Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 2,561 Words
  • 5,920 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Falling Apart - 22. Chapter 22

Chapter 22

 

"GGAAHHAAASHHH!!!"

The incoherent cry wrenched from my throat. All my anger, heartache, and misery that I'd spent years burying under calm, disciplined control... of trying to do what was right, even if it left me feeling wretched and inadequate... of praying it would end eventually... everything I'd held in, afraid to let show... came ripping out of me in one terribly liberating wail.

I collapsed in on myself, fisting my hands against the couch, letting the gut-wrenching sobs break free. I let the pain take me this time. I didn't try to maintain control. I didn't try to be good. I didn't try to be strong anymore. Because... why? Why had I put myself through all of it? Allowing the marquis to whip me bloody... to use my body... to imprison me in his home. When the money wasn't needed—except to satisfy papa's greed for a comfortable life?

Oh, gods, oh gods, oh gods. Why? Why?

"—eathe, Kye. I know you're upset, but you have to—" I felt hands on me trying to pull me up. They were scalding me, forcing me to move, to calm down, when all I wanted to do was to get away.

A sudden panic coursed through me at losing control, at fighting back. Oh, gods, what kind of punishment had I just provoked?

"No, no, no... please," I whispered, struggling to throw off the grip, desperate to escape. In doing so, I managed to end up on the floor, squeezed between the table and couch. I barely even registered a stab of pain radiating from my sliced palm when my hand hit the floor. My blurred vision only saw that I was hemmed in on all sides, with hands reaching for me again. Squirming away from the grasping hands between the table and couch didn't seem to be freeing me very quickly.

Someone was still talking, trying to grab me. Words were buzzing around me like a nest of stirred up hornets.

"—he's upset, falling apart on me..." A familiar voice.

A shove at the table sent the bowl of grapes to the floor. A small shriek echoed in the room. From me? Or... someone else... somewhere? I shook my head. It didn't matter. I just needed to escape...

"I'll fetch the master..." a female voice, high and alarmed.

Thundering footsteps had me cowering against the side of the couch. "I'm here. What happened?" Oh. That deep baritone thrummed through me...

"Sir, I was just coming to change the bedding—" the meek girl's voice started.

"Not you, Amelia. Kye..." The soothing voice was closer—but not close enough.

"He—he broke down... we were talking... our father—" Tareth's voice started but faded out as he jabbered out a quick explanation. I was too busy struggling to crawl away to listen, to get untangled from the mess of clothes constricting me, hoping to escape punishment for breaking, for screaming...

...breathe... I knew I needed to... I wanted to... but sobs choked out the air I tried to force in.

Finally, I managed to crawl free of the table and couch trying to trap me in, and I started clawing at the collar of my shirt.

... too tight... can't breathe...

Buttons popped loose as I ripped it open.

"Kye!"

I froze momentarily at the sharp tone. But I need air... I wanted...

Hands pulled me up, and I fought the confining grip. "No, no, no...I can't..."

Large, strong fingers encased both of my hands in one tight grip as his other cupped the back of my neck, firm yet tender. "Kye. Focus. Breathe."

Those compelling words spoken in that deep baritone I loved to hear rumbled close to my ear. The calm, soothing tone washed over me as he gently rubbed circles against my neck with his thumb.

It took a few shaky, keening breaths before I could gather myself enough to actually see the man I knew was standing before me, to remember where I was. He had pulled my captured hands against his chest, bringing me closer as well. Tears still dripped from my chin, but his presence slowly assuaged me, as it had before.

"Ash. Sir." I breathed out a harsh breath before a hiccupping sob stuttered in my chest.

He smiled. "Good."

I blinked at him incoherently. Good? I'd been fighting him, screaming in his home, knocking over dishes... how was that good? I hadn't been that out of control since my first days with the Marquis.

"I'm s-sorry." I wondered what kind of castigation I had earned myself. I prayed Lord Ashton wouldn't be as angry as Lord Barrett had been when delivering discipline.

My body started shaking again, but I didn't feel afraid. I was nervous about my punishment, but somehow I knew the viscount wasn't going to truly hurt me—because he never had before.

"He's shaking," Lord Ashton said with a glance over his shoulder, his brows knitted.

"Probably a bit of shock," a voice behind him stated.

