Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shadow of my Father - 5. Chapter 5

Chapter 5

(JOSHUA’S POINT OF VIEW)

I tried, once again, to talk with Chris but something came up. As I watched Chris walk out the locker room I could only think this thing that I keep trying to get with Chris may not come to light.

Let me explain what I mean by that. I have tried several times to speak with Chris and there is always something there that stops or prevents it. Either I have to be somewhere, Chris has to be somewhere, someone is always there meaning no privacy, or simply there is no time to talk.

I really do like Chris but I am not going to jump through hoops to be with him. We are not even an item and I already feeling worn out trying to be with him. This isn’t a good start to any relationship!

I left the locker room headed home. I was surprised that Bernice isn’t waiting for me today. Then I remember she had to go straight home after school because of some kind of family thing. I really needed to speak with someone today.

When I walked into the doors of my house, it was unusually quiet. As usual, I headed upstairs and started on my homework. My mind kept going back to the topic of Chris and me. I really do want to be with him so bad.

I just gave up trying to get any extra homework done. I closed my books and went down to watch television before dinner. For the last few days I haven’t watched television having Bernice here at the house and all.

When I sat down my brothers walked into the living room.

“Hey look who is finally alone without his girl friend!” Carlos started teasing at the same time fooling around with my hair.

Daniel grabbed the control from my hand and put the television on MTV. They knew I didn’t like watching that channel. I really think that is the reason why they actually put it on. I looked at them angry as hell. But I didn’t want to start anything, so I got up and left.

When I walked out to the hallway Brandon just walked through the door.

“Hey bro how is going?”

“Pretty good Josh, I have a lot of homework tonight!” Brandon responded smiling at me.

“Is there anything I can help you with?”

“Heck yeah Josh if you don’t mind. I really could use your help with my math!”

“No problem bro! Let’s head upstairs and get started!” I said as I put my arm around his neck, pulled him close and headed up the stairs.

For the next hour I sat there in Brandon’s room helping him with his homework. We got done faster then we thought. Most of the time we sat there fooling around! Brandon opened up to me and told me about this girl he wants to ask out.

“Josh what do you think? Should I ask her out?”

“Brandon, I say go for it! We will go through several girlfriends before we actually find our soul mate. It is very rare that the first girl we choose is truly our soul mate.”

“But it can happen right?” Brandon asked hopefully.

“Oh yeah Brandon it can happen! I just don’t want you to get your hopes up on this one! Look, I will always be here for you bro. Just knock on my door and we can talk about anything you need.”

“Thank you Josh and you know I am here for you too. I know Daniel and Carlos are pretty much in their own world. We can’t depend on them for any kind of advice!” Brandon observed.

“You don’t need to tell me that! I gave up on them a long time ago already” I said with a cheeky grin.

Brandon and I sat there just talking about this girl he wants to ask out. He made a deal with me that if he does ask her and she says yes. I will be the first to meet her. I suddenly realized that our brotherly bond was stronger than I had realized.

Mom called us down to eat before we were able to finish what we were talking about. We need to head down before mom called for us a second time. We just left it where it was and swore to pick it up later.

It didn’t take long into dinner for Carlos and Daniel to start ragging on me. My brothers have a new item to tease me about, Glee Club. Boy, did they go at it during dinner. I just ate and paid no attention to what they had to say.

Then they said something that caught my mother’s attention.

“I can’t wait to see you make a fool of yourself on the news tonight!” Both Carlos and Daniel laughed while hitting their fists together.

“Wait a minute, which local news is picking it up?” My mother glared at Carlos and then at me and back at Daniel.

“Pick whatever station you want. All of them were there at the assembly today!”

“Carlos that is enough teasing your brother! Josh you should have told me about this. I need to record it for your father to see. You know how happy this will make him. He would feel like he was at home getting this tape” mother stated.

My mom jumped from her seat and rushed to the television. She grabbed a new tape and popped it into VCR turned it on. My mom flipped the channel to NBC to see if they picked up the story.

We didn’t have to wait long for them to lead into the story. Of course they talked about the issue of the assembly. Put in sound bites of the speakers that were there, but I was surprised with what happened next.

The newscaster talked about the Glee Club and the tribute performance we did at the assembly. The channel faded off the newscaster to the recording of our performance.

I just sat there glaring at the television. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Here I was standing in the middle of the stage singing to the school but now to the entire viewing audience of this station.

I looked over to my mom. She had tears rolling down her face as she watched. My brothers were just looking at the television. No emotion whatsoever. At least they were watching it.

Once it was over, it went to commercial. My mom wiped her face and pulled out the tape. She looked over to me and smiled.

“I will be sending this tape to your father, Josh. Believe me Josh, this will make your dad’s day once he gets this. Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t show it off to all of his soldiers. To be honest, your dad might even make them sit and watch his son perform for the very first time on stage!”

As she walked out, she hugged me. I can’t remember the last time she hugged me like that. It felt really good to make my mother happy. I walked out right after my mother and saw that she went right into the study. I knew she wanted to get it out to my dad, but I didn’t know she wanted to get it out this fast.

I thought I was going to have a good night’s sleep, but still, there was something that was bothering me. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but there is something that is wrong.

During the night I kept having these bad dreams that Chris was in trouble. Chris was calling out to me in my dreams. Every time I would answer him, his voice would get further and further away. At one point I caught up to Chris. He started to reach out to me, just as I got a hold of his hand, it slipped away.

