Jump to content
    Demiurge
  • Author
  • 11,923 Words
  • 5,827 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Awaken - 29. Aggression

***Gore, violence, uncomfortable adult situations, implied non-con, Lex existing***

I apologize for the time jumps. Bare with me

The smell of blood assaulted me from every direction. Blades clashed and people cried out. My chest was heaving as I reached one of the carriages. It wasn’t without trouble. My upper half was covered in blood. Some of it mine, but most belonged to others. My mouth hurt and blood dripped down my back from a solider that got in a hit. I had saved myself last minute, throwing my hands out and blasting him out of existence with pure light. I was bone-weary, not used to using my Magik so much. I leaned against the side of the carriage and dragged the tether to me. Where was he? I had felt him continuing to weaken. If I couldn’t do this, I didn’t know where it left us. Fingers tangled in my hair and my head was yanked back. I caught myself, hands braced on the wood, before my head was smashed into the carriage. I jerked my head free and struck out with light. A shrill scream and someone dropped in front of me. There was chaos abound, but as my eyes focused on the dark sapphire gaze of my sister, everything stopped. She wore her normal robes, metal armor peeking out from underneath navy fabric. Her shoulder was a mess, torn into by my attack. Her hair hung into her eyes and she looked more unstable than I had ever seen.

“We’re supposed to bring you back. Lex gave me orders.” Her face fell into her normal sneer as she stood slowly, “But it’s not my fault if you attacked me. A lady has to defend herself.” Water swirled around her hands and I looked around. I didn’t have time for this. I took inventory of my friends. Amaris was barely standing, her left side coated in blood. Her whip still struck out, keeping anyone from getting too close. Hanja now stood over Tyren, panting, his hair loose and a deep gash above his right hip. My teacher was terrifyingly still, his eyes closed, weapon laying beside him. His face was turned away from me and I couldn’t see if his chest rose. Wren and Eon were faring the best. Wren still cutting down anyone who got too close. His glasses were missing, eyes darting all around him as he snarled. Eon, though wounded, remained on his feet. As I watched he kicked a man in the chest hard. The man flew back as Eon blocked another attack aimed for his head.

“Do you see it finally? You’re losing.” Water sliced into the wood behind me. I had barely dodged in time.

“Anika, please don’t make me do this.” I pleaded.

“Do what? You think you can kill me?” She laughed, high pitched and cruel as I rolled to avoid more water. The carriage behind me groaned as the water again sliced through it. If Talon was in that carriage and she cut it in half…

“Stop please.” I heard a cry and swallowed hard as Amaris went down. What little time we’d had was running out. Anika raised her hand again and I made my decision. I darted forward. She had never been that interested in hand-to-hand combat. Her water whipped around me, small cuts forming all over my skin. I had made it too close. I gripped one of her wrists with both of mine and twisted. She screamed and I felt pain bloom in my shoulders as water cut across my already damaged skin. I yanked harder and heard bones snap. She fell to the ground clutching her arm. Turning, I dug my fingers into the wood slats that the carriage near me was built from. It was old and basic, lacking the extravagance of the ones in Syrin. I hoisted myself up and clumsily scrambled on top. I couldn’t see Amaris anymore. Hanja was flagging, exhaustion stretching his features tight. Eon had made it closer to Wren, and they glared at the soldiers surrounding them. There were so many. There was no way we won here. We would all die.

My legs shook with fatigue as I watched Lex blow his own soldiers out of the way, working his way in Hanja’s direction, sword in hand. My fingers curled and my jaw clenched. I called my power to me, feeling it swell. I took deep breaths and let it slip over me, a picture in my mind. I willed it to obey, and warmth blossomed in my chest. Light jumped and ran over the ground. It ran in circles around the two teachers and Hanja eyed it suspiciously. I watched his body sag in relief when the light sprang up around them. A circle of pure Magik. A soldier nearby attempted to strike it with an axe. He didn’t make a dent and he was thrown away violently. I sought out Amaris. I couldn’t even see her. There was a group of soldiers kicking downward, stomping. Rage flared and more light answered my call. As it spun up around her, the men stomping were ripped to shreds. She lay there, unmoving, beaten, bruised, and bloody. I glanced to Wren and Eon who both met my eyes. Eon threw himself to the side, diving into the circle around Wren. The white-haired man dragged Eon to him and nodded at me. Once again, light rushed to them, exploding into yet another shield.

“Alright, alright, now let’s all calm down.” Mallex had turned back to me as he called out, holding his hands up placatingly while still holding a sword. He rerouted and strolled in my direction as if he weren’t walking through a battlefield. I was panting raggedly. I couldn’t hold these shields forever. I was already worn out. He walked until he stood only twenty feet away from me. His eyes dipped to Anika who scrambled up and slid behind him.

“Hurting your own sister, Kalian? That doesn’t seem like you. I think you spent far too much time with Verloren.” He clicked his tongue at me, and I took a shaky breath as I fell to my knees. Green eyes skimmed over the shields around my friends as they wavered. He smiled sweetly at me.

“Now, now liebe. Don’t strain yourself. You’ve all made traitors of yourselves today. I would hate for you to tire yourself trying to protect them from the inevitable.” He sheathed his sword, and the battlefield fell silent. Most everyone’s attention had fallen to us. Wren and Eon stood together; Wren’s bloody mouth pulled back to bare his teeth as he watched Lex. Eon’s head was held high, blood spattered across his serious face. Hanja held Tyren, stroking his cheek gently, ignoring everything else as he knelt on the ground. Amaris had yet to move, and I tried to see if her chest rose and fell. My eyes skimmed over the road, our makeshift battlefield. We’d killed so many. We’d fought so hard.

“What are you going to do? If you continue fighting here, they all die. No exceptions. Come back to Syrin, come back to me. Anders is willing to offer you forgiveness in exchange for your complete support and loyalty. Otherwise,” I saw his jaw clench, mouth curling, “I am to execute you all right here.”

“Where is he?” My hands shook visibly now and a soft smile curved Lex’s lips as he noticed.

“He’s here. Your group did a fantastic job of narrowing that down. Impressive really. You’ll have to tell me how.” My eyes darted between the carriages.

“I extended the deal, there is no negotiating.” Lex’s smile had fallen, and he inched closer as my arms started to lower, “You can’t hold that forever Kalian. Although, Anders will be thrilled. You’re far stronger than we thought.”

“They won’t be hurt if I agree?” My whole body was shaking, and Lex’s smile grew.

“Not immediately. They will survive today. Anders extended immunity for you only.” He tilted his head to the side, “Come now, you aren’t a warrior, liebe. This isn’t you.” He realized his mistake when I steadied my arms and the failing shields jumped back up.

“You have no idea who I am.” I narrowed my eyes and his green ones again slid over the area around us before they fell on mine.

“As I said. I made the offer. You are running out of time to accept it.”

“Just kill them already! They’re all traitorous garbage!” Anika shouted from behind him. Mallex’s eyes rolled, and he ignored her.

“All of them? All of them will survive today? Including Talon?” I gasped out as my shields faltered again, the edges transparent.

“You have my word.” Lex’s grin was predatory and triumphant. He knew I had no other options.

“They won’t be hurt anymore, and we’ll be allowed to treat our injuries?” Tremors ran through my arms, and I was gasping for breath, my fingers twitching.

