Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shadow of my Father - 18. Chapter 18

(CESAR’S POINT OF VIEW)

I decided to talk with Eric and Bernice before talking to the other guys. I have learned since I have become part of this lunch group that I need these two in my corner when it comes down to Josh. If you don’t, you won’t stand a chance with Josh.

I started to look for Eric and Bernice. Those two are always together if not with Josh. I hope when I find them, they are alone. If they aren’t, I will need to wait until they are. I don’t want it to look like I am going to them for permission, even though I am.

As I turn the corner to the main hallway, I spot both Bernice and Eric walking together. I don’t see Josh anywhere around. That’s lucky for me. I move quickly to catch up with the duo before they get away.

They must sense it when someone is looking at them, because as I walk up to them, not saying a word, they look up. All I can do is smile. I can’t believe my dumb butt is smiling like an idiot at these guys right now.

“Yes Cesar what is up? You look like you have something on your mind, so just spit it out. Neither Bernice nor I want to be here all day,” Eric quipped.

“Well, I need to speak with both of you. I understand it is best to run things by you if it concerns Josh and what I need to talk about with you two concerns Josh.”

“Look Cesar just get on with your mission. Josh is his own man and you don’t have to run things past us concerning him. Whoever told you that is wrong. If Josh ever finds out someone is telling others that he can’t make up his own mind, well let me just say, it won’t be a pretty scene,” Eric states very matter of factly.

“Well, um, Eric and Bernice on this subject I think it is best to talk to you guys about it. You two have known Josh the longest of any of us and certainly more than me that is for sure. Let me just stop beating around the bush and tell you guys what I came here to tell you.

I spoke with Chris, don’t ask who approached who, it doesn’t matter. What matters is we spoke and I think the guy is no danger to Josh. What I mean is I think he is cool. We talked for a while and I understand him more. The stunt he pulled running up to me and Josh wasn’t to harm Josh. He just thought if he did that he would get Josh back.

Look, bottom lining it guys, I like the kid. We spoke and came to an agreement about Josh. It is up to him to decide who he wants to be with. So can Chris come back to the table and be friends with all of us?”

Eric looks at Bernice obviously not real happy with what I said. In fact he looked pretty pissed. Before Eric even answered, I already know the answer. No, in fact it is hell no.

“Look Cesar, you weren’t around when Chris was. There has to be a good reason for what he did to Josh. To this day we haven’t heard it. Keep in mind it isn’t us he needs to tell. He needs to tell Josh why he did what he did.

Let’s just put that aside for right now. Like I said you weren’t here when Chris dumped Josh. Bernice and I and the rest of the guys were. We had to pick up the pieces of a very strong man. I had to sit there and watch a friend I have known most of my life fall apart right before my eyes.

That was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I love Josh like a brother, and for that alone I won’t allow him to get hurt again. I will do everything in my power to make sure he doesn’t get hurt again.

So the answer to your question is no. Chris can’t come around the table unless he is invited by Josh. Other than that Chris better stay away. If he doesn’t, he will see a different Eric that he’s never seen before.”

“Um, is it ok if I talk to Josh about it then you guys?” I asked still wanting them to be ok with whatever I do.

“Look like I told you earlier you don’t need our permission to talk with Josh about anything. You go right ahead and talk with Josh about any subject you want. But if you go ahead on this one subject and talk with Josh about it you will lose my respect and friendship. If it is meant to be between Chris and Josh it will happen on its own. I might not like it if they get back together. I will need to accept if it happens but I won’t have any part on helping it along.

I just can’t trust Chris anymore and to tell you the truth, you shouldn’t trust the kid either. He isn’t like you. We found that out. Unless I have you wrong Cesar, he isn’t like you. Once he sees an opening, he will take it.”

Bernice spoke up for the first time; “I agree with everything Eric just said. We won’t hinder you going to Josh, but if you do, it is over as far as being friends with us. We will respect you because Josh wants you around, but we won’t give you the time of day.”

With that the two brush by me making their way down the hall. I know Chris burned his bridges with these guys. I just the bridge could be rebuilt. By the looks of it, the chance of that ever happening is nil at best.

For the rest of the day I couldn’t help but think what Bernice and Eric said. I really want to talk with Josh on Chris’ behalf. Still, I can’t afford to become enemies with Eric and Bernice. I have never given up on anything in my life, but on this one I have to.

(CARLOS’ POINT OF VIEW)

I just couldn’t believe my ears. I see Elizabeth’s mouth move, but the words that are coming out seem to be the wrong words. What kind evil, twisted mind can think up a plan like this? I may not like the idea of what my brother is, but I will never stoop this low.

Each time another crazy idea came out of Elizabeth’s mouth I just looked at Daniel. He is looking straight at Elizabeth, not looking like he is affected by what she is saying. I don’t understand how he can’t be affected by the plans she has in store for Josh.

Something needs to be done in order to stop this out of control woman. She lost; she needs to deal with that. All this anger and hate she has for my brother needs to be put to some other use and not making up evil plans on how to get even with him.

Finally she stopped speaking. She looks like she wants an answer right now from us. Is she crazy or what? There is no way I will do that to Josh. Even on my worset day I don’t wish that much hate on another let alone my own brother.

I see Daniel is lost for words like always. You can see he will never be a politician! It is up to me to speak up. All I can think is I need to come up with something quick. She wants to hear an answer now, come on Carlos think, man, think. Say something to this crazy woman standing in front of you!

“You know Elizabeth, you are one evil woman. Remind me to not ever get on your bad side. Now as far as your plan is concerned, it is a good one. I know I am speaking on behalf of my brother here. You have a good plan for getting back Josh.

First, it is going to take some real doing for it to work. Everyone thinks that all we do is get drunk at parties after the games. We don’t. In fact, lot of the time there isn’t any beer there at all, but not for a lack of trying!

Second you want two guys from the team. We need them to think they got drunk, not drugged. One or two beers aren’t going to get anyone of the football players drunk. It will take around six if not more. That will take most of the night.

