Jump to content
    Demiurge
  • Author
  • 3,733 Words
  • 2,312 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Awaken - 11. Syrin

What remained of the journey the next morning was mostly silent. Lex hadn't returned, much to my surprise. Eon had shrugged, assuming he'd gone on ahead. Dima trailed behind Talon like a much smaller shadow and more than once I watched him look down at her with frustration. He'd finally pulled her onto the horse behind him when it almost stepped on her. At least I didn't cling to him like a small child. I had taken Lex's horse and rode alongside him, but our conversation was almost non-existant. Eyah and Eon both rode in the carriage even though my brother argued that he was getting better. We were about a mile from the road that led up to Syrin when I finally forced myself to be brave.

“Talon?”

He shrugged Dima's hands off his shoulders as he turned to look at me, “Yes lordling?” I watched Dima pout at his back and when she met my eyes she looked away in embarrassment.

I pulled my horse to a stop and paused the ones pulling the carriage as well. Talon's hands pulled back on the reins and looked at me expectantly. I cleared my throat and then my eyes strayed to Dima, “Dima please get in the carriage. I have...things I need to discuss with Verloren.” She hesitated, looking at Talon as if she thought he'd disagree. He gave the most subtle breath of relief instead and offered his hand to help her down. She held her hands in front of her, her head down as she walked passed me. I waited until the carriage door closed before I started us moving again. I looked around at the red tinged leaves that clung to the trees lining the road and tried to figure out how I wanted to start.

Talon rode quietly behind me and then his curiosity seemed to get the best of him, “You missing your fiancé?”

I sighed, “No. I'm glad to have a break from him. He's sometimes...a bit too intense for me.”

“Is that what we're calling abuse now? Duly noted.”

I flinched and stared straight ahead, “how do you know that?”

“It was a good guess. The facial swelling and bruises really helped me stitch it together. Also, the various occasions when he's grabbed you or squeezed your wrist or-”

“I get it. I guess I didn't realize it was so obvious to others. I knew that Eon was catching on but I don't know...”

I was losing my nerve as I nearly dissolved in shame and Talon sighed, “listen. It is what it is. You don't have to explain yourself to me lordling. Gods know I don't want people questioning my choices.”

I gripped the reins tighter and forced myself to meet his eyes, “What if I can't explain it even to myself?”

Talon's eyes widened ever so slightly and he tilted his head as he looked at me, “Generally we shouldn't seek out things that have hurt us in the past Sunshine. Expecting Mallex to get better or to learn something from your disagreements is way beyond him. In my opinion of course. Not much is in his realm of understanding.”

“Do you learn things from our disagreements?”

He looked again and frowned, “Perhaps not as much as I should. Our dynamic seems to continuously be changing and I've had a hard time finding my footing. I'll admit that.”

“We're not teacher and student anymore, yes.”

Talon's eyes found my face again and a smirk fell onto his features, “Oh yes, that's the only thing that has changed.” I stared at him for a moment before he grinned, chuckling softly, “Do you think so little of me that you assumed I wouldn't know when someone was walking around in my head?”

My train of thought came to a screeching halt, “You knew?”

Of course I did. Pretty invasive whatever it is. I don't normally share the night my mother died with people. Or anyone. So congratulations, Sunshine, you know something no one else does.”

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to.”

He shrugged and played with the reins in his hand, “My guess is that this is somehow related to our powers. It's funny really. Connecting two people this way who have such different lives. The gods and goddesses must be falling all over themselves laughing.”

Our powers?”

You've not noticed that they seem to be...opposites?”

I nodded in agreement, “well yes, what small amount I've seen of yours, and I've barely even used mine. Who knows what I can really do?”

Careful lordling, you almost sounded confident there.” Talon chuckled and then looked up, “Behold, your country's capital, Syrin.” I wanted to ask him more questions about my powers and his. Talon always seemed to have some kind of answer and this is the first time we'd had a decent interaction since he'd quit being my teacher. I was totally overwhelmed, however, when the city came into view. It was sprawling, easily ten times the size of Krinn. I looked over the small white buildings stretching up to what I knew was the palace. Eon and Anika had always raved about the beauty of it but I had not been adequately prepared. It was a huge building made of white marble, it's domed roofs made of real copper that glinted in the sun. The white city took my breath away and I looked at Talon who was smiling down at me, a softness in his eyes that I never wanted to forget. Syrin sat atop a hill, with the lower parts of the city at the very bottom.

Has anyone explained the city to you?” Talon asked as we road toward the impossibly tall wall that surrounded the base of the capital.

No, what do you mean?”

The city is in...levels. There are five of them and they get smaller as you move toward the palace. The palace is the entirety of the smallest level. I believe that Eon mentioned we'd be in the second? That'd make sense. Nobles and rich merchants make up most of that one.”

