Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 4,457 Words
  • 7,108 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Falling Apart - 35. Chapter 35

Chapter 35

 

Oh, God. Where was he? I raced through the carnage in panic. So many. Bleeding. Dead. Where was he! Then I saw the cloaked figure who'd been the cause of it all.

Laughing. Pointing his gun and aiming at another fleeing figure. I flinched at the loud shot.

"No!"

How could he? How could he kill so many innocent people? I swallowed as I noticed a familiar figure at the man's feet. Two familiar figures. Bleeding, eyes wide in death. Liam. Ash.

Oh... Gods! "NO!"

"Kye! Open up!" A pounding jerked me from the nightmare. I blinked several times, my heart hammering in my chest from the horrible images my mind had conjured. The bed next to me was empty. Ash... I rubbed my face as I remembered he was still at the docks. "Kye!"

"I'm coming," I finally managed as I struggled to free myself from the damp sheet.

The minute I had the door unlocked, Tareth bolted through, wrapping me up in his arms as his wide eyes scanned the room for a threat. He patted me, smoothing his hands over my head and arms, as he assured himself I wasn't hurt.

"Are you hurt? Did something happen?" Tareth asked anxiously.

I was already shaking my head before he even finished his questions. "I'm fine. Just... just a nightmare."

Tareth eyed me warily. "You're still shaking. Do you want to come to my room, and lay with me for a while?"

Oh, Gods yes. A breath of relief whooshed out of me as I collapsed back in his arms, nodding against his chest. I would have asked him to stay with me here, but I knew he would feel uncomfortable in the viscount's room.

We headed across the hall, and Tareth left his door slightly ajar so we could hear when Ash and Liam returned. I climbed onto his bed, moving to the far side. Tareth settled next to me, and I curled against his warmth. He held me protectively, just like he had when we were little sleeping on that straw pallet in the corner of our little house.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Tareth asked softly.

I didn't. I didn't even want to remember it, yet there was no way to forget it either. Maybe sharing it with Tareth it might help ease my fears. "It was Barrett. He'd come to the dock tonight. He... he... killed Ash... Liam... everyone..."

Tareth petted my shoulder with the arm wrapped around me. "It was just a dream. Lord Ashton and Mr. Liam will be just fine. You'll see. Besides there's no way Barrett would be able to get more than one or two shots off before someone stopped—"

I glared at him. One or two shots would be all it would take. Tareth grimaced as he realized what I was thinking.

"Forget that. In fact, I'm sure Lord Barrett is long gone. He has to know he's got a bounty on his head now and everyone is looking—"

"That's why I'm worried about Ash. He put that price on the marquis's head."

"Technically, the Regent's magistrates did that."

"You know what I mean. Barrett has to know the Sterlings would be a major factor behind it. Maybe Barrett would want revenge."

"He could," he said thoughtfully before adding, "You knew the man for years, did he seem like the kind of guy to sacrifice himself just to get to the Sterling Counts?"

I frowned. "Well, no. He's rather selfish. He'd send others, but, you're right, I don't think he'd risk himself like that."

"And certainly not in some shootout on the docks, right?" Tareth clearly was trying to ease my mind, and it was working.

It did seem silly now. Barrett was selfish. He probably was off on a boat heading to the eastern lands, especially after Gerard failed to return. Or maybe he'd head to the north... start over with what he could take with him."

Tareth grinned as we settled more comfortably on his smaller bed. "See? That's what I mean. Now, just relax until Lord Ashton gets back."

I nodded against my brother's side as he held me protectively against him. His presence chased back the nightmare enough that I found myself drifting back off to sleep.

 

****

 

Bang!

"Where—?!" a voice roared.

I instinctively ducked further into the blankets. Gods, if Master were this angry, I was in serious—

"Oh, Gods, I thought—" I heard a heavy thump.

There was frantic scrambling next to me, and I jolted from the mixed haze of sleep and panic as I noticed someone jumping to their feet out of the bed.

