Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 5,527 Words
  • 2,484 Views
  • 63 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Charlie and Michael Baxter lost their father at a young age. They have been brought up by a hard-working mother who loved and treasured her boys. Unfortunately, she passed away before they finished college and through no fault of their own, they found themselves homeless. This is their story.

What Happened To The Baxter Boys - 2. Chapter 2

I've decided to post this chapter a day early as a Thanksgiving treat for my 'American friends across the pond, I hope you will enjoy it. Chapter three will follow soon.

Charlie lay back on his bed with a multitude of thoughts swirling around in his head. Though exhausted, sleep didn't come easy and he was still trying to process everything that had happened that day.

Charlie kept replaying the day's events over and over in his mind. Half carrying a very ill Michael on the long walk to Manchester City centre had taken all of Charlie’s strength. Then, the harrowing experience of thinking he was going to fight with Max and lose. He also remembered the relief he felt when he realised that Max, the man mountain, was a knight in shining armour in really dusty, grubby work clothes. His mind flashed to the stress-filled paramedic’s exam and then to his relief when Michael had been admitted to the hospital and was receiving treatment. He still couldn’t believe the loving help and care of the Robins family.

Charlie had bottled up his emotions for so long that he didn't notice the tears of relief as they left his eyes to settle on the pillow as he continued to reflect on the day.

 

Arriving at the Barton household had been an experience in itself. The house looked grand on the outside, much the same as most on the same road, and inside was like a mini palace. He was afraid to go inside in case his dirty scruffiness spoiled anything.

A tear had blurred his sight when Jason spoke. “Come on Bro, you're home now.”

Charlie’s feet sank into the deep carpet, and the softness of the luxurious lounge suite felt like a soft heavenly cloud when he sat on it.

When Jason showed him the bathroom, he offered Charlie the use of the shower, gave him a new toothbrush, told him to use whatever toiletries he wanted and loaned him a pair of loose-fitting shorts and a t-shirt. Charlie initially felt embarrassed, but with Jason's friendly nature and joking banter that didn't last long.

Charlie was emotionally shot as he stood under the showerhead. The warm water had washed away a fresh flow of tears. He couldn't describe his feelings, maybe there was still an element of fear or maybe there wasn't. However, there was an overwhelming feeling of comfort and hope. Yes, what he felt was hope.

Afterwards, Jason had shown him the washing machine so that he could clean his clothes. They were now folded on the dresser in the bedroom, looking and smelling much better. No longer dirty and reeking of the pungent odour caused by dirt, grime and sweat. They were clean, ready to wear, smelling fresh like an early spring morning.

When Charlie came downstairs after his shower, he was introduced to Jason's boyfriend, Danny. He soon discovered the two were seldom apart. In Charlie's eyes, they made a cute couple, and he couldn't help feeling a twinge of jealousy seeing the love they shared. With a lump in his throat, he had silently acknowledged what he truly wanted – a relationship like theirs.

The evening meal was a beef stew that Stacy had left to cook in the slow-cooker earlier in the day. Charlie's stomach rumbled and everyone's mouths watered smelling the heavenly aroma. The stew was served with herby dumplings that Stacy added. All plates were emptied and nobody left the table hungry. They all agreed to wait for the apple pie dessert until later. The stew remaining in the pot was left to cool before being placed in the fridge. Charlie left the table with a tear in his eye. The simple but tasty meal had reminded him of his mother's cooking. It was one of his favourite meals that she cooked, and was a sweet memory for him.

In his mind's eye, he could see his Mum. She was smiling. The same as she always did when she knew her boys were well-fed. It had felt like his Mum was pulling him into a hug, but it wasn't. When he looked, it was Stacy hugging and comforting him. Charlie went into an emotional overload.

Shh, everything will be okay. It will all work itself out,” Stacy had reassured him.

