Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 5,432 Words
  • 1,731 Views
  • 45 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Charlie and Michael Baxter lost their father at a young age. They have been brought up by a hard-working mother who loved and treasured her boys. Unfortunately, she passed away before they finished college and through no fault of their own, they found themselves homeless. This is their story.

What Happened To The Baxter Boys - 14. Chapter 14

Time flies when you're having fun, as the saying goes. For Charlie and Michael Baxter, time did seem to fly. It felt like a lifetime ago they had been struggling to hold things together, living rough, yet the reality was it had only been a matter of weeks since they were whisked off the streets by Max and Stacy. At that time, Michael had been in hospital with pneumonia before joining Charlie, briefly living with Max and Stacy and then moving into Gramp's spare room. Both of them now had jobs that they enjoyed, Charlie working full-time at Chorlton Service Centre and Michael working part-time at GJ&C Buy Sell & Exchange. Michael had also applied to Manchester College for a late enrolment in their Performing Arts Course. He was waiting on their decision and would know before Christmas.

Their birthday party, organised by Stacy, had been a welcome surprise and came when they thought their birthdays would pass unnoticed like the previous year. As a further surprise, they each received a mobile phone with a prepaid sim card. Throughout the evening, as they enjoyed the celebrations, they excitedly programmed their phones with their friend's numbers. The following day, still on a high from the party, they contacted everyone to thank them for helping them celebrate and for their gift.

When Charlie and Michael spoke to Ian and Kevin, they discovered that they would be accompanying The Major to the Remembrance Sunday Service in St Peters Square the following day. They already had plans to attend the service with Gramps, so they spoke to him before agreeing to meet up at nine-thirty the next morning. It's inspiring to see how important it is for people to come together and pay their respects to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

 

After a hearty breakfast, Harry phoned for a taxi to take them to St Peter’s Square. Due to road closures, the closest the taxi could take them was the junction of Princess Street and Portland Street, leaving them to walk the last few hundred yards through the crowds. It was a pleasant walk in the mild, sunny November weather. As they entered St Peter’s Square, they spotted Ian and Kevin near The Cenotaph and made their way over to them. As greetings were exchanged, Benjamin and Joseph delighted in introducing Harry, Charlie and Michael to their Grandad Ox, otherwise known as The Major. Each seeing the berets and medals proudly worn by the other, Harry and The Major stood to attention, facing the other and saluting.

“Harold Willets, former Sergeant of the First Armoured Division, served in Operation Granby, Sir.” Harry stood proud as he announced himself.

“Major Alexander Oxley, I've had the pleasure of being attached to the First Armoured on several occasions, though not in Operation Granby. Mostly attached to the Paras or the SAS.” The Major did not give details of campaigns, which did not go unnoticed by Harry, as his part was still subject to the Official Secrets Act. Following the introductions, Harry and The Major swapped anecdotes about military service while everyone else had a general conversation covering different topics.

“I'm guessing that we were out in The Middle East at different times.” The Major commented.

“It looks that way, sir.” Harry maintained an air of respect due to the difference in ranks. “I notice from your badge insignia that you were in military intelligence, I remember seeing it on a couple of officers that joined us in Kuwait. They provided us with a lot of useful information about the bloody Iraqis.”

“Well, that was the main part of our role. Except when attached to the Para's or the SAS. Then we had to fight as well, and a lot of it wasn't very pretty.” After a short pause, The Major continued. “And please, drop the sir. We're both civilians now, you can use my name, you know.”

“Okay, Alex it is.” Harry shook his head, chuckling. “Daft as this sounds, one of the things that always sticks out in my memory is when those intelligence officers joined us. Somebody should have warned them about upsetting the camels. I don't know what they did, but one of them got bit on a somewhat embarrassing part of the body.”

“Oh, how so?” Prompted The Major.

“As I said, I don't know all of the details, but It must have been embarrassing presenting his bruised arse, complete with camel teeth marks, to the medic.” Harry could not contain his laughter, which, in turn, caused The Major to roar with laughter.