Chris was yelling for me to help him. He was yelling for me to save him. I don’t know from whom or what, but he needed my help. Then, I was jolted awake when Chris came flying at me bleeding all over.

I jumped up in my bed shivering. I was drenched in my own sweat when I came to. I knew there was something seriously wrong now for sure. I just know it I can feel it in my bones.

(COACH JUAN MONTOYA’S POINT OF VIEW)

I couldn’t help but look at the clock every fifteen minutes or so. I didn’t like the idea of letting Chris go with his father this early on. I kept think that his dad is going to pick Chris up and high-tail it out of town with him. I really hope I am wrong.

Nancy and I are starting to care a lot for Chris. I knew there was something going on in his house the first day Chris walked into my locker room. The kid had several bruises and cuts that he tried to hide from everyone when he changed.

Still though, Mr. Jimenez is Chris’s dad and I have to give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Chris. At the same time I can’t help but wonder why his dad treated his own son the way he has.

I looked up at the clock and saw it is fifteen to seven. Now I am getting even more nervous about Chris not being home yet. I started to pace up and down my living room. Nancy is getting annoyed by my pacing.

All of a sudden we heard a knock on the door. I looked over at Nancy and smiled. I thought Chris had forgotten his key at school. I walked towards the door saying that.

“Chris did you lose your key somewhere?” I said as I opened the door and my jaw just dropped to the ground. Standing before me is a couple of uniformed police officers. I knew instantly that there was something very wrong. I will never forgive myself if Chris got hurt.

“Are you Mr. Juan Montoya?”

“Yes officer, I am! How can I help you tonight?”

“Does a Christopher Jimenez live here with you sir?”

“Yes he does live with me and my wife. He is our foster son. Is there something wrong officers?”

“May we come in and speak with you and Mrs. Montoya?”

I opened the door all the way to let the officers in. My wife just looked as the officers walked into the living room. I knew the look on Nancy’s face that she is as worried as I am at this point.

“Mr. and Mrs. Montoya how is Sergio Jimenez related to your foster son?”

“He is Chris’s father by blood!” I stated.

“I don’t know how to start this then to say it straight out to you. Mr. Jimenez was eating at local Hooters with his son earlier this evening. By all accounts we have gathered from the others that had stuck around after we were called, Mr. Jimenez got really drunk while he was eating with his son!

The waitress cut Mr. Jimenez off from drinking and what we gather that is what set him off. He pushed his son out the door and started beating him outside in the parking lot near his truck. He finally was able to get his son into the truck with force. Christopher tried several times to get away but was unsuccessful.

Now here comes the hard part Mr. Montoya. After arriving on the scene, we called in the vehicle in which Mr. Jimenez was driving. Just as a unit caught up to the vehicle, they saw Mr. Jimenez still hitting his son. He was not paying attention to the road. As a result, he went head-on into the concrete divider.”

I just sat there stunned with what I was hearing from the officer. How could I have allowed Chris to go with his father? I knew he hadn’t changed, but I still allowed him to go. My knees started to buckle underneath me as I stood there listening. I looked over to Nancy and saw tears streaming down her cheeks.

“Mr. Montoya the collision was so hard because Mr. Jimenez was going above sixty miles and hour when he hit. The officer in the cruiser behind them saw as the vehicle hit the divider and Chris went flying out of the windshield.”

“What the hell do you mean Chris went flying out of the windshield?”

“Juan settle down it isn’t the officer’s fault. Let him continue to tell us what has happened to Chris!” Nancy implored.

“No problem Mrs. Montoya, I understand what Mr. Montoya is going through. Mr. Jimenez didn’t have seat belts in the truck he was driving. That is how and why Chris went flying through the windshield of the truck.”

“What about Sergio, how badly injured is he?”

“He actually walked off with a few scratched and a bump on the head. We took him to the hospital to be checked out. But he will not be going anywhere from there. We are arresting him for now for DWI. There will be more charges filed later when the DA gets the case I am sure.”

“Where is Chris at this moment sir?”

“Since he suffered a head injury, we had to helicopter him out to Beaumont Hospital!”

“Why the military hospital officers?”

“They are the only ones able to handle this kind of case in this area. Chris died on the scene but was brought back by the medics. He isn’t doing well at all. I have been told they lost him once more in the helicopter.”

That is all wanted to hear. I grabbed my keys and wallet and started heading out the door with Nancy. I told the offices thank you, but I needed to be there for Chris. He needs to know there are people that love him and want him to stay on this earth.

As I walked out of the house it dawned on me. I turned to the officers as they were getting into their cruiser.

“I need to know officers on how did you know to come to us and tell us what had happened to Chris?”

“Chris came to only once and kept tugging at the medics to grab his wallet. Inside his wallet as you open it is a paper. In fact that is the only thing in there except his school ID. The paper read: ‘If any thing happens to me please call’. It had your names, address, and phone number on it.”

“Ok thank you officers, for everything you have done for Chris and us.”

On the way over to the hospital Nancy and I didn’t say a word to each other. I kept kicking myself for what I did. I just knew….. It is best for me to focused and stop beating myself up over something I can’t correct now. Chris and Nancy are going to need me strong for them to lean on. I know Chris is going to make it, I know he is!”

It was easy to get a parking in the hospital parking lot when we got there. We ran into the emergency room as fast as we could. Nancy followed me up to the reception desk.