“If that’s what it takes for you to come willingly.” I watched Anika glare at his back, her arm held tight to her chest.

“F-fine.” I released my Magik and had to catch myself from falling off the carriage roof. I lay against the rough wood, breaths tearing in and out of my lungs.

“Take them. They should all fit on a cart, throw the injured ones on a separate one.” I pushed myself up in time to see them lift Amaris roughly, her hand hanging limply. Hanja narrowed his eyes as they approached him. He stood with Tyren in his arms, glaring at anyone who got too close. Wren and Eon eyed the men around them and the soldiers hesitated, most staring at the duo with fear in their eyes.

“All of you will stand down. Take them to the extra carts.” Lex ordered, approaching the carriage I lay on. He disappeared for a moment below me, hidden from view. Then fingers gripped my wrist and he dragged me from the top. I barely winced as my cheek scraped against the rough wood.

I struggled in his arms and he used my hair to rip my head back, “You promised to come willingly. I don’t have to be nice and allow your friends to be healed or even survive for that matter.” I winced and went limp, letting him guide me to a horse that was brought to him. He motioned for me to climb up and I did, glaring when he swung up behind me. His arms slipped around my waist and he gripped the reins. I felt his breath on my neck and cringed away as his mouth pressed to my skin.

“I told you, you were mine. You thought you got away with it didn’t you?” He chuckled in my ear. Amaris was thrown onto a cart, Hanja climbed in and gently laid Tyren next to her. To my surprise, he started working on the female assassin first. I shook my head. He had to be exhausted. His hair hung in a sweaty curtain around his face. Wren and Eon shrugged arms off and climbed onto the same cart, my brother shifting Tyren around. He rolled up something to put under his head. Wren kicked at a soldier who tried to shove Tyren’s feet farther in. Wren’s eyes were a deep red and a low guttural growl left him. The soldier instantly backed off. We were still together. We were going to be okay.

“T-Talon needs healing right away.” He had urged the horse into a trot as he made sure his orders were followed. He didn’t seem to care that they hadn’t been split up.

“It’s almost dusk and you’ve made quite the hole in my battalion. We’ll have to make camp.” I swallowed and hoped he could wait that long.

 

 

We were still in the forest, which made it hard for a small army to camp. Fortunately, my group had thinned Lex’s force out for him like he’d said. He kept me within arm’s reach and Anika followed him around like a wounded puppy. Hanja was dead on his feet, sweat dripping from his face, his hair stuck to it in messy tangles. Amaris was conscious. She’d been severely beaten, her face purple, swollen, and bloody. She looked as normal as possible now. Her face still had faint bruising, however. Eon had told me that she’d also had a large amount of internal bleeding and trauma. Her eyes met mine, a pained smile tugged at her features. Tyren had been slashed across the chest, arm, and face. He’d lost a lot of blood and there wasn’t much Hanja could do about it.

“I c-can’t make blood. It’s…It’s up to his body now.” The wound on his chest was closed and healed, a thin line the only evidence that it had ever been there. His arm hadn’t been serious and would only need stitches and a bandage. Hanja took a ragged breath. He pushed his sweaty hair away from his face. Then he gathered it into a messy ponytail while he struggled to collect himself.

“Wow, aren’t you talented? It makes sense that you’re a teacher.” Lex grinned. He was an unwelcome guest in our group. Wren was still panting with rage, his pink irises almost lost entirely to blown out pupils. Lex’s arms were wrapped around my shoulders and he leaned his head against mine.

“Hanja…I hate to ask…” He ran his fingers gently over Tyren’s cheek, then he stood.

He turned to me and he gave me a small smile, “I owe you both our lives. I will give whatever I have left to ensure Talon makes it through the night.”

“Where is he Lex?” I squirmed out of his arms and spun to look at him. He made a great show of sighing and smiling down at me pityingly.

“Yes, yes. Come on. I’ll take you to the freak. Get ready, liebe. He’s in rough shape.” I waited and hooked my arm around Hanja’s waist. He stumbled slightly and tried to calm his breathing. I didn’t know how he was even conscious. We all had injuries, but we knew where the focus had to be. We made our way to what was once a white painted carriage. The paint was chipped and peeling. Lex yanked open the door in the back and stepped aside. I wanted to run forward, but I slowed my steps as Hanja staggered again. It was cramped inside and dark.

“Do you have any light left?” Hanja rasped as I helped him climb in.

“I don’t know how long I’ll be able to hold it.” He nodded and I lifted my palm. Light bloomed in the tiny carriage and Hanja took in a sharp breath. The air in my lungs seemed stuck and I fell forward, the light bobbing. It was Talon, somewhere underneath all the bruising. He wore only his torn leather pants, feet and torso bare and deathly pale. His hair had been shorn off and there were little cuts all over his scalp, his nose rings had been torn down his nose. Everywhere I looked there was shredded skin or discoloration. His arms were broken in multiple spots, yellow and purple bruises stretching across him. His legs were a mess as well, his shin bone protruding on his left leg. His hands were mangled and so swollen they didn’t look like fingers anymore.

“Multiple fractures on limbs, heavy internal bleeding, punctured lung, excessive bruising and swelling, spine and neck fractures, orbital bones crushed, infection, so much infection, dehydration, starvation-“

“Hanja, please, I know you’re not trying to, but please. I-I can’t…” I was covering my mouth as my body heaved. My hand was shaking and the light flickered wildly. He threw me an apologetic look as his hands hovered over the ruined body. The carriage reeked of blood and waste. Death. It smelled like death.

“He was healed every now and then. A little. When we had time. You’ll understand we were busy.” I heard Lex supply from outside, laughter in his voice. I closed my eyes and bit down on the anger that screamed inside me. He would pay for this. So would Anders. They’d pay for everything they’d done to my friends.

“I will be able to do more with rest, but I think I should be able to stabilize him.” I nodded gratefully at Hanja and watched his hands hover over Talon, moving over every inch of him. We were both failing, however. Hanja’s head dipped a few times, but he powered through. I heard bones cracking and jumped when Talon took a painful sounding breath. I let my head fall back against the wood as I struggled to light our surroundings for Hanja. Finally, he sat back and gulped for air.

“B-bones are mostly healed. His lung is repaired. He shouldn’t be crippled anymore. There’s still so much, but at least he should be able to breathe normally now.” Talon’s shin was now blessedly normal looking, no bone in sight. His hands were still a mess, but I couldn’t fault Hanja. I was sure he’d targeted the worst areas. I helped him out of the small space, and we leaned heavily on each other.

“I need a bowl and towels Lex.” I paused and squared my shoulders as Hanja passed out. He wasn’t light and I grit my teeth as I supported his full weight.

“They’ll be here when you get back. Just remember this Kalian. I don’t have to let my enemies get the care they need. I also don’t have to give you time with him, but I might as well. Healed or not, he’ll be dead soon.” He grinned at me and lunged forward, lips smashing to my bruised cheek. After that, I helped Hanja back to our group. They looked like they were barely holding on. Tyren’s eyes were partially open, and he shifted in discomfort. I laid Hanja next to him and he seemed to calm, only having enough strength to grip the other’s hand. Amaris looked haunted. Her eyes were distant. Eon was leaned back against the cart wheel, his eyes half closed. He had blood dried on his shoulder. Wren was the only one who looked alert.

