Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,304 Words
  • 2,425 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Security - 19. Chapter 19

I watched as Bobby got the grill out, cleaned it up, and started to grill the chicken. I opened a box of frozen fries, placed them on a sheet, and popped them in the oven. The salad was easy, I used a mix that I bought and just needed to add dressing. Before we sat down to eat, I refilled our wine glass. Even though we ate pretty much in silence, Bobby’s mind wasn’t with me. As we were finishing our dinner, “I’m staying here. I’ll go home for Christmas, but I’ll be back Christmas night.”

I didn’t say a thing, Bobby is almost nineteen, he can make up his mind in regards to his parents. It’s his dad who’ll be hurt the most. He loves that boy and doesn’t always agree with the way his wife gives in to Mark.

I had a modified gold bracelet for Bobby, I only equipped it with the light and phone connection. I also modified it so that I could remove it at a later date and complete the assembly. “Bobby, here is your Christmas gift. When you are twenty-five, I’ll adjust it to work like it’s designed to work. For now, your bracelet will phone 911 and shine a bright blinding light if you are ever in a spot. Only I can remove it safely, anyone else tries, the inside will melt and if it gets on them it will mark them.”

“Wait till Mark sees this. He’ll think we’re an item.”

I laughed, “As long as you and I know the truth that’s all that’s necessary. How’s school coming along, No girlfriends yet?”

“Well, there’s this one girl in my economics class. She sits in front of me, I don’t know what perfume she wears, but it smells nice.”

I smiled, “What about that girl you were sweet on, the one that always was here with you.” “

We never really dated, more or less hung out together. I knew if I went away to college I wouldn’t have time for a girlfriend and so I played it cool. I think she realized that college had to be over before we could get serious. So we dated and had fun, she went to college upstate, I think she might be home. I’ll call her and catch up.”

“Maybe before we go to New York you can have a pool party. But remember my rules, until you are twenty-one.” I smiled as he did also.

Robert opened his grocery store the day after Christmas. I wanted to talk to him about Bobby and Mark. I also needed to buy food for the pool party tonight. Walking into the store, I noticed it wasn’t busy. “Robert, business is slow?”

“Yes, this is normal for the next few days. Gives me time to rotate stock, clean places that we can’t do when the store is normally busy.”

“Robert, Bobby seems upset by his Uncle Mark. I was surprised when he came over to the cottage on Christmas Eve, he was quite upset.”

“Yes, I knew that was where he went. For some unknown reason, Mark always tried to control everything Bobby does. He was very upset about him choosing you over him. He brings it up every time the subject of Bobby going to University in California instead of New York. I try to support Bobby but in his mom’s eyes, Mark can do no wrong.”

"Well, Bobby is a great boy. He’s smart and dedicated to his education, you couldn’t ask for a better son. If I was married and had a son, I’d pray he was like Bobby. Somehow, you need to tame Mark or you will lose a son. He didn’t want to come home, he’s going to reach twenty-one and you will lose a son, who you may see or not. Mark is destroying your relationship with your son.”

“I don’t know what to do, he’s the only family that Ruth has and I think she is afraid of losing him. He’s two years older than her and he always protected her when they were growing up. In her eyes, he can do no wrong.”

“I don’t envy you but you should know, that Bobby is having a pool party tonight with his old gang. In the morning, we’re leaving for New York. Bobby wanted to come with me and I said it was okay. You can get him to change his mind if you put a chain on Mark. If you don’t take an active role, you may lose your son when he turns twenty-one. He respects you and loves both of you, but he doesn’t like Mark. Something happen when he stayed in New York with him. I think that’s the key.”

“If it’s okay with you, I’ll stop by your place tonight.”

“I think that’s a good idea.”

Finished shopping, I went home and started to set up for Bobby’s party. I wonder what Robert is going to say to Bobby.

Bobby started the grill. He put the beers on ice and made sure trays of condiments were placed on the patio. I helped him with the cheese, tomato, and lettuce platter. We had just finished when there was a knock on the door. Bobby went to answer probably thinking it was his friends. “Dad, what brings you here?”

“We need to talk”

I watched Bobby take his dad to his bedroom. I don’t know what Robert had planned, I hoped it put right whatever Bobby was having a hard time with. Bobby was still talking to his dad as his friends started to show up. I escorted them to the patio telling them that Bobby would be out soon. I think the noise of the kids in the pool brought Bobby out of his room. He hugged his dad before he left. “You have a party.”

I watched from my bedroom, they had a good time. Bobby brought me a hamburger and a bottle of beer. I listened to them talking, a few talked about what was happening in town, some talk about their experience at college, and the girl that Bobby was with before college was telling Bobby about meeting a young man at her college. Bobby said something and they both laughed.

The party broke up late, a few of the guys stayed to help clean up. When the last person left, I went to ask Bobby how the party went. “I was surprised at all of the changes. We are now two groups, one that stayed here and one that went to college.”

“I didn’t think that there would be enough work in this town to keep people gainful employed.” “

You’re right but there’s always tourist season. Boating and fishing provided enough work to last them through the non-season. There are some businesses here as well. Boatbuilding is a big business as well as the many shops. Dad will need someone to replace me.”

