Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 5,743 Words
  • 1,739 Views
  • 64 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Charlie and Michael Baxter lost their father at a young age. They have been brought up by a hard-working mother who loved and treasured her boys. Unfortunately, she passed away before they finished college and through no fault of their own, they found themselves homeless. This is their story.

What Happened To The Baxter Boys - 9. Chapter 9

Please be aware of the usual tissue warning, keep the kleenex handy.

The bedroom door clicked shut behind Danny and Jason. “Wow, Danny, that was deep what you said to Michael about his mum. What made you say that, and why did you call him Mikey?”

Danny shook his head, unsure of what had come over him. “I don't know. I just had this strange feeling come over me, and it felt right,” Danny questioned himself. “Why? Is there something wrong with what I said?”

“No. Nothing's wrong at all! You just surprised me.” Jason pulled Danny into a hug and gently kissed him on his lips. “Let's get undressed and into bed. I need my Danny cuddles and sleep.” Less than fifteen minutes later the boys were asleep curled up together and cuddling tight. It was Jason's turn to be the little spoon, and he loved how Danny held him close.

 

Charlie and Michael lay in their separate beds facing each other across the darkened room. As Charlie lay in his bed, he could hear Michael's laboured breathing. It sounded slightly hitched, as if Michael was quietly sobbing.

“Michael?” Charlie got no answer. He slipped out of bed walked over and sat on the edge of Michael's bed. Reaching out, he gently rubbed Michael's back through the duvet.

“Michael, are you alright?”

“I...I think so. It's just, I miss Mum, that's all,” Michael sniffed and tried to wipe his eyes dry.

“I miss her too, Mikey. I try not to show it, but I miss her all the time. I even dream about her sometimes.” Charlie knew and understood his brother's pain. He felt it too.

“I thought it was just me. You always seem to have it all together. I'm sorry.”

“Don't be sorry. I try to be strong for both of us, but I've cried a lot of tears too.” Charlie's emotions were getting the better of him, and tears began flowing. “Why did you sing Mum's song earlier?”

Michael's voice was quiet, almost apologetic. “I dunno, really. But being with Stacy makes me feel at ease. It's going to sound silly, but he reminds me of Mum. Not that they look alike or anything. It's just that being around him feels like being around someone who could have been Mum’s brother. I know he isn't, but that's how he makes me feel.”

“No, I get it. He makes me feel important and wanted, like he loves us,” Charlie replied with a small smile. “If you feel stupid, then I guess we both are. But you haven't told me, why did you sing Mum's song tonight?”

“It felt like I needed to do it...I felt like...like it was the right time. Does that make sense?”

“It makes perfect sense. And you did Mum proud tonight. I know she was looking down and smiling at us.” Charlie had pulled Michael into a full-blown hug, and they cried together. When they calmed down, Charlie spoke again. “Anyway, what's with the hairdo?”

“Blame Stacy for that. He wanted to cheer me up and make me feel better.”

“It looks good on you. Hope this doesn't creep you out coming from your gay brother, but it shows off your good looks and makes you look sexy.” Charlie felt slightly embarrassed saying it, but he knew it was true.

Michael could feel his face tingle and flush red. “And there was me thinking of asking if you wanted to share my bed, like we did when we was little kids.”

“You know, I'd like that too. I miss the times when we were kids.” Charlie remembered those days with fondness. Michaels's words made Charlie feel nostalgic.

Instead of talking, Michael peeled back the quilt. Charlie slid into the bed, covered them both with the quilt and spooned his younger brother. There was nothing sexual about it, just two brothers sharing comfort and support for each other. That was how they slept until the alarm woke them the following morning.

 

Tuesday morning in the Robin's household was a flurry of activity. Max and Charlie dashed out the door to their workplaces. Danny and Jason hurriedly finished breakfast and made their way to college. Michael was in the kitchen brewing up hot drinks for anyone who needed a caffeine boost, while Stacy whipped up poached eggs and toast to accompany bowls of cereal. Even though they had each grabbed a slice of toast earlier, Michael and Stacy didn't have a chance to sit down and enjoy their own breakfast until everyone else had left for the day.