“We should kill them all.” He growled.

“We don’t have the means, Wren. Most of us are half dead from exertion, injured, or out of commission.” Eon’s head fell to his chest to support my claim. Wren’s eyes ran over him, a frown pulling his lips down.

“I’ve never seen a regular human fight that way. He’s amazing.” Wren’s voice was soft.

“High praise.”

I gave him a tired smile and his gaze sharpened, “Talon?”

“It’s bad, but Hanja stabilized him. It’s so bad Wren.” I let my head fall into my hands as dread set in.

“He’s alive. We all are. Thanks to you. I wouldn’t have been able to make that choice.” Wren’s hands pulled gently at mine.

“You saved my life Kalian. I was dead. It was just a matter of minutes. Hanja told me. You saved Tyren too. We’d all be dead now if not for you.” Amaris’ voice was raspy, her eyes wet with tears she forced down. I gave her a tight smile and rubbed my face.

“You should all rest. Even you Wren. If you can.” I met their eyes before I pushed myself to stand.

“What about you?” Amaris frowned.

“I have to go take care of him.” They both seemed to accept that, and Amaris sunk down. Wren slid closer to Eon hesitantly. I stumbled a few times on my way back to Talon. I felt eyes follow me across camp and heard some less than kind comments thrown my way. There was a bowl of water and rags on the ground next to a wheel and I scooped them up. Using my hand against the carriage to balance, I opened the door.
I slid my supplies in first and then climbed in after them. After casting my light about, I found a small lantern and matches. I burned myself twice trying to light the lantern, but I barely felt it. I tried not to focus on the extensive damage that remained. My fingertips lightly ran over his scalp and I listened to his breathing for a few minutes, leaning forward to carefully press my cheek to his chest. His heartbeat was slow, but it was there. I sat back and dragged the bowl and towels to me, working by the dim light. I cleaned his face and head first, trying to be gentle around his eyes. I worked down slowly, freeing pale skin of grim and blood. Next, I had to work his leathers down his legs which was a struggle. There wasn’t a way to do it without jostling him. I winced at the soft moan of pain that escaped his lips as I finally got them off. They’d caught on his broken ankle and I felt guilt immediately for manhandling him. As I scrubbed his skin, changing out towels, I’m not sure I was fully aware of what I was doing.

I had shut off part of my brain. I don’t think I could have made it through this day without doing so. Coupled with exhaustion, I was finished. I wasn’t sure how I still moved at all. There was no getting the leathers back on, so I pulled off the vest Potlyne had made me, draping it over his lower half. The nights were getting cold, and a touch to his skin confirmed he was freezing. I looked around the carriage. He’d been covered with a blanket originally and I shuffled around. My fingers found it in the dark. It was filthy, and not just from Talon. No wonder there’d been so much infection. I threw it aside and used the wall to stand, holding the lantern out. There wasn’t much in here. Some jars of questionable material, bandages, and folded fabric. I pulled it down and shook out another blanket. This one was by no means clean, but it would have to work. I covered him, freezing when he shifted and groaned.

I laid down, trying not to bump him, and closed my eyes. Exhaustion took over and I slipped into sleep.

 

Fingers combed gently through my hair and I opened my eyes hesitantly. Strong hands cupped my face, and I heard a soft laugh that sent butterflies flapping through my stomach. There was light all around us, soft and warm.

“I tried to talk myself up so high, and then you were the one who saved me. Fuck. I’m never going to hear the end of this.” That laugh again and grey eyes met mine. My vision blurred and I gripped at his shoulders as a sob tore through me. This wasn’t happening in the real world. I was aware, but hearing his voice, feeling him against my fingers. I didn’t care. Said fingers worked through my hair again and lips pressed gently up my neck. He was mumbling softly to me, sweet little nothings only shared between the two of us.

“We lost. I have no idea what to do.” I wiped my eyes and looked up at him. His thumb rubbed over my cheekbone and I saw that his hair was short here as well, close to his scalp, but minus the little knicks, “Did they have to take your hair?”

He laughed, loud and bright, “Ya know, I had hardly noticed. It’s fine. Now you can really appreciate my jawline.” His fingers rubbed over his head and he grinned down at me before his smile slowly fell, “Listen, I’m sure you saved a lot of lives today, mine included beautiful. You’re the only thing that kept me here.”

“Lex won though. Anders won.” I frowned up at him.

“Did they? We’re together. All of us. That’s a bad move on their part. They’re underestimating us. They’re underestimating you.” He pushed up the corners of my mouth and I coughed on a laugh, my tears drying. He tucked me into his chest, and I marveled at the fact that I could smell him. I inhaled deep and pressed my cheek against him, my hands gripping his back.

“That’s not nearly long enough.” He sighed and I looked up questioningly. He smiled softly down at me, pressing his lips against mine, “The pain is still there, love. I can’t hold this any longer. I’m too tired.” His mouth pressed harder to mine and then he pulled back. All around us the light was dimming, black spiderwebbing toward us.

“Sleep babe. As soon as I’m conscious and physically able, I swear, you aren’t walking for a week.” It hurt to have him fade from me, but I couldn’t help the smile that spread across my face. He really was a nuisance.

 

*

 

A hand shoved me, I startled awake and met Anika’s glaring face. Her wrist was healed, and she was glaring daggers between me and Talon.

“Lex wants you out here.” Nothing could dampen my mood as I crawled out. I don’t know if he’d meant to, but I had latched onto my newest endearment, love. He loved me. No one could take that away from me, least of all my scowling sister or jackass ex-fiancé.

“You broke my wrist.” She said it accusingly, like I hadn’t felt the bones snap in my hands. As if I hadn’t committed to the movements required.

“I know.” I was still smiling, rubbing circles on my chest as I self-soothed. I had needed that more than I knew.

“You don’t even feel bad?” She turned to me, face full of disgust.

“You were trying to kill me, and you were in my way. I did what I needed to.” I stared into her eyes, “I will do it again too. If I must. Don’t forget that.” She looked away from me and marched toward a blue tent, larger and more elaborate than the others in the camp. A guard held the flap aside and I followed my sister inside. Lex was only half-dressed, pants on his lower half. There were new scars on his tanned skin, and I watched Anika practically salivate at all the thick muscle on display. He was in the process of shaving and I had a vivid fantasy of dragging the straight razor through his neck, blood spraying across the tent.

I shook it off and crossed my arms, “Did you want something or did you miss my company?” I barely recognized my own voice. It was low and there was an edge to it.

“While I always miss your company Kal,” He finished and wiped his face and hands, turning to me, “we have business to discuss. I know, rather early for it, but we need to be on our way soon.” When I didn’t answer he continued, “I see that most of your friends are vertical now, and Verloren appears to still draw breath, unfortunately. See you both doubted me, but I’ve done everything I promised. Talon will die at my hand, you will be mine, and I will accomplish everything else I’d planned.” I caught a sharp look from Anika. How could she stand by him when he obviously didn’t care about her?

I tapped my fingers on my arm impatiently and rolled my eyes, “Do you have anything to say that’s worth my time?”

“Your friend will not be healing Verloren anymore. You will also not be sleeping in that filthy carriage. You will sleep in my tent from now on.” Anika gripped my arm as I lunged forward. I jerked my arm from her grasp, glaring at her in warning.