I startled, realizing suddenly there were several other people in the room: Dr. Fulbert, Tareth, a girl I didn't recognize, as well as another man lingering in the doorway.

"... Will, you can go. Thank you," Dr. Fulbert dismissed the man at the door, who nodded quickly and left. Then the doctor turned back to Ashton as he moved toward the door himself. "Get him to the bed before he collapses. I'll go order some herbal tea, maybe bring a draught to help calm him."

The girl abruptly darted forward, scooping up a pile of linens that I was sure hadn't been there before. Had she come in to change the sheets just before I fell apart?

"Oh, please... let me finish changing—"

"Not now, Amelia," Ash ordered. He released my hands now that I wasn't fighting him and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. I took a shuddering breath as he drew me in. I buried my face in his chest, sighing as solid arms engulfed me protectively...even reverently.

I peeked over Ash's bicep at the girl, her frown at the bed looked like she was about to argue. She obviously didn't want to leave dirty sheets on the bed. But I just wanted her out.

I surprised myself, and apparently the viscount as well when I said, "Go. Please."

Ashton chuckled, his hands tightening around my back, one hand stroking down my spine. "Come back after supper. He needs to rest now."

"Yes, sir." She finally nodded, bustling out of the room.

"I'm sorry," I repeated hoarsely, unsure of what had come over me to even think about telling her what to do. And why was Ash so calm, almost happy? Why wasn't he yelling at me for disrupting his day, disturbing his staff?

"I'm so sorry, sir. It's my fault," Tareth started as he wrung his hands together. "I upset him—"

"Stop apologizing. Both of you." Ash growled. He squeezed me tightly again, before surprising me with a chaste kiss to the top of my head. I savored the tender hold, luxuriating in a touch that wasn't painful, that was almost... loving.

Ash gently turned me toward the bed, catching me as I stumbled, dazed. He practically lifted me onto the bed when I struggled to climb up.

I slowly curled up on my side, my hands tucked under my chin, as I looked up at him hesitantly. "You're—you're... not mad?"

A huge grin broke across Ashton's face before he laughed—a deep, hearty laugh—causing me to gasp in shock. He surprised me even more when moved to sit on the edge of the bed, his legs stretched out next to me.

"Mad? Hell, no. You needed this. You needed to break that man's fucking training." He brushed his hand through my hair before wiping away remnants of tears. "I was hoping something would finally crack through that damn stoic control you insist on maintaining."

He was?

"You're free of him, Kye," Ashton said softly, brushing a thumb across my jaw, absently sifting his fingers through my hair. I ducked my face into the covers, my cheek nearly rubbing against his firm thigh. I didn't want him to see how much I was enjoying this, his touch, his reassuring voice, just his presence—here, for me. I was afraid he'd leave. "I know you've suffered horribly," he was saying, swallowing thickly, "but I want to help you through this. Let me be there to help you."

I held my breath for several long moments, still unable to believe this man would choose to help me, to maybe even want me.

I nodded against his leg.

He smiled and leaned over. "Good." He placed a chaste kiss on my cheek.

I snuck my hand up, brushing over the tingling sensation his lips had left on my skin, as I curled up into my protective ball with a small smile.

"All is well, Reth. Don't worry," Ashton was saying. "He needed this. He's been holding so much inside, it's good that he finally let go."

"Gods, sir... I—I was scared... he was falling apart, and I couldn't do anything to help him," Tareth choked. "He couldn't even breathe."

"I believe he's fine now. In fact, I think he'll be better than fine. Yes, he may have fallen apart, but we will all be here to help him pick up the pieces—and hopefully throw away those that Barrett—"

"And my father," Tareth added.

"...And your father damaged," Ashton finished in agreement. "He's going to need you more than ever now."

"As well as you, sir," Tareth's voice sounded rather reverent and amused.

Ash's fingers paused their caressing. "I hope so, Reth. I hope so."

My heart fluttered in my chest. I know I already did.

 

****

 

I woke to a rustling sound and had a moment of panic. The bed was empty next to me. Ash was gone. I had fallen asleep next to him sitting on the bed. I vaguely remembered soft lips brushing my jaw again before he'd mumbled an apology. But I was aware of the cold vastness he'd left next to me. The luxurious softness I was swaddled in wasn't enough to replace the comfort of his presence. But Ash's kiss lingering on my cheek and his gentle words reminded me quickly I was safe here—even if he wasn't right next to me.