The conversations ended when the outdoor service began at ten o'clock simultaneously in Albert Square and St Peters Square. This was followed by a procession from Albert Square to The Cenotaph in St Peters Square. Led by The Lord Mayor and leaders from all faiths. All of the Armed Services and The Police were represented. They were followed by Cadets from each of the services and veterans of all forces organised by The Royal British Legion. As the procession reached St Peters Square, each marching unit took up their pre-arranged positions for laying wreaths.

At exactly eleven o’clock, two minutes of silence was observed, marked by a single shot at the start and finish by a 105mm gun. It was followed by a shorter service before each of the marching units, led by the Lord Mayor and faith leaders, continued a circular parade back to Albert Square before being dismissed.

Both Harry and The Major were quiet and morose following the service as they remembered friends and comrades lost in combat. It was Joseph who broke the group's silence. “I do not know about all of you, but I am cold. Can we get a hot drink, please?”

Considering the mild weather, this caused everyone except Benjamin to chuckle. “He is right. We are used to warmer temperatures. A hot drink would be welcome,” added Benjamin.

The Major looked on in mild amusement. “I'm sorry, boys. We are used to the British weather and didn't think. I know just the place to get the best cup of tea. Let's go.” The Major led the way with a boy on either side of him and placed his arms around their shoulders.

In one of the last small backstreet cafes, one that did not turn away homeless people, they enjoyed several cups of tea and plates full of homemade cakes. They shared many stories and got to know each other better. Before they parted later in the day, friendships had been sealed and promises made.

 

Over the next few weeks, Charlie and Joe worked diligently on the Triumph. It was almost complete. The last job that needed to be done was to mask off the chrome, windows and wheels in preparation for the respray.

With help and support from Joe, work on Harry's Mini began. Most days after work, Charlie spent an hour or so on preparatory work. The oil and water levels were checked before the car was hooked up to an emergency starter to check if the engine would turn over. It turned over, but it wouldn't start. Joe then advised removing the engine to perform a complete rebuild, including cylinder rebore, replacement piston rings, properly lubricating all moving parts and replacing all gaskets and seals, including servicing the oil and water pumps and the carburettor.

Joe worked out and planned a timetable of work to be carried out for Charlie to use as a reference. Later the car would be further stripped down to allow a full inspection of the braking system, suspension and wheels. Followed by removing the interior, wiring loom and any other attached parts. The rebuild was planned to start with a full inspection of the body and subframe, allowing for any repairs or remedial works to be carried out. Making that work much easier and allowing for any body panels that may need to be replaced before applying primer and undercoat before a respray. And so the lengthy but worthwhile process began.

 

Ian and Kevin's new shop opened on time, with all staff being asked to work overtime for the first week. Full-time staff worked every day, Monday to Saturday. The part-time staff each worked three morning and three afternoon shifts in pairs that were arranged to allow them to work with every other member of staff.

Michael started his first shift on Monday at one o’clock, feeling very nervous. When he began interacting with his first customer, it appeared that his nervousness had disappeared. He showed confidence while answering customer queries. If he did not know the answer, he checked with the more experienced staff before answering the customer. About halfway through the week, he confidently set up and demonstrated items. His charismatic, polite friendliness and charming smile made him popular with the customers, and this showed in his sales figures, earning him respect and a bonus for hitting sales targets.

Michael quickly developed an interest in photographic equipment, watches and jewellery, doing what he could to increase his knowledge. Checking hallmarks on jewellery became second nature to Michael. Soon he felt confident that he could distinguish between silver, gold, platinum and palladium and recognise the marks of the four remaining assay houses and a couple of the closed assay houses. The most notable one was Chester which was often used on silver before its closure in 1962. Adding this to his existing knowledge and experience of music, musical instruments and sound equipment quickly made him a valuable member of staff. A note Sean made in his personnel file marked him as having management potential.