Tareth.

"I'm so sorry, my lord," my brother panted, obviously having been jarred awake as well. "I left my door open so I could hear you return... we must have fallen asleep..."

I lifted my head from the covers to see Ash slumped over in the chair by the door, holding his head in his hands.

Oh, Gods, was he hurt? He looked wrecked, exhausted and... wet?

I threw back the covers, nearly tripping as I scrambled to reach him. "Ash?" I dropped to my knees in front of him, grabbing his wrists to pull his hands away from his head. "Are you hurt? Did something happen?"

He looked up at me, water dripping from the curls on his forehead. His eyes were wide. "You—you weren't in bed."

I frowned at him.

"I—I thought something had happened to you," Ash breathed out on a whisper, leaning forward to press his forehead against mine.

Oh. A little tickle of giddy pleasure had me smiling.

"I'm sorry, sir," Tareth was saying. "He had a nightmare, so I just thought..."

Ash waved a hand at Tareth as he pulled himself together. "I'm the one who should be sorry, Reth. I over reacted."

He rose abruptly, tossing me over his shoulder as he did. I yelped as Tareth laughed.

"We'll be heading back to bed now," Ash announced as I slapped at his damp back to put me down.

"You're wet," I complained as he headed across the hall.

"It started to drizzle as we were heading back." He tossed me on the bed before he started to strip out of his wet clothes, hanging them up to dry.

I brushed ineffectually at where my night shirt had gotten damp from his shoulder. "Did everything go all right?"

"Yes, actually. Perfectly. Even though I had Liam, Gavin, and Evander standing guard just in case, it was very quiet. We suspect most of the dock workers are sleeping off a bit of a hangover after visiting the Rusty Anchor."

"Will they be angry about missing out on the work tomorrow?" I tossed back the covers as Ash climbed in, burrowing in next to me.

"No, no, they'll still be paid, so if anything they'll be even happier."

"Good." I didn't like thinking that the honest, hardworking men at the dock might be missing out on earning pay just because Ash and Rowland were worried about another theft of the cargo. I ran my hand through his damp tresses before gently tugging him closer.

"I love you."

He caught my lips with his, softly sweeping his tongue inside. "I love you too."

 

****

 

"It's still dreary out," Liam commented as we sat downstairs to a breakfast served by Mr. Hue's wife—eggs and toasted bread with butter—simple yet satisfying.

It was overcast, the streets still wet from last night's rain. Through the front window, I could see a few people on the street with cloaks on, so it must be damp or chilly or a combination of both out there.

"I am going to take Kye around to the tailor and the cobbler later today," Ash added. "First, I think we need to make an appearance at the docks though. I am sure the workers will be confused when they show up and there's nothing to unload. I know the captain can tell them, but I'd like to reassure them personally."

Liam nodded. "That would go a long way in assuring future loyalties."

I shivered in the chill of the tavern, wishing they would light the fire, although no one else seemed affected by the cold. I wrapped my cloak around me, huddling in my chair as they talked about the success of last night's endeavor.

"Evander came back this morning to let me know the supply carts had made it successfully to the estate. If there had been any plans to steal it, it seems we have successfully averted it," Liam said. "Evander had to have rode like a bandit to make it back so quickly, although it is a relief to know the carts are safe. I gave over my room to him. Told him to get some sleep after being up all night."

"Good, good." Ash grinned, looking relieved and relaxed even after so little sleep last night.

"If I may take my leave for an hour or so, sir," Tareth began, "I'd like to visit a couple of, um, shops."

"You're welcome to come with us," Ash offered.

Strangely, Tareth flushed. "Um, well, I thought I might visit the, um, silkmaid and, uh, maybe the seamstress and the, uh, silversmith..."

My eyes widened in surprise as Ash and Liam slowly smiled.

"Oh, um, well then," Ash cleared his throat with a wide grin. "Very well. Please, take your leave."

