Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 4,043 Words
  • 2,910 Views
  • 63 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Charlie and Michael Baxter lost their father at a young age. They have been brought up by a hard-working mother who loved and treasured her boys. Unfortunately, she passed away before they finished college and through no fault of their own, they found themselves homeless. This is their story.

What Happened To The Baxter Boys - 1. Chapter 1

Temperatures were dropping fast, and the night was drawing in earlier by the day. It was expected as October came to a close and November began. Luckily there hadn't been any frost in the city yet, but that could change any night. Shelter was essential, too many more nights without a roof would be a problem. Last winter had been spent in a squat, but that wasn't as easy now. Property owners were being more careful securing buildings or simply demolishing them, and with all of the new development fewer old buildings were standing.

Charlie tightened his grip around Michael's waist as they struggled along the canal bank. Charlie could feel Michael getting weaker and knew that he needed to rest. As they got closer to the city centre, Charlie kept checking for a suitable place to stop, preferably somewhere sheltered, out of sight and away from the cold. Maybe there would be somewhere near the next bridge. Charlie hoped he could let Michael rest while he tried to sort out something to eat. They both needed it.

Nearly twenty-one years old, six feet tall, of average build in proportion to his height, Charlie usually averaged about seventy-three kilos. Charlie was usually fit and in good health, although it was obvious that he had lost some weight as his clothes were now loose on him. Two years younger, Michael was almost identical in height, weight and build. He too had lost some weight but was in worse condition. They both had mid-brown hair and rich brown eyes. Yes, they had similar facial features but still had their own individual looks and style.

They saw more construction sites the further they walked, and it seemed less likely that they would find anywhere to shelter. The upside was that the towpath had been upgraded which made walking easier. Passing the canal lock Charlie could feel the eyes of some builders watching them. There was no doubt in Charlie's mind, they were being sneered at. He tried to ignore it and carry on. He thought it was ironic, as the builders were no better dressed. The difference was that Charlie and Michael were scruffy from being homeless and living hand to mouth, whereas the builders were scruffy due to the nature of their work.

A few of the builders shouted insults about the state of their dirty clothes, as other's shouted insults calling them queers, shirt-lifters, fudge-packers and a few other choice names, no doubt because they were holding onto each other as Charlie was keeping Michael on his feet. The builders drew their own conclusions from that. They were only half right, Charlie freely admitted to being gay, but his younger brother was as straight as an arrow and definitely not gay. They love each other and always looked out for each other as brothers do.

They trudged on looking down to avoid any possible trouble. Charlie knew that under normal circumstances, they could 'look after' themselves. However, Michael was ill and weak, and he wanted to avoid confrontation. Michael knew the builders would be too much for him to handle on his own. Hearing more than one set of heavy boots stop in front of them, Charlie stopped and looked up. He noticed the shouted insults had stopped. Charlie baulked at the sight of them, but not because there were three of them. The two furthest away didn't look too big, and he felt he could take both of them. It was the big guy closest to them. He was huge. The thought that passed through Charlie's mind was he is built like a brick shit-house.

"Please, guys, we're not looking for any trouble." Charlie pleaded, "My brother's not well. I just want to get him somewhere he can rest. Please, let us pass...we'll get out of here as quick as we can."

"I don't agree. I think you should stay and talk to us." The big guy said.

It was then that Charlie noticed how quiet it had gone. Everyone was watching them.

"Please, we just want to go like I said. We don't want any trouble." Charlie's legs were shaking.

Michael's body was drenched in sweat as he began to tremble, his coughs growing more intense with each passing moment. He desperately raised his hand to his mouth trying to suppress the coughs, only to lower it when they finally subsided.

The big guy noticed blood on Michael's hand. "No, I think we should talk. Tell me, what's wrong with your brother?"

Charlie felt that his fears were about to be realised. He gently sat Michael on the ground, hoping they would leave Michael alone if he fought them on his own. Standing, he sighed and faced the men.

