Jump to content
    Demiurge
  • Author
  • 4,671 Words
  • 3,051 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Awaken - 13. Fundamentals

I had fallen asleep almost right away after my...self exploration. That had only lasted a couple hours and then I had rolled over, wide awake. I threw soft blankets over my head and tried to force my brain to quiet down. Anxiety rolled over me and I soon found myself glaring up at the ceiling. I was nervous about my lessons. I'm sure that would be a natural reaction for anyone but I was so desperate for things to work out. Convincing myself that I could do this was a failing effort. I felt as though I'd been given chances all throughout my childhood just to be met with failure and disappointment. I had powers now, but what if I still didn't learn fast enough? What if I couldn't perform? Then I'd be back to square one again. Running fingers through my hair, I closed my eyes as I rolled onto my side. I tossed and turned until sunlight began shyly peeking through my curtains. I sat up and pushed my hair away from my face. I'd gone to bed with it wet and now it was a messy tangle of undefined curls.

I didn't have the motivation to try to tame it and instead slowly went about pulling on fresh clothes. I wore white linen pants with a billowy gold undershirt that had a deep neckline, showing off my skin all the way down to the center of my chest. Moving to the short dresser, I ran my fingers along the long drawers. It was about four feet wide and probably the same height, the wood was distressed with age and the top of the dresser was rough against my hands. A gold tray sat on the corner of the dresser, holding various elegant bottles of different sizes. It reminded me of Talon's alchemy room. I picked up a frosted black and gray bottle and removed the glass stopper, waving it under my nose. I was hit with a sharp floral scent with an undertone of something different, a very fresh note. I inhaled deeply and dabbed some of the fragrance at the insides of my wrists and then behind my ears. I replaced the stopper. Turning, I left my bedroom. I was oddly comforted by how quiet the house was. I could hear the odd servant moving around to start their day but for the most part I was making the most noise.

I was instantly relieved that I wouldn't have to face Talon right away. I knew that I would need to eventually. We had things we needed to discuss. I just wasn't excited for the conversation. Before leaving the palace yesterday, Lex had dragged me through the offices that stood separate from the school. I'd been given a bag of books and pencils with various other materials that I hadn't even gone through yet. I held the bag's strap over my shoulder as I opened the front door as noiselessly as I could, closing it the same way once I was on the other side. The carriage was still in front of the house and I watched a tall, thin man tending to the large brown and white horses that were harnessed to the cab.

He started when he saw me, bowing immediately, “My lord?”

“I'd like to go the palace for my lessons.” He nodded quickly and hurriedly opened the carriage door. I gave him what I hoped was a reassuring smile as I climbed in. It felt odd that I had only left home a few days ago. The two day trip, in the end, had taken almost four due to my repeated stopping of the entire group so Eon could rest. I held my bag on my lap and pulled a drawstring so the curtains were pulled up and out of the way. I tried to calm my nerves as I watched the city go by, looking away when I saw an older woman digging through trash. I wasn't naïve enough to think that people didn't struggle, but coming to the city had exposed me to more realities of the world. I chewed my lip as I tried to drive the image of her worn clothes and bare feet from my mind.

Before I knew it, we had arrived and I found myself wandering. I found the school's offices easily. A tired looking man with thinning blond hair searched through a box of neatly organized, thick papers until he found mine. He pulled it out and handed it to me, explaining with scant details how I navigated to Tyren's classrooms.

“He has more than one?” I asked, disbelieving.

“All of the king's school teachers have multiple rooms and most have at least two other Magik users who teach with them. You however, I'm sure will get special treatment.” The man sneered at me as he said it and I felt myself slowly shrink. I shook my head no and raised my chin, staring him down until he looked away, shuffling papers on his desk. I thanked him, an edge to my voice, and then started in the direction he'd given me. A half an hour later I was hopelessly lost. All the hallways and buildings looked the same and I found myself standing in a huge courtyard, trying frantically to remember what the man had told me. Other students were moving through the courtyard, some of them throwing me confused looks. More than a few glared or turned up their noses and I was rapidly descending into panic.

“Okay I can't take it anymore. You look like a lost puppy.” I looked up from my papers and a girl stood in front of me. She was probably at least 5'9”, I was barely taller. She had black hair cropped at her chin with blunt bangs that hung to her thick eyebrows. Deep brown eyes with red and white flecks stared up at me in annoyance and she was dressed in black draped skirts with a burgundy corset. A ruffled white bolero jacket covered her shoulders and I noticed her hands firmly planted on her hips.

