Jump to content
    Demiurge
  • Author
  • 4,409 Words
  • 3,104 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Awaken - 9. Departure

*Violence-gore*

We left much later than two days. Almost a month later it was time. The morning was gorgeous. Fall had descended and the grounds were starting to reflect it. Being in a warm climate by the ocean we normally didn't see snow but the temperature still dropped and the trees at the edges of our property had begun to change with the season. They'd shifted slowly in vibrant reds, bright yellows, and warm oranges. Winter along the ocean was right around the corner. The breeze and air had chilled and I found myself more often than not bracing against it. My parents had refused to let me leave without commissioning new clothes. I received brand new cloaks, tunics, outer robes, and even pants. All in top of the line fabrics and breathtaking colors. They had insisted that every garment be in shades of cream, white, or gold. With the exception of a few pairs of pants that they allowed to be a dark umber.
The family crest that had belonged to my father's family for hundreds of years was stitched delicately into any and all sleeves and across the back of the jackets. The crest was a huge phoenix, it's wings spread wide in flight as flames rose and licked around the tips of it's feathers. Our family name sat proudly underneath on an intricate embroidered ribbon. It was obviously a large advertisement meant to send the clear message of who exactly I belonged to. Heavens forbid they not receive credit for creating me.

I stood off to the side, wearing robes of a stunning white brocade, all the stitching and crest in a metallic gold thread. My mother demanded my hair be neatly brushed and coaxed into more defined curls. Lex had been sneaking glances at me all morning but had enough sense to leave me be. Every time he moved past his hands held my hips. Or he'd guide me with a hand on the small of my back. I was trying not to dwell on the increasingly intimate touches but they were starting to get under my skin. I simply smiled at him and tried to convince myself and everyone in a near distance that I didn't want to burn my skin off when his hands lingered.

My mother was boo-hooing and constantly asking if I had everything I would need for the journey. My father surveyed Lex and the servants who would accompany us’ packing. There were nine of them, mostly women and their ages ranged. They had been told to pile things onto our nicest horses and onto the finest carriage we owned. Eon was standing a ways off from everyone, quietly tending the horses before we departed. I had noticed that Lex had tried to joke or simply talk to Eon on numerous instances and my brother didn't give him the time of day. He would turn and busy himself while Lex stared at his back, confused. Mallex seemed to finally be getting the hint and had started leaving Eon be.

I looked over my shoulder at the still sleeping town below and realized what I was truly doing. My eyes skimmed until I landed on The Shift and Talon. I gave myself a moment to wonder what he was doing before I shook it off. Eon, thankfully, pulled me from my thoughts and walked me to the carriage. His mouth was set in a hard thin line and I tried to imagine what was going through my brother's head. He had seemed troubled more often than not and I caught him frowning at me a couple times. Did Eon disapprove of my choice? I remembered a short time ago when the fact that I had even talked to Talon made his blood boil. Now it was almost as if he was pushing me in the man's direction.
I was deemed too valuable to ride outside of the carriage and as I pulled myself into it I grumbled as Lex and Eon rode to the front. They were charged with protecting the wooden vehicle and it's inhabitant. The carriage was made of a light wood I couldn't name and was painted a clean white. I had forgone goodbyes, pushing past my mother and father. I had chosen instead to climb into the richly appointed interior of my transportation for the next two days. The family crest, of course, was smack dab in the middle of the door. Blue and red curtains, the family colors, were draped over the windows, obscuring the inside from view. I sank into the deep merlot colored cushions as someone shut the door. Benches were built into the carriage on either side and I looked at the one across from me as my mind wandered.

*

We'd been traveling for a couple of hours when it happened. The carriage hit a deep rut in the road and we jerked to a jarring stop. I waited patiently, expecting some jostling before we continued on. The cart jolted and my heart flew into my throat when I heard yelling and screaming. Two voices I picked out quickly from all the noise, Mallex and Eon. I shoved the door open and tried to process the scene that met my eyes. It was total chaos. There were screams and sounds that I now know were from fighting and battle. I searched the fray for Lex and Eon. Mallex was grappling with a bushy-bearded redhead who was somehow as big as he was. They were on the ground, each struggling to get the upper hand on the other. Panicking, I searched for Eon. I found my brother's navy jacket in time to see a giant of a man deliver a kick to the center of Eon's chest. The man was almost as tall as Talon and probably wider than Lex. He had a scruffy black beard and a nasty scar running along his shaved head.

