Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 4,366 Words
  • 7,367 Views
  • 44 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Treading Water - 9. Chapter 9 Surfing the Waves

Love has its ups and its downs. The trick is to handle them... not let them handle you.

Treading Water

 

 

Chapter 9

 

 

Something wasn’t right. There was an emptiness that gored at Jared, terrifying him, and inducing a silent scream to explode in his mind. With heart thumping in his chest, he opened his eyes to darkness, knowing instantly he was alone. Irrational fear had him leaping from the bed. Craig. Where was he? Had he left? Was it all a dream? No. He could smell the scent of him on the bed covers and his own skin, yet it did nothing to calm him.

Hurrying past the empty bathroom, he navigated down the dark but familiar stairs with lightning speed, no thought required. Panic was overruling reason even when he saw light coming from the kitchen. The smell of coffee infiltrated his brain at the same time he burst into the brightness of the room. He stopped dead as a startled Craig whirled around and stared.

“Jared! You frightened the shit out of me. What’s wrong? You look freaked out.” Advancing slowly, he peered at him curiously.

Jared first experienced relief washing through him, and then he felt ridiculous, standing naked and obviously messed up. “I’m sorry. I just… you weren’t there when I woke up.” He cursed himself when he realized his eyes were filling up, and turned away quickly. “I’ll be right back.”

“Stop!”

Jared turned back at the sharpness of the command. When Craig closed the remaining distance and pulled him into a tight embrace, his world righted and his breathing slowed. “I think I had a bad dream, and I thought you’d left,” he found himself admitting. “It scared me.”

“I’m here, and I’m not leaving. Are you okay now?” Craig asked. “Because I don’t mind hugging my hot, naked man in our kitchen every morning if this is going to be a regular thing.”

A half-sob escaped before Jared snickered. “Sorry, I didn’t think to put clothes on.” Hearing ‘my’ and ‘our’ was what he needed to help dispel the earlier fears this wasn’t real.

“I’m not. You should come down every day for breakfast in your birthday suit. I like it… I really like it.” He chuckled as he slid his hand between them and grabbed hold of Jared’s meaty cock. “This makes the sausages I’m gonna cook look positively tiny.”

Jared laughed as he squeezed Craig tight. “I love you so much. If you only knew how much all this means to me… you being here, and loving me,” he whispered to the man with clothes on. He shivered, and he didn’t think it was because of the coolness of the early morning. “I should go grab a shower, and get dressed.”

“That might be a good idea, but not until you kiss me,” Craig pulled back to grin at him.

“Are you always going to be this demanding?”

“You have no idea, but you’ll learn.”

“I’ll be a very willing student,” Jared joked before he carried out his orders, and kissed the blond man with all the love he felt. He was pretty proud of himself when he saw the dopey look he’d put on Craig’s face. With a contented smile, he took his leave. “I’ll be back.”

“And I’ll be here… I promise.”

More words Jared rejoiced in hearing, and he ran up the still-dark stairs like a giddy little kid.

 

Sitting down to an actual home-cooked breakfast was something he hadn’t done in ages, even when he lived with Trina. He’d never felt hungry enough, despite her constant nagging about how important the first meal of the day was. On the days he had Bailey, toast was all he could manage as he sat with her and made sure she had a decent meal. Keeping her focused on her plate was not easy, he thought with a smile. When he’d moved in to help care for his grandfather, the pureed foods had put him off further, but at least he hadn’t been pestered about his eating habits. His grandpa had been too far gone to notice much detail. It had been a difficult time watching the man who’d raised him and Trina, the man he’d respected and looked up to his whole life, wither away and die with hardly a peep. A county nurse had come in daily to help, and Trina did all she could, but Jared bore the brunt of the care-giving. It was something he needed to do, and he did it willingly for those final couple of months.

He was astonished at how hungry he was as he surveyed the plates of sausage, eggs, home-fries, and toast Craig had prepared them. He’d eaten almost as much at the diner yesterday, and that had been an aberration. Yet here he was again. It had to be the sex, he thought as he dug into his plate. His stomach rumbled in delight as the first swallowed bite hit it. It was full steam ahead after that, and he finished it in ridiculously little time. When he looked over, he saw Craig still had much of his left, although he’d made a decent dent in it. He looked up to see an approving smile from the man who was his new partner… in life, love, and business.

“Don’t eat much, huh?”

Jared stammered a little. “Yeah, well… it must be the late night workouts.” He laughed when he saw Craig’s cheeks tinge red.

“Yeah, that would explain why I’m so frigging hungry too,” he confessed to the now smirking man. “Don’t you look pleased with yourself. Would that be from finishing your plate, or are you thinking about the effort you expended last night?”

