Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 5,703 Words
  • 2,034 Views
  • 54 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Charlie and Michael Baxter lost their father at a young age. They have been brought up by a hard-working mother who loved and treasured her boys. Unfortunately, she passed away before they finished college and through no fault of their own, they found themselves homeless. This is their story.

What Happened To The Baxter Boys - 7. Chapter 7

Nothing to add here, but where are those tissues?

Michael turned his head to look at the radio alarm on the bedside table. The illuminated display read 7:17 a.m. He had been awake for a little more than an hour. He had listened to Max and Stacy get up and get ready for the day. Charlie woke up yawning and stretching in bed, then lay still staring at the ceiling in the dark room. Michael broke the silence, “Morning sleepy head.”

Charlie raised himself in his bed and, leaning on his elbows, he looked across the room at his brother. “Morning. You sound a lot better today. How are you feeling?”

Better than I was. I'm more worried about Gramps. He's got no one and he needs looking after.” Michael's concern showed, but then his physical needs took over. “I need a pee, a wash and a cup of tea, in that order.” Michael got out of bed and stood to dress.

Race you to the bathroom,” Charlie said as he shot out of bed and ran to the bathroom in his boxer briefs, leaving Michael surprised and miffed.

Stacy had prepared Max's breakfast, and while Max ate, he was preparing a packed lunch for Max to take with him when he left.

Max had left by the time Charlie and Michael entered the kitchen.

Charlie and Michael were drinking a mug of tea and chatting with Stacy in the kitchen when Jason stumbled in, still half asleep. “Is there any tea left in the pot?”

It probably needs a fresh pot brewing. I'll make it.” Michael moved to get up.

No you don't! Sit back down. You're still recuperating. He can make it himself.” Stacy was firm but not harsh.

Hey, I'm supposed to be your little boy, the one you love and care for.” Jason’s hurt puppy look was comical.

Stacy decided that he could play early morning games too. “You are dear, and you are also big enough, old enough and ugly enough to make a pot of tea yourself.”

Faking a pout, Jason made his tea in his mug. Sitting at the table with his tea, he looked over the top of the mug and smiled at Charlie and Michael. He wanted them to know he was only playing. His smile reached to the mischievous twinkle in his eyes.


 

When Max arrived at the building site, he was not surprised to find the main topic of conversation was the emergency job they had attended the previous evening. Knowing there would be good reasons for the callout, his workmen asked if he could tell the full story behind the job. Over mugs of tea, Max told them the story, from meeting Charlie and Michael up to the previous evening's events. For some, it was all fresh news. For others, it filled the gaps as they knew about Max and Stacy helping the lads. Afterwards, Max filled them in on what work needed to be completed that day.

Everyone was quieter than usual as they worked hard to complete their allocated tasks. The usual lively chatter was reduced to hushed murmurs. The friendly jibes and banter were missing. Time usually spent laughing at jokes was filled with men working hard, all deep in thought. After a late morning break where a lot of tea and bacon butties were consumed, they returned to work determined to work through until the light faded at about 3:30 in the afternoon.


 

Stacy and the boys worked hard tidying up Harry's house. The lounge was clean and tidy again, and Stacy had done his best to return the scattered personal possessions to the sideboard as best he could. Charlie finished the last coat of paint on the back door as Missy barrelled through to look for her newfound friend.

After Missy found Jason and attacked him with her tongue, Michael's offer of a damp cloth and towel was gratefully received and helped to wipe away the slobber left from doggy kisses. With Missy in the lead pulling Jason along, the three of them left for the walk to Old Moat Park.

Stacy found the secret drawer from the sideboard. It had been ripped out damaging the locking mechanism. Not knowing how to repair it, all Stacy could do was slide it in place until he could figure out what to do. Using the detailed list taped to the underside of the drawer, Stacy checked to discover what had been taken and made a separate list for the police.

