Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shadow of my Father - 30. Chapter 30

I rarely do this, but as I wrote this chapter I felt I needed to say a few words before you start reading it. I try to stay as true to the facts as possible. As I wrote out this chapter, I researched the events. There is not much written on the net about the inauguration of the governor of Texas.

If you read this chapter and you know more facts that my editor or I were able to locate, please forgive if I didn’t get it right. Again I tried to stay as true to the facts as I could, but I couldn’t find much on it. Keep in mind that this is fiction and at times this story is not going to be true to the events on the timeline during that time.

Keep that in mind as you read this chapter and I hope you enjoy it. When you drop me an email, please keep in mind what I just wrote. Please read and enjoy this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it. Thank you all for continuing with me sagas.

Chapter 30

Rose Hernandez sat looking out of the window as they fly over Texas. She can’t believe that her son will be the governor of Texas at this time tomorrow. It seems still, as a dream that she hasn't woken up from yet.

For some reason Rose started thinking about her late husband. She knows that this should be a happy time in her life, but she couldn’t help but think of her late husband. Everything that is going on now is all because of him. Daniel has not forgotten his father and has always said if it wasn’t for his father, he wouldn’t be where he is today.

If only Isaac Lopez, Daniel’s father, could be alive today to see all the sacrifices he made are paying off. How proud he would be standing at his son’s side tomorrow morning as he takes the oath of office. He would never have imagined that he molded a son who would become the Governor of Texas.

There were times that Isaac didn't know they were going to make it from day to day. As he grew up, education wasn't a priority. Getting out to work and help support the family was the only thing he was taught and knew to do. Unlike today everything is education, education and education. That is the only way anyone will get anywhere in their lives today is by getting a higher education than a high school diploma.

Isaac was the only one in his family that took education more seriously as far as his brothers and sister are concerned. He finished high school and got a teacher's degree. Although he could only speak Spanish, it didn't stop Isaac from working.

He woke up at four the morning and would head to Juarez to teach until mid afternoon. Before heading into his evening job, he would go home and eat a meal and take a nap. At four in the evening he would head off to his second job downtown. He managed and worked with a small crew cleaning offices in a building of twenty floors.

As the years wore on, Isaac was able to buy a small house large enough for their family. Nothing fancy, just a three-bedroom, one bath, kitchen, dining room and living room home. To others it may seem like a small home, but to us it was a mansion.

Isaac did everything for his family. He never once complained or regretted any decision he had made. In his way of thinking he would kill himself in order to keep his family fed and in clothing. His family is the only people he really cared about. If anyone would put his family down he would fight for their honor.

Until the day Isaac died, he held on to both of his jobs. When he started to feel sick, he never thought of going to a doctor until it was too late. When he finally went to the free clinic and got diagnosed with cancer it was way too late for the doctors to do anything for Isaac at that point.

When Isaac finally ended up in the hospital and started to succumb to his illness, he asked to go home and die in his own home. The doctors explained to him and his family that he would not make it past the holidays, but he didn't care. He wanted to die at home, in the house that he worked so hard to buy.

The Monday before Thanksgiving in nineteen eighty-eight, his doctors told him that he was not going to live much longer. A little after midnight on Thanksgiving Day, Isaac passed away in his bed, in his home surrounded by his family.

Rose knows that if he was here today, he would want her to enjoy herself. This is a day of celebration, not a day for mourning. Their son has accomplished something they thought was out of reach for anyone in their family.

She got out of her seat and walked over to her son. He stopped talking with his staff as she approached him. She sat down next to Daniel and grabbed a hold of his hand. Daniel just looked at his mother as she rubbed their hands together.

“You know how proud I am of you, don’t you Daniel?” Rose looked in her son eyes as he slowly nodded his head up and down. “You also know that if your father was alive how happy he would be for you as well. He would run up and down every street and brag about how wonderful and how successful you are.”

“I know mom and I know all that I have today is because of you and dad. Both of you taught me the meaning of work. Not to take anything for granted no matter how good your life is going at the moment. There is always going to be someone or something around the next corner. I am going to take what you and dad taught me to keep me in my place.”

Rose let go of her son's hand and she got up and left. She needed make sure that her son understands how happy she is and how happy his father would be if he was still alive. She hasn't really told Daniel in words on how happy she is with everything he has done in his life. She sat back down looking over at her grandchildren as they talked.

As the plane approached Austin Bergstrom International Airport, the fasten seat belt light came on. Everyone took their seats and looked out their windows as the plane landed. Josh though didn't look out the window until the plane came to a complete stop.

They noticed the huge crowd that had gathered on the tarmac waiting for their Governor Elect to arrive. The seatbelt light turned off, letting the passengers know that it's safe to gather their personal belongings and move toward the door.

Once they gathered everything, they lined up to exit the plane. They heard the cheers for Daniel get louder and louder. The greeting felt like they are rock band getting ready to go on stage. At least that is how the crowd is acting. Over the crowd, they heard someone knocking on the door, it opened and the stairs got pushed up to the plane.

Just as Josh and his brothers were about to exit off the plane, they got held back. They didn’t understand why they were being held back, than it dawned on them. They need to exit with their father as a family.

Daniel with his family stepped out of the plane to the cheering crowd. Daniel waved at the crowd as he walked down the stairs. Josh and his brothers actually waved a couple of times as they smiled at the cameras taking pictures of them with their father.

Josh and his brothers walked with their father as he headed over to the rope line to shake hands. Josh was surprised when the crowd reached out to shake his hand as well. He looked over at his brothers and saw that they are shaking hands with those that extended their hand to be shaken. Josh smiled and started shaking hands with anyone that wanted to shake his hand.

After shaking hands for almost a half an hour, they walked over to their limousines. Josh, his brothers and their friends got into one and his father and the others got into the other. The sirens of the police vehicles started to blare as the cars started to move.

As they drove out of the airport, all of them glued themselves to the windows. They wanted to take in everything they see. The limousines are going slow because of the crowds in the streets gathered to greet the Governor Elect. That is giving Josh and everyone a chance to take it all in.