Jason and Danny had gone upstairs to play games on Jason's PS4, allowing Charlie to talk with Max and Stacey. During the next hour and a half, he retold his and Michael's story. This time he had shared more details. Max and Stacy realised that this was not an easy conversation for Charlie. The two loving men did all they could to make him feel at ease by letting him know he only needed to share what he felt comfortable sharing.

After the evening meal had time to settle, Max suggested that Stacy serve the apple pie. Max, Stacy and Charlie preferred to have theirs with the thick custard Charlie had helped to make. Jason and Danny had theirs with ice cream and took their desserts upstairs to eat while they played Need For Speed.

Finally, the day caught up with Charlie. Feeling tired and relieved, he excused himself to go to bed. Passing the open door of Jason's room, he had noticed the two teenagers sitting on the bed playing NFS on the PS4. He smiled as he entered his room. The bed could be two good-sized single beds with individual memory foam mattresses or pushed together to make a large king-size bed. Max had split it into two singles earlier in the evening. Charlie had chosen the bed near the window, and hoped his brother would soon be occupying the other. Although he was tired, Charlie couldn't sleep and that was when his tearful reflection of the day had started.

As the tears left his eyes to settle on the pillow, Charlie didn't feel his body shake as he sobbed, nor did he hear the bedroom door quietly open as two young men entered the room. He did notice the mattress sink as he felt two pairs of arms pull him into a warm, comforting hug. Sandwiched between Jason's and Danny's chests, he cried. Finally, he succumbed to everything and slept.

 

It was a strange experience for Charlie when he woke in the morning. In that halfway stage, when he was still sleepy yet partially awake, he felt warm and comfortable. As his senses started to come to him, he felt trapped. When he opened his eyes, he didn't recognise where he was and started to panic. His heart began to beat faster, and his breathing became short and shallow. That was when he saw two sets of deep blue eyes looking down at him and remembered where he was. He closed his eyes and tried to control his breathing, slowly in through the nose and out through the mouth. After a few deep breaths his heart calmed to a steady beat, and he opened his eyes. He saw the worried look on the faces of the two teenagers, but all he could think about was one thing. How could two boys with almost identical blue eyes be so different, Jason with jet black hair and Danny with golden blond hair. They were an adorably cute couple.

"Are you okay we didn't scare you, did we?" asked Danny.

"It's just that when we heard you crying last night, we couldn't let you be alone," Jason was finishing what Danny started to say.

Charlie tried to stifle the laugh that was building in him, but he couldn't hold it anymore and laughed out loud. Jason and Danny gave a questioning look at each other, untangled themselves and sat upright on the large bed. They had pushed the two halves together last night to keep Charlie company, so he wasn't alone.

"I'm guessing you feel a bit better this morning. Now what's so funny?" Both boys looked relieved, and Jason was smiling as he spoke.

As Charlie's laugh calmed, he answered. "Nothing's funny really. I just can't get over how you two can look so different and cute yet have almost identical eyes, that's all. Now that I'm free of your grip, I need to get to the bathroom. You both need to close your eyes." Before the boys could close their eyes, Charlie pushed the duvet off them all, jumped up, and ran to the bathroom led by his morning wood pushing his shorts out to point the way.

"What? Why..." Danny's eyes widened as he noticed Charlie's huge appendage stretching the front of his shorts.

Jason sat in the bed with wide eyes and an open mouth at the sight.

Charlie couldn't help noticing the bulges in Jason's and Danny's tight boxer briefs as he jumped out of bed. They all had the same morning wood 'problem', and neither of those boys had anything to be ashamed of. Charlie locked the bathroom door behind him. Looking down, he knew he wouldn't be able to empty his bladder in that state. He couldn't get the image of those two attractive teenagers out of his mind.

There was only one solution, lowering his shorts, eight hard inches sprang up and slapped his lower abdomen. Standing in front of the toilet, he gripped himself. It only took a few quick strokes and less than thirty seconds before his erection was taken care of. The evidence was all over the cistern and in the toilet bowl. A few moments later, he relieved his bladder.