 

After work, when Michael was not with Harry, he was with Stacy, planning the Christmas show. Working out who was doing what and in which order they were doing it was not as easy as Michael thought it would be. The next stage would be rehearsals and arranging props, costumes, etc. It had already been agreed the show would be held on Saturday evening, the twenty-fourth of December, Christmas Eve.

Adele, Andy, Christian, Jeff, Kate, Steve and Sue were definite offers of various performances. As were Danny, Jason and Liam, who would return as The Choirboys. They also offered backstage help. Michael and Stacy had their fingers crossed for more offers of help and performances and had high hopes of recruiting Brad and Charlie.

Danny and Liam's dad, Steve, wanted to support his family and friends and offered to create an ingenious computer slide show of the backgrounds and project them onto a plain wall or giant sheet behind the stage. His offer was quickly snapped up. Stacy knew he could rely on Max and Jim to help create and build props to create the sets for the show.

Loose plans were made for an order of acts. The plans allowed for flexibility in rearranging the order. A brief reprise of Grease was planned, but it was undecided where to place it in the order. The Choirboys set and Michael's set, with him playing the guitar were agreed on. Again, the order of them was undecided.

The order of the line-up changed several times before it was finally agreed. Danny, Jason and Liam were making suggestions all of the time, almost all of which were overruled as being too bawdy. Stacy had to remind them, more than once, that this would be a tasteful show, not something from backstage Vaudeville or Burlesque shows. Although Stacy did agree to fit in a couple of sexy numbers for him to sing to Santa.

 

Harry's health was slow to improve at first, but after the first two weeks, his recovery gained pace, and he was becoming more independent and self-reliant by the day. Missy was enjoying more walks than she had for a while. Janice often accompanied Harry and Missy on their afternoon walks, which were always opportunities to get some exercise and enjoy regular conversations with Harry. It was then that Janice started to consider getting a dog of her own.

“Harry, I've always wanted to ask, where did you get Missy from?” Enquired Janice.

Harry looked at Janice questioningly. “Doris and I bought her from a reputable breeder in Cheshire. Why do you ask?”

“Honestly? I've always liked her since you and Doris got her, and since looking after her while you were in hospital, I've grown quite fond of her and miss having her around. I think, no, I know I'd like a dog of my own now, and I'd like your help getting one. Could you introduce me to the breeder where you got Missy?” Janice asked, hopefully.

“I could do that.” Answered Harry. “Or you could wait until after Christmas. You know, a lot of people are idiots. They buy a pet at Christmas, and when the novelty wears off, they just discard them like rubbish. It's cruel, but it's a fact.”

Janice went to speak, but Harry quieted her. “No, I'm not saying you're one of those people. What I mean is, if you wait until then, you could have a puppy that someone bought and no longer wants. That way, you can get a good dog at a lower cost and take in a rescue dog that needs a home. It's a good way of getting what you want and doing some good at the same time. Think about it before you decide.”

“Thank you, Harry. I'll do that.” Janice paused. “Speaking of after Christmas, will you be okay when the lads leave? You know, will you be able to manage without them?”

“What do you mean? They're not leaving. It's their home.” Harry sounded sure of himself.

“What do you mean?” queried Janice. “Are you sure they are staying? Have you spoken to them?”

Janice's questions had Harry doubting himself. “But, but I don't want them to leave. It's their home now. Have they said something to you? Are they planning on leaving?” Harry stopped walking and looked at Janice.

Janice stopped and returned Harry's gaze. Looking past the tears forming in his eyes, she saw fear, a fear of losing the lads he had grown fond of and considered family. “They haven't said anything to me, but Harry, if you remember, when they moved in, you all agreed it was only temporary until you recovered. Look at you now. You're fitter than before you had your heart attack. They are likely to start looking soon if they haven't already. Speak to them Harry. Soon.”

After speaking, Janice hooked her arm in Harry's, and they walked home in silence, with Missy at Harry's heel.

