Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 2,857 Words
  • 3,834 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beneath the Current - 34. Chapter 34

Chapter 34--Epilogue

 

Casey stared blankly out over the water, the boat bobbing gently on the currents. Shawn's arms were wrapped around his waist, his chin propped on Casey's shoulder. It was finally over. Casey was still torn between feeling overwhelming relief that Martin was gone and guilt that he should feel that way.

It had been hard standing next to all those people from the village, listening to their sympathies and their praise of Martin Jorss as such a wonderful man. Dr. Buratha had arranged the memorial service to allow everyone to say their good-byes to the man who had helped take care of them so well. Casey could barely stand to look at the box containing Martin Jorss's ashes on the table amid all the flowers of remembrance.

It had hurt Casey to hear how much Martin had seemed to care for them, when he obviously hadn't felt anything for him. Martin had come across to them as the doting uncle of an anthrophobic nephew. Apparently Martin had cultivated the image that Casey didn't do well with other people, especially after his short stint trying to help at the clinic. So many were very sympathetic to Casey, keeping a slight distance, which Casey was actually grateful for.

Although Casey was sure most of what the villagers had seen was a front that Martin put on for them, it still didn't help hearing how much they loved Martin and would miss him horribly. Casey felt Shawn practically vibrating next to him ready to explode if he had to continue to listen to them expounding Martin's virtues much longer.

Casey had stoically accepted their comments throughout the service; gripping Shawn's hand had managed to keep him grounded, to keep him from getting lost in the flood of emotions again.

Now they were finally alone hours later, with the box of Martin's ashes gripped tightly in Casey's fingers. He had an eerie sense of déjà vu as he stared out over the waters. He'd been here five years ago holding Thomas's ashes while Martin had driven the boat. But he didn't feel the same overwhelming loss that he had then, just a sense of solace and a bit of sadness.

Neither Casey nor Shawn said anything the entire ride out on the boat. Casey knew Shawn was giving him space, time with his thoughts. But it was time to let go-- let go of the false hope he'd had that Martin would ever love him, let go of the hurt of Martin's hateful words, let go of the fear of Martin's collar and the man's control over his life.

"You okay?" Shawn interrupted Casey's thoughts with a gentle squeeze, obviously sensing the tension in Casey's body.

Casey nodded, blinking quickly and allowing just the one tear to escape from the corner of his eye. One tear for the man Thomas had obviously loved, the man Martin used to be.

Casey stepped free of Shawn's comforting embrace to move to the edge of the boat and looked down into the waters. "Uncle, I know you loved him, and he must have loved you--so much that there wasn't any room left for me. I just want you to know he did keep me safe for a while, like you asked. But I can't forgive him for what he did to me, to Shawn," Casey spoke softly to the waters. "Maybe he'll be at peace again with you, Uncle Thomas, because he was never at peace with me. I miss you, but I can't say that I will truly miss him."

With that, Casey let go. He dropped the box of Martin Jorss's ashes into the waters with a splash. Casey felt Shawn's firm hand stroking soothingly along his spine as they both watched the dark box sink beneath the currents.

 

 @@@@

 

Casey rolled over in the bed, feeling the ocean breeze from the open window wash over him, ruffling the sheet pooled at his waist. He was sprawled out on his stomach, arms wrapped around pillows that smelled of Shawn. He let out a contented sigh, revealing in the memory of Shawn's arms wrapped around him, their legs entangled together.

It was a moment he relived every night when Shawn practically shrouded him after they made love. And Casey loved being held. Shawn clutched at him like he was afraid Casey was going to disappear, he even woke up if Casey had to make a midnight trip to the bathroom. It amused Casey to no end, and he reveled in the love he felt emanating from the man every day.

A year now. And their lives had settled peacefully into their island home.

Instead of spending much time on the 'big house' other than cleaning out that room and making it basically a vacation home for Shawn's family, they focused on their own home, updating furniture and appliances once they had decided to stay. At first, Casey had insisted that they go back to the US, so Shawn could be close to his family. But Shawn refused. The island was perfect for them, even if it held some bad memories from the past. They were making new, happier memories every day. The island was safe, serene. Theirs. Home.

