Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,394 Words
  • 2,021 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Security - 20. Chapter 20

The next morning, I made my run, stopping at the coffee shop and heading to the cottage. When I arrived at the cottage, Bobby had breakfast ready. “I have a noon flight. I’ll pick you up on January 5th for our flight to California. If you have any change of plans let me know.”

I packed my bags, said goodbye to Bobby, and drove to the airport. I watched the plane land, met Marco at the plane, boarded and we were off. When you learn to fly this is called a touch and go. Arriving in New York, we had to circle for a few hours before we could land. New York City never changes, it continues to be a hustle and bustle city, everyone in a hurry to get nowhere. Walking into my condo, many thoughts filled my head. I was more or less raised in this condo, some of my best times were here. I can’t sell it, I’ll rent it until I need it again.

In the morning I called a moving company to come and pack up my personal things. I would send one shipment to the Gulf and one shipment to California. I dressed, went to the corner coffee shop, grabbed a large cup of coffee, a bagel and lox, headed back to the condo.

I started to move items for the Gulf into one of the bedrooms and items for California in the other bedroom. I took all of my clothes except one change for the trip back to the Gulf, I took down all of the pictures, took the items from the kitchen that I wanted. I was almost done when the movers showed up.

I explained where each room was to go, they started to pack everything. By seven pm they were finished, I notified the Condo Board that I was moving and would be renting the condo. One of the board members offered to help with the renting. I knew her as a good friend to my mom. I notified my pilots that we would be returning to the Gulf, then I went to sleep.

In the morning, I packed the remaining items in my luggage, notified the pilots I was on my way. Stopped, picked up a coffee, hailed a taxi and I was on my way back to the Gulf. If Bobby came with me, I’d have stayed for New Year’s Eve, but for me, it wasn’t a big deal. I have seen the ball drop many times and the novelty wore off a long time ago.

I was met by Marco who took my luggage. I paid the cab driver and boarded the plane ready to say goodbye to New York. I had an egg bagel on the plane with a refill of my coffee cup. I wasn’t leaving New York, I was going to my Gulf home.

About four hours later we landed. “Marco, Carlos, I’ll be here till after New Years'. I’ll call you when I’m returning to California. Have a good time till I see you on my return flight to California.” I have the pilots on a fixed salary, so they get paid whether we fly or not. The advantage for me is that they are always ready at a moment's notice.

I drove into the garage, took my suitcase, dropped it in my bedroom, did a quick survey of my fridge, freezer, and cupboards. I needed to go shopping if I’m going to be here for a few days. I headed to Robert’s store, grabbed a cart, and started shopping. I was about finished when I left the cart unattended looking at the meat display, when I went to put my meat in it, it was gone. I started to look around when I saw Bobby, “Where is it?” He laughed as he brought the cart back.

“I said hello but you didn’t hear me so I took your cart. I’m glad to see you back. I’ll be over tonight and bring you up to date. See you later.”

I watched as he walked away. Roberto checked me out. “How is everything?”

“I think it’s much better. Bobby has been staying home, his uncle went back to New York, and peace reigns once again.”

“Good, I’m glad to hear that. It didn’t seem right that Bobby didn’t want to stay home for the holidays. I’m glad everything is back on course.”

Returning to my cottage, I put the groceries away. I wanted to work on my bracelets. I got so involved I forgot the time. It was the smell of meat being grilled that caused me to stop and check on what was happening. Walking out to the patio, Bobby was grilling the chicken legs I had bought. “When did you show up?”

“About forty-five minutes ago, you were busy so I just decided to hang for a while and then decided to barbecue the chicken legs you had in the refrigerator.”

“I appreciate that but I thought you would be eating at your home now that everything is squared away with you and your folks.”

“Well, that’s a yes and no situation. Uncle Mark left when dad told him he was making me uncomfortable and that I was doing well at school in California. Mom was a little upset and later that night she and dad got into it. I came over here and slept here. The next morning I went to the store to help dad, he told me that everything is okay and that mom was beginning to understand. I told dad about the time I was in New York, more or less what I told you. He agreed that when Mark was here, I should stay away.”

“How often does he visit?”