He stepped out of his shorts to clean up the bathroom and have a quick wash. He put his shorts back on and turned to leave. As he opened the door, Charlie was greeted by two teenagers who were smirking wickedly. He couldn't help but notice that their boxer briefs had smaller bulges than earlier but were still quite noticeable. To top it off, both of the boys were clutching a stack of used tissues in their hands.

He smirked at them knowingly. “I hope you haven't messed up my bed.”

Charlie laughed as he returned to the bedroom to get dressed, leaving the two embarrassed youths standing like statues.

Dressed and feeling better than the day before, Charlie went downstairs. As he passed the bathroom, he heard the shower running and the sound of two giggling teenagers. He smiled and shook his head not wanting to think about what was going on in the shower.

Stacy was making a pot of tea as Charlie entered the kitchen. "Is there anything I can do to help?" Charlie asked.

"Thanks for asking, but it's okay. I've got everything under control. Fancy a cuppa? I'm having one."

"Please, milk and two sugars for me," Charlie answered.

Stacy made the drinks and sat at the kitchen table, passing one to Charlie. "Sit with me, let's have a natter before I get breakfast sorted."

"I don't need breakfast, this will do me." Charlie gestured toward his mug of tea.

Stacy did not like that answer. "Nonsense. You will have breakfast the same as the rest of us, and I'll hear no arguments young man. I had mine earlier with Max. I'll make breakfast for the boys when they come down, so what do you want?"

Charlie picked up his mug. "I'll just have the same as Danny and Jason. It's easier for you. Thank you."

"No problem. So, you lost your apprenticeship. What were you doing?"

"Yeah, I wanted to be a car mechanic, they call them vehicle technicians these days. But that's gone now. I guess I'll try to find a job as a labourer somewhere. If Max would give me a chance, I promise I'll do my best for him. I'm a hard worker, honest." Charlie was pleading his case, hoping for the chance of a real job.

"I'm sure that you are a hard worker, but you will have to speak to Max. The business is his domain, and I don't interfere just as he doesn't interfere in my work. Don't get me wrong, we support each other in all aspects of our lives. So speak to Max tonight, but don't give up on your ambitions either. You never know what's around the corner." Stacy had a certain look in his eyes, one that said 'I have an idea', but only those that knew him well would recognise it.

Charlie knew it wasn't an out-and-out 'no', but he was determined to do anything for a job. "I'd ask if you had any jobs going, but I don't know what you do."

Straight-faced, trying to hide the inner laugh, Stacy answered Charlie. "Hun, as much as I applaud your determination, what I do is a solo performance. It takes many years of learning, experience, and above all, a certain disposition that, unfortunately, you do not have. Come with me. I'll show you."

Stacy took Charlie into the extension that Max had built specially for Stacy. The room at the rear was kitted out like a dressing room in a theatre. There was a dressing table with shelves and drawers full of make-up, one fixed and two adjustable illuminated mirrors built onto one wall. On the opposite wall was a fixed full-length illuminated mirror surrounded by photos of Stacy's alter-ego, 'Miss Daisy Chain', on stage. The far end of the room was fitted with rails full of outfits, and shelves full of shoes that he used on stage. The cases needed to transport anything needed for a show were stacked neatly in the corner.

The front room was a fully fitted and kitted-out studio enabling Stacy to rehearse the songs he sang during his performances. In short, it housed everything that a very successful Drag Artist could desire.

Charlie was amazed. "Wow, this is fantastic! Michael would love something like this. Not that he wants to do drag, but he wants to be a stage performer. That's what he was studying in college. It's his dream to be an actor and singer. He has an amazing voice." Charlie was full of enthusiasm and pride for his brother.

Then it was like a cloud had come over him as a sad look appeared on Charlie's face. "I just hope being ill doesn't stop that dream. He'd be crushed if he couldn't sing anymore." By now, tears were streaming down Charlie's face.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." Charlie turned fully intending to run upstairs to 'his room' until Stacey took him by the arm and pulled him into a hug.