 

Over the following weeks, until the Friday before Christmas, Harry volunteered to work with Brad in The Recycle Shop. For six hours a day, four days a week, he sat in the solidly built convincing Santa's Grotto. Wearing padding and dressed in a good quality suit complete, with wig and beard, his gentle nature made him the ideal Santa for the children of the neighbourhood in which The Old Shoe Factory stood.

The joy that Harry experienced from being Santa helped to hide the anxiety he felt when he thought of the possibility of Michael and Charlie leaving. With Brad's help, he approached Cash for Kids, a local charity supported by Piccadilly Key 103, the local radio station, and secured support for neighbouring families struggling with finances. Their annual Christmas toy appeal, Mission Christmas, agreed to provide gifts for the children of the nominated families.

 

Charlie and Michael marked their payday by exchanging belated birthday gifts and taking Harry, Stacy and Max out for a meal. By taking advantage of a mid-week deal, it cost them a modest fifty pounds, including tip. Harry insisted that he pay for the wine, pre-meal drinks and Irish coffee post-meal. It was an evening they all enjoyed.

With money in his pocket, Charlie had his first real 'date night' with Brad. It was Charlie's first experience of Canal Street. When Brad introduced Charlie to his friends in Churchills, he was immediately welcomed and made to feel part of the group. When an 'outsider' tried to make a move on Charlie, he was quickly discouraged and moved on by Brad's friends. At nearly midnight, and after several passionate kisses, each time jokingly being told by the friendly group to 'Get a room', they decided to head home.

When they got in the taxi, Brad was surprised at Charlie's suggestion. “Let's go back to yours. If it's okay with you, I'd like to stay the night.”

Brad had a mild attack of nerves. “Are, are you sure? My place isn't much, and it's a bit messy.” Charlie nodded and sent Michael a text so he wouldn't worry. Brad gave his address to the driver, who smiled knowingly and drove them home as quickly as he could.

After Brad led Charlie into his home, he tried to tidy up, but Charlie grabbed his hand and pulled Brad into his embrace. “Come here and welcome me into your home properly.”

Brad did not need to be told twice as he engaged Charlie in a passionate kiss which led to more as they edged toward the bed. After some fumbling, they both removed their clothes until all they wore were tight boxer briefs restraining growing bulges. That night, they took their growing relationship to another level. They experienced loving caresses and mutual masturbation ending in mind-blowing oral sex. Made all the more special by expressing and feeling the love shared between them.

 

The Old Shoe Factory's Management Committee happily agreed for local community groups to temporarily use several empty units at the rear of the building. By involving the local residents, the groups equipped the largest unit as an indoor play area for the youngest children. Another was set up as a Christmas craft shop for children and adults of all ages. They made simple gifts to be given at Christmas and festive decorations that were used in Santa's Grotto, The Old Shoe Factory and The New Boot, as well as making them available to local residents free of charge.

A third unit was taken over by a retired teacher and his wife, who brought local children together to form a choir. With help from Adele, Sue, Danny, Jason and Liam, they planned their own mini Christmas show, including a nativity play. They scheduled it for early evening on Friday, twenty-third of December. Admission was by anonymous sealed donation. Each household, including those in The Old Shoe Factory, was provided with an identical thick, blank envelope. The idea was that each household could place what they could afford in the envelope, regardless of the amount and allowed households where money was tight to hand over an empty envelope.

On the day, all of the envelopes contained cash, a few contained a nominal one-pound coin, and one anonymous envelope held two hundred pounds. All of the envelopes were given to Aunt May for her to count and distribute to local families in need. When Aunt May counted the cash, it totalled £342.50. Aunt May used her magic, contacted the local councillor and rounded it up to £360.00. After collecting the twelve sacks supplied by Mission Christmas, each containing age-appropriate gifts and marked with the names and addresses of the intended recipients. Aunt May split the cash equally into twelve envelopes.

