Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 953 Words
  • 2,809 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Security - 9. Chapter 9

Over the next few days, someone was checking the mail. After five days he got a little down. I knew Noah told me he posted the letter and he should receive it in a few days. That weekend was my last stay at the cottage, I had to go back to work. Sunday night, I was getting ready to fly to New York when Bobby came into my room. “Chaz I haven’t heard anything.”

“Well, these things take time. How long did it take for you to hear from the other universities?”

“Three or four days”

“And how long have you waited since you mailed your letter?”

“It will be five days tomorrow.”

“Maybe that’s a good sign. When you hear something, call me and let me know. My office number and my apartment number are here.”

I smiled as I finished packing my briefcase. I travel light when it’s between the cottage and my condo. I called a taxi to take me to the airport, “Do you want to come with me?”

“To New York?”

“No, to the airport. You have to be here to receive your letter.” I hugged him as I got in the Taxi. He was going to stay and closed the cottage.

The flight to New York was quick and smooth. Arriving at the condo, I opened a few windows to air the place out and then after an hour closed them and let the air handler take over. Monday morning. I was back on my routine. Picked up a coffee and a bagel, walked to my office. “Good morning Annie, everyone back?”

“Yes, Chaz.”

“See if you can set up a meeting after lunch. That will give me time to catch up before we review the presentation.”

I got to work on catching up on mail. There was a letter from the General thanking us for the presentation. He indicated that the Prime Minister was to meet with his cabinet and would get back to us soon. He further went on to say he was very impressed with the security presentation particularly the entrance door. I smiled as I put the letter in my outbox for filing. The rest of the mail was routine, a request to make a presentation to a national security council, some requests for information on our systems.

Lunch was at a local cafe, something quick. As I ate, I thought about the meeting with the team.

“Chaz, I schedule a meeting with the team for two this afternoon in the conference room.”

“Ask them to bring any correspondence they may have from the Prime Minister.”

I put together an agenda, including my resignation. I schedule a meeting with my boss at one telling him about my decision to resign, I would agreed to be on call as an advisor.

The two o’clock meeting went very well. I shared my letter from the General, Dave also got a letter. Then before the meeting broke up I told them about my resignation. That generated a lot of questions, particularly why. I explained I wanted to pursue other alternatives. “You three know the system and how to display it. You don’t need me to act as a point man, you are all point men.”

“When is your last day?”

“I’ll stay till after the Prime Minister signs the contract. If he wants me to stay on the project, I’ll stay but you guys will run the project.”

When I went back to my office, Dave followed me. “Chaz, who’s going to be the lead on our projects?”

“That’ll be the boss's decision, but I recommended you. Peter is too nervous and would probably screw a presentation up without guidance and Jim is fairly new. I think you’ll have a good team and if you have any issue, you can call on me, off the record.”

“Do you think we’ll get the contract from the Prime Minister?”

“Yes, if the General has any say, we will .”

I went home feeling a little remorse about resigning, a little, the wind blew that away when I entered the apartment.

The next day I receive a letter from the Prime Minister inviting the team to make a presentation to the Chamber of Advisors. “Annie, get the team together in my office.”

I made copies of the Prime Minister’s letter. “Guys, we have an invitation to visit the Prime Minister. We’re going to present the system to the Chamber. We need to prepare, I want a system that’ll allow me to know the names of everyone as they asked a question. A camera on the wall behind me feeding into the computer which will show the person, his or her name and their position. Background information we’ll get when we land. Also, bring a copy of the tape we made at the hotel. Will leave Monday morning, pack for five days just in case we need to stay longer. I’ll send you the plane reservations.” I smiled, when Pete finds out I have my plane, he’ll have a bird.

Saturday I packed, my phone rang. “Chaz, I got accepted.” He was happy.

“Bobby, I‘m so glad. I have to go to the East on Monday and as soon as I get back, we’ll fly to California. I’m very happy for you. Did you tell your Uncle Mark?”

“Mom told him he wasn’t for it. Too far from home he told her.”

“Well, don’t fret, you’ll soon see the University and the gentleman who wrote to you. Congratulations.”

“Chaz, can I stay at the cottage? Mom is beating my ear telling me I should take Mark’s money.”

“Of course you can stay, I'll see you no later than next Saturday.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 16
  • Wow 8
  • Fingers Crossed 3
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

15 minutes ago, Chris L said:

WTH??? Bobby got a full ride scholarship and mom is still telling him he should take Uncle 'jackass' Marks money??? AYFKM??? Something about that just smells SOUR - more so mom looking out for her selfish brothers greed rather than her own sons future and well being. Can one just imagine being indebted to that jackass and the control he would try to wield based on what we've seen thus far? NO THANK YOU!!! Run Bobby, RUN!!! Chaz to the rescue!!! 

Thank you, I always look forward to your comments. They make my day, but such language  tutu, Mom will get after you.  But knowing Chaz and Bobby, Uncle Mark can go beow his whistle somewhere else.  I( think his mom can declassified as having no character 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, CLJobe said:

It will happen, soon our later and Chaz will have a great deal to do with it but Chaz will not  realize it.  Bobby looks upon Chaz as his big brother, Chaz looks at  Bobby as an adoptive son. Bobby's mother was, has been and is heavily influenced by her brother, I would go as far as to say  she was dominated by him even him being younger than her. She is of weak character probably from her upbringing.  I would suspect her father treated her brother better, he was a demanding man and treated his wife as if she was an inferior. Just a little psychoanalysis on my part. 