"Come on now, let it all out, don't hold back you need this. It will do you good to get it out of your system. We all need to let go sometimes." Although smaller by a few inches, Stacy held on to Charlie, comforting him and gently rubbing up and down on his back as Charlie let loose a torrent of tears.

As the sobs subsided, Stacy spoke. "Do you feel a little better now?"

Charlie nodded. "Yes, thank you for understanding and for helping us."

"It's our pleasure. You both seem like such lovely boys. We will do what we can to get you two back on your feet. Now, I think those two terrors are done in the bathroom, so get yourself up there and have a quick wash. I'll go get breakfast sorted, okay?"

Charlie nodded. He didn't run, but he did go to wash his face and 'straighten' himself out.

As Stacy entered the kitchen, Jason spoke up. "Pop, is Charlie okay? We haven't upset him, have we?"

"He will be. Give him some leeway. He and his brother have had it tough. Now tell me, why would you think you've upset him? What have you done?" Stacy gave Jason and Danny an inquisitive stare.

"We didn't mean to upset him, it's just we heard him crying in the middle of the night. So we thought we would go in to try to make him feel a bit better." Stacy raised an eyebrow and encouraged Jason to continue. "When we went in, he was lying on the bed crying his heart out. We only went to give him a hug, but he fell asleep in our arms while we were hugging him. Danny suggested that we push the beds together and cuddle up with him for a while in case he woke up crying again. I thought it was a good idea, so we did, but we fell asleep and woke up with him this morning. We didn't mean to fall asleep, and we didn't mean to upset him."

Coming down the stairs Charlie heard what Jason was saying. Entering the kitchen, he made Jason and Danny jump as he rested his hands on their shoulders.

"You haven’t upset me. I'm just feeling very emotional and maybe a little embarrassed, but not upset. You both helped me to sleep last night. Thank you. I hope we can be friends." Charlie moved past them to sit at the kitchen table opposite them.

Jason jumped up gripping Charlie in an early morning hug. “Sorry, no can do, we can't be friends. You can be friends with him if you want.” Jason pointed at Danny. “But I want to claim you as a brother. I've always wanted a big brother, and if I claim you for a brother, I get two when Michael comes home.”

You got it Little Bro.” Charlie hugged Jason tight before sitting at the table with more tears in his eyes. This time they were happy tears.

"Okay boys, now that's all cleared up, let's get breakfast out of the way. We have got a busy day ahead." Stacy opened the fridge door reaching for the ingredients to make a full English breakfast.

It was approaching ten o'clock when Charlie, Danny and Jason boarded the bus into Manchester city centre. They needed to change buses at Piccadilly Gardens to get to Ardwick where The Old Shoe Factory was located. Each of them had cash in their pockets which Stacy had given them. Charlie tried to refuse but relented when Stacy and he agreed it was a loan and would be repaid. Jason had a little extra 'spending money' and special instructions from Stacy. Stacy had called ahead and spoken to Aunt May, who was now expecting them.

 

While the lads were out, Stacy made another call. After a few rings, the call was answered. "Chorlton Service Centre, Spencer speaking, can I help you?"

"Spencer, sweetheart, how are you?" Stacy asked.

"I'm good thanks brother/sister. What is it now? Has that old jalopy of yours broken down again? I get fed up telling you, you need to get rid of that old thing. I mean the car, not Max." Stacy's ears were deafened by the hearty laugh of his brother, Spencer.

"Will you ever give up on that? I may be gay but I'm your brother, not a brother/sister. Now can we be serious for a minute?" Stacy rolled his eyes as he replied to his brother.

"Okay. I'm sorry, you know I'm only joking. I still love my little brother." Spencer was smiling as he held the phone. "Now, what's up with the car?"

"Hey, less of the little brother, you're only eleven minutes older. The car is running fine. If it wasn't, it would be your fault, as you're the only person I trust to work on it." Stacy loved the friendly banter with his brother, but now he was taking on a more serious tone.

