Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 9,898 Words
  • 2,734 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2019 - Fall - Raincheck Entry

The Right Timing - 1. Chapter 1

 

1 - A Missed Date

Bas Emmerson sat at a café called The Pear waiting for his date. It was late July, the weather hot outside on a lazy afternoon. It was the perfect time for a date. If only his date would show up. He smiled and continued reading on his kindle. He sipped his coffee and glanced at his phone.

Liam was late, but it was usual. He often came in thirty minutes later than planned. Liam was the swim team captain, and often had a hard time keeping his promises when he got involved at swim practice.

Still, it was fifteen minutes to three o’clock, and they had promised to meet at two o’clock. Bas let out a sigh, hoping to ease his nerves.

His phone rang, and he reached for it a bit too fast almost knocking his mug of coffee over. Settling the mug, he answered his phone.

“Bas,” his older sister said. “Are you almost done with Liam? We need to start our drive to Columbus. The boxes in your room are in the truck. How long did you say you needed him?”

Bas stared into his mug. He needed more time, but he did not have it.

“A few more minutes, and I’ll be right there.”

“How many minutes?” Bailey pushed for an answer. She was helping him move to Ohio State. They had a two-hour drive ahead.

Bas looked around the coffee shop hoping to see Liam walking in.

“Fifteen minutes,” he said. “Just fifteen and then we can leave.”

“Okay, I’ll buy us something to eat for the drive. I’m picking you up in exactly fifteen minutes. I don’t want to be late driving.”

Bas ended the call and looked around the coffee shop, anxious.

How long had he waited for Liam to notice him? For Liam to give him a second glance and ask him out on a date? Now that he had, Bas sighed and stared at his phone. Where was Liam?

As though to answer his question, a message pinged on his phone and he checked it fast when he saw it was from Liam.

‘Sorry, Bas, I’m caught up at swim practice. Coach won’t let me leave. Can I take a rain check? Let’s try next week. Don’t be mad.’

Bas stared at the message in a state of betrayal. How could Liam have forgotten? The last two days, Bas had spent his time telling everyone he knew goodbye in preparation for his move. His round of goodbyes had included Liam’s swim team. After all, Bas had taken up a position as one of the swim team’s coordinators. There was no farewell party, but…

Bas had wanted to use this date to ask Liam if they could keep talking even though Bas was leaving.

Now it felt as though he was back at the start.

Liam was the captain of the swim team and the best swimmer. Sexy, gorgeous Liam never seemed to notice Bas, until it was too late. He wished Liam had asked him out three months ago, and not three days ago. It left them such little time, well, now there was no time.

Bas stared at the message. He had tried his best these last two years to get close to Liam. He even went as far as joining the swim team, though in an administrative role. It allowed him to interact with Liam, get to know him and cheer him on at competitions. He enjoyed every one of those moments, hoping it would bring them closer. Liam was his first major crush. Bas had hoped it would move from major crush to actual relationship but Liam had slipped between his fingers like the wind.

Wrong timing, Bas thought with regret.

Now, it was time to move on.

*~*~*

 

 

2 – We Meet Again

Mid May of 2018, spring was in full bloom. Bas took pleasure in the fact that he did not have to shovel his driveway, or spray antifreeze on his windshield while driving. He could now wear shorts and a t-shirt, no need for heavy jackets and thermal wear, nothing else registered.

He lived life in a state of heartbreak. Everything felt extra sensitive. Big experiences had high impact, small experiences dragged on and at times grated on his nerves.

On a Monday morning, the heavy hangover from a lazy weekend hard to lift, Bas made his way to work. He was a qualified ophthalmologist. His career was a mouthful but it was his pride and joy. He studied hard, learned the skills and gained the qualifications.

He felt quite proud of his career.

He worked for an eye clinic called Sense Sight, a clinic located at the mall on Green Street, in the quiet town of Mentor, Ohio. His hours were a steady schedule of ten a.m. to seven p.m. on weekdays. He also covered the clinic one weekend every month, rotating this duty with three other doctors. He made good money, enough to live a comfortable life with no fear.

The no-fear part made him happy.

Walking down the brightly lit halls of Belleview Mall, Bas could not fight the urge to look behind him. There was a time he had needed to stay alert on his way to work. How many months ago was that?

Bas frowned as he counted back, and then stopped in the middle of the hall.

Wow, was it already a year?

One whole year since his ex-husband, Troy, gave up on him. Or to be more precise, the law courts and the judge in charge of their case ordered Troy Hansen to leave him alone.

Bas took in the empty wide halls of Level One at Bellevue Mall. He took in a deep breath and let it out slow. He was free to live, as he wanted. It still surprised him that he had that simple freedom. Still, that freedom did nothing for his broken heart. Someone he once cared for had labelled him damaged and unwanted. It still hurt.

“Dr. Emmerson?”

His hold on his travel mug tightened, and he turned to find the kindest nurse he knew smiling at him. Her name was Hope.

“You okay?” Hope asked.

She stood at the entrance into Sense Sight Clinic, holding the door open, her gaze full of concern.

“You’ve been standing there a minute.”

Bas blushed at having been caught reminiscing and returned Hope’s smile.

“I’m fine, Hope.” Bas entered the clinic and she followed him. “What about you? How was your weekend?”

“Busy, my kids had a party yesterday at our house,” Hope said, as he led the way to the back part of the clinic. “My husband thought it would be a great idea to give them a piñata full of candy. You can imagine what evening was like.”

Bas shuddered. He did know what kids juiced on sugar were like. His older sister had four of them. She had a house rule that banned all sugar products as gifts. He did not blame her.

“I’m sure the day will go well today,” Bas said with a sigh, as he entered his office. “What’s the appointment book like?”

“Packed,” Hope grinned at him. “Dr. Stone is ecstatic about Mondays. He says they bring in the most revenue.”

“Good for him,” Bas said, dropping his car keys in a basket at the end of his desk.

Dr. Stone was the owner of Sense Sight. He was an eccentric man in his early forties. He loved the supervising role his position offered. The hours off didn’t hurt either.

Bas drank deep from the travel mug he held. The coffee inside it the perfect temperature, he didn’t want to leave it unfinished.

“We have an emergency patient,” Hope said, after he drank three full sips.

“Emergency means nine-one-one calls,” Bas said, unwilling to deal with a trip out of the clinic. He liked a slow day at the clinic.

