Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 5,578 Words
  • 1,434 Views
  • 51 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Charlie and Michael Baxter lost their father at a young age. They have been brought up by a hard-working mother who loved and treasured her boys. Unfortunately, she passed away before they finished college and through no fault of their own, they found themselves homeless. This is their story.

What Happened To The Baxter Boys - 11. Chapter 11

Stacy woke up full of energy and already making plans in his mind. Being someone who always liked to be organised, he listed everything in order of priority. First on the list, was organising a family outing to the Fallowfield Fireworks display at Platt Fields Park. He didn't have much time as it was the next day.

Max was eating breakfast while Stacy prepared his packed lunch. “Max, honey. Do you remember when we promised to take the boys to the fireworks display this year?”

“Yes, I do. When is...oh shit! That's this weekend, isn't it? Max looked up at Stacy.

“Yes, and that reaction tells me I'm not the only one who forgot.” Stacy felt slightly relieved at Max's reply. “The boys seem to have forgotten too, but I don't want to let them down. I was thinking...”

“Uh oh, this sounds dangerous. Should I be worried?” Max laughed.

“Stop that you or you know what I'll do.”

“It's not what you will do that bothers me. It's what you won't do.” Max changed tactics quickly, getting a pointed glare from his mate. “Okay, I'll be good. I don't want my nookie to be rationed.” Max looked at Stacy with a sultry look in his eyes.

Stacy was used to Max and his early morning teasing. “Good, now shut up and be supportive or no sex till after the New Year for you.”

Leering, Max waggled his eyebrows at Stacy. “Really? You can hold out for that long?” Max loves his husband and the sex they have, so he took on a serious tone this time. “Okay, what are you thinking?”

“Well, getting the boys on board will be easy, including Liam. I only need to remind them. I want Charlie and Michael to come too, but I sense problems getting them on board with it. Have you any helpful ideas?”

Max thought for a moment, “Yeah, it's easy. Don't try. Let the boys do it. Adults pushing always gets kids to dig their heels in, but when it's peer pressure, it's harder to resist.”

Stacy liked the idea. “But what about inviting Brad?”

Max's grin couldn't have been bigger. “Just invite him, but tell him he has to help convince Charlie and Michael. Trust me, if you invite Brad, you invite an ally, so stop worrying.”

“I hope it will be as easy as you make it sound.” Stacy sighed.

“It will be, and if Harry hears about it, he will put his foot behind them, so they will have to go.” Having finished breakfast, Max stood and kissed Stacy. “Now, I have to be off to work. You sort out the details and let me know later. I'll fit in with whatever you arrange and decide.”

“Okay, will do. I'll call you if I have any problems and fill you in when you get home from work.” Stacy kissed Max goodbye and started clearing the table, ready for Jason to get up as Max left for work.

Danny arrived as Max opened the front door and walked straight to the kitchen. “Jason still in bed?”

“What do you think?” Stacy started making Jason's breakfast and added extra for Danny. “Go and wake him up. Be quick, I need to speak to both of you.”

Not sure if they had done something wrong, Danny hurried. His golden rule with Stacy was when in doubt, don’t upset Stacy, just do it. Within minutes, both boys were sat at the kitchen table. Their fears were soon put to rest when Stacy reminded them about the fireworks display and their excitement took over.

Jason and Danny relished the idea of convincing Charlie and Michael to go with them, and the three began plotting together. Danny suggested that Brad should be included. Danny was jumping with excitement when Stacy told them he intended to visit Brad at work to speak to him. When Jason offered to speak to Brad, Stacy decided to leave it to Jason. Silently, Stacy snickered, knowing Max had it right. The boys would do all the work for him.

 

Charlie's arm reached out to silence the alarm and turn on the bedside light in the darkened room. Sitting up in bed, Charlie was surprised to see Michael already awake. “Hey, are you okay?”

“Yeah,” Michael sighed.

“You sure? You don't sound it to me.” Charlie queried.

“Yeah, well, I'm nervous as hell about this interview. What do I do? What do I say? And what do I wear?” Nervous excitement was getting the better of Michael.