"Okay, now you're starting to worry me. You sound too serious."

"It's nothing to worry about. I'm hoping you can help me. Well, someone I know really. But it could be of benefit to you."

"Okay, you have my full attention. I'm all ears." Stacy knew he had his brother's attention and had his fingers crossed.

Half an hour later, Stacy hung up the phone and jumped, punching into the air. "YES!"

 

As they approached The Old Shoe Factory, Charlie was in awe of the old building that had been refurbished. The original brick-built mill commissioned in the 1860s had an iron roof which was replaced with slate tiles in the 1920s after a fire. It gained grade-two listed status at some point in the 1980s. This meant that special permission was needed for any work carried out on the building. After gaining the right permissions, the windows had been replaced with double-glazed modern replicas to maintain the outward appearance. Previously non-existent doors to each retail unit had to be specially approved to keep them in the same style as the rest of the building. The original entrance had been restored, maintaining a tiled entrance and original sandstone lintel with the words 'Wilson's Shoe Factory' carved into it. The doors and frame, complete with stained glass windows, had been replaced with accurate modern reproductions, thus maintaining the grandeur of the building. The outside appearance belied the modern interior designed for its current use, the exceptions being the original stone stairs and steel column supports that had been integrated as a structural feature.

Jason and Danny explained that the ground floor was now retail units at the front and workshops at the rear, and all retail units were occupied. They were not sure about all the workshops. The boys continued to tell Charlie about all the features of The Old Shoe Factory. The first floor comprised seventeen fully self-contained studio apartments, a communal lounge and a communal kitchen that enabled residents to learn how to cook. The top two floors were twenty-one fully self-contained one-bedroom apartments, management offices and storage for maintenance.

Their first port of call was The Boot Cafe and Drop-in Centre. The first thing Charlie noticed was how everything was clean and orderly. He glanced around and noticed that most customers appeared to be what anyone would expect. There were a few who stood out. They sat chatting between themselves in a corner. From their appearance, Charlie guessed they were all homeless, his guess based on personal experience.

"Come on, let's order a drink before I introduce you to Aunt May." Danny was already at the counter as Jason spoke. "I'm having hot chocolate. I'll bet Danny's already ordered it. What are you having?"

"I'll have coffee, please."

With their drinks and a giant chocolate cookie each, they sat at an empty table. Aunt May was busy on the phone. Their server, whose name tag read Charlie, said he would speak to her when the call ended.

Five minutes later, May approached their table, "Hello Danny, Jason. Who's this gorgeous hunk you've brought to see me?"

"Hi Aunt May, this gorgeous hunk is Charlie. But I should point out that he is much too young for you and not as cute as me." Jason put on his cheesiest grin as he replied.

"I'll be the judge of that, you cheeky monkey." May was all smiles as she sat and chatted with Charlie, Danny and Jason, although she concentrated more on speaking with Charlie.

May had a way with people. She made them feel at ease and could get them talking about themselves before they knew it. She would have made a good detective if she chose to be one, but she enjoyed working in the cafe.

When Aunt May gave Charlie vouchers for The Recycle Shop, he didn't understand what that meant and asked about it. Aunt May explained that the purpose of the shop is to recycle good quality clothing, household goods and other items that had been donated. Most were pre-owned items which were sorted and cleaned before being placed in the shop. Other items were new and donated by companies as tax-deductible charity donations. Every item had a value and was affordably priced for those who wanted to buy them, or if you held one of Aunt May's special vouchers, you were entitled to what you needed at no cost. That could be clothing, household items, or even furniture. All they asked was that you donated what you could afford, now or in the future.

Charlie enjoyed talking with Aunt May. Her gentle nature reminded him of conversations with his Mum. A few times, he wiped away a tear because of those memories. Charlie left the cafe feeling more confident and upbeat. Clutching the vouchers in his pocket, he was looking forward to meeting Brad, the guy who worked in The Recycle Shop.