“Would ‘both’ be a good answer?”

“Uh huh.”

“Good… then ‘both’ is what I’m saying.”

“You were pretty awesome, stud. You have a right to be proud of yourself. I’m still feeling the effects, and before you ask, that’s a good thing, trust me,” he asserted with an even rosier flush.

“Good to know. You’re making me hard, though.”

“Good to know,” Craig repeated Jared’s words with a teasing grin. “It’ll give you something to think about when you’re at work this morning. Do you still want me to meet you at lunch?”

“Absolutely. Meet me at my work-site, because it’s closer, and we’ll drive over to meet our client. Okay?”

“Sure, but he’s your client, not ours,” he commented.

Jared was quiet for a brief moment. “Why would you say that after what we talked about yesterday?”

“What do you mean? I’m just going to give you an opinion, right?”

“That’s not really my understanding. You talked about us being all-in yesterday, that it was about ‘ours,’ and not ‘yours and mine’ from now on.”

“That’s true, and I meant it, but I was talking about the house and money. I don’t think I’ll have much to contribute to your contracting business.”

“But I also said we were life and business partners, and you said it sounded perfect.” Jared realized then just how important this was to him, but apparently Craig didn’t.

“Yes, but you’re the contractor, not me. I’ll just be giving my occasional opinion when you want it.”

Jared felt himself getting a little exasperated. “Okay, here’s how I see it. I want us to be partners, and I’ll tell you why. I hope to be considered one of the best contractors around. I’m ashamed of what I let happen to my business, and I want to fix that… I want us to fix it, together. The bottom line in this business is that a customer has to like the finished product. Unfortunately, they don’t often use a designer. They might use an architect, but that’s usually only the case for new builds, and a lot of the business out there is renovations. Are you following me?”

Craig nodded, and Jared could see he had his attention.

“So, it’s not just that I want your opinion. I need your input. You would be giving my business an added dimension. Most people figure they know what they want, but a lot of times they really don’t. We get into the middle of a remodel or renovation, and they start changing things because they start not liking what they’re seeing, and when that happens, it usually ends up blowing the budget. I think you can guess who they end up blaming for the cost overruns, right?”

“The contractor?”

“Exactly. They often don’t get how one small change can affect a lot of other stuff. So do you see now how important your design sense can be?”

“But I’m no designer, Jared.” The uncertainty in his voice came through loud and clear.

“Okay, that’s fair. But I’ve seen what you did with that place you and Harlan had. And I’ve seen what you did in Marion’s basement. You were in this house less than five minutes and look what you came up with. You had me convinced right away. You see things I don’t, and I think with your help, we can get the business back on track.” Jared saw the skeptical look on Craig’s face. “Look around you, man. This place looks so much better already. You’ve changed the floor plan from awkward to perfect, and we haven’t even spent any money yet. It feels like a home, for the first time in a long time. You even made me see this table in a different light, and that’s an achievement in itself.” Knowing he’d been intense, he grinned to lighten things up. “So are you with me?”

Craig nodded again, slowly and thoughtfully. “I’ll do what I can.”

“Good. That means I want you to speak up today if you don’t agree with something that’s planned or suggested, all right? Be assertive if you feel strongly about something.”

“Okay, now I understand. No holding back till later?”

“Nope. No holding back. Say whatever is on your mind at the time, partner. I want the client to know he’s getting two of us for the price of one.”

“Okay, partner. It makes good business sense,” he said with more confidence.

Jared felt relief that Craig now understood. “I’ve got to get going soon. It’s almost 7:30.”

“Oh. Internet.”

“Internet? What about it?”

“What kind of plan do we have?”

“We get high-speed, but it’s just the basic plan. I forget how many gigs… not very many, why?”

“Do you mind if we increase it? I need the internet for when I start preparing income taxes for people again, and I’m finishing up my courses online. I want to finish my last two semesters, so I can get my degree. Plus, I do a lot of my shopping online. I had the unlimited package at Mom’s. I forget what it was called. We have Bell Internet here too, right?”

Jared nodded as he got up and went to the junk drawer. He remembered getting a flyer from the phone company in the mail. It was sitting right on top. He winked at Craig as he dialed the number for the internet division. Miraculously, in little more than five minutes he was upgraded to the ‘Ultimate’ package, and added Craig’s name to the account. Hanging up, he was rewarded with a hug and a greasy kiss. “Yum…you taste like sausage.” He jumped when Craig palmed his dick through his pants.

“I’d rather taste like this one, but I guess that’ll have to wait till tonight.” Craig grinned before moving away.

“I… I could be a little late?”