Stacy's felt a mixture of sadness and anger. His hands were shaking as he wrote the list. Fourteen full sovereigns, twelve half sovereigns, three one-tenth Krugerrands, gold cuff-links and other jewellery. The jewellery included a wedding ring, an engagement ring and an eternity ring that had belonged to Harry's wife. A signet ring and a heavy flat curb bracelet that had belonged to his son, Michael, were also missing. The original logbook and other paperwork for the Mini Cooper were still there, but the keys were missing and were added to the list of missing property. With a heavy heart, Stacy put the list in his pocket. He would need it later in the day.

Charlie left the backdoor slightly ajar and went to ask Stacy if he wanted a cup of tea. “Stacy, do you wa...Stacy, what's wrong?”

Harry's secret drawer is broken and I can't fix it. It's going to need a specialist furniture restorer to repair it.” Stacy could feel the anger building in himself. “Everything is gone! They've taken all of Harry's valuables, including his wife's and son's jewellery! THE BASTARDS HAVE EVEN TAKEN THE KEYS TO THE CAR!” a pissed-off Stacy shouted.

When he calmed down, Stacy continued. “I found the papers for it. Harry bought it for his son Michael. He must have bought it for him just before he died and has kept it ever since. Look, the logbook and documents are in his name, Michael Willets.” With the anger building again, Stacy’s eyes began to shed many tears.

Come on, sit in the kitchen with me. I'll put the kettle on.” Charlie led Stacy to the kitchen with an arm placed gently around his shoulder, shocked at seeing and hearing Stacy so visibly angry and upset.


An hour later Jason and Michael were led into the house by Missy. Jason would never admit that Missy led him to the park as soon as her lead was attached. Nor would he admit to being run ragged around the park. This was definitely a case of the dog walking the owner which Jason decided was not cool, but Michael found amusing and very entertaining by the time he and Jason returned.

Missy went straight to Stacy and laid her head on his leg. With a look of sorrow in her eyes, she looked up at Stacy as though to soothe him. Missy's actions did not go unnoticed. As Stacy gently stroked her, Jason and Michael looked on concerned.

What's up with Pop?” Jason asked Charlie.

Before Charlie could answer Stacy sniffed and then spoke, “I'm fine, I'm just being a silly old Queen that's all. Anyway, you will find out soon enough. Now, we need to get to the hospital to see Harry and you boys need to eat.”

Stacy handed the car keys to Charlie. “You drive. Go through the new McDonalds drive-thru in Chorlton. Jason can direct you. When you boys have got some food, go straight to the hospital. I need to call the police sergeant from last night.”

They locked the house, returned Missy to Janice next door, and got in the car. With Stacy sitting in the back, flanked by Jason and Michael, Charlie did as he was told. By the time they arrived at the hospital, the boys had eaten. Stacy had almost been force-fed a small bag of fries by Jason. Stacy's stomach felt as though it was tied up in knots, but Jason insisted he had to eat something. When Stacy got through talking to the police sergeant, he agreed to meet them at the hospital to take full written and signed statements from Harry and Stacy.

When Charlie parked the car at the hospital, Stacy's phone rang. Max was calling. “Hi, hun.” Only Stacy's side of the brief conversation could be heard.

Well, it's clean and tidy, and Charlie finished painting the backdoor. Unfortunately, that's where the good news ends.”

Yes, we've just arrived at the hospital. The police are meeting us here to take the last statements and the list of missing property.”

No, they are still in the police cells.”

Okay hun, if you don't get here before we leave, I'll call you.”

I know, and I love you too, Mwah.” As always, Stacy ended the call with a kiss.

On the way to the ward, they met the police sergeant. He chatted with Stacy as they walked. When Stacy handed him the list of stolen items the sergeant radioed through to the station. When they relayed the list of items taken from the two thieves the sergeant smiled before ending the transmission.

Everything on your list was taken from them when they were searched. That's why I need these statements and why they are still in custody.” The sergeant was rubbing his hands with glee. “I can have them in front of a magistrate in the Saturday morning court. Those magistrates don't pull any punches. I'm sure they will be held on remand.”

What happens then?” Michael had been listening and could not resist asking.