“Oh, it’s nothing like that,” Hope said. “You know I would have made that happen already. A scratched cornea happened due to a misplaced contact lens. Your patient is waiting in exam room two with someone who brought him down. I figured you would get to them first before we start on the other appointments.”

Bas nodded and placed his travel mug on his desk. He wiped his palm over his mouth and headed to the bathroom to freshen up and wear his doctor’s coat.

Five minutes later, he stopped outside the consultation room. Hope handed him their patient’s information on a tablet and he read it fast.

“It happened at a gym?” Bas asked, curious.

“Yes, the gym on the third level of the mall,” Hope said. “I know the owner from a club; we got together and gave him a card to our clinic for emergencies.”

Bas nodded and entered the consultation room to find two men. One sat on the consultation chair, his left eye red with distress and the other…

Liam Fenton.

The violent skip of his heart froze him in place. He had thought his heart dead to feelings. It squeezed tight, released and tightened again, making him hold his breath in shock.

Surprise on me, Bas thought.

How long had it been?

Six years, his pulsing heart reminded him, memories of his time at Kent State flooding him. How could he forget Liam Fenton, the swim team captain with the million-dollar smile?

Liam wore his dark hair long now, held back now in a short ponytail. He could not wear it long when he was swimming. He still kept fit. Bas noted with pleasure, the warm weather had Liam in a sleeveless t-shirt and shorts. It was hard to ignore Liam’s sculpted body, truly difficult.

Six years and he still remembered the weight of his yearning for this man. He should have known time apart would spare him no kindness. The longing had not gone away. Despite all Bas endured with his ex-husband, Troy, his heart still dared dream of the idea of Liam Fenton.

“Dr. Emmerson?”

Hope touched his arm to get his attention.

Bas jerked to attention and cleared his throat, forcing his gaze away from Liam if only to have a clear thought.

Why were they here again?

“Mr. Fenton has a scratched cornea,” Hope said, her tone friendly as she walked to the man with the red left eye.

Bas frowned, staring at the much shorter man in the consulting chair. If his patient was Mr. Fenton — Bas knew on good authority that Liam was gay — did that mean that his patient was Liam’s husband?

The thought made bile rise to his throat, a reaction to disappointment, or…jealousy. He could not define it. After all, six years was a long time. Liam was drop-dead gorgeous. It would be insane to imagine him staying single.

Bas was no Casanova and he had jumped into a relationship, going as far as marriage. Why should he expect Liam, who was certainly a player, to be single?

Stupid, you can’t be jealous of this…

Bas moved closer to where his patient sat, taking a good look at him. He was handsome too with a shock of styled bottle-blond hair, looked young…fresh college graduate young. Lean but not skinny, dressed to match Liam. Like a couple outfit: sleeveless t-shirt and shorts, and designer sneakers for the super cute husband. It looked like Liam’s husband spent a fortune on high-end clothes.

Okay, Bas took in air to calm down. It was not a crime to have great clothes. He was turning judgmental. An understandable observation under the circumstances, he was no saint after all.

Fuck, you’re a jealous prick, Bas.

“Dr. Emmerson, I heard you’re the best in this place,” the scared voice that filled the room pulled Bas out of his terrible, negative thoughts. “Is my eye going to be okay?”

Yes, he was a doctor, and no matter the situation, he had a scared patient before him.

Bas took in a deep breath, relying on years of training; he slipped into his doctor-patient mode.

“Don’t you worry, Mr. Fenton, your eye is going to be just fine,” Bas said, wearing gloves from the box Hope held out, he moved closer to look at his patient’s eye.

“Please call me Colin.”

Cute name, Bas thought.

Colin Fenton, how fitting. Liam and Colin Fenton, a fresh wave of jealousy had Bas shaking his head. He forced his brain out of that punishing space.

Hope moved around him and Colin to talk to Liam about registration forms.

Bas ignored Liam’s low voice and focused on Colin’s eye. In thirty minutes, he had Colin’s eye examined, soothed and treated. He wrote down a prescription, which he handed to Hope and then smiled at Colin.

“No contacts for the next two weeks,” Bas ordered. “Wear your glasses and don’t rub your eyes. The drops I’ve prescribed will help your eye feel better in no time. Okay?”

“Yes, Dr. Emmerson,” Colin said with a happy smile, looking relieved.

“May I ask how this accident happened?” Bas asked, his gaze straying to Liam who had sat in silence on the extra chair in the consultation room.

“I was in the gym upstairs,” Colin said. “I took a hit while boxing with a friend. I must have lost my left eye contact then. I didn’t feel it, and when I was going to take a shower, I scratched my eye trying to get the non-existent contact out. Liam said there was an eye place down here, so we came.”

“There’s no apparent damage to your eye, you got lucky,” Bas said, not sure what he had been expecting. “Try to be careful next time.”

“I will,” Colin said, getting up.

Colin held out his right hand to Bas. Bas shook it because it was the courteous thing to do. Then Colin started to head out, leaving Liam sitting on the chair.

“I’ll be right behind you,” Liam told Colin when he stopped at the door.

“Okay,” Colin flashed Bas a smile. “Thank you, Dr. Emmerson.”

Left alone with Liam, Bas busied himself with clearing up his workspace.

“Is there something I can help you with?” Bas asked, trying to keep his tone professional.

“Don’t you remember me, Bas?” Liam asked, his question enough to have Bas looking up in surprise. “We were at Kent State together. You helped manage the swim team. Don’t you remember?”

Bas swallowed hard.

“I remember,” Bas mumbled.

“Then why are you acting like you don’t know me?” Liam asked, smiling, his head tilted slightly to the right. He watched Bas with a keen gaze, a knowing gaze. “You still look the same. Same shock of dark hair, still cute as ever.”

“Don’t tease me,” Bas shook his head, refusing to believe he was cute for anything. “Your husband is waiting for you out there.”

“Husband?” Liam asked, eyes going wide, and then he chuckled.

God, the sound of that low chuckle traveled through his veins, making him hot and horny. Bas sat on the stool he used to look into his slit lamp. Liam’s chuckle was like an illegal drug.

“Are you talking about Colin?” Liam asked, resting his elbows on his knees, he leaned forward, studying Bas. “You think we’re married?”

“Aren’t you?” Bas asked, looking away from Liam to hide his jealousy. It was making a huge comeback, just boiling up like an unsightly infection.