Just like in El Paso, once they got onto the freeway, the convey started to go the speed limit. Josh couldn’t stop looking out the window as they drove through the city of Austin. Soon they will be calling this their second home. As they drove Josh looked around at the city and realized on how much bigger it is than El Paso and more confusing.

The convoy exited off the freeway and headed over to the hotel. The police vehicles stopped at the entrance of the driveway as their limousines drove up to the front door of the hotel. Several bellmen walked over to the limousines and opened the doors.

As the family and friends got out of the car, they were met with flashing lights and questions being yelled at them from the streets. Daniel looked over and waved as he started to walk to the door followed by his kids.

They didn't even have to check-in. They went straight up to their rooms. Once they got off of the elevator, Daniel called everyone over to him. He made sure that everyone understood that they are going to be sharing a room with either one or three other people. The main family will be in the suite with joining rooms.

Josh and his brothers followed Daniel and their grandmother to the main suite. As they walked in, they thought they had rented an apartment not a hotel room. This room has a living room, dining room, with a small kitchen and three separate bedrooms.

Daniel took one room, their grandmother took the other and that leaves the third bedroom to be shared by the four sons. As they walked into the room they found two queen sized beds, a nightstand separating them and a television.

“Look, why don't we make it easy as far sleeping arrangements. It's going to be two to a bed so that means that me and Carlos in one bed, and Josh and Brandon in the other bed.” Daniel Jr. pointed to the beds as they walked in.

No one objected to the arrangement Daniel, Jr. offered. They walked back out to the living room as the bellmen brought in their luggage. Each of them grabbed their own suitcase and took them to their separate room. Daniel is the last one out to get his luggage so he tipped the bellmen.

Josh laid his suitcase in the corner of the room before heading out to see Cesar. The minute he walked out the door of the room, Josh was met by several armed guards. He froze at the door looking over each of the guard standing before him.

“You can’t leave this room young man, unless you are accompanied by one of us. Even then you must give us prior notice of where you're going before you go.” One of the guards spoke up as he walked towards Josh.

“You will stop where you're at and not speak to any of these kids that way. Your job is to assist the main security detail, not run it. Josh is under my watch, and he is my responsibility one hundred percent of the time.”

Josh looked over to see Jonathan walking towards him. “Josh, come here please. No matter where you go, I am the one that is responsible for you. That is as far as your security is concerned. Now please let me know, where are you going right now?”

“I'm just going over to see Cesar and his room. I didn't know that my father has asked for extra security detail to be added to his already heavy security detail.”

“From now on your father is going to have more security around him than he's ever had in the past. He is about to be sworn in as the Governor and they want to make sure he is safe. But again, Josh, as far as you are concerned I am still the one in charge of your security detail. With that in mind, you still need to let me know ahead of time when you are planning to go anywhere. You know that; don’t ever leave without me at your side.”

Jonathan patted Josh on his shoulders as they walked to Cesar’s room. Jonathan knocked on the door and walked in. He came back out and held the door open for Josh to go in. Josh looked around the room and saw Chris and Cesar standing at the foot of their beds.

“Trust me when I say this you guys I did not asked for you guys to be in the same room. I guess my father figured that it was best to put you guys together to keep away from any kind of arguments or fights.” Josh laughed as he walked over to the beds.

“Hey we have two roommates ourselves in here. That means the joke is on you. Chris and I are going to be sharing a bed. Who knows what that may lead to?” Cesar playfully grabbed a hold of Chris and pulled Chris to him.

Josh started laughing as he watched he current boyfriend playfully play with is ex. What made it funnier is that Chris is actually playing along with it. Josh liked seeing this and that is another sign that they are able to move on and be friends.

Josh got up from the bed he sat on and tackled Cesar and Chris. They started to play fight on the bed. Brandon’s friends walked in and just looked at Josh, Cesar and Chris tumbling around on the bed. They walked over to the bed that wasn’t messed up and sat down.

“Hey, hey, this room can’t become a zoo. If you guys want to fight or whatever you are doing, you will need to take it out to another room. We want peace and quiet in here.”

Josh got up and straightened up his clothes. “Look, if you want to act like old men, fine, but don’t ever talk down at me or my friends. You guys don’t even have hair one between your legs and you are acting all superior. We were just playing, blowing off steam. We all just got off a plane where we were sitting on our butts for hours.”

“I am sorry Josh! It came out all wrong on what I was trying to say. Maybe I am just tired from that plane ride you mentioned. I know there is no excuse. I got a little jet lag and want to take a nap, that’s all.”

“Jet lag, I don’t believe in that stuff. I think it is just in your mind when it comes down to it. You probably hear it on television or you parents say it all the time and now you feel it because you think it. Anyways, we are cool; we will leave you to take a nap.”

Josh, Cesar and Chris walked out of the room over to his. When they walked in, Cesar and Chris just looked around it. They can’t believe they actually have this suite and they are stuck in a bedroom with tiny wannabe adults.

“I don’t see why we can’t sleep in the living room. We can actually make it like a camping trip or something like that. Please Josh, ask you father and see if he would let us stay here in the living room. We will not cause any problems.” Cesar walked in front of Josh putting his hands together as he asked.

“I really don’t think I have to ask him. My brothers and I have to share a room. I’d rather sleep out here with you anyways. Let’s just go with the flow and make it a sleep over. My dad won’t object as long as we are not sleeping together.”

Brandon walked in at that moment and jumped into the conversation. “If you are going to sleep out here Josh, I want to as well. Let Carlos and Daniel have the room all to themselves. It will make them happy and us happy at the same time.”

Josh walked over to his brother and pulled him towards him. They all sat down and started watching television. The minute they turned to the pay per-view channels, they noticed all the movies are on for free. They just had to choose a movie to watch it.

Although they had the television on loud, they couldn’t hear it half of the time. The room got filled with people coming in and out to visit with Daniel. Many of them are just people that want to say they have met with the Governor Elect of Texas.

All of a sudden the room went quiet. Josh looked over to see what caused this reaction. He didn’t recognize the older gentleman walking in with his own security detail around him. Whoever he is, he doesn’t look happy like the others.