“Jeez, Michael. You're so wound up it's unreal. You need to calm down. Let me get ready for work, then I'll talk with you about it. For now, just get dressed and go make a pot of tea. That will keep you occupied for a few minutes.” With that, Charlie went to use the bathroom.

When Charlie entered the kitchen, Michael had a mug of tea and a bowl of hot porridge topped with syrup waiting for him. Harry was already sitting at the kitchen table enjoying breakfast.

“Cheers, Mikey. I appreciate this.” Charlie mixed the syrup into his porridge and cautiously took a spoonful to check the temperature. “This is good. But you still need to wind down some.”

“That's what I keep telling him, but he's too nervous to listen. Maybe if he took Missy for a walk, that would help calm him down.” Harry suggested.

Charlie sighed. “Okay, we need to get you to calm down. What was you asking me upstairs?”

“I don't know what to wear, what to do or what to say. I'll probably be a gibbering wreck and not get the job.” Michael slumped in his chair.

“First things first, what to wear. You're applying for a clean job, not a dirty one like me, so dress up a bit. Wear the smart trousers and long-sleeved shirt I got you and that posh coat, you know, the French one and remember to wear the smart black shoes. Trainers will ruin the look. Yeah, that sounds good to me. What do you think, Gramps?” Charlie hoped Harry would agree with him.

“Sounds sensible to me, but what posh coat is it? I'd like to see what a posh French coat looks like.” Harry smiled, trying to lift the mood.

“As for what to do, I dunno really, except look smart, be on time, be yourself and be honest. That's what I did, and it got me the job.” Charlie finished his breakfast. “Sorry, I can't be more help. I need to get to work. But maybe take Missy for a walk and have a hot bath to help you relax. It won't do any harm. Listen to what Gramps has to say. He will know more than me.” With that, Charlie placed his dirty crockery in the sink and left for work.

“You know, Charlie has some good points there. Above all else, be honest and tell the truth. If you get caught out telling a lie it will do a lot of harm and may cost you any chance of getting the job. Tuck into some breakfast. You made enough. Then take Missy for a walk and have that bath.” Harry smiled at Michael and ruffled his hair in a fatherly way.

A long walk with Missy, followed by a hot soak, did the trick. Although Michael was still nervous, he did feel calmer. After dressing in the clothes Charlie picked, he stood in front of the mirror and styled his hair as the hairdresser had shown him. He liked the look. A lot. Even though he had to pull his belt tighter by another notch, the trousers looked smart. Wearing the navy blue Louis Feraud peacoat that Charlie suggested, Michael almost didn't recognise himself. He was still a little underweight but had never looked this good. Holding his breath, Michael stepped into the living room, hoping Gramps would approve.

Harry looked at Michael approvingly and wolf-whistled. “Very handsome and very smart. You, young man, will turn heads.” Harry handed Michael two small packages, “I should have thought of this the first time we went to Chorlton. Go on, take them. I think they will complete the look of a good-looking, successful young man.”

Michael opened the packages. In one, a pair of black leather gloves, in the other, a grey French Connection Angora wool scarf. “Gramps, where did you get these?”

“I've had them for a while, they are gifts that I've never needed to use. I've already got gloves and scarves, so they have just been in a drawer. Don't worry, I have enough to sink a battleship, so I can give some to Charlie as well, and still have more than I need,” Harry chuckled.

“Thanks, Gramps,” Michael spoke softly as he stroked the super soft scarf before putting it around his neck and then putting on the warm gloves.

“Come on, the taxi is here.” Harry led the way out and locked up the house before they got in the waiting car.


Michael stepped into the shop, and a small bell rang above the door. In his mind, he quickly ran through the advice Harry had given him before going for coffee and a cake in the cafe, “Imagine you are stepping on the stage to give a performance. Be confident, but remember to be honest and truthful. And don't forget to ask the questions I suggested. You are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. If you don't like them or the job, you do not have to take it.”

“Good morning. How can I help you?” A young boy asked. He was about fifteen with smooth olive-coloured skin and spoke perfect English with a slight accent.

“Good morning. I have an eleven o'clock interview with Mr Ian and Mr Kevin. My name is Michael Baxter.” Michael's nerves had him shaking inside, but it did not show in his voice or his hand as he shook the offered, outstretched hand in front of him.