“I'm sorry?”

“You. You're pathetic.” I stared at her, eyes wide and she sighed before holding out her hand, “Give me your papers kid.” I handed them over and her unusual eyes scanned the page. “Come with me.” She turned on her heel and stomped in the direction I had come from. I hurried to follow and match her pace as the heels of her boots clicked sharply on the smooth cobblestone walkways.

“W-who are you?”

“My name's Phelti. Lord Alauis.” I looked down at her, surprised, and had to rush as she kept up her fast pace.

“You know who I am?”

“I have your papers, idiot.” I frowned and almost ran her over as she took a turn right in front of me.

“You know where Tyren's rooms are I take it?”

“Of course I do. I'm his second.”

“What's that mean?”

“I teach under him. Don't you know anything?”

I frowned again. Was this girl related to Talon somehow? He's the only other person that had verbally abused me this way, “Will you be the one to teach me then?”

“Probably not. The king told Tyren specifically to teach you. My guess is he'll take all of your studies upon himself.”

“Oh I see.”

“Yes, special treatment right out of the gate for the king's new favorite.” I was silent for the rest of our walk and Phelti didn't seem to mind. Her golden, deep skin was beautiful in the sunlight, but I wondered how she wasn't dying of heatstroke in the sun with her layers of fabric. We came up to a building that I had passed right by earlier. It was simple, built from a tan brick, the double doors were windowless and made of a dark wood. Phelti shoved open the doors and motioned for me to enter. I stepped into what appeared to be a workroom. Long tables stood on either side of the room with various students working on different things. Most of them didn't even look up from their projects and I looked with wonder as a boy with white-blond hair shot bolts of light from his fingers. He was busy connecting two pieces of bent metal together. At a different table a girl with carrot orange hair and a wealth of freckles read a thick book as she absentmindedly spun a pencil, crinkled paper, and a ring above her head. Yet another young boy held his light brown hair in his hands as his eyes looked despairingly down at the red book in front of him.

I had stopped to stare in awe and Phelti marched back to me, waving her hand in front of my face, “Hey lets go! You never seen any other Magik users in your life?”

“Other than my family and two others, no.” I followed her and noticed a soft frown on her features that she shook off for a smile as she looked at the brunette boy.

“Lyme, you'll get it don't give up.” The boy groaned and let his face fall into the book. As we walked passed, Phelti ruffled his hair affectionately, “Well since you've not really been exposed to Magik, I'll do a little explaining as we go. Lyme there, is gifted with the ability to commit whatever information that he reads to memory.”

“As in he doesn't forget it?”

“Exactly. We're working on him being able to take in more and more at a time without getting exhausted. Fallyn, the blond kid, can create electric current. He mostly uses it to craft metal objects. The king eventually wants him and Tyren to create new war machines for the army. That's pretty far down the road as he tires pretty quickly.”

“The girl?”

“Ajul. Just simple telekinesis. She can move objects with her hands. Her gift is actually probably one of the weaker ones we have. The problem is she can't move anything with much weight, and the amount of items she can move at once is pretty limited. She'll get better though.”

“What do you do?”

She sighed softly and gave me a sad smile, “I manipulate the human body. In a way.”

“Oh like a healer?”

“Yeah, sure.”

We had moved through the workroom up a metal, spiraled staircase and now stood in front of a large metal door, with curling wire in a depiction of the city's rings. She knocked hard three times and the heavy door slid easily on a track mounted on the wall. Phelti walked off and I stood nervously in the doorway. Tyren sat on a window seat with about thirty soft looking pillows squished under his lean frame. He wore nothing on his top, his dark skin on full display. Light brown, loose-fitting pants sat low on his hips and his feet were bare. He appeared to be sleeping but when I stepped fully into the room, he waved his hand and the door slammed closed. He stretched out and I tried not to marvel at his gorgeous skin as his abs tensed and then relaxed when he stood. Another unfortunate part about rarely leaving home is that I saw people of different skin colors on the docks occasionally, when I visited, but I really hadn't been exposed much to people of different ethnicity and cultures. Tyren's skin was distracting because I had never seen someone like him up close. He was beautiful. He strolled over to me and came so close we were nose to nose. His yellow eyes had all different colored flecks. Silver, bronze, dark gold and I stood rigid as he studied me.

