Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 5,468 Words
  • 1,374 Views
  • 53 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Charlie and Michael Baxter lost their father at a young age. They have been brought up by a hard-working mother who loved and treasured her boys. Unfortunately, she passed away before they finished college and through no fault of their own, they found themselves homeless. This is their story.

What Happened To The Baxter Boys - 12. Chapter 12

Saturday was one of those cold, non-descript, dull, November days that nobody looked forward to, but everybody wished away.

After breakfast, Charlie cleaned the Ford Focus., inside and out. Then he removed the cover from Harry's Mini to inspect it and assess its condition and what work would be needed to make it roadworthy. Charlie was confident, knowing he could ask Joe or Spencer for advice when it was needed. Michael made sure the housework was done, and Missy was taken for her regular walks. Harry did his part by keeping them supplied with hot drinks and sandwiches and preparing a hearty stew for them to share before the lads went out that evening.

 

Brad was hard at work in The Recycle Shop. Because of the cold weather, he and his staff were busy selling warm winter coats, hats, gloves and scarves, hot water bottles and duvets. Aunt May's special vouchers were the currency for much of it. Brad arranged for his assistant manager to lock up as he planned to leave early that day, although he was delayed by about half an hour because they were so busy. He left hoping they could replenish the winter stocks quickly as they had been hard hit.

 

The start of the day in the Robins' household was a family affair as they all pitched in tidying up the house. When that was completed they had their separate tasks to occupy them.

Max caught up on paperwork for the business. He was happy with the business's progress since working on The Old Shoe Factory project. He was now deciding on the size of the Christmas Bonus he would pay his staff.

Stacy spent his time in the kitchen preparing food that could be warmed after they returned from the fireworks display. He decided on baked potatoes by precooking them to be reheated in the microwave and chilli, which he could leave to cook in the slow cooker. His thoughts kept drifting between organising Charlie's birthday celebrations and who to contact. A chat with Brad was planned for later in the day.

Jason's priorities were making sure he had clean clothes for college the following week, tidying his bedroom and playing NFS on his PS4, in that order. Naturally, he enrolled Danny to help. Liam begged some pipe lagging from Max to add to his crutches as extra padding. They were okay for short periods but needed extra padding underneath his arms for long periods like the night they were expecting. He was trying to avoid the soreness he had experienced on previous occasions. Then he insisted on having his turn on the PS4.

 

Daylight was fading when Charlie sat down with Harry to give him the news about the Mini. Overall, the bodywork was in reasonable condition. Rust was starting to come through in a couple of places, Charlie assured Harry they could easily be remedied with a bit of hard work and treating the metal before being repainted. The suspension was in good working order and did not need any work. The clutch and handbrake cables needed to be replaced, as did the brake pipes. The brake master cylinder and wheel cylinders needed to be stripped and rebuilt with new service kits. Charlie recommended the same for the carburettor. All the filters, air, fuel and oil needed to be replaced. The rubber hoses for the cooling system also needed replacing. The engine was a nonstarter, but Charlie felt that it would run again with work, advising that the timing chain and piston rings probably needed replacing. He would know more about the engine when he could strip it down to inspect it properly.

By the time Charlie finished telling Harry what needed to be done to restore the car, Harry looked very downhearted. “So, what you're saying really is that it's a scrap heap and a waste of money.”

Charlie's answer came quickly. “No. No, that's not what I'm saying, Gramps. Yes, it will take a lot of work, and it really needs to be stored somewhere better than on the drive, but it is worth doing.”

“Really?” Harry sounded unsure. “But it sounds like it will cost a lot of money and a lot of time.”

“Gramps, I'm not sure that you know what you really have sat out there on the drive. Tell me, how much did you pay for it?” Charlie was excited and wanted to work on the car. He desperately wanted to see it running again.

“The receipt should be with the log book. If I remember right, it was £250.00.” Harry got up and looked in the hidden drawer. “Here it is. Yes, I'm right, £250.00. Why?”

“Sit down, Gramps. I don't want you standing when I tell you.” Charlie waited until Harry was seated. “It may cost over £2000.00 to restore and get it running.”

Michael had been quietly listening to the conversation but decided to join in. “That's a lot of money to spend on an old car.”

“Yes, it is. But before I go any further. Michael, where did you put that bottle of Johnny Walkers you found when cleaning up?” Charlie asked.

"It's in the sideboard, why?” Michael was puzzled.

