Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 6,200 Words
  • 2,273 Views
  • 71 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Charlie and Michael Baxter lost their father at a young age. They have been brought up by a hard-working mother who loved and treasured her boys. Unfortunately, she passed away before they finished college and through no fault of their own, they found themselves homeless. This is their story.

What Happened To The Baxter Boys - 8. Chapter 8

Have you got the tissues ready? If your answer is no then please remember you have been warned. If your answer is yes, let's get back to reading about my favourite boys.

Sunday morning was downpours and strong blustery winds. The dismal weather stopped any work at Harry's until the weather improved. When Max spoke with Billy, they agreed they could go to Max's work-yard in Trafford and use some scrap wood to make a kennel for Missy. They would deliver the kennel to Harry's the following day after work. As it would only need to be sited in the back garden, it would be an easy task.

Jason and Danny helped Stacy tidy the house while Liam helped Michael use Jason's computer to access the internet to look for a job. Brad helped Charlie tidy the games room after the impromptu group sleep-over, stacking the rolled sleeping bags and extra bedding on one of the sofas until they were put away.

After they finished their task, Charlie spent some time alone with Brad in the games room until Brad's sister came to pick him up. Goodbye was difficult for Charlie and Brad as they held each other, quietly agreeing to speak during the week to arrange a date. It took them half an hour before Brad left with his sister, who had almost lost her patience.

The rest of the day was peaceful in the Robins’ house. Michael had no luck finding a job but remained determined. When he finally gave up, he joined the other lads playing Monopoly. Max got his business paperwork up to date. When Stacy called them to the dining room, they all enjoyed a hot dinner of roast beef and Yorkshire pudding with roast potatoes, creamed potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower cheese, carrots and green beans accompanied by gravy and horse radish sauce. Nobody had an appetite for the dessert, so they decided to eat it later.


When they visited Harry, they brought a warm roast beef dinner and a slice of apple pie. Harry was the envy of the ward as he tucked into his delicious meal. He was interested in hearing about what the lads had been up to and what they had planned for the following week. When Charlie spoke about starting work at the garage, Harry told them about his original plan to restore the Mini Cooper S with his son. Nobody told Harry of the work carried out at his house. It was to be a surprise when he returned home.


Late that afternoon in the Robin's house, Charlie got everything ready for starting work the following morning. Michael spoke to Stacy about his dreams of being on stage. For all that Michael had gone through, he still had his dream.

“Come with me.” Stacy stood and led Michael into his home studio.

Although Charlie had told him about it, this was the first time Michael had seen the studio. “Wow, this is neat, really neat!”

With a look of pride, Stacy held up a DVD disc. “This is one of the best shows I have ever had the pleasure to be part of. Would you like to see it?”

“Yes, please.” Michael was eager to see what Stacy's shows were like.

Starting up his computer and turning on the thirty-inch screen, Stacy inserted the disc and turned toward Michael. With a wink and a grin, he said, “You may even have a few surprises with this.” Stacy pressed the play button and the show started.

“Good evening ladies and gentlemen and those who are not so sure, well if you're anything like me you're a cock in a frock.” A beam lit up a stained glass window of Jesus looking down. The host turned to look. “I'm sorry JC but I have to say it as I see it and I am a cock in a frock. What else do you call a Drag Queen?” The host turned back to the audience head down, crossing himself whispering into the mic. “Follicles, testicles, wallet and watch.”

With head raised high, Stacy turned and greeted the audience with a dramatic, “Good evening! I am Miss Daisy Chain.” There was a roar of laughter with clapping, whistling and cheering as he made a perfect Princess Diana curtsy to the crowd.

The more of the show Michael watched, the more he enjoyed it. He applauded and laughed along with the audience, caught up in the atmosphere. Michael's look of astonishment when Danny, Jason and Liam came on stage was replaced with admiration and respect for the performance they gave. He noticed the show appeared to be in a church and was almost flawless. Impressed, he had many questions for Stacy.

“I'm guessing that you liked it?” Stacy asked, smiling as he put the disc away.

“Liked it! I loved it. That was brilliant! And I loved the choirboy's routine that Jason, Danny and Liam pulled off. Who's idea was that?”