Well, with the charges against them, it will go to Crown Court. If they have any sense they will plead guilty. There is too much evidence for them to get away with it.” The sergeant spoke in a serious tone. “The charges against them carry a hefty sentence, a maximum of twenty years. If they plead not guilty, it means a trial, and you need to attend court. Then, when they are found guilty, the judge will start counting at ten years. If they plead guilty, there is no need for a trial and they may be sentenced to anything between five and ten years if the judge is in a good mood. My guess is with their history, they will get at least ten years prison time.” Grinning, he walked with them to see Harry.

When Max arrived at the hospital, Harry was laughing and chatting with the lads while Stacy gave his second statement to the police. When Stacy finished he was asked to collect a receipt for the stolen items from the police station. When Stacy agreed to do that, the police sergeant said his goodbyes and left. Shortly afterwards, one of the nurses approached, informing them that the afternoon visiting time was over. She politely asked them to leave, telling them they could return later for an evening visit.

Harry was recovering well but he still tired easily and it showed. “Please don't misunderstand me when I ask this, and I am very grateful for everything you have done for me. It's just that I am tired, and with everything that's happened the last few days I need time to rest and think about what has happened. Would you mind putting off visiting tonight and leaving it until tomorrow? The silver lining in this dark cloud is that I have met all of you...and made friends with you wonderful people. Max, Stacy, you are both very good men with big hearts, and you have a beautiful family. I hope you are proud of your boys. They are a credit to you.”

Stacy grinned and Max smiled at the lads as he replied, “Well, we can't take all of the credit. The boys are a credit to themselves, and yes, we are proud of them. All of them.” Pausing for a moment, he turned to face Harry, “You get some rest, Harry. We will see you tomorrow then. Is there anything you would like us to bring you? It's no trouble.”

You shouldn't trou...”

Max has just told you, it's no trouble, no trouble at all. Now, what would you like us to bring?” Stacy was polite but firm, leaving Harry in no doubt. “How would you like some tomato and basil soup?”

Is it homemade?” Stacy nodded and Harry's eyes lit up, “Yes please.”

We'll bring it tomorrow with fresh bread. See you tomorrow Harry.” Stacy hugged Harry, and then the lads and Max gave Harry more hugs before leaving.

On the way home, Stacy detoured to drop Jason at Danny's home and then continued the journey home. Max had already arrived and parked on the drive. He was in the kitchen making a pot of tea while talking on the phone when Stacy, Charlie and Michael entered the house. Stacy took over making the tea and ushered Max to sit down at the kitchen table. Charlie and Michael went to their bedroom to rest.

Max ended the call and placed his phone on the table. “Well, that was an interesting call.”

How so hun?” Stacy queried, raising an eyebrow.

That was Billy. It seems the lads who helped out at Harry's last night have been talking. They have all agreed they don't want paying for the work they did. They said it was a good cause, not a job.”

That's nice of them. What did you say?”

I accepted, but that's not all. They said that Harry's house looks tired from the outside. They have offered to tidy it up in their own time, repaint it in the same colours and asked if I could cover the cost of the materials. I've agreed, and I'm meeting them tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. at Harry's. They want to have it finished before Harry is out of hospital.”

That's sweet of them. I always knew they were but a good bunch, but I never expected that.” Stacy was pleasantly surprised.


The remainder of the day was spent watching TV and chatting about Harry, Christmas arrangements, Charlie starting work at the garage, and other things. The only disturbance was when Jason and Danny came in, with Liam in tow carrying an overnight bag. With everything that had happened that week, they had forgotten that Liam was spending the weekend with them while Kate and Steve worked shifts at The Boot. Liam regularly stayed over at weekends enjoying the Friday night fish and chip supper that Max insisted on.


Saturday morning, Charlie and Michael were up early. When they offered to help with the work at Harry's, Max refused their offer. He insisted they spend time with Jason, Danny and Liam. They had made plans to show Charlie and Michael around Manchester City Centre, and Jason had secretly invited Brad to join them.