“Colin is my younger brother,” Liam answered. “He’s happily dating his high school sweetheart. They’re desperately in love, and think they’ll get married as soon as Colin stops freaking out about finding the right job.”

Bas blushed hard. There was no way to hide the rise of color on his cheeks. He was an ugly blusher. Yes, that was totally a thing. He had misjudged Colin; gone all crazy in his head on a poor boy…jealousy was an ugly thing. He was not proud of it. He hated feeling petty.

Looking away from Liam, he took in a deep breath to calm his speeding heart. Why would his heart go on overdrive at this moment?

“I’m happy for Colin,” he said, hoping to end this strange encounter with his past. “He’s still waiting for you—”

“I’ve wondered about you, Bas,” Liam said, before he could complete his thoughts.

The words sounded foreign coming from Liam. They had lived on separate spectrums at college. Liam was the great swim captain, loved by all. Bas was the introvert who loved watching Liam swim. He ended up working as one of the team’s coordinators just to stay close and keep up with the team’s competition schedules.

He wanted to keep up with Liam’s competitions; Liam’s training time, Liam in general. Liam had noticed him too late, and that last non-date still stung.

Mostly, Bas remembered feeling tortured with angst over Liam.

“You disappeared on me my last year at Kent,” Liam said. “You vanished with no word. How could you leave like that?”

Bas frowned.

“Liam, you know I entered med school,” Bas said. “We had a goodbye thing at that last swim team meeting, you were...busy. Anyway, I doubt anyone missed me after I left, it’s not like I was swimming for the team.”

“I did,” Liam insisted. “You kept us all up to date, the team ran smoothly when you were there, and then you were gone.”

Liam shook his head.

“You left us all in a scramble. It was hard to find someone to replace you, Bas.”

Bas was surprised to hear accusation in Liam’s tone.

“That’s almost six years ago,” Bas said, with a frown. “It’s no longer relevant.”

“Of course it is. You and I had a date we never got to have. I remember asking for a raincheck,” Liam stated, and got up when Colin appeared at the door. “I have to go right now, but can we catch up later?”

“My schedule is packed today,” Bas said, floored. “I-I, uh, don’t know when I’ll be free. I haven’t checked my schedule.”

“It doesn’t have to be today,” Liam said, flashing him that gorgeous smile. “I’ll get your number from Hope and call you. It was good to see you again, Bas.”

“Thanks Dr. Emmerson,” Colin said, one last time then followed his brother.

Alone, Bas stared at the spot where Liam had sat and felt a spark of hope bloom.

*~*~*

Liam felt as though he had walked into the eye doctor’s office and won the lottery. How many years had he wondered about Bas Emmerson? Six, almost seven, he smiled and shook his head.

His college crush returned looking even more adorable as only time could manage.

“Was that the Bas?” Colin asked, adjusting the eyeglasses Bas insisted he wear for two weeks.

“Yes, that’s my Bas,” Liam said, looking back at the eye clinic. “He’s been so close and I didn’t even know.”

Colin chuckled.

“You should have asked him out.”

“I tried, but he’s busy today,” Liam said. “Now that I’ve found him again, he’s not getting away so easily.”

“Good luck, bro,” Colin said, and stopped when they reached the escalators and stairs leading to the upper level floors. “I gotta run to work.”

“Yeah, see you later.”

Liam waved at his little brother and watched him hurry to the parking lot.

Liam turned to give the eye clinic one last look. Fate was interesting. How many times had he wondered what happened to Bas? How many times had he wished he had shown up for their date? Bas was his missed opportunity, and he was not letting it slip away again.

Which was why he had made sure Hope gave him Bas’s number.

*~*~*

Bas didn’t get to leave his office until seven-thirty in the evening. Feeling rushed, he gripped his car keys too tight, and speed walked through the Belleview Mall heading to the parking lot.

His phone rang when he got outside, and Bas answered it on the second ring.

“I’m on the way, Bailey,” Bas said in greeting, knowing it was his older sister. He took off at a run to his car. “I got held up by a patient.”

“Were you being nice again?” Bailey asked with a small chuckle.

“I’m not nice, I’m sympathetic,” Bas said, getting into his car.

“You were being nice,” Bailey decided. “I’m on the road. I’ve left the tribe watching television with Dianne in charge. Hopefully you won’t find the house on fire by the time you get there.”

Bas grinned at her description.

“Are you very late for your shift?” Bas asked.

Bailey managed a nightclub that ran until six in the morning in the downtown area. Her job paid her good money. Enough to allow her to buy a house in his neighborhood and take all four of her kids to a private school.

Dianne was the oldest at thirteen years old and she was one hell of a cello player. She wanted to play professionally and that didn’t come cheap.

“Don’t worry, Bas. I’ll be on time,” Bailey said. “You know, you don’t have to babysit for me every night I’m working. I’m worried you’ll blame me for forcing you to live like a dad when you’re so young.”

“We’re three years apart, Bailey.”

“Eons apart if you ask me,” Bailey said. “Twenty-eight is a really great year to date around and find someone you might like to keep, Bas.”

“Not happening,” Bas said, thinking he was not very lucky.

His last relationship left him broken. Bas sighed. To him, the word broken summed up his physical and mental state when Troy finished with him. It shouldn’t have been so bad, but Bas had loved Troy with all that he was: everything he had, he gave to Troy and paid for it. His heart seized at the memory of that nightmare.

It had been a year since that relationship ended, and he was still afraid to look at any other man. Well, until Liam Fenton walked into his consultation room looking sexier than any man had a right to.

“Don’t think about the past,” Bailey’s voice filled the interior of his SUV, breaking his thoughts.

Bas bought the SUV so that he could fit all four of her kids and Bailey when they went on outings. It had felt like the perfect purchase at the time. It still did today. This car stood for his choice to remain untouched by outsiders, and only care for his family. A vow he needed to remember in case Liam called him and he could not say no.

“Are you listening to me?” Bailey broke his thoughts again.

“Hmm?” Bas asked, having missed what she said.

“I said I left meatloaf warming in the oven, and a salad in the fridge. I’ll see you tomorrow after you drop off the tribe at school,” Bailey said.

