Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 7,016 Words
  • 4,836 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Falling Apart - 33. Chapter 33

Chapter 33

 

"When I get to Trienza, I'll visit the haberdashery. I'm sure I can find some things perfect for you," Ash said as we headed upstairs after dinner. He had spent most of today with Rowland and Liam working on plans to ensure the safe arrival of the cargo into port. It sounded like a large contingent of men were going with them.

"You mean we," I amended, pushing the door open. I saw Amelia and Will inside, placing clothing from Ash's wardrobe into a small trunk, preparing for the trip tomorrow.

"What?" Ash asked distractedly as he pulled off his overcoat.

"You mean we will visit the tailor." I had to admit it would be nice to have clothes that actually fit me.

Ash's long pause had me stopping in my trek to the washroom. I turned with a frown.

"No, I meant I. You will stay here." My mouth fell open as he continued. "I'll pick some clothes out for you, maybe Reth can help me. Then I'll arrange a day for the tailor to come out here to finish—"

"No," I blurted out without thinking.

Ash paused, I noticed Will stopped in the process of closing the lid of the trunk and Amelia was frozen in the middle of tidying the wardrobe. Had I overstepped my bounds? I bit at my bottom lip. No, Ash had insisted I tell him what I thought. Sometimes he had to cajole my true thoughts free since I still simply wanted to just agree with whatever he suggested.

"No?" Ash finally asked. "What do you mean, no?"

"I mean, I'll pick out my own clothes when I go with you to Trienza," I said, pinning Ash with my own glare.

Ash was already shaking his head. "No, we all decided that you would stay here with Row. It's safer here. We don't know where Barrett is yet, and I need—"

"No. We all didn't decide, because no one asked me." I snapped back, surprising everyone, including myself. I was still getting used to the idea of being able to say whatever I wanted, without fear of reprisals. Normally, I followed whatever suggestion or direction Ash gave me. But not this time. "I need to go."

"You don't need to go," Ash ground out. "Liam, Row, and I decided it would be safer—"

"No." I heard a soft gasp at my continued refusal, and flicked my gaze to see Amelia staring at me stricken with worry. Both Will and Amelia were holding absolutely still, obviously unsure of whether to interrupt by making their presence known again in leaving, or simply continue to pretend to be invisible.

Yet, even as I turned back to Ash and his angry frown, I wasn't afraid of him. I knew he would never hurt me, strike me, for defying him. And while my instincts yelled at me to Be Good and do as I was told, to please Ash no matter what my own desires were, I'd learned he would still love me even when I asserted my own will, as I was doing now.

Although, at this moment, he was certainly less than pleased at my bravado.

"You can't make me stay. I need to go—"

"Kye—" his voice broke into a softer plead, and I could tell he was scared. He was plainly worried about Barrett and what he might do. He needed me here, safe, so he could deal with whatever might happen at the port.

And for a moment, I wanted to relent. I didn't want to be a distraction for him, but I needed to go to Trienza.

"Please... I need to see him." I blurted out.

Ash blinked, confused at first, but then his expression softened with dawning understanding. He stepped forward and drew me into his arms, wrapping me up in his embrace. "Your father?"

I nodded against his chest. My stomach knotted when I thought about seeing the man who'd handed me over to Barrett without any thought, yet I had to do it. I'd talked with Tareth about it after he and Marcus had rounded up horses from the pastures in preparation for the number of men heading to the port. There were so many, including Tareth and Marcus, who were going. It didn't sound like hardly anyone was staying, although I'm sure Rowland wouldn't be left undefended.

"I see." Ash sighed heavily before he turned to the two servants on the other side of the room. "Please pack some clothes for Kye as well."

"Yes, my lord." Amelia scrambled to pull a set of clothes for me from the chest, handing them over to Will. He looked at a loss as to where to put them.

Ash laughed. "Just add them to my trunk. We will be staying in the same room. And after we purchase new clothes, we will get him his own travel case as well."

"Very good, sir," Will breathed out in relief as he re-opened the trunk and slipped in my paltry set of clothing.

"Oh, and find a suitable travel cloak for Kye. I fear mine will be too long for him."

"Yes, sir." Will snapped the case closed and lifted it with ease, even though it couldn't have been light.

Amelia scurried to turn down the bed before following Will to the door. She stopped and turned. "Will there be anything else, my lords?"

I blinked at her words. Lords? But then I realized she'd said that before, even before the Chancellor had knighted me. Had she already thought of me that way?