Danny entered The Recycle Shop and held the door open for the other two. “Brad my man, where are you hiding? You have a customer,” he yelled in an exaggerated, lilting voice.

Brad came from the stock room pushing a trolly loaded with fresh stock ready to display but stopped dead in his tracks with his eyes fixed on Charlie. He didn't know if it was love or lust at first sight.

Danny was smirking while waving a hand in front of Brad. “Hello, Earth to Brad, Earth to Brad. Are you there Brad?”

Sorry, I just -.”

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You zoned out there for a minute. Your customer needs serving.”

Jason was shaking his head and Danny was ready to burst into laughter.

Okay, sorry. Now what can I do for you guys?”

Brad knew he had been caught out ogling Danny and Jason's friend, his face coloured up showing his embarrassment.

Charlie, meet Brad. Brad, meet Charlie. Charlie and his brother Michael are staying with Jason and his Dads for a while. Unfortunately, Michael is currently in hospital.” Danny explained as he got the introduction out of the way.

Charlie shook Brad's extended hand feeling the softness and measured strength in the grip. Glancing up to look Brad in the eye he was mesmerised by the good-looking man and imagined the feel of Brad's short goatee as they kiss. The looks being exchanged did not go unnoticed by Danny or Jason.

Ooohh, this looks interesting,” Danny whispered.

You think so? I've never seen Brad look like that before.” Jason growled.

Danny realised that Jason was in 'protection mode' as they continued to watch.

Pleased to meet you Charlie, very pleased to meet you.”

Erm...likewise,” Charlie answered. Suddenly realising he was still holding Brad's hand, he let go.

What can I do for you, Charlie?”

Erm...I'm not sure really. We just had a coffee in the cafe and Jason's Aunt May gave me these vouchers.” Charlie retrieved the vouchers from his pocket and then handed them over to Brad. “She said to give them to you and you would know what to do with them.”

Aunt May is everyone's Aunt, not just Jason's,” Brad explained with a gentle smile. “She's an absolute darling, we all love her to bits. It looks to me as if she has given you vouchers for you and your brother, so if you come with me I'll show you the menswear section. You tell me what you need, then we can get you sorted. We can leave Danny and Jason looking at the PlayStation games.” Brad was eager to help, but he also secretly wanted to help Charlie... alone.

Pop said something about getting work clothes if that's possible,” Jason said as he watched the unspoken interaction between Charlie and Brad.

No problem, you two check out the games and I'll see what I can do to help Charlie.”

Leaving Danny and Jason in the gaming section, Brad whisked Charlie away to the other end of the shop.

While Danny started flicking through the PS4 games Jason watched Brad and Charlie cross the floor to the other end of the shop. “Do you think we've just been ditched?”

Whatever makes you think that?” Danny asked with a playful, lopsided smile.

Just the way that Brad was making googly eyes at Charlie, and if you notice Charlie keeps glancing at Brad thinking we won’t see him. I think there might be some mutual attraction going on there.” The look on Jason's face confirmed that he was in protection mode.

Okay, pull them claws back in Simba, Charlie isn't one of your cubs. Besides, you know what Brad's like, he's all confident in work, but chatting someone up, or dating, he's as shy as a timid kitten.”

True, but I'm not sure Charlie's ready for anything right now. Not with everything he's going through. I think he's a good guy and I don't want to see him get hurt.” Jason's concern showed.

So what you gonna do? Talk to your Dads about it?” Danny asked.

I'll talk to Pop, he's good with things like this. But not Dad, he'd be like a bull at a gate and that wouldn't be good.”

Yeah, I get what you mean. Now come on, at least look like you're not watching them. They won't be that long.” Danny nudged Jason to divert his attention.

Brad was being...well Brad, and did his usual thing when choosing clothes for any customer. But Charlie wasn't just any customer to Brad, so he went the extra mile in his choices and made sure that Charlie's clothes fit him perfectly and double-checked that Michael's clothes would also be a good fit.