At eight o'clock that Friday evening, the sacks and envelopes were loaded into two cars. Aunt May and Jeff were in one car, and Andy and Christian were in the other. The plan was simple and very effective. Place the sack with an envelope and a note securely attached on the doorstep, knock on the door and watch from a distance until the sack is taken in. Each note was identical and read, Merry Christmas love from Santa. They didn't see the reactions on people's faces, but they did hear shrieks of delight and knew they had made a difference.

 

At four o'clock Saturday afternoon, Christmas Eve, Jeff opened the doors of The New Boot. He was soon joined by staff and volunteers who formed the backstage crew. They promptly finished off setting up the stage in the large multi-purpose room. The Christmas decorations and trees had been in place since the beginning of December.

While the setting up was being completed, nervous performers, some more nervous than others, were arriving. Two small rooms off the main room had been set up as dressing rooms enabling male and female performers to be separated. Soft drinks and nibbles were made available in each room to help the performers settle their nerves. Brad arrived late as he had been working that day. He had also been charged with picking up Harry and Missy who had been invited as guests of honour and seated with Benjamin, Joseph, Ian and Kevin.

Everyone was busy rechecking their costumes, songs, lines and order in the line-up. For some nerves grew, for others nerves calmed as time passed. Finally, Stacy, in full make-up and costume, waited for his introduction as Miss Daisy Chain.

Jeff stepped up and took centre stage with a mic in his hand. “Ladies and Gentlemen, friends and guests. It is no surprise that we have a special show for you tonight. Some of you have commented on hearing the rehearsals and gossiped...er...spread the news through The Boot’s informal communications network, which I believe woks rather well.” Jeff laughed. “So, without further ado, I give you your hostess for the night, Miss Daisy Chain.” Jeff left the stage as a spotlight followed Miss Daisy, mic in hand, onto the stage.

“Good evening ladies and gentlemen, and those who are somewhere in between or not so sure. I am your fabulous hostess for the evening, the cock in a frock, Miss Daisy Chain.”

Miss Daisy looked up at the refurbished stained glass window as a light shone on it. “I'm sorry, JC. You know me from my last visit and I haven't changed. Yes, I'm still dressing up. Ooh, I love what you've done with the old place. By the way, it's much more inviting and simply divine. But Sweetie, let me know next time you have work done, and I can bring my builder friend. He knows how to work it and you can have a discount. But, much as I love talking with you, that's enough chit-chat. It's time to entertain these gorgeous people! Let's get this party started, shall we?”

Miss Daisy turned to face the audience head down, crossing himself as the mic picked him up muttering, under his breath, “Wig's fantastic, knicker elastic, check the boobs, left and right.” He continued this with a few more minutes of stand-up comedy. Miss Daisy's sharp wit and professional delivery had the audience laughing loudly and set them up for what happened next. It was a great response that inspired Miss Daisy.

“Sweethearts, let me spill the beans about Christmas. Did you know that it's my favourite time of the year? No? Well, you do now, and I want to share some holiday cheer with all of you! Can I share a secret with you?” The audience responded with a resounding YES! “You will never believe it, but I know the man who writes the naughty and nice lists. And you better believe me when I say I know how to be just naughty enough to make it on the nice list.” Miss Daisy winked at the audience, who replied with a laugh. “Please welcome my favourite gift giver, Santa!”

In a very tight Santa suit complete with wig and beard, Max arrived in a sleigh pulled by five sexy reindeer, Charlie, Michael, Danny and Jason, with Liam leading in his wheelchair sporting a flashing red nose. Santa’s rosy cheeks were not makeup but the result of the costume Stacy made him wear. Santa stepped from the sleigh to greet everyone, and as sexily as he could, laughed, “Ho, Ho, Ho,” and tried to waggle his eyebrows at Miss Daisy sexily. That brought a few snickers and snorts from his reindeer and the audience.

“Hi, Santa Baby,” Stacy said in a seductively sexy voice. “Have you come bearing any gifts for little ol' me?”