"Okay, if you want to dance, let's dance."

Charlie challenged as he braced himself in a defensive position, praying his martial arts skills were good enough to take out the big guy and both goons.

"Silly boy." Max's own martial arts skills came into play. He had attained Sandan rank, third-degree black belt in Ju Jitsu.

Faster than Charlie had anticipated, the big guy tapped him on the head then he was enveloped in the big guy's arms. No matter how much he struggled, he couldn't break free and started shouting, begging them even to leave his brother alone, the fear evident in his voice.

"I've got this one, you two get the lad on the ground and be careful with him he's ill. Let's take them to the canteen and sort them out there." The big guy's grip was tight, and no amount of kicking or struggling was getting Charlie anywhere.

As they got close to one of the port-a-cabins, another man appeared.

"Is everything okay boss, do you need a hand?"

"Things will be fine when we get them inside. Just open the door for us, then get everyone back to work, I can't afford any more delays," Max answered.

The other man opened the port-a-cabin door and then retreated to the building site. The big guy lifted Charlie off the ground like he was a feather and carried him through the door. The big guy's friends followed carrying Michael and placed him on a worn but comfortable-looking sofa. Charlie looked around, the cabin felt warm and, and it looked like they were in a comfortable break room used by the builders. The big guy dropped Charlie in an armchair and pointed at him. Charlie knew what that meant, so he stayed put.

"George, you go get the first-aider. I think he's also a paramedic. Make it quick! Billy, you get the kettle on. I don't know about anyone else, but I need a coffee," Max ordered. The big guy then turned and looked in Charlie's direction, "What's your poison, and what does your brother drink?"

"C... coffee, but Michael drinks tea." Charlie was still wary, but he was starting to realise they were not going to be hurt, nor were they in any danger from these guys. The guys looked like they wanted to help Charlie and Michael.

"I'm guessing you're hungry too." The big guy went to one of the lockers, took out a Tupperware container and tossed it to Charlie. "Eat! Stacey always makes me too much, and I always give the extra away. None for your brother yet though, not until he's been seen by a medic, then we'll see about getting him something to eat."

Just then the door burst open and another man came rushing in carrying a large green case marked with a white cross. "Max, what's the emergency?"

"That one, I think his name is Michael, he needs looking at. He's sweating, shaking and coughing up blood. Then this one. He could do with being checked over, but I think he's just tired and hungry." The big guy was definitely the man in charge.

"I'm Charlie. He's my brother. His name is Michael. He's not been well for a few days." Charlie offered information between bites of the welcome food.

While he ate the roast beef sandwiches and drank coffee, Charlie watched as Michael was checked over. The man checking Michael put a probe in his ear to take his temperature, shook his head and made some notes, and checked his pulse and blood pressure. He got out a stethoscope to listen to his chest, shook his head again and made more notes. He told George to get his oxygen tank and a mask before he continued to check Michael over. He allowed Michael to take sips of his tea but said he couldn't eat anything yet.

The big guy asked. "What's the verdict, Darren?"

Michael was getting more distressed as the paramedic was examining him. When the examination was over, Michael muttered to himself while sipping on his tea. Tears were forming in his eyes. Charlie quickly handed the remaining sandwiches back to Max and sat with Michael placing his arm around his shoulders to hug him.

"I'm only a paramedic not a doctor, but to be honest, I think he might have pneumonia. He needs to be in the hospital getting treatment. I think he'll be okay with treatment. The other feller looks okay, so I'll leave checking him over. He can be looked at in the hospital. So what's the story, Max?"

The man called George returned with an oxygen tank and mask. Carefully, Darren positioned the oxygen mask and started trickling oxygen through it.

"I don't really know, I just saw these guys and thought they needed help." Max picked up his sandwich box and passed it back to Charlie. "Here, take these for later."

"You know, for all of your size and toughness, you're just a bloody big softy. You're a good man Max. I hope your family know how lucky they are to have you." Darren was looking at Max, a huge goliath of a man, with admiration.