Rich walked out and presented his hand to shake. The man that just walked in refused to shake his hand. Josh heard him asking to see his father. When Rich answered the man is when Josh and the others found out who he is.

Governor Puckett waited a few minutes in the doorway until Daniel invited him in. The governor walked in and looks around the room. Daniel got up and greeted Governor Puckett as he sat down in a chair.

“Mr. Lopez I do not like to be told no thank you when I invite someone over to the state house. That is disrespecting me and the office I hold. You may be Governor tomorrow, but today I am still the Governor of this state.”

“Governor Puckett, with all due respect, the last time I took you up on your invitation you treated me like the plantation owners treated their slaves in the eighteen hundreds. I won’t give you another chance to show me that kind of disrespect.”

“Mr. Lopez, we need to discuss what is going on within this state. You may not agree with the way I run things but, as of tomorrow everything is on your shoulders. I want to make sure that you are completely advised of everything.”

“Governor Puckett your staff has been briefing my staff every single day since I won the election. Unless you held something back from those briefings, I pretty much know what is going on in this state.

Like you just said that we do not see eye to eye on anything concerning the way to run this state. You had four years to do it your way, and now it's my turn. What I am hoping for is to show, at least for the next twenty-four hours, that we can show bipartisanship as this position is handed off from your office to mine.”

“I don't see why we can’t do that. What do you have in mind to show, at least for the next twenty-four hours, this bipartisanship?”

“You are still the Governor of this state, and I'm not about to step on your toes. Why don't you, your wife and any family members that are here, come to dinner with me and my family. For myself, I don't care about any photo op, but you can have it if you so desire. How does that plan sound to you, Governor Puckett?”

Governor Puckett sat in this chair thinking about what Daniel said. “I like the idea of a dinner, but not in public. It will be way too hard to clear out a restaurant on such a short notice. Why don't we have dinner at the Statehouse instead? As far as photos, I don't need any because I am done in politics as of tomorrow.”

“It was just me and my family I have no problem having dinner at the Statehouse. I have to think of all the guests that I invited and I can’t let them fend on their own. We already have a restaurant booked for dinner tonight. You and your family are more than welcome to join us at this restaurant.”

Daniel and Governor Puckett discuss the location of the restaurant and the time. They shook hands, and Governor Puckett left Daniel’s suite. As soon as the Governor left, Daniel called in Rich to change the number of people in their party for their reservations.

Soon after the Governor left, Mr. Edgar arrived at the front door. At first, the security detail didn't want to let him in. But when Josh cleared him, they let him in after searching him from head to toe.

“Josh, you are going to hate me for this. I have been wracking my head against the wall about your solo. The solo I feel needs to show honor and love at the same time. So I came up with a new song, and you're going to have to learn it on your own.

This song is sung as a solo with just a voice and either a guitar or piano. I really do believe your voice is strong enough that you're not going to need any of that stage performance to bring out the song. You sing it from your heart and what you are feeling; this song will bring tears to every person watching.”

“I am glad that you believe in me that much. You still haven’t told me the name of this song, Mr. Edgar.”

“Hallelujah, originally by Leonard Cohen, produced in nineteen eighty-four. Since then several rock, country and other artists have re-produced the song. Your voice can actually carry this song between soft rock and country music. You do not want to make it to slow or way to fast. You need to find a middle ground that brings out the song and doesn’t put people to sleep or make them put in ear plugs.”

Josh took the music sheets from Mr. Edgar and the guitar as well. He looked over the music and noticed how long the song is. Most of it’s the same lyrics over and over again, but you got to know when to sing those lyrics.

“Mr. Edgar, if I start to practice this song and run into a wall how can I get a hold of you, if that issue arises?”

“We are actually in the same hotel, but five floors down. All you have to do is dial my room number and you'll get me. No matter what you decide Josh, I will back you one hundred percent. I know your dad has a busy schedule and some of that involves you being with him and your family.”

Mr. Edgar left andJosh walked over to the chair and sat down with the sheets of music. He started to sing the song in his mind as he read it on the paper.

About an hour later, Daniel walked into the living room where all of his kids and their friends are watching television. As he walked over to his kids he stopped at his mother's room and knocked on the door. She came out and joined everyone in the living room.

“What do you guys think? Should we go out and have some dinner now?” Daniel spoke up, slapping his hands together.

Everyone turned and looked at Daniel and nodded their heads up and down. They all got up and headed to their rooms to get ready. After getting ready, they met at the elevator. Brandon hit the down button and the elevator opened.

It seemed like a circus. When they got off the elevator and headed over to the limousines, as the press is yelling out questions and taking pictures. Regular citizens are yelling for the Governor Elect to sign autographs or just wave at them.

It didn’t take long to get to the restaurant from the hotel. Josh noticed as they walked into the restaurant that they only closed off a portion of it for their party. As they got escorted to their table, Daniel saw that Governor Puckett and his family had already been seated.

Once everyone got seated and ordered their drinks and food, they started talking in their own little groups. There isn’t one conversation going on at the table, but several. That didn’t matter to anyone, they are all having fun.

The press corps pressed their cameras against the window trying to get a photo of them eating and talking. At one point, photographers actually broke through and started taking pictures as he ran by. Josh and the others couldn’t help but laugh at the scene.

Governor Puckett and Daniel didn't talk about politics during dinner. Instead they talked about their families. Governor Puckett’s kids are all grown and have families of their own. In fact, he is already a grandfather times eight over.

“To tell you the truth I'm going to miss going to the office and working everyday, but not the headaches of this job. Everyone that criticizes us has never held a political office such as this. Some of the criticism I deserved and some of it I didn't.

I guess I'm trying to say is I'm going to miss the job, but I'm not. When I leave office tomorrow I'm going to love spending time with my grandchildren. I missed out on my kids growing up. Now I'm going to try and make it up with my grandchildren. I spent all of their youth building my career.

One thing I would like to leave Daniel is this: Don't let this job run you, you run this job. I let every job I held in my political career run my life. In return, I lost moments of my children's lives that I will never get back. You are young and your kids are young. Don't make the same mistake all of us old politicians have.”