"No, thank you, Amelia. Have a good night. Tell Reth to get some sleep," Ash added with a hint of amusement.

The girl blushed and nodded before backing out of the door, closing it behind her.

Ash turned back to me, his gaze turned sultry, predatory, as he stalked slowly towards me. His cinnamon eyes locked with mine, while his hand drifted to the bottom of my shirt. He tugged it free and whipped it off over my head.

"I think we need to talk about your attitude, Sir Kye," Ash whispered huskily.

I lifted my chin, rising on my toes to meet his lips. "That's Sir Viscount Consort Stubborn Angel Kye," I said, throwing every name I'd been called at him as I gripped his hips.

He laughed. "Hmm, that's a rather long title. And you forgot 'little one'."

I glared. "I'm conveniently forgetting that one."

Ash grinned. "How about I stick with amari?"

He softly claimed my lips, and I eagerly opened to him as his hands swept down my bare back. "Amari is good," I gasped between kisses.

 

****

 

I was tired of being bumped along on the wagon. Traveling had never been something I'd had to do much. With Barrett, I was usually confined with him in a carriage, and while the seats were softer in the carriage, it was no less bumpier than the wagon I was on now.

Ash was mounted on his beautiful black stallion trotting along next to me, leaving Liam and Donnelly to lead the large contingent. He still had the scowl on his face from our more recent argument over using the carriage. After I had insisted on coming, Ash wanted to change plans and bring along the Sterling carriage, knowing I couldn't ride a horse. He was going to ride with me, to keep me company.

His arguments fell on deaf ears as I refused to let him change his plans to bring the carriage. He then tried to get me to ride on his poor horse with him. Not only did I have no desire to ride that long on one of those massive beasts—even if it would have me pressed up against Ash for hours—I didn't think it fair to burden the horse with my extra weight. Ash had laughed and said 'what extra weight?' as he leaned in for a kiss. Needless to say, he caught a mouthful of air.

It was simply easier, I insisted, for me to ride on one of the wagons. But I had forgotten it would be bumpier too. Fortunately, Tareth was guiding one of them, so it made the choice even easier. Ash had grumbled something about "stubbornness" as he relented and mounted his own steed.

The port, Trienza, was over half a day's ride moving at a rather fast clip. The Sterling brothers' plan to avoid an incident with the cargo was to arrive in the late afternoon as they often did. However, instead of resting until the next day, they'd brought enough men to unload the boat themselves during the night, sending the wagons on immediately. They were not going to utilize the hired men on the docks, just in case their loyalties had been compromised. Instead, they were paying them in advance, tonight, when we arrived and inviting them to one of the larger pubs well away from the dock. It would keep them occupied and satisfied, especially once they realized the work had already been done for them. With any luck, the cargo would be well on its way back, safe and sound, before most of the town woke the next morning.

Then, Ash said, we would be able to spend some time shopping for clothes. I was a little excited as I hadn't been to a town, let alone a port town, in years. I'd only been a young boy with my brother and father the last time, and we had certainly never spent much time in any of the shops.

Trienza was bigger than I'd thought it would be. Tareth said most port cities were larger, bringing more trade. As we rode closer to town, Ash and Liam sent the wagons and more than half the men off on a side trail that would skirt the outside of town and end close to the bay. So I didn't get to immediately see the main part of the town, just a glimpse of the expanse of storefronts before we turned.

Ash gave me a quick nod. "Stay with Reth and Donnelly," he ordered, and I smiled up at him, willing to follow that order. "Reth, I assume you will be going to your father's place first."

"Yes, sir. I think we both would like to be done with that task," Tareth said.

"Yes, I would imagine so. We will meet at the fountain just outside his establishment. Liam and I will be checking on the ship; it should be docking soon. And I want to clear the docks of all but our men. We need to get the dock workers paid and off to The Rusty Anchor. I suppose we'll also need to make sleeping arrangements, since we won't be partaking of our usual ones."

"Yes, sir." Tareth grinned widely.

Ash led a half dozen men as he turned his horse into Trienza's main streets.

"Rusty Anchor?" I tilted my head at the odd name as I noticed how regal Ash appeared as he rode away.

"It's one of the many pubs and taverns in Trienza. It also happens to be the biggest, and most popular with the dock crew. Maybe it's because of the name, maybe it's just the cheap drinks, I'm not sure. However, I believe Lord Sterling is going to offer, not only to pay the men early, but to also pay for a night of revelry at the Rusty Anchor. It'll draw half the town there, and it's a good ways away from the dock, so they'll be able to clear the cargo with little trouble."