Tenderly, Max replied. “Sorry, Daisy. You're scheduled as my last delivery. But trust me when I say I have a lot to give you, and you will not be disappointed.”

Daisy’s head and eyes shifted focus to somewhere south of Santa’s big belt before replying. “Oooh, I can see that! Or is that just a very big candy cane in your pocket?” Miss Daisy asked with a smirk and raise of her eyebrows. Mae West would approve her performance.

Max's sexy laugh crept in for a moment before he replied. “That reminds me, I have enough canes for all! After tonight's performance, I'll be handing them out. Then I need to check that I have the gift list right, especially for my deliveries to the young ones later tonight. The North Pole Postal System has had a challenging time keeping up with all of the letters sent to me. So, I'm relying on you to help me make this Christmas the most enchanting one yet!”

“Ooh Santa! You are just too precious!” Miss Daisy exclaimed as she planted a lip-smacking smoochy kiss on Max's cheek.

“My darlings, I simply must kick off this fabulous show with a little ditty for all of you. You see, all I'm asking for Christmas is...” Then Stacy belted out, All I Want For Christmas Is You while holding Max's hand and gazing into his eyes. After the show-stopping performance, Miss Daisy planted another embarrassingly fierce kiss on Max's cheek and waved goodbye to the reindeer like the true diva he is as Max and the reindeer left the stage.

Then Miss Daisy announced to everyone in the room. “Ladies and gentlemen, tonight I bring an evening of festive entertainment for you.” Stacy whispered into the mic, “Psst, don't tell The Pope, but we kidnapped the first act from Vienna...well, I think it was Vienna.” Raising his voice, he announced. “Please welcome tonight's fabulous opening act, The Choir Boys.”

As the lights dimmed, Miss Daisy left the stage. A spotlight lit up a street lamp with a youth leaning on it, smoking a cigarette. “Oi, what you lot lookin' at?” The youth asked the audience.

Somebody from the side shouted out. “Where's The Choir Boys?”

“What? Are we on?” Asked the youth.

“Yes! Now put that fag out!” Came the reply.

With the audience laughing, the lights dimmed again. This time the sound of frantic voices could be heard.

“I told you not to go for a fag!”

“Shut up! I needed it.”

“Stop arguing and get dressed you two.”

The lights slowly brightened, accompanied by the sound of young men singing Oh Little Town of Bethlehem. The Choir Boys, in full costume, entered the stage. Liam was in his wheelchair holding a candle; Danny and Jason followed, each holding a candle in one hand and pushing Liam's wheelchair with the other. They were followed by the youth from the lamp post, Michael, who was carrying a candle and trying to look innocent. With angelic voices, they followed up with Away In A Manger. The highlight was the rendition of The Holly And The Ivy which started as a beautiful harmony, but after the first verse, The Choirboys ripped off their costumes to reveal jeans and t-shirts as the hymn morphed into a gracefully choreographed modern dance version which included wheelchair spins and wheelies from Liam and received rapturous applause, especially from the younger crowd in the audience.

There was a surprise performance by the Children's Choir formed at The Old Shoe Factory. They were each given a surprise gift by Santa before being taken home due to the time. Any protests were avoided as the children were reminded by Santa Max what happens through the night, and what good boys and girls would find the next morning.

The evening's entertainment continued with different members of staff and volunteers, with occasional backing vocals from The Choirboys, performing renditions of Little Drummer Boy and White Christmas, sung by Jeff and The Major. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, sung by Adele and Sue. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday and other popular Christmas songs from across the years were sung by Adele, Sue, Andy, and Christian, alternating who took lead vocals.

Miss Daisy Chain was giving it her all as the host of the show! She had the audience in the palm of her hand. Not only did she have the audience rolling around with laughter with her hilarious stand-up routines between acts, but she also served up fierce looks that left the crowd howling. Like the true professional she was, she knew how to work the crowd.

