Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,699 Words
  • 2,303 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Clarion - 13. Chapter 13

I spent the next 3 hours finishing the reports, making notes in the margin and checking the financial numbers. Wednesday I had to fly to New York for the meeting on Thursday and Friday. I would be home on Saturday.

Putting the reports in my brief case, I decided to go to bed. I checked on the guest room and made sure there were towels in the bathroom, set out a new toothbrush and tooth paste. I left the guest bedroom door open for Andy.

I went to shower, brush my teeth and slipped beneath the light covers of my bed. I fell asleep and didn’t hear Cody come in. I felt the bed dip and felt the kiss on my cheek. “Alan, are you asleep?”

I smiled and turned to face him, “Not quite. Did you have a nice time today?”

“Yes, I felt like a father today and I like that feeling.”

“Andy is a nice kid. I wouldn’t mind adopting a kid if I could be sure he’d be like Andy.”

“I agree, he had a ball driving the ATV. We didn’t look for nuts, he had so much fun I couldn’t make him stop and hunt for nuts.”

“I knew that would happen and it’s ok with me. Wait till he sees his motorbike. We’ll never get rid of him. After the birthdays, we need to invite the family over for a barbecue. Both boys are nice and respectful. Their parents did a good job of raising them.”

“I think it’s time for you to do a good job and raise me.” I just laughed because I knew what he wanted raised.

As I lay in his arms, I knew that this was as close to heaven I’d get on earth. Cody was everything to me and I was sure of his love. I had no jealously nor did I fear he’d ever leave me. I think that a mature love is much more dependable. When you’re young, the temptations to cheat or wander are much more than when you’re older. Being young and carefree may be nice, but I’ll take a mature love any day, it’s more lasting and much deeper.

With that thought, I fell asleep.

My trip to New York was rewarding in that this was the first time since my partial retirement I’ve been back. I had dinner that night with Robert and Brad. They brought me up to date on some issues not covered in the reports. It was good to see Robert and Brad again. In a way, I miss the comradeship we had, but then I think about my home and Cody and realize I’d never change what I have now for the Company.

While I was in New York I wanted to get a gift for Jeff’s birthday. I decided on a nice gold chain and medallion with his name engraved on the back side. I found the perfect medallion at a jeweler who I used when I lived in the city.

The meetings went well and it appeared that the new business was doing well also. The financials were reviewed and were on target. Brad told me my friend in Scotland asked about me and was very pleased to have us on board. His profits have already showed an increase.

Flying home couldn’t have happened fast enough. Cody was going to meet me at the Pittsburgh airport and drive home. I wasn’t surprised to see his side kick. As soon as Cody saw me, he handed my brief case and overnight bag to Andy and crunched me in a hug that knocked the breath out of me.

“Do I take that you’re glad to see me?”

“I’m not the only one,” tilting his head toward Andy. Andy’s face turned red. I looked at him and winked.

On the way home, “Andy, how was your birthday parties?”

For the next 50 minutes, I heard about the birthday party for Jeff and the gifts he got, his girl friend gave him a bracelet and a kiss. Andy got a gift from her as well. Andy’s birthday party was fantastic, his best friends pitched in and got him games for his game boy, his mom and dad got him a tablet computer. He proceeded to tell us about what the tablet could do and how it would help him in school.

“What else did you do when I was gone?”

“I took Cody to my favorite fishing spot, we caught the legal limit for trout. I showed Cody how to clean them. Some of them are in your freezer. We split the fish 50-50.”

“Well, it sounds like I should go away more often. Fresh caught fish and great gifts, no problems at all?”

Andy looking at Cody, “Nope everything was good.”

It was good to get home. I was tired, night flights were not my cup of tea. I much prefer morning flights and that’s what I would have taken, except, I wanted to get home to Cody as fast as possible.

I told everyone I was tired and would see them in the morning. I went and took a long hot shower to relax my muscles. I always felt a hot shower after trip was the best thing since the discovery of coffee. I soon felt a cold draft as a pair of arms went around my waist. “Did you miss me?”