Craig laughed as he cradled his own plumped-up crotch. “As much as I would like that, you have a business reputation to resurrect, so off you go, and I’ll see you at noon. I know exactly where to meet you.”

“Damn.” Jared had to reach in and adjust himself, grinning back at the look on Craig’s face as he watched him pull his cock over to his hip.

“Damn is right. You, ah, better get going.”

Jared laughed, and was flooded with pure happiness. Craig was his man now, and even though he was reluctant to leave, he knew he would see him soon, and he’d be there when he got home tonight… and every night after. It was still hard to wrap his head around. The man who’d lived in his dreams for years, now shared his real world.

Craig started following him to the door, but turned and ran back to the fridge in the corner of the room. “Hold on. Don’t forget your lunch.” He handed it to Jared, and reminded him to make sure he ate it.

“Yes, dear,” he said with a grin. “I love you.” Jared kissed him goodbye at the door.

“Right back at you.”

Jared left feeling on top of the world, and was still smiling as he drove down the laneway. There was no doubt he was a different man than the one who went off to work last Friday. For the first time in a long time, he turned on the truck’s radio, and started to sing along to an old Garth Brooks song about a dance.

 

Craig watched as the big truck turned and headed north, moving out of sight. There was so much he could be thinking about, but for the moment, he leaned in the doorframe of the old porch with his eyes closed. He was home. His guy, this boyfriend who was so much more… his partner in life, had just gone off to work, leaving him behind to enjoy the caress of newborn sunlight peeking through the maples on his upturned face. He never thought, for all those lonely months, he would have this again. He could picture Jared’s face like it was right in front of him… recall the scent of the man as if he was wrapped in it. For a split second Craig revisited the desolation of losing something so precious, and his mind recoiled, but not for long. He refused to live his life in fear. Jared was a gift he would live every bit of his life for. Peace descended over him like a blanket of faith. Yes, he would live for both of them, and for Harlan, who never got the chance. Turning, he went back into the embrace of the welcoming old house.

 

Sweat equity. He surveyed his accomplishment after an hour of frenzied energy. Ripping up the ugly ‘cushion floor’ linoleum in the kitchen had been easier than he expected it would be. Some scrap cloths under the table legs so he could slide it around, careful maneuvering of the fridge to the front of the pantry doorway, and the locating of a box-cutter hiding in a drawer, and he had begun.

First, he removed the section behind the fridge, and then slid the appliance back. Craig supposed a professional would’ve removed the oft-painted quarter-round trim that held the heavy material down, but he had done a great job of cutting along the edge, and freeing the old floor covering. He couldn’t believe his luck when it became apparent the seams were taped together from beneath and not glued to the actual floor. It was soon revealed why glue was unnecessary when he felt the cumbersome weight of the product. He’d persevered though, and it was rolled up in manageable sections. Securing them with duct tape, they were now lying at the side of the lane-way, ready to be taken away. That was a job for the hunky man with the big truck.

The difference was astonishing. Beautiful, newly-revealed old pine boards ran straight from the kitchen through the old dining room, now family room. The condition of them was a real surprise. Craig had expected some damaged areas but there were none. Whatever kind of finish—varnish or shellac—was on the wood, it appeared to be intact, although there were a few scuff marks. There was a color change between the kitchen and family room, where the linoleum had ended, and a pattern of screw holes where a metal strip had been, but even that was not an issue. Those things just added more character.

To Craig, it looked better than fine, and the idea of sanding the dull but rich glow of the old patina did not sit well at all. A good mopping, and a few coats of wax might be the better way to go to protect what had taken years to achieve. He would see what Jared thought… maybe he knew the right product to use for protecting the old coating… but to him it appeared they might have saved a lot of money. Sitting at the vintage table now centered in front of the large window, he looked around feeling very pleased. He could picture classic press-back chairs around the table, adding a different but compatible flavor. Smiling to the empty room, he admitted to himself he had begun nesting. There was so much still to do, but they had a lifetime to do it in. Maybe he could order a new island next? Or the countertops?

 

He was a little nervous as Jared’s work-site came into view. It was a new six-bay, do-it-yourself car-wash build that, from what Craig could see, was mostly concrete block and steel construction. It looked as if there was to be a business of some sort at one end. He spied Jared’s truck immediately, off by itself, and pulled onto a patch of brown grass next to it. It was early yet, so he waited for a couple of minutes, enjoying the slight breeze through his Jeep’s windows. He had just opened his door and stepped out when he saw Jared striding toward him. A kiss in plain view of the busy site was not exactly expected, but welcomed in a big way. They both grinned a little shyly as they pulled apart.

“Hey.”

“Hey, yourself. That was a nice greeting.”