Michael was relieved that Stacy had arranged to use Max's BMW. Its four doors and spacious interior made it a more comfortable choice than the Capri for the work they had ahead of them today.

Stacy dropped Michael off at Janice’s house to collect Missy, Michael then took Missy to her home to wait for Harry's return. With Stacy off shopping, Michael gave Harry’s house a thorough once-over before opening the windows to freshen the air. After the house had aired out, Michael closed the windows and turned on the heat to warm the house for Harry's arrival.

Missy had alternated between following Michael and wandering from room to room, as if she was searching for Harry. She occasionally stopped at Harry's chair, laid her head on the seat and whined as if crying for Harry. “It's okay, Missy. He's coming home today. You will need to look after the house when me and Stacy go to collect him.” Missy looked at Michael, tilting her head from side to side as he spoke to her. As if she understood, she wagged her tail and barked once. Then she lay in her bed resting, her head resting on her front paws, watching the door.

As Michael tended to Missy and the house, Stacy took the car to be valeted. That task done, Stacy went shopping in Chorlton to stock up on Harry's fridge and food cupboard before returning to the house. At Unicorn Grocery he bought fresh vegetables and milk, butter, eggs, sausage and bacon for the fridge along with cheese, cold meats, sandwich fillings and accompaniments. At Chorlton Meat Market he bought fresh meats to add to the vegetables and make a few chilled meals that Harry could easily reheat.

Stacy's last stop to buy fresh baked bread and a small selection of pastries from his favourite bakery completed the shopping. With the shopping finished, Stacy rushed back to get busy in Harry’s kitchen.

Michael became sous chef to Stacy, who put their culinary skills to the test preparing the multitude of fresh ingredients to create a mouthwatering variety of casseroles and stews to tempt and satisfy the most discerning of palates. Once cooked and cooled, they took their place in the fridge for Harry to indulge himself. The aroma of delicious food permeated the house and was teasing and more welcoming than any air freshener. Naturally, fresh food had also been bought for Missy.

After a light lunch and feeding Missy, they went for a brisk walk in the fresh November air, returning to the house thirty minutes later to give the kitchen a final clean-up before leaving to pick up Harry.

During the morning and drive to the hospital, Michael and Stacy seriously discussed Harry's situation. On the journey to the hospital, Stacy agreed that Michael, and possibly Charlie, should stay with Harry until he recovered, but only if it was necessary and only if Harry agreed to it.

When Michael and Stacy arrived at the hospital to pick up Harry, everything went smoothly, as expected. They closed the curtains around Harry's bed for him to dress in private while the nurse gave them the medication that Harry needed and instructions on when he should take them. They were also given other information regarding his care. However, Harry was in the final stages of recovery, meaning he only needed minimal care for a short period if his recovery continued.

The trip back to Harry's home was dominated by a conversation about cars. Harry appreciated the ride in the luxurious BMW, but he was more enthusiastic about classic cars. The main focus of the conversation was Stacy's Capri and Harry's Mini. When Michael mentioned that Charlie was working on a Triumph 2000 for his employer, Harry was very interested to hear about it and was looking forward to talking to Charlie about it.

“Do...do you think Charlie would mind if I asked him to help me restore the Mini?” Harry seemed to be nervous asking.

Michael struggled to hold back laughter, so Stacy answered. “Harry, I can't answer for Charlie, but I think it's worth asking him. Truthfully, I think he would be upset if you didn't ask him.”

Michael giggled at Stacy's reply and couldn't contain himself. “Gramps, Charlie can't wait to get his hands on the Mini. Stacy even threatened to tie his hands behind his back to stop him.”

“As if someone as sweet and innocent as me would do something like that,” Stacy quipped, then sternly added, “But if you keep telling tales, young man, you will earn a spell in my dungeon.” Stacy giggled to himself at the look of shock on Michael's face.

Harry was surprised when Stacy parked in front of his house. First, he noticed the gates to his drive and the fence around the front garden had been repaired, and his garden had been tidied. Then he saw the fresh paintwork on the front door and window frames and realised that his house and garden had been given a facelift. Harry walked up his drive. He was taking in the improved appearance of his house and garden and appreciating the hard work that had been carried out.