“Hello my name is Juan Montoya and this is Nancy Montoya. Our foster son was brought her via helicopter earlier this evening. His name is Christopher Jimenez. Where do we find him?”

The receptionist typed something into her computer and then looked up to us.

“His father is actually here in the emergency room. I am afraid he requested for no information to given out to anyone except him.”

“His rights were taken away from him. Chris was put into our custody pending the outcome of his father’s charges.”

“Unless you have some kind of paper to show that, we have to obey his father’s wishes.”

“We didn’t think we needed the paper work to see our foster son. His father beats him and then runs him into a concrete divider. After he does all that, Chris’s father can now keep us from seeing him?”

“I am sorry, but unless you have legal paperwork to show us proof he is your foster son. I can’t do a thing about it. Trust me I wish I could do it!”

I looked at Nancy stunned at what the receptionist said. Nancy and I walked over to the seats to sit down.

“Nancy I will go home and get the paperwork. You stay here and make sure Sergio doesn’t get his hands on Chris again.”

I ran to my car as fast as I could. Jumped in and sped out of there. As soon as I got home I ran in and grabbed the paperwork we needed and then headed back to the hospital. When I walked in, Nancy was crying.

I stood there not wanting to know what she was crying about. I didn’t want to hear that we’d lost Chris. But I knew I had to console Nancy if that was the case. I walked up to her and kneeled down.

“What is going on Nancy, why are you crying?”

“They lost Chris again in surgery. This time he was officially dead for almost eight minutes. They don’t think he is going to make it, Juan.”

Nancy just started crying on my shoulder. I didn’t know what to do or think at this point. One thing is for sure I needed to take away any calls that Chris’s dad has made concerning Chris’s surgery and or his life.

I walked up to the receptions and handed her the paper that showed we had the legal guardianship of Chris not his father.

“Ok Mr. Montoya I will need to know what you want us to do in case Chris….”

She asked me several questions concerning the outcome of Chris’ surgery. Originally, Chris’s dad marked unless he comes out fully aware and not on machines, let him die.

I, on the other hand, disagreed with that and I made it clear.

“No matter what, Chris will not die in this hospital today. Do whatever it takes to insure that happens please!”

The receptions agreed as she told me where to go. Chris was on the surgical floor, not in the emergency room anymore. I went over and got Nancy to head up to the surgical floor. When we stepped out of the elevator on the fourth floor, I saw a couple of cops in the hallway. We walked over to the waiting room and sitting in there handcuffed is Chris’s dad. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

“You son-of-a-bitch I let you see your son for a couple of hours and you try to kill him! What kind of father are you?”

I couldn’t stop myself! I ran into the room and tackled Sergio to the ground. I started punching him until I was pulled off by the officers. They threw me against the wall and then to the ground. They handcuffed me and pulled me up.

“Sir I don’t know who you think you are, but you can’t be going around attacking grieving parents in a hospital!” one of the officers said.

“He is no longer the parent of the kid he tried to kill today. He lost that right after he kept beating his son. I am Christopher’s legal guardian!”

Nancy walked up and showed them the paperwork. The officer looked at me then to Mr. Jimenez. They actually smiled when they took my handcuffs off of me.

“Since the legal guardian of the young kid has arrived. We can take this scum and process him downtown. Thank you Mr. Montoya for allowing us to get rid of this thing sooner then we had hoped for.”

The officers pulled Sergio off the chair to his feet. He was refusing to leave, but the officers actually forced him out the door. You could hear him screaming all the way down the hall and until he got onto the elevator that he is Chris’s dad.

He no longer deserves to call himself a parent anymore. No one deserves to call themselves a parent when they beat their kids over and over again. Then they beat them in public without a care in the world.

The last thing he said caught my attention though. Nancy knew it and talked to me about what was said.

“Juan we don’t know if that is true about Chris. Even if it is true we will love him no matter what. He is a person and deserves to be treated as one even if he loves the same sex. So get whatever is in your mind out, and I mean NOW!” Nancy stated with total matriarchal authority that no (smart) man ever contests or questions!

I sat there thinking and she was right. Chris is the same person no matter if he loves women or guys. I will love him no matter what.

An older lady came up to us and asked us who we were waiting for. When we told her, she went to check on the status. A couple of minutes later, she walked back in.

“Christopher Jimenez is still in surgery and I was told it is going to take all night at the least.”

Nancy and I thanked her as she left. Nancy leaned into me and tried to get some sleep. I just sat there thinking of every wrong move I have done already to Chris. When Chris makes it out, I will do everything in my power to ensure his safety. No one, and I mean NO ONE will ever lay a hand on him again, so help me God !

(JOSHUA’S POINT OF VIEW)

Still as I walked to school I had a rotten feeling in my stomach about Chris. I just knew there was something wrong. I only wish I knew what it was. When I walked into the cafeteria I just couldn’t shake the feeling.

Billy and Eric are sitting at the same table as always, teasing one another. When I sat down, Eric tried to get me into what they were doing. I just couldn’t stop thinking about Chris.

“Earth to Josh, come in Josh! Come on man, what in the world is going on with you today? You sang pretty damn well! So I don’t think you will be teased if you are worried about that!” Eric said trying to pull me into reality.

“No I am not worried about that, but thanks. I just have a weird feeling that something bad happened to Chris last night. Chris not being here makes me feel that I might be right.” I said somewhat flatly.

