Jump to content
    Jdonley75
  • Author
  • 6,363 Words
  • 4,816 Views
  • 33 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cornucopia - 2. Purpose

Kyle pulled into the driveway and checked a sigh as he parked and shut the engine off. The drive to and from the school had been uneventful and was starting to become a regular routine for him and Matt. A month into kindergarten, he had assumed that the feeling of loss would start to abate or at least not make him feel so empty every morning after dropping his little boy off. The reality proved to be less than ideal especially once he got back home and found there was very little for him to do. There was always Aaron, of course. He was just starting to take his first tentative steps on his own and Kyle smiled remembering the look of delight on Jacob’s face as they witnessed those first careful steps on his own. Since then, Aaron has shown more and more delight at holding Jacob’s or Kyle’s hands as he carefully maneuvered his little feet one step at a time. Their little family was coming along. In many ways, he was so happy to see it all unfolding.

And yet, this growing discontent inside left him feeling like there was something missing. Or maybe more to the point, that he felt like he wasn’t doing everything that he could be doing. Parenting itself was a job that came with a lot of rewards but also required a lot of effort. He would tell himself he should be proud of all his accomplishments in such a short span of time from helping Matt with learning his alphabet to Aaron’s first cruising tour around their bedroom. This was still a team effort raising two boys, and he should not feel like he was the less useful of the two of them. But, deep down, the doubts persisted. Whenever there was a moment of quiet in the house and everyone else was busy doing something, Kyle would find himself remembering what it felt like being in a courtroom or in a meeting. Planning out strategy, taking testimonies or brokering a deal with a defendant. He could remember how satisfying it was for him when he would get that win for someone. That he was making a difference in someone’s life.

Now, he was just a stay at home father. Everyone else had their jobs, goals, children, spouses. He had much of that as well, but he wanted to be an active participant in life. Not passively waiting for something to come his way. Over the last year, his savings dwindled down to nothing. No decent jobs appeared and the idea of continuing his career seemed to be fading away.

Even the car was a sign of his new status as a house-husband. It was a year old SUV. An Equinox that Jacob had bought him when his old car finally gave out. Since someone had to take Matt to school every day, it seemed only right that he have his own transportation even if David and Jacob both had vehicles that he could have borrowed. Kyle wanted to protest and insist on buying his own, but he was in no position to do so since he had no income of his own coming into the house. He was still unemployed, and it was looking as if things were going to stay that way for awhile at least. So, Jacob would have to be the primary income maker until Kyle found a way to change things.

As he walked through the door leading to the kitchen, Kyle put all those thoughts away and followed the sound of his father’s voice. He smiled a little as he headed towards the front of the house to find his father sitting on the floor. Resting against the sofa, smiling brightly as he held Aaron in a standing position as they watched a cartoon. At the sound of Kyle’s footsteps, the child’s head sharply turned with an inquisitive expression in his wide expressive eyes. The movement made Kyle chuckle as the little boy gazed up at him with a sort of shocked look on his face.

David looked back and smiled as he said to his grandson in a hushed voice, “who is that Aaron? Is that Daddy?” The boy’s face broke into a wide grin as he began to giggle excitedly when the recognition took hold.

Kyle showed Aaron his excited smile as he closed the distance between them. “Yeah! I’m back, just like I said I would.” He picked up Aaron and held him while giving into the temptation to kiss his cheek which elicited the same fit of giggles he always received. While holding him, Kyle also took a moment to inspect Aaron’s diaper. “Looks like grandpa already changed you while I was gone?”

David was slowly getting on his feet as Kyle held his little boy. “It wasn’t that bad. Good job on getting him to start sleeping through the night.”

Kyle shot David a rueful grin. “Getting Aaron to sleep through the night was easy. Getting Jacob to sleep through night… now that was hard.”

David laughed slightly as he moved to the hallway to grab his jacket. “He can’t help it. He wants to be attentive.”

“A little too attentive at times.” He watched as David came back into the room with his jacket on and Aaron’s in his hands. “What’re you doing?”

