Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 2,793 Words
  • 3,243 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beneath the Current - 30. Chapter 30

And... for a little more drama...:)

Chapter 30

 

Footsteps thundering down the stairs startled Martin from his focus on the computer. He'd been busy determining what would be the best way to present Casey to the world, making sure representatives of the various scientific awards couldn't miss it.

"Casey?" he called, but he didn't really expect an answer considering how the boy had been ignoring him the last couple days hiding in his room.

Martin heard the deck door slam open and he was surprised that Casey would choose to go to the beach out the back when he knew Martin told him to use the southern side to keep out of sight. He shoved back from his desk and headed out to reprimand the boy. Damn kid was determined to ruin his plans. If that Shawn guy discovered Casey's secret, he'd be the one reaping the rewards of outing Casey to the media instead.

But when he got to the railing of the deck, Casey was already almost to the beach. "Casey!" he yelled, trying to get the boy to come back, but obviously Casey didn't hear him. The boy seemed ultra focused on getting to the water. Martin didn't understand why the stupid boy would risk exposure like that, and he gripped the railing in fury.

"Idiot!" He slammed his fist down as he watched Casey shift almost immediately after diving in the waters.

But then his eyes trailed further out, and he suddenly realized just where Casey was heading. Their idiot of a neighbor was floundering in the water, and his soft-hearted nephew must have seen him out the window.

"Goddamnit!" Martin cursed, running a hand anxiously through his hair. He watched in growing agitation as Casey allowed the man to hang onto his back while Casey dragged them both to shore. No way would the man not see Casey's tail. Martin furiously thought about how he could play it off.

The guy was sure to come pounding on their door for answers once he recovered from his near death experience. Martin just prayed that Casey was smart enough to drop him on the shore and leave before the man had time to realize what he'd seen. Martin figured he'd just have to play off the man's questions as ridiculous--a merman? Really? You were drowning and my nephew saved you, that's all. Be grateful.

"What the--" Martin sucked in a sharp breath when he saw their dark-haired neighbor catch Casey before he could run off and pin him down.

Then the man leaned down and...did he just fucking kiss Casey? What the hell was going on? Martin's eyes narrowed as he studied the two men and realized just how familiar with each other they were.

"Fuck!" Martin fumed, his mind racing on what the hell had just happened. Casey, his sweet nephew, had been lying to him all this time! He had to have been seeing the guy for a while now. Cursing under his breath, he slowly began to realize why Casey had seemed so much more defiant lately. That's why he'd been asking to have the collar removed and wanting more freedom...he was planning on leaving Martin to go with that ... that Shawn guy!

He had vaguely watched them talking on the beach still caught up in his own whirlwind of thoughts on exactly how he was going to salvage this mess. When they stood up and Casey followed the man toward the cottage, Martin's jaw clenched so tightly his teeth ached.

He'd be damned if he'd lose everything now. Casey would be home soon, and Martin needed to be ready when he did. He cursed again before sucking in a deep breath, knowing he had to really focus now. There wasn't any time left to plan. He needed to act. Now.

 

@@@@

 

"You're not going back there," Shawn stated.

They had been quiet as they trudged back up to the cottage, but Shawn finally voiced what had been running through his head the whole time. He was adamant that Casey wasn't spending another night under Martin Jorss's roof.

"I know," Casey said softly, surprising Shawn with how easily he had conceded. "I don't want to either. Now that you know, I don't have to hide away there anymore."

They reached the top of the hill, and Shawn pulled Casey gently into his arms. He felt Casey lean into him, seeking comfort and reassurance. Both of them were shaking a little, and Shawn doubted it was because they were cold. Shawn thought it might be a while before Casey really understood that Shawn would be there for him.

Instead of heading into the house, Shawn turned to the small storage room. Casey watched him rummage around in it a bit before Shawn pulled out a tool box. Casey unconsciously reached for the chain at his throat.

"You're really going to try to take it off?" he asked incredulously.

"Hell, yeah. Come on." Shawn led the way into the house and plopped the tool box on the small kitchen table.

Casey turned to the fridge to grab them both a bottle of water. "Here, drink. All that saltwater you swallowed will make you sick and dehydrated."

Shawn conceded the fact that he was thirsty, even though he was anxious to get the thing off his lover's neck. They both downed a full bottle of water before he gestured for Casey to sit down. As he flipped open the box, he pilfered through the tools looking for one he could use. "Aha!"

