Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,468 Words
  • 2,324 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Clarion - 16. Chapter 16

School started and we only saw the boys on the week-end. For the first few weeks, we missed our permanent staff. We’d meet Ralph at the diner, when he’d let us know he was passing through. He seemed happy and really appreciated the short hauls.

Cody went to check out the college and found they offered a degree in education. He interview at the school, took an entrance exam and enrolled. I was glad because I knew he was getting bored just sitting around. I had the once a month meetings in New York which meant I'd be away every month for a few days. I looked forward to these trips for one reason, there is nothing as good as a New York bagel.

Andy spent the week-ends with us as long as the roads were cleared of snow. We had dinner a few times at the Higgins. We saw Jeff when we went shopping at Ron’s. He proudly showed us his medallion every time he saw us.

I decorated the house for Halloween. No kids came except Jeff’s friends in a truck. Andy helped us hand out the candy. We dressed him up and staged him so that when the kids came down to knock on the kitchen door, he would drop a man size plastic skeleton in front of them. The girls would scream and the boys acted macho, they didn’t scream but they did jump back a little.

The next week-end, Jeff told us that his friends really had a good time at our place on Halloween. Returning from New York, I realized Thanksgiving was only a few weeks away. “Cody, what do you want to do for Thanksgiving, we could stay here or go some place? It’s your call.”

“We’ll be here for Christmas so maybe we should go where it’s warm for Thanksgiving. New Years, I want to go to New York.”

I didn’t realize that Andy had arrived.”If you go to New York for New Years, can I go with you? I won’t be any problem.”

“I can’t promise you that, it’ll depend on what your mom and dad say.” Nothing more was said but you could tell the wheels were turning.

In bed that evening, “Want to bet Jeff and Nancy Jean will want to go also.” I knew that Andy would be allowed.

Thanksgiving, we booked a four night Caribbean cruise. The boat left from Fort Lauderdale, Florida and sailed to the Bahamas, Nashua and another small island. I think the island was owned by the cruise line company. I booked an early flight out of Pittsburgh to Fort Lauderdale. Everything was set and Cody was happy.

Cody applied himself to school and was doing very well. For someone out of school for a while, I thought he was doing exceptionally well.

One evening as we were eating our dinner, Cody began to tell me about this one teacher who was hitting on him. I kept a straight face and listen to what he was saying. “The guy offered to give me private lessons to make up for the fact I haven’t been in school for a while. One of my female class mates laughed when I mentioned that to her. She said he hits on all of the older students. I told him I had a private tutor.”

I didn’t know how to react to that information. I knew I had to trust Cody but that didn’t mean I liked what I heard. I held my tongue and just gave him a kiss as I walked past.

“Do you like school or would you rather do something else.”

“What do you mean?”

“If you’re going to school because you are bored, there are other options.”

“No, I like school and want to finish. I think there are times when I wonder where my life would’ve led me if I stayed driving.”

“Even though I think education is everything doesn’t mean it has to be everything for everyone. I used education for a way to the top. Some people can find other ways. Just promise me if you ever want to stop you’ll discuss it with me.”

I started to pack for our trip; I washed out our summer clothes as it was going to be very warm in the Caribbean. I packed our swim trunks and light clothes. I did include one suit for a special night out. I had bought Cody a ring and was intended to ask him to have a commitment ceremony with me.

It wasn’t long before we were packing the car and heading toward Pittsburgh. I had given Jeff several blackberry pies for their Thanksgiving meal. Jeff said that the ‘clan’ always celebrated Thanksgiving together.

We arrived at the airport in plenty of time. There was a light snow falling but didn’t appear to be sticking to the ground. We checked in, cleared security and headed for our gate. I didn’t tell Cody but I booked us business class, there was no first class on this flight. Once we got above the clouds, the flight was very smooth. Three hours after takeoff, we were landing in Fort Lauderdale. We collected our luggage, hailed a cab and went to the embarking area. We were early, the cab driver told us embarking was at noon, and we had an hour to kill. I saw a steward and asked him if we could check our luggage since we couldn’t board the ship. He checked his roster, “You can board sir, you’re in the Captain’s cabin.” I didn’t understand what that meant. It turned out on this liner all first class cabins where referred to as the Captain’s cabin. I paid the cab driver; the steward took our luggage and led us to our cabin. “Lunch will be a buffet starting at 12:30.” I thanked him; Cody and I went and sat on the balcony overlooking the harbor.