Tareth quickly scrambled up, obviously a little nervous. "Thank you, sir."

"No need, no need."

"I'm sure she'll like whatever you pick out," I called as he headed for the door. Tareth cast me a quick smile and a wave before he darted out the door.

"They make a cute couple," Liam commented as he watched the door close behind my brother.

I nodded my agreement. I was a little surprised Tareth seemed to be considering asking Amelia to marry him. I hadn't realized just how much he had fallen for her.

"Well, I should probably get down to the docks and take care of that," Ash said as he rose. I started to rise too, only to find Ash frowning down at me. "You're cold."

I frowned down at myself wrapped in the cloak. Yes, I was cold. What did that matter? We were leaving.

"It's colder outside. You should stay here. I'll get Mr. Hue to light the fire." He was already waving over the man before I could even protest. "Please light the fire for my companion. He'll be resting here for a bit while I tend to some business."

"Of course, sir." The man darted off, calling for someone in the kitchens.

Ash led me over to a table closer to the stone hearth. I glared up at him. "I'll be fine. I'm not going to freeze to death. It's just a little damp out."

"And you have less layers than the rest of us. Not to mention you're still skin and bones," Ash countered. "There's no need for you to be out in this drizzly mess longer than necessary. I won't be but an hour, if that."

A young man was suddenly next to me on his knees as he stacked wood in the fireplace. I huffed, watching him for a few minutes before relenting. A fire did sound nice.

Ash nodded smugly when he noticed me acquiesce. He turned toward the door. Liam swept up his rifle from the corner, ready to follow. "No," Ash stopped him, "you stay here with Kye. I'll take Gavin and Jacob. I saw them head outside for a smoke as we came down."

Liam faltered a moment before nodding. He settled at the table across from me with a long look out the window as Ash strode by it. With the fire finally warming the small corner, Liam sprawled out his long legs, resting his rifle against one thigh.

"So did you sleep well?" Liam asked, his eyes darting past me to the window still.

"Yes, I had a nightmare, but then I crawled in bed with Mr. Hue's wife and she kept me warm and cozy."

"That's nice," Liam said distractedly, and I smirked at him.

"Yeah, her bed was a little small for the both of us. Fortunately, Mr. Hue was kind enough to show us to a bigger one, and we all crawled in together."

He stared at me a moment longer before he jerked suddenly, his eyes widening as my words finally sunk in and didn't make any sense. "You what?"

When I didn't say anything else, he noted the smug look on my face. And I was sure he realized he'd missed what I was saying.

"I'm sorry, Kye. I was a little distracted and may not have been paying attention," he admitted.

"Yes, I figured since I just told you I slept with Mrs. Hue, and you said that was nice." I sat back, crossing my arms. "I was joking, to see if you were listening."

He groaned at his mistake, rubbing his hands over his face.

I leaned toward him, as he cast one more look over my shoulder. "Is Ash in danger?"

"Oh," Liam startled, "no, no, he'll be fine. I just... you know me."

"Are you sure?" His apprehension seemed more intense this morning than usual, which had me worried as well.

Liam's eyes flickered to mine, and I could tell he was about to lie to me. "Yes, I'm sure he'll be fine."

"I can tell you are worried. Please tell me why."

The steward sighed heavily. "It's just my own gut instinct, that's all. I know everything went off well last night, yet I can't help feeling something is off. We must have foiled Barrett's plans to accost our wagons today, but I can't help feeling he going was going to, and now that he can't get to the carts, would he do something else?"

I sucked in a breath. My nightmare flashed before my eyes. What if Barrett or someone he hired was waiting at the docks now? What if Ash was walking into a trap with no one to protect him?

"You have to go," I said suddenly, glancing at Liam's rifle. "He needs you."

Liam's hand tightened on the barrel, as if he were fighting himself. "No. He ordered me to stay here."