“I'm not sure exactly, but the idea came from them. I just helped them polish it up a bit. We had a great time doing it.” Stacy was proud of what the boys had done and his part in it. He loved seeing Michael's reaction to the show and was equally excited to chat with him about it. “But don't praise them too much, or we'll never hear the end of it.” Stacy rolled his eyes and faced upward jokingly.

“Was that in a real church? Where and when was it?”

Stacy went on to explain all about The Boot and how it closed when the short lease ran out. The Christmas show was Jason and Danny's idea to create good memories for the guests before The Boot closed its doors. He then explained how it had re-opened eighteen months later when the developer was convinced to have a change of heart. The New Boot was fully operational, and although the first Christmas had been marred by sad events, this would be its second Christmas. It was full to capacity, but unfortunately the atmosphere there was not as good as they would like it to be.

When Michael heard about what had happened to Mitch he was saddened, how could anyone inflict such cruelty on a fellow human being just because they are homeless and be so greedy as to take what little they had. Mitch was young and a busker, some called him the guitar man. Just before The New Boot's first Christmas, Mitch had been murdered and robbed of his money and guitar. The culprits had been caught and punished, they were now serving lengthy prison sentences.

“I'd like to see The New Boot. It sounds like a great place.” Michael paused looking deep in thought. “I think something needs to be done to bring Christmas back to The New Boot.”

“I'm working a couple of shifts there midweek. I can speak to Christian and Jeff to see if it can be arranged if you want me to. It will give you a chance to meet Christian and other good friends of ours. Christian is the dark-haired one in the duo that sang Christmas pop songs in the show you just watched. He's a good caring guy who is very instrumental in the running of The Boot and The Old Shoe Factory.” Stacy patted Michael's shoulder and pulled him into a hug. “Come on, it's tea time. Let's go and find out who wants to eat. I think we will let you lads visit Harry on your own tonight. Charlie can drive you in the Focus.”

“Who's car is the Focus?”

“It's Max's old car, he hasn't got rid of it yet. I think Charlie has his mind set on buying it, but he hasn't spoken to Max about it yet. Give Charlie a nudge about it will you? Before Max sells it to someone else.”

They were all still feeling the effects of the roast beef dinner they ate earlier and decided to eat later in the evening. The apple pies remained untouched except for the slice taken to Harry earlier in the day. After a hot drink, the lads set off to visit Harry armed with a few treats and a flask of hot chocolate. Harry was cheerful and in good spirits, talking with a doctor when the lads arrived at his bedside.

“Hi Gramps, how are you feeling tonight?” Michael wanted to ask more but held back in front of the doctor.

“I'm feeling good, thank you, Michael. Dr Grayson here has had me getting out of bed and walking up and down the ward.” Harry was even sounding better.

“Yes, that's right. If your grandfather keeps this up, he can go home in the next day or two. He's making a remarkable recovery.” The doctor was confident in giving the news. “I'll leave you to enjoy your visit, and see you again tomorrow, Harry.”

“Thank you, doctor.” Harry grinned as he spoke to the lads. “I don't what I did to deserve you young men. It takes some getting used to suddenly gaining surrogate grandsons.” Harry's gaze rested on Liam in his wheelchair. “And who is this young man with the wheels?”

The next hour and a half passed quickly. Harry got to know Liam, laughing at his antics in the wheelchair and bossing the older lads. This was the best Harry had felt in a long time. The lads made him feel alive in a way that he had not felt since his son passed away, and he relished it. When Harry tried to protest at the extra treats they had brought for him, he had to accept that they would not take no for an answer. When he added today's treats to what he already had, he knew there was too much for him alone and made a decision.

Harry addressed the lads when he spoke but looked directly at Michael. “Boys, there is too much here for me alone. With your permission, I would like to do the same as a generous young man did with me. Would you mind if I shared these treats with other patients who are not as lucky as I am?”

Embarrassed, Michael could feel his face flush as he faced the floor. Charlie put his arm around Michael's shoulders and answered Harry. “Gramps, the treats are yours. You can do whatever you want with them. You don't need our permission. We already guessed you would want to do something like that, that's why we brought you so much. Is there anything particular that you would like?”

“Thank you, Charlie. I didn't want to ask, but if you could get some soft liquorice I'd appreciate it. It's one of my favourites.”

“Consider it done.” Charlie presented his fist and taught Harry how to fist bump.