Daniel responded; “You know Governor. I have thought about the very same thing that you are talking about now. I don't want to uproot my kids from the life that they know. I chose to be a politician not them. I want their life to be as normal as possible.

It's going to be hard during the school year when they will be back home in El Paso. I'm going to miss them every day that they are not with me. Whenever a special occasion arises, I'm going to be there. Then I'm going to have them here with me during every holiday. It's going to be hard, but I have no plans of missing one moment of their lives.”

The Governor and Daniel spoke about their families. They talked about their kids, and what they want for them. In the Governor's case he can only hope his kids are happy. Neither of them spoke about the pending charges against Daniel's ex-wife.

The waiter came over to bring the check and the Governor and Daniel fought over who's going to pay for the meal. Daniel won out and handed the waiter his credit card. After signing the credit card receipt, they all got up and walked out.

Before getting into their separate limousines, the Governor and Daniel stood for the press to take pictures of them together. After snapping pictures of just the Governor and Daniel, the press asked for the families to join in.

After taking the pictures, both families shook hands before heading to their limousines. On their way back to the hotel, no one could believe that the crowd hasn’t thinned down, in fact it got larger. The convoy could barely move with them trying to get pictures and see the Governor Elect and his family.

When they got back to the hotel it was after seven. They walked into their room and sat down in front of the television. No one turned it on, they just laid there. It looks like the day has actually caught up to them.

The day has caught up to everyone except Josh. He grabbed the guitar and music and walked out the door. Jonathan followed him to the end of the hallway. Josh sat down and started to play the guitar. At first, he didn’t sing the chorus. He just kept playing the music only, over and over again.

Josh had no idea he had been in the hallway learning the song for over two hours until Cesar and Chris joined him. After they told Josh he had been out here for hours, they sat down and didn’t say another word.

As soon as Josh felt comfortable enough with the guitar part, he started to sing the song in his mind. Chris looked up at Josh and knew what he is doing. Chris looked over at Cesar and back over to Josh.

“You know how much I love hearing you sing Josh. You use to practice in front of me for all your competitions. Please, sing the song out loud and not in your mind. I know Cesar would love to hear it as well.”

“I have sat out here with you since you started practicing, Josh. I recognized the song the moment you started playing it. I wondered when you're going to start singing the verses. Count me in as one that wants to hear it as well,” Jonathan added.

Josh didn't expect Jonathan to want to hear him sing. He thought that Jonathan wanted to get back into the hotel room and out of the hallway. He looked into each of their faces as he picked up the sheets of music.

“Mr. Edgar brought this music over to me to see if I would replace it in my solo. If I sing it here now with you guys, my father might hear it. If I do sing this song instead of my other one, I want it to be a surprise to my father. I do thank you guys for sitting out here with me as I learned it on the guitar, but you will have to wait until tomorrow.”

Josh got up, helping Cesar and Chris up from the floor. He leaned in to Jonathan and thanked him again for standing outside in the hall with him. They all walked to the room and joined the rest in front of the television.

By ten, everyone started to head to their separate rooms. Once Josh's older brothers got up and went to bed, it left only Josh, Brandon, Chris and Cesar in the living room. Brandon claimed the large couch; Chris took the smaller couch, leaving the floor to Josh and Cesar. Josh didn’t mind because he is going to be up memorizing the song.

By two in the morning, Josh finally called a night. He put the music down and lay down on the floor. The minute he closed his eyes, he went to sleep. None of them woke up until, Daniel walked around waking them up.

Instead of going out for breakfast, they stayed in. Daniel felt it would be quicker and easier if they would have breakfast from room service. He didn't like the idea that much but he also knows he's limited on time.

As they ate breakfast, Daniel went over the agenda for the day. There can’t be any fooling around or falling behind the schedule. After the inauguration, they can fool around and have fun but until then they have to follow the agenda to the second.

They all finished eating and hurried getting ready. Each of them took five minute showers, got dressed in their suits and waited for the others in the living room. At eight thirty everyone made their way to the elevators. By nine, the limousines carrying only Daniel and his immediate family drove up to the Governor’s Mansion on Colorado Street.

Governor Puckett and his wife met Daniel and his family at the front entrance. They walked in to have their coffee and orange juice as they talked. Governor Puckett gave Daniel and his family and personal tour of the house. The Governor seemed to be much more at ease from the first time they met.

They went back to finished their coffee and just talked. The out going first family explained to the incoming first family everything they learned from the best restaurants, to stores and how to deal with living in this house! They sat there talking for over an hour when Rich walked in pointing to the watch on his wrist.

They got up and headed out to the front of the house. They posed for the press to take several pictures before getting into their separate limousines. Governor Puckett’s convoy left first, followed by Daniel’s. As they headed down to the State Capitol, the streets are lined with people waving and cheering as the convoys passed them.

Once they arrived, they got out of their limousines and walked into the State Capitol building. They made their way to the front of the building waiting to be introduced. They have to wait for several legislators to be introduced, the Lieutenant Governor, Governor Puckett and his family, and then Daniel and his family.

As Governor Puckett was introduced, he got a mixture of applause and some booing from the crowd. It got quiet before the announcer introduced Daniel and family. As they emerged from the Capitol Building and made their way to the stage, the crowd clapped and yelled out their approval of their soon-to-be Governor.

In modern history, the Governor’s that have won have been fossils. The last time they have had a young governor was in the early nineteen hundreds. That is why Daniel is well liked form all age groups.

He appeals to every age group. The youth likes him because he is young. The middle age group like him because he is around their age. The elderly like Daniel because he is well rounded and knows where he wants to take the State; back to the time when everything was great and the government was not in their daily lives.

Daniel walked onto the stage followed by his family. He shook hands with whoever presented their hand to be shaken. They finally got to their seats and sat down. The speaker of the Texas has stood up and started to speak. As he spoke, Josh made his way around to the Glee club. As soon as the speaker of the house finishes speaking, he is going to introduce the Glee Club.

