Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 3,329 Words
  • 5,426 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Falling Apart - 28. Chapter 28

Chapter 28

 

Luncheon was a tedious affair, much more formal than any other meal I'd attended here at the Sterling estate. Apparently, the presence of Baroness DeLyle added the necessity for more proper decorum. It was positively boring.

"My lady, brother, if you will excuse Kye and me, I will attend to the matter we discussed," Ash stated, rising before Rowland even responded. I sighed in relief that we would finally escape the tedium smothering the table.

"I will excuse myself as well, my lord," Liam said formally. "I have a new hire to appraise." Liam rose, sending baleful glares at the woman's hand on Rowland's in the process.

"Oh? Did we put out a notice?" Rowland asked, drawing his hand away from Isobel's seeking grasp.

"No. Beatrice told me this morning a man had arrived, begging for work. She told me he looked so poorly she took pity on him and fed him and let him warm himself by the kitchen hearth. I told her to have him brought to me as soon as luncheon was over. I expect she'll have him waiting for me as we speak. I suspect I'll probably send him out to help one of our tenants—the Culberths are older and could use extra help."

"Sounds perfect." Rowland dismissed us with a rueful nod, knowing he was now left to entertain the baroness alone.

Ash led the way down the corridor towards the kitchen. Several men were still eating at the long table and benches. They greeted their viscount with respectful nods and me with bright smiles and hearty hellos. I was beginning to recognize faces; some of them had accompanied us on the fateful trip into the grove to where Charlie had intended to deliver me to Richard—Tom, Evander, Jacob. The one I remembered best from that night because he kept apologizing for knocking me down out of the path of Richard's bullet—Gavin—wasn't there though. And I remember Ash saying he was on the errand with Donnelly to Phinchester Castle. Sam was sitting there as well. He still held a bit of guilt in his eyes every time he looked at me, but there was nothing I could do to ease his mind.

"Reth! Aren't you supposed to be mucking out the stalls?" Marcus called from behind us as he entered the wide kitchen archway.

I startled at the stable master's voice, not only because he was so loud and right behind me but also because I hadn't seen my brother in the room. The raucous laughter from the table and the heads turned toward the exit on the other side of the kitchen drew my attention. Tareth was stepping away from Amelia with a flushed face, his hand lingering on hers.

"I'm going," Tareth called back to the stable master. "Just stopped by for a quick bite to eat."

"Well, Amelia's not on the menu, young man," the woman stirring a thick batter called out, causing another round of hearty ribbing from the gathered men.

"It was just a kiss, mother," Amelia assured with a kiss to her mother's cheek.

"I promise, Ms. Rosa, Amelia is safe with me," Tareth assured, his face flushed from the teasing.

The cook hummed. "She better be."

"If she's not, he'll be talking with me," Ash spoke up from over my shoulder. Tareth and Amelia both straightened, eyes widening at their lord.

"And me," I added with a smirk at my brother.

That broke the tense moment, and Tareth's flash of fear eased. "Good afternoon, my lord," he greeted first before turning to me. "And you too, Kye. Good to see you are finally up. Long night?" He tilted his head in query, knowing I had been worried about Ash's return, and I nodded. He turned his attention back to the viscount. "We were relieved when you made it home safely, sir. Many of us were rather worried."

"Thank you for your concern, Reth. Unforeseen circumstances held us up, but hopefully it will turn out to be worth the trouble. Maybe we will finally see an end to the strife plaguing the area lately."

"Here, here!" the men chorused.

Ash stepped by me to one of the kitchen women—Patricia, I think her name was—and asked her for a simple bowl of stew and a chunk of bread. I frowned. He'd just eaten, so I wondered why he wanted more.

"Oh, and Amelia..." He stopped the young lady as she moved to exit the kitchen. Amelia's eyes widened in surprise at being addressed by the viscount. Her breath caught when he leaned in close to her ear. "Can you please move my belongings from the Sunset room back my room," he paused with a smile as he glanced back at me, "well, our room. Oh, and please be sure to change the linens as well."