“Would you pour a small one for Gramps, please? He might need it.” Michael did as asked and handed Harry a small shot of whisky. “Gramps, the mini you have is a 1964 Mini Cooper S. When it is restored and running, I would value it at a minimum of £30,000.00. It could be worth more. If it is looked after, it will only increase in value.” Charlie had a huge smile on his face while looking at Harry, who appeared to be shocked. Michael was speechless.

After taking a sip of the whisky, Harry coughed and then spoke up. “You're kidding me, aren't you? It couldn't be worth that that much, surely?”

“Nope, I'm not kidding.” Charlie paused as Harry took another sip of whisky. “Like I said, it could be worth more. If you want me to, next week when I'm back at work, I can ask Joe to have a look and give you his opinion.”

Harry took another sip of whisky. “Yes, I think you should.” Harry sounded drained. It was as if the news had knocked the air from his lungs.

A few moments later, Harry regained his breath and finished the last of the whisky. “Right, I think you two should start getting ready to go out. I've got a meal to finish cooking.” Harry stood to go into the kitchen to stir and check on the stew that had been simmering all day.

Harry was pleased with himself. After living off tinned soup, sandwiches and ready meals, this was the first proper meal he had cooked since Doris passed away. He hadn't felt inclined to cook before, but now he had the boys and a reason to cook. Harry reached into the cupboard for the jar of mixed herbs, the self-raising flour, suet and baking powder. He thoroughly mixed the dry ingredients and added just enough water to bind them. With flour-covered hands, Harry made twelve round balls slightly larger than a golf ball. After cleaning his hands, Harry lowered the uncooked herby dumplings into the simmering stew, covering the pan he left them to cook in the gravy of the stew, for twenty-five minutes.

Charlie and Michael were on their way downstairs when they heard Brad knocking on the front door. Charlie opened the door to welcome him. After exchanging a few short kisses, Charlie led Brad to the lounge, where they all sat and chatted excitedly about the evening ahead. Harry was in the kitchen, checking on the stew and was pleased that the dumplings had cooked, swelling to twice their original size. There would be enough to go around and still leave a healthy amount for later.

After they all enjoyed a large bowlful of stew and dumplings, Harry was complimented on a tasty and filling meal. Brad, who was more used to living off takeaways and ready meals was still thanking Harry when Jason called to say they were on the way to Harry's to meet them before going on to the firework display. Knowing they would be leaving in a few minutes, Charlie and Michael put on their coats, choosing to wear the parkas they got from The Recycle Shop.

Harry sidelined them as they were coming back down the stairs. “Are you two ready to have a good night out?”

“You bet, Gramps. It's going to be a boss night.” Charlie was full of enthusiasm.

Harry looked at the lads quizzically. “I'm not sure I know exactly what that means, but I'm going to guess that it means something like good. I want you both to take this. I'm sure it will help you enjoy the fair.” As Harry said this, he handed them a twenty-pound note each.

“No, Gramps, you can't do that.” Michael protested.

Harry stood in front of the lads, holding out the money. “Yes, I can do it. Besides, it's not much, but I’m determined to make sure you enjoy the evening. I know you don't have a lot so this will help you have more fun. Take it.”

Charlie tried to argue. “No, Gramps. Michael is right you can't do this. We can't take your pension.”

Shallow furrows appeared on Harry's brow as he took on a stern look. “You are not 'taking' it, so to speak. I am giving it, and there is a difference. It's not like I can't afford it. I have my pension from the brewery and my state pension, so I'm comfortable enough. Now put this in your pockets, and let's hear no more about it.”

Reluctantly but appreciatively, they accepted the money and added it to their pockets. Both hugged Harry in turn and whispered, “Thank you,” in his ear.

At that moment, Max pulled up outside in his BMW, honking the horn, and Janice could be heard laughing as she walked across the driveways between the houses. Brad called the lads to hurry up, and they all went out to the cars.

After the lads greeted each other, there was a bit of a shuffle of passengers. Michael sat with Liam in the back of Max's BMW, while Danny and Jason joined Brad and Charlie in the Astra. Out of sight of parental eyes, Danny and Jason felt more comfortable sharing a passionate smooch on the back seat of the Astra.

“Just remember you two, we are still sat in the front and if you make a mess, you are cleaning it up!” Brad laughed as he spoke.

The unified response was, “Ew!” From the back seat.

Janice arrived, letting herself in through the unlocked backdoor, locking it behind her. After placing a four-pack of Guinness in the fridge for Harry and a bottle of wine for herself, she went to the lounge carrying a few light nibbles for later in the evening.