“I enjoyed it. Come on, I want you to meet a friend of mine, and then we’ll get going. He’s the general contractor for this job.”

They walked over to a burly, middle-aged man with an abundance of hair everywhere, including coming out of his ears. He’d just finished talking with two men and was turning away as they reached him. Craig saw kind eyes in the weather-beaten face.

“Angie, this is my partner, Craig. Craig, meet Angelo Raponi. He’s the friend who made sure I had some work over the last year, and rides to get to them. I owe him a lot.”

“Aw, you don’t owe me nothing, Tarzan,” he said with a grin, and Jared groaned. “So, you’re the one who has him bouncing around like a rubber ball today?” He stuck his hand out for a handshake. “You, I owe. I’ve gotten two days of work out of him already this morning. Happy to meet you, young fella. You look pretty strong… need a job?”

“Ah, no, but thanks. It’s nice to meet you too.” Craig was surprised this man knew about him, and he guessed his feelings showed on his face.

“Angie was the one person I could confide in when things were not so good. He kind of saw me at my worst. I told him how I was feeling… about you and stuff.” Jared looked a little awkward, and Angie came to his rescue.

“That’s what friends are for, am I right, Craig?”

“Yeah, you are, and I’m glad Jared had you to talk to.” He didn’t know what else to say, but felt real pleasure, pride even, in knowing he wasn’t a secret.

“Okay, off you go. I know I’m going to lose this fellow soon, Craig, but he’s too good at being the boss to stay a laborer. You better be back after your meeting… take a little extra time if you need it,” he directed to Jared.

“I’ll be back. It shouldn’t take much more than an hour.” Jared grabbed Craig’s hand and they hurried off towards the truck, waving goodbye to the big man watching them with a smile on his face.

“Did you eat your lunch?”

“No, dear, not yet,” Jared said in amusement. “How about you drive and I’ll eat?” He opened the back door of the crew cab and grabbed his sandwich bag out of the ever-present cooler.

“Okay, but I’m not used to something this big.”

“Are we talking about the truck?” Jared’s eyes were sparkling as the got in the front seat.

Craig laughed. “For now we are, but yeah, there’s that too.” He looked pointedly downward and licked his lips, making his partner chuckle.

“Tarzan?”

“Damn, I knew that wouldn’t get by you.” Jared began eating the first sandwich with gusto as Craig carefully backed the truck up, and pulled forward out onto the road.

“So, why Tarzan?”

“Because of how I scramble around, over and under beams. A couple of guys started calling me that and now everyone does. I don’t have fear of heights like some of them do.” Jared continued wolfing down his lunch.

Craig drove for a few hundred feet before pulling over onto the shoulder of the quiet highway and leaping out. He made it to the front of the truck before he started retching. A pair of strong hands on his shoulders were met with some violent shuddering, as Craig reeled at the memories bombarding him. He hadn’t seen Harlan fall, but he’d imagined it over and over again.

“Craig, are you all right? Craig? Talk to me. Are you sick?”

Craig shook his head.

“No, you’re not sick—or no, you’re not all right?

Craig stood erect and walked away from Jared, and around the truck to get some paper napkins he knew were on the front seat. Wiping his mouth, his fear was turning into rage. He knew it was uncalled for even as he let it build.

Jared approached him again, looking concerned, but saying nothing.

Craig met his eyes. “Harlan fell and died, and you know that. And now I find out you are being reckless, swinging from fucking beams.” His eyes filled but he kept going. “I can’t fucking do this, Jared. I can’t get another one of those calls because you think it’s okay to play Tarzan. I… I need to go home. I really can’t do this.”

Jared looked both shocked and stricken. “Craig, do you mean our home… or do you mean your mother’s place?”

Craig looked into pain-filled blue again, something he never wanted to see there... never wanted to be responsible for putting there. He looked down, away from those eyes. What did he want to do? The thought of Harlan’s horrible plunge was foremost in his mind, only now, he saw Jared taking that same fall. “I don’t know,” he mumbled, the rage replaced by sudden weariness. “I’m stuck, Jared. Help me?”

Jared closed the meager distance between them, taking Craig into his arms and holding him securely. This was where Craig needed to be as he fought the demons of fear and loss. When Jared began to speak, it was gentle and soothing. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have been so flippant. It was idiotic not to think about what my scrambling around would bring up for you. I win the prize for sheer stupidity today, but I promise you here and now, I will never be careless or reckless. If you want, I’ll promise you that as a contractor, I’ll keep my feet firmly planted on the ground, and I’ll leave any high-up work to the other guys. Craig? I swear that what happened… before… will never happen to me. I can’t promise I’ll never have an accident, but neither can you. No one can. Do you still want… to leave?”