And finally, there is getting Josh to one of our parties. We have never invited him to one of our parties before. If we do it out of the blue, he will know there’s something up. That part is going to need to be worked on real hard.

Basically if you want this to happen in the next couple of weeks, it won’t. Daniel and I are trying to get close to Josh at our father’s request. That is taking some doing. In fact, I don’t think it will happen during the football season. Maybe around New Years we can get it done during those parties.”

Elizabeth looked defeated. I really don’t know what she is thinking, but if it was to have it happen this week, she is mistaken. A plan like that will take a lot of time to put into action if it has a chance of working and no one be the wiser.

“Ok you guys why we don’t plan it out in more detail; get all of our ducks in a row like they say before we do anything. Right now all I want to know is if I have you two on board. You can’t breathe a word about this to anyone.”

I looked over at Daniel once again. He still hasn’t moved an inch since Elizabeth started talking. I don’t know what is going through his mind right now. All I know is I need to agree with her, so she doesn’t go out and get someone else.

“Look I will speak for Daniel and myself. We are onboard with this whole thing. You have nothing to worry about with us telling anyone. We would get into more trouble than you. Simply put it will be us that put the drugs in the drinks.

What we need from you is promise that you won’t go and recruit anyone else. This needs to stay between the three of us. Let me tell you why. The more people that know about what we plan to do, the bigger the chances we have on getting caught.”

“I promise not to recruit anyone else on this plan. Now we need to get some details out of the way right now before the bell rings.”

We sat and made plans about where we are going to meet and when. Elizabeth wanted a date, a weekend right then and there. We stood firm that it can’t happen anytime soon. In fact we just can’t put a date right now. She didn’t like that, but accepted the logic. Once that got settled, she left Daniel and me alone.

I sit there looking straight ahead to the stadium. My mind is still reeling. I can’t believe that Elizabeth hates Josh this much. She hates him so much; she wants to get him arrested for raping a drunk, passed out classmate.

Not only will that ruin Josh, it would ruin my father as well. Forget re-election to the office he just won. He might actually get forced to resign the office before he can even get his foot into the Governor’s seat!

“Carlos you can’t be serious about going through with the crazy woman’s plans. Come on man, that woman is so fucking crazy. There is no way I am going to go along with this. I love Josh; he is our brother man.”

“Settle down Daniel, settle down. Of course not, I have no plans of going through with it. I need her to believe that we will. That way she won’t get someone that will. Think about it for a minute.

We can control the events. If she goes and gets someone else, they will do something that might harm Josh. No Daniel, we need to stay in complete control of this situation. That is the only way we can ensure that nothing actually happens. We have to protect Josh AND dad!”

(DANIEL SR’s POINT OF VIEW)

I decided to hold a couple of meetings on Saturday morning before the kids got up. Rich is coming over to plan out the transition teams. This guy doesn’t want to miss a thing when it comes to taking over the Governor’s seat.

I got up early to take care of this meeting. That way I can spend the rest of the day with the kids. As I walk downstairs I hear noises coming from the kitchen. I know my mother isn’t awake. I passed her room on the way down and her door is shut.

At first I decide to ignore it because I thought it might be Rich. Then I think Rich wouldn’t let himself in and then make racket like that. No, I need to go and check out who is in my kitchen.

Right as I start to walk towards the kitchen, Daniel walks out. Just as his head popped out of the kitchen, I jump back several steps. Man, is Daniel lucky I don’t have a gun in the house. If I did, he’d be dead right now.

“DANIEL, what are you doing sneaking around so early in the morning? You almost gave your old man heart attack!”

“Sorry dad I didn’t mean to scare you like that. I just couldn’t sleep at all. I had a weird day yesterday and I just can’t stop thinking about it.”

“Do you want to share it with me son? I will listen to you kids on any problem you might have. Maybe I can help you through it.”

“Dad, trust me this problem you can’t help me with. You have never dealt with this kind of problem before in your life. I never thought I would ever have this kind of problem in my life. I am very angry and confused at the same time.”

“Listen son I have lived through a lot. If I haven’t lived through it, I know someone that has. Trust me son, anything you have to say, I probably have heard it before. C’mon, let’s go into the study where we can talk?”

Daniel hesitated at first, but followed me into the study. Right as I shut the door, the door bell at the front door went off. Soon after that, Rich’s voice echoed through the hall. If anything, Rich is a very prompt person.

I yelled out to Rich to grab some coffee and I will be with him shortly. I told him I needed some time to be with my son. I finished closing the door. This time I didn’t sit behind my desk, instead I sat in a chair in front of it. Daniel sat in the other chair right across from where I sat.

“Son whatever is on your mind you can talk to me about it. I promise you I won’t pass any judgment on anything you have to discuss. I want you kids to know I will listen to you and never get mad. I do worry a lot about you guys, but that is what a parent’s job is.”

“Dad let me start out be saying this to you. Neither Carlos nor I approached, thought of, or recruited anyone in this situation. In fact we couldn’t believe what came out of the mouth of the person telling us. It seemed to me like something that can only be cooked up in the minds of a Hollywood producer.”

Daniel looked at me for some kind of sign, I think. I think he wants to organize his mind on whatever the issue is that is bothering him. Without giving away my thoughts, Daniel continued.

“Dad, Elizabeth approached me and Carlos yesterday as we hung out during lunch. We knew she wasn’t up to any good when she walked up to us. Still we listened to her and man, let me say what she said to us blew our minds. Let me start from the beginning..”

I sat there listening to Daniel as he told me everything Elizabeth had to say to the boys the day before. As he went further into what had been discussed, I just couldn’t believe it. This little bitch has a truly evil mind!

Why can’t she just get on with her life? Nothing she does is going to get my son Josh to go back with her. What, she is going to walk up to Josh and tell him of her evil plot and then blackmail him into getting back together with her? Everyone that sees it will know it is a scam. The problem is they will think it is my son that did this. You know my political career would be toast if this were to happen.

I sat there listening to Daniel as he recounted the events that transpired between my two sons and Elizabeth trying my best not to show the anger that is boiling up inside of me at this moment! There is no way I am going to let her think she has a chance at any of this, let alone the upper hand.