“That is strange Josh that you get these feelings. Most of the time they are dead on!” Eric said.

Eric is right about that. When ever get these feelings, I am always right. He really didn’t make me feel better at all. The bell rang and it was time for homeroom.

As I sat there waiting for the class to start, I thought Mr. Shredder is acting kind of weird. Then I thought to myself that I might be looking for things like that in everyone right now. All I know is he is acting pretty quiet.

The PA screech on and whoever is on the other end kept thumping the mike. It just made the screech even worse. Finally the thumping stopped and Mr. Michaels spoke.

“Teacher’s and students please excuse this interruption. I know we don’t have our announcements until third period. I feel that I needed to talk with you about an incident that has happened to a fellow student.

Christopher Jimenez was in a serious car accident last night. I don’t know right now what the cause of the accident was. Chris is still in surgery this morning and has been in surgery now for close to twelve hours. It is touch and go right now and we might loose him.

Please say a kind word for him if that is your thing. I will not enjoin the entire school to pray for Chris, but those that want to join me, please do so.”

It went quiet for a few minutes as several students in my class lowered their head. I lowered my head and tried to pray. I didn’t know how, but I did my best.

“Thank you students and please remember Chris and his family in your thoughts.”

I sat down stunned at what just heard. I knew something was wrong with Chris. I just felt it in my bones. I wish I was wrong this time. I really do.

Immediately my mind went to overdrive. I want to see Chris but I don’t even know what hospital he is at or if I could even get there to see him. I just want to go and see Chris and let him know I am here for him and to tell him how much I love him. He needs to know that I loved him from the first day I saw him and how badly I wanted to date him but never got the nerve up to tell him. Then how I felt when he gave me the note. I was and still am on cloud nine.

Eric jabbed me on the shoulder that pulled me out of thought. I looked over to him as he handed me note. I unfolded the paper and looked at what Eric had written. ‘Josh, don’t worry, Chris will make it. He is strong!’

I looked back at Eric and smiled at him. Eric is a true friend. I don’t know what I would do with out him. I know I wouldn’t be the same person I am today if he and I didn’t become friends those many years ago.

(COACH JUAN MONTOYA POINT OF VIEW)

Nancy and I sat in the waiting room all night long waiting for some kind of update. Finally, about nine, a doctor came out asking for the family of Chris and we stood up, and he came to us.

“Mr. and Mrs. Jimenez I have……”

“We are not Jimenez! We are Chris’s foster parents. I am Juan and this is Nancy Montoya.”

“Sorry Mr. Montoya about the mix up. As I was telling you about Chris, he had a hard night. The surgery went the best we could expect for the kind of injuries Chris has. As you know, they lost him twice before he even got to us. In surgery we lost him another two times. Chris isn’t out of woods yet. Just look at what he went through.

He has a broken leg that tangled up in the dash board of the truck. We did what we could to fix the leg and hope he can walk again. Several pieces of glass from the windshield were lodged into Chris’s chest and shoulder. The pieces entered organs that we all need. His right lung, kidney on the same side and he received several broken ribs.

The main concern we have is his head injury. He went through the windshield head first. Not only did his head smash through the window, it was crushed between the hood of the truck and the frame of the windshield. They had to cut Chris out of there.

The short of it is that Chris received several blows to the head. He has head trauma and we had to open his skull to relieve the pressure that was building in there. We still have not closed his skull completely yet because we are afraid the pressure will build again.”

“Doctor what is going to happen here with Chris? Is he going to live or die?”

“That is all up to Chris and his will to live. Right now he made through the surgery! It is now up to him and with what I have seen so far, he’s letting go, he isn’t fighting for his life.”

“Can we go and see him, be with Chris!”

“Yes, but please remember that the next few hours are very critical for Chris.”

We thanked the doctor and headed to the ICU where they put him. When we walked in, I couldn’t believe all the machines that were connected to him. There is a machine helping him do everything he needs.

Nancy and walked up to him and just looked down at this poor young boy. His head wrapped up like a mummy, wires and tubes coming out from all areas of his body. He didn’t deserve this kind of life.

Nancy and I sat down and just held onto Chris. I just kept whispering to him we are here and we are not going anywhere. I kept asking him not to give up and come back to us. We can’t lose a son the minute we got him.

We didn’t budge the whole day. Not even to eat or get something to drink. We didn’t want Chris to feel that he is alone here in the room.

The doctor came in and gave us some more bad news later in the evening. Chris isn’t getting any better. In fact he is getting worse. He told us to prepare ourselves for the worst. More then likely Chris will not make it through the night.

When I woke up in the morning I looked over at Chris. He is still alive. I was so happy for that! My bubble was busted with another warning. The morning doctor told us the same thing. His vitals dropped even more through the night. It is now just a matter of hours.

(JOSHUA’S POINT OF VIEW)

I couldn’t sleep at all night long. The thoughts about Chris soaked my thoughts. Although the couple of times I did fall asleep, I herd Chris calling out me. He was crying asking me to help him. Every time he reached out his hand and I went up to grab it, it would be pulled away from me.

I couldn’t stop worrying about Chris. I wanted to be by his side. I wanted to let him know there are people that care for him. I found out yesterday during swim practice what hospital Chris is at. I needed to see him, no doubt about that.