Tareth continued following the other men and wagons to a field near the bay. I nearly fell off the seat as I tried to climb down—I was so struck by the wide expanse of the bay. There was so much water! And the ships!

Others were settling the horses, while some made their way along the wide path by the shore toward the docks. I don't know how long I stared as Tareth took care of the horses. The wind was a bit biting, so I pulled the hood of my borrowed cloak up and wrapped it around me. There was a strong salty scent, mixed with fish, in the air.

"Come." Tareth finally came and took my elbow.

We followed a few others who had decided to go into town. I guessed that many of the men Ash had brought were planning on resting now, probably in the backs of the empty wagons, since they would be busy later.

As we rounded the corner onto the main thoroughfare, I noticed Ash and Liam in their noble finery talking with a sun-weathered man who might have been the captain of the ship. Several people were staring, many were women who were smiling coyly behind their gloved hands. Ash did set an imposing image in the middle of this town. I suspected they greatly anticipated any visiting nobles.

"Oh, my, doesn't Lord Ashton look right fine today?"

I whipped around at the female voice. The two women were enjoying tea at a table outside a small cafe.

"He certainly does," her companion replied, fanning herself. "This was a perfect spot, Eliza, I'm sure he'll come this way after he takes care of business with the captain. He often enjoys a bit of refreshment afterwards. Maybe this time he'll refresh himself with me," she giggled.

My mouth opened as I had the urge to snap at the woman, but Tareth only chuckled as he pulled me along. "Ignore them. They are only dreaming. Lord Ashton is a very eligible bachelor, you can't blame them for hoping."

"Yes, I can. He's not eligible anymore," I muttered, realizing my jaw was clenched. An odd haze of anger and irritation had risen in me with the woman's words. It took me a few moments to realize it was jealousy.

"Hmmm, good," Tareth mumbled as he took in my tense face. "Save that determination for father."

Father. That brought me up short. I'd allowed myself to be swept up in the newness of visiting a city for the first time in so long.

"He's right up here."

In the center of Trienza was a fountain. Children were playing around it, splashing the water as their mothers talked together just outside of the splash zone. Patrons wandered the street, looking in windows, visiting shops. I noticed two inns—The Elite Rose and Tranquil Tide—one of which must be father's.

Before I could ask any questions, Tareth was leading me to the steps of The Elite Rose, and I knew this one must be it. I stopped Tareth.

"Can I—Can I go in for a moment... alone?" Tareth must have understood the need in my voice because he nodded. My hands were shaking, and I had to grip the inside of my cloak to stop them.

Tareth took me by the shoulders, staring down at me from taller height. "Take a breath, Kye. Don't be intimidated by him; he has no hold over you anymore." Tareth glanced briefly behind us, considering the building. "He may own this building, but it's all he has left. I've always thought it garish and overdone, but he has always wanted that kind of lifestyle. Even the people who work for him think he's a pompous ass, trying to make a seaside inn so elite, they rely on recommendations from other bluebloods. He seems to nary let a commoner stay there anymore." Tareth eyes seemed even brighter blue as he stared at the Elite Rose wistfully. Then his jaw hardened as he turned back to me. "I'll give you a few minutes, but then I have a few words for the bastard, too."

I watched Tareth step to the side of the building, off the main walkway to a wide alleyway between The Elite Rose and a cobbler's shop. There was a wooden table where one man was smoking. He had on an apron, and I wondered if he worked in the kitchens of father's tavern. Tareth joined the man, greeting him as if he knew the man—which, I realized, he probably did. Tareth had been here many times before; so he likely knew some of the people who worked here.

I drew in a fortifying breath before pushing open the brightly painted red door. The smell of ale and stew assaulted my nose. I stood rooted just inside the door, taking in the expansive open room. Smoothly polished tables, some with dark red cloths covering them, were strategically placed around the room. Candles in hand-blown Nevilan glass globes flickered on the walls.

Laughter echoed from the corner of the room, and I noticed three gentlemen gathered around one of the tables. They hadn't seemed to notice my arrival, and I was glad to remain unnoticed as I took in the pretentious decor. The heavy burgundy velvet curtains and the large paintings seemed to be an attempt at making the inn appear elite and fashionable. The dark woods of the small counter near the door and the stairs beyond reminded me of Barrett's opulent design.

A shudder raced down my spine.

This was what my father cared for more than me?

