Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 361 Words
  • 2,281 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Case:Black - 9. Chapter 9

Homeland Security Command Post

Carlsbad, NM

August 30, 2005

 

Posted Image

 

 

 

It had been a hard week for McGrath. He had seen some of his worst nightmares about Pandora come true.

He had painfully reconstructed the last few weeks around the White Sands Lab but no one was exactly sure what had gone wrong.

Jerry Fowler from the New Mexico National Guard entered the Command Post and said, “Do we have anything new?”

McGrath shook his head and said, “Things went to hell so fast there is just no way to tell. It’s obviously a lab accident but we can’t be sure who patient zero was. Any one of twelve people might have been it but we just can’t be sure.”

There was a TV image of hurricane Katrina with a talking head from CNN showing floodwaters in New Orleans. Fowler said, “I never thought that I’d be happy about a hurricane but we needed it to keep the media out of here. Any idea what our cover is going to be.”

McGrath said, “We got lucky. We’ve only lost a couple of hundred people. The bosses are spinning it as an outbreak of a local variant of the Hantavirus.”

Fowler said, “Hantavirus Alamogordo: will that fly? The conspiracy nuts are already calling this a zombie outbreak.”

McGrath shook his head. “CDC and USAMARID are playing ball. It’ll sell.”

“In a way, it’s worse than the conspiracy nuts think”, McGrath groused. “If people knew how close we came to losing it here, there would be brown trousers all over the country, maybe the world. We won’t really be out of the woods for months. We aren’t sure that we have accounted for all of the infected and if mosquitos are spreading it around we could have a whole new wave of infections.”

“You’re just full of good news”, Fowler muttered. “I have to see the Governor this afternoon. What do I tell him?”

“Tell him that we are cautiously optimistic that it’s over but we will have to monitor the situation closely for the next sixty days. After that, we should be completely out of the woods.”

Copyright © 2014 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I just never understand the idea of keeping everything secret. I know you don't want to cause a panic but by the time the truth comes out it is usually too late...

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..