Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 578 Words
  • 1,355 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Case:Black - 25. Chapter 25

Southaven General Hospital

Screening Area

2010 CST

 

Dr. Ralph Wiggins was a GP working in one of the local minor medical care clinics. On most days he saw flu, chicken pox, skinned knees and twisted ankles. He had volunteered with a number of the clinics staff members to take up the desperate call of volunteers. In his opinion, Southaven General had done an excellent job of getting things organized.

The National Guard had put together a Mobile Army Hospital Unit in one of the hospitals parking lots. It was composed of a mix of mobile buildings and tents. The Guard unit associated with it had arrived earlier in the afternoon and the whole thing was erected in a little more than an hour. Their intention was to use it as a screening facility for the hospital proper. People who were showing symptoms would have blood work done and if they were indeed infected with Pandora.

There were four queues of breath-mask clad patients leading to the screening exams and four groups of doctors and nurses to perform them. So far they had only seen a trickle of patients and none of them were very happy to be there.

A bio-warfare alert drove hypochondriacs absolutely crazy. So far he had seen people complaining of Ebola, anthrax and plague symptoms. Needless to say, none of them were seriously ill unless you counted being scared out of their wits. Several people had been admitted and the staff expected that number to begin to rise sharply in the next few hours.

Wiggins immediately recognized the next patient. Bobby Hill was one of his regulars at the clinic. Bobby was an impossibly tall, thin and awkward middle school kid that Wiggins saw on a far too regular basis. He was a polite, good looking kid but accident prone as he often seemed to trip over his own size 12 feet. The kid was obviously frightened and seemed to be taken aback by the sight of a bunch of masked and gloved strangers.

Wiggins said, “Hi Bobby. How are you feeling?”

The kid recognized his doctor’s voice and seemed to relax a little. “I’m not feeling so good doc. I’ve got a fever, sore throat and all I want to do is sleep.”

The attending nurse put a thermometer in the boy’s mouth and Doctor Wiggins examined the glands in his neck. They were quite tender and the boy winced as the doctor examined them.

Wiggins asked, “You play soccer with Chad Renfro and Sammy Lowe?”

The boy said, “Well yeah, how did you know?”

The doctor said, “Lucky guess. I’ve recently treated them both for Mono. It has been going around your team.”

The boy looked dumbfounded and asked, “Mono?”

“Mononucleosis. Oh you’ll feel like crap for a while but you’ll get over it. It’s common in kids your age.”

Bobby stuttered, “You mean…”

Doctor Wiggins said, “You’re OK. Look up Mono on the net. It will tell you what to do which is pretty much sleep it off. Take Tylenol for the discomfort and you’ll be just fine. Call my office if you have any stomach pain.”

Tears bubbled up in the boys eyes and Wiggins gave him a one armed hug.

He said, “Thanks Doc” and was ushered out the exit for people who were going home.

His nurse said, “That’s a relief.”

Wiggins said, “Ever seen anybody that glad to get a diagnosis of Mono?”

Copyright © 2014 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hey, mononucleosis is a sweet kitten compared to Pandora, aka Mutant Killer Zombie Mist!! :lmao:

Now if Bobby's parents had a nice old cold war era fallout shelter bunker with a really secure blast-proof door, that would be the ideal place to "sleep off" his case of mononucleosis, while the soon to begin ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE raged outside! :2thumbs:

zombies-360x278.jpg

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..