A young woman exited from a back room, probably the kitchen, carrying a tray of mugs. She set them on the one occupied table in the room, laughing with the men before she looked up and noticed me. She gave a start and I realized I must have looked odd still standing there wrapped in the cloak, hood draped over my head.

"Oh, hello there." She swept a loose strand of black hair back from her face as she set the tray down on an empty table behind her. "Is there something I can do ya for? A bit of rabbit stew, perhaps? Maybe some ale?" she rambled as she stepped closer, and I was struck by how friendly and... common she was. She wasn't pretentious as I'd expected the staff here to be—especially if father was doing the ordering. But then, it was probably important for her to relate to the customers easily.

Abruptly, her face lit up as if she'd just thought of something. "Oh, maybe you're here for a room? The ship just done come in, but..." she hesitated as she glanced toward a hallway next to the stairs, "... but I don't know if we have rooms. Usually those bluebloods take up the rooms."

Her familiar manner allowed me to breathe again. "I—I'd just... may I speak with... the owner, please."

She tilted her head with a small smile. "Sure. I'll get him." She disappeared down the hallway, and I heard her knock on a door. "Mr. Benjamin, a guest has arrived to see you."

Benjamin? I hadn't ever heard him called that before. Mama had only ever called father Ben. For a moment, I wondered if he was the same man, but Tareth wouldn't have brought me here if it wasn't. I suppose he felt Benjamin sounded more important than just Ben.

"Is it the count? I've been expecting—" a deep voice rumbled.

"No, sir. It's a young lad, by the looks of him."

Young lad? I felt my back stiffen.

"Send him away; we have no rooms."

"I told him we might not, but he asked to speak with you," the young woman insisted on my behalf.

I heard some grumbled words that I couldn't make out before the young lady hurried back out to the main tavern room. She nodded at me before heading back into the kitchen.

A stocky man in a suit stalked toward me. I blinked several times, trying to reconcile the man I was seeing with the man I'd lived with as a child. He seemed so much older than just the nearly five years since I'd last seen him. More gray flecked his muddy brown hair, and he had much more padding around the waist. He didn't seem as tall either, but then I'd grown taller as well. He was still half a head taller than me, but not nearly as tall as I'd expected. It seemed odd to me that Tareth was now taller than our father. It probably shouldn't have; Tareth always did take more after him physically than I did.

I watched him straighten his waistcoat as he approached, an air of authority exuding from him, and I suddenly felt thirteen again and he was sending me off to Barrett. The air rushed from my lungs as I remembered his heavy hand all those years when I hadn't pleased him.

"May I help you?" he asked politely, and it sounded foreign on his tongue. Had he ever been so cordial before?

I had the urge to just turn and run. "No," I finally choked out on a whisper. "I—I just needed to see..." I wasn't sure what else I wanted to say anymore.

Now that the man was in front of me, I couldn't think of anything I wanted from him. I'd thought I'd want answers. Yet, I suddenly realized nothing he could say would heal my soul of his blind avarice.

He squinted at me, those dark eyes assessing. "Do I know you?"

I flinched. Did he know me? Hell, no! You never really knew me, did you? You sold me to a fucking monster five years ago!

As much as the words I wanted to say screamed in my head, just as they had when I was younger, I held my tongue now as I had always done then.

I nodded before reaching up to lower my cloak's hood. "Yes, sir. You know me. At least you did."

He sucked in such a sharp breath, it caused the men on the other side of the room to fall into silence.

"You... what are you doing here?" he hissed.

He might as well have physically punched me in the stomach. For all my worrying, I had still held out hope that he might hold some regret for what he'd done, that he might still harbor some affection, simply because I was his youngest son.

He was still the man I remembered, worse even, and I couldn't let him see how he still affected me. I felt myself straightening, drawing my shoulders back. It was strange how relying on my training, all those years of standing in perfect agonizing form for hours, gave me a new confidence to face uncertain situations.

"I just came to see you, one last time," I finally said.

"Aren't you supposed to be with the Marquis? You have a contract—"

"No, not anymore. And don't expect to collect anymore on a contract that should have ended two years ago. You never came to get me. You left me with that... man... Did you know what he did, what kind of service he expected?" Words rushed out before I could stop them.

His eyes widened, quickly flickering over to his other guests, who were eyeing us warily.

"Son..." he said softly, as if he were placating a wild animal. He shocked me with his use of that endearment, but I suspect it was a whispered attempt to keep me from embarrassing him.

He was wrong.