“You're late.”

“I got lost.”

“You brought Talon here.”

“Uh to the city? Yes. You know Talon?”

“I know of him. Everyone does. He and Phelti are both, special, I suppose you could say.”

“In what way?”

“They're both refugees. Both Lost Ones.” He waved his hand dismissively and I stared at him.

“Phelti is a Lost One?”

“Of course.” He was pulling my books from my bag and throwing them on a nearby worn table, “You can't have control over bone without scaring some people.” I tried to process the thought of that but he was still talking, “And Talon has always been fascinating to me. My teacher had wanted him to come here, but Talon is...distrusting of our king. Or well really the whole country. Perhaps with good reason.”

“The king saved his family though didn't he?”

He gave a harsh laugh, “You give our king far more credit than he deserves. He never does anything out of the kindness of his heart. There's always a price. You'll do well to remember that my lord.” He dragged me around the table and pushed me onto an uncomfortable metal stool. For the next half hour he drilled me on everything Talon had taught me, the frown on his face deepening.

“You know barely anything.”

“I'm aware.”

“We'll start at the very beginning then. Magik at it's simplest is energy, control. It's a part of our very souls, which is why Magik users have such a hard time with those that are powerless. It works it's way down family lines normally, as you know. It's very rare to have someone like you who manifests an entirely new power, but that's only become recent. When we were first gifted it was pretty normal for a new power to pop up. It seems as our relationship with Magik as a species goes on we don't see many new powers. Most by now have been studied, documented, and teaching methods have been created. You however, are obviously different. Especially since you awakened so late in life. So far you've thrown all of our carefully cultivated ideas of the way Magik works, right out the window.” He narrowed his eyes at me and I looked away, “I love it.”

I jerked my gaze to him and his bright smile made me blush, “I'm not used to that being a positive thing.”

“How could it not be? It's incredibly interesting. Anyway, your family has fire and water normally gifted. Run of the mill, strong yes, but endlessly boring. They aren't the only family with these powers, just the strongest. Your brother's ability to throw his fire and somehow create explosions also raises some questions for me. I wonder if he's not the first in your bloodline to manifest something a bit differently. Your sister on the other hand, is entirely unremarkable. I find it almost poetic that you and Talon found each other as he's probably the last one I've heard of to manifest something completely new.”

“Talon said we seem to be opposites, but he didn't really know what to do with that.”

“Of course not. Just because you're strong, and Talon is very much that, doesn't mean you make a good teacher. Although I do approve of the exercise he put you through. He's also, from what I hear, very nice to look at. I almost wish you would've brought him to court instead”

I stiffened as soon as the words left his lips and a knowing smile spread across Tyren's lips, “I had thought I'd seen some kind of reaction when I mentioned his name. Are you two lovers? It would be beautifully fitting really. If you're each other's balance Magik wise that is.”

I knew I had turned red and I tried to hide my cheeks by placing my hands on them. He looked me over before waving his hands, “Of course I don't care who you're sleeping with. It just makes sense that you two would be drawn to each other. Opposite Magiks tend to be. Hence why I'm sure your parents were probably arranged to marry.”

“Again, moving on. I would normally drone on and on about how power manifests when it's ready. How we don't actually know why it chooses to when it does. Generally speaking it happens before one hits their teenage years. None of this applies to you because you're an adult. My guess is that it may possibly be because, again, your gift is new. We've never seen anything like it. As I'm sure you know, a child manifests and then teaching can begin in earnest. Your Magik is an extension of you and in other places it's very...almost spiritual to use your power.”

I nodded as he continued, “That reminds me. Your fighting style will also be an extension of you and your power. You'll need to be enrolled in combat training. The king doesn't like to put all this effort into teaching Magik users if he can't gain something from them. Like I said earlier.”

“Will I have to enlist?”

“You're already passed the age that most of the king's students enlist, but I don't know. That'll be up to him.”

“You said that Talon and I would be drawn to each other because of our Magik, could that lead to other things?”

“I don't want to have the birds and the bees talk with you on our first day lord.”

“No! I don't mean...sexually. I mean like, have you heard of like...a mental connection?”

“I'm not understanding your meaning.”

