Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,444 Words
  • 2,327 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Security - 22. Chapter 22

I spent my time between the Gulf cottage and the California cottage. The condo board notified me that they had successfully rented my condo in New York. So that end was tied up.

The audit of Adams Security was completed and the books were in order. One outcome was a recommendation of an employee to head up the company, Jonathan McCabe had a university degree in management. When we notified him of his promotion, he was extremely happy, something about the previous owner ignoring his advice which caused the company to lose several potential contracts.

I realized that my life had taken a jump. Manufacturing my bracelets, sitting on the Board of Adams Security, and following up with David on the Prime Minister's contract kept me busy. I devoted some time to Bobby and I stayed in contact with Noah and Gwen. We talked about a reunion of our college mates but that never happened, at least till now.

I thought I was busy before, but it was like a vacation when I was working for Global as compared with now. Between the bracelets, Adams Security, consulting with Global I was busy, but I still made time for my morning runs. I needed that time to think and of course, staying in shape. With this workload, I needed to be physically in top shape and running provided the relief I needed.

Adams was like most security firms, offering alarm systems with a keypad for activation. I made one suggestion, being careful not to infringe upon my patents and business deal with Global, I had the technical department work on a lock system that automatically enables the security system when the doors were locked. The insertion of the proper key would disarm the security system, any other key or attempts at unlocking the door would trigger the alarm.

Johnathan was quite excited about the key-lock system. “Charles, this will give us an edge in the market. We have a lot of competitors.”

“You should have someone do a market analysis. Let’s see what’s out there and then devise a program to provide better services. If there is an edge to this home security, we need to find it. Have your legal people file a patent on this new system. We don’t want people copying us without some licensing fees.”

I flew to California, I wanted to check on Bobby. I needed to see his schedule and see what he planned on doing over spring break. I knew he’d want to come home for Easter but not sure what he wanted to do with the rest of his time off. I also needed to check to make sure everything was okay at the cottage. I had left Noah to know I was arriving, he met me at the airport. “Gwen will have dinner for us so I’ll take you to your cottage after dinner.” That was okay with me, I enjoyed my time with Noah and Gwen. It was a perfect time to catch up, also to learn how Bobby is doing in school.

“Chaz, have you thought about creating a scholarship fund in memory of Lee? Gwen and I think he would’ve gone for something like that if he could have a say.”

“I haven’t thought about it. It might be possible, but what would be the main area of interest, Lee was into computers.”

“You could set up a scholarship for computer technology, maybe a mix of computer and engineering.”

“Your school doesn’t offer a course like that. I’d have to set up the scholarship with a technical school.”

“Gwen and I have been thinking of moving further up the coast. There’s a university that offers technical degrees and oceanography.”

“That would cause a problem for me. If Bobby finds out you’re moving, he’ll want to change colleges. If he does, then there’s his scholarship here. What happens to that?”

“You could leave it to the school. They could use it to bring in visiting staff. But you’d probably have to pay for Bobby’s costs at the new university. He might be able to get some kind of scholarship but it wouldn’t pay for everything like he has now. Chaz, this is a lifetime opportunity for Gwen and me. My salary almost doubles and I’d be heading up my marine exploration team.”

“I need to think about this and I need Bobby’s input. Have you said anything to him?”

“No, not till I talked to you.”

“Do you have information on this school?”

“Yes, I have recruitment brochures which include the various disciplines. Chaz, I have to take it. It’s a lifetime dream, maybe I could become another Jacque Cousteau.”

I smiled, I agreed, Noah really couldn’t pass this up. I wonder what Bobby will do, he now has a girlfriend at his school. Life is full of opportunities, times passing them up is best and sometimes if you don’t take advantage of them you’ll regret it the rest of your life. “I’ll look through this brochure, talk to Bobby and get back to you. I’ll put a positive spin on it. I’m glad for you Noah, I’m sure I’ll be reading about you. I think I’ll start referring to you as Jacque.”