Her eyes widened and she stepped away from me, “He’s like a feral beast now. There’s no fixing him Lex.” Lex’s head had tilted back, and he looked down at her, annoyance furrowing his brow. She moved to him, hands splayed out over his chest, “Please, listen to me. You can accomplish everything with me at your side. You don’t need Kalian.” He raised a brow and stared at her until she slowly backed away, his arms crossed over his chest and she winced. It seemed that I wasn’t the only one who’d been exposed to Lex’s less gentle side. I almost felt bad for her, almost.

“You can’t expect Talon to heal the rest of his injuries naturally. It would take months. Who are you to tell me where I’ll sleep? I will sleep wherever I want to.” He pushed Anika out of the way to walk over to me.

“I’m well aware of how long healing takes. Do you think I’m stupid? Do you think I’d really let the foreigner heal Talon until he’s full strength? Do you want to know how many men I lost capturing him? You will sleep where I decide, or your friends will suffer for your disobedience.” He gripped my wrist and pulled me to him. I lashed out, slicing across his cheekbone with my Magik. I yanked my wrist from his grip and scowled at him. He held his cheek, blood spilling over his fingers. He shook his hand out and smiled at me again, his eyes crazed.

“I had hoped you would be a little bitch about this. Pick one of them. 30 lashes. My choice would be the girl. She doesn’t listen well. Guards!” My heart began to pound in my chest as two men rushed in.

“Decide Kalian. Now. Which one? The white-haired little psycho could probably take it.” His smile widened and he gripped my chin. I was panicking. My fingers flexed and I tried to figure out an alternative. How could I get out of this?

“Lex please, please don’t do this. I’ll give you something else if you don’t.” My skin crawled as I pressed against him. His tongue slid over his lower lip and he smirked down at me.

His fingers dropped to my neck and he squeezed gently, “You aren’t going to fool me this time. Decide.”

I gasped as he cut off my breathing a little, “N-no, please.”

“Decide Kalian, or I will. I’m curious, do you think we’d have to hoist Talon up or is he able to stand now? I don’t know how well he’d handle the whip though.”

My stomach dropped and I dug my nails into his chest, “Me.”

His smile fell and he glared at me as he pushed me away, “What?”

“I’ll do it. You wanted me to pick, and I did. Follow through, Captain.” He sneered at me, hesitating. Then he waved to his guards and they grabbed me under my arms.

“Make sure his friends watch.” I frowned as I was dragged from the tent. There was a commotion as the camp was gathered, my group included. Eon seemed to figure out what was happening at once and looked livid as he punched a guard in the face. Three fell on him and held him against the ground. Wren bared his teeth and I watched him fight with himself. If he fought back, others could suffer. Tyren was on his feet, and he looked down at me, actual tears in his eyes. Amaris stood with her arms crossed, glaring at anyone dumb enough to meet her gaze. Hanja’s face was blank, but his eyes were on a guard who approached me from the front. They didn’t remove my shirt. That seemed odd to me, but I quickly found out it was much, much worse than bare skin. It was cold, bumps rising on my arms as they forced me onto my knees.

“Get started. We don’t have all day. We have to march back to Syrin.” It was Lex’s voice, and I didn’t miss the strain in it. He hadn’t thought this an option and he wasn’t happy about it. I shuddered as wind blew through my thin shirt. Eon was struggling again, fighting against the hands that held him down. One of them kicked him in the side and yanked his head back, forcing him to watch. Wren was practically vibrating with suppressed wrath. I closed my eyes and braced myself. I don’t know what I was expecting. I wasn’t sure why I thought I’d be able to fully brace myself. I heard water and peeked again. A solider was dipping the leather whip into water. That also struck me as strange. I would only find out later that adding water increased the sting.
He approached me and I found Lex standing amongst his soldiers. I kept my eyes on him, even as the first lash ripped into my skin. It took my breath away. The second and third fell and I gasped at the intense sting. The fabric of my shirt clung to the wounds and each time the whip pulled away, the cloth sucked at my torn open skin, sticking to it. It made everything hurt worse. My head hung and I panted, forcing my eyes back to Lex’s. The crack kept cutting through the clearing. Not even the soldiers’ cheers and cries could cover the noise. My fingers dug into the dirt below me, and I gave up on looking at Lex. I flinched every time the whip descended. My voice was hoarse from crying out. I heard a struggle from where my friends were, but I didn’t have it in me to look. It felt like 100 years. The whip and I. When it was over, the white-hot pain that coursed through my back forced me forward. My chest hit the ground and I managed to open my unfocused eyes.

“Load him into the cart with the rest of them for now.” Lex’s mood had shifted. He sounded defeated and tired. I heard footsteps receding and then hands picked me up a little too roughly. I hissed and the hands loosened their grip.

“I’m sorry. Can you stand?” It was Eon. I tried. I couldn’t get my legs under me. I felt blood dripping and tried to look. He stopped me, “Don’t look. You don’t want to see.”
There were tears on his cheeks and he lifted me, my arm over his shoulders. Someone slipped under my other side and Hanja cast me a sad look. They carried me across camp, Wren growling obscenities and threats the entire way. He even snapped his teeth at someone who passed too near. Tyren and Amaris were quiet, but I heard their steps. My head dipped and my vision went black for a few seconds. When I fought it off, the floor of a cart was quickly moving toward me. Or I was moving toward it. They were laying me down. Hanja’s hair was back to being neat and he gently rubbed my unscathed shoulder.

“It’s going to hurt Kalian. Not too long though, I promise.” It did hurt, but it was nothing compared to the lashes themselves. I grit my teeth, my hands flexing by my sides as my skin knit back together. Both of my hands were taken, Eon and Tyren. It wasn’t that long, not really. I lay there and wondered when the cart had started moving. I pushed myself up only when I’d managed to get my breathing under control.

“He’s not going to allow Talon to be healed anymore.” I mumbled softly, trying to ignore the feeling of Amaris wiping blood off my back. Tyren still held my hand and Eon was studying something over my head.

“It makes sense. It’d be foolish to give their greatest threat another chance to stand against them.” Wren scowled, and I noticed a little blood smeared across his mouth for the first time.

“Did you have a snack?” I grinned at him.

He snapped his teeth together, “They got too close.” Eon’s eyes ran over the smaller male and he smirked.

“To you, or to someone else?” I lifted an eyebrow and Wren giggled, looking away from me. If I died before these two decided to do something about their attraction, I’d be pissed.

“We’ll have to be more creative with healing Talon.” Hanja murmured, sliding his gloves onto his hands, “Wren, are you able to carry someone while you run?”

Pushing his white hair away from his face, Wren bared his teeth, “Course.”

“Lex is going to force me to stay with him from now on as well.” I sighed.

“If he tries to force himself on you, at least wait until you have a clear shot at his genitals. Cut ‘em off.” Amaris’ voice was cruel, and she smiled sweetly at me.

“We all wish death upon Mallex, but we still have to keep our heads about us.” Tyren said, squeezing my hand in his, “Although, when the time comes, I hope none of us would hesitate.” We all answered in unison and it shook something inside me. The resounding, “No.”

Lex had made some terrible enemies.

“How long do you think it’ll take Talon to be at 100 percent?” Amaris turned to Hanja.