When the chimes sounded to indicate visiting time was over, the lads hugged Harry goodbye and fist-bumps were exchanged. Harry shared his stash with other patients and staff while the lads made their way home. As requested, Charlie dropped Liam and Danny at the Barton's house, then continued the journey with Jason chatting away from the back seat.

“Charlie, have you spoke to my Dad about buying the Focus?” Jason knew that Spencer had told Charlie to make an arrangement with Max to buy the car. Jason also knew that Charlie had not spoken to Max yet and was trying to give him a gentle push in that direction.

“No, no, I haven't. There isn't much point. I don't have the cash to buy it, and it will take me a while to save up even when I start work. So there's not much point.” Charlie wished things were different. The Focus may not be anything special, but it was a nice car. It drove well and was in good condition.

“Yeah, but you could still speak to him,” Jason pressed.

Charlie parked the car and locked it as they walked up the drive. “Jason, drop it, please. I can't afford it, and that's the end of it.”

Max was passing through the hallway and stopped as the lads entered the house. “Who can't afford what?”

“It's nothing, Max. It's just Jason getting his wires crossed.” Charlie felt uncomfortable. He did not like lying.

“Dad, what are you doing with the Focus? You don't need it anymore, do you?” Jason was determined.

Charlie glanced down, embarrassed, and Michael glared at Jason. ”Jason, don't. Charlie said to drop it.”

“Let's go sit down and talk about it.” Max led the way into the lounge and turned off the TV as he sat next to Stacy.

“We'll leave you to your family meeting.” Charlie went to lead Michael to their room.

“Stop.” Max sounded stern and serious. Charlie and Michael stopped in their tracks. “I made a promise to you when we first met. That means you two are family too. I keep my promises, now sit.”

“But...”

“No buts, sit.” As instructed, Charlie and Michael sat on the larger of the sofas with Jason, wondering what was about to happen. “Charlie, have you still got the keys to the Focus?”

“Yes.” Charlie went to hand the keys to Max.

Max held up his hand with his palm facing Charlie. “No, don't give them to me. You need to hang on to them.” Charlie gave Max a quizzical look. “I, or rather we,” Max gestured between Stacy and himself, “have been thinking it would make sense to keep the car as it will be needed. Charlie, you need transport to get to and from work, and you lads will need transport to go and see Harry. So, if Charlie isn't working and has the time, he can take you in the car. But, I do not want anyone trying to use Charlie as a chauffeur because he isn't one. The car belongs to the business and will remain the property of the business. That way it is insured, and the business will cover all the running costs. Charlie, have you checked the oil and fuel?”

“Yes, the oil level is good, and it has half a tank of fuel.”

“Good. If you check behind the driver's sun-visor you will find a fuel card that is allocated to the car. Use it to buy oil, fuel and any other car-related product. Just make sure the garage displays the fuel card logo before you fill it up, and remember it takes diesel, not petrol. Don't worry about paying. The business covers it.”

Charlie tried to protest but Max held up his hand to stop him. “I know you will want to help Harry when he gets out of hospital, so you will be able to use it then. There may be times that the car may be needed as a backup, so it is possible there will be times you won't be able to use it. All I ask is that you look after it and keep it clean, okay?”

“I...I...I...bu...bu...”Charlie was stuck for words.

“I think my brother is trying to say thank you, Max, thank you, Stacy.” Michael was rubbing Charlie's back, trying to calm his shocked brother.

“It's okay. I understand it's a surprise. I'm sure he will be okay when it all sinks in and calms down,” Max chuckled. “We can look at things again in a few months and decide then if anything needs to change.”

“You haven't told us about your visit. How is Harry doing?” Stacy genuinely wanted to know, but he also wanted to change the subject to allow Charlie time to absorb what he had been told.

Jason wasted no time telling Max and Stacy about Harry and their visit. He didn't forget to mention that Harry could be home in the next few days. Stacy agreed to take Michael to see Harry the next afternoon as Charlie and Max would be at work, and Jason would be in college as the half-term break was over. The chatter continued over a snack and mugs of hot chocolate until it was time for bed.

The following morning, Michael awoke to find Charlie's bed empty and ready-made. When he checked, the time was after 8:00 a.m. The house was almost silent. As he made his way to the bathroom only the faint sound of the kitchen radio could be heard. After using the toilet, washing and dressing, he made his way to the kitchen for a cup of tea and to get breakfast.