I decided to ditch school and catch the SCAT bus to the hospital. I knew I was going to need to take several busses to get there, but I didn’t care. I also knew once my parents found out about me ditching school; well the best way to put it that my ass is going to be grass and mom will be the lawnmower and dad the weed-whacker! Knowing all that, I still didn’t care! I just wanted to be with Chris and that is all that mattered to me at this moment.

It was hard for me to figure out the bus schedule. I have never taken the bus before in my life. When I stepped into the first bus, the driver was friendly. He told me which busses I needed to take and where to get off.

When I arrived downtown, I caught my second bus to the North East side of town. I asked the bus driver to tell me which stop was the closest to the hospital. He chuckled at the question and told me he drove into Beaumont Hospital. I would be dropped off right in front of the hospital.

I took my seat, worrying the whole way there. The drive seemed to take forever, but it was only forty five minutes long. I saw the hospital in the clearing of the trees. Once the driver drove around to the front of the hospital, he dropped everyone that was going to the hospital off.

I was the last one off the bus. I followed the others into the building. I had no idea what to expect or where to go. All I knew is Chris is somewhere in this hospital calling out for me. I am going to help him anyway I can to get him through this.

I know I am not going crazy! I know Chris is calling out to me and asking for my help. I also know that I really don’t know Chris all that well. I just have a feeling deep inside of me that I need to be here today.

There is a map of the building in front of the elevators. I called last night to see where Chris was at and how he was doing. I really think that is why I couldn’t sleep at all. The news I got was not good.

I found out the ICU is located on the fourth floor. I caught the next elevator and headed up. When the door opened I walked down the hallway to Chris’s room. When I entered the ICU I saw it wasn’t rooms, but more bays then anything else.

I walked down the roll of bays looking in trying to find which bay Chris was in. The fifth one down I almost walked right by, but it is Chris’s. I didn’t even recognize him when I did realize it was his bay.

When I walked in I almost fell down. I started to tear up seeing Chris there the way he is. I just couldn’t make out the figure in the bed to be one hundred percent positive it was Chris. I kept hoping, wiping the tears from my face, this can’t be Chris.

Chris is all wrapped up in some kind of gauze! You could barely see his face. Tubes were coming and going into Chris. I couldn’t believe my eye’s at all. I looked back out to see if anyone was around. There wasn’t a soul. I walked back up to the bed and just looked at Chris as he struggled to breathe with the machines.

It just happened; I couldn’t hold it any longer! I started crying, not understanding why this happened to him. Why did a good soul like Chris get this hand dealt to him? I couldn’t hold it in anymore, I just broke down crying seeing a good guy like this.

Somehow I made it to the side of the bed! I grabbed a hold of Chris’s hand and just held it as tight as I could. With tears rolling down my face I leaned in to him to give a kiss on his lips.

I moved over to where I know his ears are at and whispered to him.

“Chris I know you can hear me man, please don’t leave me now! You made me feel something in my heart I never thought I would feel in my life. You cleared the fog before me and revealed clear skies. I now know what I want in life and that is you.

You wrote to me that you love me! I am telling you, I love you with all my heart. We finally found one another! Please let’s not loose one another. I love you so damn much Chris. Please come back to me and allow me to show you how much I love you. You are precious! You are more precious than gold to me Chris.

You called out to me in my sleep. I am here now answering you calls. Please Chris, don’t go anywhere! Stay here with me! Don’t leave me now that we have found each other!”

Tears were rolling down my face as I whispered into Chris’s ear! I was shaking the entire time as I said the words to him. Words I should have said the very first day I saw him or at least the day he wrote me the note telling me how he feels.

I don’t know how long I stood there holding onto Chris’s hand, but it had to be a while. I didn’t even hear Coach and his wife walk in. All of a sudden I felt Chris’s hand squeeze mine. I jumped, and when I did that. I backed into Coach.

I just stood there embarrassed, but scared at the same time.

“Josh what are you doing here instead of school?” Coach asked.

“One of my best friends is hurt! I needed to see him and make sure he knows I care!” I replied instantly.

“Chris knows that there are people out here that care for him. He knows that there are more people that like and care for him than the number of people that dislike him. Please Josh, go back to school! I will let you all know what is happening with Chris if anything changes!”

Right on cue, as if the machines connected to Chris are in a band, went off. They or Chris knew I was being asked to leave and he didn’t want that. We were pushed out of the bay as the doctors and nurses worked on Chris.

I looked over to Coach’s wife and saw that she is taking this hard. I didn’t know she and Coach got this close to Chris in the short period they had him. The doctor came out of the bay a few minutes after we were pushed out.

“What happened to Chris, doctor? Why did his machines do what they did?” Coach’s wife asked as she walked up to Coach and the doctor.

“Believe it or not, it is a good thing. Chris responded to a voice or voices in there with him. His mind was telling his body he was not giving up! It is a very good thing that just happened in there!”

The doctor left me, Coach and his wife just standing there. The nurse came out and told us we can go back in. There was nothing different with Chris when we walked in than before we left. I kind of hoped when we walked in, after hearing the doctor that Chris would be awake and talking. No such luck!

Coach allowed me to stay since I already ditched most of the morning of classes. I had to promise him not ditch another day of school. He was going to take care of my attendance for the day. When Coach said that, I was thankful. This way I am only in trouble with Coach, not my parents on top of it all.

Coach took me home at the same time I would have gone home if I attended practice. He didn’t want my family to worry about me. He needed to stop in and get cleaned up so it was a perfect set up. He is going to return to the hospital and stay couple more hours. He knew he had to return back to class tomorrow.

