Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,140 Words
  • 2,600 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Security - 12. Chapter 12

That evening at dinner, I informed the Prime Minister that I’ll be leaving the company after this project has been successfully concluded. He wanted my assurance that if they go through with the project, I’ll stay involved. I assured him I’d be involved until the project was deemed successful. I also assured him that team leading the project has quite a bit of experience on other projects and would do quite well on this project.

David and the guys had cleared the room of the devices they installed except the Prime Minister wanted the camera that we used to record the meeting left as installed. We agreed in good faith, looking forward to a successful installation.

I stayed for one more day and departed for home on Thursday. I had a meeting with David before I left instructing him to call me if there are any problems. I had estimated that the job would take a minimum of six to nine months. We also would need to supplement the crew with electricians, and other building crafts, i.e. carpenters and cabinet makers.

On Thursday I flew home. The guys took the proposal and began to price out the various programs that would complete the project. David reviewed the numbers with me and I reminded him to include our contingency factor.

Arriving at my cottage Thursday evening, Bobby was swimming with a few of his friends. The cottage was clean, with no liquor anywhere. He did have burgers on the grill. I walked out to the pool, Bobby didn’t know what to do, he hadn’t asked but since he abided by my rules, I was okay with it. “Any hamburgers left or beer?”

Bobby smiled, “Yes hamburgers but not beer. We have ice tea.”

I went and changed into my comfortable clothes. Called Noah, confirmed our arrival Friday morning, called my realtor, and told him I’ll inspect the cottage Friday and if it’s as he said, I'll have a cashier’s check ready for him. Then I went for my hamburger.

The boys swam around, horsed around for a while, then decided to go home. “Chaz, you aren’t mad at me asking the guys over for a swim?”

“No Bobby, I’m not mad. But I would’ve been if there was beer. I trust you to know my rules and I don’t mind you having some friends over.”

“Thanks, Chaz. When are we going to California?”

“Tonight, well actually this morning. We’ll leave at five am, so pack tonight and get some sleep. You’ll have a busy day tomorrow.”

I didn’t worry about waking Bobby, he pounded on my door and said breakfast was ready. “Did you sleep at all last night?”

“Yes, a little, I’m very excited about going to California and I just tossed and turned. So after a while, I got up, fixed breakfast, and then called you.”

I could see the excitement in his eyes, he was bouncing on his feet when he wasn’t sitting down. “Packed?”

“Yes, the day I called you, I started packing.”

You could see the excitement and a little trepidation in his eyes. I think more excitement than any false fear. I was getting a little excited for him as well. Breakfast finished, “Did you say goodbye to your mom and dad?”

“I called, dad answered, he said to have a good trip and to call when we got there. I didn’t speak to mom and dad didn’t mention she was up.”

“Okay, get the luggage in the car and we can lock up and leave.”

Driving to the airport, every time I glanced at him he was smiling. I wonder what he was thinking. I parked the car in my usual spot, Marco waved us on the plane. I helped him stow our luggage, “Carlos went to get some coffee and will be right back. We’re cleared for take off so no problem.”

Carlos brought more than coffee, he had several egg sandwiches, cartons of orange juice, and some donuts. I suppose the donuts are for him and Marco and maybe Bobby, they know I don’t eat sweets in the morning.

Bobby looked the plane over, Marco showed him the cockpit and then told him we were ready to leave. He came and sat next to me. “Once we get to altitude, you can have a cup of coffee or orange juice and an egg sandwich if you’re still hungry.”

“Maybe some juice, I don’t think I could eat anything.”

I noticed he was a little nervous. He kept looking at me and smiling. The take-off was smooth, Marco and Carlos could fly in a circle and you would never feel it. They were excellent pilots and I was glad I had them.

While in flight, I received a call from David. The Prime Minister wanted to know if we could break the project down into a series of smaller projects and price each separately. “We could do that but the overall cost of the project would be more. Did he indicated why?”

“No, but I got the impression from the General that he is concerned about how the public will feel about spending so much money on security for the palace. There appears to be a faction that thinks the palace should be a tourist attraction, which would generate revenue.”

“That has been the trend in some countries that once had royalty. What’s the General’s position?”

“He said that the conversion to a tourist attraction is a strong possibility. He thinks that the minimum we should do is secure the doors. Did you know that the Prime Minister will complete his tenure in two years?”

“No, I’m guessing that those running for Prime Minister are in favor of the tourist attraction. How about the Chamber?”