I must’ve drifted off because the next thing I knew Cody was shaking me awake. “Let’s go and eat.”

The lunch buffet looked appetizing with various salads and marinated fish. Cody loaded up, I just had a light salad. I suggested that Cody visit the on board gym after eating his lunch. He just smiled. I knew that this was the break he was looking for.

We toured all the islands, swam in the ocean and just took the advantage of resting in the sun. Cody’s mood was improving each day and so was mine. We bought souvenirs for the boys and also for Nancy Jean. She was becoming a frequent visitor since the barbecue.

Time seems to fly fast when you are enjoying yourself. It seemed like just yesterday we had boarded the boat for our cruise and now we’re boarding again to go home. Leaning over the railing on our balcony, Cody kissed me, “Thanks Alan, this was just what I needed. Something to break the funky mood I was falling into. I was afraid if it kept up, I might lose you.”

Cody’s eyes were misty when he said all of this and truth be known so was mine. That last night, as the ship sailed for Fort Lauderdale, Cody put his words into action. I couldn’t love him enough.

We exited the ship, hailed a taxi and head for the airport. I think both of us were anxious to get home, we missed the boys.

Pittsburgh was snowed in and so we landed in Philly and had to wait until Pittsburgh airport was cleared. Evidently they had a big snow fall that lasted several days. “While we have to wait, why don’t we have something to eat? I want to try a Philly cheese steak sandwich.”

Looking around the airport, we could not find a restaurant that offered the cheese steak sandwich. Seeing one of the airline stewards; “Excuse me, we are looking for a restaurant that serves the Philly cheese steak sandwich. Do you know where we can find one?”

“I’m sorry sir, but you must leave the airport to find a place where they sell that sandwich. When you leave be sure to take your boarding pass and don’t be too long. A cabbie will take you to the best place in Philly.”

Recognizing that we could take off at any time, as soon as Pittsburgh was cleared, I hailed a cab and told him that we were looking for a shop that sold Philly cheese steak sandwiches. He took us to a shop, I asked him to wait. When we entered, it looked like an assembly line, I indicated that I wanted two and we followed it to the end, paid and left to go back to the airport. The food smelled fantastic. Cody couldn’t wait and took a bite while riding back to the airport.

While we were sitting waiting to board, we ate our sandwiches. People looked at us as we ate. A few asked where the restaurant was that sold Philly cheese steak sandwiches. Cody explained what we did.

“I lived in Philly for a long time and I never knew where that shop was located. If I had known, I would‘ve had one every day I was here.” I was about to reply when we were called to the departure gate.

We arrived at Pittsburgh 6 hours later than schedule. “I wonder how much snow is on the car, assuming we’ll be able to find the car.”

When we got to the place where the car was parked, you couldn’t even see it. The snow was so deep it covered the car totally. I clicked on the blinker from my key chain and saw what I thought was my car when in fact it was someone else’s. My car was the next lot over and the only way I could tell was the lit snow in front.

There was a crew, clearing the snow from the roads leading to the various parking places. When they cleared the snow in front of my car, “Would you help us clean the snow off my car? I’d be willing to pay you for your effort.” The crew came over and mostly using their hands cleared away enough snow so we could open the doors. Cody started the car, while I helped to clear the windows. I gave each guy a 20 and thanked them. As Cody pulled the car from the parking space, the snow slid off the roof onto the front end of the car. The snow was heavy with moisture, just right for snow/ice balls. I made a snow ball and threw it at Cody.

Cody let the snow ball hit him in the back and when he turned around he had several which he threw at me. I quickly jumped into the car, it was silly and we were acting like school boys. Cody finished clearing the snow from the hood of the car, shivering he got into the driver’s seat. He looked at me and pulled me in for what I thought was a kiss. Instead I got a face full of snow. Cody had hidden a soft snowball behind his back.

Being the gentleman, he wiped the wet snow from my face and paid for his mischievous deed with a toe tingling kiss. He was forgiven and we headed home.

We arrived home very late. As we pulled into the driveway from the main road, I noticed a light on at the house. “Who could be here this time of night?”