“I’m off tomorrow by the way,” Bas said. He had checked the schedule and was glad to see he had tomorrow off, which meant he was working the weekend. “I’m signed up to help out at the art center on Reed Street. I’ll be doing the afternoon class with the kids from Richmond Elementary. We’re playing with clay.”

Bailey laughed at his enthusiasm.

“I’ll try to come along just to watch. I’m at the nightclub now.”

“Have a good night, Bailey.”

“You too, Baby Bro.”

Bailey ended the call just as he turned into her driveway. He and Bailey were neighbors. He pulled up at Bailey’s garage, parking outside. Getting out of the car, he crossed the lawn to his house. Going to the backyard, he entered his house at the back, heading straight to his bedroom for a quick shower and change of clothes.

Fifteen minutes later, Bas walked across the lawn to Bailey’s house, carrying his laptop, and his mail. He entered Bailey’s house through the kitchen and was closing the sliding door when a small boy came racing at him.

“Uncle Bas!”

Bas placed his laptop on the kitchen counter and picked up the six-year-old boy.

“Axel!” Bas said, using the same amount of excitement his little nephew used. He squeezed the little boy and sat him on the counter. “What have you been up to?”

“Messing with Rachel,” Axel said. “She refused to watch Gulliver’s travels with me. Will you? Will you?”

Rachel was Bailey’s third daughter. She was eight years old, and had a strong will. Axel loved following her around but never got his way with Rachel.

“I will, as soon as I eat something,” Bas said, dropping a kiss on Axel’s forehead. “Sort through my mail for me, will you?”

“Okay, Uncle Bas,” Axel folded his legs on the counter and got busy going through the envelopes. The white ones were kept to the side. Axel placed the colorful ones with ads and coupons right in front of him. He liked the colors. He added the brown envelope to the white ones in a discard motion.

Bas smiled as he took a plate from the cupboard, got the potato salad from the fridge and cut a healthy piece of meatloaf from the oven. He turned the oven off, and got a beer from the fridge.

“All done?” he asked Axel, bringing his plate to the counter where Axel sat going through the colorful leaflets.

“All done,” Axel said, admiring them.

Bas sat on the high stool closest to his nephew and reached for the white and brown envelopes. There were two bills and a magazine subscription renewal. He threw that out, placed the bills near his laptop and picked up the brown envelope.

Bas took a bite of the meatloaf, and ripped the envelope open to find a single picture inside. He pulled it out and almost chocked on his meatloaf. He swallowed too fast, and had to get up to find a glass of water. When he could breathe right, Bas took a good look at the picture. It was of him, during his time with Troy. He was naked with Troy leaning over him on the bed. His hands were tied to the headboard, his eyes closed and not in pleasure.

Bas remembered the moment with rare clarity. Troy caught him by surprise that day while he slept. Troy tied him to the bed with his trouser belts. They had done it before, when their relationship was healthy and full of passion. On this day though, this particular moment, what came next pushed Bas to a lawyer seeking divorce. The humiliation he suffered under Troy that night was unforgettable; he still had whip marks on his back and his thighs to keep the memory alive. He tried not to think about it, but it was difficult.

“Uncle Bas?” Axel called him from his spot on the counter. “Are you looking at a picture? Can I see it too?”

Bas moved to the sink, rummaging through the cupboard above the sink for a lighter.

“No, baby, this is a bad picture,” Bas murmured, turning the picture to find a message scrawled on the back. It looked like Troy was boasting as usual.

‘I wonder what I saw in you. I’m returning this picture to you. It’s weird having naked pictures of the ex around. P/S – he’s sexier than you’ll ever be.’ Troy.’

Bas flicked the lighter on and set the picture aflame. He placed the burning picture in the dry sink and watched the paper turn black and then into ashes. His insides rolled with disgust and anger that someone else had seen him at his absolute worst. How many pictures had Troy taken? Were there copies? Who had Troy shown them to? It made him want to gag.

“Uncle Bas, did you make a fire in the sink?”

Bas fought back the tears that threatened to fall. He pushed the hurt deeper inside, swallowing the large lump lodged in his throat. He wished he had known better than to marry Troy Hansen. Shaking his head, he turned on the sink and splashed water on his face, washing away the pain and the picture’s ashes in the sink.

“I did,” Bas said, his voice sounding rough to him. “I destroyed the bad picture.”

Bas switched off the water and grabbed a paper napkin to dry his face. He turned to find Axel watching him, his hands ripping the coupon papers to pieces. He looked so cute in his pajama pants and Mickey Mouse t-shirt.

“Can I keep these pictures?” Axel asked, holding up the pieces of paper he held, his smile wide.

Bas shrugged off the horror that was his ex-husband and smiled at the picture of innocence. He returned to his seat near Axel, and leaned to kiss Axel on the cheek.

“Sure, go ahead and keep them for now, even though your mom will make you throw them in the trash in the morning.”

“Are we still watching Gulliver?” Axel asked, his gaze expectant.

Bas took a small bite of his meatloaf. He smiled when Axel reached out to rub his palm on Bas’s jaw. Bas chose to focus his attention on the pure magic that was hanging out with Axel, so he answered.

“Sure, why not?” Bas grinned.

He could watch Gulliver’s Travels for the thousandth time.

*~*~*~*

Liam parked his car at the art center on Tuesday afternoon, and got out to get the box of supplies he had promised to drop off. He was off from the gym for the afternoon. The art center was his second focus.

On a whim, he and a few of his closest friends started a club called Partum Club. When they were in college it was about hanging out and throwing parties. Now that they were older, the club had grown into a more goal-oriented focus. The art center was one of their strongest projects, meant to support art and music in the city.

The club members were all business owners. They contributed enough to help run the art center’s programs and made sure to keep the center stocked with supplies to ensure the different art projects worked out.

Liam loved that they had created a fun place for kids to hang out, play with paint, clay, wood, or music instruments, whatever creative medium they wanted to explore. The director kept the programs interesting and even included students from schools in the area. He was proud of the progress.

Liam picked up the box of supplies and locked his car. He entered the art center and waved hello to the receptionist. She looked surprised to see him as he usually came in during the evening sessions from five to seven-thirty. He waved back at the receptionist with enthusiasm and pointed in the direction of the classes. Today was special. The art center was struggling with art and craft suppliers. The director had asked him to find a reliable one with a flexible ordering system.

Mrs. Bowden, the teacher in charge of the afternoon program met him in the hallway.