“Good morning Michael. I am Benjamin. We spoke yesterday on the telephone. Please come in. As you can see, we are still working on the shop before we open it. Unfortunately, that means I have no seat to offer you. Do you have your curriculum vitae?” Michael handed his CV to Benjamin. “Thank you. I will let Mr Ian and Mr Kevin know you are here. They will not keep you waiting very long.”

Benjamin went through to the back of the shop, taking Michael's CV with him. After a few minutes of muffled conversation that Michael could not understand, Benjamin returned with another boy following him. Benjamin introduced the other boy to Michael as his younger brother, Joseph. They were friendly and engaged Michael in conversation while he waited. He learned that Mr Ian and Mr Kevin were the legal guardians of both boys and that they were excited to be starting school at Manchester Grammar School in the New Year.

After a few minutes, a tall man with dark blond hair opened the door to the rear of the shop and interrupted them. “Michael? Would you come through, please?”

Michael felt the butterflies in his stomach, a warning of his nervousness returning. He thought, “I'm on a stage to give a performance”, and the nerves mostly subsided.

Following the man to the rear of the shop, he took more notice of his appearance. He was a little over six feet tall, athletically built and appeared to be in his late twenties, thirty at most. He would be considered casually dressed if it wasn't for the paint spatters on his jeans and polo shirt, which extended to his arms and hands. In the back office, he was introduced to a slightly shorter man who was similarly dressed with brown hair and a slimmer figure, appearing to be of similar age. Michael pictured them with equally good-looking wives and thought they must be older than they looked.

The shorter man held out his hand. “Good morning, Michael. I'm Kevin Cole. The lump who brought you through is my husband and partner, Ian Johnson. I believe you have met our sons and junior partners, Benjamin and Joseph.”

Looking confused, Michael reached out and shook the offered hand. “Good morning, sir."

Kevin smiled, amused at Michael's confused look. “Okay, first, cut out the sir. I am Kevin, and he is Ian.”

Ian offered his hand. “Good morning, Michael. We don't stand on formality here. Although there are times when Benjamin would have some think differently.”

Relieved, Michael shook Ian's offered hand, “Good morning, err, Ian.”

“Right, let's get down to business.” Ian picked up Michael's CV and gave it a quick glance before handing it to Kevin. He had read it thoroughly when Benjamin brought it through.

While Kevin read Michael's CV and raised an eyebrow when he saw who was giving Michael a reference, Ian gave a rundown of the company's background. GJC Ltd was created from the Goldstein, Johnson and Cole Partnership. After completing an apprenticeship in jewellery design, Ian became a partner to Emmanuel Goldstein at the same time as Kevin, a qualified accountant with several other business qualifications. Benjamin and Joseph, as the heirs to their parents’ shares of the business, became co-directors when the limited company was formed.

Their shares in the company were part of the boys’ trust fund managed by a solicitor. GJC Ltd owns Goldstein, Johnson and Cole Jewellers, which operates two shops in Prestwich and Manchester City Centre. This new shop is the first to open under the banner of GJC Buy, Sell and Exchange, which will trade as a pawnbroker and trader of pre-owned goods. Concentrating on modern tech, including gaming, musical instruments and jewellery, they will also be providing a pawnbroking and buyback service.

Full training will be provided for all staff of the new shop. If the shop is successful, more branches will be opened in the future. Sean, the senior manager in the jewellery business, will manage the shop initially, and all successful applicants will be fully trained in all aspects of the business and are expected to trade fairly, honestly and ethically.

When Ian had finished that part of the interview, Kevin asked Michael to tell them about himself and his background. Michael looked up toward the ceiling as if to ask for divine inspiration and heard Harry's words in his mind. “Be honest and truthful.” Taking a deep breath, Michael began by telling them of his childhood, his father's death and his time in school. He then went on to tell of his time in college and his studies. He told the truth about the pain of his mother's death and subsequently becoming homeless, including the 'confrontation' his brother had with Max and everything that had happened in the short time since that occurred. He left nothing out. When he saw the thoughtful look on Ian and Kevin's faces, he took it as a sign of rejection. After wiping a tear from his eye, he apologised for wasting their time and went to leave.