Once Daniel finished telling me everything, we just sat there. I really don’t know what to say to him with the information I just heard. If I lead off with what I am feeling. I might actually scare Daniel off from ever trusting me again with anything that is bothering him.

“Son let me handle it from here. I know you two handled it the way you did to ensure Elizabeth didn’t involve someone else that would go through with it. I need to think about the next step that needs to be taken.”

“Dad why don’t we let her believe she is calling the shots. Let her get the plan together and move on. Of course Josh won’t be involved, but she will get herself in hot water; so hot no one can get her out of it!”

“I understand what you are thinking Daniel. One thing I learned on the campaign trail is this simple fact. Once a scandal is started, even if the politician is in the right, he or she is guilty. No matter what the facts show, I could never recover from a scandal like this could be.

No, I can’t let her put even one part of her plan into play. She will hurt, but I and my family would hurt more. Once I take office, they will think I used my seat to cover up something like this,” I calmly explained to Daniel.

“Ok I understand what you are saying dad. Carlos and I will leave it for you to decide what to do with this. If there is any way that we can help, please let us know. ”

I walked with Daniel to the door of the study. As he left I asked Rich to come in. Rich never fails to walk in with a huge smile on his face brightening up the day. I always wonder if there is anything that truly bothers this guy. There has to be something that makes this guy unhappy. If there is, I haven’t seen it yet.

Rich started to talk about the Lieutenant Governor that got elected. As he told me that we are going to have a hard time with him on some issues. He is a straight down the party line Republican, whereas I am not. I am neither a straight down the line Republican or Democrat. I lean toward Republican on most issues, but certainly not all of them.

“Sorry Rich my mind isn’t even on the subject you are talking about. I know we agreed to talk about this morning but I just I had a sit down with my oldest son before you came in. What he had to tell me blew me away.”

“Daniel tell me what it is, maybe I can help you even if it is a personal family issue. That is why I am here. I need to make sure that nothing can hurt you. I plan to have you in this office for many years.”

That is one thing I got to know about Rich as I campaigned. He was able to fix many issues that we faced on the campaign trail. Even when it came down to my divorce, he knew exactly how to handle it with the least amount of backlash on me.

I told him everything that Daniel told me moments ago and included the history of the situation. As I repeated the story to Rich, I tried to be as accurate as possible. Just like I had done as the story got told to me, Rich reacted the same way with anger boiling up inside him. The only difference is that I didn’t show it on my face like Rich is doing right now!

“Look Daniel what you told your son is correct. We can’t let this little girl even think she has a chance to get her plan into play. It needs to be dealt with, and dealt with now. In fact your sons should have told you the minute they knew.”

“Look they are just teenage boys. Remember when you were a teenage boy. It is hard to know what to tell your parents and what not to tell them. To them I am the enemy. No matter how cool I might be, I will be the enemy.”

“Daniel, just give me permission to handle this. I will do it clean and not get your kids involved in it anymore. When they agreed to work with this girl, they are now as guilty as she is. No matter the reasons why they agreed, they are co-conspirators in this plot to drug, rape, and invoke a hate riot on your son.

Your two sons aren’t undercover police officers. They aren’t documented informants to the police. Their intentions were all well and good, but they agreed on helping out with this plot.”

“So what you are telling me no matter what happens now, they can be arrested as well?”

“No, that isn’t what I am telling you, sir. If you let me handle this, I will take care of it today. Within the next few hours to be more exact it will be handled. That way nothing can be said about your son’s involvement in this matter.”

I just looked at Rich very confused. My sons agreed on helping out Elizabeth to prevent anyone else becoming involved. They are trying to protect my son Josh as I am from this evil girl.

“Look sir, you are now in a whole new world. The minute you won, in fact the minute you decided to run, your life changed. You are put up against a bar so high, it is impossible to measure up. It’s even more serious in that you ran on a platform the voters resonated to. You are what the voters of this state want, change, not the same old cover ups.”

I decided to give this issue over to Rich. Mainly it involved my family and I don’t want to be seen as if I am trying to cover things up. I really don’t want Rich involved because he is my Chief of Staff but he seems to know how to handle these things.

We finished up our meeting early so he could get on his way. I promised him to talk with my kids and explain to them about the different life we are now facing. No matter how small the issue may seem they need to come and tell me or him the minute they hear about it. That is the only way we can protect them and myself.

(RICH’S POINT OF VIEW)

The minute I walked out of the General’s home, I knew what I needed to do. First I need to get the local police involved. They already know that anything that affects the Governor elect’s family needs to take top priority.

After speaking with the Chief-of-Police of El Paso, a plan of action got put in play. The Chief-of-Police is going to run this whole investigation. He isn’t going to hand it off to anyone else.

Within minutes the warrant for Elizabeth’s arrest got signed by the on-call judge. Once we got that in hand, several patrol cars were dispatched to execute the warrant. I stayed back at Police Headquarters. I couldn’t get involved in any way as this goes down.

I sat on the other side of the glass as Elizabeth was brought in. Her parents followed her in and sat down at the table. Since Elizabeth is under the age of eighteen, she can’t be questioned without her parents being present.

Over and over again Elizabeth denied ever talking to Daniel and Carlos. In fact she went so far to say it was them that approached her about the plot to get Josh back. It looks like she is going to get away with it once again.

One of the officers walked out to explain to me what I already knew. There is no way I am going to let her walk out here today.

“Let me go in there and talk with her. You guys of course stay in the room with her parents. If I over step the line, stop me! In fact if I do over step the line, kick me out of the room!”

The officer agreed with me as he led me in. One thing I do know is the law. I used my law degree for the General many times on the campaign trail. We talked out a lot of things making sure what is said is not against the law.

I walked into the room, just looking at this little girl. Then I looked at her parents. These two brought up this little girl this way. Her parents are to blame for the things she is doing right now. Something in the household is telling her what she is doing is accepable.