We,” David corrected, “have errands to run.” He slowly worked to get Aaron’s arms into the jacket while Kyle held him steady.

“We?”

“Yes.” He looked Kyle in the eyes with a serious expression. “It’s time you started learning all the stuff that needs to get done around here.”

Kyle’s confusion only deepened. “I know how to order stuff.”

David flashed him a paternally patient smile. “There’s more to ordering than just punching in numbers in a computer and sending it off. Some things need a more personal approach.”

Kyle didn’t fully understand but he shrugged and followed David out the back door and to David’s Ford Explorer. After getting Aaron safely strapped into his seat and stored away the baby carrier and his diaper bag, David started up the engine and they headed into town. As the radio played, Kyle looked out the window, silently watching the world pass by him. It dawned on him that the two of them rarely got a chance to be alone in a car together since he was a teenager. Memories came back to him as the miles drifted by and a small smile crept onto his face. Life had been so much easier back then. The trips around the county with crates of apples in the back. Hearing David greet strangers and friends as they sat for hours in make-shift stalls, sharing stories and learning about their work. Happy times they spent together with no cares or worries about what was to come.

“How come you don’t go to farmer’s markets anymore,” Kyle asked his dad.

David sighed softly. “It just became too much of a hassle. And Jacob came up with the idea of just having them come to us instead.”

“Really?”

“Yup,” he replied with a nod. “It took a year or two but, it all worked out for the best. I actually make more profit this way and I think it’s been better for everyone all around. Myself, and the town.”

“It’s easier on you,” Kyle said. “I’m kind of glad you’re not out there running all over.”

“You need to run around more,” David replied.

Kyle gave his father a confused grin. “What?”

“Kyle,” David said with fatherly admonishment, “you’ve been living at the house for two years now and you spent most of that time at home.”

Kyle shrugged. “It’s where I live. I have kids to take care of.”

“So does Jacob,” David pointed out. “He gets out of the house more than you do.”

“He’s working,” he pointed out. “He’s halfway to Columbus right now. Won’t be back until late from what he said this morning.”

David made a disapproving sound in his throat. “He does other stuff. He goes to the gym. Visits with friends. Andy and Brian stop by all the time. So does Troy and Liz.”

“So, what is it you’re getting at?”

“You need to stop hiding out. Get out and be more social.”

Kyle rolled his eyes. “I think you’re misstating things a bit.” Privately he had to admit his dad had a point. When he was a teenager, he spent plenty of time at home, but he also went to parties, swimming practice, hung out at places in town with friends. He toyed with the idea a few times, but he didn’t like the idea of leaving the boys behind.

David said nothing more on the subject as he pulled into the Tractor Supply Co. parking lot. Once he was parked, Kyle got Aaron out of the back seat and followed David inside. As much as the drive reminded him of his youth, being at this place was an even bigger nostalgic moment for him. “God, I haven’t been in here since…”

“Since you were about twelve, yeah,” David supplied with a smirk. “I used to do this all the time. Now I just make one order for the winter and one for the spring. The rest of the time is just to visit mostly. I do like to shop here just for myself once in awhile, though.”

They stepped inside and Kyle’s first moment was taking in the familiar scents in the store. The acrid fertilizers, the animal food, the clothes along the far side wall. All of it a mixture of memories of long ago. A few other customers were meandering around the front of the store while employees were helping and directing people to what they were looking for. Kyle nodded to a few people who greeted him and his dad while keeping Aaron balanced in his carrier he had strapped across his chest. The farther they walked through the store, the more looks Kyle was getting from people as he followed his father. They were curious looks and fond smiles seeing the little child absently chewing on his fingers as they made their way through.

David stepped up the counter and smiled as he greeted a plump gray haired woman behind the counter. “Millie. How’re you doing this morning? Keeping Harold busy?”