I waved my hands in front of my face as his eyes drilled into me, “Nevermind.”

“Alright so, there are a few groups of Magik users that we recognize here at the capital. They're organized pretty simply. Makers, body manipulations including healers, those that control materials, those that control elements, and a sort of miscellaneous group that we can't exactly nail down. Like Lyme with his rapid learning.”

“Are you a maker?”

“Yes, Fallyn and I are both makers. I refer to the body manipulators as the blood bank and normally Phelti would be a member there. I'm sure you've seen the building? It's the huge black and white one, navy shutters on all the windows?”

I nodded. When I had been wandering around it was one I had seen in passing, “If that's the group Phelti belongs with why is she with you?”

“She and Ajul are…different. Ajul was almost forced from the school by her original teacher. She wasn't learning fast enough for him. Phelti is...not welcome in a lot of the palace. I'm sure you've seen people's aversion to Talon. I tend to take the students that...don't do well here. The king likes it because I help them connect with their true potential. I like it because we don't throw kids with promise out on their ass because they aren't living up to the palace's made up standards.”

“Okay. What makes someone a Lost One?”

He paused and looked down at me before sighing, “Prejudice mostly. Talon has been in service to the king since he came to this country, and it's the same for Phelti. They've never done anything to earn the way people treat them, but it doesn't seem to matter. They're different. They're gifts are unusual and, like yours, haven't been seen much if at all. Healers can mend the human body and fix things but they aren't creating the actual bone in the way Phelti does. Her fighting style also incorporates weapons made of said bones, which disturbs people. I've heard that Talon's own style is also pretty off putting to witness.”

“It's different for sure.”

He slid the thicker of two books I'd been given toward me. Fundamentals of Magik and Mastering Your Relationship With Your Gift, proclaimed the worn blue green cover. I raised an eyebrow at Tyren and he grinned, “Page one, lord.” I opened the thick book to the first page and grimaced at the tiny cramped writing that spread over the page.

We'll get through about 50 pages today and I'd like you to finish another 50 tonight.” I nodded and listened as Tyren began to read, interjecting every so often to add something to the extremely dry text. After the first hour my chin started to dip as my heavy eyes refused to stay open. Tyren's hand slammed on the desk and I forced down a scream that'd been on my lips, my heart hammering in my chest.

This isn't something you should sleep on lord. It's not exciting, I know, but it's knowledge you need.”

Why do I need to know that the first Magik users had no idea what they were doing? That's obvious. They had no teachers.”

There are a a lot of things we can learn from the past. It shows us why we do the things we do today. It gives us reason. It's not fun but you have to get through it. Why do we have to be physically active and fit?”

So we can handle using our gift.”

Why though? Is it just strength we need? Just endurance? What about your will? Your spirit? Physical strength can help you not deplete all your energy when you use your power, but that's not the only thing that gets tired is it?”

I-I don't know.”

Exactly. You don't know any of the basic knowledge that a Magik user should. You're woefully unprepared, your gift is really in it's infancy and you're running out of time.” I looked up at him and he stopped talking abruptly. Almost as if he'd said something he shouldn't have.

What do you mean?”

Only that you're behind where you need to be and there's a lot of catching up we need to do. So pay attention.” He slammed his hand down on my open book and yet again I jumped. The day seemed to stretch on forever and finally he announced we were finished. Only to then tell me I would need to start combat training today.

 

*

 

I stood in yet another courtyard that sat off the back of the palace, on the very edge of the grounds used for the school. I was now understanding why the palace made up the entire fifth ring of the city. The palace sat in front and the school and combat training yards were behind. The school alone was made out of five different buildings. Tyren's and four others that the king's teachers used for the students assigned to them. Each building focused on a specific type of Magik and Tyren had complained for a solid minute that he wasn't sure why I hadn't been given to the teacher responsible for control over elements. It did make sense but my head was so full of new knowledge that I simply shrugged. The combat grounds were far less fancy than the school. One long building was filled with an armory and held more weapons than I'd ever seen. The other half had a small shop where Tyren and other makers took orders for weapons for new students.

Upon graduation, you'll receive your final weapon. It'll be made to your needs and exact specifications. It's the teachers gift to our students.”

What's yours?”