“Do all of you know who I am?” All of them shook their heads up and down. “Besides being the Governor Elect’s campaign manager and soon to be his Chief of Staff, I am a lawyer. Whenever there is an issue about the law, I am asked to render an opinion.

Daniel and Carlos spoke with the Governor this morning about the plot you discussed with them the day before.” Elizabeth started to shake her head back and forth. “Stop shaking your head back and forth young lady. You don’t even know how much trouble you are in right now. You are messing around with the Governor Elect’s family.

You can deny it as much as you want right now. You will be held until you see a judge tomorrow morning. Once the judge sees this involves the Governor Elect’s family he won’t give you bond. You will sit in that nice tall white building downtown until you get to court.

In the meantime, the police here will be at your school. They will ask every student on that campus if they saw you the day in question. Rest assured that the police will find several students that saw you approach the eldest sons of the Governor Elect that day.

Once they find those students, your story is gone. It won’t matter if they heard what you said to them or not. It confirms Daniel and Carlos’ story. You approached them about something. That ‘something’ will be filled in by Daniel and Carlos.

Why don’t we stop the lying here and just tell the truth? If you do that I will help you out of this. I will work so you don’t spend a day in the County Jail locked up. If you don’t, rest assured, I will do everything in my power to make you spend every day possible by law locked up.

To make matters worse Elizabeth, you picked on the wrong Governor Elect’s family to mess with. He is way too popular and in return they will hate you. They love Josh and feel for him right now with what he is going through.”

I finished talking and just looked Elizabeth straight in the eyes. One thing I have learned as an attorney is that a guilty person doesn’t like being looked in the eyes. More then half normally break down and tell the truth. The numbers go up as the age of the person goes down.

“Ok, ok, I will tell you the truth. But let me say this first. After speaking with Carlos and Daniel, I wasn’t going to go through with it anymore. It wasn’t what they said. It was what they didn’t say. They didn’t want to confirm a date or detail with me. I knew then that they weren’t on my side on this.”

Elizabeth sat there and in her own words, spit out the hatred she has. I have never seen such a young girl filled with so much hate. The raging hate turned into her down fall. She couldn’t control the hate anymore, and by the looks of it, she is out of control still.

I couldn’t believe the plans she had for Josh. Not only had she planned to hurt Josh physical, emotionally, but his rep as well. She wants the whole thing and nothing is going to stop her. At least until now, that is.

Once the she finished telling us everything, it was almost word by word on what had been told to the Governor Elect. Elizabeth signed the statement, and then her parents signed it as well.

I left the room minutes before they pulled her out. I watched her as she walked down the hall into the holding tanks. I know she won’t spend anytime in jail. I just said that to scare her into telling us the truth. More than likely she will walk out of her in a couple of hours with a court date to follow in a couple of months.

(JOSHUA’S POINT OF VIEW)

My grandma called us down to breakfast like clockwork, right at nine. Since my father started to run for office, he hasn’t been able to join us for meals. Today for some reason is different. He not only joined us, he led the conversation.

Since we all are always at the table for meals that is the best time to talk with all of us. Well today my father needed to do that.

“You guys need to understand a couple of things going forward. First, things have changed since I got elected. More things will change once I get sworn into the office. Some are for the good, and some are for the bad.”

He went on and explained that we are going to be in the spotlight from now on. No matter what, we need to be careful with what we do, say, and who we hang out with. The press will take anything we do and turn it into a something more than what it is.

Then he switched subjects. He asks us to tell him everything we hear about each other. If it needs to be dealt with he will know and see to it. The main reason for that is where he can help us through whatever the issue is. Unknowingly we might do something that is against the law. With him as Governor, we must be above approach.

At first I didn’t understand where this came from. It looked like Daniel and Carlos did, but as I looked at Brandon, he seemed as lost as I am. I figure if we need to know, my father will pull us aside and tell us.

“Look you guys I love you all with all my heart. I will give up this job and any job to keep you guys safe from the outside world. Don’t get me wrong when I ask you to tell me everything. I am not trying to turn you into spies on each other. You know I didn’t bring you up that way.

Still, what you know or see might hurt you or the family if you don’t communicate. Again unknowingly you might be breaking the law by knowing what you know. You might be doing something with all good intentions but those good intentions can do more harm than good.”

Again it seemed as if my father is talking in code. Something happened with Daniel and Carlos that brought this on. I have no problem talking to my dad on any subject now but I can see why he keeps trying to reinforce with us so we won’t get into trouble for doing or saying something.

After I got up and put my dishes in the dishwasher, I started my way to my room. Just as I reached the stairs my father called me back into the kitchen. Oh no, he is going to tell me why he is talking the way he is, all in code and stuff.

“Josh I need to talk with you about Cesar. Have you made plans yet with him?”

“Yes dad, we are supposed to go and watch a movie tonight and maybe grab something to eat afterwards. He is going to stop here first so you can meet him.”

“Well Josh I am sorry to do this to you, but you are going need to change your plans. Have Cesar come over and watch movies here with your brothers. Right now I can’t let you go out with someone in public.”

“Why dad? This isn’t fair at all. I am going to do everything you have asked me to do. I am going to let the security detail follow me around. I promise, Cesar and I aren’t going to try and ditch them or something. Please dad let me go out to the movies.”

“No Josh and that is final on this subject. Either you have Cesar over here tonight, or don’t see him at all. Either way you aren’t leaving this house.”

“I didn’t do anything wrong dad. I don’t understand why you are punishing me when I didn’t do a thing wrong? This is just not fair to me.”

I started to walk out of the kitchen when my dad yelled at me to come back. One thing you don’t do with our father, walk away when he wants to talk with you. So I turned back to the kitchen and say back down.

“You didn’t do anything wrong Josh. Sorry if you feel that you are being punished. Right now something is going on, and it concerns you. I am trying to make sure you don’t get hurt, that’s all. Work with me on this son. Just for this weekend; I promise!”

I looked at my dad. I know there is nothing I can say to change his mind. I have lost this battle. So I agreed with him and excused myself. I need to make a call to Cesar and let him know about the change of plans. I don’t know if he’ll want to come over now.

