Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 3,513 Words
  • 4,858 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Falling Apart - 29. Chapter 29

Chapter 29

 

Why the hell was my former master's sharpshooter here, requesting a private audience with my Ash? And why was Liam, Ash's steward and friend, allowing it?

Gerard's lips twitched with wry amusement as he realized that I was aware of who he was. We both instinctively glanced back at Ash, who was sharing an odd look with Liam, before locking eyes with each other again.

As the man's assessing stare narrowed on me, I knew he was plotting something... something I wasn't going to allow to happen. I was instantly in front of Ash, my back pressing against his chest. "No. Don't listen to him," I told Ash even as I keenly watched the sharpshooter.

"Gerard. It seems as if your presence is rather disturbing to my companion," Ash said placidly from behind me. How the hell could he be so damn calm? I couldn't help watching every twitch Gerard made, wondering what he was up to.

Strangely, the sharpshooter started laughing.

Liam and Ash tensed, again sharing that strange look. I was sure now that Gerard was here to hurt, maybe even kill, Ashton or Rowland. There didn't seem to be any other explanation. Ash gently tried to move me to the side, but I refused to budge.

"No, don't trust him. He's worked for Lord Barrett," I blurted out, causing Gerard to laugh even harder. I had no idea what he found so amusing, but I wasn't taking my eyes off of him for a second.

At a subtle nod from Ash, Liam was instantly behind the man. I gaped at the dagger he had leveled at Gerard. Where the hell had he gotten that?

And for the first time, I noticed another person poised in the doorway, a rifle aimed through the opening at Gerard. Had Liam already known about Gerard? Known how dangerous the man could be? Why had he let the man this close to Ash?

"Don't worry, Kye, we have no intention on trusting him." Ash leaned in with a small chuckle. "Although, we had intended to see what he was planning with his little charade. I had hoped he might lead us to Barrett sooner or later."

I whipped around with wide eyes. What? He'd known who Gerard was? And he'd expected—

Oh. I abruptly realized what he'd just said and flushed guiltily. I'd ruined their plans. Fucking hell. "I-I'm sorry."

"No, don't be," Ash whispered as I backed away, wishing I could melt into the bookcase. "You didn't know."

"Maybe you should keep your hands away from your coat," Liam warned the interloper with a grin, as he carefully relieved Gerard of his hidden weapons.

"Yes, yes," Gerard agreed on hitched breaths as he held his arms out to the side, surrendering calmly. I frowned. Why was he laughing after getting caught? It made me even more nervous seeing him so self-assured. He finally stopped laughing, still staring at me in amusement. "So Barrett's little amistrato truly is here. I wasn't sure I believed it." His gaze lifted to Ashton over my shoulder. "And at the viscount's side it would seem."

I flushed at his use of the derisive term Barrett used to call me, his perverse twist on amorato, my gut coiling at the images it brought. I hated that Ash might see me that way.

"Kye is no one's trained pet," Ash spat back at the man.

"Oh, I can believe it," Gerard agreed, still holding his arms to the side, resignation slipping over his features. He cocked his head at me, as if he were trying to figure something out. "Have you no loyalty to your master, boy? To the man who housed and fed you for so many years?"

I saw Ashton flinch, surging forward a step as if he were going to lunge at the man. I edged my shoulder in front of him to stop him though. I didn't know if Gerard was trying to goad Ash into a fight, but I didn't want him anywhere near Barrett's sharpshooter.

"I've paid him enough in blood. I owe him nothing else," I found myself saying, shocking everyone, including myself.

Rowland's eyes were wide, awe and pride radiating from them. Liam laughed, a huge grin on his face. I could only imagine Ash's mirrored them. Gerard's brow lifted in amusement at my boldness.

"And where does your loyalty lie? With Barrett? Huxton?" Ash demanded when he recovered from his shock.

Gerard chuckled. "My loyalty is to the coin, and who has the most. The marquis and his... friends have been rather generous lately."

"I think perhaps your fortune has run out," Ash stated.

"Yes, yes, it seems it has," Gerard agreed with a resigned sigh. "This little one has been causing all kinds of trouble for Lord Barrett."

"What the enferni is going on?" Rowland demanded from just inside the doorway as he took in Liam's blade leveled at the stranger. The room slowly filled with more men ready to defend their lords against this intruder.