“Where are you going? We haven't finished yet.” Kevin gently placed a hand on Michael's arm to stop him.

Michael looked at Kevin's hand on his arm. “Sorry.” He whispered.

“Michael, tell me, where is your brother? Did you say his name is Charlie?” Ian asked.

“Yes, he's called Charlie. He's working just down the road. He works for Stacy's brother at Chorlton Service Centre. He's a mechanic, but they call them vehicle technicians now.” Michael couldn't understand why they wanted to know about Charlie.

“Kev, would you mind if I left you to talk with Michael while I make a call?” Ian held up his phone and waved it.

“That's fine with me. I want to ask Michael more about his studies and other interests, so you go ahead.” Ian slipped out to the front of the shop while Kevin and Michael continued.

Michael's hopes to work part-time while studying impressed Kevin. Kevin was particularly interested in Michael's proposed involvement in producing a Christmas show at The New Boot and made a mental note to speak to Jeff and Christian about it. Ian returned to the office as they finished talking. His nod to Kevin was not seen by Michael.

Ian stood next to Kevin and discreetly held his hand. Feeling Kevin squeeze his hand twice, he took on a serious tone. “Do you want to tell him, or shall I?”

Michael, fearing rejection, dejectedly lowered his gaze to the floor.

“I'll tell him, you're too long-winded.” Kevin gave his attention back to Michael. “Michael?” Michael looked up, his expression unchanged. “You have applied for a part-time position of twenty hours a week, is that right?”

“Y...yes, Kevin, that's right,” Michael spoke quietly.

“Right, full-time sales staff working forty hours a week are paid £13,000 a year, so for working half of their hours, you would be paid £6500 a year, paid monthly, directly into your bank account. Is that agreeable?” Kevin asked.

“Pardon, could you repeat that, please?” Michael wasn't sure he heard right.

Kevin understood Michael's reaction and repeated the information. “Of course. For working twenty hours a week part-time we will pay you £6500 a year, paid monthly into your bank account. That works out to £541.67 a month. Can you start work on Monday?”

Michael smiled, his biggest smile ever. It showed in his eyes. “Thank you, thank you. Yes, I can start Monday. What time do you want me to start? And I promise to work hard and do my best.” He shook Kevin's and then Ian's hand, almost forgetting to let go. He was so overjoyed.

For the next ten minutes, he listened as Kevin told him when to report for work and what information he needed to bring with him, letting him know they would complete all necessary paperwork on Monday.

Michael explained that he needed time to contact his bank, as he needed to change some details and get a new bank card and was told to provide them ASAP. Kevin told Michael to wear jeans and a T-shirt for the first week as they were still getting the shop ready, and they would provide three white shirts and two pairs of trousers as work uniforms before the shop opened.

Before leaving the shop, Ian re-introduced him to Benjamin and Joseph as the newest member of staff. Benjamin shook Michael's hand saying, “Welcome, Mr Michael, welcome to the company.”

Michael returned the handshake, “Thank you, Benjamin. But I am not Mr Michael, it's just Michael.”

As Michael went to shake Joseph's hand, he did not notice the impish glint in his eyes. Joseph pushed his hand aside and drew Michael into a hug. “Welcome, Just Michael, I hope you will be happy working with us,” causing a ripple of laughter. Ever the shy one, Michael was blushing from the hug by the young boy.

Michael left the shop still giggling at Joseph's wisecrack, feeling happy and excited. On the short walk to the cafe, Michael felt like he was floating. He smiled at the people he passed and found that smiles were infectious, as total strangers smiled back at him. Michael spotted Harry sitting at a table near the window. There was no doubt Harry was looking out for him. Michael didn’t need to say anything when he sat down at the table opposite Harry.

“Okay, I can see I don't need to ask how the interview went. It's written all over your face,” Harry chuckled. “So, when do you start?”

“Monday, at one o'clock. I've been told to wear jeans as we will be getting the shop ready to open. And I need to contact my bank. I need to make sure my account is still open and update my details. I need to get a new bank card.” Michael was talking a mile a minute.

“Slow down a bit. One thing at a time, do you have the right clothes for work on Monday?” Harry was amused by Michael's enthusiasm.