After speaking with Cesar I couldn’t believe it. Cesar didn’t mind spending the evening at my house. All he cares about is spending time with me. If that means with my family, he will take it. I invited him for dinner.

The rest of the day I did my chores with Brandon. Ever since that weekend when I stood up to Daniel and Carlos, Brandon and I do our chores at the same time. We actually help each other out in order to get the work done faster.

Once we made our way to the front lawn to clean up the fallen leaves. We got surrounded by the press. There are not just writers with tape recorders but cameras as well. At first I ignored the questions, but when I heard Elizabeth’s name being repeated over and over again, it caught my attention.

“Josh is it true your ex-girlfriend planned a plot on getting you drunk and trying to make you make a pass on other schoolmates at your school?”

“I am sorry; I really don’t know what you are talking about. As far as my ex-girlfriend is concerned, I haven’t spoken with her in weeks. If she has any plans concerning me I have no idea about them.”

“Come on Josh don’t make us report a cover-up coming from the Governor Elect’s family. That won’t go over well with the voters of Texas.”

At that moment my father walked out and made his way to the reporters. He doesn’t look happy at all. In fact he looks like he wants to kill these reporters in front of our house. He looked at the reporters, down the street, and then back to the reporters.

“Good afternoon everyone, it looks like you all caught wind of an issue that has developed in the last twenty four hours concerning my family. Once all the facts are in I had planned to come out here and speak with all of you.

I didn’t want to inadvertently misstate in any way any of the facts. I will speak with you about what I know to date. Anything more you will have to wait just like me for more information to come to light. I will always come out and speak to the voters of this State that put me in office. Neither I nor my family will ever hide a thing from the press.

With that said I want to also make clear my kids are off limits to the press. If anything happens that concerns my kids and needs to be brought to the voters’ attention, it will come from my office. You will never approach my kids on any subject. If you do, the detail guarding them will take you into custody.

I am the one that ran for office, not my kids. They deserve as much of a normal life as possible although they know that is pretty much out the window. I will still try my hardest to give that life to them.

Now about what has happened in the last twenty four hours? Let me start with what I know. After I tell you what I know I will answer any questions about what I spoke about. If you ask me a question about something I didn’t cover, I am not refusing to answer the question. I just don’t have the facts in order to answer the question.”

I sat there, like the press, listening to my father. I had no idea Elizabeth had planned out a plot to do certain things to me and other members of the football team. The way we found out is by her approaching my brothers to get it done.

After my father went through all the events that he knew for a fact that took place he opened up for questions to the press. They all jumped at once to ask them. My father sat out there until every reporter had no more questions.

Normally the politician walks off before the press crew finishes asking their questions. Not my father, he stood his ground and answered every question thrown at him. Once the press crew stopped asking questions, my father asked if they have any more. I think that surprised everyone in the press crew.

“Well ladies and gentleman I am glad I am able to answer your questions. This is something you better get used to me on doing. I will never leave you without answering every question. I have nothing to hide. When I person walks away from answering questions, normally there is something to hide.

So I will let you all go to have a good weekend. I need you to let my children here get back to their chores. They need to be finished before dinner time. We cut into their time getting that done. Thank you all once again.”

With that my father walked back to the house. The press got escorted down to the end of the block. The guard detail is going to have their butts fed to them by my father. They actually let the press up to the house. If they could do it, anyone can get to my father and his family.

Brandon and I finished up our chores with enough time to get cleaned up before dinner. I heard the doorbell ring before I had a chance to put on my shoes. I went down to answer the front door before anyone else could.

Cesar stood there on the front step looking so hot. I just love his blond hair. I have always wanted to go out with a guy with blond hair. I just thought I would never get a chance to do so. I thought Chris was the one. Boy was I wrong on that one.

“Cesar come in would you please. You caught me just as I finished showering. Don’t worry I don’t need to put on my face before you can see me.”

Cesar started to laugh. I don’t know what it is about this guy. I just feel funny around him. It is kind of the same way I felt with Chris when I was around him, but different at the same time. I really don’t know how to explain it.

I ran upstairs to get my sneakers on. I quickly took another glance in the mirror to make sure I am presentable before heading back downstairs. I found Cesar talking with my father once I got back downstairs.

He doesn’t look uncomfortable sitting there with my father. I walked in and joined Cesar on the couch. My dad kept on talking as if I wasn’t there. He is actually going over what he told me about the guard detail and how it is going to be dating me.

“General Lopez sir, I like your son a lot. I have liked your son since I saw him the first day of school. I at first didn’t know that he is like me. When I did figure it out, he was with Chris. I stayed back because I didn’t want to do anything to harm their relationship.

Now I have a chance to go out with Josh. I have no plans of screwing that up. Whatever rules you set out for us to follow I will do so. If having the guards around all the time is what it takes, that is fine with me. All I want is to spend time with Josh.

Now I have that with Josh. I want to get know him. I want him to get to know me. That is the only way we will know if we are right for each other. We can’t go on looks alone, and man General Lopez, you made one handsome kid here. Forgive me on saying so. I just like Josh a lot I want to tell anyone I can how much I do.”

“Cesar never worry about speaking your mind with me. I’d rather you speak your mind than me having to try and figure out what you are thinking. I dislike people like that because ninety nine percent of the time they will back stab you.

No speak your mind anytime you please. And thank you for your comments about Josh. It took me and his mother to make such a good kid. I didn’t do that alone.”

“General Lopez am I going to have to meet your wife sir?”

“Cesar she is my ex-wife now for starters. She won’t want to meet you. Nothing against you at all, it is just how she feels. I hope she will change. Until then, you will probably never meet Martha.”

We got called in for dinner. My brothers accepted Cesar without a problem. In fact Daniel and Carlos seemed to like him more then they did Chris. They have more in common with Cesar than with Chris.

After dinner Cesar and I joined my brothers watching a movie on pay-per-view. My father didn’t have a chance to go out and get movies for us. That is where he was heading when he ended up giving a press conference instead.