As he neared the house, a single bark caught his attention and made him look to see Missy standing with her wet nose and front paws pressed against the window. Harry's face was beaming. His smile reached to his eyes which showed his deep affection for his faithful loving companion. Missy was clearly excited to see him. And Michael and Stacy would swear they saw her smiling too.

Michael entered the house first to open the doors for Harry and prevent Missy from getting over-excited. Missy greeted him by sniffing his hand and giving it a single lick. After receiving a gentle rub on her ears, followed by a stroke and pat on her back, she moved, allowing Harry plenty of room to fully enter the house. When Harry stepped inside, Missy immediately went to his side, lifted her head and licked his hand. Missy, as devoted as ever, walked at Harry's side, gently guiding him to his chair.

As Harry sat, Missy raised herself and put her front paws on the arm of the chair. After receiving fuss and attention from Harry, she gave him gentle 'doggy kisses' to welcome him home. Her gentleness told of her understanding of Harry's poor health. Reassured that her friend and master was home, she sat on the floor beside Harry's feet and gently rested her head on his knee.

“Gramps, would you like a cup of tea and maybe a sandwich?” Michael stood at the kitchen door.

“Just a cup of tea for now, please. I'll make something to eat once I've settled.” Harry was happy to be home and wanted to rest.

Michael set about making them all a drink while Stacy spoke to Harry. “The doctor said you should have somebody with you for a few weeks at least, so what plans have you got in mind?”

“Oh, I don't need anyone to watch over me. I'm fine. Besides, I'm guessing by the wonderful smells coming from the kitchen there are a few surprises in the fridge.” Harry was a bit guarded. He was used to being independent and looking after himself.

Before Stacy could respond, Michael came from the kitchen carrying an old handmade wooden tray containing four mugs of tea and two plates of biscuits. One plate of biscuits to go with their tea and the other with bone-shaped biscuits for Missy. He was followed by Janice, who had let herself in through the back door.

“Hello, Stacy. And hello to you, you old sod.” Janice took a mug of tea from the tray, receiving a frown from Stacy. “From what I just heard, you're still being as stubborn as ever. So, the doctor says you need someone to keep an eye on you, and you think you don't.”

“Janice, I'm fine. I can look after myself! You know that.” Harry was sharp but not unfriendly in his reply.

“Really? And what would Doris say? You know, if she was still here, she would give you a severe tongue-lashing for being a stubborn old mule.”

“That's not fair. You can't bring Doris into this.”

“Oh, can't I? I'll tell you what... I'll leave Doris out of it on one condition. Either you agree to my Emma or this gorgeous young man staying here to keep an eye on you...Or not only will I remind you what Doris would do, I'll move in myself!” Janice glared defiantly at Harry. “Now make a sensible choice, you stubborn old goat.” Having said her piece Janice sat back, winked at Michael, and picked up her mug of tea in one hand and a biscuit in the other.

Harry lifted his mug of tea and glared back at Janice. After taking a sip of tea, he growled. “You fight dirty.” Turning his attention to Michael, he pleaded, “Michael, if it's not asking too much, would you please stay with me and Missy for a while? If for no other reason than to protect me from the bossy harridans next door. Please?” Hearing Harry pleading, Missy whined, looking at Michael pleading with puppy dog eyes.

“Yes, Gramps, I'll do that for you. But if I come, Charlie might insist on coming too.” Realising what Janice had done, Michael tried to hide his joy, and Stacy choked on his tea, trying not to laugh out loud. Stacy had to give Janice credit for how well she manoeuvred Harry into agreeing.

“That's fine by me. I might need the two of you to protect me,” giving Michael a wink. Secretly, Harry was delighted at the thought of the two young men moving in.

“Okay then, that's settled! Harry, do you need any help with bedding or anything?” Stacy was running things through his mind, re-assessing plans.

“Thank you for the offer Stacy, but I have everything needed. And you have already done more than enough for me, thank you.” Harry spoke directly to Michael. “The back bedroom is kitted out with twin beds as a guest bedroom. I think you will be comfortable in there. You will need to make up the beds. Everything you need is in the airing cupboard.”