“A week. Less if I have more than a couple hours at a time with him.” We all considered for a minute.

“How long do you need?” I pulled my tattered shirt off and Eon handed me his navy jacket, leaving him in a sky-blue undershirt. I tried to ignore the multiple jagged, blood soaked tears in the fabric of the shirt I discarded.

Hanja tilted his head as he thought, “I could do it in three days, but I need at least six hours each day.”

“Eighteen hours using your Magik at full power, you’ll be beat.” Eon frowned as he did the math. He cast his gaze downward, rubbing his scruffy cheek.

“It’s fine. A group this large, what do we think? Four days, five to get back to Syrin?” Hanja asked, smoothing his pants.

“At least. We’re not moving fast, and they have a lot of injured. They’re going to need to make more stops.” Eon said, eyes once again scanning over the soldiers around us. His shoulder was healed, the fabric around it soaked in blood. I shuddered at how close we’d all been. A few more minutes and who knows?

Six pairs of eyes glared as a horse fell even with our cart. Lex smiled brightly at each one of us and offered his hand to me, “I believe that’s more than enough time for a play date.” More than one person moved to stand, but I waved them off.

“It’s fine. I’ll be back as soon as I can.” My eyes flicked to Hanja and Wren. If they could get Talon back on his feet, we might stand a chance. With him, none of the people traveling with us would ever see home again.

 

*

 

“I was impressed, honestly. Look at you, leading your little group.” His mouth grazed my shoulder, “Pick better allies next time, though.”

“Can’t you keep your hands and mouth to yourself?” I snapped. I was sitting in front of him again and I sighed as his chin rested on my shoulder. He was blessedly silent for awhile as we rode. The people around us looked worn out, many of them stained with blood from their own injuries.

“How did you get there so fast? No one followed us.”

“Magik of course. Teleportation is common. Anders has three in his service with the gift who are common casters. Two who are special. I used them all.” I rubbed my face and tired eyes. Of course he did. How nice for Anders and Mallex.

“If you’re tired, sleep. You had a rough day.” His voice was so sweet I wanted to vomit.

“Who’s fault is that?” I snapped again.

“Yours, but I’ll forgive you. Get some rest.” I fought it for as long as I could, but it eventually won out and my eyes closed. Not even being on a horse could keep me awake.

 

I was back in that space. Warm, soft light on my face. I scrunched my nose and reluctantly opened my eyes. Talon was next to me, absentmindedly curling my hair around his fingers, “You had enough energy to do it again.” He smiled down at me and cupped my face, kissing me slowly. It wasn’t as good as the real thing, but I’d never complain. Especially not when his tongue snaked into my mouth. I felt my body, or mind in this case, respond and press against him.

He laughed against my lips and pushed his nose against mine as his smile fell, “What’s going on? There was…a lot that came over the tether.”

“Nothing. Just Lex showing off his power.” Grey eyes narrowed and he sat back, unimpressed with my attempt to deflect. I whimpered, trying to pull him back.

“Tell me what’s actually going on.”

“30 lashes. I’m to be separated from our friends, and Hanja’s not allowed to heal you anymore.” Talon pulled me into his arms again and I traced the tattoo on his chest, then the one over his abs and hip.

“Who got the lashes?” He was frustrated, used to being always in control. I looked up at him, not wanting to say the words. The vision shuddered, black seeping in as he put everything together. It crept up his hands and darkened his eyes as well.

“I’m okay.” I wrapped my arms around his waist and felt him slowly get himself under control.

“I am going to make him suffer. For days.” I slid my hands up, running my fingers over his head gently.

“Plan?” He growled out and I couldn’t help it. This was a serious situation. Life and death and all that. Even so, I couldn’t help my reaction when he growled, “Focus gorgeous.”

I shook my head and bit my lip, “Hanja and Wren are going to try and heal you in secret. I assume once you’re able…” I shrugged, knowing I didn’t need to spell it out. We would unleash Talon on them, and the rest of us would be right behind.

“If I-“ I swallowed hard, “If I have to do things to distract Lex…” The set of his jaw hardened and the space around us shook again. I knew he wasn’t going to like it.

“I can’t stop you.” His voice was angry and possessive. Jealous. I pulled his head down again and kissed him hard. My hands slid down and I pushed him onto his back, swinging my leg over to straddle him.

“I’m sorry. If it makes you feel better. I will literally want to burn my skin off.” My hands ran down his chest as I murmured against his lips. He looked up at me and sighed, his hands holding my hips gently. His thumbs rubbed them, and I laid down against his chest, feeling him breathe and hearing his heartbeat.

“I’ll just have to replace the memories of wherever he touches you, with me.” He groaned as my hips rolled down. In my head or not, I had missed all of him. The edges of the light began to twitch, and I sighed. He looked up at me apologetically as, once again, the pleasant vision faded.

 

“Nice nap? You moaned in your sleep.” Lex sounded annoyed. The sun was setting, and I couldn’t believe how long I’d slept.

“I had a good dream.” I rubbed my face and yawned, taking in my surroundings, “When are we making camp?”

“That excited to get in my bed?” I rolled my eyes as his tone, lust dripping from his words.

“I’m excited to get off the horse. Asleep or not, my thighs hurt.” I complained, not caring that whine slipped into my voice.

“I’ll refrain from commenting on your thighs. You need a bath and a change of clothes. You’re starting to stink.” I’m sure he was right. I hadn’t bathed fully since we left and with all the events of the last few days, I was sure sweat and blood covered my skin.

We only rode for maybe an hour after that. Lex had real scouts and they found a suitable place to camp. We came to a stop and I looked for the cart with my friends. Lex dragged me off the horse by my upper arm. His tent was the first constructed and the scouts had already started as one reported back when I’d been asleep. There was no way it had been accomplished without Magik. It was huge and would take multiple hours normally to set it up. He tugged me through, lifting the flap and shoving me into the room. I hadn’t paid attention before. He had an actual bed and a desk littered with maps and papers. He pointed a finger and a small wash bin sat on a table on the other side of the room. There was a screen of fabric in front, but there would be a clear outline of my body as I cleaned myself.

“You’re a creep.” I muttered as I made for it.

“It’s my private tent. Who would I be hiding from?” He shrugged, throwing himself on the bed, “I’ve sent for clothes. Discard those.” I rolled my eyes and tried to ignore that I could see the whole room through the fabric that was supposed to be giving me privacy. I stripped off Eon’s jacket and my pants, ignoring the whistle from the bed. It was okay. I could deal with this. There was a sponge and cloth in the bin, and I began roughly scrubbing at my skin. It reminded me of when I’d cleaned Talon off, and I had to grip the wash bin to steady myself. I found a cup nearby and dumped water over my head, working my nails through my hair. It was matted and dirty, but I found it didn’t bother me. I had been so excited to be pretty when this had all started. Now I missed my layer of blood, grime, and sweat. At least it deterred Lex.

I found a very thin robe nearby and pulled it on, still toweling my hair as I stepped out. Lex’s eyes raked over me and he licked his lips, “That’s the best show I’ve had in a long time.”
I threw him a vulgar gesture and sat cross-legged on the rug that sat in the middle of the floor in front of the bed. I worked my fingers through my hair, pulling at tangles as I did my best to ignore movement on the mattress.

