Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,383 Words
  • 2,687 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Security - 5. Chapter 5

I called Noah and told him I’d be flying out to see him tomorrow. I notified my pilots that I wanted the plane ready at eight am for a flight to California. Then I took a swim.

I must have forgotten the time as I drifted in the pool when I was splashed. Waking, Bobby was laughing. “Join me” He stripped and jump in, splashing me again. We had a few races, he won. That made me feel my age. Looking at his youthful body didn’t help as well. I wasn’t in bad shape for a thirty-five-year-old man but I could see that age is beginning to make inroads.

“Bobby, want to stay for dinner. We could barbecue some of that meat you brought for the pool party.”

“Yes, Chaz, that would be great. Let me call home and tell Mom I won’t be home for dinner.”

While Bobby called home, I showered and dressed. “Chaz, I have a problem. My uncle from New York is here and Mom said I should go home to eat dinner. I don’t know why I need to entertain him, he’s old.”

“You know when we get old, we don’t have as many friends as we do when we are young. He isn’t suffering from old age is he?”

That started Bobby to laugh, “I didn’t mean he was old, old. He’s thirty-three and for me that’s old.”

I looked at him. “I’m sorry Chaz, I never think of you as being old.”

“You do know I’m two years older than your uncle. So I guess if he’s old, I must be ancient.”

“Chaz, I’m sorry. It’s just that we don’t have anything in common. You and I shared Gram and Gramps and you take me seriously. I guess I never thought of you as being old but more as a friend.”

“Why don’t you invite your mom and cousin over for a barbecue. I can check and make sure we have enough food.”

I left Bobby to call while I checked the fridges for the food. The patio fridge still had the ground beef for hamburgers so all I need to check was enough greens for a salad. I knew I’d have enough potatoes for baking. By the time I pulled everything together, Bobby finished his call. “Mom can’t come but my uncle can. I have to go and get him.”

I put some beer on ice and waited. It doesn’t take long to heat a gas grill.

It was about thirty minutes later when Bobby came back with his uncle, he was tall and muscular. He had a beard but it was well trimmed and looked good on him. But the most startling feature was his eyes. I have seen many men with blue eyes or green eyes, but his eyes were a mixture reminding me of the sea. “Chaz, this is my Uncle Mark.”

“Welcome Mark, it’s a pleasure to meet one of Bobby’s relatives. Bobby, why don’t you start the grill while I finish fixing a salad. Mark, would you like a beer or coffee?”

“A beer will be fine.” I opened the fridge and took out three beers, I saw Bobby’s eyes sparkle when Mark said beer. I handed him his beer and gave one to Bobby. Bobby’s smile out weighed Mark’s.

“Bobby, does your mom and dad allow you to drink beer?”

“Yes, Uncle Mark, I’m eighteen now and they have allowed me to behave like a grown-up.”

I noticed the slight tension between Bobby and Mark. I wondered what that was all about. I always found Bobby to be a polite and sensible young man. Maybe my first impression of Uncle Mark missed a flaw.

Bobby handled the grill, I showed Mark around the cottage. I placed the food on the table waiting for the burgers. I replenished our beers, “Mark, how long will you be in town?”

“I leave tomorrow for Europe. I just stopped by to see my sister before leaving. On my trips, if I come across a product that my brother-in-law would like for his store, I see if I can set up an importation system to allow him to import the product. The US has some strict importation laws.”

“Are you in the importation business?”

Laughing, “No, I work for the United Nations. In short, I travel to various countries and gather metrics on production, population changes, and weather changes. As you’re aware of the threat of a rising ocean, one of my reports deals with current impacts and potential impacts. You would be surprised at how many negative impacts have already occurred. Total villages have been wiped out. Some say they shouldn’t have established the village so close to the water, but when you realize the water is the source of their livelihood, it made sense.

“Chaz, the burgers are done.”

“Thanks, Bobby, I’ll get the plates and trimmings. Another beer Mark?” He shook his head, I took the tray from the fridge that had the salad and condiments. Bobby came in to help, I gave him the tray. I got the plates and beers and headed outside. Bobby set the burgers and buns on the table and sat next to me.

“Bobby said you don’t live here full time.”

“That’s true, I have a condo up north which I use when I’m working. I stay here when I need a break or a vacation. It’s quiet and I enjoy being close to the ocean.”

“Who takes care of the place when you aren’t here?”

I put my arm around Bobby, “Bobby takes care of the place. When my parents retired they moved here to spend the rest of their lives. Bobby was a great help, they considered him like a grandchild. I never married and have no siblings, so Bobby gracious obliged being their grandson.”

“Aren’t you a little young to have that responsibility? Taking care of elderly people.”

“No, I enjoyed being with them. They were kind and treated me as a grown-up. Gramps and I would go fishing, he would introduce me as his grandson. Gram always had some treat for me when I did errands for her. I even have a key for this cottage and when Chaz isn’t here, I take care of it for him. He trusts me.”

I think I was getting an idea of their problem and why Bobby felt like he did. I was changing my mind about this uncle. “Do you allow the boys to swim here?”

“Yes, when I’m in town. I have rules and they know what those rules are. Play by my rules and they can swim whenever I’m here. They don’t even need to ask. Bobby is in charge and he does a good job.” The grin on Bobby’s face said it all. I need to talk to Bobby about his interactions with his uncle soon. There must be more than the issue of being responsible and being a young age.

After dinner, we chatted more. Bobby volunteered to do the clean up which included the dishes. Mark and I sat at the pool and chatted. “Are you seeing anyone?”