He held up a set of wire cutters. The cutters appeared to be pretty sturdy, heavy enough to cut through at least 14 gauge wire. Shawn just hoped it was strong enough to cut the damn collar chain.

When Shawn reached for the chain, Casey leaned back hesitantly. "What if Uncle Martin doesn't--"

Shawn's eyes darkened. "Who the fuck cares if he doesn't like it? It's not his neck in this thing. It's yours."

Casey chuckled softly at Shawn's vigorous response. "Yeah, I know. It just... It'll seem so weird without it after all this time."

"You'll be free, Case, to do whatever you want. To swim where ever you desire," Shawn said softly.

Casey nodded silently, and Shawn could see that the thought of being truly free to go where ever he wanted was both terrifying and exciting at the same time. Casey closed his eyes as Shawn lifted the chain and placed it between the sharp blades of the cutters. The chain pulled against the back of Casey's neck as Shawn pulled it as far away from his throat as possible.

Shawn grunted as he squeezed the handles, having to use two hands to manage it. The chain was tougher than he'd thought. As the cutters bit through the chain, they both jumped at a small spark that arced across the metal pieces.

"Shit!" Shawn cursed, nearly dropping the tool. He shook his hand as if it had actually been shocked, even though the rubber handles protected him. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," Casey breathed. "Just get it off."

Shawn snapped the cutters closed with as much force as possible and the chain suddenly gave way under the pressure of the cutters, slithering from Casey's neck to the floor.

They both stared at it like it was going to bite them at any moment. Then Shawn grinned down at Casey, who lifted his hand to his bare throat. A slow smile spread across his lover's lips.

 

@@@@

 

"It's... it's weird." Casey swallowed, reveling in the missing weight choking at his throat. He leaned down and picked up the chain gingerly, dropping it on the table like a snake that might bite him. "Funny, I almost expected it to shock me again."

Shawn grimaced at that image. "Well, thank god it didn't."

Shawn turned to grab another bottle of water, and Casey realized suddenly the man's hand was shaking. Casey jumped up, wrapping his arms around Shawn from behind, pulling Shawn's arms against his chest and holding tight. The man was shaking uncontrollably.

"Shawn? Man, are you okay?" Casey asked softly.

"I don't..." Shawn's voice sounded raw and hoarse.

Fuck, maybe he was crashing or something, Casey thought. All the adrenaline from almost drowning and the intense emotions on the beach left even Casey a little shaken up. But Shawn was probably crashing hard now that his body and mind knew they were safe.

"Couch. Now," Casey ordered.

Shawn stumbled as Casey helped him to the living room. He practically fell onto the couch, and Casey ran back to the kitchen for a juice.

"Here." He helped Shawn sip at the juice figuring the calories would help level out his system somehow. When Shawn finished drinking a few sips and dropped back to the couch, Casey pulled a blanket over his boyfriend's shaking body. He dropped to his knees next to the couch, his hand resting on Shawn's chest, feeling the steady thud of his heart beat.

It seemed to be slowing down, and Shawn's shaking was lessening as well, but he looked exhausted. Casey cupped the man's strong jaw, causing Shawn to turn his head. Casey noticed that those blue eyes were nearly drowned out by the blown pupils--and this time it wasn't caused by lust. At least, he was pretty sure it wasn't.

Casey leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on the chapped lips. "Feeling better?"

Drawing a deep breath, Shawn nodded, closing his eyes. "Yeah, yeah, I am. I just felt a bit shaky there for a minute." He yawned widely, and Casey chuckled at him.

"I think you need to rest a bit. Get some sleep." Casey shifted to stand up, but Shawn obviously sensed his movements.

Shawn's eyes fluttered open and his arm reached out to grab Casey's wrist. "Wait, where are you going?"

Casey smiled softly, leaning over to kiss Shawn's forehead. "I'll be here when you wake up. I promise."

Shawn seemed appeased by that answer and allowed himself to close his eyes again with a soft sigh. "Good. Thought you were leaving me."

Casey squeezed the hand Shawn had gripped him with in reassurance before tucking it under the blanket, and patting Shawn's shoulder. He was sure the man was practically asleep already. "I'm just going to run back to the house and grab some of my things before my uncle gets back from the clinic." Shawn only grunted a reply, causing Casey to laugh. "Love you."

Leaving Shawn sleeping peacefully on the couch, the juice within reach on the coffee table, Casey headed to the door. With a deep breath, he steeled himself to take the step that he never thought he'd being doing--moving out of his uncle's house.