Amelia ducked her head with a blushing smirk. "Yes, sir. I've already done that. And I'll go right now and move your things as you've asked."

"Thank you." He hesitated, leaning in once more. "You do you find Reth's attentions... welcome, correct?"

I held my breath. I knew why Ash would feel the need to ask, to look after everyone under his protection, but I couldn't help a little bit of irrational ire that he could even think ill of my brother's intentions.

"Yes, my lord," Amelia smiled, the blush on her cheeks deepening. "Very much so."

Ash grinned, nodding. "Excellent."

He turned as she hurried off. Patricia handed him a plate with a bowl of stew and a crusty piece of bread on it, a spoon tucked into the side.

At my questioning look, Ash smiled. "Now we see if Charlie has any more to say than he did last week."

"What if he doesn't?"

Ash shrugged. "With Lady DeLyle's papers and testimony backing up everything you have said, Charlie isn't as important as he was two days ago. But, should he choose to talk, it would be one more nail in Huxton's coffin."

Nodding, I prayed that Charlie would talk as I was certain my word wouldn't mean much to the Regent or Lord Chancellor or whatever minister they sent.

Ash glanced up at the table. "Evander, can you please follow me?"

"Of course, sir," the brunet responded automatically. If he was surprised at being singled out all of a sudden, he didn't show it as he popped up from the bench and followed his lord out of the kitchen.

Charlie. I wasn't sure how I felt about seeing him again. Not after he'd wanted to hand me over to Richard to be carted off back to Barrett. I could only imagine the amount of pain my back would have been in had he succeeded. The marquis would not have been merciful, of that I was certain.

 

****

 

I hovered behind Ash and Evander as we headed to my old room. I noted the padlock on the storage door that kept the bolt from being slid back. Ash handed the plate and stew over for me to hold as he dug out the key for the lock. Evander's shoulders straightened, his stocky body readying itself, as he seemed to realized why he was there—as intimidation, or at the least, an extra hand should the prisoner become unruly. I heard some grunting and shuffling as the lock clicked open.

I kept out of the way as Ash swung open the door, tense and ready in case Charlie was of a mind enough to attack him. Evander positioned himself right behind his lord, blocking the rest of the doorway with his mass. I peeked around the corner to see the man lounging idly as if he were a king waiting for a slave to serve him grapes.

"Brought the trained pet, huh?" Charlie smirked.

Ash's jaw tensed but didn't to rise to the bait. Instead, he turned to me and took the food. With a sharp nod, he silently directed me to stay outside the door. He didn't seem to need to give Evander any instructions—the man just seemed to know what he was to do. Ash dropped the plate at the end of the cot, forcing Charlie from his comfortable position to reach his lunch.

"You still have nothing to say?" Ashton asked, staring down at the bedraggled figure lying on the cot. "This is your final chance to redeem yourself."

"Nah, I'm right comfortable where I am," Charlie said smugly, digging in to his food.

"Fine." Ashton turned to Evander. "Be sure to have Liam send a notice to the Lord Chancellor. We have a traitor to the Regent who needs an escort to the royal gallows."

Evander's dark eyes glittered as he smiled at the prisoner. "My pleasure, sir."

Ash glanced back at Charlie, who had paled. It was well known prisoners suffered terribly in the dungeons before they were hanged. "Enjoy what little comfort you have left."

"You don't have the guts to have me executed. Or you would have done it yourself already," Charlie taunted.

Ashton narrowed his eyes. "You have apparently underestimated my leniency. You have only been kept here, well fed and slightly comfortable this last week, on the off chance that you might come to your senses and be useful. But my patience has waned and with it my good will."

The look on Charlie's face indicated he'd figured the Sterlings would keep him prisoner here and deal with him themselves. "But—but the Regent?"

Ash laughed out loud. "You expected I would hand you over to the local constable? After the grievous nature of your crimes?"

"But—But I was only followin' orders!"

"Orders against the Regent!" Ashton lashed out.

"They—they said they'd be the new Lords. That the Regent was weak and I'd—I'd be given a title."

