Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 3,381 Words
  • 4,245 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beneath the Current - 11. Chapter 11

Chapter 11

 

Of course, Martin didn't go into the village that afternoon or the next day either. He'd said something about having a headache. And even though he'd spent pretty much the whole day locked up in his study, Casey had known slipping out wasn't an option.

But finally, Martin did leave, after Casey had spent the last two days fretting over his decision to meet up with Shawn again. He was beginning to think that Martin knew something, but he realized he was just being paranoid and needed to relax.

Casey had purposefully kept himself ensconced in the library that morning so his uncle wouldn't see his anxiety. Martin had poked his head in the door to let Casey know he was leaving as he usually did, stating he'd be back around three and they could do an early dinner. He even hinted about going out on the boat and doing a little pearl diving, but Casey didn't get his hopes up. Martin often dangled that sweet tidbit in front of him only to change his mind later.

Casey waited until he heard the front door close before he moved to the window, edging the curtain aside to watch his uncle climb into his SUV and turn around in front of the house before heading out over the mile long land bridge connecting them to the Sri Lankan mainland.

Now for the hard part: waiting to make sure Martin was really gone. It was rare he came back, but there were those rare instances that he'd forget something and head back, usually within a half hour. It was eleven a.m. now. He rubbed his suddenly sweaty hands on his jeans.

He headed upstairs to change into his swim trunks. He didn't need them often, as he usually just shed whatever clothes he had on before getting in the water, but that wasn't an option today.

Shit, he suddenly straightened, realizing Shawn had probably already seen him naked. Martin had said Shawn had probably seen him that morning he'd come to visit. A flush crept over his skin as he glanced down, hoping his body wasn't too terrible. Compared to Shawn's creamy, muscular body, Casey felt rather scrawny.

Well, there was nothing he could do about it now if he had. And the man had come over to meet him, so obviously his lanky body didn't matter. Well, fuck, Casey chastised himself, of course it didn't matter, he has his fucking wife or girlfriend or whatever waiting for him. He had to stop looking at the man like a piece of meat, damn it. The guy was just lonely for someone else to talk to.

He quickly slipped into a pair of rather baggy swim trunks and a loose fitting t-shirt, figuring he could hide his rather dismal string-bean of a body behind the loose clothes. Slipping on his leather sandals, he grabbed a protein bar as he headed out the back door.

Stepping down the stairs to the back deck, he couldn't help but take one more glance back towards the road connecting them to the rest of civilization. It was quiet, no sign of any vehicles. Good.

Casey turned toward their neighbor's property, wondering if Shawn was even going to be out here today. He didn't see tall, dark, and handsome anywhere. Maybe he was with his wife. Shit, they could even have gone into town. He hadn't thought to pay attention to whether or not the jeep was missing.

Squinting through the mini-forest separating the two properties, he couldn't make out if a vehicle was there. He could barely see that the cottage was there, let alone something much smaller like the jeep.

Shrugging, he decided he might as well enjoy the fresh air while he could. Goodness knows Martin insisted on him staying inside except late at night now. Fortunately, Martin didn't know he'd slipped out a few times in the early morning too. But he was beginning to miss his daytime swims. They were a bit less stressful, as he didn't usually run into sharks or barracuda and such in the middle of the day. They tended to hunt in the early morning and late at night, so he'd had a couple of close encounters lately. Not that they usually bothered him, but one never knew either.

He munched on the protein bar as he trudged his way to the sandy part of the beach. Another glance told him he really was alone and Shawn Brockton was nowhere around. He kicked off his sandals and stepped into the tide, letting the warm water rush over his toes. He could feel the sand slipping and receding around his feet as the tide was pulled back out.

He loved that feeling, the fluidity of the ground, how the beach was constantly in flux. He stared down at his bare feet slowly becoming buried in the sand as it shifted under and around them with each flow of the tide. He wriggled his toes as the sand slid between them.

"Hey."

He jumped, nearly falling on his ass because his feet were mucked down in the sand. "Shit," he cursed, as a strong hand caught him by the arm to steady him.

"Sorry about that," Shawn apologized. "I didn't mean to scare you. Again."

Casey glanced up in embarrassment at the other man. They were nearly the same height, with Shawn maybe a couple inches taller. "You didn't," he said quickly, but Shawn's quirked eyebrow told him the man didn't believe him. "Well, you did, but it was my fault. I wasn't paying attention."

"I noticed," Shawn grinned, and Casey noticed that he stepped back slightly, graciously giving Casey some space.

And Casey was grateful for the slight distance because now he could take in the whole wonderful package Shawn presented. His face was clean shaven, like yesterday, as well as every time he'd gotten a glimpse of him before. Today, he had on a rather tight fitting white tank, allowing Casey to see those bicep muscles he'd ogled from the deck up close and personal. The swim trunks were smaller than Casey's, but not so small they kept Casey from imagining what might be...