"What's going to happen in here?" I asked. "I'm just going to sit here by the fire and stay warm." I leaned forward, grabbing Liam's hand that was tapping nervously on the table. "Please. Go protect him. Rowland needs you to keep his brother safe. I need you to keep him safe."

Liam stared at me for several long moments before he growled and jumped to his feet. He stalked over to Mr. Hue, speaking rapidly before racing out the door. The pale innkeeper hurried over to me with a mug of hot cider.

"Just let me know if you need anything."

I nodded, thanking him for the warm drink. I switched to Liam's seat so I could see out the window. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to see. A couple of young boys raced by, laughing, uncaring of the damp weather. An older couple shuffled down the street, the man's arm wrapped around the woman's shoulders to keep her warm. A couple of people passed, their hoods drawn up so it was impossible to see their age or even their gender.

I finally tired of staring out the window and returned my gaze to the fire.

"Kye."

I jumped at my name, looking over my shoulder. Evander. The broad man lumbered closer, dropping heavily in the chair opposite me.

"How are you?" he asked, leaning back and rubbing his blood-shot eyes.

"I'm well. But aren't you supposed to be sleeping?"

"Yeah, well, my rumblin' stomach wouldn't let me quite settle. Asked the misses in the kitchen for something." Evander sat back, closing his eyes. I thought he'd fallen asleep in the chair, then I heard the growl of his stomach as well and we both started laughing.

"I guess that would keep me awake too." It had on many occasions when I'd laid curled up on my window seat in Master Barrett's room.

An older woman came over with a plate of chicken and potatoes, and Evander grinned. "Now that's a hearty meal. Thanks much, ma'am."

Mrs. Hue patted his shoulder. "My pleasure. Enjoy, young man."

"Hmmph, young man. I ain't no young man," Evander grumped with a tiny smile.

"You are to me, boy," Mrs. Hue countered as she turned back to the kitchen. "Now eat up."

We both chuckled at the woman's mothering attitude. I asked Evander how the evening went just to make conversation, since I'd already heard about it from Ash. He admitted he was pleasantly surprised that everything went so smoothly, considering the troubles they'd had with so many shipments over the last year.

"Liam said he was surprised you were back so soon."

"Yeah, he was. I was just too wound up to rest after all the worryin' over it, and I knew Lord Ashton wouldn't rest well neither until he knew. So I grabbed a fresh horse and hustled on back as fast as the mare would go." He grinned. Even though he was clearly tired, I could see he was satisfied at having been able to give his lord a positive report.

"Thank you for that. I know Ash and Liam were very worried about something happening."

Evander finished off a leg of chicken and sat back, his eyes drifting closed as his body seemed to finally be catching up to the long ride he'd done. "I'm guessin' that marquis of yours has finally given up and made trails elsewhere," he muttered.

I felt my spine stiffen. He wasn't my marquis. Not anymore. And I could only pray it was true that he'd run now that he was a wanted criminal.

"Excuse me?" Mr. Hue hovered near our table. We both looked up at him questioningly as he held out a folded piece of paper. "This message was just delivered for you, sir."

I expected it to be handed to Evander mostly because I still didn't think of myself as a 'sir'. Evander just lifted a brow when I realized I'd been staring at it for several seconds.

"Are you sure it's for me?" I asked, hesitantly taking the paper, not sure what to do with it. "Who delivered it?"

"One of the young boys," Mr. Hue waved his hand dismissively. "They are always around and willing to run any errand for a pretty penny."

Well, that didn't help me figure out where it came from. Unless Ash or Liam had sent the boy from the docks with the note for me. What if something had happened? What if they needed my help?

I unfolded the paper, and stared at the letters. A few of the letters formed words I was becoming familiar with; unfortunately, most of them didn't. I bit my lip as I looked nervously up at Evander.

"Would you... would you mind... reading it?" I finally got out. "I'm not... familiar with... all the words."