Casey stretched, knowing that Shawn was downstairs, allowing Casey to sleep in. Some mornings Casey was up first, heading out for his morning swim, but others Shawn was up early and writing, out on the deck usually.

He finally rolled out of the bed, padding naked to the bathroom. He smiled to himself as he heard Shawn downstairs talking to himself, fussing at the internet connection. Most of the time it was fine, but if a storm was brewing, it could be a little unpredictable. He smirked as he reached in the cabinet. A few minutes later, he headed downstairs to see Shawn sitting on the couch.

 

@@@@

 

Shawn glanced at him briefly, a quick double take at Casey's nakedness momentarily distracting him, before returning to his laptop. It wasn't unusual for either one of them to wander around in the buff; in fact, Casey usually did in the mornings since he often headed out for a swim after a quick bite to eat. It still didn't stop him from admiring the view.

But today he was surprised when Casey dropped to his knees in front of him, instead of heading to the kitchen, those amazing hands groping his thighs.

"Stop it, Case!" Shawn squirmed under Casey's roving hands. "I need to get this manuscript sent off."

The blond just laughed from his position on the floor and continued sliding his hands up Shawn's shorts. Shawn jerked as fingers curled around his hardening cock, causing the laptop in his lap to be nearly dumped on the floor.

"I thought you were going out for a swim," Shawn growled as he took in the lean naked form crouched in front of him.

"I am. After I'm done here." Casey grinned wickedly.

Shawn finally huffed, closing the computer, and setting it on their new leather couch next to him.

"Fine, you win," Shawn conceded exaggeratedly. As Casey deftly unbuttoned his khakis, he sank into the plush softness of the sofa. It was soooo much more comfortable than the one that had been here when he'd arrived a year ago.

It had taken a few months, but they had slowly managed to get new furniture shipped to their cozy little cottage on their island. They had eventually ventured back in, clearing out the study completely and locking it up. They had donated any medical supplies back to the clinic, and Shawn had carefully gone through the computer and files--deleting and trashing many of the ones detailing studies on Casey. He didn't want anyone to be able to ever get a hold of any of it. Casey kept only a couple items that reminded him of Thomas.

They had considered renting the house out as a vacation home, but so far they hadn't done so. Shawn made enough in royalties that they weren't worried about money, so it wasn't imperative that they sell it or rent it out. So it currently sat empty. Only Shawn's family had enjoyed it so far.

Shawn knew that Casey had been nervous about meeting his family, but Shawn hadn't been concerned at all.

 

@@@@

 

"So this is the young man who finally tamed you," his father had greeted Casey with a wide smile.

Casey shifted uneasily on his feet, still not that comfortable around other people. Even just their short forays into town had Casey tense and anxious. Shawn wasn't sure why, everyone they ran into had been welcoming--only a couple of people had even looked at them with any hint of disdain, but they were few and far between--not that they went into town very often. But it had only been a month since Martin's death, and Casey was still a bit jumpy that someone might suddenly snatch him away to a little tank in a science lab like Martin had tried to do.

"Well, I'm so happy to finally meet you," Shawn's mom gushed, reaching for Casey so quickly Shawn felt Casey flinch. Shawn clenched his jaw at the thought of why Casey reacted so strongly around anyone but himself. Fucking Martin. His mom faltered slightly, surprised by Casey's reaction, but Casey quickly smiled and took a small step closer.

Mrs. Brockton carefully wrapped her arms around his boyfriend, and Casey relaxed.

"It's nice to meet you too, Mrs. Brockton," Casey said rather formally before turning to Shawn's father. "And you too, Mr. Brockton."

"Oh, screw that, call me David," Mr. Brockton laughed, pulling Casey into a man-clench. "You're family now."

"This is soooo cool!" A shrill voice from the kitchen called. Shawn's younger sister bounced excitedly at the back door. She was only sixteen, so he hadn't gotten to see her much after he'd moved out several years ago, but Jennifer was his little sister and he loved her to death. Her exuberance and squeals of excitement, though, were quickly pricking his limits.

Casey, however, seemed to find Jennifer's zeal fascinating, and Shawn watched as Casey's worry and anxiety slowly melted away in the face of how accepting Shawn's family really was. Shawn had tried to tell him that he had nothing to worry about, but of course it hadn't worked.