“I guess the cost of living here is not that high.”

“No, it isn’t, except for the occasional storm, life is pretty laid back. People here don’t need the latest and best that manufacturers offer.”

“I enjoyed the laid-back attitude. It’s relaxing and comfortable. No one to impress and people are accepted for what they are and not who they know, quite the opposite of the big cities.”

“Chaz, my dad and I have talked. I think I’d like to stay here till it’s time to go back to California. I hope you aren’t mad.”

“Bobby, I think that’s a good decision. Maybe you can set your Uncle Mark straight.”

After saying that, we began to laugh. Bobby knew if problems came up he could stay at the cottage. I called the pilots, they will have the plane ready by noon.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 14
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I hope Robert also speaks to his wife about the Uncle 5%/Bobby situation would she rather lose Bobby instead of her brother?And I hope Mark will be able to take a step back but I'm not holding my breath.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Great chapter, I am glad that Bobby and his dad had a chat ,I think that the break while he stays there is going either break the family up or do what's right and put the uncle firmly back into his pathetic little box and send him back  via courier to new York

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Someone needs to read Uncle 5% the riot act, while he may be related, he needs to understand that is where it ends and butt the f*%k out!!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Good for Chaz stepping in and talking to Robert,,,now if only mark will end up as some aggressive butch daddys slave,,,,,,,,this story would become all peaches, cream and sunshine !   hehe

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

I know bobby's mother love her brother, but a parent should put her child first, surely she can see what is happening with Bobby and Mark. I fear now that there will be a massive blow up and Robert will be placed having to choose between them. No win situation for anyone.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

So sad that his Uncle Mark has so much sway...maybe things will change...great chapter!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
13 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I hope Robert also speaks to his wife about the Uncle 5%/Bobby situation would she rather lose Bobby instead of her brother?And I hope Mark will be able to take a step back but I'm not holding my breath.

Bobby has a decision to make but his talk with his father will lead to a fight at home. Maybe that will clear the air and allow Bobby to feel better about staying home. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
13 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, I am glad that Bobby and his dad had a chat ,I think that the break while he stays there is going either break the family up or do what's right and put the uncle firmly back into his pathetic little box and send him back  via courier to new York

 

I was glad Bobby and his dfad had a talk.  I don' think his dad knew what went on in New York but I'll bet now he does.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
13 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Someone needs to read Uncle 5% the riot act, while he may be related, he needs to understand that is where it ends and butt the f*%k out!!!

I expect after Bobby and his dad had a chat, there will be a riot act at home. Maybe between dad and mom.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
12 hours ago, soundaddict_nz said:

Good for Chaz stepping in and talking to Robert,,,now if only mark will end up as some aggressive butch daddys slave,,,,,,,,this story would become all peaches, cream and sunshine !   hehe

Chaz certainly didn't want to see Bobby disenfranchise himself from his family over Mark.  Encouraging Robert to chat with Bobby was the right thing to do.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Chris L said:

I would imagine that Uncle Jackass got a new ass, or should have, after Robert found out about the sexual innuendos when Bobby stayed with him. There definitely would've been a coming to jeezuz if Bobby were my son and I found out that shit - especially happening when Bobby was underage ... jackass would've had both my feet planted firmly in his ass on the say out the door ... never to be welcomed back! 

I agree, if he is still there my foot would leave a mark.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Kev said:

I know bobby's mother love her brother, but a parent should put her child first, surely she can see what is happening with Bobby and Mark. I fear now that there will be a massive blow up and Robert will be placed having to choose between them. No win situation for anyone.

I think Bobby's mother is the one who will have to make a choice. If she stays, Mark is a lost relative, if she leaves then Mark must contend with that

  • Like 4
Link to comment
10 hours ago, mfa607 said:

So sad that his Uncle Mark has so much sway...maybe things will change...great chapter!

Now that Robert knows more about what went on in New York, I expect sparks to fly at home.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Yes we will see where the Mother's true feelings align! Somehow I feel she will not believe her brother is capable of any wrong doings and will cast doubt on what Bobby has to say!!!  Great great story CL Jobe!  Thank you!   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, KayDeeMac said:

Yes we will see where the Mother's true feelings align! Somehow I feel she will not believe her brother is capable of any wrong doings and will cast doubt on what Bobby has to say!!!  Great great story CL Jobe!  Thank you!   

It is evident that Bobby's mother believes that Uncle Mark can do no wrong. I have a hard time with a mother that puts her brother, or anyvmembe3r of her family, over her son our children. That goes against everything I have ever known.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Unless Uncle Mark controls his parent's Estate and that's why Bobby's mother is 'beholding' to him because he controls the money; she should tell him to shove off. Perhaps when Bobby's dad tells her what happened in New York ( and whatever Mark :evil: did to Bobby ) she'll make the right decision.

Sorry the comments are a bit behind where the story is, I'm catching up :read: a quickly as I can.

So far a good story and good characters. From my 'editor's point of view, there's still some errors (grammer, punctuation etc) but my 'Red Pencil' is out of lead. 📝

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..