Millie’s plump frame shook slightly as she laughed. “Well, hi, Davey. He’s in the back doing inventory. I’m doing just fine, thank you.” Her gaze went from David to Kyle. When she saw the baby attached to him her eyes brightened in familiar maternal affection. “Oh…!” She quickly stepped around the counter and approached Kyle. With their height difference she was able to meet Aaron’s curious gaze with a wide-smiled wonder. “Who is this little darling?”

Kyle grinned with no small amount of pride. “This is Aaron. Our newest little boy.”

Millie gasped as she let Aaron grasp his hand around one of her fingers. “Oh, he is just beautiful. Kyle, it’s been so long since I saw you last. Your daddy shows us pictures and all. But seeing him is even better.” She stroked Aaron’s dark hair and her smile widened. “He’s got his daddy’s eyes, for sure. Along with his hair.”

David laughed. “Jacob is pretty proud of that. He’s got his mom’s nose.”

Aaron, understanding only that he was the center of attention opened his mouth in a happy smile which only made Millie squeal in delight. “He’s going to be a heartbreaker too.” She took one more look at the baby before turning her attention to David. “Here for some fertilizer? Thought you still had a week or so before the orchard closed for the year.”

“You’re right,” he replied with a nod. “But I want to get a head start on things, so they get delivered before too long. I also have some other stuff I want to look at.”

The older woman returned to the other side of the counter, pulling out a thick binder and placed it on the counter in front of him. “No harm in that.” She went to the computer next to them and started tapping away at the keyboard, squinting slightly at the screen. “Let’s see here… I’ve got delivery available in three weeks if you have a day in mind.”

As she and David started discussing business, Kyle began to wander towards the clothing section of the store. It was nothing fancy. To the frequent customers here, how something looked mattered less than how durable something was during the warmer parts of the year or how warm it would keep them through the colder months. There was also a small section for children that attracted his attention. He looked over his shoulder once more to see if his dad was still busy and then walked over to see what he could find. Within seconds he saw a little winter cap for kids. The fabric felt soft to the touch and it gave Kyle the idea that the baby would likely need something when the temperatures got colder. He glanced at the price tag which only served to bring back those inadequate feelings he had earlier in the morning. Managing his best cheerful smile, Kyle carefully placed the blue cap on Aaron’s head to see how he would look. He chuckled at the confused look on the baby’s face at the feel of something being placed over his head causing Aaron’s questioning gaze to find Kyle’s eyes, looking for confirmation that everything was alright.

“You look so cute, precious little boy.” Kyle gave him the brightest grin possible which eased Aaron’s uncertainty and brought a happy smile back to his face. Inwardly, Kyle breathed a sigh of relief. While Aaron was generally a happy child, he had set records in the house for how loud his screams could get if he was upset about something. One thing they had learned over the last few months was that Aaron was not fond of things on his head. If it was too tight or covered his eyes, he could become difficult to calm back down once he blew up. The last thing Kyle wanted was a scene in the middle of the store. He snapped a quick picture of Aaron with the cap on before removing it before Aaron had a change of heart about the feel of the fabric on his head. Once he had Aaron settled back in place, he sent the picture to Jacob. Maybe if Jacob approved of it, he would interpret that as permission to buy it before they left the store.

Kyle heard his father call to him and found David nearly surrounded by half a dozen men all looking in his direction with friendly smiles. He suppressed a knowing laugh and shook his head as he walked up, keeping his hands on Aaron who sat suspended in his carrier. He could tell from the twinkle in David’s eyes that he had been bragging and was eager to show off. It wasn’t that his father liked to gloat. Just loved sharing the joys in his life with others. “How’s things going,” he asked as stepped up to David.

“Boys, this is Kyle, if any of you forgot.” The pride in David’s voice was subtle but unmistakable. “And here’s our little baby boy, Aaron.”

One of the older men with hair almost entirely white laughed as he stepped up. “Good to see you again, Kyle.”

Kyle recognized the man from the orchard a couple weeks ago and smiled politely in acknowledgement as he extended his hand. “Hey, Mr. Baker. How’s your daughter?”