Stacy was sitting at the kitchen table drinking tea when Michael entered, “Morning, Michael. There's tea in the pot if you want some. When I've finished this I'll make us some breakfast.”

“Thank you, but you don't need to go to that trouble just for me. I'm happy with a bowl of cereal.” Michael poured a mug of tea and sat at the table with Stacy.

“It's no trouble. Everything is in the oven keeping warm for us. I've only got to fry the eggs and put some toast on. Besides, I don't cook every morning. I wanted to make sure Charlie had a good start to the day, with it being the first day in his new job. You and I also have a very busy day ahead of us.”


Charlie parked up at Chorlton Service Centre for his first day at work and saw his new boss, Spencer, looking under the bonnet of a Triumph 2000 TC scratching his head. “What's up, Boss?”

Startled, Spencer jumped and stood up straight. “Nothing much, except for wondering where I'm going to get a new carburettor for this heap of junk that my Dad bought. Like he says, they don't make cars like they used to, which also means they don't make the parts for them either.”

“Is it running at all?” Charlie was looking over the car's bodywork. It looked in reasonable shape for a car of its age. The iceberg white paintwork needed T-cutting to bring it up to scratch. There appeared to be minimal bubbling of the paintwork with the tell-tale signs of rust coming through, but it could easily be remedied. The interior was in good shape, it just needed some TLC. Under the bonnet the engine compartment was relatively clean, although it was evident that some of the stress areas needed reinforcing, all expected for a car built nearly forty years ago.

“Well, it does, but it's very ropey. The engine needs a lot of attention and it's probably easier to replace the carb if we can locate one. It's Dad's pet project, he likes tinkering with these older cars. I stick to more up-to-date cars, they're easier.” Spencer sighed as he wiped his hands on an oily rag.

Charlie looked at the straight six engine with the twin carburettor on top. “You know, a service kit would be easy enough to buy on eBay, and with half a day's work, the existing carburettor would be as good as new at a fraction of the cost.”

Spencer had a questioning look on his face as he answered Charlie. “You think so, eh?”

Charlie replied quietly, thinking he had overstepped with his new boss. “Sorry, maybe I shouldn't have said anything, but yeah, I do.” Charlie swallowed nervously. “Erm, sorry. What do you want me to do, Boss. That's if you want me to stay.”

“Oh, you're staying! First, find your locker and change into the overalls I've put in it, then meet me in the office.”

Charlie soon discovered that Spencer liked his employees to speak up if they had an idea and that they would always be listened to. His first task was to source the carburettor kit and order it. He also learned he would be servicing the carburettor when the kit was delivered. For the first few days, he was paired with Joe, Spencer's dad, servicing customer's cars. Then, he would complete a rotation of duties working with other staff before working solo. Spencer encouraged him to search for and complete courses in vehicle bodywork repair before enrolling on an MOT testers course. Any downtime between jobs was allocated to helping Joe restore the Triumph.

 

Michael's day started after breakfast. After showering, he stood in front of the mirror in his and Charlie's room trying to style his hair. The more he tried, the more he became frustrated. It had grown since being cut in the summer and was now covering his ears, which irritated him. Giving up, he did the best he could before dressing and returning to the kitchen where Stacy was waiting for him.

As it was just the two of them, Stacy chose to use the Capri. Knowing how his brother would react, Michael decided to tease Charlie about it later in the day. Their first stop was to check on Harry's house. Everything was as they had left it, so after a light dusting they locked up. They didn't have to go far to their next stop. They went next door to collect Missy and took her for a long walk and play in the park which she enjoyed. After dropping Missy back at Janice's house, they got into the Capri for the short drive to Chorlton.

They made several stops in Chorlton. Chorlton Locksmiths Ltd, where Stacy had keys cut and purchased two keyrings, one with a miniature classic Mini attached, the other had a chromed treble clef attached. Handing Michael the one with the treble clef, Stacy told him the other was for Charlie. Astonished at the level of trust being given, Michael slid the key and chain into his pocket promising to look after it with the utmost care. The next stop was Unicorn Grocery, a worker's cooperative that specialised in organic and whole foods. They purchased a range of fresh fruit, vegetables, cheese and butter.