Part of the way through the evening, there was an intermission where on-stage props were changed, and guests were invited to help themselves to the buffet that had been put together by staff from donations made by some of the local supermarkets. During the break, a lovely recording of Michael's guitar playing was played softly in the background. The mellifluous notes brought a sense of calm and joy to everyone in the room.

When the show resumed, it was to a darkened stage with Rydell High School as the backdrop. The lighting slowly brightened as Michael, followed by Danny, Jason, and Liam, entered from one side of the stage wearing tight denim jeans, t-shirts and leather jackets. Miss Daisy Chain, Kate, Adele and Sue entered. Miss Daisy Chain, complete with a blond wig, wore jeans, red mules and a leather jacket while the others wore pink tops bearing Rydell High School and Pink Ladies insignia. Miss Daisy Chain and Michael took the lead roles as they performed Grease Is The Word, followed by Summer Nights, Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee, performed by Kate, who took the lead. Before Michael and Miss Daisy Chain re-took the lead, continuing with Grease Lightening, Sandy, You're The One That I Want and finishing with We Go Together. The song and dance performance, a reprise from Grease, brought the house down as the audience whistled, clapped and cheered.

This was followed by a second short intermission where all props were cleared from the stage, and guests helped themselves to the last of the buffet. In the background, they were treated to a recording of Michael and the choirboys singing a mix of carols and other Christmas songs not included in the show.

The last part of the show saw a return of Miss Daisy Chain as The Hostess With The Mostest giving a very sexy performance of Santa Baby to an embarrassed Santa, Max, who was hamming it up, before providing light entertainment between the last few performances given by staff and volunteers.

Michael took to the stage for the final act, playing his guitar with The Choirboys providing backing vocals. They performed a medley of songs, including Silence Is Golden, Scarborough Fair and Bridge Over Troubled Waters. Then Michael handed his guitar to Miss Daisy as he and The Choir Boys sang Amazing Grace, acapella. Not a sound was made by the audience, who were hanging on every word Michael sang as Danny, Jason, and Liam provided a hauntingly complex, beautiful harmony to the song. The effect on the audience was the same as when Michael first sang in Stacy's studio.

For the finale, Miss Daisy Chain had the audience join in singing We Wish You A Merry Christmas, Jingle Bells and Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer as the lyrics were projected behind the stage. At the same time, Max, dressed as Santa, with Brad, Adele and Sue, all dressed as Elves, appeared next to the Christmas tree to hand out candy canes and gifts addressed personally to the guests. The regular guests received more personalised gifts based on information that had been gathered. The latecomers were given gifts as appropriate as possible. Their details were taken from the night register they filled in at the beginning of the evening.

After the gift giving, the evening wound down with a final performance of Silent Night sung by Michael and The Choirboys as happy, smiling guests made their way to bed. The backstage volunteers helped the night staff clean up most of what needed to be cleaned before they and the performers went home to bed. The night staff finished the cleaning and set up for the Christmas Day breakfast.

I missed contributing to the Tribute to our friend Carlos Hazday and regret doing so. But I think he would have approved of the spirit of giving that is expressed in this chapter and throughout the story. For that reason, I dedicate this chapter to my dear friend @Carlos Hazday, you are missed but you will never forgotten.
I hope you will forgive me for the delay in posting this chapter, it was caused by my sending the wrong draft to my editor for its final edit. I think the one day delay is worth it to ensure that you only get my best efforts.
Time moved on a lot in this chapter with a lot going on for everyone and we had the Christmas show. Which I hope you all enjoyed. Please let me know what you think, all reactions and comments are appreciated. I enjoy reading and replying to your comments, so please keep them coming.
I'm sure you have all guessed that we are near the end of this story, I think it is fair to let you know the final chapter will be posted this coming weekend. It may be the end of this story but it is not the end of the series and more stories are planned for later in the year.
Thank you to @raven1 for all of your hard work editing and beta reading helping and supporting me in the writing of this story.
Copyright © 2023 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 33
  • Wow 1
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..