Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 3,501 Words
  • 4,049 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beneath the Current - 14. Chapter 14

(longer chapter to make up for the last short one :rolleyes: . Enjoy.)

Chapter 14

 

"So you really have never been anywhere but here?" Shawn asked the next afternoon as they toweled off from their swim. True to his word, Shawn had dragged down some inflatable raft today and spent half the time being dunked off of it as Casey swam under him and flipped him off of it.

At one point, they'd drifted out farther than they expected because of the riptide pulling them from shore. Casey had carefully guided them parallel to shore instead of allowing Shawn to attempt to fight the tide back in. It didn't take long, and Casey wasn't even sure if Shawn realized what he'd been doing. Riptides didn't occur often along the island, but they did form occasionally, and Casey had long since learned not to fight them, even though he could power through them in his shifted form.

Casey settled into the chair next to Shawn as the man tucked the bright orange floatie in between some rocks to keep it from blowing around in the breeze.

"No. Well, I briefly worked at the clinic where Uncle Martin works, but..." Casey trailed off, not sure he wanted to talk about his one escapade off the island which would inevitably lead to talking about Roshan.

"But...?" Shawn prodded as he dropped his towel on the chair and stretched his long legs out in front of him on the lounge chair next to the one he'd dragged down for Casey.

"It was a long time ago. It's nothing," Casey mumbled, as he shook his head, shifting to settle back on his own chair.

But Shawn obviously had sensed the tension in his voice, and he abruptly swung his legs back over the side of the chair and faced him intently. "Doesn't sound like nothing."

Casey's gray eyes darted to Shawn's blue ones almost hidden in the thick fall of his dark chocolate bangs. So far conversations had been rather tame, this threatened to take things farther, and Casey wasn't sure if he was ready to share that much. He instantly wondered if he was on the verge of repeating history. If he let Shawn in, if he opened up to the man, would Shawn stomp on his friendship, his heart, like Roshan had?

He didn't think so, but he'd had so little experience interacting with others that he just didn't know if he could trust anyone. The one person besides his uncles that he had let in had crushed him.

"There was just an incident at the clinic that made me not want to go back, that's all," he finally said flippantly, trying to come across as casual as possible.

"So, what, did you see someone die or something?" Shawn continued to coax the truth out of him. "I know that would keep me from ever going back."

Casey laughed, "No, nothing like that. Just..." he broke off, floundering. "There was just some guy..."

Shawn's grin broadened. The last few days, Shawn's benign teasing and playfulness alleviated Casey's nerves about getting to know him. The first couple times that Shawn had tried to joke around, Casey hadn't known what to make of it. But now he recognized it as just Shawn's amiable nature. Casey was sure he must have tons of friends back home.

"Oh, I see, you had a crush on someone!" Shawn baited. "Damn, I know how that feels. Seeing them every day and not being able to do anything about it. It sucks--"

"No, it wasn't like that," Casey snapped, annoyed that Shawn had drawn the wrong conclusion. Of course, Casey hadn't really given him any information to draw a different one.

Shawn, of course, frowned back at him now confused. "So you didn't have some secret crush on a guy?"

"No. Well, sort of," Casey floundered, sighing in frustration. "God, you're an asshole, you know that."

"Me? What did I do?" Shawn looked affronted but not really upset by the teasing accusation.

"You really want me to tell you all the gory details?"

"Well, yeah, now I do," Shawn said as if it should be obvious. "You're being deliberately vague, so it must be pretty good, or er, bad, depending on how you look at it."

Casey actually chuckled as he looked over at Shawn grinning at him. He couldn't believe how comfortable he felt around the guy after spending just a couple hours with him each of the last few days. Even with the current of interest bubbling beneath the surface, they had settled quickly into an easy friendship, something Casey had quickly latched onto, even if he didn't have much experience interacting with others. It terrified him how much he now craved Shawn's attention. What if he said something or did something that drove him away, like Roshan?

"I'll tell you mine, if you tell me yours," Shawn said with a flirtatious wink, catching Casey off guard from his inner deliberations.

"What?"

"Mine, I'll tell you my boyfriend horror story, if you tell me about your whatever at the clinic," Shawn offered, waving his hand to emphasize the whatever.