Michael smiled when he spotted a basket full of apples at the door. It was the note attached to the basket that made him smile, 'If you are shopping with kids please take a free apple for them'. When the groceries were paid for, Michael helped Stacy load them into the car. Then they left for the last stop, Chorlton Meat Market. Being a high street butcher, none of the meat was pre-packaged. Stacy chose which cuts of meat he wanted. He also purchased fresh poultry and copious amounts of the varieties of fresh sausages made on the premises. Stacy informed Michael that they made the best sausages money could buy and had won awards for them. As usual, Stacy bought meat he would carefully wrap and freeze when they arrived home. Stacy also spoke to Stephan, the butcher's son, placing an order for two large ducks and a large ham joint. They would be ready to collect two days before Christmas. All that was left to do was go home, unload the shopping and put it away, which they did.

Michael sat at the kitchen table with a mug of coffee. He felt tired from the morning's activities, and his hair irritated him. He scratched his head and around his ears, sighing.

Stacy took a sip from his mug of tea and placed it on the table. Showing his concern, he asked, “Michael, are you feeling okay? You look a little tired and irritated.”

“I'm okay. It's just my hair, it's doing my head in.” Michael scratched his head again in frustration.

“I'll tell you what. Let's have a light lunch, then I have an idea that might help you feel more comfortable.” Stacy had a plan forming. “After that, we can go see Harry. How does that sound?”

Michael turned to Stacy, gave a wry smile and nodded. He wanted to protest, but in the short time Michael had known Stacy, he knew not to argue with the man. Once his mind was made up about something there was no changing it.

The afternoon passed quickly for Michael and Stacy. It started in a small Italian bistro in Didsbury, where they chatted over a light lunch of spaghetti carbonara and warm ciabatta bread smeared with garlic-flavoured olive oil and sprinkled with fresh parsley. Michael spoke more to Stacy about his dream of taking to the stage professionally. When Stacy paid the bill, he ordered an identical lunch to take away, arranging to pick it up after their next stop.

Stacy then led the way to the aptly named Gents Hairdressers, just off the main high street in Didsbury. That's what it is, so that's what the proprietor named it. Michael was treated to a shampoo and head massage, followed by having his hair cut and styled including a few blonde highlights. Michael chose a style from the display photos. His hair was close cut on the sides and back, graduating to about two inches long on top with a side parting and flicked back. Stacy thought it reminded him a little of James Dean when he first started in films. After leaving the hairdresser's, they collected the pre-ordered food to take to Harry.

Harry appeared to be having a nap when they entered the ward. As they approached his bed, the eyes of other patients were following them, and the smell of the food woke Harry up. Even the nursing staff came to investigate the enticing aroma. They wanted to know what Harry was being spoiled with today. Michael laid out the spaghetti carbonara, complete with a plastic fork, and the garlic-laced ciabatta bread in front of Harry. Harry closed his eyes and inhaled the aroma before tucking in. Michael also placed the requested bags of soft liquorice next to the meal. The nurses, happy for Harry but also slightly envious, retreated back to the nursing station.

The conversation was light and full of humour while Harry enjoyed the meal. Michael blushed when Harry complimented his new look, saying he had the look of a film or pop star. Michael was oblivious to the admiring looks he was receiving from the young nurses. Toward the end of the visit, Dr Grayson came to see Harry. At Harry's insistence, Michael and Stacy stayed to hear what the doctor had to say.

The conversation with the doctor went well. If Harry could walk the length of the ward twice unaided and without becoming short of breath, he could go home the following day provided he had someone to take care of him, at least temporarily. Harry was delighted and couldn't wait to get on his feet, he didn't think he needed a carer to look after him.

Although a little unsteady at first, Harry completed the walk feeling slightly tired, but he wasn't breathless. Feeling assured, the doctor gave the green light for Harry's discharge the following day. Harry was told that he would be given a week's supply of medication that he must take, advising him to make an appointment with his GP for repeat prescriptions of the medication. He would also be given a letter with the details for making a follow-up appointment with the hospital. With the news of Harry's impending discharge, Michael and Stacy arranged to collect suitable clothing for Harry and to pick him up from the hospital the following day.


Arriving home, Michael and Stacy were greeted by Jason and Danny. They had finished college for the day and were busy preparing the evening meal. They had decided on something simple but tasty and filling, cottage pie. Jason fried off onions and beef mince while Danny peeled and diced the vegetables.

Michael entered the kitchen and inhaled. “Mmmm, something smells good.”