“I’m so glad to see you,” she said in greeting, opening the door to the closest classroom for him. “Our students are here, and they are waiting for those supplies.”

“I’m sorry I’m late. I found a new art store and I got late making sure the rest of the orders showed up on time this week. I brought this box to use for the afternoon,” Liam explained taking the box to the table. “We’ve made arrangements with the art store so that they will be making deliveries here every week. I gave them the lists you created.”

“Oh that’s a relief,” Mrs. Bowden said, waiting for him to open the box. They worked together to place the supplies he had gotten on the table. “We have a few volunteers from the businesses at Bellevue. There’s a cute eye doctor you can chat up. He comes in during the afternoons, you two never get to meet. I always thought if you made it here, I’d get you two to meet.”

Liam chuckled at Mrs. Bowden’s continuous attempts to hook him up. She thought he was lonely. She wasn’t wrong. He had not dated in over two years. Sure, he had hook-ups or two-week flings, all designed to fulfill physical urges. He had not had a serious relationship in two years. He wanted one.

Mrs. Bowden patted his shoulder.

“Trust me,” she said, and winked. “They are waiting for these.”

She handed him a stack of clay packets and pushed him in the direction of a long table with ten kids from second grade seated with plastic clay tools. He stopped when he saw Bas Emmerson walking around the table heading to him.

Bas held out his hands for the clay packets and Liam felt a wide smile curve his lips.

Mrs. Bowden had great intuition.

“Bas,” Liam said in greeting, pleasure in his voice.

“Liam,” Bas said, nodding his head to the clay packets. “Are you giving those up?”

Liam grinned and handed five of the packets to Bas.

“I’ll help at this table,” Liam decided, as Bas walked away from him.

“No need,” Bas started, hoping to chase him away.

Liam was not having it. This was the second time they were meeting this week. Luck was on his side.

“Oh, believe me you’ll need all the help you can get,” Liam said, ignoring Bas’s protests, he introduced himself to the kids and started sharing out his clay packets.

That afternoon was the most interesting he ever had at the art center. He watched Bas, who was patient and gentle with the kids. They were making a colorful clay pizza. Liam joked with his batch of students as they rolled the clay pizza dough, baked it, cooked it and then colored it. The class was interactive, and Liam even had the kids marking his face with the colors from their glittery puff paint.

Liam stole a glance at Bas who was busy painting his pizza with orange colors.

“Do you think Mr. Bas thinks I’m handsome?” Liam asked the little girl who had decided she should help him hold his hair back into a ponytail with her hair tie.

“He might,” she said, after she finished holding his hair in six or seven bunches. “Especially now, should I ask him?”

“Yes, lets,” Liam said, hiding a laugh.

“Mr. Bas, do you think Mr. Liam is handsome?” his little helper asked with enthusiasm.

Bas looked up from his task and gaped when he saw Liam. It took great effort for him not to laugh. Watching him hold back that laugh was the cutest thing Liam had ever seen. Liam winked at him, and Bas broke, laughing so loud that it tickled the rest of the students at their table.

“He’s laughing, Mr. Liam,” the little girl said, sitting down next to Liam with satisfaction. “I think he likes you since he’s so happy.”

“Me too,” Liam said, keeping his tone very serious, even as Bas laughed harder. “Bas, I’m going to take your laugh as a compliment.”

“You do look very different. I think you should take up that colorful look,” Bas said, when he could talk again, wiping tears away.

He was so beautiful, Liam wanted to walk over and kiss him. Class ended an hour later, in that time, Liam gained even more paint marks on his face. His face looked like he had a collage of glitter paint. Their students left with their painted pizzas, chattering in excitement. Mrs. Bowman left Bas and Liam in charge of cleaning up as she went out to make sure the kids found their rides home.

“Sit down,” Bas said, when they had the room cleared.

He held several wet napkins, and looked at Liam expectantly. Liam sank into the chair Bas indicated and looked up at the man he had dreamed of more times than he dared admit.

Bas bit his bottom lip studying Liam’s face.

“It’s almost a shame to wash this off. It looks like war paint on you.”

“Is that a compliment?” Liam asked, studying Bas too.

“An almost compliment,” Bas said, with a small smile. He met Liam’s gaze for a minute, before he breathed in and got to work cleaning the paint off. “I didn’t expect to see you here today.”

“I come here all the time,” Liam said, closing his eyes when Bas cleaned his eyebrows.

Bas had to lean into him to get both sides, and his clean scent filled Liam’s nostrils. Bringing his hand up, he wrapped it around Bas’s waist and shifted on the chair so that Bas was standing between his legs. He opened his eyes to find Bas staring at him.

“Isn’t this better?” Liam asked, keeping his arms around Bas. “You smell good.”

Bas let out air and continued working.

“You’re a flirt, Liam Fenton.”

“I never said I wasn’t one,” Liam said, enjoying how close Bas was to him. “Do you think you can drop that wall you have up long enough for a date?”

“Will you make it?” Bas asked, his tone tinged with…

Liam thought it sounded a lot like doubt. He deserved the doubt. He had not forgotten that failed date either. He wanted another chance with Bas.

“We can use your car,” Liam said, smiling at Bas when he scrubbed his jaw a tad too hard. “I kind of like my face, Bas. Can we keep it looking the same?”

Bas glared at him and concentrated on wiping Liam’s ear. When he was done with cleaning, he sunk his fingers into Liam’s hair.

Liam closed his eyes enjoying the feel of Bas’s fingers in his hair.

Bas removed the hair ties until he got all six of them. He started to step back but Liam held him in place.

“You haven’t given me an answer,” Liam insisted, wanting to get to know Bas more.

Bas hesitated, his gaze on the hair ties on his left wrist and the dirty napkins in his right hand. Liam, worried Bas would refuse, tightened his arm around Bas’s waist.

“You have to eat dinner tonight, right?” Liam reasoned. “I’m just asking you to eat with me.”

Bas’s fingers tightened around the dirty napkin and he met Liam’s gaze.

“Does that line work for you?” Bas asked, a small smile curving his lips.

“I guess we’re about to find out,” Liam said, chuckling a bit.

Bas sighed, and moved out of Liam’s embrace. Liam let him go without a struggle, mourning the separation. He was drawn to Bas like nothing else.

“Yeah, sure,” Bas said, throwing the napkins in the trashcan. “I’m starving. You’re buying.”