"What are you, some girl? I'll tell you my secret if you tell me yours?" Casey joked. "This isn't some teenage sleepover or something."

"Well, hell, it could be," Shawn said, wriggling his eyebrows. "And how would you know about teenage sleepovers anyway, Mr. Solitude?"

"Hey, I've watched movies."

"Not any good ones, if they have teenagers gossiping at sleepovers," Shawn quipped as he flopped back on his chair, obviously willing to give up the fight for information.

Casey threw his towel in the guy's face, laughing. "Screw you."

"Really?" Shawn sat up with a hopeful grin on his face, and Casey broke down into hysterical laughter, now used to Shawn's joking over the last few days.

He hadn't been flirted with so blatantly before, probably never would again, but it wasn't scary anymore either. Shawn wasn't pressing him into a corner, trying to steal a forbidden kiss. He wasn't trying to snake a hand up Casey's shirt in a hidden storage room. They were out in the open, and Casey knew that Shawn wouldn't care who saw them together. Shawn wanted to be around him. Not hiding him in the closet.

And suddenly Casey wanted to confide in Shawn. To tell him everything that he'd bottled up for the last five years since Thomas's death. He looked into Shawn's soft blue eyes staring at him as if he were the only person in the world.

Well, he technically was to Casey, at the moment, but Casey suspected even if they were in a roomful of people that this man in front of him would still be aware of only him.

"The guy kissed me," Casey finally admitted, glad the sun already made his skin flushed. He saw Shawn's tanned face turn toward him at the admission. And apparently, Shawn saw the tension in Casey's face because he bit back whatever joking retort he'd been about to make. The slight smile on Shawn's face faded as he obviously sensed something deeper in the simple words. "He was my first kiss. Hell, my only one."

 

@@@@

 

Shawn watched Casey toy with the hem of his swim trunks as he debated continuing. "He was an assistant, studying to be a doctor. Roshan was--"

"Hot?" Shawn helped out with a small understanding smile.

"Yeah," Casey sighed. "We'd been eyeing each other for a few weeks. I wasn't sure what I really felt. It was all kinda new to me, ya know?"

Shawn nodded, knowing exactly how that felt. He'd been shy about showing how he felt about his first crush in high school as well. And he'd never acted on it, keeping his feelings stuffed well back in the closet. It wasn't until college that he'd finally admitted that he was attracted to men. While his family had been much more open-minded than he'd expected, he knew there were high school buddies who wouldn't have been as accepting had he come out earlier.

"Well, he finally cornered me in the storage room one day and kissed me," Casey admitted in a rush.

"And... did you kiss him back?" Shawn asked hesitantly, worried that maybe Casey had felt violated by this Roshan's assertiveness.

"What?" Casey looked confused at what Shawn might be suggesting. "Yeah, of course."

Shawn nodded, glad that what he'd envisioned wasn't the case. "What happened after that? Any other rendezvous?"

Casey flushed and dipped his head. "Yeah, he'd touch me when no one was looking, follow me into the storage room for another kiss and stuff."

"And stuff?" Shawn's brow rose. It was certainly beginning to sound more and more like this guy had pressured Casey into doing something he didn't want to. "How old were you?"

"Sixteen."

"And he was...?"

"Eighteen. Why?"

"So I'm guessing he had more experience at this sort of thing," Shawn suggested.

Casey practically snorted in laughter. "Fuck no. That was the problem. Hell, neither of us knew what we were doing. He didn't do much, just... well," Casey hesitated and flushed an even deeper shade of red, "...he would just, you know, rub his hand under my shirt and stuff... nothing really... you know..."

Shawn let the poor embarrassed guy off the hook. "Okay, yeah, I get it," he grinned.

Casey nodded, apparently grateful for the reprieve in explaining just how far that he and Roshan had not gotten. "Then one day, he just started ignoring me. Glaring at me, like I was doing something wrong when I tried to even talk to him."

Shawn's deep frown mirrored Casey's. "Shit, that doesn't sound good. What was he, a closet case?"

"Yeah, apparently. He blew up one day, claimed I was the one practically molesting him. In front of my uncle too."