Craig listened to every word, and the mental pictures slowly receded. His heart-rate slowed and strength returned. Then remorse hit him for what he’d caused in Jared’s eyes. He blurted out a mess of feelings. “It was hard for me to think, but I only meant I needed to curl up in bed. I didn’t want to leave you. I only have one home, and that’s with you. I couldn’t climb out of that place, though. It grabbed hold of me again, and I’m sorry if I hurt you. Thank you for rescuing me… I thought I was done with those memories, but I guess they still have some power over me.” He was afraid to look at Jared. He was afraid of seeing that pain again, but when he pulled back and hazarded a glance, what he saw was relief, and love that shone bright.

“You never have to apologize for what you went through, or what you still might need to deal with. As long as you let me share it with you, that’s all I’ll ask. If I lost you now, it would finish me. Do you want to go home and climb into bed?”

Craig jerked with the realization they had a meeting to get to. “Hell, no! We have to meet our client. I’m fine now, Jared, but can you drive? I just need a few minutes.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. Yes! Let’s go.”

Jared kept a grip on Craig. “You’re way more important than any meeting; you know that, right?”

Craig sighed, and relaxed. “Yes, I do, but really, I’m fine. This meeting is important to both of us, and I can’t let a little setback interfere. I’m sorry my freaking out worried you, but I’m fine now. I believed you when you promised you won’t be careless, and no, you don’t have to keep your feet planted on the ground. What happened to Harlan was a fluke, and my brain understands that. I’m not going to live my life in fear. Now, can we please go?”

Jared grinned, and swooped in for a kiss, but Craig stopped him.

“I just vomited.”

“Oh yeah. Not a good idea then?”

“No, definitely not.”

“Rain-check?”

“Soon as I can rinse and spit a few times.”

“There’s water in the cooler.”

“Oh, good. Lucky us.”

“Yup. Lucky us. I’ll get it.”

Much thanks, as always, to my editor, Timothy M., and to all those who support my endeavors. Any discussion of the story can take place in the COTT thread of the promising author forum:
www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/39932-cards-on-the-table-by-headstall/
Copyright © 2016 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 66
  • Love 19
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Nicely done chapter! Obviously both guys have "abandonment" issues; I'm really more surprised at Craig's response. It's been long enough I'd have though he'd worked past most of that.
And, really surprised they had to go back over the partnership thing again. Was that insecurity that really caused that?
Regardless, it's nice to have the story move along, and the acceptance of a coworker is a great thing! You did well here.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I'm a bit surprised at some of the reactions here. Like they are so unsure of being together, even though have been for a few days i guess, but they've known each other for years. Hopefully they'll find that belief soon.
And I'm surprised by Craig. I thought he was he stronger of the two. I guess I can understand the melt down but wow it was just a surprise. He's so afraid that Jared will go the way of Harlan, there just seem to be the trust or belief in each other yet. Hopefully that is built soon or these two wont make it I dont think..
Good Chapter.. though Gary
tim

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Great chapter. I love the gradual building trust between Craig and Jared. Two steps forward, one step back. Looking forward to the next chapter, and the next....

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Since they each have issues with difficult backgrounds, I suppose it's inevitable these little land mines will surprise, from time to time.

 

The good thing was each time they recovered they were in each others arms. If that becomes imprinted in their brains, then the future looks promising.

 

Nice chapter Gary. While it looked like bumps in the road, there was a lot of paving going on. :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Both of these men still have demons lurking in their subconscious, ready to feed them doubt and fear at a moments notice. I get why Jared was scared when he woke up. Bad dreams can put you in a bad mindset before your brain has a chance to register what's going on around you. The good thing is, he told Craig what happened and seemed to get past it fairly quickly.
Given the way Harlan died, I'm not surprised that Craig was upset about the 'Tarzan' nickname, but I was surprised by the depth of the fear he still has. I honestly think Jared may have had a bit of a death-wish without even realizing what his actions meant at the time, so Craig did have some cause for concern.
I think both Jared and Craig are good for each other, but trust does take time. Luckily they have all the time in the world and both men aren't afraid to be honest with each other about their fears and their insecurities.
Great job, Gary. :hug:

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A short and sweet review...

 

It's easy to forget that despite all the progress that they made, they still face their own demons. :( Thankfully, Jared and Craig have each other to lean on and together they can fully heal from all the trauma they each went through. :)

 

My favorite thing about this chapter, was how quickly Jared and Craig recovered and bounced back. They didn't let their issues take over for long, and it shows the strength and determination each one has to move beyond their wounds.

 


Thank you Gary for another beautiful chapter :hug:

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/22/2016 08:18 AM, Robert Rex said:

Nicely done chapter! Obviously both guys have "abandonment" issues; I'm really more surprised at Craig's response. It's been long enough I'd have though he'd worked past most of that.