"I was just getting to that," Ash said.

Gerard turned slowly, taking in the formidable line of men barring any chance he had of escaping as the count stalked into the room.

"It seems we have a visitor from Barrett," Ash continued. "I suspect he was sent here to dispatch you or me. Or maybe both." He cocked his head at Gerard.

The sharpshooter's crooked grin indicated Ash was right. Gerard abruptly flopped down on an adjacent couch; several men surrounding him jerked in surprise. I was shocked Gerard didn't end up with a bullet in him, but the man just lounged back like he was a respected guest.

Rowland narrowed his eyes at the man for his audacity, and Ash crossed his arms over his chest as he stared down at him. They shared confused frowns.

"What?" Gerard lifted his hands from where he'd spread them along the back of the couch, his tone light and chiding as if he hadn't just been caught attempting to assassinate a viscount. "Isn't this where you interrogate me? I might as well get comfortable."

Liam's blade appeared next to the man's neck. "I don't believe there's going to be much comfort in your future, traitor."

"Rightly so," Gerard agreed. His calmness in accepting his fate surprised me. "But I haven't actually done anything, now have I? You just have your suspicions. All I did was come looking for work," he paused, piercing me with his amused smile, "when someone indicated I might not be trustworthy."

Guilt swamped me again. It was my fault. I'd ruined Ash and Liam's plans. I—

A firm hand gripped the back of my neck, stopping the tide of self-flagellation I'd already started. "Stop. I can see what's going on behind those beautiful pale eyes of yours. You did nothing wrong," Ash softly reiterated his statement from before, but it still didn't feel like it.

Liam nodded at me from where he was still hovering over Gerard. "You were protecting Ashton. I would never fault you for that. And this bastard did have two blades on him."

"For my own protection," Gerard piped up.

My gaze flicked up, wondering if it was true—that they really weren't angry I'd upset their plans to let Gerard implicate himself, and maybe use him to find Barrett. Ash was nodding, but then I realized so were the other men in the room.

"My brother needs all the eyes on his back he can get, anjel," Rowland added ruefully. "He tends to be a bit brash sometimes."

Ash glared at his brother as Liam snorted, attempting to hold back outright laughter.

"Well, I hope that little scrawny slip of a boy isn't your best protection," Gerard added, bringing everyone's gaze back to himself. I was beginning to suspect he enjoyed being the center of attention.

"He would have stopped you," Liam shot back.

Gerard's jaw tightened briefly before he smiled again. "If I had been planning anything."

"I'll have you know, that slip of a boy, as you put it, has managed to sabotage all of your Lord Barrett's plans thus far," Ash stated calmly.

My eyes widened, darting from Ash to Liam to Rowland... none of whom were looking at me, but all of them were nodding their agreement. What the hell was he talking about? I hadn't—

Had I?

"And we all know you aren't here just looking for a job. You were sent here by Barrett, probably to kill me or my brother—"

Gerard opened his mouth to protest, but Ash held up his hand to stop him.

"But we all know you will deny it. And while I can banish you from this estate just because I don't like you, I can't have you sent to the magistrate on my suspicions—as strong as they might be."

Gerard pursed his lips, cocking his head thoughtfully.

"But I can have you followed," Ash added with a sly smile, and Gerard's eyes narrowed.

"Why would you waste a man's time like that?" Gerard sneered. "You think I can't elude some weedy little clodpole that you—"

"What makes you think it'll just be one man?" Ash challenged.

I nearly burst out laughing at the stunned look on Gerard's face.

"Right now the Lord Chancellor or his steward is on his way here—"

Gerard nearly choked at the idea of being faced with the Regent's minister. All color drained from his face. "But I haven't—"

Ash continued as if he hadn't been interrupted. "We already have evidence to implicate Barrett in several crimes. It might benefit your position to cooperate with us. I'm sure having worked at Barrett's estate, the Chancellor will have many questions for you."

Gerard visibly swallowed.

"So why don't we just assume for a moment that Barrett did send you here, what did he hope to accomplish?"

I could see Gerard's jaw grinding as he considered Ash's words, debating whether to cooperate. Apparently, he decided the marquis wasn't worth his silence. "If Lord Barrett were to send someone here, he might be hoping something... fatal might befall you or the count."