"Don't call me that. You have no right to call me that," I snapped, causing the men to scurry to their feet, slap money on the table and hurry out the door. I suspect they sensed a fight brewing and had no desire to be in the middle of it.

Of course, their hasty departure earned me a glare from my father. "Look what you've cost me. Good money just walked out the door."

"That's all that ever mattered, isn't it?" I asked softly.

"Of course! We were beggared, the farm was failing! And then I had to send my only useful son to work with Count Sterling. I couldn't save the farm with just you. Your mother was sick so she couldn't help... Sending you to the marquis... we were able to come here, it saved us from ruin," he argued.

"It did more than that. You were well out of debt over two years ago—"

"How did you know—?"

"My servitude bought you this whole place," I added, throwing my arm wide. "Did you know," I demanded again since he had avoided answering before, "what he did, what kind of service he expected?"

At least he had the decency to look a little chagrined. "Well... he seemed very interested in grooming you as a valet..."

"Did you know?" I ground out, annoyed by his hedging.

He flicked an irritated eye at me, leaning in as if to assert his dominance, his superiority. "Are you asking if I knew what you'd become? Then yes! He would present you as his amorato to other bluebloods, of course I knew!"

"And still you continued to accept his money, to leave me with him?"

"You were an amorato. I figured you were where you wanted to be. Yes, you were his lover—"

"His lover? Where I wanted to be? I was thirteen! Do you think I was given a choice? I was his whore!" I yelled, my control snapping as I shoved him in the chest away from me, causing him to stumble back a step in surprise.

Fuck! I doubled over, heaving panting breaths. He had known at least part of what I'd been through. And lashing out at him by yelling and actually shoving him wasn't enough to ease the pain of knowing he'd given over his son like that.

"Then you should know your fucking place." The words, whispered next to my ear, hit me hard.

I whipped up, fury rising through my chest like lightning.

I did know my place. It was with Ash, as his amari.

My arm swung furiously as I sprung up, lashing out to get him away from me. He was entirely too close, his hot breath against my ear scorching my already battered heart. I felt a hard impact on my elbow as I jerked it up, a crack reverberated in the air.

As I straightened, I saw my father's head snap back and he crashed back against his polished greeting counter. I staggered away well out of his reach before he could recover.

Stunned, he grabbed his jaw, his blazing eyes shooting up to me. "You little bas—"

The door slammed open, causing both of us to jump. An imposing figure with blazing blue eyes stood there glaring at our father. I suspected he'd been listening outside, and our scuffle had him rushing in to my rescue. My brother's wide eyes raked over me, apparently searching for injury.

"Tareth?" My father's eyes grew wide.

"Father." Tareth stomped across the room, as our father's eyes flickered anxiously between the two of us. Tareth's bright blue eyes were hastily assessing what might have happened—darkening at first but then rising to me in admiration as he saw our father nursing his jaw.

"W-What—?" Father's voice faltered now that Tareth was suddenly looming next to me. He was fighting for composure, obviously unsure of what Tareth's sudden appearance might mean. "How good to see you. W-what a nice surprise," he managed with a smile.

I noticed how father's eyes flickered from Tareth to me, panic evident in their depths. I think he was hoping maybe Tareth didn't know who I was, that maybe he would ignore my presence as just another customer.

"How it is a surprise, father? I come every time Lord Sterling visits Trienza, whom I'm quite sure you knew was arriving today. Or, are you surprised perhaps that I am here with Kye?" Tareth taunted as his hand landed on my shoulder, cementing the fact that we were definitely already acquainted. I suspect father hadn't considered that I might have become reacquainted with my brother. He had worked so hard, after all, to keep us from knowing about each other these last few years. "Because I'm quite certain you never intended for me to ever see him again, isn't that right?"

"W-well, n-no, of course not—" father blustered, obviously flustered by Tareth's accusation, no matter how true it might be. I have to say, I was rather amused by my father's eyes darting rapidly between us, perhaps trying to determine just how well we'd come to know each other.

"Oh, yes. You can stop lying to me. I know you lied about him being ill when I wanted to visit. You lied about him running off, and about not knowing where he was. I know Kye never got the letters I sent, the ones mama promised to read to him if I sent them. What did you do with them? Read them? Burn them?"

Father shifted, straightening his shoulders, trying desperately to regain some control. "Your mother thought—"

"Do not blame this on mama!" Tareth yelled, causing me to jump. My nerves were already coiled so tight after hitting my father, it didn't take much to startle me at this point. "She only ever did everything you told her. She could never stand against you."