What of the other levels? The lowest one is the biggest? Is that where we enter the city?”

Mm correct. The largest layer is where you gain access to the city. Generally, your average traveler won't make it too far passed that.”

Why?”

Talon grinned, “Money Sunshine. Most people aren't as wealthy as your family. True I suppose you could also move more freely if you had powerful friends.” I mulled that over as we approached the great doors, solid wood and at least twenty feet high, they were impressive. My family had a home here that they frequented in the nicer months. Krinn stayed mild all year but Syrin faced much more unpredictable weather. I think they even had snow, which thrilled me. I'd never seen snow.

We made our way through the doors, Eon had given me our correct travel papers this morning, and I struggled to take in the bustling city around me. There were people everywhere. More than I had ever seen. Pushing their way through groups of people as they went about their days. Every person was different, the lightest pale skin tones to the richest deep ones. They were all dressed in different types of clothing in every color of the rainbow. Talon guided me through and I felt myself having a hard time processing everything. It took us a full hour to find the home we'd be staying in for the foreseeable future. It was set between two others, and the front was a wall of intricate archways. As we stopped, I hopped down. I was immediately drawn inside by the sound of running water. The building's façade was Syrin's signature white brick, pristine in the midday sun. The courtyard I stepped into, however, seemed to be constructed entirely of the white marble I'd seen on the palace. A large, round, three tiered fountain sat in the middle of the room, surrounding by seating and trees with huge leaves. Doorways sat on the far walls and I stood by the entrance, dumbstruck.

Wow, what a slum,” Talon mumbled, throwing bags down at our feet. Servants came to greet us and I acknowledged them numbly, still totally overwhelmed.

Hey,” I heard Talon say as he caught a passing servant. It was a young girl in her teens and she blushed bright red at his attention, “Can you get a doctor? The other lord is injured,” he pointed to Eon who was standing nearby, staring off into the distance. The girl nodded, falling all over herself as she walked away. Poor thing, Talon seemed to have that affect on most people.

*

I was settling in my room later when the door opened and Talon let himself in, whistling, “This room's not too bad either.” The room in question was huge. The floors laid in a pretty terra cotta colored tile, the walls a light sand colored stucco. There was a dark wood desk under a large, wide window. A dresser of the same material sat to the right of the double doors that led onto a balcony overlooking the city. As far as I had seen, most of the second floor was lavish bedrooms that each had their own bathing room. A huge bed sat on the opposite wall of the dresser, the pillows and blankets a mixture of blues and oranges with touches of coral. In another corner there was a full sitting area with huge plush couches and an octagonal table set in front of them.

It's beautiful isn't it?”

Talon grinned and I felt self-conscious as I realized he was in my bedroom, “It's not bad Sunshine.”

I smiled softly to myself, Sunshine would always be preferred over his other nicknames he'd given me, “Is your room to your liking? Let us know if you need anything. You're our guest.”

I'll keep that in mind. What a gracious host. That being said, your fiancé has turned up and would like to speak to you.”

Well of course. Why didn't he just come himself?”

Oh, I told him you didn't want him to and I said I would beg for an audience in his stead.”

I laughed and quickly clamped my hand over my mouth, “He'll be furious.”

There are worse things.” Talon muttered, looking me up and down before plopping himself on one of the plush couches.

There you are. This idiot has been stalling me for the better part of a half hour.” Lex barreled into the room and I felt myself instantly shrink.

Yes sorry, Talon thinks things like that are funny.”

As do you apparently lordling,” Talon supplied, playing with a short knife I'd never seen before and he hadn't had a moment ago. He was doing his best to look disinterested, his dark hair splayed out over a deep sapphire pillow.

Silence. Get out. You have no right to be here in Kalian's room.”

Talon motioned to me with the narrow blade, “I will leave if he asks me to.”

Lex looked to me expectantly and I shook my head no. He glared between the two of us before settling on me, “Fine. I left to get here early so I could properly announce that you would be arriving today. The court's waiting for you.”

I have to go today?”

Yes I told them I'd bring you as soon as you arrived. The king and queen wish to meet you.” I groaned and ran my hands over my face.

You both need to leave then because I need to bathe and change.” Talon rose and waited for Lex to follow him from the room.

I don't need an escort lost one.”

That's funny because you don't seem to be leaving the room. Instructions too unclear? He wants us to get out.”

I don't need someone telling me what my fiancé wants.”

Are you sure? Because I think black eyes aren't on his list.”

My mouth fell open and Lex paused for a long moment, slowly turning on me, “What have you been telling him schatz?”

Nothing. Now get out.” Talon stared at Lex's back and I noticed him still toying with the dagger absentmindedly.

Lex moved forward and I raised my chin. He looked surprised for a second and then he grinned and bowed. “Of course, liebe. Whatever you want.” He strode out of the room and Talon's eyes ran over me before he nodded to me and exited as well.