"Oh, shit, that sucks," Shawn sucked in a deep breath. "So he basically threw you under the bus after using you to play out his closet fantasies."

Casey stared at him like he couldn't believe that Shawn had understood it all that easily. Had he been worried that I'd judge him for something some asshole did to him? Shawn thought.

"Yeah, well, now you know why I haven't been back," Casey shrugged obviously trying to pretend the memory didn't bother him, but Shawn could tell that he'd been hurt pretty deeply. "So, your turn," Casey added quickly, apparently ready to be done with his part of the conversation.

Shawn grinned. "So... this one time at band camp..." he said flippantly. He paused, waiting for a laugh, some reaction to break Casey's mood as he referenced the iconic movie.

But he was just greeted with a frown and an odd tilt of that sandy head.

"Really? Nothing?" Shawn practically pouted.

"What?" Casey looked sincerely puzzled.

"We really need to find you some decent movies to watch," Shawn grumbled. But he easily sat back, grabbing up the sun block next to the chair and started to slather it on as he let Casey know exactly what he now thought of his cheating ex-boyfriend who had royally screwed him over. "So it wasn't bad enough that I had to catch him making out with some buff macho biker dude with like fifty tattoos on my couch. But he had to blab to the world that Rachelle Adrian, the famous historical romance novelist, is actually a gay guy."

 

@@@@

 

"What?" Casey had listened to Shawn's tirade about his self-centered ex-boyfriend somewhat distantly as he'd followed the flow of Shawn's hands over his taunt abs and chest. He was so engrossed watching those hands smearing the gloppy white lotion over those long legs that he was sure that he must have missed something because he wasn't sure how a romance novelist fit into the story.

"Here," Shawn said as he plopped the sun block in Casey's hand, "Put some on my back, will ya?"

Absently, Casey took the tube and squeezed some out as Shawn presented his back. He stared at the expanse of bronze in front of him for a few seconds before he jerked and squirt some of the lotion on Shawn's back. He hesitantly reached his hand out and began to smooth it across the warm skin. He could practically feel his hands shaking as nerves that had long since been gone since the first days they'd hung out together flooded back.

As he spread the sun block over Shawn's skin, he fought to remember what he'd asked. He had to distract himself from the golden skin in front of him. That he was touching.

"Um, what did you say about a romance novelist?" he practically croaked.

Shawn's shoulders jerked slightly as he laughed. "You really don't know what I'm talking about, do you?"

Casey's fingers paused in their exploration, wondering what he'd really missed when he'd let himself be distracted. "Uh, well, no. I guess not."

"I'm Shawn Brockton, the gay guy who writes the Rachelle Adrian novels," Shawn seemed to try to prompt something he must have thought Casey knew already.

"Really? You write romance?" Casey's hand slid across the broad shoulders to his neck. He rubbed briefly at a knot before his hand slipped down the long spine.

"Yeah, I wrote really good romance. Like thousands of dollars worth of romance a month," Shawn said wistfully, turning slightly to look at Casey. "It's been all over the news and tabloids."

"Oh," Casey frowned. "I guess I don't really pay a lot of attention to that sort of thing."

Shawn only chuckled. "Yeah, I figured when you didn't react when I first told you my name."

"So you're like hiding out here too. Like I am," Casey smiled.

"Yeah, I guess in a way. Except you know why I'm hiding, to let the media storm die down a bit. You, on the other hand, just seem to be hiding indefinitely."

Casey's smile fell.

He dropped the tube of sun block in the sand and abruptly stormed off. Fuck him. Casey wasn't going to feel chastised for his isolation. It wasn't like he had a choice.

"Casey! Wait!" Shawn's voice yelled after him. "I didn't mean it like that."

He whipped around and Shawn nearly ran into him.

"What the hell did you mean then? Because--" Casey stopped abruptly, his head tilting as he turned to look back towards his house. His eyes widened in horror.

The crunch of tires on the gravel could be heard over the soft, rhythmic crash of the surf.

Uncle Martin.

 

@@@@

 

Martin returned earlier than usual from work, hoping to analyze some of the data from Casey's lab work. He had been surprised by the stamina readings, as they seemed higher than usual and he wondered what might be causing it. His blood pressure and heart rate seemed higher as well. As he steered down the narrow land bridge back to his home, he took a moment to take in their neighbor's home.

