Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 2,798 Words
  • 3,852 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beneath the Current - 24. Chapter 24

Chapter 24

 

The minute his uncle had deemed them far enough out, Casey had stripped and dove into the water, the tingling itch that had begun to plague him soothed immediately as he transformed. For some reason, his uncle had allowed him over an hour of freedom, following him idly in the boat instead of calling him back when he strayed too far. Casey thought maybe this little concession was in response to his small demands last night.

His mer side called to him to forget everything else and just be. It wanted to be free to wander on its own, not be constrained by human demands to be safe. Casey knew most of the reason he was feeling this way was because he'd denied it so long, and with the full moon so damn close, it was almost too hard to ignore.

But one thing held him back--and it wasn't his uncle's fucking collar. It was Shawn. Thoughts of last night's happiness mingled with the exhilaration of darting through the salty currents beneath the surface. And for a while he was totally at peace.

By the time Martin drew him back to reality and demanded they head back, Casey felt a little more at ease in his own skin. While he knew the urge would return in full force tomorrow with the full moon, at least for now he was content enough not to be too fidgety.

He was vaguely aware of his uncle staring at him a lot, but he didn't care. Even thought Martin had taken him out on the boat, presumably to keep Casey somewhat happy, the man was still in a dark mood. Well, darker than usual. Casey wasn't sure exactly why, but he didn't really care either. He actually hoped that the man would still go in to the clinic, and maybe Casey would get to see Shawn again before the full moon. Martin would definitely stay home tomorrow, and Casey wasn't sure he'd want to risk being with Shawn on the full moon anyway. Today would have been risky enough if he hadn't just been able to stretch his tail, so to speak.

So he was actually a little shocked when Martin did announce after they were docked that he was going in to the clinic for a couple hours. Casey lingered in the kitchen while Martin grabbed his bag and left. Casey was sure the SUV was barely out of sight before he darted out the door and through the woods to the cottage porch.

He'd found Shawn sitting on his deck, with his feet up and his laptop propped up on his lap. The dark head smiled up at him as he jumped up the steps.

"I was hoping you might be over," Shawn said as Casey leaned over and kissed him.

It felt oddly domestic, Casey thought, like coming home.

"Uncle Martin decided he was going to go in for a couple hours today," Casey said, taking a seat in the other chair. He shifted, figuring now would be a good time to let Shawn know that he wouldn't be able to see him tomorrow. "He, uh, said he isn't going in tomorrow."

A small frown marred Shawn's sun-bronzed face. "A whole day without seeing you? That's not fair."

Casey smacked his shoulder playfully. "Very funny."

Shawn set his laptop aside as he climbed out of his chair. Casey eyed the broad expanse of his chest as it loomed over him before Shawn carefully lowered himself to Casey's lap. Casey felt his breath hitch when Shawn's hands smoothed down his chest, brushing over his pebbled nipples.

Shawn's voice was low and sultry as he leaned over and planted kisses along Casey's jaw, dropping lower and lower. "Well, I guess I just have to make use of the time I have now."

Well, damn. Casey wasn't going to argue with that.

 

@@@@

 

Casey woke late the next morning again, but this time it wasn't because of being contentedly snuggled against a warm body like it had been yesterday. He'd been fidgety and unable to rest last night, only falling asleep finally out of pure exhaustion. Knowing the full moon was on the horizon, as well as the fact that he wouldn't be able to be with Shawn today, had kept him anxious and restless.

By the time he wandered down for breakfast, Martin was already cleaning out the coffee pot.

"What's with the sleeping late?" Martin snapped, obviously already irritated for some reason that Casey wasn't even going to bother wondering about.

"Couldn't sleep. Full moon jitters," he said as an excuse. It was partly true anyway.

"Hmmm." Martin also looked tired, but Casey couldn't bring himself to really care.

When his uncle didn't say anything else and just stared at Casey like he used to after Thomas had died, Casey couldn't stand the silence anymore.

"Looks like some clouds are coming in," Casey remarked as he grabbed a glass and made tea instead.

Martin just glared at him as he turned to head for his study. Casey gazed after him with a frown.

"And a jolly good morning to you too," he muttered.

 

@@@@

 

Martin ensconced himself in his study all day. He tried working on finalizing details on his paper, but little things distracted him today. The doctoral certificate on the wall. The set of mythology books on the shelf. The silly cup that held his pens and pencils on his desk. The painting of the Rocky Mountains.

Thomas.