Ash nodded, accepting the man's evasive answer. I knew Gerard would never admit to any wrongdoing at this point, but he obviously knew it was in his best interest to cooperate with the Sterling brothers, and eventually, the Regent's minister. The man wasn't loyal to Barrett or anyone else. He was devoted solely to himself.

"Anything else he might have hoped to gain?"

"He might also be looking for information."

Ash cocked his head. "Information? What kind of information?"

Gerard shrugged as if he didn't know the answer to that. "Well, it seems that the marquis's steward has not returned from, ah, his recent trip near here to retrieve some, ah, missing property—"

"That's because I put a bullet in him," Liam taunted.

I was surprised that Gerard managed to school his features so well.

"And his viperous spy 'Lee' has also been taken care of," Ash added. "Barrett can thank Kye for that too."

Gerard could barely contain his surprise this time. He stared at me for several long seconds before he broke out into a hearty laugh again. "Damn, maybe I underestimated the boy."

"I think Barrett has too," Rowland put in with a wink in my direction.

I was sure my mouth was hanging open. I hadn't realized they'd thought that.

"Where is Barrett?" Ash demanded. This was perhaps the most important question. As long as Barrett was still out there, he was a danger to the Sterling brothers and to the regency. I thought maybe Barrett was more of a threat than Huxton at this point. Their plans were falling apart, their treasonous actions exposed. I knew my old master wouldn't take losing well. He'd strike at Ash and Rowland anyway he could.

Maybe sending Gerard was that plan.

"Now that I can't tell ya for certain," Gerard drawled. "He's been roving a bit."

I saw Ash's fist clench as he flicked a frustrated glance at Liam and Rowland. "Where did you last see him?"

"I've been staying on his old estate. Several of us bedded down there, as we have nowhere else to go right now, although resources are going to get rather slim before winter if the master doesn't return—"

"He went to the estate?" Liam huffed, interrupting Gerard's rambling. "That's not possible. We have people there—"

"No, no. He sent a boy to fetch me. Met him in Ligneux. It's a day's ride away—"

"I know where it is." Ash's snappish tone told how irritated he was. I wondered if Gerard had been followed by one of Ash's men. If he had, they obviously hadn't seen Barrett when they did.

"And what did you discuss when you met with him?" Ash prodded.

Gerard, however, just smiled, not falling into Ash's deliberate attempt to get him to admit any fault. "Well, you know how men are. We drank a lot. I can't rightly remember much of the conversation."

"I see."

Ash's lips thinned as he took in the man sprawled on the couch. I could tell he detested the man. I hated seeing him so comfortable here in Ash's study. It was obvious everyone in the room knew Gerard had been sent here by Barrett to destroy the Sterling brothers, but there was nothing—justifiably anyway—that they could do about it.

"Come on, Kye," Ash said abruptly, his hand on the back of my shoulders as he turned to guide me toward the door. "I think I need some air."

"Well, it's certainly obvious where the boy's loyalty lies now," Gerard said lazily.

I frowned at him, hating his smug attitude, and his audacity to taunt Ash here in his own study. I should have kept control of my mouth—it had never been a problem before—however, being here with Ash and his family had changed that.

And I found myself muttering over my shoulder, "Yours was firmly with Lord Barrett when you shot Lord Rowland's horse for him."

"What?" Rowland snapped. Ash's fingers tightened briefly, and the room fell silent as we stopped.

The easy grin dropped from Gerard's face, a low growl rumbling from him as he narrowed his gaze on me. "You don't know what you're talking about, boy."

"Yes, I do. I heard you and Mas—" I broke off as I realized how my own voice was the only thing filling the sudden quiet of the room. The abrupt stillness around me had me worried. I wasn't sure what exactly was going on, why everyone was staring at Gerard and me so intensely now. They already knew he'd been working for Barrett.

Ash's hand slowly dropped from my back as he crossed his arms and stalked toward Gerard. "So, it appears you may already have perpetrated a crime against my family."

Gerard's face darkened as he continued to glare at me. Liam looked inordinately pleased, but Rowland's face looked thunderous.

"I loved that horse, you bastard," Rowland said through gritted teeth.