"Of course they did. I'm sure they made similar promises to many others for their support. Did you really think Barrett or Huxton would follow through with that?" The shocked look on Charlie's face made it obvious he hadn't expected the viscount to know about the Earl's involvement. Ashton smiled slyly at Charlie's inadvertent revelation. "Yes, we are aware the Earl of Huxton is at the heart of the rebellion, and Barrett was his main supplier of arms. As soon as we have enough proof of the Earl's treason, he will be arrested."

Charlie had dropped his nonchalant attitude completely as he realized his former associates were about to fall mightily into disgrace. I held back a grin at the panic flooding the big man's face as he bit at his bottom lip.

Ash turned his back on Charlie, clearly indicating that, not only didn't he consider the man a threat, but also a spineless weakling. "Evander, get a rider out in the next hour. I want this maggot out of my house as soon as possible."

I schooled my features, keeping them impassive. I knew riders had already been dispatched, and it was probable the Lord Chancellor or at least one of his ministers were already on the way.

"I could take care of everything right now, my lord," Evander said menacingly. "Be done with the bastard."

I almost laughed aloud as Ash made a grand show of thinking about it. Evander managed to keep the snarl of distaste on his face, even though I was sure he was amused by Charlie's panicked look as well.

"No," Ash finally drawled. "I want to let the Regent make an example of him."

"No wait!" Charlie yelled, stopping the viscount's retreat. Lord Ashton didn't bother to even respond to the call, only gave the man a pointedly raised eyebrow. "I can be your proof."

Ashton's brow rose. "Really? And what would your word be against a noble's?"

Charlie sneered at the implication his word wasn't worth much, but I knew Ashton was just trying to goad more from the man. "You think I'm stupid? I have proof. I have letters, from Barrett and Huxton. There are a few other minor highborns in them too who were looking to raise their status and line their pockets."

Ashton nodded curtly, as if this just confirmed what he'd already known. Those involved in the rebellion would be lesser nobles hoping to elevate their titles. They would be the ones most against the Regent's plans to aid the plight of the lower and middle classes with lower taxes and reforms in the compensation a lord must offer for services.

"I see." Ash made a show of considering Charlie's offer. "I suppose I'd have to let you go to retrieve these so-called papers?" Ash laughed as if he didn't believe Charlie. "Do you think I'd fall for that?"

"No, no really. I have them. Here. Hidden on the estate," Charlie insisted. "J-just—Just have someone... or even more... take me to the granary."

It was almost too funny to watch Ash tormenting Charlie with his dispassionate indifference to Charlie's pleas. "Well, I suppose it might not hurt to look," he finally conceded after several long agonizing minutes for Charlie. "Evander, why don't you retrieve Tom and Will or even Pete to help you escort Charlie here to the granary?"

"Certainly, sir," the brunet agreed quickly, with a slight bow as he strode back down the hall.

"And what do you expect for these papers, should they actually exist and be of use?"

I watched as Charlie took a deep breath, obviously calming himself down. "I promise they are worth it. They were my insurance... to make sure those bluebloods followed through with their promises."

"So you kept them for blackmail," Ash surmised.

"Well, wouldn't you, in my position?"

"I would never have been in your position," Ashton snapped back.

"Just don't turn me over to the Regent or the Chancellor. Please." I almost felt sorry for Charlie. As much as he was willing to hand me over to Richard and possibly Barrett—which would probably have lead to my own painful death—I wasn't willing to wish a torturous ending on him.

The tromping of feet from the kitchen echoed down the hall. Evander reappeared, leading Tom and...Will—I think.

"Ahh good." Ash stalked out of the small room. "Tie him. Let him lead you to these 'papers' he claims he has hidden. If there are any, bring them to me. I'll decide if they are worth his miserable life."

"Yes, sir," the men chorused.

"And," Ash smiled as he glanced back at the defeated man, "if he gives you any trouble... feel free to... correct his attitude."

"Oh, yes, sir!" the men chanted enthusiastically. I was pretty certain Charlie might have a few extra bruises, whether or not he behaved.

"I do need him alive though," Ash reiterated. "Just in case he has useful information for the Lord Chancellor."