The jeep was still there. So Mr. Brockton must still be in residence. Fortunately, the man had followed his mandate to stay on his side of the island as Martin had barely seen the man at all. He'd occasionally caught sight of him in the evenings on the beach, but he'd stayed to his side and hadn't bothered to try to come back and socialize.

He finished the drive up to the house, slamming the door as he exited. Opening the door to the cool house, he listened briefly for Casey. A quick, automatic check of the controls to Casey's collar told him everything was in working order. Even though the app on his phone said it was, he still habitually checked it every day. The shock of it going off this morning when Casey had set off the alarm still had his nerves on edge. He couldn't help feeling like Casey was testing him somehow, pushing his limits. To what purpose though, he had no idea.

"Casey?" he called as he made his way upstairs, figuring the boy was in his room as usual.

Finding the room empty, he frowned and made his way back down, next checking the library. Empty. He felt his chest tighten as he turned toward the kitchen. If Casey had been in there, he was sure he'd have heard him. Finding it empty as well, he wondered just what Casey could have done. Would he have defied his orders and gone out to the beach during the day? Had Casey let their damn neighbor see him swimming again?

His hands fisted at his side as he stormed toward the glass doors to the deck. He flung the door open, fully expecting to look over the rail and see his investment exposing himself to the world in the waters below.

"Uncle?"

He nearly stumbled when Casey sat up from where he was laying on a towel on the deck. He didn't know whether to be happy or furious. The emotions warred within him as the boy looked up at him nervously.

"What the fuck are you doing outside?" he finally growled. He'd had enough scares for one damn day.

"I just wanted a little sun," the young man said, and Martin didn't like the slight edge of defiance in his voice. "You said I had to stay out of sight of our neighbors. And I have. He can't see me up here."

Martin looked over the railing. He could see Shawn Brockton packing up his lounge chair. It was obvious he wasn't even interested in looking their way. Probably having not seen anything over the last several days, he didn't expect to now. And Casey was definitely hidden by the height of the deck.

"I told you to stay inside," Martin gritted out.

Casey rose, gathering up his towel, and even though Martin sensed a bit of fear radiating off the boy, Casey lifted his chin obstinately. "Nothing fucking happened! So what if our neighbor sees me. You already told him you have a nephew that visits. It's not like I'm running up to him and yelling 'hey, I'm a fucking mutant, look at me!'"

Martin reached out to grab Casey, but when the boy instinctively ducked away, he noted the flinch of fear before Casey righted himself. Martin suppressed his grin. A little fear was always good in maintaining discipline. If Casey was afraid of what he might do, then he wouldn't risk truly defying him.

But he had to be careful, maintain a balance, or he could push Casey away from him. He still needed Casey to fear the big, bad world outside their island more than he feared what Martin might do.

So, he reached out and gripped the younger man's neck firmly. "Casey, you know I'm only worried about your safety. I don't want you taking unnecessary risks like you did this morning."

"But--"

Martin shook the boy's neck slightly like he might a rag doll. "Just follow my instructions from now on. Okay?"

Casey sighed. "Yeah, fine."

But Martin couldn't help but notice that the boy was still hedging the edge of rebellion.

"Go make dinner. I'm going to check on your test results," he demanded.

As Casey whipped open the door without even acknowledging his statement, Martin clenched his hand before storming back into his study. He briefly heard a pot slam down on the stove before he shut the door. Damn brat.

 

@@@@

 

Casey slammed the pot loudly to hide his shaking body. When he finally heard the study door close, he collapsed to the floor in the kitchen, shivering uncontrollably.

Oh, fuck, that had been close. He buried his head in his hands as he tried to get his breathing under control.

When he'd heard his uncle's SUV crunching down the gravel road toward the house, he'd nearly had a heart attack. Shawn had seen the panic in his face and told him to just run, that he'd take care of the stuff on the beach.

Casey was so grateful that Shawn didn't question his worry that he'd taken off up the path, praying he could beat his uncle to the house. But he hadn't. His uncle had already opened the door before he could get inside.