"It looks like you are not as innocent as you claim."

"Fucking whore," Gerard snarled, his eyes dark, hands clenching into fists.

I jumped—so did half the room—when Ash lunged at Gerard. He had Gerard by the throat and was choking off the man's air before anyone even realized what was happening.

"Don't you ever call him that again," Ash threatened.

Gerard flailed, gasping for breath. The man only managed to nod, apparently too surprised to form words. I gaped at Ash, shocked at how enraged he was. At Gerard's acquiescence, Ash shoved him back, a look of disgust on his face.

"Lock him in a storage room until the Lord Chancellor gets here," Ash snapped.

"At this rate, we're going to run out of storage rooms," Liam quipped.

"It was just a horse—" Gerard's voice rose slightly.

"My horse," Rowland growled.

"—and I was ordered to—"

Ash turned back to me, his firm hand guiding me from the room as he scoffed, "That seems to be everyone's excuse today."

 

****

 

After escaping the tension in the room, we walked for over an hour. Most of it was in silence, and I sensed Ash's frustration. We ended up on a rocky outcropping, over-looking wheat fields, their golden stalks swaying lightly in the breeze.

Ash just stood there, staring over the land without really seeing any of it. His shoulders were drawn up tight, his stubbled jaw clenched. I could tell he was still pondering what more he could do. As much as they had gained today, with Lady DeLyle's papers and Charlie's confession, I know Ash was still worried something could go wrong—that somehow Huxton and Barrett would succeed or at least damage the Regent's authority.

I didn't know what would happen. I hoped the Lord Chancellor would solve everything when he arrived. I hoped Huxton and Barrett would be arrested and put away forever. I hoped nothing ever caused Ash pain ever again. I hated the worry in his eyes. I wanted to make it all go away.

I slipped my hand in his.

His faraway trance broke, and he glanced down at me.

"It's beautiful here," I blurted out, not knowing what else to say, only that I wanted to take his mind off whatever thoughts were causing that haunted look in his eyes.

He swept his gaze over the rolling landscape as if he hadn't seen it yet, even though we'd been standing there for several minutes. "Yes, it is, isn't it."

"Can we sit?"

"Of course." Ash dropped down, and I followed. We both sat with our arms draped over our knees. "We should have grabbed some food. This would be a great place for lunch."

I laughed. "I think you were a little distracted when we left."

He heaved a sigh. "Yeah, I guess I was."

He dropped back into his contemplative silence, staring down at the rock at his feet. I shifted, gazing at the fluffy white clouds drifting by.

"That one looks like a pig."

"What?" Ash jerked his head at me.

I lifted my chin at the sky before pointing. "That cloud. Looks like a pig." As the wind shifted, so did my cloud animal. "Well, it did."

I dropped back on my elbows, stretching my legs out in front of me, as Ash stared at me a moment before bursting into laughter.

"What?" I feigned indignity at his amusement at my creative view of the cloud's structure.

His eyes crinkled at the corners with laugh line. "A pig, huh?"

"Yes, a pig."

I dropped all the way back now, my hand cradling my head as I stared up at the bright blue sky. "And that one's a fish."

I noticed that Ash glanced up at the clouds where I'd briefly pointed before he rolled to his hip, stretching out along side me. "You do that often? See animals in the clouds?"

I closed my eyes, fighting back the memories flooding back of days spent with my brother doing just that. And how little I'd been able to enjoy it in the last four years.

"I used to. With Tareth," I finally admitted. "We used to sneak away for an hour every so often. Went swimming, laid on the grass... staring up at—" My breath caught in my throat at the ache of what I'd lost when I'd been contracted to Barrett. I swallowed back the pain, forcing a smile. "I'm not surprised he works with horses, works outdoors. He always loved it."

"And you too."

I flinched when Ash's hand landed softly on my stomach. "What?"

"You love the outdoors too."

I could only nod. I'd missed it so much locked in Barrett's mansion. A few times I'd tried laying out on the balcony trying to pick out images from the clouds, but it hadn't been the same. The hard marble wasn't the same as the soft grass, and the balcony rails around me seemed to cage me in.

"The world is yours now, Kye," Ash said, leaning over and brushing a soft kiss against my lips. When he drew back slightly, I lifted, not wanting him to stop. I felt his lips smile against mine before he deepened the kiss. His tongue swept against mine, swallowing my moan.