“I missed you when I went back to Philly, but never like I miss you now. I’m not sure, knowing that this is my home and you are a part of it or I’m just falling more in love with you. But sleeping alone is not for me anymore. I really missed you, cuddling with a pillow is not a substitute.”

I gave him a kiss to which he responded, showing me all the love he had for me. I cuddled with him but that didn’t last long as Cody had other ideas. Afterwards, I really fell asleep, albeit I had a smile on my face.

I awoke to the smell of coffee. I was slightly baffled, there was no way I should be able to smell coffee from our bedroom. When I opened my eyes, there was Cody holding a fresh cup of coffee under my nose. What a way to be wakened.

I got up, showered, shaved and brushed my teeth. Dressed I went downstairs, breakfast was on the table. “When did we hire staff?”

“I think we have ‘temporary staff’. At least I had temporary staff while you were gone.”

“Surely not when there were birthday parties.”

“Actually I did, although I had to release temporary staff for special occasions.”

I looked at Andy, “Do you charge for your services, temporary staff?”

He looked at Cody as if he did something wrong, Cody couldn’t keep a straight face and started laughing, that set me off and lastly, Andy started laughing as well. “You obviously have done an excellent job. Don’t you think he should be rewarded for doing such an excellent job?”

“Absolutely, what do you think we should do to reward him?”

“Well, We have that old bike upstairs in the garage that you brought from Philly. Maybe that would be enough. Let’s go and see if we can get it to move. It’s probably rusted to the point we won’t be able to move it.”

Cody took Adam by the hand and led him to the garage. “Cody, I think I put your old bike in front of my car. Andy, could you get it and push it here so we can see it so we can clean it up?”

Andy went to the front of the car, I took my phone ready to take a picture. “There’s no old bike here.”

“Cody, maybe he needs help.”

Cody and I went to the front of the car. “There’s no bike here, just this motorbike.”

“Oh, well maybe that’s your old bike Cody.”

“I don’t think so. There’s a card there. Open it Andy and read it to us.”

Andy took the card and opened it. His eyes went wide and tears started to fall. He ran to Cody, hugged him and then to me. I kissed his cheek, “Happy Birthday, Andy. I hope this’ll help you to visit us whenever you can.”

“Well, let’s not stare at it Andy, push it out to the driveway and let’s see how it rides.”

Andy just kept running his hand all over the bike. It was like he was still stunned and couldn’t believe it. Cody went over and told Andy to sit on the seat. He looked at Cody, and slowly climbed on the bike, Cody pushed it out of the garage.

Once we got it in the drive way, Cody handed Andy the keys to start the motor. As if in a dream, Andy inserted the key and the motor came to life. Cody whispered something in his ear, he released the brake and rode the bike to the end of the drive way, turned around and came back. That’s all it took. From that point on Andy was in control.

It was early in the afternoon, “Andy, why don’t you ride home and show your parents your gift for working as temporary staff.” He just smiled.

Cody told him he should have a helmet when riding, he went to the bedroom and came back with a helmet for Andy.

“Andy, you mean a lot to Alan and I, we want you to be safe. Wear your helmet, watch your speed, watch the traffic, and remember you must watch the speed limit and the red lights. There's a manual, read it and be familiar with the precautions.”

“I think you should follow him in the truck, just in case he has a problem.”

“Andy, I’m going to follow you home in case your parents have any questions, ok?”

Andy just nodded his head in a positive manner and slowly headed down the drive way. Cody got into his truck and began to follow Andy. I went back to the kitchen to clean up and get another cup of coffee.