(ERIC’S POINT OF VIEW)

As I sat there with Billy, I started to wonder where Josh was at. You can set your clock by him. He is a schedule freak and can’t stand to be off of his daily schedule. I figure that comes from growing up with a military father.

When Josh didn’t arrive for breakfast I knew he didn’t come to school. I really didn’t want to snoop around too much. Simply put, I know how Josh is about his friends. Chris has become a close friend to him. I knew he might go off and visit Chris in the hospital. I also knew if he did that, he would have to do it without his mother’s permission.

Billy and I just sat there eating breakfast not talking much. Josh normally is the one that starts up any thing we talk about. He is the glue that keeps all of us together. We are all different as night and day.

With out skipping a beat, Elizabeth walked over to our table being her normal self.

“I figure God knows the sinful people on this earth and comes down and takes them.” Elizabeth chuckled as she spoke.

“You know Elizabeth I see why Josh dropped your ass. You are one cold hearted bitch and will be going to hell.” I said loud enough for the surrounding tables to hear.

Elizabeth’s mouth just dropped open when I finished saying my peace. She just looked at me and I couldn’t let it go. I had to finish this with a knockout blow; “You are so cold and such a bitch no one will ever go near you. No one wants to be known as the boyfriend to the ice bitch. Get your head out of your ass and think for once you stupid cold hearted bitch. The poor guy is sitting in a hospital fighting for his life and you are still playing your childish, cruel games. Grow the fuck up and stay the hell away from me and my friends!”

Elizabeth is speechless for the first time since I met her. I wasn’t going to give her the satisfaction to walk away. I got up and grabbed my tray and headed out. Billy followed me as I made my way to the doors.

As I was halfway out of the cafeteria broke out in applause. When I looked back I was surprised at what I saw. Everyone in the cafeteria stood up applauding me. Something Elizabeth was trying to get done to Chris has back fired to her. Elizabeth got up to leave, chants of ice bitch started roaring out of the student body.

I felt sorry for Elizabeth but at the same time she created this. Life works in mysterious ways. Her evil taunts toward Chris came back and bit her in the ass. I really don’t believe they care so much about Chris, but more about getting Elizabeth to shut up.

The whole day of school was boring without my best friend around. He really does lighten the day for me. When the final bell rang, I was so happy the day was over.

(BERNICE’S POINT OF VIEW)

After school I walked over to Josh’s house to see if everything is ok. Right as I turned the corner to Josh’s house, I saw him getting out of Coach’s car. I knew then where he had been and more than likely, he didn’t have his mother’s permission.

I ran over to Josh where we could play off as we walked to his house together. Lucky for me Josh looked my way before he walked into the house. Right as I caught up to him, he placed his finger to his lips. I knew what he was trying to tell me, so I shook my head in the positive.

We walked in together as we normally did and went straight up to his room. I did my homework really quickly. Once I was done, I turned to Josh who was just looking at me. He is indeed a very handsome guy. Chris and he will make a perfect couple.

“Spill the beans Mr., before I force it out of you!”

“You know where I was. I had to go and see him. I couldn’t stop thinking about him! He kept coming to me in my dreams!”

“So how is he Josh, please tell me?” Eric asked with sincere concern.

“Everything we have been told about his condition and then some. He has all these machines coming out of him and…..”

As Josh painted the picture of Chris in the hospital I could tell he really cares for Chris. His voice cracked several times and tears started rolling down his cheek as he spoke. I couldn’t help myself; I started to mist up as well.

Then when he told me that Chris actually squeezed his hand, I lost it and broke down in tears. This is a like a fairy tale right out of a book. True love has been found between these two ordinary people.

Our talk was cut short when Josh’s mom called up to him for dinner. I looked at the clock and realized it wasn’t cut short. I just got so involved into what Josh was telling me, I lost track of time. It was five till six and I had to go.

I said my normal goodbyes to Josh’s family. Josh walked me to the car and we did a normal kiss on the cheek, Josh headed back in saying goodbye to my father. I couldn’t help but think as I drove off how much Josh really loves Chris. I really hope Josh sees it.

(JOSHUA’S POINT OF VIEW)

I finally had a night of sleep. When I woke up the next morning I felt better than I have felt since Chris got hurt. Something now is telling me that everything is going to get better. The nightmares have stopped for now, at least.

I stuck to my normal routine for breakfast. When I sat down, Eric just looked at me for a long time. Finally he broke a smile after a long wait. I started to laugh when Eric started to laugh. Billy joined us and wanted to know what was so funny. We played it off as an inside joke.

During breakfast Eric told me what he said to Elizabeth. What surprised me the most is when he told me what everyone in here did when Billy and he left. The chanting and calling Elizabeth ice bitch.

I didn’t even feel sorry for her one bit. She made the bed that she is now sleeping in. All through breakfast, Elizabeth never showed up. It made me feel even better when she decided to stay away.

I played catch up all morning long. I told Eric what I did and what happened. He was as stunned as Bernice was when I told her.

“It is like you are writing a story about us and putting in the scenes that make the story go!” Eric chuckled as we walked to third period.

The only class I really was looking forward to is Glee. When I walked in, Mr. Edger was glad to see me. He looked up from his desk and waved me over.

“I thought we scared you off! Thank you for coming back Josh!”

“You don’t have to worry about me not coming back. I am really enjoying this class.” I responded with a smile.