Mr. Baker smirked ruefully. “Living in Portland with her husband and two kids I don’t get to spoil like I’d want to.” He leaned down to give Aaron a closer look. “Oh, man. This is definitely Jacob’s kid. Look at those eyes.”

Kyle laughed quietly and nodded. “No doubt about where he got them, that’s for sure.”

“What’s he up to today?”

“Jacob? Oh, he’s delivering some stuff in Ohio. Won’t be back until late, I think.”

“Yeah.” The older man’s smile widened. “He does good work. Bought a pair of end tables from him a year ago.”

Kyle nodded and smiled with a little pride in his eyes. “It feels like he gets busier and busier every day.”

“And what have you been doing with yourself lately?”

Kyle shifted his gaze to Aaron to obscure the mix of emotions the question brought up. “Just staying home most of the time. Helping out where I can.”

A buzz on Kyle’s phone interrupted their conversation. Kyle took a look at the screen and found a message from Jacob. “He looks so cute!”

While he wasn’t sure if that was an endorsement to bring it home, Kyle decided to appeal to his dad. “Hey, Dad? Do you think we should get this for Aaron?”

David look at the cap in Kyle’s hand and shrugged. “Add it to the account. Should start getting serious about fall and winter gear for everyone.” He took it from Kyle’s hands and put in on the counter for Millie to figure into the final balance for the day.

One of the men next to David inquired, “your boy taking over the orchard from you?”

“Kyle still has his law degree but hasn’t had much work since he got married,” David replied. “But I’ve also been teaching him more of the inner workings of the place. Part of why he’s here with me today. I wanted to show him what all we need to get for the end of the year.”

Another man in the small crowd spoke up. “How come you’re doing it now?”

David seemed to look a little embarrassed to Kyle’s eyes when he answered. “Well, I’m thinking about taking a vacation for a few weeks next month.”

Kyle controlled his surprise at his father’s words. David going on a vacation was not something that had been mentioned before. “When?”

David turned to his son and seemed to be offering an apology in his eyes. “After Aaron’s birthday. We’ll talk about it later. Right now, we need to get going. Get some lunch before picking Matthew up from school.” He turned to the others with his friendly smile. “I’ll see you guys later.”

The small gathering wished them well before they headed back out to the parking lot. As Kyle got Aaron settled into his seat he spoke up. “So, what prompted this vacation?”

“Colt,” David replied. “He’s finishing up his last month in the service and he said he wanted to go somewhere for awhile. And he wants me to come with him.”

“Why not just stay here?”

David grimaced slightly. “He… thinks we should have some time to ourselves.”

Kyle didn’t say anything right away while he absorbed all this information. He would be the first to admit that his father had worked a lot over the years and deserved a break. Not just from the day to day running of the orchard but to being the one everyone turned to when they needed someone. Even he had to acknowledge that he brought things to his dad he really didn’t need to sometimes.

Kyle looked over at his dad as they drove through town and for a moment stopped looking at him as just his father and gazed at the man next to him. There was a quiet nobility in his eyes. They showed the burdens he has carried in his life. Burdens that he mostly kept to himself. Most of his life, Kyle remembered his father as a compassionate, caring man who he strove to emulate. He was also a stoic man in the face of adversities. In fact, the only time he could remember his father openly weeping was at the funeral for his best friend, Peter. When he asked about David’s relationship with Peter, he would always do so with a voice tinted with a grief that never quite went away. Maybe it was time for him to let his father live his life instead of helping others live theirs. “That sounds like a good idea to me.”

David met his gaze for a moment before turning his attention back to the road ahead of him. “You should be fine without me for a week or so.”

Kyle shrugged, feigning a confidence he wasn’t entirely sure he had. “It’s no big deal, Dad. Jacob and I are adults. We can keep the house in one piece while you’re gone for however long.”