Josh walked up to Mr. Edgar and told him that he is going to replace his solo with the song that he had given to him last night. Mr. Edgar smiled and leaned into Josh to whisper to him where no one else could hear him.

“Are you sure that one night of practicing alone is enough Josh? I don’t want you to feel that I am pressuring you to sing this song in any way. I just thought it better fit the occasion; a lot better than the one we had chosen.”

“Mr. Edgar I stayed up till two in the morning learning this song. I know the song and I have it down on the guitar. I just hope you are right that my voice can carry this song alone. You see something there I don’t think that I am ready for.”

Mr. Edgar patted Josh on the shoulder. “You are ready to do this Josh. I would never put you on the spot with anything that you are not ready for and more so on a day like today. Just sit on the chair and sing to your family only and forget the audience. If you do that Josh, you will be fine.”

Josh took his seat in the middle of the Glee club front line. The Speaker of the Texas House finished talking.

“It is my great honor to bring to you a great group of young adults from El Paso, Texas. They are the Glee Club of El Paso High School where our incoming Governor’s sons attend. In fact one of his sons is in the Glee Club and will honor us today with a solo as well. Please put your hands together and welcome the Glee Club from El Paso High School.”

The audience started to clap as the Glee Club stood up. They started to sing the first song they had practiced and went right into the second song. The audience applauded as they finished the first song and the second song.

It got really quiet as the Glee Club sat down and a chair was brought onto the stage. They placed the chair in the middle as Josh went and got the guitar from Mr. Edgar. Josh walked over to the chair and sat down. He adjusted the microphone and looked out to the huge audience that showed up to watch his father get sworn in.

Josh looked over to his father and family and smiled. Daniel Sr. smiled back at his son as they both looked at each other. Josh looked back to the audience and started to play the guitar. Immediately everyone knew what Josh is about to sing.

Josh leaned into the microphone and started to sing. The audience stayed completely quiet as they listened to Josh sings Hallelujah:

Now I've heard there was a secret chord. That David played, and it pleased the Lord. But you don't really care for music, do you? It goes like this: the fourth, the fifth; the minor fall, the major lift; the baffled king composing Hallelujah

 

The Glee Club stood up and started singing the chorus with Josh.

 

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah!

 

They sat down and Josh continued singing. Little by little the crowd started to sing along with Josh. Even some of the audience started to tear up.

Your faith was strong but you needed proof. You saw her bathing on the roof. Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you. She tied you; to a kitchen chair; She broke your throne, and she cut your hair; and from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

 

Baby I have been here before; I know this room, I've walked this floor; I used to live alone before I knew you. I've seen your flag on the marble arch; Love is not a victory march; It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

 

At this point the audience sang with the Glee Club as they stood up to sing the chorus. More and more faces started to tear up as Josh continued singing.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah!

There was a time you let me know; what’s really going on below; but now you never show it to me, do you? And remember when I moved in you; the holy dove was moving too; and every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah!

You say I took the name in vain; I don't even know the name; But if I did, well really, what's it to you? There's a blaze of light; in every word; it doesn't matter which you heard; the holy or the broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah!

 

I did my best, it wasn't much; I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch; I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you; And even though; It all went wrong; I'll stand before the Lord of Song, With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

 

By this time the audience pretty much had their arms around the ones next to them singing the chorus with the Glee Club. They started to rock and both as they sang the chorus, with tears rolling down their faces.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah!

 

 

Josh finished playing out the song on the guitar. Once he finished, it became dead quiet in the audience. Josh looked out to the audience as he started to get up from the chair. All of a sudden the crowd broke out in applause as Josh stood up. He looked over at his family and father as they stood up applauding Josh.

He turned and mouthed thank you to his classmates as he walked over to them. They all walked to the middle of the stage and took a bow. Mr. Edgar walked out and joined his Glee Club as they took another bow. Josh and Mr. Edgar took several steps in front of the Glee club and they bowed for third and final time.

As the Speaker of the House walked over to the podium, Josh tried to make his way back to his family as quietly as possible. But the crowd wouldn’t stop applauding as Josh made his way and joined his family.

Daniel stood and walked over to Josh and hugged him. “You were great Josh! I am so proud of you! That performance I will never forget! Thank you son!”

Daniel patted Josh on the back and took his seat. The audience after a few more minutes of applauding quieted down for the Speaker of the House to speak. He introduced the Chief Justice to administer the oath of office.

The first to be sworn in by the Chief Justice is the Lieutenant Governor. He stood up and walked over to the podium with his wife at his side. The Lieutenant Governor's wife held the family bible as the Lieutenant Governor was sworn in.

After he took his oath, he sat back down. The Speaker of the House got up and introduced Reba McEntire to sing the State Anthem and then the National Anthem. Everyone stood and faced the flags as the anthems were sung. As soon as Reba McEntire finished singing the National Anthem, a squadron of jets flew above.

The Chief Justice made his way back to the podium as the Speaker of the House asked for the oath to be given to the governor. Daniel, his sons and mother walked over to the podium.

Daniel asked his eldest son to hold the bible as he took the oath of office. He stood there and repeated the words that the Chief Justice said. As the final words were said, Daniel hugged his children and mother.

They made their way back to their seats. Daniel shook hands with everyone that he could along the way. Now former Governor Puckett and his wife hugged Daniel congratulating him. They both shook hands as they sat down again.

As the audience simmered down, the Speaker of the House spoke for the final time. “It gives me the greatest honor and privilege to present the forty-fifth Governor of the State of Texas. Your Governor, Daniel Lopez!”

The audience stood up and started applauding as Governor Lopez made his way to the podium. Governor Lopez looked out over the sea of people and couldn't believe his day has come. He is now, the Governor of the great state of Texas.

He left the audience applauded as long as they wanted. Not only is this his day, but their day as well. All of them worked hard to regain their government. No one can quiet them down on this day of celebration. After almost ten minutes of applauding the crowd settled down in order to hear their new Governor speak.