I felt myself relaxing and took a breath as I realized my hands were shaking. I unpacked a fresh outfit and made my way to my small bath, eager to wash off the grime from the road.

 

*

 

Lex was waiting for me in the courtyard when I was finally ready, my hair neatly brushed and my clothes carefully chosen. I wore the umber colored pants and a loose, flowy white tunic with gold leaves stitched into the hem and sleeves. My family crest sat in the center of my chest under the deep v-cut neckline's point. Talon sat by the fountain and I jumped as I saw him speaking with a short man in dark blue robes as he pointed at Eon. Talon's eyes were bright with interest and the man seemed invested in the discussion as well. Eon just looked bored as he looked between the two and I smiled at him as I approached the group, ignoring Lex as he stood by the main doors.

Ah my lord! Your brother is very lucky! This head wound would've killed a lesser man I think. He has significant head trauma which I'm sure you've noticed! You and Master Talon's attentions seem to have worked wonders and it's healing beautifully!”

I smiled at the doctor and took his hand as he offered it, trying to ignore Talon in the background smirking and mouthing “Master.”

I'm glad to hear it. Eon will you be accompanying us to court?”

Eon frowned and glanced at Lex, “uh no. The doctor wants me to stay here. He's afraid I'll strain myself.”

Of course he's right,” I nodded at the shorter man and then my brother, “I'll see you all shortly then.”

I tried to keep my cheerful demeanor as I turned away and forced my feet to walk in Lex's direction. His arms were crossed and he tapped his fingers against them.

I'm ready now.” He nodded and led me out to the carriage where one of the new servants sat high up on the built in bench, his hands loosely holding the reins. We climbed in and I pushed the fabric from the windows so I could watch the city go by. The differences in the layers were obvious as you moved up. From bustling lower class people struggling to make ends meet as they scurried over cramped streets to carefully built roads and finely dressed people strolling along beautifully kept paths. Now as we ascended into the fifth ring I was floored by the endlessly high walls of the palace, it's buildings crawling greedily over the hilltop. It was the biggest building I had ever seen and I felt almost intimidated by it's grandeur. We were directed through huge marble doors by men in forest green uniforms, dark black piping covering the seams. They wore silver helmets that shone in the sun and masked the faces underneath.

Kalian.” I dropped the curtain reluctantly and turned to Lex who wore a serious expression as his eyes bore holes into the carriage wall behind me, “you can't act the way you've been acting once we get to court. We have to appear as a united front. Word has spread that your father accepted my request for your hand and people will expect us to act a certain way.”

Then I suggest you also look at your behavior Lex. It's been most unbecoming of someone in your position.”

Did you know I still hold rank in the military?”

So?” I shook my head, resting my hands in my lap.

I have more influence here than even Eon.” I felt dread creeping up my back as I began to understand the implication of his words. Eon and Lex had both joined the military as they were the offspring of some of the king's most favorite generals. My father, for the longest time, had been the king's warlord. He presided over all our efforts to expand Dimian's control and keep that control in foreign countries. He also saw to the unrest that had ignited small battles between the army and civilians. Our country was a rich one, but that money rarely fell into the normal citizens' hands. Money tended to stay at the top with those strong enough to take power and keep it. My father had been exceedingly good at this and still bragged about how the king had shed tears at his retirement.

Lex and Eon were given titles due to their bloodlines, with Lex's father Cirion being my father's closest friend and next in command. I assumed Lex had been discharged with honor as Eon had. Eon had grown tired of fighting and had more than earned his retirement in the few years he'd served in the king's army. It shouldn't have surprised me that Lex had continued on, always hungry for power. He had probably surpassed my father now in the king's good graces. He always put more favor on those who remained under his control.

I'm happy for you Lex. I didn't realize you were still in the army.”

Of course. I've been on leave as we're currently at peace. That being said when I return there are whispers I'll be inducted into the Oben.

Oh.” The Oben were the highest ranking members, second only in power to the king's advisors. They were his favorite soldiers. My father and Lex's had both been members in their time. My stomach filled with apprehension as I realized the situation I'd been entering was far different than I had originally thought. If Lex had also pulled out of the army Eon and our family would have automatically ranked higher because of who our father was. Now, however, Lex had surpassed us and technically outranked me. I had been told the court and king were fickle. The monarch easily favoring someone new if they played their cards right and got themselves into his inner circle. Your power influenced how quickly you climbed as well, but past a certain point networking and connections carried you onward. Lex was a strong Magik user and when he wasn't being a pain in the ass I could imagine him charming his way through court.

So, liebe, the king absolutely loves our engagement. He told my father so himself. A uniting of his favorite families is, I think, the way he put it.”