We got down to business after roll call. Mr. Edger is happy with the solo, but we now need to work on a group song for all of us. The song that Mr. Edger chose didn’t surprise me a bit.

He handed out the sheets of music and when I looked at it, I felt good. It is the 1985 hit created by Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie, “We Are the World”. This is a great song; a song I know if we do right, it will bring the audience to tears if not to their feet!

What is up with Mr. Edger picking these tear jerking songs? Man, when we sing, we will need to bring boxes of Kleenex to every show!

We stumbled through the song, but it was our first time singing. I think everyone in the Glee Club wants to shine in the song. That can’t be with this song when it was created for a group to sing. Yeah, each of us had a certain kind of solo in the song, however, we needed to work together to make the song work.

The bell rang and I headed to JROTC class. Today we were drilling! That makes it hard on me because I have two left feet but we all have to drill no matter what. I was glad when the bell rang ending this class. I am always the first one out the door.

By the time swim practice rolled around I was tired. That is what I get for ditching school for a day. Coach stopped me as I was walking into the locker room.

“Josh I have my assistant running practice today, do you want to go and see Chris?”

“How is he doing Coach?”

“A lot better since your visit yesterday. The doctor was preparing us for the worst, but you show up and helped Chris through it.”

“Sure Coach, but I need to be home at my normal time.”

“No problem, I will make sure you are back home on time!”

The minute I walked through the curtains to Chris’s bay, I felt weakness in my knees. I just can’t get use to seeing Chris like this. I looked at Coach and his wife as they left us alone. I figure they were going to use this time to eat or something like that.

I sat down on the side of Chris’s bed. I grabbed a hold of Chris’s hand and just talked to him for a while. I told him what Eric did to Elizabeth yesterday! All about what has been going on at school. I told him what I talked to Bernice about. Mainly he and I are always the topic of my conversations with Bernice. And finally told him about the song the Glee teacher chose for us.

I pulled out the sheet music as I looked over to Chris. I held onto his hand as I sang the song to him. By the middle of the song, I knew he was listening to me. Chris squeezed my hand as I sang. That really made me feels good that he was enjoying the song.

Coach walked in right when I finished. It was time to go already. I leaned in and whispered to Chris that I love him and I will see him again very soon. I saw Bernice walking down the street as Coach turned the corner. I got out at the corner to meet up with Bernice.

The rest of the week went the same way. My routine at school never changed. I went to class and did all my homework. Coach would drive me over to see Chris every day after school. That means the only thing that has changed in my routine is that I would skip out of swim practice.

Just as before when I walked into Chris’s bay, Coach and his wife would leave. They left me and Chris alone. I would talk with him about school and everything that was going on. And right before I would leave, I sang to him. Never the same song, I always brought different sheet music to sing to him.

Coach would drop me off at the corner of my block where I would meet up with Bernice. No one at home was the wiser to what I was doing. Plus it seemed Chris is getting better as the days go by.

Coach told me that Chris will be pulled off of some of the machines. His vitals are good enough to do it already but they are going to give him a couple more days. Saturday is when it is going to happen. I needed to get permission from my mom to be there for that.

(ELIZABETH’S POINT OF VIEW)

No matter what happens from now on. I will find a way to get Eric back. What he did to me I will never forgive or forget. At this point he will pay and all I need to do is figure out how I am going to get it done.

After what Eric told me and I tried to walk out of that cafeteria, but the clapping and chanting calling me ice bitch started, I felt lower then scum. I knew the only way I was going to redeem myself is by turning the tables on Eric. It has to be bigger than what he did to me. Also it has to be in front of the entire school like he did to me.

None of my fellow cheerleaders will hang out with me after that. They think by associating with me would make them equal to me in the eyes of those that cheered on Eric. So I sit alone watching and plotting my revenge. Each time I see Eric and his smiling face makes me want to hurt him even more.

I know he is laughing it up with Josh and that new kid that sits with them. I know Josh is backing Eric with what he did. So I know I will have to take Josh down along with Eric. It will not be today, it might not be tomorrow, but it will be when they least expect it.

(JOSHUA’S POINT OF VIEW)

I did my chores as soon as I got up on Saturday. I wanted to make sure when I asked my mom to go and see Chris that there was nothing there for her to use as an excuse to say no. We all sat down to eat breakfast together as always. As usual, mom is getting everything we needed to have before she sits down to eat.

Once again my little brother Brandon surprised me.

“Mom can Josh and I go down to the hospital and see his friend Chris? You heard, he and his father were in a really bad car accident early this week. I think the more friendly faces around him will do him good!”

“I don’t know Brandon about that boy. There is something really wrong with that family. To top it all off, I need to listen to what Elizabeth told me about Chris.”

“Mom you heard what girls do when they get hurt by the one they want to be with. Then finds out they lost that person. They do everything in their power to get back at that person. I am not saying anything bad about Elizabeth, but we don’t know what was going on between Josh and her through that day.

Plus mom you and dad taught us not to judge a person. Not to listen to what anyone that says ill things about another. We need to befriend them and give them the benefit of the doubt. That is what Josh is doing with Chris. You don’t want us to go back on what you and dad taught us!” Brandon concluded using everything my parents stand for to make his case. The boy needs to become a litigation attorney!