"Is there something down there I should be aware of?" he joked, looking down at the sand around Casey's feet.

Casey's head shot up from his perusal of his neighbor. He could feel a flush creeping up his neck but managed to refocus on the conversation. Casey smiled at the teasing. "No, just watching the sand swirling around."

"Hmmm, sounds interesting," Shawn said seriously, and Casey started laughing a bit more.

"If you haven't noticed," Casey said, waving his arm around. "There isn't a whole lot to do around here."

"Very true," Shawn admitted. "After a while it does get rather boring sunning and swimming all day," he grinned.

Casey loved how that grin was focused on him. It seemed like it had been so long since someone had smiled at him and actually was happy he was there.

 

@@@@

 

Shawn caught the way that the sandy blond glanced away from him, after focusing on his mouth for a moment. Shawn grinned even wider. He shifted to bring Casey's attention back to him, then he pinned his gaze on Casey's. "So how long are you visiting for this time? Maybe we can--"

"Visiting?" Casey echoed.

Shawn caught the surprise in the other man's voice and frowned. "Yeah, your uncle said you come to visit sometimes."

"Oh, yeah, I, uh, just got here yesterday morning," Casey mumbled, not sure what lie to tell to keep up his uncle's appearances.

Okay, now Shawn knew the guy was lying, and it didn't make any sense. Why would he lie about how long he had been here? "But I just saw you on the deck the other afternoon."

Casey froze.

Damn, the guy was going to bolt, Shawn thought. "Hey, hey," he said softly, soothingly. "Look, I'm sorry, I just was confused--"

"No," Casey exhaled heavily as if he'd been holding his breath for hours. He looked really upset and worried, and Shawn was afraid that Casey would refuse to talk with him anymore. The smaller man dragged his hand through those soft looking honey locks, looking both torn and resigned.

"Can we...just sit for a minute?" Casey finally whispered.

"Yeah, yeah, of course." Shawn jumped at the chance to continue the conversation wherever Casey wanted to. He was just glad that the guy hadn't run back up the hillside and disappeared back inside the house.

Shawn took the initiative to quickly find a spot away from the tide that was relatively free of shells and rocks. He plopped down first, so he wouldn't appear to be looming over Casey. He looked up to see Casey hesitating, the guy was staring anxiously back up at his house biting his bottom lip between his teeth. It was such an adorable look if he hadn't looked so conflicted and worried about something.

Finally, the lean body slowly eased down near him, angled slightly in his direction. With a last glance at his house, Casey let out a long breath.

"The truth is... I live here. With my uncle," Casey finally admitted, as if it were some huge state secret and now the world might end because of it.

Shawn nodded. That made more sense, he just didn't know why Martin Jorss would lie about it, or why Casey would feel worried about telling him about it. It seemed like a weird secret to hide.

Casey picked up a small handful of sand, and almost unconsciously began sifting it through his fingers in a nervous gesture. Shawn remained silent, hoping that Casey might reveal more. He did.

"Uncle Martin and Uncle Thomas took me in when my parents died. But being a gay couple, they couldn't officially adopt me," he relayed the story that he'd been told as to why his last name was different from theirs. "So we basically have hidden out here, keeping to ourselves so no one bothers us."

Shawn was nodding understandingly. That made a little more sense. It still seemed a little extreme, but still, he could see how family could become super protective. Hell, his own had rallied around him to protect him from the media fallout of his alter ego's exposé.

 

@@@@

 

Casey couldn't believe he'd just revealed part of their secret to a virtual stranger. His uncles had always ingrained in him the need to keep himself hidden. Not only because of the obvious part, but because neither Martin nor Thomas had legal custody of him--because they were gay, or so they'd told him. So he'd given Shawn part of the truth. Maybe it would be enough to keep him from asking too much more.

"Don't you get lonely?" Shawn asked, but then he quickly realized how that might sound. "I mean, with no one to talk to but your uncle?"

"Sometimes, but--" he cut himself off as he'd been about to admit he found comfort in some of his ocean friends. "I find things to do," he finished softly.

"I know I'd get lonely if I was out here for years without anyone else around," Shawn mused.

"What about your wife?"

"Wife?" Shawn frowned.

Casey quickly amended. "Your girlfriend?"

"Wife? Girlfriend? I don't have--" Shawn started laughing. "Oh, shit, your uncle didn't tell you, did he?"

Casey's brows furrowed. "Tell me what?"

"That I'm gay," Shawn chuckled.

Casey's jaw hung open in shock, as he tried to comprehend what he'd seen of the lithe little woman and what Shawn was saying. "But-- but I saw--"

"Who? Jenny?" Shawn supplied through his fit of giggles. "She's just a friend of the family. My dad's assistant actually. She just helped arrange getting the cottage ready and made sure everything was fine.