Liam pumped his hands up in a sign of victory, keeping his shout silent. He dropped his arms when Bas turned to look at him.

“We’re taking my car,” Bas insisted.

“Anything you say,” Liam said, getting up.

“You should rinse your face though,” Bas said.

*~*~*

When Liam left, Bas let out a nervous sigh and shook his head. What was he thinking?

His phone buzzed and he answered without checking the caller ID.

“You let me sleep in,” Bailey complained. “I was going to come with you to the art center.”

“You were tired,” Bas said, putting away the napkin roll. “Anyway, it’s over for now. When are you leaving tonight?”

“Around eight o’clock,” Bailey said with a small yawn. “Why?”

“Um,” Bas glanced at the open classroom door. “Well, I met Liam Fenton at the art center. He wants to eat dinner together—”

“Don’t you dare come home,” Bailey cut him off. “I’ll call Gracie from next door. She was asking for baby-sitting hours. You’re not allowed in my house tonight.”

Bailey ended the call before he could say more, and Bas stood in the middle of the room staring at his phone. His older sister had disowned him at the mention of a date, or was it the name Liam, he could not tell which part.

“Ready?” Liam asked at the door.

Bas looked up from his phone, heart skipping at the sight of Liam looking gorgeous, his hair damp from his stint in the bathroom. No one said no to that smile, he decided.

“Yeah,” Bas said, with a small nod.

“Great, then let’s go, Bas.”

*~*~*

Bailey shouldn’t have been worried, Bas thought three weeks later. No passionate embraces had ignited on his dates with Liam. Yes, there had been several dates since that day at the art center. They ate dinner in restaurants around the city when they were both off work. Liam popped in during lunch hour at the clinic. He dragged Bas to the food court where they had lunch together. It was great fun. Liam had always been entertaining. He left Bas feeling great, and made the next day seem like an adventure waiting to happen.

Liam had taken to calling him and talking for hours after they went home. Thanks to Bailey giving baby-sitting duties to Gracie, Bas now slept at his own house more often. He left his phone on speaker as he moved around his house. Liam talked about everything and nothing. Bas smiled thinking about Liam discussing the merits of buying a fresh pineapple or a canned pineapple. What an idiotic topic, but it had sounded so interesting last night. All because Bas mentioned having bought canned pineapples that evening.

“Whatever you’re thinking about must be good,” Hope said, pulling him out of his thoughts.

Once again, she had caught him dreaming in the middle of the hallway, a few steps away from the clinic.

“Morning,” Hope smiled at him. “You look happy, Dr. Emmerson.”

Bas returned her smile, genuinely happy. It was the first time in ages he had felt so…full of excitement.

“Hi, Hope,” Bas said, entering the clinic after her. “How is the appointment book?”

“Busy as usual, but you have a guest.”

“I do?” Bas wondered if Liam had decided to visit him. He did that some days, just to surprise Bas.

“Yes,” Hope said, picking up a tablet from the receptionist desk. She handed it to Bas. “These are your appointments this morning. Let me know when you’re ready to see them.”

“Thanks, Hope.

Bas entered his office reading the list of patients. He looked up and stopped when he saw Colin Fenton sitting in his guest chair. Placing the tablet on his desk, he frowned.

“Colin! Is your eye okay? It should have gotten better. Does it hurt?”

Colin grinned, standing to greet Bas. Bas shook his hand and urged him to sit. He leaned on the desk, looking at Colin’s left eye through the glasses he still wore.

“All is well,” Colin assured him. “I wanted to talk to you. I know you’re busy, but can I get a moment of your time?”

Bas settled in the chair next to Colin.

“Sure, what’s up?”

“Well, it’s about my brother,” Colin said.

“Oh,” Bas frowned. “Is something wrong with Liam?”

“He’s good,” Colin said, with a little grimace. “He doesn’t know I’m here.”

“Okay,” Bas said, wondering what had Colin so worried.

“Liam has talked about you so much since college, I feel like I know you,” Colin said, jumping into it. “I’ve always felt responsible for that date he missed six years ago. It was my fault, and I wanted you to know that.”

“How could it be your fault?” Bas asked, shaking his head.

“It really was my fault. I showed up at the pool that day wanting him to go home so that he could help solve an issue with our parents. I spent too long talking to him, it annoyed his coach and Liam could not leave on time. So, you see, I’m at fault for making him miss your date.”

Bas stared at Colin.

“I’m really sorry that he didn’t make it that day when he wanted to,” Colin said, shaking his head. “It was something he thought about for a long time. It’s something he thinks about even now. I was glad when we ran into you. I was hoping you would forgive him and give him a chance.”

Bas chuckled and reached out to mess up the top of Colin’s hair. Colin ducked his head away much as a little brother would. His worried frown was cute.

Bas sat back, amused by the situation.

“Thank you for telling me, Colin. It’s good to know what happened, but why don’t you let us sort it out the rest slowly. You are not to blame for anything that day, okay.”

“I just wanted to make sure you knew what happened,” Colin said. “It was important to me.”

Bas smiled and thanked Colin again. He spent a few more minutes reassuring Colin. Colin left looking happier, and Bas felt lighter over his missed date with Liam. He had not known it weighed on him but knowing what happened helped a lot.

Now, if he could figure out exactly how Liam felt about him.

*~*~*

 

3 - Timing

Once again, Bas left work late that day. He had taken on a patient scheduled for Dr. Reilly, the other doctor working with him. She had to pick up her daughter from school so Bas covered for her.

Liam called Bas when he stepped out of the clinic.

“Where are you?”

“Just leaving work,” Bas said, smiling because it felt good to talk to Liam after a long day. “You?”

“I’m coming into the mall from a training session with a client,” Liam said. “I’m starving. Are you starving? Wanna eat with me?”

Bas chuckled and adjusted his phone as he walked around a couple strolling in the mall. He looked up at a jewelry shop, and caught a glimpse of Troy. He was not prepared for the fear that jack-knifed through his stomach, almost paralyzing him. Years of defending himself kicked in and he took off in a run, forgetting he was on the phone with Liam. He ran to the exit intent on getting as far as possible, hoping Troy had not seen him. He pushed the exit doors too hard, and hurried out into the warm evening, looking back to see if Troy noticed him. The distraction had him running straight into a hard chest and strong arms that wrapped tight around him.