And, really surprised they had to go back over the partnership thing again. Was that insecurity that really caused that?

Regardless, it's nice to have the story move along, and the acceptance of a coworker is a great thing! You did well here.

Hey, Rex. I think in normal circumstances, Craig would move past Harlan's death, and I think he has, but he can't forget the horrible way Harlan died. His reaction was about losing Jared to a fall like Harlan's and that scared him to the core and took him back to that awful place. I think the business part of the partnership was about Jared's insecurity, yes. I believe he thought Craig was pulling back, but soon realized he just didn't understand its importance to Jared. They continue to give each other what they need, but they only been together two days... their baggage has to be dealt with, for sure... thanks for the great review, buddy... cheers... Gary...

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 03/22/2016 08:39 AM, Mikiesboy said:

I'm a bit surprised at some of the reactions here. Like they are so unsure of being together, even though have been for a few days i guess, but they've known each other for years. Hopefully they'll find that belief soon.

And I'm surprised by Craig. I thought he was he stronger of the two. I guess I can understand the melt down but wow it was just a surprise. He's so afraid that Jared will go the way of Harlan, there just seem to be the trust or belief in each other yet. Hopefully that is built soon or these two wont make it I dont think..

Good Chapter.. though Gary

tim

Thanks, tim. I think being together is almost too good for them to believe yet. Jared showed when he woke up, just how frightened he is of losing Craig, and with Craig we saw the same in the afternoon. I applaud him for moving past Harlan, so that he and Jared have their chance, but I can see how fragile he is over how Harlan died. Jared is in the same line of work, and 'Tarzan' put him over the edge. Like Craig did in the morning, Jared brought him back from that awful place. You're right... they have some work to do, some baggage to get rid of, but I think they're getting there. I can't see either one ever letting go. I see why you think of Craig as the strong one, and to a point you're right, but I think Jared is fast gaining his strength back. Thanks for a great review, my friend... cheers... Gary....

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 03/22/2016 09:48 AM, Zenith said:

Great chapter. I love the gradual building trust between Craig and Jared. Two steps forward, one step back. Looking forward to the next chapter, and the next....

Thank you, Zenith. Two steps forward, one step back... well put. Today was a big day towards building that trust. These guys deserve to get there... I appreciate the review and the support, buddy... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

So Craig finally shows he isn't always the rock himself and there are a few cracks in his armor as well. Maybe not the bullet holes that are in Jared's armor but still some cracks. I think it is apropos that we see some of both of their insecurities. I don't think they are demons as some have suggested but insecurity and fear. In some cases where people need constant reassurance in a relationship it is caused by jealousy or a controlling nature - a personality issue that is usually to be avoided in my opinion. But in the case of our boys we need to remember that their insecurities and fear of losing the other is not borne of personality flaws or a desire to control or monitor the other but from a real place of not wanting history to repeat itself. They were ripped from each other just as their love was developing by someone they both trusted and shouldn't have, then they were continuously kept apart and from finding each other by both choices and manipulations. That's not something that you just forget and deal with in a few days even if the devil that dealt the blow has been vanquished. I think realizing their love and grabbing on to it with both hands was much easier to deal with in a few days then getting over the fear that they will somehow lose it again will be for a while. Sometimes people are paranoid for no reason and it is annoying. These boys, er men, are working themselves through paranoia and fears that are based on history and some terrible mistakes. Had these two not been kept apart they may not have what they have now - attaining what you thought you could never have is knowledge added to the love that enhances and clarifies the rare gift that love is but it also creates fear. I'm glad to see that Jared isn't alone in his fears. I am also glad they both have the other to help them work through those fears. Anyone that lost someone they love to an accident would be fearful of it happening again so I get that it wasn't about Harlan, but about not being able to even fathom losing Jared now that he Great job Gary.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

They were surfing the wave of their love and perhaps unprepared for sudden rough spots or what happens when you cross the line and lose your balance. I was impressed by the way they handled every situation, with respect and honesty and caring. Most importantly they did not dismiss the fear of their partner, no matter now irrational, but gave support and reassurance and love. In hindsight, it's easy to understand why Jared would worry about everything being a dream - and later about Craig pulling back due to the hit on he sore spot of Harlan's death. I can also see how Craig could be unsure about his role as Jared's business partner and have a panic attack at the sudden idea of Jared taking Harlan's place that way too.
The important lesson here - the 'trick' - is to deal with the knocks and get back up and ride the surf again, knowing your partner will be there to help and cheer you on.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Whew! I see why the name for this chapter fits so well. Up, down, up down, poor guys must feel seasick. Poor Craig actually losing his lunch, seemed apt. But how wonderful apt is the support and love Jared and Craig demonstrate for each other throughout this chapter. These are the strong bonds that will hold them fast to break whatever fall either one may experience. Thanks for a great chapter!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

As much as they do know each other, there is still a lot for each of them to learn as well.