My pleasure was quelled, though, as I slowly remembered what had driven me back to the bed in the first place.

My papa. My own father had basically sold me to the marquis, indifferent to my well-being. He had never visited, never checked on my welfare. He'd never even told me mama had passed away. And he kept me from seeing Tareth all those years ago.

I dragged the thick blanket over my head, burrowing deeper, as if that would make it all go away. The ache in my chest at my father's betrayal, how much he must hate me to feel nothing at leaving me...

I choked on another sob. I didn't feel like this ache would ever go away. It was worse than any pain the marquis had ever inflicted. Because this was caused by someone who should have at least cared a little for me, for his youngest son.

The rustling stopped with a soft thump, and I felt a hand rubbing my back through the blanket. I peeked out from my cocoon, focusing my red-rimmed eyes on my brother. He was setting a book down on the table next to the bed as he continued his comforting touch.

"Hi." Tareth smiled sympathetically.

I forced a weak smile in return. "Hi."

"Nice nap?"

I nodded, not wanting to come out of my nest. Ever.

I knew that wasn't possible though. I did want to talk more with Tareth. Not about papa, but about his life here, with the Sterlings. And I did want to see Ashton again, and not in an hysterical fit.

"Good. I was worried. Lord Ashton was able to help you when I couldn't. He stayed with you for so long before he was needed elsewhere... I've never seen him like that before."

Warmth rushed over me at his words.

Tareth moved to sit on the edge of the bed next to me as I eventually shoved the covers down to my chest. He seemed anxious all of a sudden. He sounded broken. "I'm sorry about papa. I can't help but feel like it's—"

"It's not your fault, Tareth."

"I know, I know, but still... I feel I have to say it. I know he was always a bit of a bastard to you... He never saw everything I saw in you. All he could see was his own desires. He didn't care, really, about either one of us..."

I opened my mouth to protest. Papa had loved Tareth.

"I know you think he favored me over you. And he did, but only because I was bigger, stronger. Because I could help him more with the farm. I think that's why he was bitter that I wanted to leave with the Count that day. It's why he wheedled me into giving him more and more money when mama got sick, even though he was getting some from... the marquis as well. And I just had to tell you how sorry I am he did that to you, that I couldn't help you."

Silent tears leaked from the corners of my eyes, matching his, but I could only nod in agreement. He was right. Our father had always looked out for his own interests first. He loved mama, but I think he viewed us as a burden.

I really wasn't ready for another conversation about our father or the marquis right now. I'm not sure Tareth was either. I rolled to my back, struggling to sit up.

"I'm only grateful that Lord Ashton found you and brought you here."

I was too, although at the time I wasn't. But I didn't think Tareth would want to hear what I had been feeling at the time.

"He's a good man, and he... he seems to really... care about you," he mumbled thoughtfully.

I didn't know what to say to that. I didn't want to admit my hopes aloud yet. It was all too new, and I was still afraid it wasn't quite real—that it would dissolve instantly if I let myself believe it.

"Maybe you can show me the stables?" I suggested.

Tareth grinned at the sudden change of subjects but shook his head. "Not today. You're to stay off your feet, remember?"

I frowned. Oh, that's right.

"But... I can tell you other things about the Sterling estate." He beamed as he moved further up onto the bed to settle more comfortably. "You should know the gossip on everyone now that you're going to be living here."

As he started chattering about all of the people who worked in and around the estate, I slowly relaxed and found myself laughing at some of the anecdotes about his fellow servants, especially Marcus, his mentor and best friend.

He was happy. As I'd always hoped he was.

Maybe now... I could be happy too...

Copyright © 2016 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 50
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Kye finally gets the catharsis he's needed. It must be difficult for Tareth to face the fact that Ash could get through to his brother when he could not. Still, he seems to be okay with the strong bond that is quickly developing between Ash and Kye. Now, who is this Will? What will his role be going forward? Hmm...