“They seem to be leaning to keep the palace as is with a few exceptions. They think they can do both. The idea is to create offices and personal space and open the rest to the public, like the throne room, dining hall, and royal bedrooms. We could do this but the cost will be higher since we’ll need to monitor the public area, the office area, and the private areas.”

“What are the chances of that happening?”

“The General said it was the best option offering the public. He has been talking to one of the contenders for the position which he says is open to the idea."

“Okay, get a layout of the building, sit down with the General and Prime Minister, mark up the various areas and bring it back to the States. Tell them we need to review it and make a new proposal. How would the family like a vacation in California?”

“Sounds great to me. I’ll check with Pete and Jim and see what they say.”

“Okay, let me know.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 38
  • Love 14
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

WOW, a lot going on in this chapter. When reading, I just felt the smile on Bobby's face and his excitement as they headed off to his new Big Adventure. Shocking his parents weren't more excited for him. Sad! 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Except for that ill fated time he spent two weeks with his uncle I'm guessing Bobby hasn't gone on too many trips he's acting like all of this is brand new.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great chapter, some progress, but the whole tender/contract, is now being changed, interesting what is going to happen in the future, some surprises when they get to California

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Chris L said:

WOW, a lot going on in this chapter. When reading, I just felt the smile on Bobby's face and his excitement as they headed off to his new Big Adventure. Shocking his parents weren't more excited for him. Sad! 

Yes, Chaz was excited for him even though Chaz had set the whole thing up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Except for that ill fated time he spent two weeks with his uncle I'm guessing Bobby hasn't gone on too many trips he's acting like all of this is brand new.

You are right, except for the Uncle trip he has been mostly a stay home kid.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, some progress, but the whole tender/contract, is now being changed, interesting what is going to happen in the future, some surprises when they get to California

For Bobby there will be a lot of surprises, Chaz has a few tricks up his sleeve .

The General will make sure he gets his security package.  It's amusing that they want separate packages which will total more than the initial proposal.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Sounds like this contract will be a contractors dream, filled with multiple, expensive change orders!!

WTF...Tell Pete to stay home!!!

Okay, get a layout of the building, sit down with the General and Prime Minister, mark up the various areas and bring it back to the States. Tell them we need to review it and make a new proposal. How would the family like a vacation in California?”

“Sounds great to me. I’ll check with Pete and Jim and see what they say.”

Link to comment
12 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Sounds like this contract will be a contractors dream, filled with multiple, expensive change orders!!

WTF...Tell Pete to stay home!!!

Okay, get a layout of the building, sit down with the General and Prime Minister, mark up the various areas and bring it back to the States. Tell them we need to review it and make a new proposal. How would the family like a vacation in California?”

“Sounds great to me. I’ll check with Pete and Jim and see what they say.”

Yes and the funny part is the  Chamber won't recognize the increase cost because they can't seem to agree on the initial contract or perhap[s not one is adding up the pieces. The problem when a country is led by an organization 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Kev

Posted (edited)

I could do with a vacation in California, all we're getting over here at the moment are STAYCATIONS... New word that everyone now thinks is the norm.

Life is S**t but it will get back to normal. One hundred years ago Spanish Flu killed millions and lasted over three years but life resumed and people got on with life as best they could rebuilding... currently we have only been in this S**Tstorm for a year. Hopefully the vaccines will make a difference and normality will return all the quicker to enable us all to start the rebuilding process. Is it me, or does there seem to be a cull of the population every hundred years or so.

Rant over, 🤪I need something to smile about ! ! !

Edited by Kev
  • Like 2
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Kev said:

I could do with a vacation in California, all we're getting over here at the moment are STAYCATIONS... New word that everyone now thinks is the norm.

Life is S**t but it will get back to normal. One hundred years ago Spanish Flu killed millions and lasted over three years but life resumed and people got on with life as best they could rebuilding... currently we have only been in this S**Tstorm for a year. Hopefully the vaccines will make a difference and normality will return all the quicker to enable us all to start the rebuilding process. Is it me, or does there seem to be a cull of the population every hundred years or so.

Rant over, 🤪I need something to smile about ! ! !

Remember that special soup that was made when you were sick, Mom made a broth,. not sure what was in it but I always felt better after drinking it.  I'll bet there is a special food that makes yoiu feel better as well. Go have some

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Kev could be right.  Pandemics are not new. They have been happening for thousands of years!  Maybe culling - who knows!!!

Link to comment
2 hours ago, KayDeeMac said:

Kev could be right.  Pandemics are not new. They have been happening for thousands of years!  Maybe culling - who knows!!!

One would hope not but unfortunately you are right. It seems there are periodic conditions that leave several m millions dead. Like Covid19

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..