I'm happy for you Lex. I'm sure that's exactly what you wanted to hear.” He smiled at me and I didn't miss the edge to it or the glimmer of hunger in his eyes.

Why would I not be overjoyed that the king approves of my choice? I love you.” I turned away and raised the curtains again as we came to stop in front of the main palace doors. The carriage door was opened by one of the faceless guards and I hurried out, feeling Lex close behind me. I held back a gasp as the huge doors were opened and we entered the largest hall I'd ever seen. Huge marble columns stretched to the ceiling on either side of the door, their bases intricately carved with trees and flowers. A dark green carpet the color of oak leaves extended forward under our feet, leading to the thrones at the far end of the room. Each was made out of black marble, the backs large slabs that stood at least 15 feet into the air. The thrones themselves were also carved in detailed patterns that almost looked like waves, I noticed as we walked forward. Lex's arm had looped through mine as he led me toward the thrones. There were two, the smaller of which was inhabited by a woman with brunette hair with streaks of gray framing a tired face. Her brown eyes flicked over us before returning to a lady in waiting who spoke to her, offering up a dish of ruby red fruits. To her right sat the larger throne, the king reclined comfortably in it, a cushion under his back. His hair was fully gray and his dark green eyes watched our progress with great interest as his fingers plucked at a neatly trimmed salt and pepper beard. Lex bowed, awkwardly taking me with him as he smiled up at the royal couple. My throat had closed and my eyes darted between the two of them as I tried to plaster a confident smile on my face.

If it isn't my favorite new couple! Mallex I am delighted to have you back in court. These last few months have been rather dull. I understand now though! The things we men do for love!” The king laughed heartily and I watched his queen roll her eyes. Her chocolate brown eyes came to rest on me and I gave another little bow, amusement adding a kind look to her face.

He certainly is stunning, Mallex. How'd you ever convince the mysterious Alauis son to favor you of all people?” She laughed at her own comment and I found myself smiling as well. Lex's arm tightened around mine and the smile died on my lips. Bored again, the queen selected some of the offered foods from her servant, done with our conversation.

I am truly lucky. I'm happy to be back your majesty and Kalian is excited to show you his newly found gift. Of course he's distraught that his family hadn't brought him to you earlier.”

Fantastic! Let's see this gift! We have the best teachers in Dimian in our Magik school and I'm always eager to add another powerful Magik user to their alumni.”

I steeled my nerves and slowly lifted my hand. I needed the king to see my gift worthy of his private Magik school. I needed to hone it and learn how to defend myself. This meeting had been a jarring reminder that my time free from Lex wasn't indefinite. I had to get stronger.

schatz-sweetheart
liebe-love
oben-top
:thankyou:
Copyright © 2020 Demiurge; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 18
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Angry 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That Lex is fast too given that he left his horse behind and still got to Syrin first...............  😁

Edited by rockycs
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

@rockycs seeing as how it took them a short conversation moving slowly with a carriage and he had an entire night I’m thinking it still makes sense in my head 🤣

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I put my comment for the next chapter on this one by mistake. I think the steaminess scrambled my brain 😂

Edited by headtransplant
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Well the lordling is finally showing a glimmer of maturation and intelligence, just as he is realizing he is in over his head.  It appears that Lex is more than just a dumb, abusive jerk.  He is a dumb, abusive, power-hungry jerk with connections.  Let's hope Kalian gets his head out of his ass quickly enough to save himself.  

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

That conversation in the carriage wasn’t even a veiled threat, it was quite openly a warning of sorts. Yikes.

I don’t know if we’re in a distant past or a distant future setting but the casualness of same sex relationships gives me a jolt of excitement every time it’s mentioned. Perhaps I should just chalk it up to an alternative reality. The Demiurge Zone!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, Demiurge said:

@Dan South the Demiurge Zone sounds terrifying 

I assure you it is many things, dear Author. Often many things all at once, yet, still a favorite place to visit. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

As the previous commenter said, the casual way same sex relationships are accepted - as they indeed should be - is really nice.

Can't say the same for the equally casual (implied) inequality in same sex unions though. That whole bit about "then I'll be your husband and allowed - nay, expected - to beat the crap out of you" did me a right shudder... 

I mean, I get that unions in this reality aren't exactly equitable by any means, women clearly still being viewed/treated as secondary, but still. Would be nice if society's casual acceptance of one's orientation, and right to civil union, didn't appear to hinge on an equally casual demand for the - hopefully figurative - castration of one party should a same sex couple actually be wed, no?

Talon would never agree to, never mind allow, that. Twatface, on the other hand, not only demands it but relishes it.

You'd better be planning a truly mindblowing twatface takedown, Mr Writer my dude. Because if I don't get handed a nice steaming bowl of twatbollock soup by the end of this, gloves are coming off...

Yeah yeah I know, entitled af. You'll get over it.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..