"I'm lucky to have the family that I have, and I'm not soft. We need two new labourers and two new 'chippies', since I just sacked some guys for harassment and discrimination." A fleeting look of anger shot across Max's face.

"Give your mate Jim a call, maybe he can help, or know someone who can." Billy was always ready to offer suggestions, but not all were good.

"Billy, that's good thinking, for a change. I'll call him later." Max was smiling as he spoke. "But first, I'll call Stacy. It's looking like I'll be late home. These lads will need someone with them at the Royal."

"No, you can't do that. Go home to your wife. I'm okay. I can look after Michael." Charlie was surprised that a stranger would do so much for them. The big guy and his friends had already done more than most would.

Charlie couldn't understand why everyone burst out laughing, especially Max.

Billy continued to laugh, but then quieted. "Young 'un, that's the best laff I've had in a while. This big lug is the biggest poofter I know. Don't worry, he only has eyes for his husband, Stacy. He's the best boss I've ever had and most important, he's my best friend. Stacy will love hearing that he's been called Max’s wife," Billy explained as the laughter died while Darren slipped outside to call for an ambulance.

"If you're going to be a prat, I'll get my pink handbag out and hit you with it. Only this time, I'll load it with a brick first." Max slapped Billy hard on his back and then turned to Charlie.

"Yes, as Billy so 'delicately' put it, I'm gay, and that's why the guys that abused you were sacked. I won't tolerate that sort of hateful fucked up behaviour. It was because of the abuse that I noticed you, and I'm glad I did. You two need help, and the crew and I are going to make sure you get it! I'm sorry if the way we approached caused you to be scared or upset, that was not meant. As you can guess, I'm not exactly known for being subtle.”

Billy snorted and chuckles could be heard from the rest of the crew. “Now while we wait for the ambulance that Darren is calling, tell me about your situation."

Hearing what Max said, and the relaxed banter between everyone, Charlie was more comfortable, feeling he could trust Max. While they waited for the ambulance, Charlie only had time to give Max a brief outline of their circumstances.

Looking at his dirty and worn trainers, with occasional glances up at Max, Charlie began their story. “I was nine when Dad died. He was a drunk, but he wasn't always like that. I do have some good memories of him. Mom was always working. She said she had to, to pay the bills and put food on the table. She would do anything for us. She was the best. She even told me she still loved me when I told her about being gay.”

She sounds like a wonderful woman. What happened?” Max knew there was more to come, and it wasn't good.

Tears welled up in Charlie's eyes as he continued. “She died in her sleep a year and a half ago. The doctor said it was a heart attack. Why did she die, Max? Why?” he told Max as his tears began to fall.

I don't know Charlie. I wish I could answer that for you, but I can't.” Max was fighting his own tears. “How did you manage after that? What did you do?”

At this point, Charlie's tears were in full flow. “That's just it Max. I didn't manage did I? We buried Mom. It was all we could do.”

Didn't you have any help?”

The local vicar helped a bit. He couldn't do much, but he tried. Mom said she had a brother, but we don't know him. We never met him. He left for Australia before we were born. I don't even know his name.”

How did you end up homeless?” Max asked.

It's my fault. I messed up with the bills and didn't pay enough rent. We lost the house, then I lost my apprenticeship, then Michael lost his college place, then we got robbed, it's all my fault!” Charlie lost it and was getting hysterical. “It's my fault Max..my fault!”

Max could do no more than grip Charlie in a tight hug, and promise him life would get better. Max was so emotional and choked up he could hardly talk. Neither Max nor Charlie had any concept of time at that point. It felt like they had been talking for hours, but in reality it had been less than five minutes. Max knew there was more to their story but now wasn't the time. He planned on speaking more with Charlie later in the day.

