Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 333 Words
  • 1,535 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Case:Black - 10. Chapter 10

Camp Shelby

Hattiesburg, MS

July 16, 2016 0530CST

 

Posted Image

 

 

Sergeant Rob Taylor watched his kids doing morning P.T. After five weeks in the Mississippi heat, they were shaping up nicely.

They weren't bad for weekend warriors. They were all too damn young and greener than grass. All of them had missed out on the big sand. Afghanistan. Iraq. That had all wound down and most of the vets of those hell-holes didn't want anything more to do with the Army.

It was a shame really. Taylor had spent a lot of years in the saddle and missed a lot of friends.

Some had walked away from the army to build a new life somewhere. Others had drowned in a bottle unable to shake the horrors that they had seen. All of them had screwed up at one point or another. It was that kind of war. There was just no way to tell who could live with it and who it would consume like a particularly vicious acid. Too damn many of his friends had committed suicide.

As he watched his platoon finished off morning PT and his squad leaders got the men in formation.

Corporal Kevin Vance approached Taylor, saluted and said, "Drill Sergeant Taylor, the Corporal wishes to inform you that the platoon has completed morning PT and is awaiting your instructions."

Taylor said, "Very well Corporal. I think it's a fine day for a brisk little run. Let's head up Indian Springs trail and back around the artillery range. After chow we'll spend the balance of the day on the range."

Vance stifled a smile and said, "Outstanding Drill Sergeant!" He turned in fine military precision and yelled, "Fall in by squads and saddle up. Follow me and move out."

Taylor suppressed his own grin. How could anybody be that gung ho at this time of the morning looking at a twenty mile run?

As the last squad took off, Taylor took off behind the squad.

Copyright © 2014 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A mix of seasoned and green army can make for an interesting side of stew. I have to wonder who will handle the situation better...

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..