He grinned as his sister bounded back over to them. "Can I go swimming now? Oh, god, the water is so blue. And clear! And... Please? Oh, wait..." She stopped mid-bounce and whipped out her phone, "I've got to tell Hailey! She's going to be sooo jealous!"

Jennifer turned back to the deck and started snapping pictures of the turquoise waters before her thumbs flew over the keys to send the pics off to her friends.

The rest of them just laughed. "Well, I think Jenn is fine hanging out here for a bit," Shawn mused.

"We're all so glad that you invited us, son." David Brockton laid a heavy hand on Shawn's shoulder. "I know you didn't come out here under the best of circumstances, but, well, I think it's turned out better than anyone could ever have hoped."

"Definitely," Shawn replied, squeezing Casey's hand.

"We're going to miss having you so close, though," his mom sighed. "But it's enough to know you've finally found the right one."

And he had, of that he was certain.

 

@@@@

 

Shawn looked down at the man kneeling at his feet, and he couldn't mistake the look in those beautiful gray eyes for anything other than love.

Shawn followed the sleek lines of Casey's bare torso, muscles rippling under sun-kissed skin as Casey leaned over his lap. He sucked in a sharp breath as warm, moist heat enveloped his thickening cock. Casey's deft tongue swirled around the tip before taking in the entire length of Shawn's engorged member.

"Oh fuck," Shawn gasped, wrapping his fingers in the silky blond hair. He couldn't stop his hips from thrusting up into that inviting mouth. And when Casey engulfed him completely, surely blocking his airway, Shawn had a moment of loving Casey's ability to hold his breath longer than most. As Casey swallowed around him, squeezing his cock, Shawn nearly came right then.

"Get up here," he growled, tugging gently at the hair entangled in his fingers. Casey crawled from the floor with a sly grin on his face, his body sliding against Shawn's seductively. Shawn cupped the tight buttocks, guiding Casey to his lap. He crashed his lips to Casey's, devouring the man in a deep kiss. Casey's teeth gnashed against his in their fight for dominance. Then Shawn felt the tip of his slick cock nudging at Casey's puckered hole as Casey abruptly reared back, sinking down over his arousal in one thrust.

Shawn gasped as Casey's tight heat squeezed his cock, shocked by the abrupt sheathing. Casey had obviously prepared himself for this, expecting Shawn to give in to him. "Oh, God, Case!"

"Shawn!" Casey gripped his shoulders as the pleasure of being filled gripped him.

Then Casey began to move, and Shawn found himself trying to hold back his orgasm. Shawn couldn't help thrusting up and meeting Casey's slow slide down his cock. When Casey's breathing became harsh and his nails dug into his shoulders, Shawn knew Casey was close too. He reached between them and took a hold of Casey's leaking cock.

He brushed his thumb through the slickness at the tip, eliciting a soft hiss as Casey increased his pace. As Shawn pumped Casey's cock, he felt the tremors of Casey's approaching orgasm. Casey gasped, crying out as he spilled over Shawn's tanned abs.

As Casey came, Shawn felt those tight walls clamp around him, spasming in his ecstasy, and dragging Shawn over the edge as well. White, hot jets of cum pulsed into his love, and Shawn clutched him closer.

Casey collapsed against him, and Shawn reveled in the feel of the man he loved in his arms.

"Come with me," Casey whispered against his neck.

"Didn't I just do that already?" Shawn joked.

Casey laughed, "Smart ass. You know what I meant."

Shawn smiled at the sparkle in Casey's eyes as he allowed himself to be pulled up. He yanked off his own shorts, briefly wiping away some of the mess on his stomach. He slipped on his swim trunks that were still drying on the back of one of the kitchen chairs and grabbed his snorkel before following Casey outside and down the path to the beach.

He loved watching the ripple of Casey's skin over the taut muscles as he walked toward the waters. Swimming with Casey had taken on a whole new depth. Now that Casey was free to allow his mer half out in front of Shawn, there was now an exciting, carefree, playful side to the man he loved.

Shawn often used a snorkel and flippers now to keep up with Casey as much as he could, but Casey never left him behind. And he never felt safer in the water than he did with his beautiful merman. Even the thought of sharks or other predators didn't scare him anymore because he knew Casey would keep him safe, just like he was determined to keep Casey safe from the rest of the world.