Shawn's cottage was more than enough for them, until they decided future plans. With Shawn, he now felt like he could do anything. Shawn would be there to help maintain his secret. They just needed to be sure he was 'hidden' from public view on full moon nights. That was doable, wasn't it?

They could live together normally, couldn't they? They just needed a little seclusion occasionally. Shawn would help him, keep an eye on him when he had to shift. Maybe they'd even just stay here, at the cottage. But Casey suspected Shawn might need more social interaction than could be offered here, that he may want to be where he could hang out with his friends too. But there was time. Time to figure out what they wanted to do. Together.

That word brought a smile to Casey's lips. Now they could be truly together without the great dark void of Casey's secret looming over their happiness. Casey's heart felt lighter than ever as he opened the door, determined to grab some of his clothes and stuff before his uncle returned from his daily trip to the clinic.

Without his shoes, the rocky, sandy path through the mini forest cut at his feet slightly. He concentrated on picking the best path that would hurt his feet the least. Therefore, when he looked up as he reached the edge of the path, he was shocked to see the hulking form of his uncle's green SUV parked in front of the house.

"Oh, crap," he muttered, his throat suddenly dry and tight.

Casey realized that he wasn't certain his uncle had actually left this morning, or yesterday for that matter. He'd been so buried in his own hurt and anger he hadn't done much except sit in his room and wallow in the shreds left of his heart. He tried desperately now to remember if he heard Martin call up to him or the tires of the car, but nothing came to him.

He was fairly certain Martin had gone in yesterday, since Shawn's banging on the doors probably would have resulted in a confrontation between the two men in his life. But maybe not today.

Just his fucking luck.

For a moment, Casey debated turning around and just going back to Shawn's side and curling in against him on the couch. That sounded much more appealing than going into his own home and possibly having to face an irate uncle.

But it was technically his home too, and he had a right to go in and get his stuff. With a hand at his throat, Casey reminded himself that Martin couldn't confine him like that anymore. He was free to do what he wanted. Drawing in a deep breath of courage, he stepped up the back deck, surprised to find it locked.

Frowning, he trudged around to the front door. It was surprisingly not locked. As he closed the heavy door behind him, Casey's eyes darted around for sounds of his uncle's presence. Stepping forward, though, he almost tripped over one of Uncle Martin's suitcases in the foyer. He frowned down at it, then noted a stack of documents on the credenza next to Martin's keys.

Casey curiously picked one up. A passport? He flipped it open. Shocked. For him? He hadn't known Martin had ever considered getting him a passport. When had Martin thought about taking Casey off the island?

Better question: why were they sitting out here now?

He wasn't sure he really wanted to know. Maybe it was just better to sneak on up the stairs and hope his uncle was drunk again or something. He padded softly across the hardwood floor on his bare feet and was halfway up the steps when he heard it.

"Casey!"

Damn it, he growled.

"Come in here, please. We have things to discuss."

Gripping the railing in frustration, Casey finally huffed an, "I'm coming."

Maybe if he got through his uncle's 'discussion' quickly he'd still be back to Shawn before he woke up.

He pushed open the door to his uncle's dark study/lab. It wasn't his favorite place as it seemed to spur odd nightmares and such, but it wasn't like some scary old lab in a monster movie either.

"Casey." Martin's voice came from right next to him, startling him, and he felt Martin's hand grab his bicep to steady him.

"I'm here," Casey stated, starting to pull away from the grasp. "What did you-- Hey! What was that?"

He jerked under the prick of the needle injecting something into his arm.

"Oh, don't worry, my boy," Martin said patting the sore spot and causing it to sting. "Just a little something to make you feel better. Why don't you go sit on the table?"

"Thought we weren't doing tests tonight," Casey stated, as his vision shifted in front of him. "Thought we were just talking. We can do that in t-t-the ch-chairs, ri-iight?"

Damn, he felt a little out of it. Maybe the adrenaline crash was suddenly hitting him, like it did Shawn.

"Nope, the table is best. You're looking like you might want to lie down."

Casey shook his head, which only made it feel like it was going to wobble off. "No, I d-don't want to g-get on the t-table. I...I don't w-want a...ny t...ests."

He tried to move back, but his knees were buckling under him, and he couldn't understand why his muscles wouldn't obey him. Something didn't seem right. But he'd been fine when he came over.... Oh...shit...

Martin. His uncle had done this to him.