“Still…” David paused for a moment before pressing on. “I don’t want you feeling like you’re tied down.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, I don’t want you thinking you have to follow in my footsteps. You’re your own man now, Kyle. You’re a lawyer and you should follow that road.”

Kyle felt his cheeks redden slightly. “I know. But it’s not easy with no clients.”

David gave him a rueful look. “And that’s part of why you should get out more. Be sociable. Meet people. Like we did back there. For all you know, there’s a ton of work to be done around here. But you’re not going to find it sitting around the house all day watching Sesame Street with Aaron.”

“Dad, it’s not like I haven’t tried.”

“You haven’t tried,” David replied. “There are three law firms in this town. You telling me none of them were interested in hiring you?”

Kyle frowned slightly. “They were, but they weren’t. It’s complicated.” He looked over at the expectant look in his father’s eyes and sighed before he continued. “They… would like to hire me. But they feel I would have to start at a pretty low level.”

“Like, how low?”

“Basically, taking on the clients they already know are guilty. You know… The DUI’s and battery defendants they know are guilty and don’t want to really defend. So, it would just be me plea bargaining day after day. That’s not what I want.”

“And that wouldn’t really look good for you, I guess.”

“Not if I wanted to take on serious cases. I’d have a horrible record, and no one would want to take a chance on me.”

David sighed. “Well, that sounds like a problem. So, what’s the solution?”

Kyle shrugged helplessly. “Just be a dad, take care of the orchard and be happy with what I have, I guess.”

“You never know, son,” David said reassuringly. “Sometimes, Fate just kind of has a way of making things happen when you least expect it.”

Kyle decided to not reply and let that be the end of the discussion as they pulled into the parking lot of the diner. David took the initiative and got Aaron out of his seat, carrying him inside with Kyle following behind. Once they were shown to a seat, and Aaron was safely in his highchair David opened his menu and pulled a small notepad out of his breast pocket. “Before I forget, there’s somethings I want you and Jacob to get done before Winter sets in.”

Kyle shrugged and opened his menu to see what sounded good. “What’s that exactly?”

As David spoke, he scribbled down notes on a pad. “I need you and Jacob to run out the gas in the ATV’s and then make sure they’re put away for the winter. Once Spring rolls around, then I want you to change the oil in them.”

“What about the carts?”

“I’m keeping one and getting rid of the others. Nice to not have to keep filling a tank on them, but the older they get, the less of a charge they hold.” He stopped scribbling and pointed a finger at Kyle. “Make sure you get a helmet for Matt before you think about letting him ride with you. And Aaron doesn’t get near them at all until he’s at least five.”

Kyle smirked and rolled his eyes. “Yeah. I still know the rules.”

“Good,” David replied with a playful smirk. “Because before long, I expect you to be teaching the rules to Matt before you let him ride one solo.”

Kyle’s smirk vanished as paternal concern kicked in. “He’s too young anyway.”

David’s smirk widened into a grin. “Right now. You’d be surprised at how fast time flies with kids, Kyle. Before you know it, he’ll be eleven or twelve and then you’ll have to give him the same lessons and same rules as I gave you.”

Kyle was caught off guard by his dad’s words. Matt was already six years old and those years seemed to have gone so fast that what David said struck him almost like a physical force. A part of him was so eager to see that future come to pass and yet dreaded how soon it would inevitably come. “I’ll worry about that when the time comes. But, yeah, we’ll get him a helmet before Spring.”

David nodded approvingly. “Good.”

They turned their attention to the menus before a waitress came to their table. Kyle smiled proudly as she doted on Aaron who seemed willing to enjoy the extra attention being in a restaurant afforded him. David remained silent as he recalled his own moments of public pride showing off his baby boy. Looking across the table at Kyle, David wondered if he had been as proud of Kyle and Kyle was of Aaron. Eventually he came to the conclusion that it was most likely a tie.

After the waitress left the table, Kyle waited a breath before speaking. “You didn’t mention where you and Colt were planning on going.”

David smirked slightly as he took a drink of his water. “That’s because I don’t know yet. I have a suspicion we’ll end up in Georgia. He mentioned having a family house there.”