Father's face darkened, his cheeks splotched with red. "I did what was best for us."

"No, you did what was best for you!" Tareth's hands were clenched into fists as he leaned forward threateningly.

I was intently watching my brother, anxious as to what he might do. And apparently, I wasn't the only one: I noticed movement at the kitchen door and saw at least three heads peeking around the door jamb. I wondered how long they'd been standing there. Had they seen me hit my father? They'd certainly have some gossip to spread around after this.

I was afraid Tareth was about to take a swing at our father too. I grabbed his arm, intending to pull him away. I was shaking, adrenaline coursing through my veins had me vacillating between fury and fear. I had no further desire to talk with the man who'd fathered me. "Let's go. I think we are finished here."

But Tareth yanked his arm free. "No, I'm not done," he snapped at me before rounding his rage back on our father. "You are nothing but a greedy bastard. You told me you were receiving money from investments, when you really sold Kye to that fucking marquis to line your own pockets! I know what that bastard did to my brother, and I will never forgive you for letting that happen, just so you could increase your little hoard. And don't think for one second that I will ever want to see you again."

Father's mouth dropped open, not even aware of the gasps from his kitchen staff. He probably hadn't expected his favorite son to turn on him like that. Tareth's arm wrapped around my shoulders, his voice softening.

"Let's go, Kye," he smiled. "We have better places to be."

"Wait! Tareth, son, we can talk. Please, let us... all... talk about this. Let me apologize, make amends..." Father pleaded, even though he seemed to choke on the 'all' that would include me. He knew he was losing the only child he ever really considered to be his son. Because of me.

Tareth didn't respond to him, instead he looked to me with a questioning gaze. He was leaving it to me. Did I want to talk with the man again? Did I want to give him a chance to—to what? Explain? Atone for his sins against me? Could he ever really do that?

I had only glanced back to our father, attempting to discern how sincere he might be, when the door opened again behind me. Father's demeanor changed instantly. He straightened, his face breaking into a wide welcoming smile as he promptly ignored Tareth and me. He swept around us, his hand out ready to greet the new guests.

"My lord, so good to see you!" he gushed.

Tareth and I turned to see Ash and Liam. Ash's gaze swept immediately over to me. I couldn't resist smiling at his intensity as he tried to discern my frame of mind after having met my father. I gave him a quick nod to indicate I was just fine, that Tareth and I were good after standing up to our father.

Ash absently shook my father's hand, and I noticed Liam was biting back a smirk.

"Would you like your usual rooms? I have kept all of my rooms available to you and your companions as always." Father was eagerly trying to usher Ash and Liam further into his inn.

"That won't be necessary, Benjamin." Ash smacked his riding gloves into his hand.

That stopped Mr. Benjamin cold. "W-What? I don't understand, sir. Are you not staying the night? I thought the shipment was being unloaded tomorrow."

"It is. However, we have chosen to take rooms at the Tranquil Tide from now on," Ash informed him smoothly.

"But—but this is—the count designated this inn as his preferred lodging in Trienza," father blustered.

"Well, that may be true. My father, the former count, did make that arrangement after it became known that the father of one of his favorite stable hands worked here and was intent on buying the place." Ash glanced at Tareth, and I stared between both of them, stunned. "He was quite happy to help the boy's family by patronizing their establishment. And I know the current count has been generous in offering rather low fees on items to fill your larder and casks from the Sterling estate."

I had no idea that Ash's father had chosen to patronize this inn because he had cared for Tareth. Yet, knowing Ash and Rowland, and their innate kindness, I could easily see it happening. The former count probably did what he could to support his people—including supporting their families.

Father's head dropped contritely into a slight bow of reverence. "Yes, sir, your family has always been very generous. And it is greatly appreciated—"

"However," Ash continued as if my father hadn't said a thing, "it has come to my attention that you are not quite the devoted father my father once thought you were."

Father snapped his eyes to Tareth, who only grinned back. "Tareth, what have you said?"

"Nothing, father," my brother smirked, apparently amused that father immediately assumed it was Tareth to whom he wasn't a good father.

"You know I love you; why would you lie to your lords about me?"

"Reth has said nothing," Ash said coolly as he sauntered closer. "I have, however, learned quite a lot from my consort," he added, his fingers brushing my temple as they threaded through my silky golden hair to the cup the back of my head and draw me to him. He brushed a soft kiss against my temple, and I closed my eyes, breathing in his leathery scent to calm my nervous. "Are you well, teh amari?"

