Jump to content

Baring My Soul

   (11 reviews)
Genres: General Fiction
Sub-genres: Drama

What happens when a secret threatens to destroy everything you hold dear? How do you hang onto your sanity when your world collapses? These are questions Maverick finds himself searching answers for. Will he find any?

**Trigger Warning** Topics of abuse, suicide, and mental illness are a major theme of this story.
Copyright © 2023 Secret Author; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (10 members)

  • Action Packed 4
  • Addictive/Pacing 7
  • Characters 9
  • Chills 9
  • Cliffhanger 6
  • Compelling 10
  • Feel-Good 2
  • Humor 3
  • Smoldering 3
  • Tearjerker 6
  • Unique 7
  • World Building 3

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 14,893 Words
    • 1,783 Views
    • 54 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

drsawzall

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

A powerfully written story of the effects mental illness and child abuse can have on a family. A tale of survival when the fates conspire to spend years beating you down.

There are several triggers present in this story and as noted below, it is worth reading.

Response from the author:

Mental illness is always a years-long journey. And it's a hard one. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 7
Link to review
chris191070

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

This is an amazing piece of writing.

But I advise caution when reading it.

This is a hard hitting story that deals with child abuse, suicide and severe mental illness.

It's well worth reading but I would advise having a box of tissues because you will be in tears when you have read it.

Response from the author:

Thanks Chris. You are always there with words of encouragement and I appreciate it. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 6
Link to review
astone2292

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

This story is not for the faint of heart. With that in mind, this piece is beautifully written. Do not be daunted by the 14k word count. Very worth reading. 

Response from the author:

Thanks Aaron. 

  • Love 6
Link to review
Bill W

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

A powerful, riveting, and well-written story that explores the highs and lows of marriage and raising a dysfunctional family.  I found it heart-warming at times, as well as upsetting and terrifying at other times, and yet I couldn't stop reading.  Kudos to the author and I recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind going through an emotional roller coaster ride.  I know you'll quickly discover what I mean when you read it. 

Response from the author:

Thanks. I'm glad you hung on throughout the ride. 

  • Love 6
Link to review
raven1

· Edited by raven1

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

Baring My Soul is a hard hitting story dealing with difficult topics that often affects the lives of many of us.  Mental health, child abuse and attempted suicides.  The story is a realistic portrayal  of these issues and their impact on family and friends.  There is a hopeful element of courage and survival of a family that faces these problems together.

Have tissues ready, and please heed the warning about triggers if you are susceptible.  This well written story may be difficult to read, but also should be read. 

Response from the author:

Thanks Raven. Your thoughts always mean a lot to me.

  • Love 7
Link to review
Mikiesboy

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

This is a triumph, frankly.  It grabbed me at the first sentence .. 'I've got a secret' that's due to my own mental health issues, suicidal ideation and the secrets i've kept. 

But i digress, i knew from the start this would be a rollercoaster of emotional pain and upheaval. I was right. You handled this so well, it was beautifully written. A triumph.

You mention in one review that there was no choice but to write it. i hope doing so brought you some relief and perhaps some perspective.  xo

Response from the author:

Everyone has secrets. Writing this was cathartic and so many of the comments and responses gave me a new perspective. It made it worth it. Thank you for reading and leaving a wonderful review. 

  • Love 6
Link to review
Mrsgnomie

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

This story is incredibly heart wrenching in its realism. The world puts kids and family on a pedestal, “the American dream”, but the journey @kbois takes us on is a peek at the harsh reality of life when it’s not all roses. Mental health is a serious issue, and we can talk about u til we’re blue in the face. It is HARD. Love is not always enough. If you’re not family with that heartbreak, this story will help you feel what so many go through.

Well written and great attention to detail.

 

Response from the author:

Too often the "American dream" turns into a nightmare. Love isn't enough. We need way more resources than what's available to help those who need it. You know exactly why this story was written and how real the struggles are. Thanks Boo. ❤️ 

  • Love 5
Link to review
Robert B.C.

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

I love the fact that you wrote the story, compelling as it is and yet I could not say I loved it. It is real to me closely in family and former friends that are mirrored in the fullness of the events and feelings within the story.

Thank you for the telling!

Response from the author:

Thanks for your honesty. It's not a story I wanted to write. It's one I needed to write. 

  • Love 6
Link to review
LemonSoda

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

As many others have noted, this is challenging because it is raw and realistic, but it is also excellently written and engaging. It has lived rent free in my mind since I read it. 

However, I feel I need to add a word of warning that isn't covered by the trigger warnings:

to my fellow developmentally disabled, mentally ill former-troubled-child readers, this story is parental POV. If you find yourself frequently hurt by opinions shared in support groups that mix us in with our parents (and other loved ones) then you shouldn't read this, either. If you can handle the opinions in mixed support groups then it is a worthwhile read. 

Response from the author:

Thank you again for giving me a perspective I hadn't considered when I wrote this story and adding the additional trigger warning. Every reader such as yourself provides an opportunity for me to learn and I really appreciate it. 

  • Love 4
Link to review
Alexmugs

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

This story held me in a vise-grip from the first word to the last. It's one of the most impactful stories I've ever read. It has a trigger warning for a reason. Very few authors can make me cry. I bawled. Please don't pass this up. It's worth every tear. 

Response from the author:

Thanks Alex. 

I don't set out to make anyone cry, but with this story I completely understand. 

  • Love 5
Link to review
MichaelS36

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

You know what I think of this story. 

It's very well done and rips out the hearts of those of us who live this reality. There's a lot of pain, guilt and worry with no clear time lines and no real answers. We live with our ill and suffering loved ones as they go through this and drag us with them. 

Is it worth it? Right now, yes. Every clear moment, every smile, hug and kiss tells me it is. Will this last? I don't know but it shows me what is possible. 

I hope this story helps people understand. It is well written, honest, gritty and real. It's hard to read and it should be. 

I'm sure the winning story deserved it but this one deserves it as well. 

Congratulations. 

Response from the author:

Thank you.... 

..... for absolutely everything. 

  • Love 5
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..