They were all reminders of Thomas. Of their life together. A life they no longer had.

He grabbed up the bottle of bourbon from the bottom of his desk drawer. His little aid on days like this. Their anniversary.

Trying to write the paper and keep his thoughts factual and focused was impossible today when all he wanted was to forget the bastard that had stolen his love's life from him. He shut down the computer, giving up entirely as he poured a generous glass of the amber liquid. It was barely after noon, but he didn't care.

He settled himself back in his chair, pulling out one of Thomas's favorite books from the book shelf behind him. He could lose himself for a bit, before he had to deal with Casey tonight. He swallowed back a large gulp of the bitter fluid, wincing as it burned his throat. It might hurt now, but he was already hurting. Eventually, he thought, at least it might numb the pain.

 

@@@@

 

Casey stared at the darkening sky anxiously. He was ready to head down to the cove, but his uncle had kept himself locked away all day in his study. Boredom had nearly driven Casey crazy. He spent part of the afternoon watching for Shawn from the deck. He figured Shawn might go swimming, but he didn't. Maybe Shawn knew just how much the sight of him would torture Casey even more, and he'd stayed inside to write like he'd said he would yesterday.

It was probably for the best. The sea seemed a little more tumultuous than usual today, and Casey vaguely wondered if a storm might be coming in tomorrow. The sky was still clear, but the winds had picked up a bit this afternoon.

By the time Martin did emerge from his study, he looked even worse than he had that morning. His eyes were red-rimmed, and Casey wondered if he'd had another bad day of thinking about Thomas. There was no way he was going to ask though. That would only get him yelled at, maybe worse, if Martin were truly in a horrible mood. Not that Martin hit him often, but this would be one of those times it would be more likely to happen.

"Let's go, boy," Martin demanded as he carried the small bag that carried the stuff to collect the blood samples after he shifted.

For a second, Casey thought Martin wavered a bit as he headed out, but then the man's eyes narrowed on him for staring, and Casey looked away, hurrying to the door.

With Martin's small flashlight and the full moon lighting the way, they made their way down the path. Casey noticed that his uncle seemed a bit unsteady tonight, and he wondered if he'd had enough sleep. Maybe that was why he looked so weary and bleary-eyed.

Casey felt his skin tingling with the urge to shift as he gazed up at the moon looming in the darkened sky. There was a slight hazy ring around it, and Casey searched the rest of the sky for clouds. A soft breeze blew his hair in his face as he noticed small patches of clouds amongst the stars.

A curse from his uncle drew his attention back as the man slipped on one of the rocks lining the cove. He reached out to help, but Martin had already righted himself and grabbed onto the gate for balance. Casey watched in silence, his hands clenching and unclenching in his anxiousness, as his uncle fumbled with the combination on the padlock. The tide splashed water around their legs, and Casey wanted to yell at him to hurry up. Casey leaned in to ask if he wanted help, but with his uncle's muttered cursing, he could suddenly smell the bourbon on his breath.

Well, hell, no wonder he's fumbling all over the place, Casey thought just as the lock finally clicked free.

Martin yanked the lock out of the clasp, pulling the gate open. "Well? Go on."

Casey hesitated, a prickle of apprehension running down his spine. He glanced into his precious cave longingly, his mer side whining at him to just go. But the unsettled look in his uncle's eyes had him hedging. "Maybe--"

The glare from his uncle silenced him. "You wanted this remember? This, instead of the tank."

"Yeah, but..." Casey fumbled with what to say, "maybe you aren't feeling like--"

"What I'm feeling shouldn't matter to you," Martin grumbled. "Now--"

A particularly large wave washed ashore, crashing over the rocks to the cove. Both of them staggered slightly from the surprise gush of water, the padlock fumbled from Martin's hand.

"Shit," he cursed as he peered into the dark waters.

Casey thought maybe this was another sign that he should just use the tank--his own apprehension, his uncle's inebriated state, the loss of the padlock... "Maybe we should just head back up to the house. I'll use the tank tonight."

"No." And the force of his uncle's refusal surprised him. For a second, he saw that same hate and anger that he'd seen directed at him the day that Thomas had died. He'd seen it enough throughout the years, but not so much as of late. So it shocked him to see it now.

Martin dug in his bag of supplies, producing a tiny padlock that was usually used on luggage. "A backup," Martin explained, "just in case something like this happened. Now get in before I get soaked."