“Probably some huge plantation house,” Kyle replied with a grin.

David chuckled silently. “We’ll see. I have no idea what to expect.”

Kyle chose his next words carefully. “So… what happens after your vacation?”

David shrugged. “Whatever happens, happens.”

He frowned slightly at his father’s response and was just about to speak his mind when a familiar voice called out to him. “Kyle? Is that you? Oh my God!” He turned his head and saw a father and son walk up. The older man was near David’s age while the younger man looked a little older than expected. Kyle remembered that voice with a teenager with a slim frame who was a star high school football player. But the person he saw was a little heavier, a little less hair and walking with a noticeable limp.

“Wow. Isaac Marsh.” Kyle stood up politely and shook his hand. “Where’ve you been hiding yourself?”

“Well,” he said with an embarrassed smile. “I got married. Have two kids and living in Butler with my wife. She’s a veterinarian.” He took a half-step back with what Kyle thought looked more like a stumble before Isaac’s father put a hand on his shoulder.

“Isaac, sit down before you fall down.” His dad kept a steady hand on his son’s shoulder as he guided him to his seat.

From what he saw, Kyle could tell Isaac was a little annoyed by his dad but managed to take his seat in the booth next to Kyle. “What happened to your leg? Don’t tell me it was from a football injury.”

Isaac chuckled as he ran his hand through his hair. “No. I wish. Gave up playing around my junior year of college.” He turned his attention to Aaron sitting in his highchair and grinned. “Who’s this?”

Kyle smiled. “This is Aaron. My younger son.”

“Oh?” The other man’s curiosity was piqued. “How many do you have all together?”

Kyle chuckled. “Just two. Matt is six now. He’s over in Kindergarten now. Aaron is turning one in a couple weeks.”

“And who’s the lucky mom?”

David and Kyle exchanged a knowing look before he answered. “Aaron and Matt have the same mother but different fathers. Genetically at least.”

Isaac got a confused look on his face. “So, was she someone we went to school with?”

Kyle laughed softly and shook his head. “Stephanie is a friend of mine from college. We planned it all out. We had Matt together and then before I married Jacob, we started on Aaron here.”

David looked to Isaac’s father who was chuckling silently to himself as he shook his head while his son was processing the new information. He grinned and said, “think he’s figured it out yet, Bob?”

Isaac looked from Kyle to David and then to his dad, like he was being pranked. “I don’t get it.”

His dad finally said in a slow voice, “Kyle’s married to a guy, son. Jacob.”

“Jacob?” Isaac blinked and started to think before turning his attention back to Kyle. “Jacob. That name sounds familiar. I mean, like, with you. Was there a Jacob in your crew?”

Kyle nodded with a grin. “Yeah. Jacob Eaton?”

Isaac mentally put all the pieces together. “Oh, yeah. I barely remember him. Wasn’t he kind of quiet?”

“When we were in school, yeah,” Kyle confirmed. “You may remember him from a party out at Trenton’s farm the summer before our senior year? He was there with me, Andy and Troy.”

Isaac shook his head. “Wow. I was a really stupid kid back then. Being around a gay person wasn’t even something I thought about back then. Were you guys dating then?”

Kyle shrugged. “Kinda. It’s a long story. We’ve been married for a year now.”

Isaac nodded. “Well, as long as it’s cool with you, it’s cool with me.”

Bob rolled his eyes and look to David. “Kid never suspected this whole time.”

“I was a high school jock,” Isaac said in his defense. “I was too busy catching balls and running routes.”

The two older men shared a quiet laugh before the waitress came to take their order. Once she was gone, Kyle again asked Isaac, “so, what’s with the leg then if it wasn’t you playing backyard football?”

“Oh,” he sighed, “work injury. I was working security for a place that made tractors and stuff. I was out doing the rounds and when I stepped on a stair it slipped off and flipped up and hit me hard on the side of my knee.”