Evander spoke for the group this time. "Of course, sir. He will be taken care of appropriately. I promise."

I choked back a laugh at the innuendo Evander left hanging there. Apparently, Charlie realized it too. He may be alive, but he might not be well by the time he was returned to the store room.

"Thank you, gentlemen." Ash nodded his dismissal as he stepped by them. I hustled passed the men to follow.

"Do you think he's telling the truth?" I asked as we passed the kitchen back towards Ash's study.

"Yes, actually, I do." Ash's hand landed on the small of my back as he guided me through the halls. I noticed he often found a reason lately to touch me—my neck, my shoulder, my back—soft gentle touches that told me he was there. I wasn't sure why he did it, but I loved it when he did. Those small touches grounded me, drew me in, making me feel needed and stronger than I'd ever felt before.

A giggle to our left distracted my attention from Ash. We both surreptitiously glanced into the parlor where Rowland was perched on the edge of a lounge with Lady Isobel sitting indecorously close to him. Her knee was pressed against his thigh as she leaned in to tell him something, her hand resting on his forearm for emphasis.

Ash chuckled softly as his brother carefully disengaged himself from her clutches by reaching to pick up a tea cup and offering it to her, thereby occupying her hands. Ash quickly guided me away before Rowland noticed us and called us to join the little tete-a-tete he'd been caught in.

"Probably a good thing Liam is busy sorting out the pauper," Ash quipped. "He'd probably have a bloody tongue from biting back what he'd want to say to Lady Isobel."

That caused me to laugh, and I realized just how much I was laughing recently. And smiling. It felt so refreshing, so uplifting, to not be constantly worried about what would happen to me next—would I be good enough, strong enough, to withstand whatever Barrett chose to do to me?

"I've got some work to do—checking over the books and wages, verifying details for the cargo coming in next week—" Ash had stopped and turned to me, and I was already missing his touch on my back as I expected him to dismiss me so he could work in peace. But then his hand lifted to my jaw, pulling me closer to him. "You don't have to stay. It will most likely be rather boring, and I expect you'd probably enjoy going outside for a while, but... I'd like it if you stayed."

By the time he'd finished, Ash's lips were hovering over mine in a whisper. How could I say no to that? I lifted on my toes to meet his lips. "I'd like to stay with you. If it won't bother you."

"I don't think your presence could ever bother me, amari. Although I might not get as much work done as I usually do," he laughed.

As Ash settled at his desk, I wandered over to the bookcase near the doorway admiring the thick leather-bound volumes even though I couldn't read most of their titles yet. I heard Liam emerge from the small room across the hall. He was talking to someone, his voice becoming louder, so it wasn't a surprise when he appeared in the doorway a moment later.

"My lord," Liam started formally—I assumed for the benefit of the scruffy, bearded man who followed him—"The new hire I told you about earlier this morning is here. He would like a moment's audience with you to express his gratitude."

Ash looked up with a wide smile to greet the man, but my breath caught in my throat. I knew this man... but... from where?

The man's eyes glittered and a small smile tipped the edge of his mouth as he took in Ash rising from his desk.

"Of course. Please, come in."

Liam started to back out of the room, leaving this stocky stranger supposedly alone with the viscount. Neither one of them had noticed my presence.

"And you are...?"

"Gerard, sir." His boldness seemed out of place for a man begging for work. His baggy coat was cleaner than I'd expect of someone who had no home nearby. His head cocked to the side as if listening for the door to close behind Liam, leaving him alone with the viscount. "Thank you for allowing me a private audience, sir."

Gerard... Gerard... was that even his real—

I sucked in a sharp breath, causing both Ash and Gerard to turn in my direction and Liam to stop in the doorway. Gerard's eyes widened slightly in surprise when he noticed me, his shoulders straightening.

I hadn't seen this man often, only three or four times maybe, but I couldn't forget the night I'd last seen him—with my former master.

This was Barrett's sharpshooter.