“Yes, and they will provide work uniforms for when the shop opens.”

“Do you have the information they need for you to start work?” Harry asked.

“I have my National Insurance card in an old wallet, it's in the bedroom at your house. My old bank card and college ID are with it.”

“Has Charlie sorted his bank account yet? And which bank do you both use?” Harry was trying to be as helpful and supportive as possible.

“I don't know if Charlie has sorted his, I haven't asked him. We both bank with HSBC. It's the one the college helped us with.”

Harry thought for a moment, then spoke again. “Right, this is what I suggest. We call into the garage where Charlie works and check when his lunch break is, and maybe we can sort it all out during his break. There is a branch of HSBC on the corner where the traffic lights are.” Harry checked the time on his watch. “If we get a move on, hopefully, we can speak to Charlie before his break starts.”

 

Chorlton Service Centre was near the cafe and it took them a little more than ten minutes to walk there. Although Harry felt slightly out of breath, he enjoyed the walk in the cool, crisp weather. When they arrived, they spoke to Spencer, introducing themselves and explaining why they were there. Spencer was pleased to meet them and invited them to sit in the office and called out to Charlie to join them.

At first, Charlie was concerned about seeing Harry and Michael in the office, but a quick explanation put his concerns to rest. When Spencer asked if Charlie had sorted his bank account, he answered no, saying he hadn't given it a thought. His old bank card was in his sock and underwear drawer at Harry's.

“How's the carburettor coming on?” Spencer asked.

“Umm, nearly done. I've just got to position the new metering needle. Once that's done, it will take about another fifteen minutes to finish the job.” Charlie was pleased with himself.

“Go finish it, then you're done for the day so you can get your account sorted. Okay?” Spencer was happy and in a very good mood. Seventy-five pounds for a carburettor service kit from eBay, and a morning's work was a far better investment than three hundred and seventy-five pounds for a reconditioned one. Charlie had saved them money and proven himself beyond expectations.

An hour later, Charlie was over the moon. He had finished reassembling the carburettor and fitted it back on the engine of the Triumph. After a minor adjustment, it worked perfectly as they started the engine. With the engine running, it revealed a slight timing issue, which was easily rectified, and the engine purred as it was meant to. Joe, Spencer's dad, was ecstatic at the results and gave Charlie the praise he rightly deserved.


The afternoon was eventful as they went to Harry's for lunch, allowing Charlie to freshen up. Both of the lads grabbed their bank cards, old college ID cards, and national insurance cards in preparation for their visit to the bank. Upon reaching the bank, they spoke to the senior cashier, who helped them update their details and order new debit cards, which would arrive in a week.

To their surprise, Charlie discovered that his college rewarded students who completed their course and gained qualifications with a hundred pounds paid into their bank account. As Charlie had gained his qualification as a vehicle technician, he had qualified for the reward. Charlie couldn't believe his luck and wished he had known about it earlier so he could have used it to buy food. What Charlie did do, after speaking with Michael, was to ask for it to be split equally between their accounts. They withdrew twenty-five pounds each, intending to give Harry money towards the food bill. But when they offered it he refused, telling them they should do something to celebrate gaining their jobs and keep enough to help them through to payday at the end of the month.

Michael led the chatter that evening over the meal. He was excited to tell them all about his interview and what he could about the job he would be doing. It became more lively as Michael told them what little he knew about his employers and their wards, Benjamin and Joseph. He was looking forward to starting his first job and earning a wage.

Charlie and Michael were tidying up in the kitchen when the phone rang. Guessing who it would be Harry answered the call. He wasn't surprised when he heard Brad on the other end of the line. When Brad tried to strike up a conversation, Harry told him to come over to the house. That way, they could speak better, and it would allow Brad to speak to Charlie and Michael properly. Harry knew that was the main reason for the call and understood. Brad asked if his tag-alongs could come. Harry could hear Jason, Danny and Liam in the background and laughingly told him to bring the scamps along too.

Charlie and Michael had tidied up in the kitchen and were about to make themselves comfortable to watch The One Show on the TV when suddenly Missy sat up with her ears pricked. Watching the front door, she tilted her head first to one side and then the other, letting out a sort of cross between a whine and a growl. Seconds before the door was knocked, she ran to the door, jumping up and whining as though she was asking to be let out. Cautiously, Charlie went to open the door.

