Jump to content
    Demiurge
  • Author
  • 1,050 Words
  • 1,886 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Awaken - 31. Chapter 31: Prologue and Update

*Violence

The night was a cold one, rainy and bleak. A group of men huddled in their decrepit barracks, drinking and shouting to one another. The funding for this location was scarce as nothing ever happened. Over years, the country’s reputation had proceeded it. With good reason, it was well earned. As the men inside partied and generally made fools of themselves, one stood outside. He had separated himself from the rest physically and mentally. He hadn’t the immaturity, the almost blatant attempts to avoid any and all work. He was soaked to the bone and his attitude was worse for it. He grumbled to himself at at a particularly loud swell in the noise that reached him through the partially open barracks door. They should all be on duty. They were in the service of their country, not themselves. A country that would have zero mercy or understanding for this section of the border not being guarded.

They all knew firsthand just how merciless their homeland was. His gaze moved up to the top of the ramparts. They settled on the two ropes that were pulled tight and hung over the other side. Magik users. They’d been caught in a nearby town. He winced as he remembered the small bodies as they’d been thrown over the side, emaciated and barely more than children. He’d heard that they hadn’t even hurt anyone. They had just been trying to get food. He shook his head and drove his mind away from those thoughts. Better not to dwell on it. Nothing could be changed.

It was late and he was starting to grow tired. Normally, in a functioning post, a man would’ve relieved him hours ago. In that same vein, there would be far more than one guard on duty to begin with. This one barely stayed operational; functioning was far beyond what they were capable of. His chin dipped down to his chest as sleep threatened to overtake him. Surely a short nap wouldn’t be the end of the world. He was allowed a moment of weakness. His comrades seemed to only have them. The guard gave in finally and was snoring softly within seconds. Until he heard it. He startled awake, ashamed that he’d allowed himself to shirk his responsibility. He forced uncoordinated limbs up the steps to the ramparts, sleep still making him sluggish. He dragged a hand over his face and looked out over the forest that stretched as far as he could see. He’d never been farther than this wall and if he were asked, he’d tell anyone who’d listen how terrifying the forest was in the dead of night. He scanned the forest, eyes not catching on anything unusual. Had he imagined it? His mind scrambled to remember what it had been. A metallic tapping, that was it. What would make that noise in the Humiad forest? Nothing was the easy answer. Animals didn’t make noises like the one he’d heard. He swore softly under his breath, he couldn’t see anything except for his own breath. He didn’t hear anything besides his uneven breathing. But there it was again, the noise. A soft clang, clang, clang. It put him on edge. He tromped down the stairs, walking to the small door that sat next to the large gates. He pried it open, the wood groaning from neglect and disuse. He was breathing harder as the noise sounded again, closer this time. He shouted into the night, fear and frustration making him foolish.

He wasn’t a Magik user, so he didn’t feel the power rolling around him. He didn’t have the basic ability that would tell him he should be even more scared than he was. The hair on the back of his neck and the metallic sound were his only warning that something wasn’t right. He was panicking and his yelling into the dark got more frantic. The door was wide open and the power rolled through and passed him. It moved passed the door of partying men, sliding through the whole post as if it belonged there. The poor guard was still looking out into the night by the time it reached the other side of the great wall that separated Dimian and Dleth. There was a great shudder and people stepped from shadow onto the muddy red road that led into the country proper. A tall, broad shoulder man with shaggy bronze hair surveyed the scenery around him, his ice blue eyes entirely unimpressed. A smaller male with shoulder length snow-white hair sneered at the red mud that now sucked at his boots. More came, a fair male with a braid that reached his lower back, red eyes sharp and alert. Next a dark-skinned man with equally dark, neat curls atop his head. He looked back as two people joined the others waiting. A female with black curls tumbling down her back, her arm was hooked through a thinner man’s. He turned and purple eyes that caught the moonlight unnervingly. Finally, the final and tallest member stepped out, gray pushed to the very rim of his irises by onyx. His choppy graphite hair reached the tops of his ears, the sides of his head shaved. The hair that hung over his forehead was soaked with sweat and his breathing was a little labored.

“That was too easy,” Mumbled the first man who’d stepped out, hand rubbing over a short beard.

“Easy for you maybe. Damn you all just had to walk. I did all the work. It’s okay to admit that I impress you Eon.” The final man said, a tired smile gracing handsome features.

“No one finds you quite as impressive as you do, Talon.” The female rolled her eyes.

Purple eyes looked concerned as they met grey, “It did seem too easy. We normally struggle a lot more than this. With everything.”

“Why are we lingering? We need to move along, you incorrigible children.” The man with the braid pinched the bridge of his nose, voice annoyed.

“Hanja is right,” The dark-skinned man finally spoke up, his golden eyes scanning the horizon.

“So impatient. Welcome to Dleth! Please prepare your backwards ways of thinking and extreme xenophobia. Leave your compassion here at the post. You are not going to need it.”

Hey! Next part is up. Here's a taste!
I figured it'd just be easier to make it into an actual series.
As always thanks for your time!
🖤
Copyright © 2020 Demiurge; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

And we thought things were bad where they are coming from.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Absolutely amazing story. A myriad of interesting & different characters, great pacing and definitely not your typical predictable magical tale. Can't wait to hol on over to the new story! Thank you for sharing Demiurge ❤️

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I read this entire arc in, like, three days. I was swept away! Thank you so much for posting.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I’m … Stoked! I also need to stop binging you Demiurge. You’re terrible for my productivity…in the best possible way.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

@Dan South naw don’t stop. I’m having a shit week and watching your speed reading/reading your feedback gives me something to look forward to 🖤

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
41 minutes ago, Demiurge said:

@Dan South naw don’t stop. I’m having a shit week and watching your speed reading/reading your feedback gives me something to look forward to 🖤

Well, now I have a purpose, a reason to read on! I’m performing a service!! Happy to help, lol

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..