Eon's head struck the ground and I watched my brother trying to roll to his side so that he could push himself to his feet. There was blood everywhere. Servants and strangers both littered the ground, dead and dying. We were on a barren plain with hardly any trees and the sky was overcast. There was nowhere to run. I tried to jump from the carriage. I needed to help, but my feet never hit the ground. I was shoved back in, falling back against the seat. A blond man hefted an axe over his head. His free hand tried to restrain my legs as I kicked out fearfully. My foot finally connected and I kicked the side of his knee as hard as I could. There was a sickening snap and the man roared. He lunged forward, swinging the axe down. I threw up my hands but the best I could do was fill the cab with sunlight. I couldn't make it stronger, my mind and nerves were too frazzled. The axe moved down as if slowed somehow. A black arc swung through the arm holding it and I rolled onto the ground as the axe fell onto the seat. The man’s fingers were still wrapped around the handle. The screams coming from my attacker's mouth and the horror on his face would probably haunt me for the rest of my life. He was yanked backward from the carriage and a familiar figure, clad all in black threw him to the ground outside. Talon's eyes were wild and I instantly felt a pang of sympathy for the man. I clawed my way up to standing and pulled myself from the vehicle.

Talon was slowly circling the man, his eyes predatory. He cheerfully spoke to his opponent in the language the stranger had used before and the man's eyes tracked his movements. Talon grinned as the man shouted something at him that I couldn't make out. Talon beckoned to him, eyes full of challenge. His arm leaking blood over the worn old road, my attacker struggled to his knees. He desperately lunged for Talon after producing a small dagger from his waistband. He swung wildly and I felt a tinge of pain for him as Talon easily danced out of range. He shook his head and swung both of his arms in a smooth ring, one following the other. My stomach churned as a wave of shadows sliced through the man, his struggles finally silenced. He hit the ground almost in slow motion, his torso no longer connected to his legs. My head was reeling, I stumbled forward as someone ran past me, pushing me out of their way. I managed to focus on another voice shouting and my attention landed back on Eon.

A black haired fighter, clad like all the others in dirty firs and shirts and pants made of rough tanned fabric, had my brother pinned to the ground. Eon was trying to resist, but the man batted his hands away. Blood covered the side of my brother's face. He must have been dazed from when he hit his head. The man pinned Eon more with a knee on his chest, raising a sword high above it with both hands. I panicked for a moment before taking a deep breath, trying to calm myself before I latched onto every ounce of power that I could. My hand flew up and a jagged line snaked out from my palm. It ripped through the man's back, blood spraying as he fell away from Eon. I had missed, my aim off. Eon painfully pulled himself to his feet, looking out of sorts. He held the injured side of his head and he raised his hand in the man's face. I looked away as I saw a tunnel of flame shoot from Eon's palm.

I was breathing hard, trying to remember anything I had been taught as a child about fighting. I hadn't been taught much. The very barest basics just like with Magik. My parents had always wanted to refrain from moving forward until my power came to the surface. Hand to hand combat was generally combined with your gift as you trained so that one complimented the other perfectly. That being said my parents had truly handicapped me. Eon had sparred with me once or twice but it had always ended with him getting frustrated and stomping off. I wasn't fast enough. I held my hands too low. I should be able to predict my opponent’s next move. I didn't learn the way Eon or Anika did. The Magik teachers I'd had from roughly age 10 to 13 told me as much. Generally in exasperation as they were quitting because how could they teach Magik to someone who didn't have it?

I was ripped from my thoughts by blond hair flashing across my vision. Mallex blew a man away from him and then spun, the wind from his left hand throwing the man to his back. Lex caught the man's axe in mid air and swung it down hard in the middle of the others' chest as soon as his back hit the ground. It seemed almost wrong to me to kill a warrior with their own weapon, but what did I know?