"Oh," Casey managed to respond. Guess that's why he hadn't seen her around. Oh. He straightened as he suddenly realized that Shawn wasn't just the good looking guy next door. He was available, in the sense that Casey hadn't even thought possible. His breath hitched as he regarded Shawn's expressions more closely. Could the guy maybe, actually, be interested in him? Oh, shit, what if he was like Roshan?

Shawn looked at him closely as well. "Does that bother you? I assumed you wouldn't have a problem with it, having lived with two uncles who were the same. I actually thought you knew. That he'd told you."

"Oh, I don't... have any problems, of course. He just didn't--...well, he didn't tell me anything about your first visit."

"Really?" Shawn seemed surprised. "He certainly was vocal about me not coming back to visit. Thought maybe he'd told you all sorts of horrible things to make you run the other way if you ever saw me."

Casey chuckled. "Well, he did warn me to stay away from you."

"Maybe he thought I'd steal you away from here," Shawn smirked.

Casey's mouth dropped open at the implication that Shawn actually might be interested in him that way. Casey cast his eyes away to the ocean, regret clouding his vision as he realized it would never be possible. "Yeah, that would never happen," he muttered.

He heard Shawn shift slightly and looked back to see the slightly hurt expression on the man's face. "I'm sorry. I was just kidding. I didn't me to assume that you might also--"

"No!" Casey almost shouted as he realized what he'd said must have sounded like he would never be interested in Shawn, then looked away in embarrassment as he buried his face in his hands. As he slowly looked back up into the eyes of the man next to him, his fingers slid down to the silver collar. "It's not that I wouldn't want to... I do find you..." he cut himself off, floundering for the words. "What I mean is that, my uncle would never let me leave. He's...he's just really protective. He doesn't want anyone around me."

"But you're like eighteen, nineteen, right? He can't make you stay if you don't want to."

"I'm twenty, actually," he smiled. "And well, I guess... well, I don't know really." Casey chewed on his lip again. He'd never considered ever leaving this place. As much as he might long to explore farther, he knew he was safe here. It was his protected little world. "I don't know how I would feel about leaving..."

Shawn stared at him as if trying to figure out the truth in his words. "I'm not suggesting we run off and get married or anything," Shawn joked. "Just wondering if... you might like to hang out a bit?"

Casey chuckled. "I think I'd like that. I just...well, I think it's best if, you know, my uncle doesn't know. He doesn't really trust anyone."

"Yeah, I kinda got that. He's that protective, huh?"

Casey rolled his eyes, beginning to relax more and more in the casual, easy-going presence of his neighbor. "You have no idea."

"Hey, how about we go swimming? Cool off a bit," Shawn said abruptly, slapping his hand down on Casey's thigh, and Casey thought the heat from the man's hand was going to make his blood start to boil.

Shawn didn't wait for an answer, and Casey was glad because blood was heading south really fast as Shawn's hand slipped a bit further up his leg as he jumped to his feet. Casey watched Shawn reach back behind his head and pull the white tank over his head effortlessly, displaying all those fine muscles for him.

Shit, Casey gulped as Shawn turned and tossed his shirt on the sand, grabbed his goggles, and took off for the water. Those tanned broad shoulders looked even better up close, and the way they bunched and rippled as he jogged across the sand...Casey finally caught his breath long enough to realize he'd been staring so long that Shawn was already hip deep in the waves. It took Casey another minute to gather himself together enough to pull off his over-size tee and follow.

At least, in the water, he could hide his obvious interest in the man.

 

@@@@

 

Shawn didn't wait for Casey to follow him as he raced off for the crashing surf. The cute hesitation and uncertainty in the younger man's voice had him aching to gather the guy up and soothe away all that worry. But obviously that would just scare the shit out of him even more than his forward questioning already had. It was time to back off.

Shawn didn't want Casey to feel like he was being forced to do anything. If he followed, great, if not, then so be it. Casey was obviously nervous being around him, and Shawn didn't want to scare him off. He'd seen Casey starting to relax, and Casey could have left at any time, so hopefully Shawn hadn't pushed the guy too hard.

But damn, he wanted to know everything about this guy. For whatever reason he couldn't yet figure out, the younger man intrigued him like very few people did. Maybe it was his isolation or his innate shyness. Shawn had rarely associated with people like that, so often seeking like-minded company ready to hang out and have a good time that Casey's quiet nature shook his foundation.

In high school, Shawn was the typical guy that everyone seemed to know and like. He played at most sports, but he wasn't so good to really stand out. He'd been the funny guy, always ready to go out and have fun. Girls and guys alike had flocked to him. Even in college, he'd been the one everyone wanted to hang around, ask for help with class work, call to join in impromptu basketball or soccer games. It hadn't mattered to anyone then that he might be gay.