“It does, doesn't it.” Stacy went to stand next to Jason. “Cottage pie?” Jason nodded. “Thank you, that's thoughtful of you boys. And Michael is right, it smells delicious.”

“How's Gramps?” Jason asked while spooning the meat and onion mixture into a saucepan half filled with stock.

“He's being discharged tomorrow. Me and Stacy are picking him up at lunchtime.” Michael was eager to share the news. Stacy shook his head tutting at the poor use of English.

“Oh, Michael, while I think about it, I've got something in my bag you might be interested in. I remember you telling us what you were studying, so I picked up some leaflets and other info for you.” Danny ran off to retrieve his bag. Handing over the wad of information, Danny continued. “I hope you don't mind me doing this, but I think you should at least consider it. You could get a part-time job.”

“I appreciate the thought, but it's not practical. I need a full-time job. When me and Charlie get our own place, we need to be able to pay our way.” Michael did appreciate the thought behind Danny's actions but was trying to be practical.

“Well, there's no harm in looking at the literature that Danny picked up. Let's see what he's brought home.” Stacy did not want Michael to give up his dream. Maybe Danny was right. A part-time job and college could be a good idea. “You know Michael, I think you should do what Charlie did. Contact your last college and speak to your course advisor. Maybe they can send you copies of any certificates you have been awarded and advise you on the best way forward. You have nothing to lose, but possibly a lot to gain.”

“Yeah, I s'pose.” Michael sounded resigned and brow-beaten.

“Michael, I don't want you to feel forced into anything. I just want you to consider all of your options. Charlie tells me that you have a lot of talent and that it's something you enjoy. Don't give up on your dreams. I want you to be happy.” Stacy pulled Michael into a hug trying to instil some hope.

Jason tried to give Michael some encouragement. “You know, If you decide to take up one of the performing arts courses, you will be on the same campus as us. Our computer courses are on the central campus too, so we might be able to travel and have lunch together. What could be better than seeing our gorgeous faces around on campus?”

“Oh god, I think I'm gonna barf.” Michael faked vomiting causing everyone to laugh.

“Okay, you two jokers finish the cooking.” Stacy indicated to Jason and Danny. “Michael, why don't we talk more in my studio.”

Stacy sat on his desk and gave Michael his full attention. “You know I've heard you humming a few tunes since leaving the hospital, but I haven't heard you sing. Do you feel up to loosening your vocal cords and letting me hear you sing something?”

“After watching you on that DVD I'm not sure I'm that good.” Michael felt embarrassed.

“Oh honey, you should never sell yourself short. Look at me, I'm not exactly Tina Turner am I? But I belt it out and give it my all, and make a decent living out of it. I'm confident that you have it in you too, and I'm sure you are better than you think. Maybe we could sing something together once you've loosened up a bit.” Stacy encouraged.

“I'll try.”

“That's all I ask of you. I have a huge bank of music scores on the computer, so if you type in a song title, hopefully, it will cue up ready for you.”

“You said we would sing together.”

“We will. But first, I want to know what I have to live up to.” Stacy smiled encouragingly.

Michael paused to think, after a few moments, he typed “The Wind Beneath My Wings.” After a few seconds, the song was cued, ready to play Bette Midler's version from Beaches. After a few deep breaths and vocal exercises taught at the college in Burnley, Michael stood. He took a few more deep breaths and pressed the play button, then closed his eyes and sang.

Unknown to Michael and Stacy, the studio door was not fully closed. As Michael started to sing, Danny and Jason heard the singing and crept into the hall outside the studio to listen. Halfway through the song, Charlie and Max come home from work. On hearing the singing, they too, stood quietly in the hall and listened.

Michael was completely lost in the song and gave it his all. Tears streamed down his cheeks as he sang his heart out. When Michael sang the last line he sank to his knees sobbing. Stacy was in awe of Michael's performance, and his heart went out to Michael as he could tell that the song had a special meaning. Danny, Jason, Max and Stacy quietly clapped as Charlie went to his brother, held him tight and cried too.

“That was awesome.” Jason croaked. He was touched by the emotional performance.

“It certainly was, but Michael, why did you sing that song if it makes you so emotional?” Stacy asked with concern.

“I...I tried to sing it for my m...mum at her f...funeral, but I couldn't. That was the last time I sang. I said I'd never sing again unless I could sing it for her.” Michael was tearfully clinging to his brother.