“Lordling, stop day dreaming. Down!” My head whipped around and I dropped to the ground at the same time as Talon whipped his hand through the air where my head had been. His nails were elongated to be a couple of inches long and they looked wickedly sharp. It was almost like back home when he'd attacked Lex but much, much scarier looking. I cried out and crawled away backwards on the cold ground as blood sprayed over me. Yet another man crumpled a few feet away, his sword still raised over his head when he fell. I hadn't even heard him approach me. My eyes widened further and I tried to force out words as a squat man with graying brown braids brought a wicked looking blade down on Talon's shoulder. Horror crept over me as Talon was forced to one knee, blood already running down from where the metal ripped through his skin.

Gezackt?” A grin with malicious glee appeared on Talon's face and I watched every ounce of the Talon I knew flee from his eyes. He spun on his knee and his shadows ripped through the man's knees, cutting his legs in half. Talon gracefully rose from the ground and stepped toward the despairing stranger. The man was rapidly mumbling words and trying to get away and I closed my eyes as Talon raised his hand. The man's words stopped abruptly. I was full on panting now, my hands covering my ears as the screams and sounds of carnage overwhelmed me. I was hauled to my feet and Lex caught my hands as I cried out, flailing. My resolve disintegrated as I met his worried green eyes, blood smeared over his cheekbones that I hoped wasn't his. He held me in his arms and I collapsed, letting myself be comforted in a moment of weakness. I gathered myself as fast as I could and searched the now blood soaked road for my brother. I watched him push himself to his feet with great trouble and grimace before limping over to us. The left side of his face was caked with blood and his eye was red as well as it leaked into it. I noticed Talon flick blood from his fingers twenty feet away, studying something he held in his hands. After a moment I made out the last man's curved sword. The edge wasn't smooth, it had cruel looking teeth down the whole length. My eyes strayed up to the gash in Talon's shoulder and I covered my mouth. His tunic and the skin underneath were coated with drying blood, the skin eaten up looking and angry, but he seemed unfazed.

He shoved the blade into his boot and faltered for a moment, pain finally winning over his features, “Never a dull moment with you little lord.”

“Why are you here? You were never invited to join this party,” Lex spat.

Talon straightened and rubbed blood soaked fingers on his tunic, “I resent that you thought you could all have fun without me.”

I shook my head, “We don't have time for this. How do we know there aren't more coming? We have to go.”

Talon looked down at me, slight surprise in his gaze, “The lordling is right. My guess is that he's not a well kept secret anymore. Our new friends and other countries will want him dead. Can't pad the Syrin army with a Magik user that powerful.”

“You know where they're from?” Lex and Talon were working quickly, securing horses, both men looking over their shoulders.

“Talon you spoke to one of them in their language. Who are they?” Eon rumbled out as he lowered himself onto the carriage steps, his eyes dazed and unfocused.

Talon looked over at my brother, his eyes seeming to catalog every tiny detail of how Eon was moving and the wound on his head, “Dleth.”

“Aren't you from Dleth?” I asked quietly, almost dissolving into tears as I herded the only two remaining servants around Eon and into the carriage. We'd lost so many.

I was once.” I shook my head again, surveying the condition of our party. Two out of nine servants had survived, Eon was not alright. Talon, though injured, seemed to not be slowed down at all and Lex also appeared fine.

“Eon you're hurt. Get in the carriage.” My brother started to disagree, “No, you can barely stand. We find somewhere to camp and then I'll tend to that head wound. Talon, Lex, you will ride outside and keep watch. I can't deal with losing anyone else today.”

“Kalian, liebe, I don't think I trust Talon to ride out front with me. What if-”

“I don't think I asked Lex. I won't put Eon on a horse. Our options are limited.”

Talon nodded once, “He's right Mallex. The man can barely hold his own head up. You wanna travel on a main road with someone like that? We'd be sitting ducks.”

“No one ask-”

“I won't hear it. Eon will ride in the carriage. Talon will ride with you. We need to go.” They all looked surprised at me. I wiped the beginnings of tears from my eyes and swallowed. I again motioned for Eon to get into the carriage and I was flooded with relief when he listened, his movements awkward and slow.

“Keep an eye on him. Don't let him fall asleep while we search for somewhere to camp.” Talon mumbled as he walked to the front where they'd left the horses. He smoothly pulled himself up and guided the white and black horse forward, his back to me. I shook my head. Why had he come? How had he managed to show up just when we needed him? How’d he get here if not on a horse?