Evander's eyes softened as he leaned forward. "Sure." He took the paper. "Kye, my dear son..."

I sucked in a breath. It wasn't from Ash or Liam or even Tareth. My father, Mr. Benjamin, had sent it. And to call me his dear son after all he'd said yesterday, I was ready to rip the note from Evander's hand and shred it.

"... I am so terribly sorry for all that has happened. I have been a horrible father, and you deserved better..."

Huh, well, maybe I could listen just a bit.

"... I know you probably have no desire to see me again, and I understand if you don't..."

Well, he's right about that.

"... I would, however, pray you give me but a moment of your time. I have something of your mother's that she would want you to have. Her cross necklace. She left it wrapped in a handkerchief she embroidered. I have taken so much from you, I'd like you to have a piece of your mother. I can't ever fix all the mistakes I have made. Yet in this one thing, maybe I can offer you some small part of your mother. Please. Please, if you can find it in your heart to let me do this one good thing, please come to the Rose so I may give it to you. Your father."

Evander sat back as I continued to stare at him in disbelief of what he'd just read. I realized my hands were twisted together tightly.

"Wow, that's some serious grovelin'," Evander mused with a smirk.

"He really said all that?" I asked, taking the paper and scanning it, even though I couldn't read it.

"Yep, that's what it says. I'm guessin' you and he don't get along."

"You could say that," I mumbled before looking back up at the big man and watching him yawn and stretch. Evander narrowed his eyes at me when I continued biting my lip while staring at the paper.

"Are you scared of him?"

I jumped. "No. No. I'm not scared of him."

Not anymore anyway. The man had no hold over me.

"Didja want me to go with you?" Evander offered, stifling another yawn. "We could go real quick, get your mother's necklace, and be done with the man."

I almost said yes, but this poor man in front of me was exhausted and needed sleep. "No, no thank you. I can do it. It'll only take a few minutes." I rose, curling my cloak around me. "You need to go to bed."

"Are you sure?" He rose with me apparently intending to follow me when he staggered a step. "Maybe I do need some sleep. Perhaps you could wait for Lord Ashton to return to go with you."

I straightened, slightly offended that he felt I had to be accompanied to see my own father. I was older now; I wasn't as weak as I once thought I was. I may not be as strong as Ash or Liam or even Evander, but I wasn't the thirteen-year-old my father once knew either.

Of course, I wasn't stupid though. I didn't want to be alone with the man. I worried if he would be able to prey upon my emotions still.

"I'll go quickly, and I won't go any farther than the doorway. He'll have to accept that if he wants to say anything."

Evander nodded. "Good, good. Keep on neutral ground. Make him come to you."

I smiled at his agreement with my decision. I did want to get it done quickly. Maybe if I hurried, I'd be back before Ash and Liam returned. They wouldn't be happy that my father had contacted me, probably suspecting he would try to wheedle his way back into my favor to eventually get back into the Sterlings' good graces.

It wasn't going to happen. Yet the offer of my mother's necklace, even as his pitiful atonement gift, left me aching. I desperately wanted something to remember her by. I'd missed her, I'd given everything to get medicine and a better home for her when she was sick, and I hadn't even had the chance to say good-bye.

Maybe that's why father was offering me her necklace—as my chance to make peace with losing her. And with it, he hoped I'd forgive him just the tiniest bit.

"I'll be back in a few minutes," I announced to Evander, and to Mr. Hue who was standing at his counter. They both nodded encouragingly.

I stepped out onto the cobblestone street. The Elite Rose was on the other side of the street, several buildings up, away from the dock. The area was quieter, as most of the merchants tended to build closer to the port to cater to the fishermen and crews from visiting ships. The Tranquil Tide, as Mr. Hue continually expressed, tended to house the more flavorful sailors. Whereas The Elite Rose and other shops further away appealed to the Captains, first mates, and any upper-bred passengers that might be traveling through.