Max parked outside Harry's house to find Billy, George, Darren and Graham waiting. Billy and George set up ladders to paint the rear of the house while Darren and Graham set up ready to paint the front. Max opened the doors and windows, hoping that the dry weather would last long enough for the painting to be done. They had a full day of work ahead of them and then some.


Before the boys left, Stacy insisted that Liam take his wheelchair with him. Although he could walk using a stick, he would need the chair when he tired. As requested, a seven-seater taxi arrived to drop them at Piccadilly Gardens. After being dropped off opposite The Britannia Hotel, they walked to Cafe Nero. Michael pushed Liam in his wheelchair before starting the tour.

Danny tried to feign surprise, “Oh, look who it is.”

Hi Brad, what brings you here?” Jason's lame attempt to act surprised was no better.

H...hi.” It took a moment for Brad to realise that Charlie was not expecting him to be there.

I thought I'd have a latte before doing some shopping," Brad smiled. " Hi Charlie, it's good to see you again. What about you guys? What are you up to?”

We thought we would show Charlie and Michael around Manchester. Why don't you join us?” Jason had his fingers crossed, hoping his scheming would go as planned.

Yeah, sounds cool.” Brad could not take his eyes off Charlie. Michael and Liam easily recognised Brad's doe-eyed looks.

Liam sat in his wheelchair watching everyone standing and doing nothing. “Okay, you two,” Liam pointed at Danny and Jason. “Go and get us a drink. I'll have a cake too, and don't forget to ask Charlie and Michael what they want.”

After finding out what everyone wanted, Danny and Jason headed inside to the counter. Under Liam's direction, Charlie, Michael and Brad collected extra chairs and pulled two tables together to allow them to sit together. Liam may have been the youngest and smallest of the group, but he was also the bossiest and revelled at being in control.

Brad and Charlie were having a quiet conversation when Liam spoke to Michael. “I know my brother and Jason, and I think today was a set-up to get them two together,” nodding his head in Brad and Charlie's direction, “What do you think?”

Michael had his suspicions too. “Yep, I think you're right. If Brad stares any harder, he'll be staring into Charlie's soul. I know my brother, the way he keeps snatching glances and looking away red-faced, I know he's got it bad. Charlie told me Brad kissed him when they first met in the shop.”

Oooh, that's not like Brad. He's usually shy about talking to people he likes.” Liam was surprised at the revelation.

Michael grinned at Liam, “Are you up for a bit of fun?”

Like what?”

Watch this.” Michael scooted his chair over to Charlie while Liam looked on. “So, this is the famous Brad, eh? I'll give you, mmm, eight out of ten for taste. No make that a nine.” Michael watched the colour drain from both Brad and Charlie. “Well, he is a bit of a hunk. So why waste time? Go for it, but don't let him push you around like your last boyfriend did, or me and you will have serious words, got it?”

Charlie faced Michael and tried to speak, but no words came from his opening and closing mouth.

Now Michael gave his attention to Brad. “Why do you look so shocked? I already know you like my brother. You kissed him, didn't you?” Brad's face was almost white as he nodded. He could not seem to find his voice. “Well, you get my seal of approval, for now at least.” Michael stood and puffed out his chest, “But if you hurt him, I'll rip off your nads for earrings, got it?” Barely breathing, Brad nodded. “Good. Because if you two are going to stare at each other like that, you need to get a room.” Laughing Michael slapped Charlie and Brad on the back.

Brad jumped when Jason put a tray of drinks on the table. “Brad? Are you okay?”

Laughing, Liam answered while Brad struggled to find his voice. “I think he's trying to process the talk Michael just gave him. He doesn't want Michael using his balls as earrings. He's quite the protective brother, isn't he?” Liam's face was going red with laughter.

Jason tried not to laugh. “It's alright Brad. Although he is capable of doing it, he's only joking.”

That was when Charlie snapped out of it. “Michael, you little shit. That's not funny.” Charlie stood and poked his finger into Michael's chest. “You apologise to Brad now, or so help me, you will regret it.”