“If anyone it would be our permanent staff member.”

Pulling into the garage, the door leading to the first floor opened and there was our Andy. “Mom said I should come over and make sure everything was ok before you came home. Jeff brought me over.”

Cody gave Andy a hug and whispered something in his ear. Andy threw his arms around Cody’s neck and I noticed a few tears in his eyes.

Ruffling his hair, “Andy any coffee?”

Andy jumped down and ran to the kitchen. “Why was he crying?”

“I told him it meant very much for us to see him here. If I had a son, I’d want him to be exactly like him.”

“Maybe we should think about adopting. I’d love to have a little Andy around here. The kid grows on you. I wonder if Brian and Mary know the gem they have.”

I took our bags and dropped them in the bedroom and went to the kitchen for some coffee. “Andy, how was your Thanksgiving?”

“It was ok. All of the clan landed at our place and the best part was the blackberry pies. Everyone loved them, I had two pieces. Is it ok I call mom and tell her you have arrived?”

“Of course Andy, you don’t have to ask. Consider this your home away from home.” Again tears came to his eyes. I looked at Cody and nodded. He went to the bedroom and brought down a special gift we bought for Andy.

It was a butler’s apron which we had ‘permanent staff’ printed on it. At first it appeared that Andy wasn’t sure what it was, he unfurled it and saw it as an apron and not until he looked at the front did he start to laugh. He immediately put it on, Cody took a picture. “Now it’s official.”

Finishing my coffee, “It’s late; I think we should go to bed. See you in the morning Andy. I hugged him and kissed the top of his head. I was tired; all I wanted was a hot shower and my bed. As I was getting out of the shower, I heard Cody coming up the steps. I got into bed as Cody headed to the shower. I quickly fell asleep; I didn’t even hear Cody get into bed.

I was surprised in the morning when I saw Andy entering our bedroom with two coffees on a tray. But what was really amusing, he was wearing the apron we bought him. Taking the coffee, I indicated for him to lean forward as if to whisper into his ear, when he did I kissed his cheek. The result, he blushed. “Go ahead and wake him. He has slept enough.”

Cody woke up to the smell of coffee and a smiling face looking at him. “Andy, you keep this up and I’m going to adopt you or at least steal you from your parents. This is nice and I really appreciate you doing this.”

Andy smiled as if he won the lottery. ”If you’re going to get up, I’ll start breakfast.” Cody ruffled his hair and whispered something in his ear. Andy looked at me and smiled. While Andy left to make breakfast, Cody and I got dressed.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 19
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, Buz said:

I can't wait until it is safe to travel overseas again, if it ever happens.

Hang in there. It'll be safe in the later part of next year.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, Tonyr said:

Only  leaving  the apartment without the feeloing of danger all around would do it for me right now. 

You can do that if you follow the guidelines. Avoid people, wear a mask, keep the 6 foot rule and visit establishments that follow the rules. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

Another great chapter, you are spoiling us with your writing. 👍

You are too kind. I'm glad you are enjoying my stories. If you keep reading,. I'll keep posting. Next chapter up in 2 hours. Keep it a secret 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

 My Step dad would have told Jeff and his friends 'Aren't you a little old to be trick or treatin?"Kiddingly of course.I love that Andy's there a lot but doesn't he have friends?A Or are they in a secluded area.The trip to New York sounds like fun.Sadly this year they may not have the Time Square event.

Edited by weinerdog
  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

 My Step dad would have told Jeff and his friends 'Aren't you a little old to be trick or treatin?"Kiddingly of course.I love that Andy's there a lot but doesn't he have friends?A Or are they in a secluded area.The trip to New York sounds like fun.Sadly this year they may not have the Time Square event.

Good thing the story is not in the 21st century. You're never too old. Instead of going door to door, you all go to someone's house and have a party. Even Europe is getting into having Halloween parties.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, mfa607 said:

Great chapter and yes I’d love to be able to get away from home for a while!

In today's Covid19 restrictions, I think everyone wished they could go somewhere were the Covid19 is not an issue. I truly believe there will be a time, when we all can travel again. We can travel thought the world of stories/

  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter,Great vacation. Love Andy present 

it's always nice to get away for a few days. it allows you to relax and let your mind catch up

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..