Brad, this is too much, I can't pay for any of it.” Charlie felt anxious and fidgety as Brad ushered him to the changing rooms.

First, you don't have to pay for any of it, that's what the vouchers are for. Second, you have two vouchers, one for you and one for your brother, you both need clothes for work and everyday wear.”

But...”

No buts. We still have to pick out shoes, socks and underwear. I mean you have to choose,” Brad quickly corrected himself. His face coloured up as in his mind he pictured Charlie wearing tight figure hugging boxer-briefs. “And you still need warm coats.”

"But why is everyone being nice to me? I'm nobody."

Brad was shocked and upset that Charlie had such a low opinion of himself. Using all of the courage he could muster, he gently held Charlie's face, looking into his eyes and spoke forcefully. "You are not a nobody. You are somebody. You are Charlie and you are gorgeous." Brad pulled Charlie in and kissed him more passionately than he had ever kissed anyone. Brad's head was spinning as he thought. 'I could easily fall for you. Please give me a chance.'

Neither Danny nor Jason could believe their eyes. This was way, way out of character for Brad! However, Charlie looked like he was enjoying the kiss.

Jason snorted, “Timid kitten? More like smitten kitten.”

He relaxed a bit when Danny spoke to him. “Stay calm Simba. This looks interesting, and I think they could be good for each other.”

Charlie couldn't breathe. He felt as though he was on cloud nine. Charlie slowly returned to earth quietly, almost subserviently. Still blushing, he tried on the clothes. They were all slightly loose, but Charlie was okay with that. 'They will fit better when I put some weight back on’ he thought. At first, he was shy modelling the clothes in front of Brad and the boys, then his confidence grew as they all voiced their approval of the choices.

Picking out socks was easy. They didn't need much thought. Shoes and trainers took a little longer, but a decision was reached and a pair of steel-toe-capped boots were included for Charlie. When it came to picking out underwear, Charlie with his newfound confidence, decided to have a bit of fun. Brad appeared to be pushing the tight boxer-briefs. The same boxer-briefs that Brad had mentally pictured Charlie wearing earlier. Charlie picked up a pack of the loosest and baggiest boxer shorts he could find.

I think these will do,” Charlie stated.

The look of shock, almost horror, on the faces of Brad and the boys was comical and made Charlie smile.

On second thought, I'll have these.” Charlie threw down the pack of baggy shorts and picked up the boxer-briefs that Brad had been pushing. “Before any of you say anything. NO. I'm not going to model them.”

There were looks of relief and chuckles all around as Brad and the boys realised they had been had.

I'm sure that Brad would like to see you model them.” Jason tried to look innocent, but the devilish look in his eye made that impossible. It was anyone's guess who was more embarrassed by Jason's comment, both Brad and Charlie were beetroot red.

After Charlie agreed to take Harrington jackets for Michael and himself, a parka for himself and a smart-looking, double-breasted Louis Feraud peacoat for Michael, they were done. Brad rang everything through the till, using the vouchers as payment. He nodded at Jason when Jason discreetly followed Stacy’s orders and slid a folded fifty-pound note into the donation tin.

Hey Brad, can I have your mobile number so I can call you about PlayStation games when you get more in?” Jason's request appeared to be innocent, but he knew what he was doing.

Good idea.” Brad eagerly exchanged numbers for his own different reasons.

Great, now we're done I'm calling a taxi. There may be three of us but I don't fancy carrying that many bags on the bus.” Taking his phone back from Brad, Jason called Street Cars.

Charlie is still emotionally shot, he is doing his best to cope and worries about his brother. It looks like it's a good day, but what is Brad thinking? Is this too fast for Charlie?
I hope you are continuing to enjoy What Happened To The Baxter Boys. Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Chapter 3 will follow very soon, with further chapters posted more frequently.
Thank you to @raven1 for all of your hard work editing and beta reading helping and supporting me in the writing of this story.
Copyright © 2023 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 28
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..