Okay, now you all can say "I knew it"
Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 16
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome chapter, Andy has crept into our hearts , I think that it's training for them to receive a youngster to under of some help andblove

  • Like 5
Link to comment

The country is definitely a different place than the big city, people don't get bent out of shape about much and appreciate tremendously a gift that is given from the heart. Andy is elated as any teenager would be with such a magnificent gift and I'm sure his parents will be just as thrilled for him. I thought it was very responsible of Alan to suggest Cody drive behind him on the first ride home - just shows how much they care about Andy. Hell, a motorbike takes time to get used to and even though Andy was all hands on deck with just one drive down the driveway, riding on the road with traffic is a completely different ball game. Gotta say though, waking up to coffee wafting right under your nose, definitely gonna have to experience that sometime soon! lol lol   

  • Like 4
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Chris L said:

The country is definitely a different place than the big city, people don't get bent out of shape about much and appreciate tremendously a gift that is given from the heart. Andy is elated as any teenager would be with such a magnificent gift and I'm sure his parents will be just as thrilled for him. I thought it was very responsible of Alan to suggest Cody drive behind him on the first ride home - just shows how much they care about Andy. Hell, a motorbike takes time to get used to and even though Andy was all hands on deck with just one drive down the driveway, riding on the road with traffic is a completely different ball game. Gotta say though, waking up to coffee wafting right under your nose, definitely gonna have to experience that sometime soon! lol lol   

You are right, someone bringing you coffee in the morning, is a treat. I send Andy over but I'm afraid on that motorbike would take too long. Andy is a nice kid, he took Cody to his favorite fishing spot.

Cody is getting very close to Andy, I wonder where that will lead.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
9 hours ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, Andy has crept into our hearts , I think that it's training for them to receive a youngster to under of some help andblove

I think you may be right. There's no question that Alan and Cody have developed a close bond with Andy

  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

Andy is over the moon and now he has easy transportation to go where he wants....except winter in that rural part of PA can have treacherous roads, better suited for a  4 wheel drive pick-up...

I wouldn't put it past Cody to go and pick him up for the week-ends.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

A beautiful story. So well written with endearing characters. Andy. The surrogate son at the moment.

I know I am not the only older gay man who regrets not being a dad. Thank you and the other writers that provide a vicarious outlet for this. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, re2 said:

A beautiful story. So well written with endearing characters. Andy. The surrogate son at the moment.

I know I am not the only older gay man who regrets not being a dad. Thank you and the other writers that provide a vicarious outlet for this. 

You're welcome. Maybe in time, gay couples will be able to adopt children without all of the hassle and discrimination. But you aren't to old to be a grandfather. There are children out there that do not have the benefit of grandparents. No one to spoil them.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

You're welcome. Maybe in time, gay couples will be able to adopt children without all of the hassle and discrimination. But you aren't to old to be a grandfather. There are children out there that do not have the benefit of grandparents. No one to spoil them.

I thought that in the US it was possible for gay couples to foster and adopt, of course I could be wrong as I live in the UK and don't follow what happens there to the same degree as you do. I'm happy to say that here in the UK gay couples can and do foster and adopt, friends of mine adopted a gorgeous little boy two years ago and they thoroughly love their son. Never give up hope. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 9/12/2020 at 8:04 PM, Daddydavek said:

Andy is over the moon and now he has easy transportation to go where he wants....except winter in that rural part of PA can have treacherous roads, better suited for a  4 wheel drive pick-up...

Yeah the earlier conversation referring to Andy motorbiking to their place and then to ride the ATV on site probably should be a summer plan and then the winter plans puts him on the safer atv when weather is not permitting a two wheeler but still suitable to drive home; otherwise, the bedroom there awaits! lol 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Mancunian said:

I thought that in the US it was possible for gay couples to foster and adopt, of course I could be wrong as I live in the UK and don't follow what happens there to the same degree as you do. I'm happy to say that here in the UK gay couples can and do foster and adopt, friends of mine adopted a gorgeous little boy two years ago and they thoroughly love their son. Never give up hope. 

Unlike many countries, the US doesn’t have a universal or national rule on fostering children and their adoptions; this falls under state management and even some states push regional management with state oversight. With the Supreme Court rulings against LGBTQ discrimination this practice of discrimination in child placements is slowing being challenged when the case can be shown to be somewhat provable.

So yes gay couples can foster and adopt, but this issue is not beyond personal discrimination to still exist with longtime employment allowing domains to be controlling with only the judicial review available to challenge as there are no national inspectors and possibly limited motivation for state review in some areas.

Edited by Philippe
  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..