I waited to hear Cesar ask about this afternoon. He never asked through the night. In fact he never approached the subject of who my father is or what he is going to be. We sat there watching television, laughing, crying, yelling, and throwing pop corn whenever the scene needed a particular emotion.

Little by little Cesar sat closer to me. Once he felt he got close enough, he made his move. He grabbed hold of my hand. I looked at him and smiled. I wondered when he planned on doing that. Don’t get me wrong, I am not the female of the relationship. I don’t plan to have Cesar the female either. We are both men and will act as such in this relationship. There are no ‘roles’.

I looked around the room to see if my brothers are watching us. Instead I found them more interested in the movie than what Cesar and I are doing. That put me even more at ease through the evening.

The movie ended, making it our third movie of the evening. Cesar needed to get home. My dad offered to take him, but he turned it down. My dad then requested for him to at least take a ride from one of the guards on staff. My dad isn’t going to take no for an answer about safety.

Cesar and I walked out to the side of the house. We looked around to make sure we have enough cover from the walls. We don’t want pictures taken of us being together. They will use it all for the wrong reasons.

Cesar leans in to kiss me. This is our first kiss and I love it. We fought over whose tongue is going to go into whose mouth. Cesar won out, but I let him. Next time I am not going to be this nice.

After we kissed for a few minutes, we walked back to the front. One of the guards whistled for Cesar at my father’s car. We walked down to the car not saying a word. As we got there Cesar spoke up first.

“I really enjoyed myself tonight Josh. I really do like you and hope you feel the same way about me. I know you are getting over someone right now, but I hope we do make an honest go at this.”

“Cesar I really do like you and I don’t believe in the rebound stuff. If you and I fall in love, we will be together for a long time. I just ask that you don’t hurt me like Chris did. If you don’t want…..”

“You stop right there Josh. I will never leave you. Not when I got my dream. If this relationship ends it will be you are the one calling it quits. Let’s leave it at that and talk on the phone tomorrow.”

“You have yourself a deal.”

We shook hands as he climbed into the car. The guard teased us that he wants to see a kiss, but we just left it at a hand shake. Cesar closed his door as they drove down the driveway. He waved until he was out of sight.

(PATRICK’S POINT OF VIEW)

Man did Saturday and Sunday fly by. Now I am here walking into school starting a brand new week. Frank couldn’t come over this weekend. Something about his family and some kind of event they had to go to. I couldn’t argue with that since it is his family.

Before I head to breakfast, I decided to drop by my locker. I need to grab my English book. I forgot it last Friday and I have homework to do for that class. My mind is on getting my English assignment done so when Chris walked up he almost scared me out of my shoes.

“Patrick I need to speak with you please,” Chris nearly begged.

I looked straight into Chris’ face. Whatever is on Chris’ mind appears to be important. I just hope it doesn’t involve me getting him close to Josh but I know that is the only reason Chris would need to talk with me.

“What’s up Chris? Please don’t lay anything heavy on me this early in the morning. More so it is being a Monday morning to top it off.”

“Sorry Patrick, but it is going to be heavy. You know me and you know I don’t ever do things the way I’m supposed to. I just screw things up. Please understand that before I start Patrick.”

“Look whatever it is, just spit it out. I will see if I can help. If I can’t, I will tell you straight up that I can’t help you. I’ll be honest with you either way”

“Patrick I have tried everything I know to get back with Josh. I know and I’m tired of hearing how I screwed up. Still don’t people deserve a few screw ups in their lives? We are bound to make them.”

I just looked at Chris. I have no idea what he is getting at. Whatever it is I hope he gets to it fast. I have English to complete before third period and I had hoped to do it while I ate breakfast with the guys.

“It looks like you are somewhere else right now Patrick. So let me get right to the point. I need you to talk with Josh and let him know that Eric and Bernice are keeping me away from him. I have tried several times to talk with him but they are running interference.”

“Wait a minute there Chris. I won’t step into this thing between you and Josh. This is something you two are going to have to fix on your own. No matter where I come down on this, if I touch it, I will be screwed.”

“You really have no other choice Patrick. Like I had just said, I have never done what I am about to do, but I am willing to do anything right now. If you don’t do it on your own, I have something to make you do it.”

“You have nothing on me that could make me do anything for you Chris. Even if you do have something on me, no one will believe you. You have lost the trust of everyone at that table where you used to sit.”

“I do and let me tell you what it is. I have been watching you ever since you joined our group. I thought it was weird at first you didn’t bring your friend Frank over when you first joined the group. At first I just let it be. But when I returned to school, I made it a point to find out so I have been following you around. What I have seen will surprise everyone we know. You are just like me and Josh. The real kicker is that you and Frank are in a relationship. You have been in that relationship since we have known you.”

I couldn’t believe what Chris is doing to me. He is actually going to blackmail me into talking to Josh no matter what my feelings are on the subject, he is going to push me into a corner. Damn, I thought we only had one enemy to worry about. Now here is Chris.

Chris continued after letting his statements sink in a bit; “Let me put it as simple as possible. If you don’t go to Josh and speak with him on my behalf, and when you speak with him about me it has to be good and convincing. If you do that what I know about you and Frank will stay between you and me only. If you don’t talk to Josh, I will spread the word far and wide,” Chris concluded.

“What you are going to go up to Josh and say hi Josh, how are you? By the way Patrick and Frank are gay and they are a couple. Trust me Josh won’t hear you out. Even if he does, who won’t believe you,” I said flatly.

“I know Josh better than you. I know what he will listen to and what he won’t. One thing Josh can’t tolerate is someone lying to him. You have been lying to him ever since you met him. Josh won’t stand for that.”

“Didn’t you learn anything about this kind of hate Chris? Look where it has gotten Elizabeth. She is now facing a trial, because she couldn’t let go. You are heading down that same road. Even if I bend to this, you could still hold this over my head forever. No man I am calling your bluff on it. You don’t have the balls to do it!”

I slammed my locker door as I finished up not giving Chris a chance to respond to me calling him on it, I walked away. If anything I have learned with Josh and Elizabeth is this; you can’t run away from a threat. I must meet it head on or I will lose.