“Whoa,” Liam’s gentle voice said, holding him fast. “Where’s the fire?”

Bas gasped, the urge to cling to Liam’s strength so large, it took him a minute to move at all. When he did look up it was to find Liam studying him with worry. His face must have been filled with panic because the smile on Liam’s lips disappeared.

“What’s wrong?” Liam asked, looking behind Bas and into the mall. “Is someone chasing you? Were you robbed? Is there trouble at home? Your sister—?”

“No, my sister is fine,” Bas said, though he sounded unsure even to his ears. “I’m sorry for running into you like this…I-I have to go.”

He looked back, terrified of seeing Troy. It was Troy he had seen, he was sure of it.

“Bas,” Liam gripped his shoulders and shook him a bit. “Hey, hey, Bas, breathe.”

Bas closed his eyes and took in air, he let it out slow, and on the second intake, he froze when he saw Troy standing on his right.

“I thought that was you, little midget. You ran away so fast, I almost doubted myself,” Troy said, his tone full of amusement. The ugly kind of amusement that meant he was going to be as nasty as possible. “It’s good to know you’re still thinking of me.”

Bas tensed, his mouth frozen, no words formed no matter how much he tried to speak.

“What’s this?” Troy took in Liam, his gaze disparaging. “You found a new boyfriend. Some new idiot to fool. Should I tell him what a bore you are in bed?”

Bas closed his eyes mortified by the whole scene. Liam squeezed his shoulders and shifted making Bas open his eyes. Liam stood blocking Troy’s view of him.

Troy and Liam made quite a contrast standing face to face.

Troy was tall and worked out for leisure. He preferred dress suits because he was a banker. He loved the slick finish and the prestige that came with dressing up. However, compared to Liam, he looked the height of an angry teddy bear.

Liam spent his days training to train others. The years of exercise had sculpted his body to perfection. He was intimidating even dressed down in a t-shirt and khaki shorts. Liam crossed his arms against his chest and glared at Troy.

“Who are you to talk to Bas like that?” Liam asked, his tone dripping with menace. It made Troy pause.

“I’m that idiot’s ex-husband,” Troy sneered after a minute. “I’m telling you right now that he’s a waste of time—”

Liam stepped into Troy’s space, growling a warning, and Bas gaped when Troy jumped away, his gaze full of fear.

“You will never talk about Bas with that tone,” Liam said. “Whatever he was to you, he’s not anymore. I had better not see your ass around here again. I won’t be so nice next time.”

“Get out of my face,” Troy said, his voice wavering.

“Or what?” Liam asked, dropping his arms to his sides, they were curled into fists, ready to punch Troy.

Troy looked away from Liam, his gaze shifting to Bas.

God help him, but that awful gaze still made him shiver. He had hoped he was over it, but this man had almost killed him with a belt.

“Don’t go running to report this encounter,” Troy said, his tone accusing. “It was pure coincidence. I didn’t know you were around here.”

Bas shrugged. For a flash second, he thought about quitting the clinic to escape meeting Troy again. Liam shifted again to block Troy’s view of him, he stared at Liam’s capable shoulders and thoughts of quitting disappeared in a second.

Troy left in a hurry after that, glaring at Liam even as he broke into a run heading to the parking lot. When he was gone, Liam turned to Bas.

“Are you okay?” Liam asked.

Bas nodded, relieved now that Troy was gone.

“He’s a piece of work,” Liam said, looking in the direction Troy had disappeared.

Bas clutched his car keys tight. He started to walk around Liam only to have Liam stop him with a hand on his left shoulder.

“You look upset.” Liam stated when Bas looked at him. “If you must go, I’ll drive you home.”

“No,” Bas shook his head. “I’ll make it. I’m fine—”

“Bas,” Liam cut him off with a soft sigh. He studied Bas for a second.

Liam then took Bas’s left hand and with firm determination, he led Bas back into the mall.

“You need a few minutes to calm down before you drive. I would hate to hear you got into an accident over that fool.”

Liam gave Bas no choice but to follow him.

Liam held on to his arm and dragged him to the Italian restaurant they had discovered tucked in at the corner of the food court. The food was great, and their tables were perfect for private conversation.

“Strong coffee,” Liam ordered for Bas when they settled and their waiter arrived. “Apple juice for me, and then we will order food.”

When they were alone, Liam studied Bas, his gaze enough to make Bas nervous. It was absurd, but he had wanted to hide the dirty secret that was Troy from Liam. Now, Liam had met Troy in all his awfulness. It was impossible to hide his past.

Bas could see that Liam wanted to know.

“I don’t like talking about him,” Bas said, when Liam kept looking at him.

“Then we’ll sit here, eat pizza or spaghetti, until you feel comfortable enough to tell me,” Liam said, picking up the menu. He scanned the menu. “I feel like lasagna actually.”

Bas picked up his menu for something to do. He stole a glance at Liam over the top of his menu. Liam concentrated on choosing food, and ignored Bas’s nervous glances. The next thirty minutes were spent eating and discussing everything but Troy.

Liam was patient about it.

Bas sipped his second cup of coffee, as the wait staff cleared their plates away. Liam gave him an expectant glance and he sighed.

“I’ve been thinking and the only thing that would put such fear in your eyes is that he hit you, didn’t he?” Liam hissed, making Bas sit up in his seat. “I should have punched him.”

“No, don’t get involved with Troy. He’s not worth it,” Bas said.

“Then will you tell me about him?” Liam asked, his gaze pleading.

Bas turned his cup around twice. He was glad their table was secluded, his story was not pleasant, but it was interesting that it poured out of him without a problem, for Liam.

“I met him at my first job, three years ago. He was charming and made me laugh. I liked him a lot,” Bas confessed, feeling self-conscious. “I thought our romance would work out because we were both busy. He’s a banker and my hours at the clinic I worked were insane. We hooked up at first, keeping it casual. Then we got closer, and I thought I was in love.”

Bas had also never forgotten Liam, so he compared every man he met to Liam. He had thought he was being too fussy with Troy, so he decided not to be critical.

“I was wrong,” Bas said, staring into his coffee. “We got married too soon. I discovered I knew nothing about Troy through that experience. I tried to make it work and he took advantage of that. He—”

Bas broke off unable to voice the next part. Troy beat him raw with a belt then when he was in tears crying and bleeding, Troy raped him. It was not something he could share with Liam in a restaurant at dinner. It was something he might never share with Liam, ever.