Realising there was nothing to be concerned about, Charlie opened the door to allow Brad and the boys to enter the house. This, in turn, allowed Missy to dash outside, resulting in laughter and playful screams as she attacked her young friend Jason with slobbery doggy kisses. Liam was using crutches that night and was laughing at Jason's fate as he caught up with them. Missy stopped her 'attack' on Jason and looked toward Liam. With one bark, she padded over to Liam and gently licked his hand as he held his crutches. She then walked in front of Liam and pushed her way through the lads, stopping once to look over her shoulder and give out another single bark, waiting for Liam before walking into the house.

Inside the house, Missy guided Liam to the chair next to Harry's chair and waited for him to sit down before placing her front paws on the arm of the chair to give Liam doggy kisses. Harry smiled at Missy while patting and stroking her. The lads were open-mouthed in awe of her actions. She treated each of her humans according to their individual needs.

When everyone was inside the house, Charlie took Brad into the kitchen to make hot drinks and update him on the day's events. Missy settled between Harry and Liam while Michael updated the boys in the living room. Everyone was happy about the turn of luck at the bank. But happiness and congratulations for Michael was the overriding feeling in the room. Harry was misty-eyed, enjoying the presence of the young crowd who brought life back into his heart and his home.

Soon conversation centred around the Fallowfield Fireworks Display in Platt Fields Park. Brad, Danny, Jason and Liam were excited about it and let it be known that they were looking forward to it and Charlie and Michael coming with them.

“Sorry guys, no can do. Michael and I will be staying in with Gramps. We need to watch Missy so she doesn't get over-excited due to fireworks going off.” Charlie was definite in his answer.

“I'll be okay with Gramps and Missy on my own. Charlie, you should go with Brad and the boys. Have some fun for a change and enjoy it.” Michael wanted Charlie to spend time with Brad. It was his way of making up for what he did in Piccadilly Gardens.

“No, you will both go. I am perfectly capable of looking after Missy and myself for one night.” Harry liked the idea of them both going out and having fun, and he was determined.

Brad and the boys sat quietly watching. Not sure if they should get involved.

“But Gra...”

“No, Charlie. After everything you two have been through, it's about time you had some fun. And didn't I tell you both you should celebrate getting jobs?” Harry was calm but forceful. “Besides, if I need anything, Janice is only next door!”

“But Gramps...” Michael started.

Harry held up his hand to silence him, picked up the phone and dialled. After two rings, the phone was answered. “Hello, Janice?”

“Yes, it's me,” Harry said. “I have a problem. Could you come round, please?” Then Harry hung up. His stubborn determination would win, and he gave a triumphant smirk to the lads.

They all wondered what was going to happen. There was some fear that they had severely upset Harry.

In no time at all, Janice was letting herself in through the back door. “What's up, Harry?” Janice looked around the room, wondering what the problem was.

“It's these two.” Harry pointed at Charlie and Michael, then went on to tell her of the day's events and the opportunity for Charlie and Michael to have a deserved night out and celebrate with friends. “So the problem is, they won't listen to me. They do a lot for me, for which I am grateful, and I've told them I'll be fine on my own for one night. If I do need anything, you will be next door, so I can always call you. I know I don't say this very often, but I need your help.”

Janice pretended to think for a minute, then spoke. “Well, it's not really a problem. I don't like fireworks and I'll just be sat at home on my own while my Pete takes the kids out. So boys, it's your night off. I'll fill in.” Addressing Harry, she asked, “You still like the occasional Guinness, don't you?” Harry nodded. “That settles it then. We haven't had a good natter for a while. I'll bring the drinks, and we can keep each other company.” Janice turned her attention back to the lads, “That's it. Sorted. You two are going out, and I'll be here. Don't look at me like that, and don't argue with me. I don't care what Kung Foo you know, you won't be a match for me if you get me started, got it?” Janice winked at Harry, who smiled.

Charlie sheepishly answered, “Yes, Ma'am.

Michael laughed. He had seen her use these tactics on Harry, and now it was their turn to be on the receiving end.