Janice was greeted by Missy as she came through from the kitchen. “Hello, sweetheart,” Janice said as she petted Missy. “Don't worry, I haven't forgotten you. I've got treats for you, too.” Missy went to settle next to Harry.

Harry was in good spirits and decided to be playful. “Oh, Janice dear, I didn't know you cared. Had I known, I'd have saved myself just for you.”

“Behave you old bugger! You know you're too young for me.” Was Janice's light-hearted retort.

Their friendship was one of longstanding, which showed as they chatted and laughed while they decided what to watch on TV while they enjoyed a drink and each other's company.

 

Max led the way to Platt Fields Park, with Brad following. The fifteen-minute journey felt shorter due to the excitement in both cars. Danny and Jason enjoyed their almost private smooch while Liam and Michael got to know each other better.

Michael was deep in thought when he spoke to Liam. “You know, it still doesn't feel real. You know, being on the streets and then Max getting me to the hospital. And now, I'm looking after a man I call Gramps, who I've gotten fond of. And you and Danny and Jason being my friends. I still keep thinking, I'm going to wake up under a bridge somewhere and find it's all just a dream.”

Max and Stacy quietly chatted between themselves while listening to the conversation taking place in the back seat.

Liam gave Michael's hand a friendly squeeze. “I know what you mean. Three years ago, I lay in a hospital bed, an orphan, my parents dead, and my legs just as dead. I wished I was dead, too. But the doctors and the social worker wouldn't give up. I did, but they didn't. Then one day I met Kate and Steve, my mum and dad. I wished they would go away and leave me alone, but they wouldn't and brought Danny, my brother, in to see me. I wanted them to give up, but they wouldn't and now look at me. My mum and dad are something very special. They adopted Danny and now me. I sometimes wake up at night and pinch myself just to make sure it's not a dream. But it's real. I have a mum and dad and a brother who love me, no matter what, and I love them too. So believe me when I tell you it's not a dream, it's real. And Uncle Max and Uncle Stacy are the best uncles anyone could wish for. Jason is a great friend and the nearest I have to a cousin, and even though he can be a pain sometimes, I still love him.”

There were tears in all eyes in the car when Michael spoke again. “You've had it rough, really rough. You deserve the happiness you have, but me...”

“Don't go there.” Liam butted in. “You've had it rough too, a different rough, but rough. Wait till you meet the rest of the gang. You'll love 'em. The Major to me is like Gramps is to you. I even call him Gramps sometimes. He's like a grandad to all of us. Except for Ian and Kevin, he's more like a dad to them.” Michael almost didn't hear their names until Liam carried on speaking. “He got Christian to get them off the streets and living rough, then they did the same to him. When they got back from Israel a few months back with their wards, I don't know why they call them that they're like sons really. He became Grandad Ox to Benjamin and Joseph. he...”

“Wait! Who did you say?” Michael's voice was so shrill everyone nearly jumped out of their skin.

When Stacy faced the back seat, and spoke he explained that, yes, it was the same Ian and Kevin. Stacy then went on to explain they didn't know that Michael had applied to them for a job as they had kept quiet about expanding their business. Stacy only found out when Ian phoned for a reference. This bit of news lifted the atmosphere in the car from sombre to excited in a nano-second. Before they arrived at Platt Fields Park, they were all laughing and joking.

It did not surprise them that the limited parking spaces were all full, and they embarked on seeking out parking on one of the local streets. Luckily, they were able to find adequate parking for both cars within a five-minute walk of the park.

With Liam given a piggyback by Max, they made their way as quickly as possible among the crowds to the park. At the park entrance, Liam was set down on his feet by Max and took his crutches from Stacy. Feeling the benefit of the added padding under his arms, he set off with everyone else into the park, only to be stopped by one of the event stewards.

Liam was approached by the young steward telling him. “I'm sorry kid, you can't bring those into the park tonight. If you can't walk, then you will have to go home.”

“What!” Liam couldn't believe his ears. “What do you mean I can't go in!”

“Like I said, if you can't walk, you can't go in.” The steward appeared to be smirking as he repeated himself.

Jason and Danny tried to protest to the steward, who stood his ground and made a move to grab Liam's crutches. Michael and Charlie blocked his way while Brad went to get Max and Stacy, who had gone ahead. Within two minutes, Max and Stacy were at Liam's side, just in time to see the steward make another attempt to grab at Liam's crutches, causing Danny and Jason to go ballistic at the steward and attracting a lot of attention from the passing crowd.