(ELIZABETH’S POINT OF VIEW)

The minute I walked through the front doors of the school, everyone moved to the other side of the hall. As I walk past them, they just stare at me. I honesty expected this from everyone today and it is only going to get worse.

Mr. Michaels, our school principal, caught up to me. I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around.

“Elizabeth I need to speak with you in my office please.”

I just nodded at Mr. Michaels. I walked behind him to his office. I know what this is all about. My father prepared me for this as well. I believe my days at this school have come to an end.

“Elizabeth I really don’t know what to think or do about what had happened over the weekend. One thing I do know is the call I got from the Governor. He doesn’t seem to be very pleased at all with me.”

“Excuse me sir, but General Lopez isn’t the Governor yet. He doesn’t deserve the title until he raises his right hand and takes the oath of office.”

“Elizabeth, young lady, you aren’t helping yourself right now. Fine the Governor Elect isn’t pleased at all. Now that we have the semantics out of the way; he chewed my head off and demanded some action on this. I can’t afford this from any student for the sake of the school OR my professional standing.

I came in after the storm of last year. The last man that sat in this seat got fired for not watching out for his students’ welfare. I won’t lose my job because one student believes she is above all the rest that go to this school.”

“Yeah I didn’t agree with the firing of our principal last year. He got fired because another fag sued the school and city and won. People like him and Josh don’t deserve to be equal. Not like the rest of us.

The action you should do Mr. Michaels is gather up all the fags and separate them in their own classes. You can put it under the head line protecting them. That way we normal students know who to watch out for,” I said stating my feelings without hesitation.

“Elizabeth, not only you are wrong, but you had better not speak another word in this office. The ‘kind’ that the students in this school have to watch out for are students like you. The plot you laid out to get Josh, is wrong, and I am glad you got caught before you had the chance to follow through on it.

I can’t expel you, no matter how much I want to. As I said, you didn’t get a chance to follow through with your plan. I already suspended you, that didn’t work. I have already put you in detention and that didn’t work either.

So what I am going to do is remove you from your classes and place you into the intermediate class for the troubled. This class is made up of students that can’t seem to stay out of trouble. This is where you belong.

You will start this schedule today. You will stay away from Josh and his friends and that includes his brothers as well. The security detail got orders from the General to arrest you on the spot if they even see you eyeing the Lopez family.”

“Fine I have no choice. I will do as you say. Once I win this in the court system, don’t be surprised that my family sues the school district and gets you fired.”

“That is a chance I am will to take. You may think you are being treated wrongly here, but you are getting off easy. If you are found guilty of what you are being charged with, you will be expelled once and for all from this school and this district. If you don’t get sent to juvenile hall, you will be sent to the Job Corps to finish your education.”

Mr. Michaels sat in his seat trying to stare me down. I am not about to flinch. I have lost everything, but I won’t lose my pride. I have to sit here until he excuses me to leave his office. I don’t have to be ashamed of myself as I sit here.

“You may leave Elizabeth. Trust me if you cause any trouble, I don’t care if it is yelling or throwing a paper air plane, you are gone. I will be watching you and I know you are going to mess up. It is your nature to test the limits.”

All I could do is think what Principal Michaels told me as I head to breakfast. I have lost this battle, but I have not lost the war. Since I am still attending this school, I still have a chance of getting Josh back. Now I need to add his brothers to my to-do list.

(JOSHUA’S POINT OF VIEW)

I just can’t wait to see Cesar again. I have not felt this way in a while. I thought I lost the feeling of love when I lost Chris. Somehow Cesar has brought that feeling back for me. My heart beats very rapidly whenever I see or even speak to Cesar. My palms sweat up whenever I think of him, and lately that’s all the time.

All day Sunday Cesar and I talked on the phone. By the end of the day, my father teased me that he is going to need to get me my own line. My brothers want to use the phone as well. I wonder if he is teasing me or will he actually get me my own line.

Cesar and I decided to meet each other at the entrance of the cafeteria. Everyone in the group knows about me, and Cesar isn’t shy about admitting to anyone that asks if he is gay so we have nothing to hide.

Once we got breakfast, we sat down at our normal table. Soon after we sat down, Bernice and Eric came in together. If I didn’t know better, I would say Bernice and Eric are a couple. But I know where Bernice sits!

Right behind them, Patrick and Billy walked in. With in minutes our group gathered at the table. Not skipping a beat, we picked up where we left off on Friday. One thing added is the talk about what had happened to Elizabeth.

Since I don’t know what had been talked about between my brothers and Elizabeth, I can’t talk on the subject. Bernice and the guys caught on and dropped the subject. I just can’t speak ill of a person even if they deserve to be spoken ill of.

We ate quickly and before I knew it I was standing outside in the stadium. We talked about really nothing that important. Patrick has his head stuck in a book right now. It looks like he didn’t do his homework over the weekend.

Cesar and I stood as closely together as possible. I want so badly to grab Cesar’s hand and hold it and let everyone know that we are an item. He is mine and I am his. But I know what will happen; you guys know what will happen. We are dead meat if we do.

So instead we just stand there close to each other, and talk with the others. It dawned on me that I have not told a riddle I a long while. It is time to get things back to normal and that means me telling the guys a riddle.

“Hey guys, do you know what time it is?”

Everyone looked at their watches and yelled out the time. I couldn’t help but laugh as they looked at each other. Once I got control of my laugh, I looked around. They all look very confused at this moment.

“Let me rephrase the question. Do you guys know what I haven’t done in a while?”

Still they looked at each other with confused looks on their faces. Then Eric caught onto the question. He looked me straight in the eye and smiled.

“Josh please do not put us through your torture man, please. You riddles suck and none of us can figure them out. They are that bad. You keep saying you will tell us the answer before lunch, but you never do.”

“Look Eric my riddles don’t suck. You just don’t understand them is all.” I looked over at Cesar. “Cesar hasn’t heard any of my riddles before. Let him be the judge…..”

“Hey you guys I need to talk with you.”

I looked around to see Chris walking towards us. What in the world does he have to talk with us about? I really don’t want to hear anything he has to say and more so now as I am getting my love life going again!

