Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,081 Words
  • 2,531 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Security - 17. Chapter 17

I arrived home at seven, Bobby met me at the car. I unloaded the fishing gear, “This is for crabbing. I got an extra pail for Abe.” We walked into the cottage together, my arm around his shoulder. “I’m, hungry I hope Rosa left some dinner for me.” I went and washed up, when I got back to the kitchen, Bobby had my dinner on the table.

“I don’t know what this is but it’s very good. I had two helpings.” Bobby was right, I didn’t know what it was either but it was good.

I helped to clean up, “How was your ride?”

“It was great but you didn’t have to do that. The bike, the cottage, and a scholarship, I owe you a lot.”

“You know how to pay me back? Be the smartest kid in class, and when you receive your doctorate, I’ll be paid back.” I had an eighteen-year-old kid, hugging me. I guess if I was eighteen, I’d be as excited as he was. Bobby was a good kid and I’m sure he’ll study hard to achieve his dream. There was one more thing I needed to do. I called Annie and asked her to get me the phone number of several bookstores in the city.

“Let’s take a walk along the beach, okay?’ No problem, I closed the cottage and we walked to the beach. Walking along the beach, Bobby every once in a while would stop and pick up a shell. “You know if you walk in the early morning, this beach is loaded with shells and crabs. There are a lot of people who are up early in the morning.”

“What say we take a morning walk, or better yet a morning run.”

The next morning we headed out at six am for a morning run. Bobby was right, there were quite a few shells along the beach. The high tide probably brings the shells in, a collectors trove. I saw Bobby pick up a few and then run to catch up to me.

Returning to the cottage Rosa was starting breakfast. Bobby gave the shells to Carlito who ran and showed them to his mother. Rosa looked at Bobby and smiled. When we sat down for breakfast, Carlito climbed up on Bobby’s lap. He looked at Bobby and smiled. I smiled at them, Rosa just patted Carlito on his head and sat down for breakfast.

I left to meet up with the guys. We needed to finalize the proposal and get a copy off to the General and the Prime Minister. I think the Chamber might change their minds as the new proposals, in total, were twenty percent more than the original proposal.

“What is the offset to our proposal? Suppose they don’t buy it, what could they do to provide the same level of security?”

“If the General has his way he would need more guards to patrol the outside area, his force would grow by a factor of four, at least.”

“They may think that is a good idea, help the unemployment.”

“Well, let’s finalize these and send them off. We’ll just have to sit until they come back to us.”

“Let’s have lunch.”

“Have any of you made your flight plans?”

“Pete and I are going back in the morning. I’m not sure when you are leaving Dave.”

“I was thinking of staying till the weekend. We’re going to go up the coast. I was thinking of buying some land along the northern coast, Oregon specifically.”

Lunch was great, I had Mexican food at home, but this was a mix of Mexican and Southern California. We all just sat around the table and chewed the fat. The women wanted to know when we’d be traveling overseas again. Dave fielded that question, one of the women asks if they could go along. Then they all thought that would be a nice trip. They thought a cruise, rather than flying, would be nice. I just listened and smiled to myself. These women would drive me up the wall. I’m glad that I’m not married.

The hotel said I had a message from someone named Annie. I went and got the letter, she had five bookstores listed. Now I had my afternoon project. I called each one and asked the same question, do you have the complete works of Jacque Cousteau. Of the five, none had all of his works but one did say if I wanted those books, they would order them for me. I told him to go ahead, gave him my credit card after agreeing to a deposit. Now I needed a bookshelf, I checked on the internet, found what I wanted and ordered it. In my mind, Bobby was all set for school. Now I could turn my attention to my security bracelet, at least until I heard from the General.

When I first designed the bracelet, I had to find companies that could supply the parts I needed. I searched the internet for specific manufactures. I planned to have several manufactures build one piece and the assembly, I’d do myself. Finding the gold bracelet was easy. I found two companies that thought they could build the bracelet. I asked each of them to build me one for my inspection. I had to pay for the material and I was okay with that.

