Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 374 Words
  • 1,246 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Case:Black - 27. Chapter 27

Southaven General Hospital

4th Floor

2045CST

 

The doctors ran out of time. They had patients and they had to act.

Jackson and his ad hoc group of clinicians looked at all the available information and consulted with colleagues. There was no standard treatment for Pandora so they had use their best judgment.

They knew how to treat encephalitis. West Nile and other mosquito borne viruses had given them quite a bit of experience with standard encephalitis. No one had ever attempted to treat a case of Pandora.

Dr. Jackson and Pharmacist Chief Yates answer to Pandora was an IV mixture of several drugs. First was a steroid that minimized inflammation and swelling. The second was a mild analgesic to blunt the pain of the splitting headache that went with onset of encephalitis. In the absence of guidance from above, three separate anti-viral drugs.

First was a fusion inhibitor: a compound that blocks a virus’s entry into a host cell.

The second was a protease inhibitor: when a virus manipulates its genetic material, it uses an enzyme called protease to create useful strands of genetic material. By blocking protease, the drug blocks a key phase of viral replication.

The last antiviral was a Nucleotide Reverse Transcription Inhibitor. This drug blocks a virus’s ability to accurately copy its genetic material.

Jackson hooked up the first IVs for a pair of teen aged twins, across the hall a mother, a young woman, and each and every one of them trusted him to make things better. For the sick, desperate patients in that ward he transcended being a doctor. He was a white clad symbol of all their hopes in the science of medicine.

All of the anti-viral drugs were developed and tested against HIV/AIDS: a disease that caused similar pervasive fear in previous decades. He remembered the stories of the doctors during the eighties and early nineties and how helpless they felt as their patients slipped away. Jackson hoped that the lessons learned from that fight would help him here.

Soon all of the incoming patients got an IV bag full of Jackson and Yate’s witches brew. All the doctors and nurses could do was stand back, pray and see how it worked.

Copyright © 2014 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..