Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 417 Words
  • 1,974 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Case:Black - 16. Chapter 16

Southaven, MS

July 16, 2016 1530CST

 

 

Sergeant Taylor’s platoon deployed along State Line Avenue from I-55 to Airline Boulevard.

He put his command post in the parking lot of a defunct barbecue joint and put his men in squads about 100 meters apart.

What they were doing in Southaven there and exactly why they were there, no one had bothered to tell him. At some point in his past he seemed to remember that Condition Black indicated a worst case biological attack against the United States. Having been issued MOPP-4 (Mission Oriented Protective Posture) gear in upper nineties Mississippi heat seemed to lead credence to that theory.

FEMA was there too running around in HUMVEEs. What they were doing was also a mystery. Taylor’s Company Commander was a Captain named Carlson that had not arrived as yet and a Lieutenant Boussard had set up a block south of them and theoretically controlled a 4 mile frontage from Highway 51 to Swinnea Road.

He had two other companies on his right and left flanks and no orders beyond set up a perimeter.

Someone set up a civilian radio which was providing more information than the command net:

This is the Emergency Alert System. The United States has sustained a major biological attack. Martial Law is in effect. All schools, businesses and public accommodations are ordered closed. Please go to your home and follow the situation on television and other media.

He looked around his command post and no one spoke or even moved. Everyone was shocked.

Taylor walked outside his CP looked around. There was no traffic except for a few cops and Army HUMMERs. Finally his command net came to life in his ear bud:

“This is Captain Carlson of 30 Company to all units. Memphis has been hit by an unknown biological agent. Our orders are to establish a cordon surrounding the city in conjunction with Arkansas and Tennessee Guard Units. We cannot allow anyone regardless of whether they are showing symptoms of any kind to cross our line south. Our only chance is to contain the infection. We are a quick and dirty task force and expect reinforcements shortly. For now, man the road blocks and hold the line. I know that we’re thin on the ground but we’re all there is. Platoon leaders, conference, in five minutes.”

Taylor adjusted his comms to speak to his platoon: “Squad leaders: you heard the man. Deploy roadblocks and no one gets through!”

Copyright © 2014 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..