With tears in his eyes Max held the young man by his shoulders at arm's length and looked him in the eye, "Charlie, I promise that things will get better. I have friends, good friends that will help. I need to call Stacy now. Then we'll get things moving for you."

When Max released his grip, Charlie was soon sandwiched between Billy and George in a huge hug.

To Max, it felt like forever before the phone was answered. In reality it was only a few rings.

"Good afternoon, this is The Robin's Asylum. How can I direct your call?" Jason was on form today, but he didn't expect the response he got.

"J... Jason, is your Pop there?"

Jason recognised Max's voice immediately and didn't like how he sounded. He screamed at the top of his voice, "Pop come quick! It's Dad. Something is wrong! Quick, quick!"

Shortly after Stacy took the phone from Jason's hand. "Max, what's wrong hun?"

Max apologised for worrying them and rapidly explained what had happened. He breathlessly finished, "Can you meet me at the MRI A&E please, I need a hug. I promised to help Charlie and his brother. I will not break my promise."

Stacy calmed himself and answered. "Max, honey. Please slow your breathing and take it easy. I know you. You're stressing! Now breathe slowly... in... out... in... out... in... out... that's better. Now do as you're told and go look after those boys...they need you. We will meet you as soon as we can. Is there anything you want us to bring?"

"No, but if you're okay with it, we may have one or two guests tonight."

"The guest room is always ready. You know that. Now go. We'll see you soon. We love you, you big softie."

"Thank you, I love you too." Max hung up as an ambulance pulled up outside, blue lights flashing and sirens fading.

When the ambulance paramedics came in, Darren explained that he was a qualified paramedic and informed them of his opinion after examining Michael. The ambulance paramedics checked Michael for themselves and agreed with Darren. They placed an intravenous line in the back of Michael's hand, disconnected the oxygen supply from his mask and connected it to their own oxygen tank. They supplied Darren with a sealed, sterile mask to replace the one he used on Michael.

After a brief conversation, noting more details given by Charlie, it was agreed they would take Michael to Manchester Royal Infirmary, with Max taking Charlie in his van.

The paramedics made Michael as comfortable as they could and then drove to the hospital. The journey to MRI was uneventful. When they arrived, Michael was taken directly to a curtained cubicle while Charlie relayed Michael's information to the receptionist. Max insisted that Charlie use his address and that he be listed as their uncle.

Making their way to Michael's cubicle they were interrupted by a slightly built man and a cute teenager. Max tightly hugged the slightly built man. It looked like the smaller man would snap in the tight grip of the man mountain.

Charlie felt a tug on his sleeve and was gripped softly by the teenager. "You look like you need a hug more than Dad does."

Surprised, Charlie was then enveloped in warm hug from by the cutie.

Charlie didn't know these people, and they didn't know him. He could be a serial killer for all they knew, but they showed compassion and projected 'good vibes'. He wanted to know them. He felt he could trust them.

As the four were about to enter Michael's cubicle, they were abruptly stopped by a middle-aged 'sour-faced' nurse. "You can't go in there it's family only. You will have to wait in the outer area."

"She can't stop us, can she, Dad?" Jason asked.

"No, she can't." Max then addressed the nurse, "We're here for our nephew." Max pointed at Charlie and Jason, "These two young men are his brother and cousin, so if you will excuse us." Max then turned away from the nurse and guided everyone into Michael's cubicle.

"We'll see about that!" The nurse snapped and angrily stormed off.

While they waited for a doctor, Max introduced everyone to each other. Then he explained to Charlie and Michael that he wanted to help them, and that they were welcome to stay in the spare room Stacy always kept prepared.

The doctor arrived at Michael's cubicle just as the nurse returned with two security officers.

"Those are the people that need removing." The nurse pointed out Max, Stacy, Jason and Charlie to security.

"Is there a problem, nurse?" The doctor asked.

Max spoke up before the nurse could respond. "Hi, Gary. I'm not sure what her problem is. I've brought my nephew in, and she wants us to wait outside."