 

Triggers will be hit, but, it's how they deal with the fall out that's important. As long as they work together and don't shut the other out, they will be great...

 

:hug:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/22/2016 10:45 AM, skinnydragon said:

Since they each have issues with difficult backgrounds, I suppose it's inevitable these little land mines will surprise, from time to time.

 

The good thing was each time they recovered they were in each others arms. If that becomes imprinted in their brains, then the future looks promising.

 

Nice chapter Gary. While it looked like bumps in the road, there was a lot of paving going on. :)

Love this review, skinny! I agree there was a lot of 'paving going on, and more will be needed as they build their confidence. It's very easy to get gun shy in relationships after you've been hurt. I've seen in my friends and myself. I like how you point out that being in each others arms is the best way to get them past the bumpy bits. Wonderful review, my friend... Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/22/2016 11:44 AM, LitLover said:

Both of these men still have demons lurking in their subconscious, ready to feed them doubt and fear at a moments notice. I get why Jared was scared when he woke up. Bad dreams can put you in a bad mindset before your brain has a chance to register what's going on around you. The good thing is, he told Craig what happened and seemed to get past it fairly quickly.

Given the way Harlan died, I'm not surprised that Craig was upset about the 'Tarzan' nickname, but I was surprised by the depth of the fear he still has. I honestly think Jared may have had a bit of a death-wish without even realizing what his actions meant at the time, so Craig did have some cause for concern.

I think both Jared and Craig are good for each other, but trust does take time. Luckily they have all the time in the world and both men aren't afraid to be honest with each other about their fears and their insecurities.

Great job, Gary. :hug:

Thanks, Lit! You raise a really good point. Jared may or may not have had a death wish, but for sure, I think there were times he had no concern for himself. Bailey is what kept him going... really, nothing else. I get Craig's fear. Harlan lingered for a week before he passed, and he was a broken mass. Imagine how many times Craig pictured that fall that took him away. He sat there without hope, day after day, with Jared at his side as he performed his death watch. Horrifying. Perfect review, my dear friend... thank you... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/22/2016 12:46 PM, Jade1988 said:

5 stars for another amazing chapter!!!! I love Jared and Craig!!!

Thank you, Jade! This review means a lot. I so appreciate your support for this little story, and I love them too! I'll take 5 stars any day... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/22/2016 02:24 PM, Drew Espinosa said:

A short and sweet review...

 

It's easy to forget that despite all the progress that they made, they still face their own demons. :( Thankfully, Jared and Craig have each other to lean on and together they can fully heal from all the trauma they each went through. :)

 

My favorite thing about this chapter, was how quickly Jared and Craig recovered and bounced back. They didn't let their issues take over for long, and it shows the strength and determination each one has to move beyond their wounds.

 

 

Thank you Gary for another beautiful chapter :hug:

Thank you, Drew! I'm glad you got that. Your review might be short and sweet but it is perfect. Thank you for all your support, little buddy... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/22/2016 03:16 PM, pzetts3 said:

So Craig finally shows he isn't always the rock himself and there are a few cracks in his armor as well. Maybe not the bullet holes that are in Jared's armor but still some cracks. I think it is apropos that we see some of both of their insecurities. I don't think they are demons as some have suggested but insecurity and fear. In some cases where people need constant reassurance in a relationship it is caused by jealousy or a controlling nature - a personality issue that is usually to be avoided in my opinion. But in the case of our boys we need to remember that their insecurities and fear of losing the other is not borne of personality flaws or a desire to control or monitor the other but from a real place of not wanting history to repeat itself. They were ripped from each other just as their love was developing by someone they both trusted and shouldn't have, then they were continuously kept apart and from finding each other by both choices and manipulations. That's not something that you just forget and deal with in a few days even if the devil that dealt the blow has been vanquished. I think realizing their love and grabbing on to it with both hands was much easier to deal with in a few days then getting over the fear that they will somehow lose it again will be for a while. Sometimes people are paranoid for no reason and it is annoying. These boys, er men, are working themselves through paranoia and fears that are based on history and some terrible mistakes. Had these two not been kept apart they may not have what they have now - attaining what you thought you could never have is knowledge added to the love that enhances and clarifies the rare gift that love is but it also creates fear. I'm glad to see that Jared isn't alone in his fears. I am also glad they both have the other to help them work through those fears. Anyone that lost someone they love to an accident would be fearful of it happening again so I get that it wasn't about Harlan, but about not being able to even fathom losing Jared now that he Great job Gary.