“You’re not being very friendly Kalian. I think I’ve been a generous host.” I heard the mattress springs as he left the bed. He stooped behind me and tried to grab my chin. I pulled it from his grip, and he chuckled, “Again, your friends pay for your insolence. You’re not an option this time. I’ll make you sit on my lap and watch.”

“What do you want?” I sighed, defeated. Hopefully, Wren and Hanja were able to get time in with Talon while I sat in this tent with the person I hated most.

“Well, that’s an open question, isn’t it?” His hand slid down my back and gripped my ass through the robe. When I squirmed away from him, he laughed. His hand roamed over my back. He yanked my head back by my hair, “What about your mouth?” I blinked at him and he yanked my chin down, sliding fingers between my lips. I resisted at first and earned a sharp glare, “Suck. Come on. I know for a fact that you’ve done worse than this.” I closed my eyes as his fingers pressed against my tongue. I tried to imagine it was Talon as I did as told. He made a soft noise of approval in the back of his throat and forced me to kneel. I squeezed my eyes closed even tighter as I heard him untying his pants.

 

 

I lay on the stupid ground in Lex’s stupid tent. He’d given up trying to coerce me into the bed about an hour ago. He was in a great mood at my expense. I wanted to eat fire and feel it burn every trace of him from my mouth and throat. I wrapped my arms around myself. I’d thrown up of course. I’m sure Mallex hadn’t been pleased. He’d thrown a blanket off the bed and I wrapped myself in it, grimacing at his smell. I’d have to get over it. I still hadn’t seen any real clothes and the robe did little to keep me warm. He was asleep. I could hear him snoring, not a care in the world. I could do it now. Wipe him from this Earth while he slept. I rubbed my arms and ran it over in my head. I’d have to make sure he was dead and there was no telling what would happen in the aftermath. Would his soldiers hurt my allies? Would they hurt Talon?

I ran my fingers over my scalp, soothing the small hurts from when he’d yanked my hair. My throat was sore, as was my jaw. It was strange that an act I had enjoyed with Talon, could be tainted so thoroughly. I closed my eyes. I sent a pulse over the connection and settled as it was answered. Talon’s presence ran through me and I fought the tears at the corners of my eyes. I had told him it might happen, but it still felt like a betrayal. His mind pressed harder, soothing, caressing. I wiped my eyes and laid on my back, phantom hands running over my cheeks. They ran lightly over me, all over. I slipped into a fitful sleep.

 

 

*

*Hanja*

 

The small white-haired terror’s eyes scanned over the camp from where we stood by our cart. Our group had carefully catalogued the guard’s routines last night, certain we’d need the information. We had been correct. I glanced back to Tyren, whose fingers sunk into his dark curls, his expression pained. We were all disturbed at Kalian’s absence. Even worse was the knowledge of where he was being kept. I was determined to bring Talon back to operating order as quick as I could. We could only guess at what Kalian would do to keep us safe. He’d already made hard choices and his screams from earlier echoed in my head. He’d taken it better than I would’ve expected from a kid who’d grown up in the lap of luxury.

“I can carry you, but it may be awkward. You’re taller than I am.” Wren looked up at me, face serious for once. I nodded in understanding but still stiffened as he hoisted me into his arms. His small body was misleading. Held in those arms, I felt the immense strength coiled under alabaster skin.

“What are you?” I whispered and those rose-colored eyes filled with an unnerving emotion.

“I don’t know. I’ve tried to figure it out, but alas, there’s no one like me so there’s nothing to compare to.” He didn’t say anything else. He took off, weaving around the outskirts of camp, moving around the backs of tents. The world around me blurred and I closed my eyes as the motion made me ill. I was glad to have my feet back on solid ground when he put me down. When we crept around the white carriage, I paused. There weren’t any guards and I frowned. Where were they? Normally at least two guarded it.

“Mallex hasn’t made the rounds like he did last night. He hasn’t left his tent since he entered. I’m not sure how but…Kalian seems to have bought us time.” Wren’s voice was cold and filled with pain. As hesitant as I had been to join this group, I now knew I’d fight and die with and for them. None of us had voiced the fears we had for Kalian. The captain was unwell and his obsession with our reluctant young leader made me uncomfortable.

“Then we can’t waste it.” My voice was strained, and Wren became the lookout as I forced the door open. The wood was warped, and the rough scraping noise made me freeze. Wren hissed softly in my direction, his eyes snapping to the soldiers gathered around a fire. We were only 50 feet away. I eased it the rest of the way open and crawled in. Using the light from the moon, I noticed a lantern and matches close to where I’d entered. I lit it and swore softly as it only offered dim light. It was enough. It would have to be. Talon looked better than he had last night. I had seen horrific injuries many times, but the extensiveness of Talon’s had stolen my breath away. Kalian had faltered but I’d been proud when he held the light as I worked. There was a resolve there that I hadn’t given him credit for.

Talon was breathing, harsh and shallow. That was a good sign. He was able to breathe on his own. He shouldn’t have been alive. I hadn’t shared that thought with Kalian last night, but it was true. The untreated punctured lung by itself would have been enough. That was without everything else layered on top. He should’ve slipped into shock at the very least. I sighed softly and stripped off my gloves, tucking them into a pocket as I eyed the filthy floor. He was far cleaner and smelled far less offensive. Which I attributed to Kalian. Not that his state was Talon’s fault. I was losing focus again and shook my head, holding my hands out as I got to work.

 

*

*Kalian*

 

I was shaken awake by Anika. I recoiled and she gave me a dirty look. She looked me over and for a moment, I saw sadness fill her eyes. She set clothes in front of me and left the tent, glancing at me over her shoulder before turning into the light outside. I got dressed, pulling on the vest that wasn’t even close to as beautiful as the one Potlyne had made me. I covered my eyes as I stepped out, realizing it was already mid-morning. The camp was being dismantled and I wasn’t sure where I was supposed to go.

“Kal?” I turned and saw Eon waving, a grim look on his face. Wren stood next to him and gave me a toothy smile. Tyren, Hanja, and Amaris were already in the cart. I looked to Hanja who gave me a half wave, dark circles under his eyes.

I dropped my voice as I made it to Wren, “Were you able to spend a good amount of time there?”

Wren eyed me, “Yes, actually. All night. Eight hours. Apparently, the Captain didn’t check to make sure rounds were made. He was also in a good mood this morning and told us you’d be allowed to ride with us.” I looked down at the ground. I knew Wren wasn’t judging me for whatever he thought had happened, but again, that guilt took over. It was like my thoughts were printed on my forehead as he spoke next.

“I don’t know what happened and I don’t want to know. All we need to focus on is that if we get another night like last, Hanja thinks Talon will be well enough to fight.” Wren gripped my wrist, hissing softly at the bruises that he found there.

“If Talon isn’t ready, I don’t know that I can hold back much longer. Lex will not make it back to Syrin.” I’d never heard so much hate from Eon. Wren nodded and we all piled into the small cart. We were on top of each other, and I tried to figure out how we had fit with two laying down.

I shook my head and Hanja grabbed for my hand, “I promise you. Tonight. No more. It will be done.” I smiled at him and he gave a small squeeze before releasing me.