“Not that often, but after meeting you, he has been in contact more. I think he’s afraid of you. You know what else I think, he knows you aren’t married so at your age he thinks that must mean you’re gay and he sees our relationship as something he wanted, like when I spent those two weeks with him in New York.”

“I think from now on, for any holidays, I’ll invite your folks to spend it with you in California. Drop the idea with your dad, Easter would be a good time. I can fly them there and back.”

“Dad might not want to be away from the store that long.”

“Surely there is someone he can trust to manage the store for a few days.”

“I don’t know he has never been away from the store. He always closes for the holidays, so I’m not sure.”

“We’ll plant the thought and let him digest it for a while.”

“Mark wanted to know about the bracelet. I told him it was a gift from you. His eyebrows went up when I said that. Later when he wasn’t around, I told dad that it was a security bracelet and you’re selling them. I also told him mine wasn’t fully activated but you would do it when I’m twenty-five.”

“You do know your dad doesn’t know what I do for a living. We never talk, really talked, so I’ll bet he doesn’t believe you.”

“If I activate the light, will there be any damage?”

“No, but don’t shine the light on him or your mom, it will temporarily blind them. When I make it permanent, it will blind anyone who looks directly at the light.” I smiled to myself, so Mark thinks I’m gay. Why do gay people always think if a person isn’t married by 35 they must be gay.

The rest of the time, I spent on the bracelets, Bobby worked with his dad, spent some evenings with me, and some with his friends. I did agree to a New Years' party, but I invited Robert and his wife as well. In return, I was invited to their home for New Year's dinner.

“Chaz, are we going to have fireworks for New Year's eve?”

“I don’t know, are you allowed to have fireworks?”

“Some kinds but not rockets, flares can be shot up in the air, they don’t go too far and of course firecrackers.” “

As long as they are legal, I have no problem.”

On New Year’s eve several of the boys brought pieces of wood, I wonder what they were going to do with it. “Bobby, what is that?”

“It’s a surprise, we generally do this on the beach.”

I guess I’ll have to wait. I watched as they erected a wooden frame around a screen. Then they went and got what looked like small flares, about the size of a bottle cap. These were strategically placed on the screen. Then they brought a box that was sealed. “

Chaz, you must go in the cottage and no peeking.”

Laughing, “Okay, I won’t peek.” I went back to my office. I was curious but I’d wait.

Bobby called me for the barbecue and when I looked at the wooden frame it was covered in a tarp, so I had no idea of what was behind the tarp. The pool was loaded with the neighborhood teenagers. There were a couple that I didn’t know, when I asked Bobby he said they were relatives of the guys who normally came to his pool parties. The boy who brought the keg of beer came and apologized. I guess he grew up a little over the summer or he wanted to be with the gang for New Years'. I accepted his apology, he smiled and so did Bobby. I watched as he joined the group and Bobby slapped him on his back.

I watched as they were having fun. No one was swimming, they couldn’t, the pool was too full. A few tried playing Horse, but that didn’t go well. So they just splashed around, I did notice they were having a good time.

I went and got a lawn chair from the garage, I sat there and watched their antics. Bobby saw me sitting and soon he went and got a chair as well. One of the girls said something, he got up and gave her his chair. Then he went and got another chair, I had four so now there was only one left. It wasn’t long before he got up to put more burgers on and while he was doing that, one of the boys moved his chair next to the girl and sat in it. Bobby went and got the last chair and placed it next to mine. I guess he thought he’d be safe but he wasn’t. I watched as the girl he dated in high school came and whispered something to him, he moved so he could share his chair. I looked around and saw the others sharing their chairs.

A couple of the boys left and soon returned with more chairs, some were beach-type chairs, close to the ground. Bobby kept the grill going making sure there were enough hamburgers and hot dogs for his friends, they helped themselves as they got hungry. I noticed the trays of sliced tomatoes and onions were getting low, so I went and prepared another tray. I put them in the fridge and went to tell Bobby. A young lady was sitting in my chair. “I think that is my chair.” She got up, I sat down, and then she sat in my lap. Bobby was laughing and so everyone was looking and laughing. “Are you comfortable?”

“Yes, very comfortable. You have a nice lap.” That caused more laughter.