“STOP!” Bellowed Max, attracting more attention from passers-by and the steward's supervisor.

The supervisor hurried over. “What seems to be the problem here?”

With a crowd gathering to see what was going on, the lads and the steward all started speaking at the same time, which frustrated Max and the supervisor.

Max raised his voice again.”Quiet. One at a time, or we can't hear a word anyone says.” Turning to Liam, he continued. “What's the problem?”

The steward butted in. “He can't bring those in here,” He pointed at Liam's crutches. “They are offensive weapons and must be handed over. He and his thug friends are barred from entering.”

“You're the thug, you asshole!” Someone in the crowd shouted.

The supervisor quickly got other stewards to move the crowd on.

Max was angry. Even Stacy had never seen Max this angry. He got right in the face of the steward, mere inches from his nose. “Listen to me, you little prick. That 'thug', as you call him, is my nephew. He has a disability, which is why he has crutches, and he is here with his brother, other family, and friends to enjoy a night out at the fair and watch the fireworks display. And he is going to do just that.”

“If you make another attempt to assault him or try to take his crutches, I will tear you limb from fucking limb. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR? ANSWER ME, YOU LITTLE SHIT, SIMPLY NOD OR SAY YES SIR, THEN FUCK OFF, OUT OF MY SIGHT!”

Max had started by speaking quietly, but as his anger rose, so did his voice. This behaviour was completely out of character for Max. But the young, inexperienced steward's foolish actions nearly pushed Max over the edge.

The young steward, having paled in colour, simply nodded and looked to his approaching supervisor, pleading with his eyes for protection.

Cautiously, the supervisor spoke to Max. “Please sir, I fully understand your anger, and I respectfully ask for you to calm down. The St John's Ambulance paramedic saw everything that happened and has made me fully aware of the facts. I assure you that you, your nephew and his companions are welcome to continue. If it is of any help, St John's Ambulance staff have offered to loan you one of their wheelchairs now or at any point during the evening. I give my personal assurance that I will take measures to ensure this does not happen again.”

Max stood back, grimacing at the steward, before turning to face the supervisor. Calmly, he offered his hand and said, “Thank you.” He also apologised to the supervisor for his reaction to the perceived threat to Liam.

Max, Stacy and the lads continued into the park, trying to cheer Liam up. Their first stop was to purchase tickets for the rides. The last they saw of the steward, he was being escorted away by other stewards who did not look impressed.

“Hey, Liam. If you want, I can give you a piggy-back for a while. I'll happily give you a ride.” Charlie blushed, suddenly realising the double meaning of what had been said when the others started snickering. “Oi, you lot, not that sort of ride, you perverts.” Then, he joined in the laughter himself.

When the penny dropped, Liam nearly choked but decided to make light of the offer. “Thank you for the offer, Charlie. I'm flattered, but I don't want to come in between you and Brad.” As soon as the words left his mouth, he realised his own faux pas and blushed while the snickering and laughter continued.

While the lads were joking, Stacy was calming Max by gently rubbing his back. “Take a few deep breaths, hun, that's it. I promise you will feel better for it, and it will help you calm down.”

Max had tears in his eyes when he faced Stacy. “I'm sorry babe. I promised myself years ago that you never see that in me. I saw enough of it from my dad when I was a boy. I let the boys down, I let you down. I'm so sorry.”

Stacy reached up and wiped away Max's tears. “You haven't let anybody down. You're the biggest softy I know. I'll admit you did have me worried for a moment, but I know you. You were like a ferocious momma bear protecting her cubs, and Liam is the most vulnerable of them. That's nothing to be sorry for. We can talk more later if you want, but for now, let's take our cubs and have a good night out.” Stacy smiled when Max nodded, and they followed the lads to the fairground.

If anyone was offended by the outward show of affection between the two men, they did not show it. Maybe they did not want to get on the bad side of the giant of a man who earlier had an outburst that shocked and surprised many onlookers.

The first ride Liam wanted to go on was the Ferris wheel. He thought he was being refused the ride when the young man collecting the tickets would not take his ride ticket. Then the young man lifted up his trouser leg and knocked on his prosthetic, saying, “We gotta stick tagevver, Bro.” Liam smiled, and they fist-bumped. He admired the young man for not letting his disability hold him back. A life on the fair is not an easy life, and a disability would only make it a tougher challenge. It put him in mind of his other 'Gramps', The Major, who learned to walk again after his legs had been severely injured. Liam knew then it would be a good night.