Again, a perfectly stated summation of what is going on here. I appreciate how you see their fears are justified, and not born of drama or weakness. Every single word of this review is what I was writing about, and that is very validating. there is nothing worse for me in writing than feeling like I didn't get across what I wanted to. Thank you so much for 'getting it.' Of course, you always do. Cheers and much love... Gary...

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/22/2016 09:31 PM, Timothy M. said:

They were surfing the wave of their love and perhaps unprepared for sudden rough spots or what happens when you cross the line and lose your balance. I was impressed by the way they handled every situation, with respect and honesty and caring. Most importantly they did not dismiss the fear of their partner, no matter now irrational, but gave support and reassurance and love. In hindsight, it's easy to understand why Jared would worry about everything being a dream - and later about Craig pulling back due to the hit on he sore spot of Harlan's death. I can also see how Craig could be unsure about his role as Jared's business partner and have a panic attack at the sudden idea of Jared taking Harlan's place that way too.

The important lesson here - the 'trick' - is to deal with the knocks and get back up and ride the surf again, knowing your partner will be there to help and cheer you on.

Yes, that is the lesson here. And even more so may be that they didn't dismiss each other's fears... they understood them. It was what allowed them to surf over them. I thank you for a wonderful review, buddy... cheers... Gary...

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/22/2016 11:17 PM, Parker Owens said:

Whew! I see why the name for this chapter fits so well. Up, down, up down, poor guys must feel seasick. Poor Craig actually losing his lunch, seemed apt. But how wonderful apt is the support and love Jared and Craig demonstrate for each other throughout this chapter. These are the strong bonds that will hold them fast to break whatever fall either one may experience. Thanks for a great chapter!

Thank you for a great review, Parker! These are men who feel things strongly. They have baggage... damage if you will, and I think they proved in this chapter that they have the right partner. I'm so glad you got this. Thank you for the supportive words, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/23/2016 09:24 PM, Caz Pedroso said:

As much as they do know each other, there is still a lot for each of them to learn as well.

 

Triggers will be hit, but, it's how they deal with the fall out that's important. As long as they work together and don't shut the other out, they will be great...

 

:hug:

Thank you, Caz! I think this is only the beginning for them. In a new relationship, no matter how long you've known one another, you need to talk, and be open and attentive to your partner's needs. I think we all tend to pretend things are okay when they aren't. I find it refreshing that these two wear their hearts on their sleeves. This means too much to both of them to screw around with, and I think we learn here that they won't. It doesn't matter what it is... they will be there for each other, whether it's just listening, or trying to make it better. Thanks you so much, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh poor Craig.. But I get it.. I was in an accident a while ago, well not really.. A stop sign came out of nowhere. But sometimes when I have to make that turn, I panic and go straight. I get that feeling of dread other times it's no problem. So I understand how even after so long Harlan's accident will creep up on Craig and affect him so physically, especially with Jared's line of work..

 

Communication is key. They're still new, and still learning. Sure they've known each other forever, but they led separate lives so there's much to know yet. It's how they handle it that will determine if they ride the wave or crash. So far they seem to be headed the right way. They are commited so they need to learn to trust that and in each other to get them through..

 

Nice chapter Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/25/2016 02:23 AM, Defiance19 said:

Oh poor Craig.. But I get it.. I was in an accident a while ago, well not really.. A stop sign came out of nowhere. But sometimes when I have to make that turn, I panic and go straight. I get that feeling of dread other times it's no problem. So I understand how even after so long Harlan's accident will creep up on Craig and affect him so physically, especially with Jared's line of work..

 

Communication is key. They're still new, and still learning. Sure they've known each other forever, but they led separate lives so there's much to know yet. It's how they handle it that will determine if they ride the wave or crash. So far they seem to be headed the right way. They are commited so they need to learn to trust that and in each other to get them through..

 

Nice chapter Gary...

Thanks, Def. I appreciate your thoughts and insights. Some memories are hard to put to rest. You're right about communication... if you don't have it, you don't have a chance. I really appreciate your support... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

One thing I'm seeing as Craig and Jared weather their ups and downs is that, no matter what, they won't quit on each other. They still have issues that erupt in anger and/or fear, but it will never be enough to end what is only just starting.
I know that their love for each other has a lot to do with never giving up, but I think too, that because they actually talk to each other and communicate they will always be able to resolve any issue that comes between them. That and being able to lean on each other and accept each other's help is going to go a long way to making these two survive and thrive as a couple.
As always, nicely done Gary.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..