He stood in the surf as he watched his man dive into the waters, shifting flawlessly and gliding out to wait for him. He could watch Casey's long sleek, hybrid body skimming through the waters forever. It was beautiful and amazing.

"Come on!" Casey called as he surfaced, flipping his head and flinging water from his golden locks.

Shawn donned his snorkel and clumsily waded in far enough to be able to finally swim toward his man. Casey immediately grabbed his hand and began dragging him along. Shawn let himself be pulled through the waters, watching in awe, as he always did, the wonders beneath the surface. The darting of tiny fish, the coral and anemone, the urchins and starfish... so many things he'd never taken the time to really notice before. But now, under Casey's tutelage, he saw everything, and it was incredible.

"Look, they're back." Casey beamed, pointing out over the waters.

Shawn lifted his mask to see more clearly what Casey was pointing at. Oh, man, he breathed in awe.

A pod of dolphins was frolicking in the waves, clicking and jumping playfully. Shawn grinned back at Casey, who smiled before issuing a series of clicking noises himself.

The pod turned in their direction, and Shawn found himself stunned again at how Casey could do that. He had a moment of apprehension when the large mammals brushed up against him, but they just nudged him gently and he laughed as he stroked his hand over their smooth, rubbery skin. It was just like Casey's tail.

"They're beautiful, aren't they?" Casey beamed proudly, as he stroked the head of one sleek mammal.

Shawn smirked. "Not as beautiful as you are."

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed it!
Thanks again to Cazpedroso for all her help with betaing and editing!
Copyright © 2017 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 43
  • Love 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Great story Craftingmom!!!!

 

Early on I didn't know if I would enjoy a story of a merman, thinking it was a little too far out there for my liking. I guess in a way, that was a part of Casey, but more so the story was about the wounded, scared, isolated human being that was being kept prisoner by his Uncle.

 

The relationship that developed between Shawn and Casey was the real story to me.

 

Well done :worship:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Really good ending. Martin dying was sadly the only way out for them. Now, they can focus on building a life for them in their tropical paradise.

 

It would be interesting to get a little snippet from these guys further on. Maybe Casey could tell Shawn's sister about his mer side? To tell the world would probably be a very bad idea, but a few more people?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Thanks for giving us another wonderful story. You always imbue your characters with so much detail and life that they simply must be out there somewhere. We are always glad to see our hero safe and happy, but there is that little twinge of sorrow that this story has reached its end.

 

I'm glad Shawn and Casey decided to remain on the island. Casey is truly safe, close to the sea, and with someone who loves him. I can't help wondering what Shawn is writing now. Perhaps it's a fantasy series about a merman. Or would that be too telling?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This story, from beginning to end just captured and held us in awe...from the concept of a merman, to the danger and adventure of escaping and living with a mad 'Uncle', to meeting a love and 'saviour'!!! Each of your stories takes us and our imagination into all of your characters feelings so vividly...their pain, joy, loving, confusion, anger, and ending relief!! As always, its been a ride...kinda like your own private self-made roller coaster that you've allowed us to ride...IT WAS BEYOND FABULOUS!! :worship::2thumbs::thankyou:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I must say that I was originally skeptical that I would enjoy a tale of a human-dolphin hybrid, but i will admit that you captured my imaginationand my heart as well. Beautifully written from beginning to end, this was a joy to read .
Thank you for sharing :0 Mike

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Wonderful story!
I enjoyed every bit of it and will miss reading about Casey and Shawn - is it too soon to ask for C & S Shorts?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Been away, had a lot of catching up to do--15 chapters! But definitely worth the read.
Several cliffhangers throughout, but the solid build of the characters of Casey and Shawn kept my interest level up; a natural start and escalation of the romance. And you certainly did well at portraying an evil and ultimately insane Uncle Martin!
Solid writing, an interesting tale, enough detail to flesh out the characters and scenes but not enough to bury a reader ... another great job of consistently good writing!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

From the very beginning, to the perfect ending, this was a delightful, and well told story. I will miss catching up with Casey and Shawn. Thank you!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/24/2015 09:53 PM, quokka said:

Wonderful story, enjoyed it so much. Thankyou.