“No Mark, I don’t have much time to socialize. I work with a team, my partners are all married and have families, so I carry the brunt of the job so they can enjoy their families. It’s something I like doing for them because when I need them, they aren’t hesitant to step forward.”

“Don’t you find you’re missing something?”

“No, not really, how about you, I take it you are single as well.”

“Yes, I am now. I can’t seem to hold on to anyone too long. My last partner lasted two years before I caught him cheating.”

“You’re gay”

“Yes, does that bother you?”

“No, not in the least, I was just surprised. Is that why you and Bobby are tense with each other?”

“No, it has nothing to do with me being gay. I think it’s more defiance on his part. He spent a few weeks with me and it didn’t go very well. The first week was fine but I’m not sure why the second week wasn’t good. I sent him home at the end of that week.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 44
  • Love 9
  • Wow 4
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

44 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Be curious to find out the details about why Mark and Bobby didn't get along

Not sure Mark will tell, maybe Chaxz will get Bobby to tell.  Must be something serious

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Interesting chapter, I wonder what happened between them and I hope that they will sort it out, Chaz will get to the bottom of the problem I hope

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Interesting chapter, I wonder what happened between them and I hope that they will sort it out, Chaz will get to the bottom of the problem I hope

Only if Bobby tells him.  I thought its strange that Mark didn't tell Chaz more unless Mark is hiding something. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I believe Uncle Mark is not to be trusted!!!

“Yes, I am now. I can’t seem to hold on to anyone too long. My last partner lasted two years before I caught him cheating.”

My guess is ,that Uncle Mark just may have been a bit forward with Bobby and made Bobby uncomfortable!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
CLJobe

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

I believe Uncle Mark is not to be trusted!!!

“Yes, I am now. I can’t seem to hold on to anyone too long. My last partner lasted two years before I caught him cheating.”

My guess is ,that Uncle Mark just may have been a bit forward with Bobby and made Bobby uncomfortable!

I think you are on to something. Bobby appears to be a nice kid that Chaz has a lot of confidence in and trust. Mark did something you can bet your bottom dollar on that

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, drsawzall said:

I believe Uncle Mark is not to be trusted!!!

“Yes, I am now. I can’t seem to hold on to anyone too long. My last partner lasted two years before I caught him cheating.”

My guess is ,that Uncle Mark just may have been a bit forward with Bobby and made Bobby uncomfortable!

I like the way you highlight that passage, but I’m reading between the lines...two years before I caught him...almost as if it was expected but took two years to fulfill destiny; so big trust issues.

Bobby likewise has already grown up in an environment of trust and would not play well into Uncle’s persistent paranoid trust issues.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Philippe said:

I like the way you highlight that passage, but I’m reading between the lines...two years before I caught him...almost as if it was expected but took two years to fulfill destiny; so big trust issues.

Bobby likewise has already grown up in an environment of trust and would not play well into Uncle’s persistent paranoid trust issues.

Yes, Bobby's experiences have been in trusted relationships, with Chaz's mom and dad and with Chaz. He has been trusted with the care of Chaz's cottage and has proven himself to Chaz as a responsible young man.  To have such feelings against his Uncle, would indicate a problem had occurred when he was younger. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
37 minutes ago, Chris L said:

The 2 weeks didn't go very well because Bobby's uncle is a jackass! 🤬

I didn't realize he was, note was, a friend of yours.  I just call them as I see them and you are right

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I think people are being a bit harsh with Mark.  How many of you would discuss serious, personal family business with someone who is, in reality, a total stranger?  I don’t think he’s hiding anything.  He’s just thinking, it’s none of his business, no matter what kind of relationship Chaz  has with Bobby.  Like others have stated, information will have to come from Bobby for now.  
 

He is also looking at Bobby as his young ‘kid’ nephew, not the young adult he has become.  It can be difficult for some people to accept, unconsciously, that the little kid who was running around just yesterday is now the able almost-adult standing in front of them, especially if they don’t see the process on a daily/monthly/yearly basis.  I know I watched  my nieces and nephews grow up from infancy to college and beyond.  It is still hard for me at times to realize that they now have their own lives with careers and are beginning families of their own.  I can still see one of the girls hiding under the table when she was introduced to me.  I am now getting ready for her baby’s first birthday party! (Auntie makes handmade gifts.). Mark just has to acclimate regarding this.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

I think people are being a bit harsh with Mark.  How many of you would discuss serious, personal family business with someone who is, in reality, a total stranger?  I don’t think he’s hiding anything.  He’s just thinking, it’s none of his business, no matter what kind of relationship Chaz  has with Bobby.  Like others have stated, information will have to come from Bobby for now.  
 

He is also looking at Bobby as his young ‘kid’ nephew, not the young adult he has become.  It can be difficult for some people to accept, unconsciously, that the little kid who was running around just yesterday is now the able almost-adult standing in front of them, especially if they don’t see the process on a daily/monthly/yearly basis.  I know I watched  my nieces and nephews grow up from infancy to college and beyond.  It is still hard for me at times to realize that they now have their own lives with careers and are beginning families of their own.  I can still see one of the girls hiding under the table when she was introduced to me.  I am now getting ready for her baby’s first birthday party! (Auntie makes handmade gifts.). Mark just has to acclimate regarding this.

You have taken an interesting interpretation of this part of the story. I agree with you concerning Mark's view of Bobby as a possibility. We need to understand why Bobby's view of Uncle Mark isn't more positive.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..