When all was done, I had twelve manufactures, after prototypes passed my tests. The trickiest was the safety destruction unit which would activate when there was an attempt to remove the bracelet. I had a stainless steel bracelet made, rigged with the internal system. I used a pipe to simulate a wrist and tried to remove the bracelet. Removal was easy but the bracelet got very hot and I had to drop it. After it cooled enough for me to exam it, the inside was a molten mass of metal. Although this was what I wanted, if a mortician or someone who had the authority to remove it, then what I experienced would be a problem. So I needed a release catch of some kind. I needed to think about that.

In the meantime, school started for Bobby. We had met with the General and agreed that we would do the outer security work and then wait for the go-ahead on the other proposals. In confidence, the General told me that it was a costly mistake and we should have done the original job.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 16
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wish I had one of those bracelets, mine usually give up the ghost and drops off when I least expect it. Lost the last three like that and have no idea what happened to them. The scene with the shells took me back to my youth as I loved collecting shells. Even when I got divorced the first thing that I bought when I wandered around the new town that I had moved to was a box of unusual shells for the window of my bathroom... Since it's a seaside town I figured I could have the sea in my flat at least in one room.... Loving Bobby and the interaction with Carlito.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

You left out one thing the dinner that  Rosa made but Chaz and Bobby didn't know what it was.They never asked Rosa so what was it?:huh:Great chapter otherwise

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Bobby is going to be an awesome friend and "brother" to carlito they have just clicked, he is no doubt going to study like crazy if nothing else but to prove his uncle is an idiot, great that they got the contract to  start, no doubt to do the entire job in bits and pieces ,it will take longer but that is no longer an issue I think

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Sometimes people spend 4 times a much or more just to lower what the big number looks like. Sounds like the wheels of progress unhindered by efficiency! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Kev said:

Wish I had one of those bracelets, mine usually give up the ghost and drops off when I least expect it. Lost the last three like that and have no idea what happened to them. The scene with the shells took me back to my youth as I loved collecting shells. Even when I got divorced the first thing that I bought when I wandered around the new town that I had moved to was a box of unusual shells for the window of my bathroom... Since it's a seaside town I figured I could have the sea in my flat at least in one room.... Loving Bobby and the interaction with Carlito.

Every time I was at the ocean, I collected shells.  I glued them to window boxes.  Kids love to collect shells, many time I heard, 'Look mommy' and the kid had a shell in his hands.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, weinerdog said:

You left out one thing the dinner that  Rosa made but Chaz and Bobby didn't know what it was.They never asked Rosa so what was it?:huh:Great chapter otherwise

It was a Mexican dinner probably.  He didn't tell me except to say it was delicious. Beans I'm sure maybe in a tomato sauce. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, mikedup said:

Bobby is going to be an awesome friend and "brother" to carlito they have just clicked, he is no doubt going to study like crazy if nothing else but to prove his uncle is an idiot, great that they got the contract to  start, no doubt to do the entire job in bits and pieces ,it will take longer but that is no longer an issue I think

Yes,. Bobby will be like an older brother to Carlito.  There is no question that Bobby will be out to prove to his Uncle Mark that he will be successful with out his input. You can bet teh General will get his piece of teh project done. It makes sense.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Chris L said:

Sometimes people spend 4 times a much or more just to lower what the big number looks like. Sounds like the wheels of progress unhindered by efficiency! 

I always thought that to be stupidity at its highest.  I know some people think they can handle the costs better if it is in smaller pieces. Those ion a limited budget sacrifice efficiency for the  ability to pay. Debt scares them but not a country, that was a stupid decision not to go with the first proposal. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Yes I have every confidence that Bobby will shine and be an exemplary student.  This, first for himself - but also, to just rub salt in the faces of Mom and Uncle5%!!!  Dad will be extremely happy!!

Link to comment
3 hours ago, KayDeeMac said:

Yes I have every confidence that Bobby will shine and be an exemplary student.  This, first for himself - but also, to just rub salt in the faces of Mom and Uncle5%!!!  Dad will be extremely happy!!

Yes, with Chaz's support and the backing of his dad, he will do well 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..