“Either way, you need to sleep. You won’t be able to do anything without energy.” Tyren huffed. Hanja kissed his cheek and I smiled. I’d never seen such open affection from him. He leaned against Tyren, spreading his legs out around us. His eyes were barely closed, and I knew he was out. No amount of jostling from the cart or us woke Hanja up. Tyren had to make an actual effort after a few hours to get him to eat and drink something. He obliged and then fell right back to sleep afterward.

“Is this too hard on him?” I asked softly.

“He wants to do this Kalian. There would be no telling him no either way. In his eyes he owes you a life debt, and he will repay it.” Tyren answered, tucking a long piece of black hair away from the man in question’s face. Wren nodded and leaned back against Eon’s chest. I raised my eyebrows as my brother didn’t protest or shrink away from the contact. He shook his head and smiled shyly.

“Can he do it? In only two nights? Will Talon actually be able to fight?” Amaris asked, her face doubtful.

“He healed you both in an hour, and you were in rough shape Amaris.” Wren answered. She nodded seriously and I let out a breath. I had the same worry. Either way, having Talon able to fight at all would give us an advantage. I wasn’t willing, however, to let him fall again. I wouldn’t risk it if he wasn’t ready.

We rode along in relative silence. I was still so tired, so I curled up against Hanja and let myself slip away too. For the second time that day, hands shook me awake. Far more gently this time. Hanja looked down at me, his mouth turning up ever so slightly at the corner. His arms were around my shoulders and I woke up much faster when I noticed we were the only ones in the carriage. We also weren’t moving. Hanja’s dark circles had lessened, and he noticed me looking when we jumped down from the cart.

“Do you have a question, lord?” His voice always seemed far too quiet for the distance it carried.

“This isn’t too much is it? You’re not hurting yourself, are you?”

He smiled for real this time, “I may not be much help when we finally make our move. I’m hoping Tyren likes me enough to drag me along.”

“We’ll all keep you safe.” I said seriously.

“I’m not concerned with my safety. That man led the troops that almost took Tyren from me. I care only that none of them can continue drawing breath.” I blinked in surprise as he walked toward Tyren, who waved at us. I tried to hide my confusion as the camp went up around me. The sun wasn’t even setting. We had time to keep moving, we weren’t out of sunlight. What was happening? I searched for the white carriage and saw soldiers milling around it. I hadn’t seen him for real in too long. My hands itched to feel him in the physical world.

“They’re starting to slow down. They’re losing a lot of the men who were injured, and their morale is slipping.” Amaris explained as she saw my confusion, “Mallex was waiting for you to wake up. We’re supposed to tell you to go to him.”

“We’re supposed to.” Eon growled, glaring down at his hands as he sat on a tree stump. Wren sat next to him, eyeing me.

“None of us will say anything if you choose not to go.” Tyren said, his hands gently sliding over Hanja, assessing.

“I can’t put you all at risk. He’s already threatened you more than once.” I rubbed my cheek and smiled.

“You don’t have to protect us Kal. We all know what we got ourselves into.” Eon grumbled.

“I’m aware, and I know what I got myself into.” I stepped toward where I knew that blasted tent would be. Eon’s face fell and Wren looked distant, lost in thought. I didn’t meet the others’ eyes as I set off. They said Lex was in a good mood. Maybe he’d leave me alone today. I knew it was a fool’s hope.

“There you are! I was beginning to think your little group had ignored my order.” He had stripped off his military jacket and stood at the table, a loose tunic hanging off him.

“I’m here.” I ran my eyes over the papers. Perhaps I should try to go through them when he was sleeping?

“Lay down. You can’t have had a good night’s sleep on the floor or in that carriage. When did you get close to that teacher?” I stilled at the dangerous note the end of his sentence took. You had to be kidding me. He was jealous of Hanja?

“You don’t have to worry. He’s promised to and in love with someone else. We don’t share those feelings. He’s just my friend.” Lex set a map down in front of him and smiled as he crossed the space between us.

“You look tired. Get some sleep Kal.” His fingers ghosted over my chin and his eyes seemed stuck on my lips.

“I’m not sleeping in your bed. The floor is fine.” He smirked and his previous threats hung between us. I allowed myself to be dragged over to the bed. I stood motionless as he pulled my vest off. I gripped his wrist tight as he hooked his fingers in the waistband of my pants. His glare was fast, but I loosened my grip and let my fingers trace over his wrists.

“Please, can you go slow? Please Lex.” I looked up at him through my lashes and his grip on my pants loosened. I let him go and crawled onto the bed, laying on my back. I had known he was going to follow, and I tried not to recoil too hard when he laid against my side.

“Things are so much easier when you don’t fight. We can go slow. I want to treat you well. I know you’re mad at me right now, but I want to make it up to you. I want to love you. I want you to enjoy it.” I closed my eyes as his palm slid up my tunic, running over my stomach.

“I’m tired.” I didn’t remove his hand, only rolled to my side. His arm wrapped around my waist and he rested his face in my neck. At least he was calmer tonight. I couldn’t handle force from him. I’d kill him this time. Plan or not. I’d never allow him to do that again. I tried to relax as his hands slid over my hip and side. A blanket covered me, and I welcomed the warmth. I didn’t sleep. It took him about ten minutes to. His breathing slowed and his grip on me loosened. From the gaps in the tent, I could tell the sun hadn’t even gone down yet. No chance Wren and Hanja would risk attempting anything in broad daylight. Either way. It was a matter of hours.

 

I stared at the tent wall for hours, my body stiff and tired. Lex rolled away from me at some point, and I had let out a sigh of relief. I tried to limit my shifting as I slid off the bed. I crept across the floor, making my way to the table littered in papers. Glancing at Lex’s sleeping face, I sorted through the stacks silently. My heart was beating rapidly, terrified that he’d wake up and catch me at any minute. There were maps and correspondence between Anders and Mallex. They were dated and my heart fell as it became clear that they’d been planning this since before I’d met with Anders. Through the letters, it was also obvious that Anders and Lex didn’t fully trust each other. There were passive aggressive sentences littered throughout and Anders at one point directly asked if he could trust Lex with this mission. Anders wasn’t convinced he could be rational when it came it to me. He was right. He’d been ordered to kill us all. There was no forgiveness offered. We were all threats and Anders wanted us eliminated. Talon was bait. Anders hadn’t wanted to give us any chance to escape, hence Lex and the reinforcements. I continued through the papers, holding up a letter to the moonlight slipping in through a gap in the tent. In this letter, Anders detailed his plans for the queen. I had been right. Appeasing was not going to be a pleasant experience. She was to be poisoned if she couldn’t be swayed. Apparently, one of the students had a gift for liquid that could melt through anything. Anders planned to slip it into the poor royal’s tea. A soft murmur reached my ears and Lex shifted on the bed, rubbing his eyes. I scurried across the room as noiselessly as I could, acting as though I was washing my hands in the basin.

“You’re up early.” Lex sat up; chest bare as he rubbed sleep from his eyes. I cleared my throat and nodded, running water over light sheen of sweat on my chest. I dried myself off and made myself lay down on the bed. Arms snaked around my waist and he pulled me back against his chest. Lips pressed over my shoulder and I shuddered in disgust. Deluded as usual, Lex seemed to think it was a positive reaction. One of his hands slid over my chest, the other running lightly over my covered abdomen. I thanked my earlier self for laying down in my clothes.