Michael swallowed hard, realising his joke had not gone over well. Brad looked as though he was ready to bolt when Michael faced him. “Brad, I'm sorry. It was only meant as a joke. I didn't mean to scare or upset you. I can see you both like each other. I only meant to ease the tension between you, not make it worse. I really am sorry.” Michael dropped his head looking at the ground. “I'll go, I don't belong here.” Michael stood and walked away.

Charlie watched his brother walk away, then sat and cried. Jason was talking to Brad to stop him from leaving. He knew there was a spark between Brad and Charlie, and he wanted to keep it alive. Danny looked in Michael's direction, then Charlie's. He felt torn.

Liam, can you keep an eye on Charlie, please? I need to catch Michael. We can't leave things like this.” Liam nodded and Danny ran after Michael.

Charlie?” Liam spoke softly, “Charlie, you do know he only meant it as a joke don't you?”

I know,” Charlie was equally as quiet. “I know, and I didn't mean to shout and lose it with him. That's not who I am. That's not who we are. But did you see how it affected Brad? I like Brad. A lot. And I want to see where things go. I don't know what my brother was thinking. It's not like him to behave like that.”

Liam nodded, his hair prickled on the back of his neck as he sensed Charlie's emotion. He felt guilty for being partly to blame for the upset.

Charlie felt an arm on his shoulders. When he turned, he was looking into Brad's eyes. “Charlie, I don't want to come between you and your brother. Maybe it would be best if we are just friends. You shouldn't argue with him because of me.”

But…,” Charlie did not want to be just friends. He wanted more than that.

No buts. Maybe it's just not the right time, is all. Maybe when you and Michael are more settled, it may be the right time. Let's just be friends for now. Hopefully, the right time will come soon.” Brad put on a brave face, although internally, he was screaming, "It's not fair.”

Jason was looking across Piccadilly Gardens in all directions. “Where are Danny and Michael?”

Liam piped up, “Michael walked off, remember? Danny has gone after him. Maybe we should try to find them.”

I'll text Danny. Fingers crossed, Michael is with him.” Jason took out his phone to send a text message.


Michael kept his head down. He did not want anyone to see that he was crying. He kept walking not looking where he was going, quickly sidestepping a couple of times to avoid walking into other people. When he got to the roadside, he did not look or stop but continued and stepped into the road. The sharp tug on his shoulder that pulled him back and spun him around came just in time.

Lost in his misery, Michael did not notice the bus drive past, narrowly missing him. Raising his hands in defence, he was ready to strike out. Seeing Danny in front of him looking worried, he dropped his hands and fell into Danny's chest crying. For the next few minutes, he cried in Danny's arms saying he was nothing more than a burden on his brother, constantly relying on him and dragging him down. Charlie had never threatened him before, and it hurt him. Danny did not say anything. He just let Michael get his frustrations out, hoping it was the right thing to do.

Danny's phone pinged, alerting him to a text message.

Jason – have u found M?

Danny – yep. V upset

Jason - where u at?

Danny – q vic statue opp spoons. Hows C?

Jason – v upset they nd 2 talk

Danny – we wait 4 u

Jason – k 5 mins

Danny put his phone away and spoke quietly, “Jason and the others will be here in a bit.” He felt Michael tense against him. “Don't worry, everything will be alright. They are all worried about you.”

 

Jason told the others to follow him and started pushing his way through the crowds of Saturday shoppers. Most of the crowd cleared a path as Liam sped up in his wheelchair shouting, “Cripple coming through, clear the way or be run over!”

Less than five minutes later led by Danny and Liam, who left a few bruised toes behind, the group came out of the crowd opposite Wetherspoons bar and saw Danny and Michael sitting on the steps of the Queen Victoria statue. Charlie took Michael from Danny's arms and hugged him fiercely as people passed oblivious to them.

I'm sorry for overreacting Michael. I know you was only joking.”

No, you shouldn't say sorry. I'm in the wrong for joking like that. I shouldn't have done it. I'm sorry. I hope I haven't ruined things for you with Brad. I'll never forgive myself if I have.” Michael saw Brad trying to hide behind Jason and Danny. “Brad, can I talk with you, please?” Michael pleaded.