“Oh, wow. Sorry to hear that.”

“You and me both,” he replied with a troubled look in his eyes. “Getting harder to make ends meet.”

“What do you mean?”

“Hard enough raising kids nowadays,” he explained. “Harder when you’re suddenly down a paycheck and got medical bills on top of it.”

“You lost your job,” Kyle asked with a hint of concern and surprise.

Isaac shrugged. “Couldn’t walk around as much after the accident. I filed a workman’s comp case, but they’re giving me the runaround.”

“What about your lawyer? What’s he say?”

Isaac shook his head. “Barely returns my calls. All I get from him is, ‘it’s coming along.’”

Kyle shrugged. “The law can act slow sometimes, but eventually it works out. How long ago did this happen?”

“A year ago.”

Kyle’s eyes widened. “A year?! And no compensation and lost your job? What the hell kind of lawyer do you have?”

“One with a bunch of clients and no time for all of them,” Bob said with a frown.

Kyle paused for a moment, taking in all the information. If he heard right, the company, on top of workers compensation, should more than make up for Isaac’s losses and should either get his job restored or a very generous payout. Or both. His eyes went to his father who only shrugged silently with patient eyes. In his mind, Kyle could hear himself making the argument in court and knew he could win the case. But it could take time. And he would be away from his kids for a time. But it wouldn’t be that long. Just a few hours a day over a few weeks. More than that, he wanted to do it because it was the right thing to do. “Well…. Maybe you need a new lawyer then.”

Isaac shook his head, despondent. “I wouldn’t know where to look.”

“I’m a lawyer. With nothing but time on my hands.”

Isaac looked at his dad and then back to Kyle. “You think you could do this?”

“I know I could do this. But I’d need to know as much as I can about your case.”

Bob put his hand up to interrupt him. “If you two are going to get into this here, how about I switch seats with Kyle and the two of you can have at least a little privacy and Dave and I can eat in peace.”

Kyle agreed and silently checked with his father, getting an approving nod, before he got up and took Bob’s seat before they both started into their conversation. Bob sat down across from David just as their meals showed up.

“So, you married your high school sweetheart?” Isaac had an amused smirk, but he seemed sincerely pleased to hear the news.

Kyle blushed a little and ran his fingers through his hair as he smiled. “I’m still kind of in awe of it all still. Two years ago, I was living in Harrisburg as an assistant district attorney. Now I’m back home, raising a family.”

“Looks to me like you’re doing pretty good then.” Isaac paused when the waitress delivered their order before continuing. “You’ve barely aged a day since I last saw you.”

Kyle laughed quietly. “That’s a lie. But thanks.”

He smiled and shrugged. “Hair’s longer, yeah. You keep in touch with anyone else from school?”

Kyle grinned. “Andy and Troy live here still. Brian too. Andy and Brian just got married last Spring.”

Isaac blinked. “Shit. I’ll admit, hearing you’re gay isn’t that big of a shock. You always had girls all over you but none of them seemed to get anywhere. But Andy Stewart? That guy was always chasing tail.”

“He’s a big flirt mostly. Well, was back then. He joined the Marines and his life’s been up and down ever since. Married. Had two kids. Divorced. Remarried.”

Isaac nodded. “Well, it’s good to see you again.”

They ate their lunch as they continued to talk about their families and Isaac’s needs. Kyle started planning and advising him on what he needed to do next. Knowing their time was short, they made plans to meet again later in the week to take the more formal steps to have Kyle take over his case and get things moving. “So, how come you’re still having problems walking a year after your accident?”

“I had surgery two weeks ago again. Wasn’t healing right and hurt all the time. They had to scope out some stuff to help the tendons heal.”

“Well, once you come over, we can have all the time we need to talk and decide how best to deal with this?”

Isaac looked at him with a curious smirk. “How much are you charging me for all this?”

Kyle chuckled and waved a dismissive hand. “Contingency. I don’t get paid unless you get a settlement. So, think of it as you wouldn’t be paying me, they would be.”