I passed a few boys sitting just inside an alleyway playing knucklebones, and a flash of regret speared me. I'd never gotten to actually play with the other boys when Tareth and I would accompany father into the tiny village near our home. I'd watched Tareth play many times. He'd taught me to play, even though the other boys never let me join in because I was so much smaller.

Maybe Tareth and I could play now. Would he remember how to? Could he re-teach me how?

I shook off the memory as I approached the steps to The Rose. I knocked on the door, even though I knew I didn't need to. After a moment, I pushed it open. I could hear voices in the kitchen, but I didn't see my father.

"Mr. Benjamin!" I called, keeping my feet firmly planted on the doorstep.

Hurried footsteps came from the kitchen. My father stopped halfway across the room when he realized I hadn't moved.

"Come on in." He waved for me to move. "No need to linger in the doorway."

"I have no intention of spending any time here. I'm not sure if I can offer you any forgiveness yet, as your note asked for. I'm only here because of mother. If you do truly have something I might have to remember her by, I would be grateful for it, though."

He leaned a hand on the table next to him, the other casually resting on his hip. A slight smile formed on his lips. I chill washed over me as he didn't seem at all like the contrite man his note made him out to be. Yesterday, I'd seen him falling apart at the idea of losing Ash's patronage, begging for my forgiveness, for me to listen. I'd thought that was who I'd see now, especially after the note. However, he was back to the confident, smug man I'd first met.

"Well," he drawled, "You have caused me a bit of a problem, my boy—"

"I'm not 'your boy'," I snapped back.

The breath whooshed out of my lungs as I was shoved hard from the back, causing me to stumble several steps into the inn's tavern. I caught myself on the counter as a voice I'd hoped to never hear again spoke before slamming the door behind him.

"No, but you are mine."

*ducks torches and pitchforks*
Copyright © 2016 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 41
  • Love 3
  • Angry 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I am out of likes for the day! I'm just going to have to review this chapter and say that while it is brilliantly written and shows many wonderful evolving facets of Kye and Ash's relationship, there is this small matter of a cliffhanger....augh! Wonderful chapter! Like!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm holding a pitch fork trying to threaten you, my lady, "Get that next chapter out NOW !" Maybe if I add the threat of burning your manuscript you'd hurry up ... BUT, wait, if I do that you'll probably have to spend more time doing a rewrite than if I had left you alone... Finally l have a break down and start to scream and cry and bang my head on a hard surface ... Men in white uniforms, medical staff / nurses / orderlies rush to my side to bind and gag me, carrying me off to solitary confinement "for my own good" ... Anyway thank you for the journey with Kye and Ash so far !

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well all I can say is I'm extremely disappointed in Kye at this point. He walked into an obvious trap and really should have known better. He's way too gullible for someone who's been used and abused like he's been. That is all.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I just wanted to show Kye the memes of Admiral Ackbar! It's a trap! Kye, why'd you have to choose this moment to be independent? But OK, he needs a chance to get revenge on his own. So get to it!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well, I can't say it came as a surprise, and I can't even feel sorry for Kye, since his own stupidity brought it on. :rolleyes: And since Ash didn't explain why Kye shouldn't go out without a body guard, I shan't feel too sorry for him either. It's pretty obvious the perfect way to revenge himself would be for the bad guy to kill Kye.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I think I can see where Kye is coming from. At times, he still sees himself as unimportant, especially compared to lords like Ash and Row. He probably never even considered that he'd be the most logical target for Barrett's revenge, because he'd figure his former master would go directly after Ash- the lord- and not the mere "commoner."