“Thanks, Chaz. I appreciate your support. Think about the Lee scholarship.”

Noah drove me back to my cottage, Bobby was there waiting for me. “I thought you would be here sooner.”

“I had dinner with Noah and Gwen. Did you know that Noah was going to a new school?”

“No, where’s he going?”

“He’s going to California State at Monterey Bay. He will head up their Marine Biology department.”

“That would be a good move on his part. I wish he was there when I was looking. I still have my scholarship at San Jose. I don’t think it would move with me.”

“Maybe, after you finish your first year, you can apply for a scholarship there.”

“Do you think I could transfer there and take my scholarship with me?”

“No, I don’t think that would work. Why don’t you talk with Noah and see what he recommends.” I could tell he was bothered about the change. It would be hard to pick up and move. He probably would lose credits which means he may have to take certain classes over again.

The next morning always clears away the cobwebs of the night before. Bobby and I ran along the coast, “Do you think I could save up enough money this summer to pay for my first year at Monterey Bay?”

“I don’t know but I doubt you’d make enough working for your dad. Let me give it some thought, I might come up with something.”

Later that morning, I called Noah. I talked about setting up another scholarship for Bobby. I told him Bobby would want to transfer to his new school. “Chaz, why don’t you just tell the boy you’ll pay for his education as long as he shares with you any of his findings and writings. He could pay you back that way. What you did to allow him to go to school was okay but I think now you need to be open with him. He’s nineteen, not a kid anymore. Give him an interest-free loan.”

I took what Noah said and decided to talk with Bobby that evening. Rosa fixed dinner and little Carlitos was sitting on Bobby’s lap eating his dinner, I mean eating Bobby’s dinner. He was still a little shy around me, but it appears that he and Bobby have become friends. I smiled as Rosa added more food to Bobby’s plate.

After dinner and Rosa had left with Carlitos, I decide to speak to Bobby about transferring and the funding for his college expenses. “Bobby, I think if you want to transfer to Noah’s school we can work something out. You won’t be able to take the scholarship with you, but I have a deal for you. I’ll loan you the money at no interest. For every A you get, I’ll forget some of the loan. Then when you graduate and have a job, you can pay me back. What do you think?”

“I don’t know that’s a lot of money.”

“Yes, but you can reduce the amount you’ll have to pay me back by getting A’s in your classes. Maybe with enough A’s, I’ll have to pay you. Think about it, talk it over with your parents or whoever you value their opinion and let me know.” I knew he would talk it over with Noah. I also knew what Noah would say. For me, it was a fait compli

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 38
  • Love 18
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Interesting developments, Noah will no doubt get him on board he will take the deal I am sure and end up not paying anything back

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Interesting developments, Noah will no doubt get him on board he will take the deal I am sure and end up not paying anything back

If Bobby is smart he won't.  I think it is a clever way to encourage Bobby to get A's

  • Like 1
Link to comment
49 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

If Bobby is smart he won't.  I think it is a clever way to encourage Bobby to get A's

I think a lot of people would thrive on a system like that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

I think a lot of people would thrive on a system like that.

I knew I would.  Might have gone on for my Doctorate

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I think that Bobby is smart, but he has a bond with Noah now and relies on him as a mentor where his education is concerned. I think it would be a good move, but if they both go it would break little Carlito's heart:thumbdown:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, Kev said:

I think that Bobby is smart, but he has a bond with Noah now and relies on him as a mentor where his education is concerned. I think it would be a good move, but if they both go it would break little Carlito's heart:thumbdown:

Bobby looks at Noah for his scholastic guidance. Chaz is a good friend and that will always be their tie.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I think Bobby will thrive at the new college, will Chaz sell the cottage and buy one closer to Bobby and bring Rosa and Carlito along?

  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

I think Bobby will thrive at the new college, will Chaz sell the cottage and buy one closer to Bobby and bring Rosa and Carlito along?

 No, actually Bobby will be able to commute. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..