The girl was a cousin of one of Bobby’s friends and she was flirting with all of the boys. So sitting on my lap wasn’t anything new for her. Later Bobby told me she likes to flirt but has a boyfriend back home and they are considering getting married this summer. As a college graduation gift, their parents are paying for their honeymoon.

As the sky began to darken, the boys started to light a few firecrackers and flairs. They were enjoying themselves as only young people can. There were a few who seemed to be seriously into a discussion, but for the most part, they were having a good time. The young lady on my lap eventually moved to one of the beach chairs and was into what looked like an intense discussion with a few other girls.

“Chaz, are you ready for the surprise?”

“You have a surprise for me?”

“Yes, look” He pointed to the wooden construction.

I had forgotten about it and I wonder what I was looking at that I could forget about that. I watched as a few boys removed the cloth, there in letters was, Happy New Year.

What happened next, I didn’t expect. One of the boys put a match to a wick that led to the small matchboxes on the screen. As the wick reached the first box, it exploded like a firecracker and started to set the letters on fire, as the wick reached the other boxes, they also exploded and caused more of the letters to ignite. Soon, all of the letters were burning, as the radio announcer said Happy New Year, a loud bang was heard and the flairs at the edges of the frame began to burn. I looked at Bobby, he was smiling.

“What do you think Chaz?”

“I think you guys did an excellent job. I’m glad I waited but how are you going to put the fire out. Your frame is on fire.”

“Oh, yea, when we do this at the beach we just let it burn.”

“Get the hose and put it out. I don’t want the fence to catch on fire.” The hose worked and the fire was out, Bobby turned the hose on the guys in the pool. That started another splashing contest as the boys in the pool began tossing water at Bobby.

I think it was two am went I went to bed. All of the chairs were put back in the garage, I agreed they could take down what was left of the New Year sign later today. Bobby and a couple of his friends, cleaned up, I told them to leave it till later. We did put the leftover food in the fridge, there wasn’t much

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 21
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Bobby does so much for Chaz and it comes from a good place within him - genuine love! ❤️

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

Bobby does so much for Chaz and it comes from a good place within him - genuine love! ❤️

Bobby is a good kid. He appreciates what Chaz has done for him. Because of Chaz's parents and his involvement with them, particularly Chaz's dad, I think Bobby looks to Chaz as a brother he never had. Chaz looks at Bobby as a son he will never have.  Not all relationships need to be blood relationships.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great chapter, and happy New year to all of them , so the uncle is his box In New York, good riddance, at least his parents are aware of what happened, so onto another semester at school, and progress on The wrist bands

  • Like 2
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, and happy New year to all of them , so the uncle is his box In New York, good riddance, at least his parents are aware of what happened, so onto another semester at school, and progress on The wrist bands

Yep. this couldn't hide any longer. Chaz got the father and Bobby together, story told, mother unwilling  to accept, blow out, and now Mark is gone, peace  once again. Maybe, we shall see if Mark gets his true justice

  • Like 2
Link to comment

So Bobby's Dad and Mom got into a fight my question is after Dad told Mom what Uncle 5% did what in the world was there  for Mom to fight over?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
49 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Glad to see the change for the better in Bobby's family!!

Once his father knew the story of his return from New York and Uncle Mark, it was bound to happen.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

So Bobby's Dad and Mom got into a fight my question is after Dad told Mom what Uncle 5% did what in the world was there  for Mom to fight over?

I would guess at first she didn't believe him or wanted to believe Mark. I think she began to understand when she realized that Mark was visiting more than usual. When faced with the facts it's hard to deny them. I don't think we will see much of Mark, if Robert has anything to do with it. Something about burying your head in sand and blocking your ears, was her problem.  Robert showed her the clay feet to her idol of  brother 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I could do with being there sitting, just watching the pool party... Haven't been swimming in years. Too old now, too conscious that others are looking at the wrinkles. Glad Mark has gone for now and that Mum seems to be back on course.  

Link to comment
7 hours ago, Kev said:

I could do with being there sitting, just watching the pool party... Haven't been swimming in years. Too old now, too conscious that others are looking at the wrinkles. Glad Mark has gone for now and that Mum seems to be back on course.  

Yes, Mark is gone for now and it seems that everything is smooth , now.  Some new year party, I would join you, just sitting there

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..