 

As for the next chapter, something tells me, Barrett and that sperm donor will regret their decision to go after Kye. Either by Ash and Tareth or even by Kye himself. All I know is, it'll be interesting. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

GAH! *waves torch and pitchfork* I had a feeling that Barrett would get his hands on Kye again at some point. Things were going too well and Barrett hadn't been caught yet. I'm surprised that Kye wasn't more suspicious of his father, although I suppose his nature is so good that he gives people the benefit of the doubt. Next chapter now, please! lol

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Poor trusting Kye. His father and Barrett knew exactly how to get to him. One thing Ash and everyone else has overlooked is that Kye might be able to protect himself despite his small size, if he had something to help him. Where's a knife or dagger?

 

Kye is in Barrett's clutches now and it looks bad. I could see this coming in some form. I believe Kye is strong enough to get through this encounter with Barrett, but it won't be pleasant or easy. The waiting won't be easy for us either.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Delicious, craftingmom!

 

I sort of expected Barrett would get to Kye somehow. Kye's father was stupid, though. The note clearly showed where he was going and Evander knows, as well. So, no matter what happens, Kye's father is a dead man. Maybe we need a pool at GA to pick who kills him. :P

 

Can't wait for next Friday to arrive!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Torches and pitchforks indeed. I could see it coming, like a train in a tunnel and wanted to simply reach out and slap Kye into realizing the danger. With a cautious as he can be, I was alittle surprised but the mixture of his father's emotional cruelty was enough to blind him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

It has been a while since we had a lynching at GA. I think we should revisit the event.

 

Thanks for for sharing this story with us all!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Since this was expected, I hope you do something interesting, now that Kye is back in Barrett's clutches. Something unexpected. Enjoying the story so far.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/25/2016 08:55 AM, Geemeedee said:

Since this was expected, I hope you do something interesting, now that Kye is back in Barrett's clutches. Something unexpected. Enjoying the story so far.

Oh, I'm sure it was expected, everyone seemed to be just waiting for Barrett to show up. I hope I don't disappoint in the future chapters *frets* :)

Link to comment
On 09/25/2016 02:39 AM, wildone said:

It has been a while since we had a lynching at GA. I think we should revisit the event.

 

Thanks for for sharing this story with us all!

Well, you don't have to go to all that trouble on my behalf :D

Link to comment
On 09/24/2016 02:31 PM, Dabeagle said:

Torches and pitchforks indeed. I could see it coming, like a train in a tunnel and wanted to simply reach out and slap Kye into realizing the danger. With a cautious as he can be, I was alittle surprised but the mixture of his father's emotional cruelty was enough to blind him.

My editor/beta said the same things as they were reading about wanting to shout at him. His father is still a sore spot for him, and I think even though he confronted him yesterday, Kye still held out a little teeny-tiny hope there might be something there redeeming in his father, especially since he was offering something of his mother to remember her by. Of course he's wrong...

Link to comment
On 09/24/2016 02:11 PM, skinnydragon said:

Delicious, craftingmom!

 

I sort of expected Barrett would get to Kye somehow. Kye's father was stupid, though. The note clearly showed where he was going and Evander knows, as well. So, no matter what happens, Kye's father is a dead man. Maybe we need a pool at GA to pick who kills him. :P

 

Can't wait for next Friday to arrive!

Oooh, a pool to guess who gets to take down kye's father--how cool!

Link to comment
On 09/24/2016 08:20 AM, drpaladin said:

Poor trusting Kye. His father and Barrett knew exactly how to get to him. One thing Ash and everyone else has overlooked is that Kye might be able to protect himself despite his small size, if he had something to help him. Where's a knife or dagger?

 

Kye is in Barrett's clutches now and it looks bad. I could see this coming in some form. I believe Kye is strong enough to get through this encounter with Barrett, but it won't be pleasant or easy. The waiting won't be easy for us either.