I jumped as Lex turned my face to him, my eyes almost popping out of my head as he pressed his lips to mine, “I couldn't get to you. I hate Verloren but thank the Gods' he appeared when he did.” I pulled away, uncomfortable, and registered dark eyes averting their gaze as I looked up. Talon had no right to judge me if I eventually chose to be with Lex. Even though the thought made my heart race and anxiety swell. I'd seen first hand that he had no problems taking partners. I climbed up behind Eon, ignoring Lex's frown at my dismissal. He closed the door behind me and my attention returned to my brother and the two shaking servants that occupied the bench across from him. I felt instant sympathy for them. They had been forced to come on this trip with me. True, I had known most of them my entire life and was even closer to them sometimes than my own family, but they were still servants. Both females, the younger of the two, Dima had been a close friend when we were children. She'd showed me the ins and outs of the estate and I had teased her about her gigantic crush on my brother. Even now she looked at him, worry staining her pretty freckled face. Her brown eyes turned to me and I offered a weak smile.

“Are either of you hurt?”

Her hands nervously flew to her short strawberry blond braid and she shook her head. The other servant, a woman in her 50's, stared ahead, her eyes wide. Eyah had taken care of us when we were babies and as we had gotten older she had taken over the main kitchen command. Her weathered hands shook and her wrinkled face was frozen in shock. She had short curly gray hair with a brown head scarf holding it away from her face.

I crouched in front of her the best I could in the confined space and took her hands in mine, “Eyah?”

She startled and gasped but I held her hands still, “L-lord Kalian.” It was as if she hadn't even known I was there.

“Eyah I know you're scared, but are you hurt?” She shook her head and I squeezed her hands before turning to Eon. Shrugging off my outer robe I ripped the long hem of my tunic and then again ripped the smaller piece of fabric in half. I gently dabbed at Eon's head as we finally started moving again.

“Lord Kalian? Please forgive me, but the stranger who saved us? Who is he?” Dima's voice was soft and quiet but I detected a note to it that suspiciously sounded like admiration.

“Talon Verloren of The Shift.”

“Truly?” I nodded, focusing on cleaning around the rough looking gash in Eon's head right above the ear.

“He was amazing.” She breathed and I paused for a moment before shaking it off and deciding I was giving into jealousy again. Talon had been amazing. It was a fair statement. Refocusing yet again, I was unhappy that the cloth barely seemed to be doing any good.

“Head wounds just bleed a lot.” Eon murmured, “you saved my life.”

“I missed is what I did. We were fortunate that you were still able to fight.” His hair was caked in blood and I was no longer making any progress.

“No, Kalian,” It was my turn to jump as he caught my hand, “you saved my life. Don't devalue it. Without you I'd be laying on the ground back there, an axe embedded in my skull.

“I don't want to think about that.”

“We really don't deserve you, huh?” Eon's smile was so bright and genuine that I almost lost my careful balance, one knee on the bench. My brother had done awful things. He'd joined in tormenting me or ignoring me...but I loved him. Finally earning his recognition embarrassed me and I wasn't sure how to handle it. It filled me with an unfamiliar emotion, pride.

“I'll be able to clean it up better once we stop and maybe have access to water.”

“Thank you.”

“Do you really think other countries are going to try and come for me?”

“It's already happened. I think there's a lot of truth to what Talon said. I'm sure that in Syrin it'd also be wise to watch your back. Things are different at court and I don't think you've ever really been taught how to handle yourself in an environment like that.”

“Let's be honest, is there any environment I was prepared for? All the way from Dleth though? That's a five day ride if you don't stop. How could they have known where we'd be?”

Eon shrugged. His eyes looked heavy, but I could tell he was trying to force himself awake, “Could be that someone tipped them off that we'd be eventually traveling and they waited until we crossed their path. This is the most direct way to the capital.”

His head dipped and I took his hand, “Do you remember when we were little and you'd bring me presents from your trips to Syrin?”

His blue eyes focused a bit and he frowned, “Cheap trinkets. You should have been brought along.”

“I loved them and I still have every one. You know which one is my favorite?”

“No idea.”

“It's a little pot. When you push a button, little paper flames shoot up and wiggle.” I smiled and released his hand. I cupped my hand, wiggling the fingers of the other hand in the center to demonstrate.

“It lit up didn't it?” He thought for a second, “Orange?”

“Yes!” I beamed at him, “It always made me think of you.”

