Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 353 Words
  • 1,360 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Case:Black - 26. Chapter 26

Penn State University Medical School

Virology Department

2115EST/2015CST

Posted Image

 

 

 

The images of the Pandora virus began to appear on Dr. Abraham Berger’s monitor. As that download completed, the download for the gene sequence began. Berger pushed his glasses up his nose and squinted as he looked at the images of the nasty little bugger.

Dr. Wells voice came in a little tinny on his speakerphone, “Are you getting it Abraham?”

“Yes. It’s coming in now. What are these spikes?”

“This is Liao. We think they are primary or alternate receptor sites.”

Berger snorted. “What does the gene map look like?”

Wells answered, “It looks like a 100% match with the White Sands pathogen and a 92% match with VEE. There are three discrete splices. Two are 3% of the genome and the other is 4%.”

Dr. Sanjay Singri, Berger’s aid said, “This work was done in the mid-eighties. What do you want to bet that these splices come directly from another organism?”

Wells said, “We thought so too. We’ve got a pattern matching search running on our database to see if we can figure out what they came out of.”

Singri said, “Dr. Wells, aren’t you working with Abigail Ames?”

“Yes. She seems to be a smart girl if a little on the quiet side.”

Singri chuckled and said, “Don’t let her hide. For her thesis, she sequenced the Ross River Valley fever virus and suggested applying existing anti-virals for its treatment.”

The Ross River Valley virus or RRV was an alphavirus that caused febrile illness and arthritis endemic to Ames native Australia.

Wells said, “Yeah, I can see where that could be useful. Abraham, do you think protease inhibitors might help?”

Berger said, “Maybe. We need to figure out how different this bug is from the rest of the brood. I know the guys over at John Hopkins are working on alphaviruses. I’ve got a couple of grad students looking at the literature.”

Wells said, “We need to figure out something fast. The hospitals are filling up and I’ve got a lot of people screaming for treatment guidance.”

Copyright © 2014 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I know there'll be death, violence, and drama, but the prospect of a cure being

found surprises me. I'd be even more surprised if it happens early on in the epidemic.

 

Your detail and way of putting us in suspense is excellent as always. I'm enjoying

the story, but this chapter was annoyingly short.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..