"Max! You're the last person I expected to see. Since you said nephew, I'm guessing that Jason is okay then," he ruffled Jason's hair and then turned to the nurse.

"Nurse, they are family and have every right to be with the patient. I'm sure there are much better things you could be doing rather than harassing our patient's relatives." He then entered the cubicle and closed the curtain.

The nurse stormed off again as the security officers glared at her before returning to their duties.

"Sorry about that, we're short-staffed, and she's an overzealous agency nurse. Now, let me see to our patient." Gary was very patient-minded and was all smiles as he began reading Michael's notes before examining him.

Gary knew Max, Stacy and Jason through Christian, a mutual friend. They had met several times at various functions at The Boot and The Old Shoe Factory.

After examining Michael, Gary spoke to Michael. "I suspect that the paramedics are right. It does look like you have pneumonia, but first I need blood and urine tests done. Then I need you to have a chest X-ray to confirm. I'll get that organised straight away. If we are right, you will be admitted to the medical ward. Are you allergic to anything?"

Michael shook his head.

"Good. Let's get the ball rolling. The sooner we get you on the ward, the sooner we can get you cleaned up and comfortable. We'll start aggressively with antibiotics and keep you on oxygen. Hopefully, we can have you home in less than a week." Gary's caring nature shone through as he spoke with confidence.

"But, we've nowhere to..." Michael was cut off.

"Yes, you do. There's a bed with your name on it in the spare room." Stacy was adamant.

Gary smiled, "Your new 'Uncles' are good people. Trust them, and everything will be good. But if I were you, I'd watch that Jason, he can be a pain in the backside sometimes."

Jason replied to Gary's last comment with a smirk as he folded his arms, trying to look evil, which resulted in everyone laughing.

It had taken a couple of hours, but eventually the results of Michael's blood and urine tests came back and were checked by Gary. The test results and the X-rays confirmed that Michael had pneumonia. Charlie helped Michael shower and dress in a hospital gown. Michael wouldn't let anyone else help him. He was now comfortable in a hospital bed. With his medication started and administered intravenously, he was tired and now sleeping.

Max and Stacy stood up to leave when Jason nudged Charlie, "Come on, let him sleep. It's time to go home." Jason rose from his chair. "Come on, home time."

The tiredness showed on Charlie's worried face. "But.."

"No buts, Dad and Pop have told you, and this isn't Nazareth. There is room in our inn. Now don't take this in a bad way, but you smell like you need a long hot shower, and if you're anything like me, you're hungry enough to eat a horse. Now come on. After you've had a good night's sleep we can come back tomorrow and see Mikey." Jason took Charlie by the hand and pulled him out of his seat.

Charlie stood and looked Jason in the eye, "I reckon the doc was right, you can be a pain in the backside."

"Yep, I sure can. But to be honest with you, it’s just metaphorical, not actual. You might be good-looking, but I'm not cheating on my boyfriend." Jason gave Charlie a cute smile while trying to look innocent.

"Definitely a pain in the backside, and Michael will kill you if you call him Mikey. He hates it." Charlie felt relieved and comfortable with the banter.

"Good to know, maybe using it will give him the incentive to get better quicker, so he can kick my butt," Jason joked.

When they caught up with Max and Stacy, Jason asked, "Pop, can I ask a favour?"

Stacy had a smile on his face, "And what would that favour be?"

"Can you phone Aunt May for me, please? If it's okay with you, can me and Danny take Charlie to see her tomorrow?"

"First point, it is Danny and I. Didn't they teach you anything in school? The second point, yes, I'll do that first thing in the morning. Thank you, I knew we could rely on you to help." Stacy was beaming at his adopted son with pride.

I hope you have enjoyed this, the first chapter of What Happened To The Baxter Boys. Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Chapter 2 will follow in 7 days.
Thank you to @raven1 for all of your hard work editing and beta reading helping and supporting me in the writing of this story.
Copyright © 2023 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 34
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 5
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..