“Good afternoon, my fellow Texans and citizens of this great country of ours. Today marks the beginning of the end of government as usual in this State. When I took the oath of office, it marks a new era for this State. An era of the new government of the people ran by the people. We are longer bystanders of our government of this State.

My first order of business as your Governor will be sending the special interests and fat cats packing. They will no longer hold a seat at the table as our laws are being made. They will longer influence the way we live or the way our government is going to be run. Our legislators will no longer come here to Austin to a line their pockets with as much gold as possible before they are kicked out of office. Those days are gone as of twelve noon today when I stood and became your forty-fifth Governor.”

The crowd jumped up applauding, cheering and whistling as the Governor spoke. He looked out to the crowd as they stood in agreement with him. He cleared his throat as the crowd settled down to let him continue.

“We saw the greatness of our government today. The power of this office was switched from one person to another without war or violence. One man stood down as another took the oath by the will of the people of this State.

Governor Puckett and I do not see eye to eye on where this State should go in the next four years. We saw that plain is day as we campaigned against each other for this office. Even after the election we saw the differences between ourselves.

Putting politics aside, Governor Puckett held this office for four years. No matter if I agreed with his politics or not, he did what he thought was best for this State. He told me last night that he's going to miss this job. Through all the criticism he loved walking in and doing the job that he was elected to do.

Governor Puckett you are leaving this office, and you will be missed. You have been a cornerstone of Texas politics for over three decades. From local politics, to State Attorney General and all the way up to Governor of this great state of ours, you have molded this State's legislation for many years to come.”

Daniel looked over to Governor Puckett and started applauding and the crowd joined in. Governor Puckett stood up with his wife and looked out to the crowd. This will be the last time he will ever stand as a political figure in this State.

“Every new mayor, governor, and president has a honeymoon period of a hundred days. I will not ask for a honeymoon period. There is so much work to be done, the minute I walk off of this stage I and my administration will start working.

The very first piece of legislation we are going to put out is balancing the budget of this State. We'll going to do it without adding new taxes to the already over burdened tax payers. In fact we are going to balance the budget and lower your taxes.

We must hold our government accountable for every penny it spends. If you and I have to live on a budget every month, so can this government! If by the end of the month there is no more money to the account, then we can’t spend. We must go back and look where we over spent so we don’t do it again the next month.

There is no more open credit line for this government. We can’t spend today for our kids to pay tomorrow. As I was taught growing up by my parents and grandparents, if you don’t have the money to buy that extra item, then you don’t need it. As long as you have a roof over your head, food on the table and clothes on your back, everything else is just extra.

Once we balance the budget we will move on to other pieces of legislation. Ranging from making our government smaller, to helping out the private sector create new jobs, all the way to boarder security and everything in between.

Look at what I just said; ‘helping out the private sector’, not taking it over. The government doesn’t create the jobs; they help the private sector along the way. When the government keeps its hands out of the private sector, that is when we flourish.

My fellow Texans, we have a lot of work ahead of us. In order to accomplish and we promise I made you on the campaign trail, we must now unite as one and work together. The elections are over, the people have spoken, and now it's time to govern.

Let's put politics aside. Let's put our in differences aside. Let's forget what party we belong to. Let’s stop worrying about what party controls what body of government and what we can do to harm that party so where the other party receives control in the next election. Let's just govern for the people that have elected us to our positions. If we do this, no politician will have to worry about re-election.

I love this State and everyone I am no sworn to represent. I am not going to do one thing in office that will hurt any citizen of this state. I will, at times, not please half of you and then others times I won’t please the other half.

At times when I do something, the press, talk shows and news channels will rip it apart for ratings saying it isn’t good or that I am going the wrong direction. I am asking you to believe in me and what I am doing. When it is all said and done, you will see it is for the good of all the people in this State.

We must all work together and not bicker with one another. If we believe in ourselves, our government and our neighbors, the future I outlined for this state will come true. I am honored to be your Governor. I will work every minute of every day on your behalf. I will not rest until every one of my promises has been completed.

Thank you for giving me this chance and I will never forget where I came from. God bless you and this great state of Texas.”

The crowd jumped up applauding Governor Lopez as he finished his speech. The governor walked over to his family hugging them as the voters looked on. They stood there waving at the crowd before walking with the former Governor and his family back into the Statehouse.

After talking a while with different legislators from both parties, Governor Lopez found his family and made his way back to the limousines. Instead of going to the hotel, they went straight to the Governor's Mansion to relax before the party.

Governor Lopez walked in and made his way to the Glee Club. He wants to thank them for coming down to sing for him and the people that watched the inauguration. After speaking with the Glee Club he made his way back to Rich.

“Governor, I would like you to meet a very good and dear friend of mine Alfred Serna. Alfred Serna, this is the Governor of the State of Texas.” Governor Lopez shook the hand of Alfred as they were getting introduced.

“I have heard so much about you and I have wanted to meet you for long time. Why don't we go into the office and talk a little before I get pulled way on something else. I would like to see what your plans are for the next four years.”

They walked into the private study of the Governor's mansion and sat down. Since this is the first time either of them has been in this house. They have no idea where any thing is at. They just sat down and started talking with each other.

“I am glad to hear that your grandson is back home and safe. I met him during the Christmas break. He and my son seem to have hit it off.”

“Yes, with him back home, I don’t have to worry that much about him. Don't get me wrong. I still worry about him, and everything that he has to face in life. It seems as he gets over one hump, something else comes up.”

Both of them sat there talking about Josh and Jacob. They both agreed they could do so much to protect them. But they're going to have a lot of hard knocks before they even reach college. Hopefully after they get into college, things might get smoother for them.

Their conversation switched from their kids and grandkids to politics. As more and more that Al spoke about his belief in government, Daniel started to like him and realized what Rich sees in him. Al believes in almost the exact same things as Daniel does. The very few things that they don't agree on won't be on the agenda.

“Al, as we start to work and get into the every day running of this office, there are things I will be learning on the job. I will need a strong political man that is knowledgeable of not only the law, but can get the pulse of the people. I can get the pulse of the people really good because I came up from the people. But I will get lost from time to time and I will need someone to direct my attention.