 

Wonderful as usual! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment

We have a saying in Swedish "Bryt ihop och kom igen!" It's roughly "Break down and get back up!" Perhaps that's what Kye needed. Sometimes letting go of everything can reboot the system, making it possible to go on. Now, if he and Ash could just have a few more moments alone, without panic attacks... LOL

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

We finally see where the falling apart title comes from. It's Kye's release from those controls others had imposed on him. They are still lingering there, but they are much more tenuous now. Hope of happiness is now very real. It's still humorous he hasn't grasped that he is living in Ash's private quarters.
On a side note, I think the 'investors' in papa's inn deserve their share. There aren't going to be any cozy holiday meals or best wishes exchanged in the future there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

That was definitely needed. Kye hasn't been allowed to express himself or have a natural reaction to anything in years. The most tragic part for him is to realize it really was all for nothing. He had convinced himself there was a reason, something good was coming from the horror his life had become. Yet all it did was give his supposed father more money. I'd freak out like that too.

 

Ash and Kye are just getting closer and closer. I guess Ash has it pretty bad for Kye at this point, and of course it's significant that only Ash could really get through to him. Great chapter, really enjoying it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Ash is probably correct about this being an important breakthrough for Kye. He'll probably revert to his former behavior again and again, but he's taken the first step. Even admitting to himself he needs Ash and could even hope to be happy was a huge improvement. Tareth is also helping as best he can, but it will take a while before they can be comfortable as brothers once more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/11/2016 04:33 AM, Lux Apollo said:

Kye finally gets the catharsis he's needed. It must be difficult for Tareth to face the fact that Ash could get through to his brother when he could not. Still, he seems to be okay with the strong bond that is quickly developing between Ash and Kye. Now, who is this Will? What will his role be going forward? Hmm...

 

Wonderful as usual! :D

Thanks! Actually Will isn't important. He's just another servant. Another reviewer pointed out that there didn't seem to be a lot of 'other' servants besides Sam, Alisha, Tareth and Marcus, so I'm trying to 'mention' a few others so it's more obvious the Sterling household has a full complement of help, that's all. :)

Link to comment
On 06/11/2016 05:30 AM, Puppilull said:

We have a saying in Swedish "Bryt ihop och kom igen!" It's roughly "Break down and get back up!" Perhaps that's what Kye needed. Sometimes letting go of everything can reboot the system, making it possible to go on. Now, if he and Ash could just have a few more moments alone, without panic attacks... LOL

Yes, he needed to 'break'/fall apart to be able to rebuild himself. :)

And the next couple chapters focus more on Ash and Kye growing closer. So it's coming!

Link to comment
On 06/11/2016 11:28 AM, drpaladin said:

We finally see where the falling apart title comes from. It's Kye's release from those controls others had imposed on him. They are still lingering there, but they are much more tenuous now. Hope of happiness is now very real. It's still humorous he hasn't grasped that he is living in Ash's private quarters.

On a side note, I think the 'investors' in papa's inn deserve their share. There aren't going to be any cozy holiday meals or best wishes exchanged in the future there.

Hehe, yeah, he has no clue he's in Ash's room. It comes into play in a later chapter :)

And Tareth will have a few words for his father when he sees him again!

Link to comment
On 06/13/2016 09:47 PM, spikey582 said:

That was definitely needed. Kye hasn't been allowed to express himself or have a natural reaction to anything in years. The most tragic part for him is to realize it really was all for nothing. He had convinced himself there was a reason, something good was coming from the horror his life had become. Yet all it did was give his supposed father more money. I'd freak out like that too.

 

Ash and Kye are just getting closer and closer. I guess Ash has it pretty bad for Kye at this point, and of course it's significant that only Ash could really get through to him. Great chapter, really enjoying it.

Yes, knowing he went through all he did for nothing but his father's greed is devastating. Until now, he could still hold out hope that his father valued him a little bit for helping with his mother's medication. Ash definitely has fallen hard for Kye, but he knows he has to be careful with him as well after all Kye has been through. He recognizes he needs to use tenderness with Kye, and it's slowing working :)

Link to comment
On 06/18/2016 04:27 AM, Timothy M. said:

Ash is probably correct about this being an important breakthrough for Kye. He'll probably revert to his former behavior again and again, but he's taken the first step. Even admitting to himself he needs Ash and could even hope to be happy was a huge improvement. Tareth is also helping as best he can, but it will take a while before they can be comfortable as brothers once more.

Exactly. Kye is making progress, but he'll still have some doubts that will lessen as time goes on. Tareth has recognized that Ash is good for Kye and Kye is responding to the viscount, but he'll be there for his brother no matter what. :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..