The smile stayed on Liam's face all night. Even when he decided to ride the ghost train, the roller coaster and the twister. It is fair to say they all enjoyed themselves on the rides, which also included a helter-skelter, chair o' plane, dodge 'ems, the waltzer, paratrooper, slides and carousel. Liam was disappointed that he couldn't go in the fun house, but as was pointed out, the moving floors would be too much for him to cope with. He didn't dwell on his disappointment or allow it to stop anyone else from enjoying the funhouse. They split into two groups and took turns playing the fairground games with Liam and going to the funhouse.

They all had a whale of a time and lots of laughs playing hoopla and hook a duck, where they won a few small prizes of cuddly toys and pocket money toys. With Stacy and Max’s permission, the boys gave away their prizes to children around them. The look of delight on the children's faces banished Liam's disappointment at not going into the funhouse. He felt on top of the world. Max managed to win a couple of coconuts on the coconut shy, but Stacy surprised them on the firing range. Firing pellets at the tin ducks on the range, he had a couple of tries, not doing well, but then he mastered it and was getting near-perfect scores on every go. After winning three major prizes, the game attendant asked him 'to give others a chance'. It was their polite way of saying, 'You've won enough, please stop playing'.

They walked away from the stall with Max carrying two huge teddies and Stacy placing a crisp £20 note in his wallet when Michael laughingly commented. “That was brilliant. Was you a marksman in a previous life?”

Liam quickly fired back with, “Nah, he's a retired Mafia hitman.” Which had them all roaring with laughter.

The evening had started early and it had been a very full two hours, and none felt it more than Liam. The extra padding on his crutches had helped a lot, but now his arms were tired. As they started to make their way over to the boating lake where the fireworks display was due to start, they were approached by a steward who had been keeping a discrete watch on them from a distance. After a brief conversation with Max, the steward used his radio to call his base. A few minutes later, they were met by the St John Ambulance paramedic from earlier. He brought a wheelchair for Liam to use and insisted on accompanying them to the fireworks display with an ambulance trailing behind.

The display was arranged with the boating lake being a natural barrier, separating the viewing area from where the fireworks were set up. The paramedic led them to a viewing area sectioned off for those with disabilities. It was less crowded and gave them a good view of the display.

The display was preceded by an announcement made via strategically placed speakers informing the crowd that the display would be accompanied by a narrative and music from Jeff Wayne's, 'War Of The Worlds' and included some aerial pyrotechnics. The announcement had Max squealing with delight, reacting like a little kid.

The opening to the display was a loud 'whirring' sound, similar to a helicopter engine, coming from the speakers, followed by bright green streaks magically appearing in the sky, lighting up the display ground with a bright green glow. This was followed by 'Ullah” emanating from the speakers, accompanied by blue streaks from the ground meeting in the sky, exploding and releasing a huge array of red sparks. At one point, a depiction of the battleship Thunderchild sinking was illuminated in LED lights as rockets exploded above it. The display continued with a well-planned multi-coloured display of ground-based fireworks and rockets accompanied by music and narrative and Max's child-like delighted squeals. The hour-long display concluded with the final narrative accompanied by rockets and further green streaks released from the sky, bathing the ground with a bright green glow.

Still in awe and impressed by the display, the crowd dispersed. Some returned to the fairground while those with young children started their way to their respective homes. Stacy and Max, still full of childish excitement, suggested that their party return to their house for hot drinks and snacks. Although they didn't see the girls from The New Boot, they had a great night out and enjoyed every moment.

Arriving at the house, Stacy surreptitiously whisked Brad away on the pretext of needing his help in the kitchen. On their own in the kitchen, Stacy broached the subject of Charlie's twenty-first birthday with Brad. Stacy was planning a small, quiet gathering to celebrate Charlie's birthday and wanted Brad to help get Charlie to the party planned for the following Friday night.

Brad gave it some thought before replying. “I like it, and I'll do what I can to help, but.”

“But?” Stacy asked slightly alarmed. “But what? Do you think it will cause a problem?”

“No, not a problem. But I was wondering, is there room to expand your idea slightly?” Brad remembered something that Stacy did not know.

Stacy had a puzzled look about him. “It's possible, why? Had you got something planned?”

Brad was still letting it sink in that it was Charlie's birthday. “Nothing planned. I didn't know it was Charlie's birthday. I was thinking of talking to Charlie about Michael's birthday. I noticed when doing Michael's CV that his birthday is a week on Monday. As nothing had been said, I wanted to ask Charlie if they had planned anything.”