I nodded, leaning into his firm touch. After a moment, I realized just how quiet it was around me, and my eyes flickered back open to see my father staring at me in shock.

Because of course he would never consider his other son might know or be in any way connected with the viscount. Because he never really considered me his son at all.

"Y-your—your c-consort?" my father stammered, his ruddy face draining of all color.

"Yes." Ash smiled, still staring down at me. "For as long as Kye will have me."

Tareth and Liam were watching my dumbfounded father with huge grins of bemusement. Ash shifted, his huge body tensing again as he faced my father.

"I have only come here today to inform you that Count Rowland and I have no further desire to do any kind of business with you," Ash continued calmly, "and that further, we are withdrawing our patronage of this establishment at once, as well as selling you any of our harvest."

"What? You c-can't do that! How will I—" Father's face paled further, if that was even possible, at the idea of losing most of his profits. Besides, lodging the Sterling family on their visits to Trienza, buying food and alcohol cheap from the Sterling estate had certainly helped add to his wealth.

"Oh, and I will be suggesting to our friends to find other lodging arrangements as well," Ash added coldly.

"No!"

Both Ash and Liam arched their brows at his impertinent response. Father's hands were clenched into fists, his face now flushing an angry shade of red.

"You can't do that, sir," he bit out from between clenched jaws. I could see he was ready to explode. I knew from experience, if I'd been facing that rage, his fists wouldn't have remained at his side. Yet, he knew he couldn't attack a viscount without serious repercussions and was struggling to keep control.

"Why do you seem to think he can't?" Liam queried.

Father flicked a look at the steward, but kept his gaze on the viscount. "You'll ruin me."

"Perhaps you should have considered that before you let someone nearly destroy your son." My heart pounded in my chest as I stared up at Ash. Gods, he looked so fierce as my avenging angel.

My father looked liked he'd just been slapped. "I d-didn't k-know," he stammered, sweat beading on his brow. "I swear I thought the marquis was keeping Kye safe."

Liar...

But my father continued to sputter excuses. "He told me Kye was happy. He-he called Kye his amorato. The marquis claimed—"

"He tried to kill him!" Ash snarled, losing what little restraint on his temper he'd held until now. "He tried to kill my brother!"

"Y-your brother?" My father swallowed hard. I could see his blood pounding in his neck as it pulsed rapidly. I suspected my father was just now realizing how enraged Ash actually was.

"Barrett is wanted for treason against the crown and the attempted murder of Count Rowland Sterling," Liam stated, perhaps sensing Ash needed a moment to regain control.

"Sir Kye saved Lord Rowland's life," Liam added, his chest puffing up. He glared at my father as if daring him to say anything harsh about me.

"Saved—?" He gawked. "Sir Kye?"

Tareth laughed at the stunned disbelief on our father's face, and I noticed the wide eyes still watching from the corner of the room. I briefly wondered if Ash could employ them somewhere else if father's inn failed.

"Yes, father, Sir Kye. He's been knighted by the Order of the Dragon. Seems like maybe you placed your ambitions on the wrong son."

Liam chuckled as well, yet Ash held his amusement back to a wry smile as my father stared at me now, incredulously. I admit I felt a bit of satisfaction and pride as I watched my father gaped me with a mix of awe and confusion.

"Are you finished here, amari?" Ash asked softly. "I wish to eat and enjoy a relaxing night with you, before I have to deal with the cargo tomorrow."

"Of course." I ducked my head, turning to hide the flush of desire his words sent up my spine.

"Wait!" My father grabbed my arm, stopping me. Liam's hand was already on the hilt of the dagger at his waist, Ash loomed closer, his eyes darkening, and Tareth was nearly snarling at our father.

I almost chuckled at the overt protectiveness of the three men around me, but at that moment I wasn't worried. The tone of my father's voice was laced with fear and worry. He wasn't looking to harm me, he was anxious about his business. And he was smart enough to know he was going to lose it because of me.

"Please, Kye, let me... apologize. I never meant for anything to happen to you. I swear I thought you'd be learning a trade, a skill, as a manservant..."

For an instant, I believed him, his tone seemed so sincere and sorrowful. As much as I'd come to hate him after learning the truth, my soul still ached to be loved by the one person who should have done so unconditionally. But he hadn't. My worth to him was measured in what I could do for him, how much I could make for him. I had become a whore long before Barrett ever touched me. My father had made me one.

