Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,001 Words
  • 2,347 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Clarion - 3. Chapter 3

At 8:50 I entered the building and told the receptionist that I was Mr. Bradley and had a 9 o'clock appointment with Mr. MacRoy. She made a telephone call and soon a young man came down. He informed me he was Mr. MacRoy's secretary. I thought that was odd until the receptionist addressed him as Mr. MacRoy. I guess I looked a little startle. He smiled, “I’m also his son.”

I was shown into Mr. Angus MacRoy's office. "Thank you Thomas. Could you have Anna bring in two coffees?"

I sat in front of Mr. MacRoy's desk and opened my brief case and removed our contract. I began by explaining our company and how we help various industries maximize their profits by providing management and marketing assistance. "We analyze a company's performance against a score board of similar companies worldwide. We have clients in Europe, Asia and the Americas. Our data base is quite extensive so we’re able to plot a company's performance quite accurately."

As I finished that part of the presentation, Anna brought in our coffee with a small plate of muffins. "Anna, could you ask Thomas and Andrew to step in. I’d like them to be a part of this discussion."

Mr. MacRoy explained that his son was learning the business and Andrew was his chief financial officer. When Thomas entered he suggested we move to the conference room where we’d not feel so cramped in the office. "Leave your coffee and Anna can bring us a fresh cup in the conference room."

When we went into the conference room, Mr. MacRoy introduced Andrew Gordon indicating he was the firm’s chief financial officer. I gave a quick recap of whom I represented and then began to talk about their firm and what we could do for them. I mention that our analysis of their firm showed that they should be making profits over 11% and currently they are only making approximately 6 %. I noticed a look between Mr. MacRoy and Andrew Gordon. From that moment, I think I had everyone's attention.

They knew that they weren't matching the competition but didn't know how to change. I showed them the contract for our services. They liked the idea of the progression of fees based on their profits. The contract was only for three years. I explained that normally our contracts are for five years with a negotiated renewal clause.

Mr. MacRoy asked why this contract is only for three years if normally the contracts are for 5 years. I explained as a new client, we need to prove to you what we can do. After the three years, we’ll offer you a five year contract with our normal 10 percent. "I should mention while the contract is in effect, we’ll be monitoring your operations. Of course, your information will be kept private."

"We‘d like a few minutes to discuss this if that’s alright?"

"Certainly and I’m willing to discuss any point that you may not understand."

The three of them left the room. I could tell by their body actions they’d sign the contract. While I was waiting, Anna came in with another cup of coffee. I asked her to book a restaurant for the 4 of us for lunch.

About 11:30 the team came back with smiles, I knew they’d sign. I informed them I had booked a restaurant for lunch and would like them to be my guest. Since they agreed, we then proceeded to sign the contract, requesting a copy for me. At lunch, I gave Mr. MacRoy our assessment and recommendations to improve his profits. I told him we‘d review his financial performance every 3 months, making recommendations as appropriate. If problems appear to persist, we will send knowledgeable people to assist you in the troubled area. "I want to make sure you understand, we’ll work with you to increase your profits."

We departed after lunch as business friends. "I look forward to a successful business venture with you and your company, Mr. MacRoy.”

I returned to the hotel to have the signed contract airmailed to Dave. I sat in the lobby and reviewed the material for this afternoon’s presentation. The formats of the contracts were pretty much the same. Our fees were based on the starting profit base of the company and pretty much followed the guide lines presented to Mr. MacRoy, except if the firm was already at 10%, then our base fee is 5% increasing to 10% for a profit of 18 percent

I took a taxi to the offices of the prospect client as to arrive at 2 PM. The presentation pretty much followed the morning presentation. I arranged to have dinner with the client and key personnel upon signing of the contract.

Returning to the hotel, I had received a message from Charles. He had found a contractor and wanted to discuss it with me. I placed a call to his home, as it was late when I called, Nora answered. I asked how the stay at Cook Forest was. After chatting for a little, I spoke to Charles.

"I interviewed several contractors but the man I liked was a Mennonite by the name of Noah Haas. He has a good reputation and I think he’ll do an excellent job. I checked out some of his jobs and everyone gave him an excellent recommendation."

"Ok, I’m willing to go along with your recommendation. I’ll set up a construction account at the bank and give you the authority to draw from it. Just keep me up to date with the expenses so I can monitor the bank account and add money as needed."

"That’ll be great. How is your trip going? I assume you are making a lot of money for your company."

Chuckling, "We’re doing ok so far. By the way, I have started to lay out the design of the kitchen. I can't wait to see the house finished. Thanks for the update, keep me posted"

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

19 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

The business trip is going well, the new clients seem happy. They are ready to start building his dream house.

I know where that house will be built, it will be a local attraction when it is done.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Nothing better than building a new home. So enjoy this story as it intertwines the business aspect of earning and the longterm aspect of building a home starting afresh and new. It's like reading a spring rain right before the flowers blossom. LOL!!! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

I know where that house will be built, it will be a local attraction when it is done.

As an architect i can't wait to get to know what it's gonna look like.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Nothing better than building a new home. So enjoy this story as it intertwines the business aspect of earning and the longterm aspect of building a home starting afresh and new. It's like reading a spring rain right before the flowers blossom. LOL!!! 

I think you are a poet. I appreciate your poetic comment.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Tonyr said:

As an architect i can't wait to get to know what it's gonna look like.

I think I have included enough information for you to build on, it'll have to be in Clarion.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

There are so many stories about young people - which is fine - but it is also refreshing for those of us who have attained a certain age to read about people who are older that 20!  We more mature individuals still have life in us!

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Chris L said:

Nothing better than building a new home. So enjoy this story as it intertwines the business aspect of earning and the longterm aspect of building a home starting afresh and new. It's like reading a spring rain right before the flowers blossom. LOL!!! 

Thanks for the comment. You have the makings of a poet. A new start can be exciting.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, pvtguy said:

There are so many stories about young people - which is fine - but it is also refreshing for those of us who have attained a certain age to read about people who are older that 20!  We more mature individuals still have life in us!

Yes we do. I think you'll like this story.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Tonyr said:

As an architect i can't wait to get to know what it's gonna look like.

I will try and give you a good idea. You'll have to use your imagination.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

nice story telling, I'm enjoying getting to know our leading man.

I can tell you this, he's a loving and generous man.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

A great chapter, why did the architect say that the builder is a menorite? I person should be hired on their ability to do the job and the quality of the work that is provided 

Link to comment
29 minutes ago, Bft said:

A great chapter, why did the architect say that the builder is a menorite? I person should be hired on their ability to do the job and the quality of the work that is provided 

Menorites are excellent builders and well known for the quality of their work. I had a home built by them, honest, hard working and met the time table. That is their reputation besides there is a large minority community there 

Link to comment
1 minute ago, CLJobe said:

Menorites are excellent builders and well known for the quality of their work. I had a home built by them, honest, hard working and met the time table. That is their reputation besides there is a large minority community there 

Never heard of it before 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..