Before anyone of us could say a thing, Patrick stood up. He looks scared out of his mind. He looks like he wants to go up and stop Chris in his tracks. There is something going here between these two. Now I want to know what it is.

“Josh, Bernice, well everyone, I just need a few moments of your time. What I have to say is going to surprise you unless there is someone here willing to talk first, because I am more than willing to give that person a chance to speak first.”

Chris looked straight at me. It made me feel as if he is asking me to speak up. I have nothing to hide. Everyone here pretty much knows about everything in my closet now.

“Come on Chris just step off and get out of here. No one wants you around unless you are here to apologize to Josh for the way you treated him. Other than that, just leave us alone.”

“Eric you and Bernice had your chance. I am not here about either of you. If the one I am here about isn’t willing to speak up, it leaves me with no other choice than to speak myself. I found out something that I know none of you know. Patrick here, our pal, is…….”

TO BE CONTINUED…………

NOTE TO READERS:

 

{Ok everyone another chapter down with a lot that just happened. The question is where to start on this chapter. I enjoy writing in a lot of curve balls for you all. Things that you would think would actually happen with a character.

Not only did we not think the relationship between Josh and Chris would end, but look at what Chris is doing now. Who knew that Chris would turn into another nemesis like Elizabeth and Josh’s mother? I originally never thought Chris’ character would develop t like this. These stories take on a life of their own many times.

Just like Patrick told Chris, he didn’t like it when Elizabeth played these games on him. So why do the same thing to Patrick? It didn’t get Elizabeth anywhere except jail. Come on now Chris, learn from others. You won’t get away with what you are doing and you’ll have no more success than Elizabeth in getting back with Josh as lovers.

Talking about Elizabeth, she is in hot water. Did she really think she would get away with her plot? Even if Josh’s brothers fell into place behind her, she would have gotten caught. She forgot about the security detail around Josh now. There wasn’t any way she could have gotten her plan off the ground.

Don’t count Elizabeth out yet. Every time we think she is finally over, she gets a new life. This is no different than the other times. Or is it different? Has she bitten off more than she can chew this time? She has even said that now Josh’s brothers are her enemies as well.

I really hope either Josh’s dad or Rich has a sit down with the security detail to instruct them to keep this from happening again. No matter if the boys might get mad or not, this has to be taken care of. They need to stop anything that might even look wrong. I really hope one of these two guys have that talk.

Josh’s dad is right about one thing, their lives have changed. Look how fast the press corps found out about the Elizabeth’s plot. Within minutes they were at the Lopez’s front door step of their home. There is no way anything they do won’t be looked at. These guys need to be more careful in the future.

So much still going and lot more to come! We have several open plots that weren’t even touched in this chapter. Then there are more opening in each chapter! Don’t worry some plots will come to and end as they get replaced with others. Never think one plot is going to go in one direction. There could be a wrench thrown into the mix that will send that plot going an entirely different direction. (Much like real life? ED)

I could stay here all day long, with all the open plots already in this story, but I won’t. I warn you though! Do not skip a chapter, or you will be lost. There is a so much to answer in the chapters to come. Keep reading the future chapters, and enjoy! Please email me and let me know how I am doing at jacobmillertex@aol.com, Thanks!}
EDITOR’S CORNER:

Chris, Chris, Chris…. Yes, it appears by the cliffhanger that he DOES have the balls to speak up. It’s going to come across as sour grapes; the scorned lover syndrome. Josh probably knows about Patrick and Frank. Perhaps Josh will just cut Chris off at the pass and then, in front of the friends, let him hear loud and clear that a line was crossed. Josh isn’t going to let Chris get in the way of his growing feelings for Cesar. Not only that, Cesar is Josh’s equal whereas Chris is so much less a quality person. Ok, so I sound judgmental. I just know that, as a rule, solid, successful relationships that last are grounded best when two people are equals, both pulling the weight.

The Governor Elect hasn’t even taken office yet and his hands are full! One has to wonder how he’s going to make it all work. When will Martha find her next opening to cause angst? I’d bet $100 I don’t have she’ll be back angrier than ever. I wonder what is going on with the divorce. What is a judge going to say to the Governor Elect about spousal support and division of assets? Texas is a community property state. She’s going to get half of everything.

Ok…the teaser was there. What IS going on with Eric and Bernice? Yeah, I know, she likes girls, but those two are really getting tight. Hmmmm.

I’m glad Daniel and Carlos stood up for what’s right in spite of their feelings about Josh’s sexuality. Perhaps there’s more to those two that I thought. This bears watching. Speaking of the brothers, Brandon has sure been in the background. I wonder what’s going on in his world. I hope Brandon and Josh’s relationship stays strong and deepens. Those two are going to need each other in times to come, I’m sure.

Thank you to those that wrote with kind words for both Jacob’s and my work. We really appreciate the support. Let me add to that…your statements of support mean a lot. Yes, we are just two ordinary guys having fun weaving tales, so without degrees in writing or English, we just muddle along and do our best to have fun.

Until next time,
“Daddy” Rick

Copyright © 2013 JacobMillerTex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So let me get this straight chris dropped josh like a hot potato cause he was afraid of what would happen with the backlash from Elizabeth. Now he is willing to use the same tactics to win the guy he dropped for no reason...hmm obviously he went to the same misguided classes Liz went to. And he figures he will get josh back by openly backstabbing his friends

Lol Liz should have so much fun at school now and she fully expects to win....but then chris's father got off scott free from nearly killing his son so you never know.

Link to comment

What an Ass Chris is -  why doesn’t he stop and think about what he is showing  in regards to his character and how Josh is going to think about that instead of just going off half cocked?   If he does this, he’s lost Josh forever 

Link to comment

This is a difficult time for Chris, let's not forget how his father treated him for years and may do so again? I am not suggesting one should overlook his ill-advised treatment of Josh, could it be that he saw much of his own father's behaviour when Elizabeth was slapping Josh at the pool. While he caused the breakup of his relationship with Josh. It became what it became!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..