“Not many positive things to think of.”

“While it's true you were an ass to me, I still idolized you Eon. You're my big brother.” A hand knocked on the carriage and I pulled back a blue swath of fabric. Talon didn't look at me, just pointed.

“About a half mile and we'll make camp. There's some trees and a clearing so we can get off the road. Mallex rode ahead to make sure it was safe.” I nodded and he pulled forward again. I dropped the cloth and sighed.

“Have you spoken with him since you left his house?”

“There wouldn't have been time even if I wanted to.”

“Two months isn't enough time? You don't want to? I don't believe any of that Kalian.” I didn't answer, doing my best to prevent a blush from spreading over my cheeks. We stopped a bit later and Mallex opened the door. We helped Eon out and I supported some of his weight as we planted him on a nearby patch of grass.

“There's a stream nearby.” Lex curled my hair around his fingers tenderly and I pulled my head away as I headed in the direction he pointed.

“Watch him and I'll be right back. And Talon?” He turned from where he was securing the horses, “Don't go anywhere. I see that shoulder.” He rolled his eyes and tried to ignore me, his hand patting the horse's side.

“Did you hear me or do you also have a head injury that we need to address?”

“Yes, my lord, I heard you.” I ignored the obvious bait and made my way through the waist-high bushes and brush, following the sound of running water. I made sure no one had followed me as I stooped by the water's edge. Now away from everyone my clamped down emotion sprung forth and I choked on a sob. I covered my mouth as my body shook. I'd never even left home let alone been exposed to events like what I'd earlier witnessed. My gorgeous clothes were splattered with blood and ruined. As I washed the grime from my hands and face the water came back red. For a moment, I was terrified that I had been injured. No pain anywhere, though, the blood wasn't mine. That didn't help my stomach. I'd almost killed someone today. I'd helped Eon end a life. I knew now why I had been so sheltered. I wasn't sure if I was strong enough for this world.

“Your eyes are red.” Talon slid down to crouch beside me, “Ruins your leader act you've got going on.”

“I'm not a leader. I cannot tell you how many times I almost lost my breakfast back there.”

“So? It's normal to react that way to violence. It's okay that you don't enjoy it.”

“You seem to enjoy it enough for both of us.”

Talon shrugged, lazily washing blood off of his hands and picking at his nails, “I've known violence my entire life. Might as well enjoy it. It's a necessary evil.”

“What made you come?” A troubled expression darkened his features and he stared into the stream.

“I don't know. I woke up in a panic. I didn't know what, but something felt wrong. I had every intention of letting you go. Better for everyone that way, really. Instead, I followed you. I guess it was a good decision.”

“When are you leaving? I doubt you're traveling to Syrin with us.”

“Am I not invited Lordling?”

I looked over at him, his signature grin playing over his features. It melted a bit of the shell I'd put around myself but I shook the feelings off, “We lost a lot of people today. Lex is the only one we have left that can fight. We need you. I don't want to lose anyone else.”

I need you.

He looked disappointed, “Of course. How practical.”

Next chapter is written and I am trying to keep a pretty frequent update schedule but I just threw away the entire chapter after because I hated it. So bare with me 😅
I appreciate everyone's time and comments🖤
:thankyou:
 
liebe-love
gezackt-serrated
Copyright © 2020 Demiurge; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 22
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Excellent Chapter. As  said before you are a great story teller. The fight and the way you wrote it, again proved my point.  As drsawzall said,  " did not see that coming". I can't wait for the next chapter.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

So much for powerful magik users? Eon and Lex seemed pretty lame if they couldn't take care of some bandits.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

Well damn, I love me a good fight scene, and that one was short, but bloody good!

Nothing more delightful than a man with opposable blades for hands and a dark disposition - Talon, you adorable shadowbeast you, if things don't work out with LaserBoy, feel free to hmu, 'k?

Poor Eon, it's hard coming to terms with what an utter eejit you've been your whole life *and* still being adored despite everything...

Pity twatface didn't trip over a loose appendix or something. Oh well, maybe next time, yeah?

Kalian my lad, nice to see you taking a spot of control there - very well done! Can't be easy turning overwhelm into overlording but hey, we do what we must.

Phoenix huh? That means Talon's crest is a dragon, right? Right???

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..