Where in the world did Brandon learn to throw things back at my mother in this way? He did it so polite she didn’t even know what had hit her. I just looked at my brother prouder than ever of him as my brother. I am learning more about Brandon and how much I can trust him about matters in my life.

“I can’t take you boys to hospital. I have way too many things to do here at the house!”

That was my cue to jump in for the first time.

“Mom several of the swim team members decided to go and our Coach said he would pick up who ever wanted to go and take them home.”

“Fine, if your Coach will be there the entire time. I have no problem you boys going!”

I smiled over at Brandon and mouthed thank you to him. We finished eating and headed to get ready. I called Coach and told him I got permission to go. He was happy that I did get the permission.

By ten Brandon and I were ready to go. We walked out to meet Coach in the driveway. As we sat there waiting, I turned to Brandon.

“You don’t know how much this means to me, bro. Thank you so much for helping me out. I hope you are not bored just sitting there!” I said genuinely caring about Brandon’s time.

“Josh I am never bored hanging with my brother. That is all I want to do is hang with you. I want to be there for you while you are there for your friend.”

“Still, thank you Brandon for everything. You are more than welcome to hang with me whenever you want. You don’t even need to ask!”

We hugged right as Coach drove up. He honked his horn to get our attention. Both Brandon and I got into Coach’s car. Once we arrived at the hospital we walked right into the ICU where Coach’s wife was waiting.

Soon after we arrived the doctors walked in. They explained to us what to expect when they start to pull Chris off the machines. They made it clear Chris’s vitals got even better in the last day. They felt more comfortable about taking him off the machine that helps him breathe!

The doctor went up to the Chris and did a couple things to him. Then he went to the machine and started to touch certain buttons on it. Coach and his wife held each other tight. Brandon got closer to me and put his hands on my shoulder.

The doctor did a couple more things with the machine and then alarms went off. I just stared at Chris hearing the alarms going off. What in the world is going on is all that is going through my mind.

TO BE CONTINUED……………..

NOTE TO READERS:

{What are all the alarms going off in Chris’s room at the hospital? Was Chris ready to come off the machines yet or did the doctors mover too quickly? Brandon is becoming a trusted brother to Josh. Maybe that is what Josh needs in his life as well. He needs a family member he can lean on. Bernice may become the actual glue that holds Josh and Chris’s relationship together, that is if Chris makes it out of the hospital. What do you think will happen with Josh if Chris doesn’t make it? Let’s not even go there for right now. Eric once again proved that he is Josh’s true best friend. He stood up against Elizabeth and put her in her spot. Still Elizabeth will not let it go. She is angrier now than she was before. I really hope whatever she tries to do, fails because if it doesn’t, who knows what damage she can do to Eric and the guy’s? This story is unfolding with so many twists and turns you can’t skip an installment. Please stick around and see what come next in Josh’s life. There is a so much to answer in the chapters to come. Keep reading the future chapters, and enjoy! Please email me and let me know how I am doing at jacobmillertex@aol.com, Thanks!}
EDITOR’S CORNER:

 

Well, Chris has drawn his will to live from Josh. Love does have wonderful powers that we can’t prove, yet we know exist.

Bernice….what a great friend for Josh! Something tells me she’s going to be a major player in how Josh’s life unfolds. Josh has the backing of but a few people, but those that are there are prime quality, which makes up for any shortage in numbers. Add up the quality: Bernice, Eric, Brandon; there’s examples of three truly solid people on Josh’s team. I have no doubt that the numbers will increase as time goes on and the quality will always remain high.

Ok…who missed it? Coach and Nancy leaving Chris and Josh alone: They already got an earful about Chris. Neither of them is dim witted. I’m doing some math and figure that they just might have gotten the idea…….

Now, I probably should keep my thoughts to myself in that our author buddy reads my comments. He just might put in a twist just to leave me with egg on my face. Hmmm…would he P.O. the editor ? Yeah, I know, I’m cocky (and I’m sure that comment got an evil grin from a good share of you).

Thank you to each of you that has taken the time to e-mail Jacob and, consequently, me. Yes, I read all the comments, suggestions and you send. Someone even asked Jacob “Where did you find “Daddy” Rick?” Well, somehow that e-mail got lost or I would have responded. Should that person care to ask again, I will answer. Now, one thing to remember with me is, be sure you want the honest, unabashed answer before you ask!

Until next time, be well, love those around you and stay safe.

“Daddy” Rick

Copyright © 2013 JacobMillerTex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So relieved that Chris lived and Josh's love for him is carrying him through...(sniff)!!

I wish Liz would go away forever, but am happy Brandon and Eric are helping out. Love the coach too for beating on that deadbeat dad!

Link to comment

Shadow of my Father is a fantastic story. I just finished reading Chapter 5 and am ready to start Chapter 6. You keep me in suspense during and at the end of each Chapter. This story needs to be shared with many youth in our schools and colleges today. They need to know that it's OKAY to be different, whether that be musically talented, artistically inclined, or gay. I will keep reading this story.

Thanks for writing.

Link to comment

I love both your comments at the end of the chapter, they are almost as good as the chapter itself.

Liz really should quit while she is ahead with the hole she is digging she's going to end upin China soon lol.

i hope Chris is alright and he's just making it know he wants off the machines. I don't think I like josh's mother she seems to just be a grownup version of Iz just essential virulent.

Link to comment

What a connection the that the two lads have. I am so relieved that Brandon is supporting his brother and can talk to his mother into letting them both go visit the hospital.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..