“He hurt you,” Liam stated, his voice full of pain.

Bas shook his head.

“I was the stupid one to have stayed in that situation.”

Liam cursed and reached for Bas’s right hand. He held it tight, and closed his eyes as though steadying himself. When he looked at Bas next, Liam spoke his heart.

“I’m sorry I came too late,” Liam said. “I’m not saying you’ll forget all that pain now that I’m here, but I can promise to help you create better memories, Bas. Do you believe me?”

“I want to,” Bas said, tangling his fingers with Liam’s, it felt good to let a bit of what he was feeling out. It felt safe. “Thank you for coming to my rescue today.”

Liam sighed.

“It hurts to hear you thank me,” Liam said. “You’ve been keeping me at arm’s length these past weeks. Is this why? Were you afraid of telling me about Troy?”

Bas nodded. It wasn’t fear, now that he thought about it, but shame.

Liam got up and moved his chair next to Bas. Their spot had a screen protecting them from the rest of the dining room. Liam took advantage of their privacy, pulling Bas into a soft kiss; a soft brush of his lips against Bas’s parted ones.

He pulled back and held Bas’s gaze.

“Let’s clear some issues between us,” Liam murmured. “First, I was ecstatic to meet you again, Bas. I’ve always regretted not making it to our date. When I saw you again, I wanted to remind you of that raincheck we made. I wanted you to give me another chance.”

Bas’s heartbeat skipped a thousand miles when Liam leaned in and gave him a firmer kiss, this one more full, more demanding. It woke a fire inside him, desire he thought he had lost with the whip marks on his back rose. His breath trembled as he met Liam’s heated gaze.

“Troy had no idea what he had,” Liam murmured, melting Bas’s heart. “He’s an idiot and an asshole, and if I run into him again, I’ll let him have it for hurting you.”

Bas smiled at the very Liam promise. The last kiss Liam gave him healed his heartbreak. It was sweet, full of comfort, and when it ended, Liam pulled him into his arms in a warm hug.

“In case you haven’t noticed,” Liam said. “I really like you. I want to date you and have a relationship with you. Will you give me a chance, Bas?”

Bas closed his eyes and held on to Liam. He breathed him in, allowing his warmth to seep into him, heal some of the hurt Troy had left. He certainly felt safe and strong enough to resist the urge to run again.

Pressing a kiss on Liam’s shoulder, he sighed.

“Only if you’ll give me a chance, Liam,” Bas said, sure that it would take him some time to give his heart fully to another person.

Perhaps he had no idea what loving someone meant, but he thought it would be okay to try it again with Liam.

Liam held him tighter, and did not let go until their waiter returned to bring their bill.

*~*~*

Fireworks filled the night sky over Lake Erie. It was the Fourth of July and the night was full of festivities. Liam carried a cold bottle of beer to a lounge chair by the beach. His brother Colin and his girlfriend sat on a blanket whispering to each other. Bailey, Bas’s sister and Hope were sorting out the food in the coolers after a massive dinner. Bailey’s kids were running around on the beach with Hope’s trio. They looked super excited to watch the fireworks.

Liam sank into the empty space next to the lounge chair and pressed the cool bottle on Bas’s bare shoulder. His lover sat up with a gasp, the light from the bonfire dancing on his face. Liam reached up and rubbed the little scowl on Bas’s forehead with his thumb.

“Do you love the show?” Liam asked, when Bas took the beer bottle from him.

“It’s beautiful,” Bas murmured, shifting so that he could rest his head on Liam’s shoulder. “Thank you for bringing us all together like this. It’s really special.”

“Anything for you,” Liam said, pressing a kiss on Bas’s forehead.

They had been together for two months now. Liam took Bas’s free hand, squeezing it tight. They had good days, and hard ones, as lovers often do. The good days left him breathless, the hard ones left him near frustration. He loved it most though when they made up after a harsh fight. There was nothing like a contrite Bas. He offered to make dinner, and even clean Liam’s apartment. It was cute as fuck.

“Bas,” Liam murmured as the fireworks approached a finale.

“Hm?”

“Have dinner with me every day forever,” Liam said, turning his head to kiss Bas’s forehead. “No rainchecks allowed.”

Bas chuckled and agreed by lifting his head to kiss Liam on the lips. Their timing was finally right.

*~*~*

Fin

Thank you for reading! ^_^
Copyright © 2019 lilansui; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 34
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2019 - Fall - Raincheck Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

9 hours ago, andrew35 said:

THANK YOU!! I love it. I love your stories

Thank you too!!

 

6 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

A lovely story. I smiled all the way through.

Perfect, exactly as I hoped. :) 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Nothing like the nice guy not finishing last. I was happy to see Bas get his happy ever after. Just wish Troy got what was coming to him. Loved how Colin looks out for Liam. They are really sweet brothers. Beautiful story.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Outstanding story! This was a truly enjoyable short story with dynamic characters and lots of emotional moments. You are always so talented at having us feel and experience every nuance of the characters emotions and the dramatic moments of their lives. Thank you for another wonderful story. 😡❤️

  • Love 3
Link to comment

When you find yourself grinning uncontrollably by the story’s end, you know it was a good one. Thank you for this! 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

A lovely story. But I would also love a Christmas story about the people from “The Morgan Lore”, my favourite story of this year.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

An enjoyable story to read. Bas almost messed things up by jumping to conclusions. It made me laugh when he said Colin was his brother.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

No mistake that the story begins in July and ends in July, as we come full circle. A lovely, leisurely-paced romance that took its time because it had too, with Bas having to heal enough to accept what Liam is offering. As for Troy:  Bas' first glimpse of Troy at the mall is coincidental and may not have been reportable, but Troy's chasing Bas to confront him in Liam's presence is certainly reportable, and I can hope that the court threw the book at him.  

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I'm glad Liam finally made up for ignoring Bas for two years and standing him up on their first date. He only realized what he had lost when Bas left, but at least he didn't waste any time when he got a second chance. I loved to see him chase Troy off, and it was good for Bas to see his bastard of an ex being afraid. I'm not surprised he was reluctant to tell Liam about his past, but I'm proud of him for doing so and moving on. I know they'll be happy together.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Thank you for this wonderful story. I had a very pleasant morning reading this with a cup of tea and a cookie.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..