His body relaxed against my side, as we spent several languorous minutes lost in our own world. He slowly licked at my lips, kissing down my chin to my throat, before easing himself onto his back and staring up at the sky.

"That one is... a horse?"

I laughed, mostly because it didn't look like a horse at all, but also because I was so breathless with need for the man I couldn't manage to speak. He'd snatched me from Barrett's deadly hands and pieced my fractured soul back together. The world wasn't mine.

It was ours.

Copyright © 2016 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 52
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Kye saves the day inadvertently after almost blundering it. I like his save better than risking injuries against Gerardo knives. Well, the Sterlings have another chess piece on the board. Hopefully they have enough now to quell the rebellion and bring Barry to justice without more heartache. Ah, and a romantic ending. Lovely!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

The world is ours. You have to appreciate just how far Kye has come to be able to even think this way. Even as he thinks this though, so much could yet happen. Barrett is close by and clearly desperate. There is a great deal of ground to cover before Huxton and Barrett are brought to justice. All of them will be at risk until then.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well, that put all your suspicious-minded and indignant readers in their place. :rofl:
Some day Ash really needs to sit down and ask Kye to repeat everything he's heard without Barrett realizing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

So many things Kye doesn't even know he knows... He will turn out to be very useful in the proceedings against Barrett and Huxton.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

You were right, I rather enjoyed this chapter, and it did well to answer the questions I had from the previous chapter. What I loved most of course was how Kye handled everything. The kid is impressive, and though he still hasn't grapsed it yet, a force to be reckoned with. He also has all kinds of inside information that can be used to bring these people down. He was just the quite plaything that was sitting right there in the background while all this plotting was taking place around him. He has so much to offer that he hasn't realized.

 

I think a favorite moment was Kye attempting to shield Ashton from Gerard. It made me smile, how much he loves Asthon already and how protective he is. The ending of the chapter was beautiful as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/13/2016 07:28 AM, Lux Apollo said:

Kye saves the day inadvertently after almost blundering it. I like his save better than risking injuries against Gerardo knives. Well, the Sterlings have another chess piece on the board. Hopefully they have enough now to quell the rebellion and bring Barry to justice without more heartache. Ah, and a romantic ending. Lovely!

There is definitely enough 'evidence in play to put Huxton and Barrett out of commission now. Glad you liked it!

Link to comment
On 08/13/2016 09:09 AM, drpaladin said:

The world is ours. You have to appreciate just how far Kye has come to be able to even think this way. Even as he thinks this though, so much could yet happen. Barrett is close by and clearly desperate. There is a great deal of ground to cover before Huxton and Barrett are brought to justice. All of them will be at risk until then.

Yes, Barrett is still a wild card. Gerard has confirmed Barrett's anger at losing Kye, and a desperate man is never someone to turn your back on.

Link to comment
On 08/13/2016 01:52 PM, Timothy M. said:

Well, that put all your suspicious-minded and indignant readers in their place. :rofl:

Some day Ash really needs to sit down and ask Kye to repeat everything he's heard without Barrett realizing.

Hehe, yeah, Kye has no idea the wealth of information he's inadvertently been privy to. :)

Link to comment
On 08/13/2016 11:25 PM, Puppilull said:

So many things Kye doesn't even know he knows... He will turn out to be very useful in the proceedings against Barrett and Huxton.

Exactly! :)

Link to comment
On 08/16/2016 04:06 AM, spikey582 said:

You were right, I rather enjoyed this chapter, and it did well to answer the questions I had from the previous chapter. What I loved most of course was how Kye handled everything. The kid is impressive, and though he still hasn't grapsed it yet, a force to be reckoned with. He also has all kinds of inside information that can be used to bring these people down. He was just the quite plaything that was sitting right there in the background while all this plotting was taking place around him. He has so much to offer that he hasn't realized.

 

I think a favorite moment was Kye attempting to shield Ashton from Gerard. It made me smile, how much he loves Asthon already and how protective he is. The ending of the chapter was beautiful as well.

Yes, Barrett had no idea just how formidable an enemy Kye would become to him, just with the information Barrett let him be privy to thinking Kye was just his plaything.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..