“Oh, well, I definitely like the sound of that.”

At the next table, David passed a bottle over to Aaron to keep him occupied while he and Bob ate. The older men looked at each other in between bites for a moment before a small smirk appeared on his face. “That was easier than I thought it would be,” Bob muttered softly.

David matched his old friend’s tone. “Kyle’s been needing a purpose in his life other than being a dad.”

Bob glanced over at the two younger men who were still talking about what they have been up to before starting in on his meal. “I guess the real question now is, can Kyle really help him?”

David nodded as he ate. “When Kyle sets his sights on something, he won’t give up until he wins.”

“Well, thanks all the same for helping.”

David just shrugged and continued to eat his lunch. “Should have told me sooner.”

 

****

 

The sound of running water brought Kyle out of a deep sleep. His heavy eyes lifted just enough to take in the time on the clock resting on the dresser nearby. The water was coming from the bathroom near his side of the bed. A small sliver of light stabbed through the nearly closed door. It took him another moment to register that the sound of the shower running meant Jacob was home. A tired smile lifted his lips as he allowed his eyes to close again. Soon after, the water was turned off, a little rustling was heard before the light clicked off and Jacob quietly padded around the bed to slip quietly under the covers.

“You came back late,” Kyle whispered softly.

Jacob’s hand reached out to touch Kyle’s face. “Sorry if I woke you up. It was a longer drive than expected. Dad was still up when I got home though.”

Kyle slid closer and felt Jacob’s head nuzzle into his neck. “Do you have anything planned on Friday?”

“Just working in the orchard. Why?”

Kyle yawned. “Isaac Marsh is coming to dinner here Friday night with his wife and kids.”

“Who’s Isaac Marsh?”

Kyle chuckled a little under his breath. “Guy from high school, remember? Played football.”

“What’s so important that he’s getting invited to dinner with us?”

“I’m his new attorney. He and I are going to go over his case Friday night before I file his case in the Common Pleas court.”

Jacob smiled and kissed Kyle’s neck. “I’ll definitely be there then. But now, I’m just tired. Goodnight, my love.”

Kyle smiled and settled in. “Goodnight, baby.” As he drifted off again, he felt the concerns and anxieties of the last few months fade away with the promise of a new opportunity in his life.

Copyright © 2020 Jdonley75; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 49
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



1 hour ago, tesao said:

What a treat to be lifted out of this stressful week, even for a short while, by your wonderful writing and these lovable characters.  I’ve missed them. Isaac is a lucky guy to have a loyal fighter like Kyle on his side, and Kyle is blessed to have an insightful father who is still looking after his kids.

I had to rewrite Isaac a couple times to get him just right.  Doubtful he'll be seen again, but you never know with me.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/5/2020 at 7:19 AM, spyke said:

I think it is a safe bet that after these past couple of months, we all needed this, so a big THANK YOU @Jdonley75!  David knows that Kyle needed a kick in the butt and the best way to accomplish that was to give Kyle a good fight for an underdog. David's not worried at all about leaving for vacation or an extended period of time. He knows that Jacob knows how things are run and that he'd keep Kyle on track with the orchard. The biggest issue for David is going to be missing his grandchildren, but I'm sure that Colt can keep him occupied and focused on other things 🤣

I've had a lot on my plate lately that's kept me busy.  I wish I could get stories done faster, but these things take time. :) 

In truth, Jacob does know more about running the orchard than Kyle does at this point in time but I think David envisions the two of them working together.  What he wants and what he'll get may end up being entirely different.

I'm glad you enjoyed the story and I hope I get more done soon.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
On 11/5/2020 at 12:41 AM, nix said:

I legit screamed when I saw that there was a new update, and pressed the heart reaction even before I read this haha.

This is a solid second chapter. I’m happy that we got an update on the Howard Clan. Looking forward to David’s vacation with Colt!

I'm glad you like seeing where their collective stories are going.  There's a lot of things coming in their futures.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..