Tyren smiled for a moment, “I didn't graduate from the king's school. Athel!” Tyren yelled to a short woman with choppy, short, grey hair. Her skin was chestnut colored and her face had deep wrinkles near her eyes and mouth. She wore short white pants and some kind of wrap top, tied at her hip. She didn't smile at either of us as we approached, just looked me up and down, frowning.

What you bring me?” She spoke with a thick accent and I noticed two weapons holstered at her hips.

A new student, Athel. He's brand new to everything. He doesn't even have the most basic training. We've got our work cut out for us.”

Power?” She snapped as she walked around me, poking my arm then my ribs.

I winced and rubbed my side, “Uh light?”

What kind light? You attack with it or just make pretty color?”

I looked at Tyren and he nodded once. I turned away from her and faced a nearby boulder. I took a breath and closed my eyes, hearing Talon's voice in my head ordering me to relax. I lifted my hand and at the last minute decided to try something. I brought it down in a much messier version of Talon's arc. The boulder split in half and I released a breath that I hadn't realized I'd been holding. Tyren grinned and even Athel looked impressed for a second.

I will work with it.” She muttered before turning away. Tyren gave a half hearted bow and left me to her. I followed after the small woman with a smile, completely oblivious to her sadistic ways.

 

*

 

I was dead on my feet. I yawned as I pulled myself from the carriage into the house. Eon waved and I inclined my head as my feet trudged forward. Thankfully I didn't see Lex and I let my bag fall to the ground once I reached the second floor, dragging it behind me.

I felt the bag lift off the ground and then it was pulled lightly from my hand, “Rough day, Sunshine?”

I only groaned in response, shoving open my bedroom door. I forced myself to walk the rest of the way and dropped onto the bed, face down. I heard Talon moving around me and I opened an eye as I felt the bed sink next to me.

Make yourself at home.” I mumbled as I pushed myself up and saw him sprawled across my blankets.

You seem to have no problem doing that in my head.” I felt the normal color drain from my face and then fill with heat as I blushed. In my utter exhaustion I had almost forgotten what I'd done last night. Talon wore a loose, dark gray tunic with long sleeves, his black pants tighter than normal. His hair was pulled back into his normal messy bun, pieces hanging around his face.

Nothing to say Sunshine?”

I-I'm sorry I-”

You're apologizing? I figured it was a mistake.” His eyebrow rose and he twisted his ring on his finger. Shocked, I realized Talon was experiencing a rare moment of insecurity. I stood, stepping closer, and he looked up at me. I took a breath and slid my fingers into his. He looked down at our fingers linked and then back at me.

I don't regret it, if that's what you think.” I admitted, meeting his gaze. My heart beat so loud I was sure he could hear.

Good.” He pulled me to him. As I stood between his legs, he ran his thumb over my knuckles slowly, soothingly. I played with his ring, running my finger over the jagged little triangles.

He sighed and pulled his hands from mine, “So was it that bad?”

I frowned softly at the loss of contact, “It was awful and now I have to read at home too.”

Yours truly is a life of struggle.” He grinned at me and I pushed his shoulder lightly. His fingers wrapped quickly around my wrist and he pulled me even closer. I looked down at him. My eyes were wide and I felt myself breathing harder. I could feel his light breath on my lips. I rested my hands on his shoulders as I tried to work up the nerve to close the distance. He pushed himself up on the bed and brushed his lips over mine. My eyes slid closed as he let go of my wrist. His fingers wove into my hair as he stood, now towering over me. My hands fell to rest on his chest as he tilted my head and pressed his lips more firmly against mine. I felt his tongue run over my lower lip and I hesitantly opened my mouth. His tongue slid past my teeth after passing my lips, slipping over mine. I heard myself moan and my fingers gripped his tunic. He pulled away and I blinked, my brain slow as if it was moving through quicksand.

We shouldn't be doing any of this.”

I frowned and gently released his shirt, “Are you saying you don't want this?”

That's the problem. I can't remember ever wanting something more.”

Copyright © 2020 Demiurge; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 33
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

YESS! Things with Kailan and Talon are heating up... some more hanky panky please!!!


Also, gosh Kailan needs to improve his Magik ASAP, I’m nervous about the remark his mentor said about him running out of time.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

So this is how it’s gonna go? Steam up the windows and step away. What a tease you are!

I like Phelti. She’s got an edge, no question. And her name rearranges to The Lip.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..