Janice leaned in close to Charlie and Michael. “Don't take it to heart boys. Harry thinks the world of you and just wants you to have some fun with your friends. You're good lads, and you're good for Harry. I can see that, and I can see you both think the world of him too. I'm only next door, and we can do this together.”

Charlie quickly glanced at Janice and Michael before he spoke to Harry. “Okay, Gramps, you win. But you have to come out with us one night, soon, deal?”

“Deal,” Harry said with a big grin on his face.


With the lads out, Stacy decided it was the ideal time to speak to Max about a call he received earlier in the day. “Max, hun. Did you ever find out what the job was that caused Bill to turn down working on-site with you?”

“No, he wouldn't give any details. Said he's been asked to keep it quiet. The only thing I could get out of him was that it's a shop-fitting job, and he hoped to get more work out of it. Why?” Stacy's question made Max curious.

“Hmm, I'm just wondering if it has any connection to a call I received today.” Stacy had a quizzical on his face. “Well, he's not the only friend who's been keeping secrets.”

Max's curiosity was piqued. “Really? Who else has been keeping secrets?”

Stacy was fit to burst as he 'spilled the beans'. “Well, you know that Michael was going for an interview today, and I said I would give him a reference.”

Max rolled his eyes. “Are you going to tell me what this is all about, or are you going drag it out?”

Playfully, Stacy hit Max with a cushion. “You're no fun sometimes. Okay, I'll tell you. Michael got the job. I had a call from one of his new bosses to check his reference. But you will never guess who it was that called. It was Ian.”

Max was surprised. “What! Ian, as in Ian and Kevin?”

Stacy was almost laughing. “Yes, Ian, as in Ian and Kevin. It seems they are diversifying and opening up a few new shops. I'm hoping that it doesn't freak Michael out when he discovers that we know his bosses. But I also wonder if that is the job that Bill is keeping quiet about?”

“It's possible.” Max couldn't contain himself and burst into laughter.

Michael's new job is worth celebrating, I wonder what he will think when he discovers the connection between his employers and Max and Stacy. And the lads have a night out to look forward to thanks to Harry's insistence and Janice's 'bullying', but it's not real bullying as there is no harm being done. There are no tears in this chapter so I hope you have saved money by not having to buy tissues, lol :gikkle:.
I hope you are continuing to enjoy What Happened To The Baxter Boys. Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to. It's the best part of the story for me.
Chapter 12 will follow very soon, when do you think it should be posted? My buffer on chapters is almost depleted so I'd better get on with some writing, I don't want to disappoint any of my readers. 
Thank you to @raven1 for all of your hard work editing and beta reading helping and supporting me in the writing of this story.
Copyright © 2023 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 32
  • Wow 1
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



15 minutes ago, raven1 said:

Shhh! I misspoke. Don't let the boss know. :X

The occasional spoiler won't hurt, just don't give them too many. :hug:

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

@CincyKris and @raven1 I have not observed any of my cats having an adverse reaction to the fireworks. I have seen their ears twitch if the hear them and they may lift their head from snoozing, but that is about the extent of it. Firecrackers are banned in Australia for personal use and you cannot legally buy them. Seemingly most people observe the law. 

Banning firecrackers for personal use is a good thing and probably why your cats are less bothered by other fireworks. Unfortunately in some parts we have idiots throwing them al most anywhere causing problems.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, JohnnyC said:

Thank you for this lasted chapter , Happy that Michael got his new Job and He and Charlie new bank cards to boot . I know both young men are happy to be working ,With a Home to live in and plenty of food to eat . I worked for a local pawn shop for two years here in California,It’s a highly regulated business plus you learn your clientele rather quickly. Happy Christmas to You & Joyous New Years 🎄🎂🥂🍱

Thank you for commenting @JohnnyC. Things are looking good for Charlie and Michael, I'm proud of them for recognising their good fortune and are already giving back, so to speak.

Working in a pawn shop is fun and interesting as you never know what is going to come in through the door from one day to the next. I worked in pawn shops with my dad and enjoyed it. As a qualified and experienced pawnbroker, I now work as a consultant to other pawnbrokers.

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to you.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..