I lifted my chin, jutting it out just a bit. "I believe I'm rather fatigued as well. It was..." Did I want to say it was nice to meet him again? Would that even be true? To some extent it was, if just to have satisfied that curiosity. "It was enlightening seeing you again." I finally settled on as I moved toward the door with Ash at my side, Liam and Tareth filing in protectively behind us.

"Kye... son... please..."

His words had my steps faltering, and I'm sure it was obvious to all those around me that my father was preying on my delicate sensitivity. Ash sent Liam a silent message with one narrow look.

Liam nodded briefly before turning to my father. "Sir Kye is busy for the rest of the evening. He will determine later, perhaps tomorrow, perhaps much... later, if he has any time to speak with you again."

I heard Liam's words for what they were, and I'm sure my father knew exactly what he meant. We would not be speaking ever again unless I and/or Ash deemed him worthy of my time.

I silently thanked Liam because I knew I was too vulnerable to listen to the man right now. I needed time to ponder all that had happened in that little tavern.

I did pause at the doorway, turning to look at my father one final time. "Good night, Mr. Benjamin."

Copyright © 2016 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 52
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Go Kye! :D He's come a long way and it's good that he'll have closure now, where his father is concerned. I'm worried about them staying in town overnight... I hope nothing happens to them. Fingers crossed they catch Barrett and lock his ass up or execute him or something. Great story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

All right, Kye. Wait to go. The old bastard got what was coming and I notice they also managed to work in that the cargo was being unloaded the next day instead of that night. Good work. Now all they need to do is catch Barrett, who I'm sure is somehow linked to the old bastard.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I was waiting for the title of Sir Kye to be dropped as well as the viscount consort and I wasn't disappointed. As Tareth said, he chose the wrong son. Both Kye and Tareth have gotten some needed closure in this meeting with their father. I have a feeling that Mr Benjamin might be out to try and stop the blacklisting of his inn by any means. Things are going to get interesting again before this is over.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great chapter. And now I can only have but fear that asshole of a father will give them away to Barrett. Maybe I'm too much of a pessimist?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Who was it that said revenge is a dish best served cold? Very satisfying.
I don't think the father bet on the wrong son, really. Tareth is a fine man, despite his parent.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Now that was satisfactory. Like a huge chocolate cupcake... LOL So Kye has faced another demon on his way to becoming his own man. And he did good.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/10/2016 10:11 AM, Valkyrie said:

Go Kye! :D He's come a long way and it's good that he'll have closure now, where his father is concerned. I'm worried about them staying in town overnight... I hope nothing happens to them. Fingers crossed they catch Barrett and lock his ass up or execute him or something. Great story!

:) Glad you enjoyed Kye's 'meeting' with his father, especially his elbow. Thanks!

Link to comment
On 09/10/2016 10:23 AM, avidreadr said:

All right, Kye. Wait to go. The old bastard got what was coming and I notice they also managed to work in that the cargo was being unloaded the next day instead of that night. Good work. Now all they need to do is catch Barrett, who I'm sure is somehow linked to the old bastard.

I think everyone was looking forward to this confrontation :)

And yes, it's important to note they are moving the unloading of the cargo to the middle of the night instead of during the day when it would be expected to happen.

Link to comment
On 09/10/2016 11:20 AM, drpaladin said:

I was waiting for the title of Sir Kye to be dropped as well as the viscount consort and I wasn't disappointed. As Tareth said, he chose the wrong son. Both Kye and Tareth have gotten some needed closure in this meeting with their father. I have a feeling that Mr Benjamin might be out to try and stop the blacklisting of his inn by any means. Things are going to get interesting again before this is over.

So glad you enjoyed that part! And things are definitely going to get interesting again, you know me so well! :)

Link to comment
On 09/10/2016 12:45 PM, Lux Apollo said:

Great chapter. And now I can only have but fear that asshole of a father will give them away to Barrett. Maybe I'm too much of a pessimist?

Well, with knowing my writing style, being a pessimist is probably a good bet on what might be coming :)

Link to comment
On 09/13/2016 11:35 PM, Dabeagle said:

Who was it that said revenge is a dish best served cold? Very satisfying.

I don't think the father bet on the wrong son, really. Tareth is a fine man, despite his parent.

Very true, very true, Tareth is a very honorable man, unlike his father. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Link to comment
On 09/14/2016 04:43 AM, Puppilull said:

Now that was satisfactory. Like a huge chocolate cupcake... LOL So Kye has faced another demon on his way to becoming his own man. And he did good.

Ooooh a chocolate cupcake? That good, huh? :) Yay! Thank you!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..