Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 832 Words
  • 2,874 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Security - 3. Chapter 3

Sunday I met with the team. Our meeting is scheduled for Monday but I wanted everything to be ready so there would be no last-minute hang-ups.

“Jim, do you have the door rigged?”

“Yes, we tested it, but we had to adjust the sensor. We need to think of a mechanism or a different placement to avoid sensor adjustments.”

“Good point make a note and we can work on it back at the lab. This will be a good check on the total system, let’s take notes.”

“The room sensors are set up. We tested the voice-activated system and we’ll need to be careful where we place them. If you are close to the sensor, voice is fine but as you move away the volume decreases. Probably need to put an automatic volume adjustment in the units.”

“How about the cameras?”

“They are working, coverage per camera is about 120 degrees. We just need to be careful how we place them.”

“Good, this will be a sensitive installation if we get the job. The country isn’t too keen on electronic systems, even though this isn’t electronic some components are. Let’s test what we have. I’ll order lunch to be served here and you guys can invite your wives.”

While I ordered lunch, the guys called their wives. ”Chaz, there will only be us for lunch. Seems the wives have met someone who is taking them to some tea cafe for lunch.”

“Okay, what do you want for lunch?”

“Get an assortment of sandwiches with chips.”

We chatted some more about the setup and modifications. “I was thinking about a modification. If we could place a secure system, besides normal locks, that would be able to go into a lockdown mode, we might be able to expand the business. What do you think?”

“We do have that door lock which the system can disable. We could modify that for the windows.”

“We also need to modify the voice recognition system to have it verify the voice with the picture.”

“That is an easy modification, we can do that through a program change. The other lock modifications will require mechanical as well as program modifications.”

“I was wondering if we offered a modified door jamb that included a bolt action so that on a lockdown the bolt would lock the door. We should also think of a metal door encased in wood.”

“Could we do that for windows as well?”

“Our perimeter systems are quite extensive. We could mount shutters on the windows that would be activated in a shutdown.”

Yes, we could do the same with doors.”

“Maybe that is the way we should go, installation would be easier and cheaper. All we would need is a program change and additional sensors”

“There’s lunch. I’m going to have some fun. Stop where you are, identify yourself.”

We watched as the boy with the cart looked around to see who had spoken.

“What is your name?”

“Carl” The boy was confused as he looked around puzzled.

Dave opened the door, “We want to thank you for not only delivering our lunch but helping us with our security system. The voice you heard was Jim. He’s the one over there.”

“I didn’t see anyone but the voice sounded like he was behind me. If he’s over there how did I hear him so close when I was in the hall?”

“We design security systems and we were testing out a system that would allow a client to determine who was at the door before opening the door.” The boy shook his head, left the cart, leaving the room. Still a little confused, as he looked around the hall.

“Okay, guys let’s have lunch, and then we can call it a day. Our guest should be here tomorrow morning at about ten. We can meet for breakfast here at the hotel or the coffee shop where you will usually find me in the morning. Your choice”

The coffee shop won out when I said I’d pay for breakfast. With the guys having the evening off, I went to my cottage. I had a few projects I wanted to work on, one was the scholarship for Bobby.

Monday was going to be a busy day starting with breakfast. Have you ever notice when you are paying for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, everyone shows up early. I finished my run at seven, dressed, and reach the breakfast cafe at eight-thirty. I expected to be alone so I was surprised when everyone was there, including the wives. “You all must be hungry.”

“No, but anytime you’re paying, it would be rude for us not to show up.”

“Thank you, Peter”

We gave our order and found seats. I don’t think the small cafe was ever this full. There wasn’t a seat left open. A few regulars came in and order their breakfast to go. From the looks they gave us, they certainly weren’t happy.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 44
  • Love 6
  • Haha 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter, interesting developments, seems that they will get a lot work without anyone knowing that the security is in place

  • Like 4
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

There's always a need for good security, let's hope there is good news on the scholarship!!

I'm sure Chaz will look into it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Chris L said:

It's a wonder Carl didn't pee his pants when a voice came booming out of nowhere ... I would have! LOL!!! LOL!!! 

No you wouldn't.  You're joshing me.  I wonder bow long it took Carl to tell the remaining staff when he got back to tihe kitchen

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, interesting developments, seems that they will get a lot work without anyone knowing that the security is in place

Let's see how these important clients react tomorrow when they arrive for the presentation

  • Like 3
Link to comment

The men he has the meetings with do they live in that city/town?Or did they have to travel there?I only ask because all the guys seemed casual about their wives all meeting someone for lunch at a tea cafe.They are in the security business after all they didn't ask any questions.I'm sure its nothing but if they are out of town I would have asked.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

The men he has the meetings with do they live in that city/town?Or did they have to travel there?I only ask because all the guys seemed casual about their wives all meeting someone for lunch at a tea cafe.They are in the security business after all they didn't ask any questions.I'm sure its nothing but if they are out of town I would have asked.

Because Chaz has a place there and has spent a lot of time there, both personal and business, Chaz is very comfortable to be there. It is a resort town where fishing and boats are the main activities. The ladies had met someone who lives there and feel relatively safe. This is not New York City where your comment would have a different take. The area is safe.  Small towns have a park and the number of touristy shops you could count on one hand

  • Like 3
Link to comment

A delightful, light-hearted chapter about a serious business. I am enjoying learning the nitty gritty of security.

 "I was wondering if we offered a modified door jam that included a bolt action so that on a lockdown the bolt would lock the door."

Did you mean "jamb" rather than "jam"? Of  course, clients might be happy if the security system offered a choice of jams for their toast while they are in a lockdown.😁 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, frosenblum said:

A delightful, light-hearted chapter about a serious business. I am enjoying learning the nitty gritty of security.

 "I was wondering if we offered a modified door jam that included a bolt action so that on a lockdown the bolt would lock the door."

Did you mean "jamb" rather than "jam"? Of  course, clients might be happy if the security system offered a choice of jams for their toast while they are in a lockdown.😁 

 

Yes I did and I'll correct that.  Spell c heck is great except when something like this occurs.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

Yes I did and I'll correct that.  Spell c heck is great except when something like this occurs.

Personally, I prefer jam .... goes better with everything ... especially buttered toast! LOL!!! LOL!!! 

  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Personally, I prefer jam .... goes better with everything ... especially buttered toast! LOL!!! LOL!!! 

I bet you could use jam for some fun as well

you have tried that didn’t you?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Bedtime for me now, but I'll have a Bacon and Sausage sarny for breakfast since the boss is paying... Great story, loving it :hug:

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Kev said:

Bedtime for me now, but I'll have a Bacon and Sausage sarny for breakfast since the boss is paying... Great story, loving it :hug:

 

I loved those when I was in England. If you can arrange one for me I'll see what I can do for you

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..