Nervously, Brad walked over to where the brothers stood hugging and spoke quietly so only Michael and Charlie could hear him, “You don't have to worry we're just going to be friends.”

Brad, you don't need my approval. Charlie likes you and that is good enough for me. I love my brother. I don't want to lose or upset him, but my bad attempt at humour has hurt him. Don't let it hurt you too. I can see there is something there, and what you see now is a family hug, so get over here and join in.”

Thank you, Michael,” Charlie was emotional.

Are you su...sure?” Brad's nerves were showing.

Yes, now get over here.” As Brad joined in on the hug, Michael kissed him on the cheek. “I'm sorry for hurting you Brad. You're a good guy, and I promise I'll have your back.”

Not to be left out, Jason piped up. “Hey if this is a family hug-fest, I'm not missing out.” Jason, followed by Danny joined in the group hug. Even Liam stood shakily on his feet and joined in.

After the group hug, they happily went on a mini tour of Manchester City Centre, not noticing or caring about the cold autumn weather. It was not a typical tourist tour but a whistle-stop tour that would interest the younger generation new to the area. Jason and Danny showed Charlie and Michael the Cash Generator shop on Oldham Street, just off Piccadilly Gardens, where they could buy pre-owned tech, mobile phones, laptops etc., at cheap prices which Charlie and Michael liked. Brad told them of another shop, CEX, in the Arndale Centre which also sells pre-owned tech items. They planned to return to them when they had some spare cash. Liam also showed interest as Christmas was not far off.

From there, they walked to The Arndale Centre. Brad pointed out TK Maxx, where they could buy new branded fashion clothes and other branded items at knock-down prices, another store that could prove useful. After a brief walk around part of The Arndale Centre, they interrupted their mini-tour to have lunch at the food court in the Arndale Centre. They could return anytime for a more detailed tour of the huge shopping centre. The seating area with tables was surrounded by independent and multi-chain food vendors who sold a variety of delicious foods.

After they had eaten, Brad suggested they show Charlie and Michael where the traditional German Christmas Market would be opening in a couple of weeks. Brad told them there were a lot of different routes, but he took them through some of the old back streets. He pointed out some unique and quirky retailers where you could buy almost anything. When they arrived at Albert Square, preparations were already underway to erect the Christmas Market. It would attract stalls mainly from Germany, but some from other European countries as well. Albert Square was where a tall Christmas tree would be erected outside the Town Hall, and the annual Christmas light switch-on would occur.

From there, Jason and Danny led them past The Manchester Art Gallery and into Manchester's Chinese Quarter, known as China Town. Charlie and Michael were amazed at the colourful displays outside some shops and restaurants. It was almost like being transported to a different country. They were in awe of the pagoda-style arch over Nicholas Street. Brad, Jason and Danny told them it was a fun and lively place to be when the Chinese New Year was celebrated. It was a shame that the surrounding area looked to be run-down.

For their next destination, Brad took them all for a walk along Canal Street and Manchester's gay village, pointing out the different bars. The New Union was the first bar they saw from Princess Street, then G.A.Y and Manto's. As they walked past other bars that looked colourful and intriguing, Brad told them of other bars on the other roads like New York New York, The Thompsons Arms and Paddy's Goose being a few of them. When they reached McTucky's takeaway, they bought cans of soft drinks and continued. When they crossed Sackville Street, they passed The Rembrandt, Via Fosse and View before reaching Brad's favourite bar, Churchills.

As they passed Churchills Michael stopped and pointed. “I think that's where Gramp's son, Michael, used to work. Stacy said they called him Blonde Mikey.” When Brad suddenly went quiet, Michael turned to look at him. “Brad. Brad, what's wrong?”

You knew Mikey?” Tears were in Brad's eyes.

No, Stacy did. He said Mikey was a nice guy and speaks highly of him,” Michael answered.

He was my best friend. He was the first person to speak to me when I came out and plucked up the courage to go to Churchills. He looked out for all of us fresh on the scene.” Brad smiled through the tears at the good memories.