The only thing he could think of was to stay on the deck. The only thing he could think of was to grab one of the towels drying on the rail and lay out, pretending he'd needed sun.

When his uncle had stormed out looking so furious, he was sure the man was ready to hit him again. He'd managed to use his fears to fuel his own anger towards his uncle's commands.

And fortunately, it seemed to work. Uncle Martin had no idea that he'd just been down on the beach with Shawn. But now, Casey could feel the adrenaline from the worry of getting caught fading from his body, leaving him an exhausted, quivering mess.

Copyright © 2017 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

This was a pivotal chapter as Casey begins to see that he can trust Shawn. Sharing one of his deepest hurts and not being judged by it is the first step across a bridge. Martin coming home early was probably a good thing in this case. It gives them both a little time to cool down and think about that last exchange about Casey being in hiding indefinitely. Shawn doesn't realize that is the key to Casey's deepest secret. I found it very sad to hear Casey refer to himself as a mutant. Has Martin used that word to describe him? We can see Martin being more and more concerned about how to best manipulate Casey and cow him down than the sham of 'protecting' him.

Link to comment

What will come first: Casey confiding in Shawn about what is really going on, or Martin finding the two together? Either way it won't be good, but I would prefer the first (although I'm sure that's not what will happen). We're getting there though.

Link to comment

You know, Martin planned for a year with Peter to save Casey from Dr. Harris. Peter would be so disappointed now to see that Casey needs saving from Martin.

I hope that before Martin catches on, Casey has the chance to tell Shawn more, if not everything about what's going on. Maybe Shawn will see Casey swimming with the pod and that will force the situation. But Shawn needs to know so he can be of help and fast. Great chapter.

Link to comment

Let's face it--Martin is a manipulative bastard--whatever love he may have had for Casey has been lost, and all that's left now is scientific curiosity--and protectiveness of his "discovery", knowing that his announcement of Casey will make him famous and/or rich.

It will be explosive when Martin finds out how much Shawn really knows about the situation...and just how far Martin will go to "protect" Casey.

Another fine chapter!

Link to comment
On 04/27/2015 12:05 PM, drpaladin said:
This was a pivotal chapter as Casey begins to see that he can trust Shawn. Sharing one of his deepest hurts and not being judged by it is the first step across a bridge. Martin coming home early was probably a good thing in this case. It gives them both a little time to cool down and think about that last exchange about Casey being in hiding indefinitely. Shawn doesn't realize that is the key to Casey's deepest secret. I found it very sad to hear Casey refer to himself as a mutant. Has Martin used that word to describe him? We can see Martin being more and more concerned about how to best manipulate Casey and cow him down than the sham of 'protecting' him.
These next few chapters are about building that trust and their relationship. Martin is definitely becoming more concerned about controlling Casey. Thanks!
Link to comment
On 04/27/2015 11:00 PM, Terry P said:
What will come first: Casey confiding in Shawn about what is really going on, or Martin finding the two together? Either way it won't be good, but I would prefer the first (although I'm sure that's not what will happen). We're getting there though.
That is true, either way it would be explosive. And you know me, it will probably be pretty big. hehe :)
Link to comment
On 04/28/2015 07:45 AM, Defiance19 said:
You know, Martin planned for a year with Peter to save Casey from Dr. Harris. Peter would be so disappointed now to see that Casey needs saving from Martin.

I hope that before Martin catches on, Casey has the chance to tell Shawn more, if not everything about what's going on. Maybe Shawn will see Casey swimming with the pod and that will force the situation. But Shawn needs to know so he can be of help and fast. Great chapter.

Oh, Peter/Thomas would definitely be disappointed in Martin. Thanks so much for reading and reviewing! So glad you are enjoying it.
Link to comment
On 04/29/2015 07:34 AM, Robert Rex said:
Let's face it--Martin is a manipulative bastard--whatever love he may have had for Casey has been lost, and all that's left now is scientific curiosity--and protectiveness of his "discovery", knowing that his announcement of Casey will make him famous and/or rich.

It will be explosive when Martin finds out how much Shawn really knows about the situation...and just how far Martin will go to "protect" Casey.

Another fine chapter!

Explosions to come--definitely :) So glad you are enjoying it. Thanks so much for reviewing!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..