“You just did, Michael. You just did. And Mum would be proud of you. It was beautiful.” Charlie clung to his younger brother and kissed him on the top of his head.

The emotion in the air didn't miss anybody, even Max had tears in his eyes as Danny spoke through his tears. “I believe that your mum is looking down on you and smiling. She is proud of you Mikey, and she wants you to carry on singing.”

Michael stared at Danny with a look of understanding. “I will, but not tonight. Unless, unless Stacy will sing something more cheerful with me.”

“Done. That is if you think I'm good enough to accompany you.”

Michael wiped his face and stood up, smiling at Stacy he said. “Yeah, I think you'll do.”

The offhand comment elicited a short bout of laughter from everyone. Stacy went to the computer and started typing. After a few hmm's and aah's while rejecting what came up on the screen, he settled on one.

“What do you think about this one?” Stacy asked Michael.

“I can do that. We performed the stage musical at college.”

“Shall we?”

“Yep, let's do it.”

“Give me two minutes.” Stacy left the studio for his dressing room and re-entered wearing a blond permed wig. “Hit it.”

When the music started the small audience clapped and Michael and Stacy went into character. They didn't just sing. They performed, “You're The One That I Want” from Grease. It was an energetic performance that left their small audience speechless. Stacy and Michael, or was it Sandy and Danny, were enjoying themselves and left everyone smiling. At the end of the performance, there was a round of applause from their small audience and boisterous whistles from Danny and Jason.

When the excitement died down, Max sniffed the air and spoke up. “Something smells good. What are we having?”

“Cottage pie made by my fair, oof... sorry, our fair hands.” Jason rubbed his side where Danny had just nudged him. “It will be ready in about ten minutes.”

“Make it fifteen. Charlie and I need to shower.” Max sprinted up the stairs to the master bedroom to use the en-suite. Charlie followed to use the family bathroom.

Twenty minutes later, the sound of happy chatter could be heard around the kitchen table as everyone talked about their day and tucked in a delicious meal. “Who's coming with me to visit Gramps?” Charlie asked.

“Me.” Chorused Danny, Jason and Michael.

“Good. I've got the liquorice that Gramps asked for. I could only get two bags though.” Charlie was disappointed, he had wanted to get more.

“I gave him two bags this afternoon, so I'm sure he'll be happy.” Michael was upbeat.

“And there's a healthy portion of cottage pie for him. It's keeping warm in the oven. I'll pack it up before we leave.” Jason contributed.

“Oh, by the way, as there was nothing on-site for them to do, I let Billy and George go to Harry's this afternoon to tidy up the garden and drop off the kennel they built for Missy. Remember boys, you're not to say anything to Harry. It's meant to be a surprise.” Max was proud of his staff for being a caring bunch of men.

Everyone around the table nodded their agreement and acknowledged Max's news.

The rest of the evening passed peacefully. Max and Stacy cuddled together on the sofa to watch a film. Barely a word was spoken as they were both deep in thought. The lads visited Harry, who was happy to see them and grateful for the tasty food and treats he later shared with other patients. When they returned home, they sat around the kitchen table, quietly chatting and enjoying a drink of hot chocolate before going to bed. Danny and Jason had college the following day, Charlie was due back at work, and Michael would have another busy day helping Stacy with the preparations for Harry to return to his home. Shortly after the lads had gone to bed, Max and Stacy followed suit. They both would have a busy day ahead of them, Max at work while Stacy, with Michael's help, would look after Harry's interests.

I hope you took notice of the tissue warning at the start of the chapter, lol.
I hope you are all continuing to enjoy What Happened To The Baxter Boys. I'd love to hear from you to tell me your thoughts, all reactions and comments are welcome and I promise to read, acknowledge and reply to all comments.
Chapter 9 will be posted on Friday.
Thank you to @raven1 for all of your hard work editing and beta reading helping and supporting me in the writing of this story.
Copyright © 2023 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 37
  • Fingers Crossed 1
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



9 hours ago, Ajbt2001 said:

Hey, that's how we roll. If authors, editors, and readers don't support each other, the comment sections would totally suck. :gikkle: We all know the drama of having to train good suckers these days. :rofl:

 

The training sometimes sucks the life out of you. :gikkle:

  • Haha 4
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..