Although it was cold, they sat in the chairs outside Churchills and talked about Mikey and The Gay Village for a few minutes. Then Brad wiped his eyes and stood. “Come on, one last place to show you.”

Brad led the way back down Canal Street and across the bridge on Sackville Street to Sackville Gardens, a small but welcome park among the many bars and office buildings in The Gay Village. On one of its many benches sits a statue of Alan Turing, the disgraced but later pardoned code-breaker from the Second World War. Brad described how the park comes to life during Manchester Pride with a stage, small pop-up bar and vendors selling street food. When the weather was good, many people sit on the grass with drinks and snacks throughout the year.

Brad stood in front of Alan Turing's statue and spoke with respect and reverence, “This man was important in the war, we owe him a lot. Even now, he helps many of us. This will sound stupid. I've sat here with him many times, pouring my heart out to him. I know he can't do anything because he's just a statue, but it always makes me feel better when I talk to him about what's on my mind. I sometimes wonder how many others have and still do the same thing. So, even in death, Alan Turing is important and still serves his community.”

All of the lads were enthralled by Brad's description of Manchester Pride. They were more impressed with his knowledge of Alan Turing and the touching way he described his contribution to the war effort and his importance to the gay community locally.

As daylight faded late in the afternoon, they called a seven-seater cab from Street Cars and went home. Jason insisted that Brad come home with them. Jason knew Stacy was cooking spaghetti bolognese and also knew there would be enough to go around. Brad had left his car at home and used the bus to come into the city and the thought of Stacy's home-cooked spaghetti bolognese made his decision easy as he piled into the taxi with the lads.


The lads arrived at the Robins' house at the same time as Stacy parked on the drive. Stacy had been to visit Harry in the hospital to deliver the promised homemade tomato and basil soup, fresh bread rolls and other treats. On his way home he had stopped to buy a large joint of beef for Sunday lunch. Shortly after Max returned home from working at Harry's house.

Max, Stacy, Jason, Danny, Liam, Michael, Charlie and Brad sat down to eat in the dining room that evening. The chatter was upbeat as the lads talked about their day in Manchester. They tactfully left out the incident in Piccadilly Gardens but bigged up the walk around Manchester's Gay Village.

Max told them how work had progressed at Harry's house. The outside of the house had been painted and the garden would be tidied, or as much as could be done, the next day. He made a point of letting them know that the men wanted to do this for Harry as a gift.


Later the floor of the games room in the cellar looked like a squat full of bodies as six young men lay snoring under a mixture of blankets and sleeping bags. After Brad agreed to stay the night, they played pool and video games until, one at a time, they ran out of energy. Max and Stacy left them to their bonding session and chose to watch Stacy's favourite film, Pay It Forward starring Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt and child actor Haley Joel Osment. Max hugged Stacy tightly as tears streaked Stacy's face while watching the final scene and the soundtrack playing ‘Calling All Angels’ by Jane Siberry.

After putting the DVD away, Max took Stacy by the hand and quietly led him up two flights of stairs to the master suite built into the attic. Laying between the crisp white linen sheets, Max took his husband in his arms and gently kissed him. “I love you, Mr Robins.”

I love you too Mr Robins.” Stacy pulled Max in for another gentle kiss.

The gentle kisses led to more heated, passionate kissing and then to sweet, gentle, passionate lovemaking before falling asleep in each other's arms. Both men smiled as they slept, dreaming of their growing family of young men.

Life is moving on for The Baxter Boys, it has the occasional hiccup but then that's life. Michael's attempt to have a bit of fun almost backfired badly, but the brothers have made up and moved on. How did you like the tour? All of the locations are real, if you want to follow the boys you can use Google to track their movements and see what they saw.
I hope you are continuing to enjoy What Happened To The Baxter Boys. Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Chapter 8 will be posted next Tuesday.
Thank you to @raven1 for all of your hard work editing and beta reading helping and supporting me in the writing of this story.
Copyright © 2023 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 31
  • Wow 1
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..