But Casey was like the shy, quiet guy Shawn often didn't notice hovering in the background, which made him wonder just how many nice guys he may have overlooked in his quest to be the cool guy.

As he turned briefly with the waves splashing up around his thighs, he noticed that Casey hadn't moved. He was just staring at him. Damn, maybe I really did scare him with too many questions. But then Casey rose, yanking off the ridiculously huge shirt he was wearing to reveal those lean abs that Shawn had seen a couple days ago when he'd managed to introduce himself.

He noted that Casey looked nervously over his shoulder back to his house, and he realized just how anxious about being caught by his uncle Casey was. He wondered just why Casey would be so nervous about that, and the thoughts that came to mind didn't settle well at all.

But then Casey's lean body was running toward him and all thoughts of the older man fled his mind. If it made Casey feel better to keep their friendship secret, he'd do everything he could to keep it that way. He watched as Casey grinned at him before diving into the shallow surf.

Shawn smiled as dove into the salty turquoise waters and stroked out past the breakers to where Casey was treading water waiting on him to catch up. Shawn laughed as Casey splashed him almost hesitantly, like he wanted to relax and play around, but wasn't sure if it was okay. When Shawn splashed back, Casey's nerves seemed to melt even more.

As they raced each other up and down the shoreline, Shawn was surprised that Casey wasn't more graceful considering how long he'd lived here. But damn could he hold his breath. While Shawn was coming up for air constantly, Casey seemed to stay under several minutes.

Shawn reveled in the few inadvertent brushes of skin when they'd bumped into each other when the waves would jostle them close to each other. An arm brushing against a hip. A calf sliding against a shin. A hand against a hip.

Yeah, Shawn sighed when they finally parted and he watched Casey's retreating form making its way up the slope, I think things are definitely looking up.

Copyright © 2017 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is a great story and I am really enjoying reading it but one thing has been bothering me for the last few chapters. Shawn has seen Casey a couple of times now with no shirt or anything except maybe shorts on his body and nothing has been mentioned about the shock collar that uncle meany makes Casey wear. How could he have missed it?

 

I know. If this small detail is all that there is to be worried about in life then it is a pretty good life, right? Sometimes, little details like this bug me. But, it is a great sotrya nd thank you for writing it.

Link to comment

Aaahhh... Young, budding love! So sweet. Casey really needs someone who cares about him without a hidden agenda. Someone with means to handle a total shit storm, when Casey's true identity is revealed. Because it has to be revealed. Otherwise, Martin will always have power over Casey.

Link to comment

So glad to see Casey getting to relax even a bit with someone who seems to like him in a good way. (Shawn, you better not prove to be a dick!) I hope that they can hide their budding relationship (whatever it may become) from Martin for awhile longer. Casey needs to get a renewed foundation of human caring under him before Martin finds out...

Link to comment
On 04/11/2015 10:29 PM, hillj69 said:
So glad to see Casey getting to relax even a bit with someone who seems to like him in a good way. (Shawn, you better not prove to be a dick!) I hope that they can hide their budding relationship (whatever it may become) from Martin for awhile longer. Casey needs to get a renewed foundation of human caring under him before Martin finds out...
hehe, yes, the next few chapters have Casey and Shawn getting to know each other, so I hope you enjoy them!
Link to comment
On 04/11/2015 03:00 AM, Puppilull said:
Aaahhh... Young, budding love! So sweet. Casey really needs someone who cares about him without a hidden agenda. Someone with means to handle a total shit storm, when Casey's true identity is revealed. Because it has to be revealed. Otherwise, Martin will always have power over Casey.
Oh, yeah, it will definitely be revealed... :)
Link to comment
On 04/11/2015 02:20 AM, JimP said:
This is a great story and I am really enjoying reading it but one thing has been bothering me for the last few chapters. Shawn has seen Casey a couple of times now with no shirt or anything except maybe shorts on his body and nothing has been mentioned about the shock collar that uncle meany makes Casey wear. How could he have missed it?

 

I know. If this small detail is all that there is to be worried about in life then it is a pretty good life, right? Sometimes, little details like this bug me. But, it is a great sotrya nd thank you for writing it.

I'm so glad you are enjoying the story. And you definitely have a point about the collar. He did notice it at the beginning of chapter 10 when they first really met face to face, but didn't say anything about it. I kinda figured that Shawn wouldn't say much right away about it since he doesn't want to scare Casey off, but I do probably need to reiterate that. I'll add it in to chapter 12. And he does eventually ask about it, just a little farther into their relationship.

Thanks so much for mentioning it, it helps so much when readers note something that seems off or that they'd like more detail with. In fact, it was notes like these that made me expand Tears of the Neko by nearly double, so feel free to let me know!

:)

Link to comment

I am enjoying this story. I just hope that Shawn is a good person, Casey deserves nothing less.

 

Good chapter:2thumbs::thankyou:

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..