You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Link to comment
On 06/24/2015 01:27 PM, Defiance19 said:

From the very beginning, to the perfect ending, this was a delightful, and well told story. I will miss catching up with Casey and Shawn. Thank you!

Thank you. This story did take me much longer to write than the others, so I will miss them as well. Maybe a few shorts will be necessary. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/23/2015 10:40 AM, Robert Rex said:

Been away, had a lot of catching up to do--15 chapters! But definitely worth the read.

Several cliffhangers throughout, but the solid build of the characters of Casey and Shawn kept my interest level up; a natural start and escalation of the romance. And you certainly did well at portraying an evil and ultimately insane Uncle Martin!

Solid writing, an interesting tale, enough detail to flesh out the characters and scenes but not enough to bury a reader ... another great job of consistently good writing!

Thank you! I always hope to get that happy medium between the building relationship and not losing readers to too much detail. So glad you enjoyed it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/23/2015 08:36 AM, Reader1810 said:

Wonderful story!

I enjoyed every bit of it and will miss reading about Casey and Shawn - is it too soon to ask for C & S Shorts?

:) Aww, it's never too soon to ask for more, just not sure when I'll get to it though. So glad you enjoyed it and thanks for all the reviews.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/23/2015 08:10 AM, flamingo136 said:

I must say that I was originally skeptical that I would enjoy a tale of a human-dolphin hybrid, but i will admit that you captured my imaginationand my heart as well. Beautifully written from beginning to end, this was a joy to read .

Thank you for sharing :0 Mike

Thank you! I wanted to write something a little different than the usual merman tale, so I hope I delivered. Thanks so much for reading! Glad you liked it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/23/2015 06:43 AM, Onim said:

This story, from beginning to end just captured and held us in awe...from the concept of a merman, to the danger and adventure of escaping and living with a mad 'Uncle', to meeting a love and 'saviour'!!! Each of your stories takes us and our imagination into all of your characters feelings so vividly...their pain, joy, loving, confusion, anger, and ending relief!! As always, its been a ride...kinda like your own private self-made roller coaster that you've allowed us to ride...IT WAS BEYOND FABULOUS!! :worship::2thumbs::thankyou:

Thank you!!! So glad you enjoyed the ride!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/23/2015 06:03 AM, drpaladin said:

Thanks for giving us another wonderful story. You always imbue your characters with so much detail and life that they simply must be out there somewhere. We are always glad to see our hero safe and happy, but there is that little twinge of sorrow that this story has reached its end.

 

I'm glad Shawn and Casey decided to remain on the island. Casey is truly safe, close to the sea, and with someone who loves him. I can't help wondering what Shawn is writing now. Perhaps it's a fantasy series about a merman. Or would that be too telling?

Thank you so very much! I have greatly enjoyed your reviews and help as always. And I did think of Shawn writing a sci-fi series about a merman :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/23/2015 05:50 AM, Puppilull said:

Really good ending. Martin dying was sadly the only way out for them. Now, they can focus on building a life for them in their tropical paradise.

 

It would be interesting to get a little snippet from these guys further on. Maybe Casey could tell Shawn's sister about his mer side? To tell the world would probably be a very bad idea, but a few more people?

Thank you! I loved reading all your reviews and getting your insight and help throughout the story. It really helps to see if I'm on the right track. I will definitely consider Shawn and Casey for a set of shorts just like Kayden and Avery. Shawn's sister would definitely be an interesting secondary character to explore.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/23/2015 05:37 AM, wildone said:

Great story Craftingmom!!!!

 

Early on I didn't know if I would enjoy a story of a merman, thinking it was a little too far out there for my liking. I guess in a way, that was a part of Casey, but more so the story was about the wounded, scared, isolated human being that was being kept prisoner by his Uncle.

 

The relationship that developed between Shawn and Casey was the real story to me.

 

Well done :worship:

Thank you! I really wanted to make it more about the relationship than going too 'out there' with the merman concept. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Beautiful story. You pulled me right in from the start and made me care deeply about Casey. I couldn't put the story down. So glad they finally found happiness. Thanks for sharing with us.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/31/2015 07:25 AM, jvaughn said:

Beautiful story. You pulled me right in from the start and made me care deeply about Casey. I couldn't put the story down. So glad they finally found happiness. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Most of my stories have a happy ending, it's just a rough ride getting there :).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..