Casey hesitantly slipped his fingers in his waistband and slid the shorts from his slim hips. He jumped down into the deeper water and waded into the cave. He was barely in before Martin slammed the gate closed and used the tiny padlock on the gate's clasp.

"It may be small but it'll do the job," Martin mumbled in satisfaction.

Shift! his mer side yelled at him, and he couldn't deny it any longer, even though his uncle's state made him uneasy. As his legs melded into his sleek tail, Martin had pulled out his syringe and waved at him irritably to hand over his arm. Casey automatically stuck it out through the bars, wincing slightly at the fumbling prick at his skin.

Martin shoved the items away in his bag, already turning away without a word.

"'Night," Casey called. "I'll see you in the morning," strangely feeling like he was asking a question instead of making a statement.

A grunt was his only reply, and he resolved to ignore his uncle's bad mood. Even though he knew his uncle didn't really sleep on these nights, just in case Casey needed him, he might rest a bit in his office and hopefully feel better before dawn.

A strong gust of wind rushed water into the cave, and Casey let himself be buoyed on the currents. Ducking under and swimming in small circles in the tiny cave satisfied his mer half. Drifting on the waves, gazing up at the hazy moon, he let himself go.

 

@@@@

 

Shawn felt the rush of wind through his room, followed shortly by the loud crack of thunder. He startled from the bed, staggering to the window he'd left open to the fresh sea breeze before falling asleep. An impressive storm raged outside. The immense power left him wanting to leave the window open just to feel the wind and rain rushing over his naked body. But, of course, that would get the floor wet. Slamming the window shut, he slipped on the pair of board shorts that he'd worn earlier and headed downstairs.

He'd always loved storms, feeling the power of nature pounding around him left him in awe. He opened the deck door against the surging rain and stepped out. Standing in the middle of the deck with the rain pouring over him and the thunder booming and lightning cracking...he just felt alive. He closed his eyes and tilted his face up to the pelting rain just listening to the roar of Mother Nature's fury.

Not seeing Casey today was disappointing, but he'd managed to get a lot of writing done in the meantime. He had stayed in because being on the beach without Casey just wasn't the same. Watching the man he loved laughing and smiling as they swam, chasing each other through the waters, or lounging on the beach in the warm rays of the sun was soothing to his soul.

His eyes shot open suddenly at a sound filtering though the roar of rain. Was that a scream? Was some animal in trouble? But what the hell animal would be out here besides marine ones? And what would make that kind of sound? A dolphin maybe?

He couldn't ignore the animal's call of distress. He had to go see if he could help, not that he had any idea what to do, but those thoughts didn't really occur to him in his need to do something. He raced through the house slipping on his water shoes for traction and made his way to the path to the beach.

He slid most of the way down the muddy, rocky path, ending up with several scrapes to his shins, calves, and hands, but the cry still echoed faintly on the wind and drove him onward. He paused as he finally reached the beach, listening intently for the next cry of distress. It seemed like it was silent forever, but the terrified call from the poor creature finally came again. It was coming from the southern end of the island.

As he raced over the wet sand, the ground oozing under his feet as he ran making it even more difficult, Shawn wondered if he should have gone to Casey and Martin first. They'd probably know more of what to do than he would. But, of course, that hadn't occurred to him in his panic to help the creature. Maybe he could manage on his own. If not, he'd head up to their house for help.

As he came closer to the southern end, another cry reached him and he nearly stumbled to his knees.

Help? Had the cry really sounded like 'help'? His heart stopped as he realized that maybe it wasn't an animal that he'd been hearing, it was a human. Maybe even his human.

Could Casey or Martin have been out in the storm and gotten hurt? Had they been out on their boat and it capsized? Thoughts raced through his mind as he scrambled closer to the call, frantically searching for the source.

Shawn climbed over the rocks to the cove, slipping again and drawing a cut along the side of his calf. The salt water stung, but he didn't even notice in his panic. He prayed for another cry for help to aid him in finding the source but also because he'd know they were still alive.

"Help!" a voice echoed faintly nearby.

His head swiveled toward the gate Casey had shown him and saw fingers clutching the bars. Oh shit!

A blond head popped up through the waters crashing against the gate, swamping the cave. Shawn's jaw dropped in horror. "Oh, my God. Casey!"