He watched the man who'd help him learn to read, to learn how to pilot a boat, who had helped, along with Thomas, to teach him all about the sea that was his second home. He watched that man stalking towards him without the glaze of family tainting his vision.

He really wasn't sure who this man was.

Copyright © 2017 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

At least that (insert nasty word) collar was done away with. Casey had a vision of a bright future together with Shawn, finally free. It was a beautiful vision. The last part of the chapter was like watching a horrible accident unfolding before our eyes, unable to do anything about it. Martin is about to implement his dreadful plan. Shawn is asleep and Casey is drugged. To quote Oliver Hardy, "This is another fine mess you've gotten us into."

 

Now get us out. Pretty please? :)

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Wow!!!!
A "little more drama" eh? Mission accomplished Craftingmom!
I guess it was too much to hope that Martin's plan was not going to be so easily thwarted. Drugging Casey? He really is beyond despicable and unredeemable.
I don't know how this will get resolved for Casey and Shawn to be reunited permanently, but I am looking forward to the resolution of Martin' machinations.

Link to comment

You're killing me! I get really excited when I see new updates cause the last cliff hanger you gave will be resolved... And then you leave me with another cliffhanger!
But seriously, loving this story! Can't wait to see what happens next! Thank goodness you post your updates quite quickly!
I just hope Shawn wakes up and realizes something is up and can get to Casey before Martin does something they can't recover from. I'm seriously wondering how Thomas ended up with someone like Martin!
well here's to hoping Shawn can save the day!

Link to comment

Oh no! And Shawn is down for the count. But Martin shouldn't be able to get Casey on a plane unconscious. There is still time to get away. I just hope history isn't repeating itself with Shawn...

Link to comment

Well,.....That happened, and it was more than a little drama. Martin can't be allowed to get away with this, so how will he be stopped..

Link to comment
On 06/18/2015 12:21 PM, drpaladin said:

At least that (insert nasty word) collar was done away with. Casey had a vision of a bright future together with Shawn, finally free. It was a beautiful vision. The last part of the chapter was like watching a horrible accident unfolding before our eyes, unable to do anything about it. Martin is about to implement his dreadful plan. Shawn is asleep and Casey is drugged. To quote Oliver Hardy, "This is another fine mess you've gotten us into."

 

Now get us out. Pretty please? :)

Hehe, all in good time...:)

Link to comment
On 06/18/2015 12:23 PM, Reader1810 said:

Wow!!!!

A "little more drama" eh? Mission accomplished Craftingmom!

I guess it was too much to hope that Martin's plan was not going to be so easily thwarted. Drugging Casey? He really is beyond despicable and unredeemable.

I don't know how this will get resolved for Casey and Shawn to be reunited permanently, but I am looking forward to the resolution of Martin' machinations.

hehe... You know Martin wasn't going to give up so easily. :)

Link to comment
On 06/18/2015 12:54 PM, WriterJT said:

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!! Just when things were looking up,

Hehe :) It couldn't be that easy.

Link to comment
On 06/18/2015 12:56 PM, Kjamieson said:

You're killing me! I get really excited when I see new updates cause the last cliff hanger you gave will be resolved... And then you leave me with another cliffhanger!

But seriously, loving this story! Can't wait to see what happens next! Thank goodness you post your updates quite quickly!

I just hope Shawn wakes up and realizes something is up and can get to Casey before Martin does something they can't recover from. I'm seriously wondering how Thomas ended up with someone like Martin!

well here's to hoping Shawn can save the day!

:) That's pretty much why I try to update quickly since I hate cliffhangers too. This is actually the first story I posted that wasn't completely finished before I started posting. I think it helped keep me motivated to get it done, knowing you all were waiting for more. So thank you! So glad you are enjoying it!

Link to comment
On 06/18/2015 09:09 PM, Puppilull said:

Oh no! And Shawn is down for the count. But Martin shouldn't be able to get Casey on a plane unconscious. There is still time to get away. I just hope history isn't repeating itself with Shawn...

Yes, Martin does still have a little bit of planning left. He's just ensured that Casey can't go anywhere while he finishes up. Next chapter coming up soon! :)

Link to comment
On 06/18/2015 10:22 PM, flamingo136 said:

"Oh, Shit"..............................:) Mike

Very succinctly put. :D

Link to comment
On 06/18/2015 10:33 PM, Defiance19 said:

Well,.....That happened, and it was more than a little drama. Martin can't be allowed to get away with this, so how will he be stopped..

Oookaaay, a LOT more drama :) hehe

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..