What I'm trying to say here Al, I would like to offer you a political position on my staff. The position I would like to offer you is political adviser to the Governor. You will have the full support and backing of my office whenever you speak on behalf of me or my office. You only answer to me or Rich and nobody else.”

“Governor Lopez, I would be honored to serve on your staff. In order for me to not get blinded of the every day business of Austin, I would like to be able to advise you as an outsider looking in. That is the only way you will get the honest truth.”

“I have no problem with that at all Al. In fact, that is a very good idea. That way you can come in and help whenever it is needed. Like if we need to call you to help get legislators on board on any kind of legislation, political questions or just your advice, you can do it without being blinded by the business of this city.”

The Governor and Al sat there talking about Al’s duties. Neither of them had any objections and pretty much agreed down the line. They finished up talking when the door opened and Rich walked in.

“The Lieutenant Governor has been waiting outside to speak with you Governor Lopez. He has been getting a little antsy. If you and Al are done talking, you can squeeze in the Lieutenant Governor before your next appointment.”

Governor Lopez nodded his head in agreement and asked Rich to bring in the Lieutenant Governor. Daniel and Al got up as the Lieutenant Governor walked in. They greeted each other and sat down. This time Rich didn’t leave the room nor did Al.

“Governor Lopez I came down to get right down to business with you. A lot of the legislators got very nervous after your inauguration speech. Those people that you call special interest groups and fat cats are those that helped us get elected. We don't have them at the table as we make laws like said, but we do special favors here and there for them when we can.”

Daniel smiled wryly and sad; “With all due respect to you and all the legislators that has spoken with you about their concerns. I am going to do what I said in my inauguration speech. They should not be given any kind of special rights or privileges that other regular Texans don’t get.

We share the duties in this State, you and me, but I sign the laws. If any law is passed by our state legislators has pork in it, I will veto it. From now on the laws that are passed must be for all Texans, not just for a small group of Texans.

So go back to those that spoke with you and tell them they should be afraid. If they promised those that gave to their campaign fund something special, they will not get it through unless it works in the positive for all Texans, no matter if they are poor, middle class or rich.”

The Lieutenant Governor just sat there in his chair trying to regroup. Daniel couldn’t believe this is the first battle he is going to fight with his Lieutenant Governor. This is not something he or any of the legislators want to take on as a battle. No matter if you are Texan or not, everyone is tired of the special interest groups and fat cats.

“Don’t you realize that you need the legislative branch more than they need you? You do not want to anger them, because if you do, none of your agenda will get accomplished and then you will not get reelected.”

“Let me tell you something here and now as clearly as possible. I am not going to govern by the polls, what is popular and what is not or what I can do to get re-elected in four years. I am coming into this job with a mind set as a one term governor. That is the only way things are going to get done for the people of this State. If I do the job as the people want it done, I won’t have to worry about re-election; that will take care of itself.”

The Lieutenant Governor looked at Governor Lopez as if he just killed his dog. These two men do not see eye to eye on anything. Governor Lopez wants smaller government and the control of the government in the hands of the people. The Lieutenant Governor believes in the opposite. The government is the answer to everything. These two men are going to clash with each other in the next four years.

“If that is all you came to speak with me, I have several other meetings on the books to get to. If you have anymore concerns, you can make an appointment with my office and we will speak again. I am more than happy to talk about anything with you or anyone else that may have a concern. My door is always open to anyone.”

The four men got up and shook hands as the Lieutenant Governor left. Rich, Al and Governor Lopez spoke until his next meeting. They made plans on how to handle the Lieutenant Governor. After they finished discussing that, Rich and Al made their way out as the Governor continued with his meetings.

Josh, his brothers and friends started to explore the Governor’s Mansion. One thing they noticed right away realized is that a lot of the things in this house are pretty old. They have to be very careful on not to break anything.

As the got to the bedrooms, they started to walk in and out of them. Just then Daniel Sr. walked into the hallway and called out for them. They walked over to their father to see what he needed from them.

“Boys, you need to get ready for dinner and then for the party tonight. Any of these rooms you can pick as your own, but once you pick your room, that is going to be your room while we live in this house. There is not going to be any switching at all.”

Before the Governor could say another word, Josh and his brothers started running back into the rooms. They had already claimed certain rooms to be theirs if they were given the choice of rooms. Daniel couldn’t help but laugh as he watched his kids be kids.

Josh, Cesar and Chris ran into the room that Josh wanted to be his. They started to explore every inch of the room when the door opened. Jonathan walked in to inform Josh and his friends that the luggage has been brought from the hotel.

They walked out of the room and went over to the luggage in the middle of the hallway. Each of them grabbed their own luggage and went back into the room. Quickly they pulled out what they are going to change into and hit the showers. As soon as they got ready, they made their way back to the dining room, getting lost a few times on the way.

As the boys were getting ready, the house emptied. Everyone had left to get ready for the party this evening. The only ones out side the family that stayed is the kids friends, Al, Rich and a few other people the kids have not met.

They all sat down and had their first meal in the Governor’s Mansion. It felt weird to Josh to have everything being served to him. If he wanted to have seconds, get another drink, or just get another spoon, someone from the kitchen staff would do it for him.

After dinner, the boys headed to the back yard of the Mansion. They started to explore as much these could before they had to leave for the concert. They couldn’t even get a quarter of the backyard covered before they got called in.

They met their father, grandmother and a few others at the front door. They loaded up in the limos and headed out to Texas Memorial Stadium for the concert. As they walked in, the audience started to cheer and applaud.

Josh, Cesar and Chris made sure they sat together where they could talk through the concert. Country music isn’t their thing and they don’t want to fall asleep. They have been up since six this morning and still have a long night ahead of them.

After the concert, they will return to the Mansion and there is going to be a private party there. The performers here are going to do a private performance for the Governor, his family and close personal friends at the mansion.

The concert started and the audience loved every bit of it. Just like any singer, when they got into their older music, the audience sang along. At one point, the audience started to chant out their Governor’s name.