Hope you enjoyed reading! The action picks up from here on out....:)
I'm currently working on Ch. 30 which is pretty close to the end, so I'm estimating that it'll be about 32-33 chapters when finished.
Copyright © 2017 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 38
  • Love 2
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Martin was being even more of his nasty self. It's clear that he really has convinced himself that Thomas is dead because of Casey. After little sleep and hitting the bottle, Martin is likely passed out and unable to hear Casey. I would imagine the waves caused by the storm were causing him to be thrown against the walls of the cove. The big question of the day would be is Casey still in his mer form. If he is, what will Shawn's reaction be? I'd guess shocked, but that could be interpreted wrong by Casey. Then there's Martin to worry about. If he knew Shawn saw Casey shifted, Shawn's life could be in danger. I don't put much past Martin. We are only abot three quarters into the story, so there is a lot of action and turmoil to come.

Link to comment

Disaster strikes and the secret is out (?). Thank god for that puny padlock! What will Shawn think? I'm sure he'll be shocked, but able to understand it doesn't change who Casey is. Just like having hus secret outed didn't change who he is. Even if Shawn's secret is a bit easier to handle...

 

I think you captured the tropical storm really well; terrifying, invigorating and beautiful.

Link to comment

To think Casey, wanted to stay in because he maybe had an idea the cave would not be safe in that kind of storm. If Martin had not been drowning his sorrows he'd have known too. But now Shawn comes in to save the day! At least once he gets over his shock at Casy locked in the cave and possibly in his mer form still. Anxiously awaiting what comes next...

Link to comment

As much as I detest cliffies, this was excellent!!!! Hurry and post the next chapter...please, please, please :)Mike

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

What a great chapter. You have laid the groundwork for a number of different outcomes based on the cliffie. Please post the next chapter soon.

Link to comment

Craftingmom is one of the most imaginative writers on the site. This was an excellent chapter in an riveting story. And so nice to see consistently good grammar and spelling! Thanks Craftingmom!

Link to comment
On 06/09/2015 01:59 AM, reeves99 said:

Craftingmom is one of the most imaginative writers on the site. This was an excellent chapter in an riveting story. And so nice to see consistently good grammar and spelling! Thanks Craftingmom!

Wow, thank you so very much. I am so glad that you are enjoying my works!

Link to comment
On 06/08/2015 01:08 PM, Reader1810 said:

What a great chapter. You have laid the groundwork for a number of different outcomes based on the cliffie. Please post the next chapter soon.

Since I am getting close to finishing, the rest of the chapters may come closer together (maybe every other day instead of every three/four days)... just need to send them off to my beta editor! :)

Link to comment
On 06/08/2015 11:52 AM, flamingo136 said:

As much as I detest cliffies, this was excellent!!!! Hurry and post the next chapter...please, please, please :)Mike

I know, cliffies suck... but I'm so good at them :) But you won't have to wait too long...

Link to comment
On 06/08/2015 09:23 AM, Defiance19 said:

To think Casey, wanted to stay in because he maybe had an idea the cave would not be safe in that kind of storm. If Martin had not been drowning his sorrows he'd have known too. But now Shawn comes in to save the day! At least once he gets over his shock at Casy locked in the cave and possibly in his mer form still. Anxiously awaiting what comes next...

Shawn is definitely going to be a bit in shock.

Link to comment
On 06/08/2015 07:56 AM, Puppilull said:

Disaster strikes and the secret is out (?). Thank god for that puny padlock! What will Shawn think? I'm sure he'll be shocked, but able to understand it doesn't change who Casey is. Just like having hus secret outed didn't change who he is. Even if Shawn's secret is a bit easier to handle...

 

I think you captured the tropical storm really well; terrifying, invigorating and beautiful.

Yes, the secret is definitely out. Now to see how he deals with it. Thanks for letting me know that the imagery of the storm came out well, I was hoping it would.

Link to comment
On 06/08/2015 07:04 AM, drpaladin said:

Martin was being even more of his nasty self. It's clear that he really has convinced himself that Thomas is dead because of Casey. After little sleep and hitting the bottle, Martin is likely passed out and unable to hear Casey. I would imagine the waves caused by the storm were causing him to be thrown against the walls of the cove. The big question of the day would be is Casey still in his mer form. If he is, what will Shawn's reaction be? I'd guess shocked, but that could be interpreted wrong by Casey. Then there's Martin to worry about. If he knew Shawn saw Casey shifted, Shawn's life could be in danger. I don't put much past Martin. We are only abot three quarters into the story, so there is a lot of action and turmoil to come.

Very good guesses! How Casey reacts to Shawn seeing him in his mer form is the big question--next chapter! And definitely more turmoil to come!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..