Yeah, but some people are naturally weak.  Sorry to say, my brother is one of them.  We were raised to be strong and resilient and not just be followers.  Unfortunately, he always seemed to get involved with people, including his wife and her family, who were stronger-willed.  The vast majority were fine and never took advantage.  Unfortunately, the wife’s family is another story.  It is heavily matriarchal and this is evident with every male who is involved with them, whether by birth or marriage.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Well congrats on the bursary, but we all know where it comes from , his mother is an idiot so controlled by her brother, but this will no doubt find out soon, his uncle would no doubt love to have him indebted to him for a long time, the conniving hound

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I was thinking the same thing @jaysalmn was thinking luckily that didn't happen.There has to be some info we don't know about yet otherwise Uncle5% and Bobby's Mom actions don't make sense.I'm thinking along the lines maybe Bobby is going to inherit something but really I have no idea.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Uncle5%, I like that.

Mayby there is nothing  but it's just that uncle5% hates that Bobby doesn't look up to him and acts in revenge

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

OK.  Now even I admit to being confused about Mark and his sister.  What is their deal?  Do they have such little faith in Bobby that he can succeed in college? Or is there another reason they want control over him.  That’s what funding his college is boiling down to. “You will study what we say, and do what we tell you to do, or we will cut off your funding.”  And they would have more control over him if he is just down the road instead of across the country.

Bobby and his father need to confront them and find out what the big deal is.  The sooner the better.

Let's try this, Bobby's mother obvious has a low self-esteem. She gives into her brother. She never understood why Bobby came home from his New York stay when he was 16.  Part of that is Bobby's fault for not telling her, but maybe Bobby knew she wouldn't listen. I am sure Mark is making the pitch to her on two plateaus, one, distance from home and two, Chasz being single.  It wouldn't surprise me that she doesn't know Mark is gay.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

I was thinking the same thing @jaysalmn was thinking luckily that didn't happen.There has to be some info we don't know about yet otherwise Uncle5% and Bobby's Mom actions don't make sense.I'm thinking along the lines maybe Bobby is going to inherit something but really I have no idea.

I( think we need Bobby to tell its what happened on that vacation he took at Mark's place

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, dutch woman said:

Uncle5%, I like that.

Mayby there is nothing  but it's just that uncle5% hates that Bobby doesn't look up to him and acts in revenge

That is definitely a possibility.  But for Bobby to have such bad feelings about Mark, I still think Mark tried to pull something. If Bobby took Mark up on his offer, maybe he felt Mark would demand something he wasn't willing to do.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, jaysalmn said:

I feel bad for Bobby, having a mother and uncle like that. I was worried that maybe his mother had intercepted the letter, destroyed it, and was gonna tell him the letter never came. Could totally see that happening. I hope we eventually get to see what secrets his mother and uncle are hiding, because their behavior is totally suspish.

You are right I see a blow up coming 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Clancy59 said:

Yeah, but some people are naturally weak.  Sorry to say, my brother is one of them.  We were raised to be strong and resilient and not just be followers.  Unfortunately, he always seemed to get involved with people, including his wife and her family, who were stronger-willed.  The vast majority were fine and never took advantage.  Unfortunately, the wife’s family is another story.  It is heavily matriarchal and this is evident with every male who is involved with them, whether by birth or marriage.

You are right, or they give the impression that they are weak. I know people who would rather go along when they are with other members of the family and then when it is just them and their family they do as they please. Rationale, "It isn't worth the effort to argue, let the think they win and then I'll do what is best for me and my family."

  • Like 1
Link to comment

It is good to see Bobby will be going to the land of fruits and nuts on the left coast with Chaz!! Bobby will thrive being away from his mother and Uncle5%!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

It is good to see Bobby will be going to the land of fruits and nuts on the left coast with Chaz!! Bobby will thrive being away from his mother and Uncle5%!!

Yes Bobby will do fine. There aren’t to many schools for marine biologists. I know Florida has one and California has several. I think Bobby will end up living on the coast somewhere. If Chaz has his way Bobby will be a first class marine biologist 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Kev

Posted (edited)

Great that he got the request to present to the chamber that means he a step closer to moving on. Bobby sounds happy, but what will he feel when he finds out that our hero organized it all. Mother and Uncle Mark are still worrying and I do not trust them one bit...

 

 

Edited by Kev
  • Like 2
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Kev said:

Great that he got the request to present to the chamber that means he a step closer to moving on. Bobby sounds happy, but what will he feel when he finds out that our hero organized it all. Mother and Uncle Mark are still worrying and I do not trust them one bit...

 

 

I don't think he will find out that Chaz has set this whole thing up. Bobby is on cloud nine he has a scholarship and Chaz will have. ap[lace for him tasty.  Can't complain there.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Why saddle your son with debt at 5% interest when he has a scholarship? I don’t like mother and mark, they are both too funky for my liking 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Bft said:

Why saddle your son with debt at 5% interest when he has a scholarship? I don’t like mother and mark, they are both too funky for my liking 

you and the rest of those who read this story

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..