Daniel made his way to stage. He thanked the audience for coming and celebrating with his family. He introduced George Straight to the stage. George didn’t let the Governor leave though. He got him to sing along with him several of his songs before Daniel was able to make his way back to his seat. He made his apologizes for not being a good singer like his son as he left the stage. The audience laughed along with Daniel.

After the concert, they made their way back to the Mansion. Soon after they arrived, the back yard got filled with guests and family. The final party of the night got on its way. This party wasn’t as formal or as boring as the concert.

They didn’t have to just sit and watch the performers. They could actually get up to dance or just roam around. Several times through the night, Daniel got up and danced with Barbara, his personal assistant. Daniel seemed to love being around Barbara. She is bringing out another side of Daniel that the boys haven’t seen before.

Josh sat there looking at his father happy that he is happy right now. He never saw his dad this happy with their mother in all their years of marriage. It is starting to look like his father might be falling in love with Barbara.

TO BE CONTINUED……………………..

WRITER’S CORNER:

{This chapter I looked forward to writing. I know it only covered two days, but two important days. It is setting up how all four of my stories are going to come back together. If you read it close enough, you will see a familiar character in this chapter.

Alfred Serna, Jacob’s grandfather, appeared in this story for the first time. In the last couple of chapters, Jacob and Joey have appeared in this story. I know it is weird to see them together because where we are at in “Jacob Finding His Way”. It is just the time line is different and everyone needs to remember that. Now it is important that Al is here at the beginning of Daniel’s political career.

Now that Daniel is the Governor, he will be in Austin and the kids will be back in El Paso. That doesn’t mean that you won’t hear much from Daniel. This story will be split between Austin and El Paso. The only reason for that is where you understand how Daniel continues to further his career in politics and still be a father to his sons.

We learned at the beginning of the chapter about Daniel’s father. We saw earlier on in the story Daniel’s mother appear, but we never knew what was up with his father. I never got any emails on it, but I felt I needed to answer a question that might be out there. This guy will not appear out of no where and he wasn’t a bad guy. He just had bad luck in life culminating in his early death.

We also saw Josh, once again, perform for his father with the Glee Club. This is the first time I put the verses of the song in the story, I hope you guys didn’t mind. I wanted you all to feel as if you were there watching everything.

Also we had another speech from the Governor in this chapter. There is a reason I put it in and as the story unfolds you will see. We all know from the beginning of the story that Daniel makes it all the way to the White House, but how he gets there is still a question. From now on you need to pay attention to all the nuggets I drop as far as what Daniel does. That is how he makes it to the White House.

We also have the Lieutenant Governor in this story. With Martha gone as of now and Elizabeth in the background, we need a new villain in story. The Lieutenant Governor is going to be the one, but in a different way. He is going to be major thorn in Daniel’s side and cause a lot a political drama. You don’t want to miss that at all.

This chapter only covered the inauguration and that is it. In the next chapter the kids will spend a week with their father, but will be returning back to El Paso. All that drama, open plots and villains will come back.

We will find out if Martha gets away with what she did. In the last chapter, Elizabeth popped her head out, but in the chapters to come she will be coming at Josh full force. We still have the unfolding relationships between Josh and Cesar, Patrick and Frank, and the brothers are going to have their girlfriends. Chris and Josh are becoming good friends and Chris is going to find his own Cesar along with Eric and Bernice being out there as well and getting to know one another.

School has just started on their second semester. So there are a lot of things in the wings that are going to develop in the story. If you think the first semester was a roller coaster ride, you have not seen anything yet. It has all just begun. Buckle up and get ready, the ride of this saga is about to get even more exciting.

So many open plots and so many more plots to come in this story. I love the political scenes a lot and I hope I am not offending anyone with them. Keep in mind it is only a story and I am trying my best not to preach my beliefs. Please stay tuned and I promise that you guys will not regret opening every new chapter.

I could stay here all day long, with all the open plots already in this story, but I won’t. I warn you though! Do not skip a chapter, or you will be lost. There is a so much to answer in the chapters to come. Keep reading the future chapters, and enjoy! Please email me and let me know how I am doing at jacobmillertex@aol.com, Thanks!}
EDITOR’S CORNER:

Even with the chapter only covering two days, it was sure packed! It seemed like a long haul from the election to the inauguration. Sometimes the “getting ready” is harder than the “doing” in a job like Daniel is taking on. He now has the power of the office behind him so he can actually get something done.
So, he’s scared the old guard politicians. Hmmm…this is 1991…and I think we could use a strong dose of that with our politicians in 2010 ! With Daniel’s popularity with the electorate and the press waiting at every corner to get a word from him, the old guard had best lay low. With a single two minute chat with a reporter, Daniel, at this point could kill someone’s political career.

I noted with interest that Al Serna is going to be a special advisor to the Governor. We know from “Jacob Finding His Way” that Al is a very savvy operator and I’m sure he’s going to come in handy when the Governor needs touchy issues handled discretely, under the radar.

Ah, a new dastardly villain! I’m sure the Lt. Governor is going to bring a lot of excitement to the tale. He seems to be so steeped in the “business as usual” type of politics that Daniel is dead set against. I wonder if the man is dumb enough to take on the new Governor. Daniel and Barbara…it will be interesting to see what develops there.

I wonder how long it’s going to be before Rich gets gay rights issues in the Governor’s agenda. Will Rich reveal his sexuality to his boss? I also wonder about Rich’s personal life. Does he have one worthy of note or is Rich the consummate professional, married to his work?

It was interesting to get a glimpse into Daniel’s past and learn about his father. Although his father died earlier, it seems he firmly planted great values in Daniel that have served him so well throughout his adult life.

It’s going to be interesting to see how everyone reacts to the new life realities that are being set in motion with Daniel working in Austin and the family being in El Paso.

I hope that this finds all things well in your world.

Until next time,
“Daddy” Rick

Copyright © 2013 JacobMillerTex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I hope that Rich either does have or gets a significant other he is to good a guy to be alone. Daniel and Barbara I like that they would make a nice couple. All is back and we finally find out when he got his job. The attorney dude us a prick, but what can I saying guess they need some comedy relief.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..