Stacy's face was a picture of shock. “Easily done. But the pair of buggers, neither of them said anything to anyone, and their birthdays were only days apart. Well, if they expected their birthdays to pass quietly and unnoticed, they had better think again. I'll need your number so we can stay in touch. I'll organize everything and keep you informed, just, just, keep it to yourself.”

Stacy started to reheat the baked potatoes he'd put in the oven earlier and checked the chilli in the slow cooker before retrieving pre-grated cheese from the fridge.

“Brad, would you ask them to come through, please? We can all eat in the kitchen.” Stacy retrieved plates and cutlery, placing them on the table, ready for everyone to help themselves.

Brad returned, pushing Liam in his wheelchair and positioned him at the table, followed by Max and the lads. Everybody was still keyed up following the night out and happily tucked into the food, helping themselves. Michael made a plate for Liam with his preferences while filling a plate for himself.

Stacy poured Max and himself a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon and offered Brad, Charlie and Michael a glass. They declined and opted for the hot chocolate being made by Jason. The next hour was filled with laughs and chatter about the evening while they ate the welcome food.

At just after ten-thirty, Liam was the first to signal the end of the day. It had been a tiring and strenuous day for him, and his eyelids felt heavy as he tried to fight off sleep. Saying goodnight to everyone, he allowed Max to carry him to bed. Feeling tired themselves, Danny and Jason followed them upstairs.

Soon after Brad announced, “If you will excuse me, I need to make a move too, plus I don't want Gramps to be disturbed when I drop Charlie and Michael off. I've had a great night. Thank you for including me.”

“It's been a pleasure, Brad. You're always welcome. You get these boys home so we don't upset Harry and get yourself off to bed. You must be tired after working all day and being on your feet all night. Good night, hun, and drive careful.” Stacy then faced the lads. “I hope you enjoyed yourselves tonight we've enjoyed your company. We will have to do something again soon. Give Harry my love, and don't forget to thank Brad properly for driving you.” Stacy winked at Charlie as he said this.

After saying their goodbyes, Brad, Charlie and Michael got in the Astra and left, heading to Harry's.

When they parked outside Harry's house, Michael thanked Brad and said goodnight, then left Charlie and Brad alone to say goodnight in private. When Michael let himself in, he was met by Missy who was eager to welcome him. He could hear Harry and Janice chatting in the lounge. After hanging his coat up, he joined them in conversation.

It was about ten minutes later when Charlie let himself in. Michael smiled. He could tell from the redder than usual and slightly puffy lips that Brad and Charlie had a goodnight smooch in the car. As Stacy would say, Charlie said a proper thank you and goodnight to Brad.

Janice picked up her glass and took the last swallow of wine. “Now you're both home, it's time for me to go. I hope you had a good night and enjoyed yourselves, lads. Remember, I'm only next door, and I'll keep popping in. Goodnight, boys.” And give them both a gentle kiss on the cheek.

Turning to Harry, she said. “Remember what we talked about tonight, and you get a good rest. Look after these boys, and let them look after you. Goodnight, Harry. I'll see you tomorrow.” With that, Janice kissed Harry on the cheek, picked up the half-empty wine bottle from the fridge, left two unopened cans of Guinness for Harry, and went home.

Harry got up to put the empty glasses in the kitchen and the empty cans in the bin. “I'm off to bed now boys. Lock up for me, please, before you go to bed. Goodnight, I'll see you in the morning, I'll be waiting to hear all about your night out when I get up. Well, maybe not quite all,” Harry snickered giving Charlie a glance. “Goodnight.”

Yawning, Charlie and Michael locked the house for the night and went to bed. Closely followed by Missy, who settled at the foot of Harry's bed.

Please don't get mad at Max, he is only protecting his own. I hope you enjoyed their night out and the fireworks, I know I did.
Well, what do you think? Please leave your reactions and comments, I like the comments and promise that all will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
This chapter is the one that is due to be posted on Tuesday. I've posted it early following a few requests, and because I will be busy working over the Christmas period. The next scheduled chapter will be due on Friday. If I am able to, I will post it before then, but I make no promises at this stage.
I'll take this opportunity to wish all of my readers a very Happy Christmas wherever you are.
Thank you to @raven1 for all of your hard work editing and beta reading helping and supporting me in the writing of this story.
Copyright © 2023 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 30
  • Wow 2
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..