Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 589 Words
  • 1,286 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Case:Black - 28. Chapter 28

Southaven, MS

4th Mechanized Infantry Brigade Headquarters

2100CST

 

Taylor got the call to pull his platoon back a little after 2000. They were immediately replaced by a platoon of military police that had been reconstituted and deployed from Camp Shelby. On the way back to the area HQ, the only thing he saw on the streets were police cars and trucks spraying for mosquitoes.

The National Guard presence in Southaven had grown steadily to Brigade strength over the course of the afternoon and evening. After being one of the first deployed, Taylor’s platoon had been pulled off the line and back to headquarters area to get some chow, rest and recover from spending the afternoon roasting in their MOPPs gear.

At 2100, 3rd company’s platoon and squad leaders were summoned to a briefing with Captain Carlson.

Taylor was glad to see Carlson. He had been the Company Commander since an Iraqi sniper killed the former CO in Dohuk province of Iraq in 2008. Experienced officers were a lot less likely to get his men killed by being stupid and experience in the Big Sand was painfully Darwinian.

Carlson gathered everyone into a circle and began, “The reason I called you together is that I need my most experienced people for the job the people upstairs have in mind. If this proceeds as we expect it to, things are going to get pretty bad right around 1900 tomorrow night. We can expect things to plateau and then start to decline. It’s going to be dangerous. We just saw some video of what happened at White Sands in 2005 and now I understand why FEMA treated Hurricane Katrina like a distraction.”

“First of all we’re going to load out everybody with tasers. The people out there are sick. We don’t know if the docs can do anything for them but unless we absolutely have to kill them, I want them bagged. Tasers turn their lights out and they stay down for a while; long enough to secure them and not hazard your people.”

“Second, we are detaching squads to accompany paramedics and police. You’ll be acting as their back up.”

“Third. We know that we are going to have to do some clean up outside the perimeter. That’s a given. The good part is that we only have to worry about our area of responsibility. USSOCOM has Special Forces ready to deploy to outbreaks behind the lines. We can expect Army Rangers and Green Berets out of Bragg to take care of our rear areas. As of this moment, they are set up to work out of Columbus Air Force base and can be anywhere in the state in about a half hour.”

“I know you guys are hot and tired. Get some rest and we’ll start working up by squads to reinforce the locals in the morning. That’s all I’ve got. Any questions?”

He looked around and saw there were none and said, “Dismissed.”

Most of the platoon and squad leaders broke up but Taylor sought Carlson out and said, “Colonel, may I have a word?”

“Sure Taylor. What can I do for you?”

“I’ve got some of my original guys from the Big Sand on their way. They should be here before morning.”

Carlson nodded. “That’s Sherman and Nash?”

“Yeah and I’ve got Two-Eagles and Bernardi.”

Carlson rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “OK. When they get here, I want the five of you in squad. I think I just found the troubleshooters that I was looking for.”

Copyright © 2014 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..