“I told you I’d go slow, but I’ve already waited for so long. I think having your mouth made the need worse.” I wanted to throw up. He knew I hadn’t enjoyed it. How could he think that it would get better if he continued slamming himself against my resolve? His fingers caught my chin and he tried to turn my face to his for a kiss. Lex’s lips met mine and I flinched away. He felt it and I saw the anger in his eyes.

“I’m sick of your games.” He sat up to backhand me hard enough that the force rolled me off the bed. I hit the ground with a hard thud and held my mouth. My teeth had ripped into my lower lip and I spit blood onto the dirt floor.

“Pick a friend. You are not an option as I’ve said.” He got up and I watched him getting dressed still from the ground. He strolled around the bed and his face was blank. He kicked me hard in the stomach and I felt the air whoosh from my body, “Decide.”

“I’m not going to let anyone but me suffer for my choices. You seem to be okay with hurting me, so why remove my ability to choose myself?” Lex’s eyes drilled into mine and they narrowed. I was panting softly, holding my stomach.

“Fine. I’ll send guards for you. Stay here.” I slumped against the dirt underneath me as he left the tent. True to his word, around ten minutes later, two guards came in and yanked me to my feet. They dragged me through camp, an empty cart was their end goal. I was paraded past my friends and I heard Eon’s outraged yelling. Apparently, pain wasn’t on the menu today. I was forced down to my knees and manhandled around as I was bound. When they finished, they lifted me by the ropes criss-crossing over my body, the material biting hard into my skin. My hands were bound under my knees, the ropes holding me in a prone kneeling position. The bindings reached my head too. Where they held a round piece of wood in my mouth. Humiliation was today’s punishment. I tried to relax my jaw and found I was tied so tight I couldn’t get any relief.
My shoulders and jaw already ached, and I dreaded being held in this position for hours. I shifted so I could rest my head on the side boards of my cart. The cart groaned as two men moved to stand around me. I was wrong. Pain was still very much a part of the day. I was unable to cover my head or body when the men started kicking and hitting me. One got lucky and kicked the wood in my mouth. My jaw strained and my gums ached as the wood threatened to rip out my teeth. It’s a miracle it didn’t. My sides and face were thoroughly battered when they decided they’d done enough. I barely heard them jump from the cart.

My cheek lay in a small pool of my own blood and I coughed, “Shit.” A rib bone was broken, possibly a few of them. My face hurt and I let out a ragged sigh. I registered the cart jerking into movement underneath me. I tried to fight off the growing darkness in my mind but failed. I blacked out.

“Kalian. Wake up.” Lex’s voice was nails on a chalkboard, startling me from the black I had fallen into, “You’ll be released when we make camp, and I will let your friend heal you. I grow tired of your insolence Kalian. Remember how much easier things are when you don’t fight it? When you don’t act like a brat?” I turned my head toward his voice, wincing as the wood in my mouth dragged across the cart under me. I wasn’t able to do what I wanted, but blood splattered over the cart floor as I spit it around my gag. His eyes were cold, and he must have ridden off. Satisfied, it didn’t take much for me to black out again. The next time I woke up, I felt gentle hands on my shoulders. There was something jerking me a bit as my bindings were being cut. My muscles ached and screamed when I was released from my forced position. I felt the rope around my head loosen and the wood was carefully removed from my mouth. I was rolled onto my back and Hanja’s red eyes came into view. I heard Eon’s angry voice nearby and Tyren’s calm one was audibly shaken.

“If he wishes to dole out punishments again, please chose one of us, lord.” Amaris’ voice was soft as Hanja held my jaw. I felt and heard the snapping and let out a gasp of pain. He let go and I cried out as my ribs forced themselves back together, bone connecting as if it hadn’t been broken mere seconds ago. The ribs sucked. My jaw was worse and coaxed a real scream from my chest.

“He will not have another night to dig himself deeper.” Hanja’s voice was angrier than I had ever heard it, “Are you listening Kalian? He’s ready. We were waiting for the right time. We didn’t know where you were until we stopped and Lex gave permission for us to be taken to you. We were kept on the opposite side of the procession all day.” I was breathing hard, but I forced myself to get control. Talon was ready. He was okay.

“The only question is, are we attacking or grabbing Talon and running like the original plan?” Tyren asked, voice empty and humorless.

“We’re attacking. What he’s done to Kalian is unforgivable. They should all die.” Wren growled.

“Agreed.” Eon’s voice in his lowest register rivaled Wren’s in intimidation potential.

“We all have scores to settle.” Amaris offered next to me, eyes determined.

“Kal?” I sat up as they turned to me, rubbing my jaw as I propped myself up on an arm. I waited for Hanja or Tyren to disagree, but they were silent. It was telling.

“Majority rules.” I answered seriously, all doubt having been driven from my mind.

So! Next chapter is going to be mostly sunshine and rainbows because I am emotionally tired 😄
Also, smut because of reasons 😘
One last chapter and then there will be a bit of a break.
The wait for the next part shouldn't be terribly long though!🖤
:thankyou:
Copyright © 2020 Demiurge; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 17
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Angry 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So I typically get oddly attached to characters, but I don’t have the same hatred towards “bad guys”. However, fuck Lex. Take off his fucking hands and drag him behind a carriage the entire ride back to the capital.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I've been binge reading this story for the past few days and what a wild ride it's been. It's been hard to read the situations that Kal has had to endear but watching his relationship grow with Talon and learning to stand up for himself and become stronger has been absolutely wonderful. I love the dynamic that's grown in the group while they all work together to save Talon. Everyone is so cool!


I'm really, really, really looking forward to the next chapter. Thank you!

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Malodorous Malex needs to be kept alive...just barely so he can be made to understand the folly of his ways and banished to a remote island with the bitch of a sister just after having his balls forcibly removed, then stuff them down Anders throat!

Quite frankly, Kalian should have ended him before going over the correspondence and plans on the desk!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Malodorous Malex needs to be kept alive...just barely so he can be made to understand the folly of his ways and banished to a remote island with the bitch of a sister just after having his balls forcibly removed, then stuff them down Anders throat!

Quite frankly, Kalian should have ended him before going over the correspondence and plans on the desk!

My, what big balls you, did have, Mallex. Bon appetit you fother mucker; oh, would you enjoy a side of sniveling bitch to go with that? After all, you have longed-for some Alauis of your own. 😛 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I’m nerdily in awe of your writing. I’d gush more but I’ll save it for later because I’m eager to read the next chapter lol

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I’m surprised it took so long for you to bring me to tears but you did it. Twice.

Please let Lex die soon.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

"So! Next chapter is going to be mostly sunshine and rainbows because I am emotionally tired 😄

Also, smut because of reasons 😘"

Well, sure, I expect the sex to be good,  but frankly, my narrative expectation is for quite a LOT of violence at this point.  In the form of sunshine and rainbows will be fine,  but violence and plenty of it.

and I hope Wren gets to eat, too. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I'm with Mattyboy, rainbows and whatnot are absolutely fine, in the form of the long awaited for epically violent and hopefully gory as hell production of twatbollock soup. And obviously smut is welcome wherever it's found. Especially alongside a nice, heaping serving of red-hot vengeance...

Ah whom I kidding, we'll take what we get and be happy with it!

Brilliant chapter, as always :)
 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..