Sorry for the two week hiatus, but the cruise was wonderful! Hope you enjoyed this chapter as we close in toward the end... :)
Copyright © 2016 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 43
  • Love 6
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

God... You come back after 2 weeks...and leave us with this to deal with........ *Where's my pitchfork I stored it somewhere*

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I knew something was fishy as soon as I heard about the man seeking help. Are they insane to let him close to Ash or Rowland? :o:facepalm:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I was suspicious of the mysterious beggar from the first mention of him, but then I have a suspicious nature. CM, you know how to keep us on pins and needles until the very end.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

You'd think these fools would be more suspicious of a 'beggar' coming onto the estate looking for work at a time like this. Sigh. Well, such is life.

 

You've created a nice flow in this chapter, and definitely a good cliffhanger. Can't wait for the next installment! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm with lux, how can these people not be totally on guard for infiltratiors from an enemy trying to cause a war? They've already attempted assassination, and had a spy in Rowland's inner circle. You'd think these yahoos would put any random person showing up in the night under a lot more scrutiny. Especially Liam.

 

Also cliffie? :angry:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Glad to hear you had a good vacation. Welcome back.
I'm really into this story. Each new chapter is a real treat.
And your writing is excellent.
Thank you
Z

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh! Surprises just keep happening! What's Gerald's real business there? Is he on a mission or truly looking for work?

 

And even though he's a bad man, I hope they won't execute Charlie or torture him. It would upset me very much...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/06/2016 05:06 AM, dughlas said:

Huzzah! A new chapter ... arrrrgh, a cliffie!

 

Welcome home.

Hehe :)

Thank you!

Link to comment
On 08/06/2016 05:08 AM, ExxoToxin said:

God... You come back after 2 weeks...and leave us with this to deal with........ *Where's my pitchfork I stored it somewhere*

*ducks* :)

Link to comment
On 08/06/2016 05:16 AM, Timothy M. said:

I knew something was fishy as soon as I heard about the man seeking help. Are they insane to let him close to Ash or Rowland? :o:facepalm:

Your always so good at picking up on the little clues! :)

Link to comment
On 08/06/2016 05:45 AM, drpaladin said:

I was suspicious of the mysterious beggar from the first mention of him, but then I have a suspicious nature. CM, you know how to keep us on pins and needles until the very end.

Yes, you and Tim are really good at picking those little hints out. :) You know I'm nowhere near done with cliffie chapters...

Link to comment
On 08/06/2016 06:16 AM, Lux Apollo said:

You'd think these fools would be more suspicious of a 'beggar' coming onto the estate looking for work at a time like this. Sigh. Well, such is life.

 

You've created a nice flow in this chapter, and definitely a good cliffhanger. Can't wait for the next installment! :D

Thank you! I'm sure you'll enjoy the next chapter. And no cliffie next time! :)

Link to comment
On 08/06/2016 03:06 PM, spikey582 said:

I'm with lux, how can these people not be totally on guard for infiltratiors from an enemy trying to cause a war? They've already attempted assassination, and had a spy in Rowland's inner circle. You'd think these yahoos would put any random person showing up in the night under a lot more scrutiny. Especially Liam.

 

Also cliffie? :angry:

You are absolutely right. They should be suspicious of a stranger showing up after everything that's happened. I think you'll enjoy the next chapter!

Link to comment
On 08/07/2016 08:43 PM, Zenith said:

Glad to hear you had a good vacation. Welcome back.

I'm really into this story. Each new chapter is a real treat.

And your writing is excellent.

Thank you

Z

Thank you, thank you! I'm so glad you are enjoying it. And I'm glad to be back, even though the cruise was great (the bed sucked though and I really needed to catch up on sleep!).

Link to comment
On 08/08/2016 07:32 PM, Puppilull said:

Oh! Surprises just keep happening! What's Gerald's real business there? Is he on a mission or truly looking for work?

 

And even though he's a bad man, I hope they won't execute Charlie or torture him. It would upset me very much...

Strangely, Gerard's reappearance wasn't in my original plan, but here he is! And Ash and Row aren't into torture (Liam, maybe a little when really pissed off by a threat to Row), and while Ash has threatened Charlie with execution by the crown, he's really just threatening it to scare the man. Just so you know :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..