Yes, offering up a reminder of his mother certainly got Kye to fall into their trap. Everyone knew Barrett was coming, I think--it was just a matter of when and where :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/24/2016 07:35 AM, Valkyrie said:

GAH! *waves torch and pitchfork* I had a feeling that Barrett would get his hands on Kye again at some point. Things were going too well and Barrett hadn't been caught yet. I'm surprised that Kye wasn't more suspicious of his father, although I suppose his nature is so good that he gives people the benefit of the doubt. Next chapter now, please! lol

I tried to show Kye wasn't totally trusting of his father in that he only went as far as the doorway. Obviously, he wasn't expecting Barrett, though. If someone had gone with him, it is likely they would have been hurt/killed by Barrett in the process of getting to Kye (or Barrett could have continued to wait until someday Kye was alone somewhere else too).

Link to comment
On 09/24/2016 07:03 AM, Drew Espinosa said:

I think I can see where Kye is coming from. At times, he still sees himself as unimportant, especially compared to lords like Ash and Row. He probably never even considered that he'd be the most logical target for Barrett's revenge, because he'd figure his former master would go directly after Ash- the lord- and not the mere "commoner."

 

As for the next chapter, something tells me, Barrett and that sperm donor will regret their decision to go after Kye. Either by Ash and Tareth or even by Kye himself. All I know is, it'll be interesting. :)

Exactly, he's never thought of himself as very important--worthless, even, and certainly feels that Barrett would probably want revenge on Ash and Rowland for destroying his plans. The issue Kye will have is that he's now very protective of his brother and Ash, as well as his 'extended family' of the rest of the Sterling estate. He's kind-hearted and won't want anything to happen to anyone...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/24/2016 06:47 AM, Timothy M. said:

Well, I can't say it came as a surprise, and I can't even feel sorry for Kye, since his own stupidity brought it on. :rolleyes: And since Ash didn't explain why Kye shouldn't go out without a body guard, I shan't feel too sorry for him either. It's pretty obvious the perfect way to revenge himself would be for the bad guy to kill Kye.

Nope, probably not a surprise :)

Maybe more of a 'finally! there's Barrett! Knew he was around somewhere!" And Kye was definitely a little naive to go to his father on his own; though he certainly didn't expect anything to happen since he was only going to the doorway--figuring he be in plain view the whole time. And his father knew exactly how to bait him with the lure of something of his mother's.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/24/2016 06:27 AM, Puppilull said:

I just wanted to show Kye the memes of Admiral Ackbar! It's a trap! Kye, why'd you have to choose this moment to be independent? But OK, he needs a chance to get revenge on his own. So get to it!

Hehe, Parker said the same thing during his read through for edits! Yes, Kye is still naive, even as much as he's been through. He just doesn't consider himself worth much--why would Barrett go after him when he could go after Ash. It doesn't even occur to him that Barrett might use HIM to hurt Ash yet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/24/2016 04:20 AM, spikey582 said:

Well all I can say is I'm extremely disappointed in Kye at this point. He walked into an obvious trap and really should have known better. He's way too gullible for someone who's been used and abused like he's been. That is all.

Yes, I know. Even though Kye was a little suspicious of his father, enough to only go to the doorway, the lure of a memento from his mother was just enough for him to push that aside.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/24/2016 03:49 AM, Lux Apollo said:

Sigh. Idiots, all.

Oh yes, I'm sure every time someone left--Tareth to shop, Ash to the dock, then Kye sending off Liam to Ash--it was becoming more and more obvious Kye was about to be relatively alone...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/24/2016 03:35 AM, hohochan657 said:

I'm holding a pitch fork trying to threaten you, my lady, "Get that next chapter out NOW !" Maybe if I add the threat of burning your manuscript you'd hurry up ... BUT, wait, if I do that you'll probably have to spend more time doing a rewrite than if I had left you alone... Finally l have a break down and start to scream and cry and bang my head on a hard surface ... Men in white uniforms, medical staff / nurses / orderlies rush to my side to bind and gag me, carrying me off to solitary confinement "for my own good" ... Anyway thank you for the journey with Kye and Ash so far !

:lol: I think that's the best descriptive reaction I've ever gotten! Thank you! I'm glad you are enjoying the story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..