Giving a mock scowl to Janice, Harry growled. “Happy?”

Janice nodded with a smirk on her face. “Very.”

She then popped the last of a bourbon cream into her mouth as a reward for the success of her plan. Janice felt pleased with herself. She liked Charlie and Michael and knew it would be good for Harry if one or both of them stayed with him.

Harry sighed and fed Missy a bone-shaped dog treat then sat back to enjoy his tea and eat a digestive biscuit.

Michael had hustled upstairs and was making up the twin beds in the guest bedroom.

When Stacy's phone rang, he answered it immediately. Only one side of the conversation could be heard. “Hello.”

“Oh, hi Spence”

“No, he hasn't said a word.”

“I agree with you. We have to do something. Can you be at mine in the morning while he's working?”

“Okay, I'll see you about ten. We'll sort it out between us. Oh, can you ask Charlie to call in at Harry's on his way home, please? Thanks, bye.” Stacy hung up and shook his head, exasperated. “Would you believe that boy?”

“What's wrong?” It didn't take much for Harry to sense Stacy's upset.

“Charlie. It's his twenty-first in two weeks, and he hasn't said anything. Michael hasn't mentioned it either.” Stacy voiced his frustration.

“Stacy, don't upset yourself over it. If you think about it, you shouldn't be surprised. In the short time you have known the boys you have done a lot for them. With everything you've done, Charlie probably doesn't want you making a fuss. I know if I was Charlie, that's how I would feel.” Harry was right, and Stacy knew it.

“I know you're right, but it can't be ignored. I'll work something out that will be low-key. Please don't say anything, and you too Janice.” Stacy was calm, but he was determined to do something to help Charlie celebrate his birthday.

Michael had finished preparing the guest room and joined everyone downstairs. “The room is ready. I just need to get my stuff, and then I'm all set to go.”

“Right, I'm going to head off home. Harry, I'll catch up with you tomorrow.” Janice left after everyone said goodbye to her.

“I need to get home and start cooking. I've got hungry mouths to feed. Michael, I suggest you stay here for now. Charlie will be calling in on his way home. It will give you and Harry a chance to work things out, and Charlie can pick you up before coming home. Harry, I expect you to come for dinner too. I know the boys would like to see you. Charlie can drop you back home later.” After giving hugs, Stacy left for home.

 

After work, Charlie arrived at Harry's in his work clothes. After giving an excited Missy some fuss, he went to wash his hands before sitting down to talk with Harry and Michael. The conversation was light and flowed easily over mugs of hot tea. On learning that Michael was staying with Harry while he continued his recovery, Charlie insisted on staying with Michael to help look after Harry. Discussion over, all three got in the Focus for the short journey to Max and Stacy's where a hot meal awaited them.

 

Dinner over, everyone discussed many different things together. Harry loved being included in what felt like a family meeting. Michael talked about the pros and cons of college versus work, leaving him with a lot to think about. Harry and Charlie talked about Charlie's job and restoring the Mini Cooper S. There was a lot of talk about performing a reprise of the Christmas show from The Boot and performing it at The New Boot. Stacy pointed out that it would depend on many factors that needed to be taken into account, which included the time factor. Jason reminded Stacy that the original show had been put together in three weeks, and Stacy conceded that point. That led to Stacy calling Jeff and Christian about Michael visiting The New Boot. Stacy was due to volunteer for a shift Wednesday night and a half shift Thursday night. It was agreed for Michael to shadow Stacy on his half shift.

When Harry grew tired, Charlie and Michael quickly packed what they needed for a couple of days so they could take Harry home. They could collect anything else they needed later. They arrived at Harry's house just after nine-thirty to be greeted by a very happy and lively Missy. Michael insisted that Harry sit and rest while he brought Harry's medication to him and made a hot drink for them all. Charlie took Missy for a short walk when she presented him with her lead and a raised paw.

 

Later that evening, Charlie and Michael quietly unpacked and put their clothes away in what was previously Harry's guest room. It was now their temporary bedroom. Harry had taken his prescribed medication and was now sleeping peacefully in bed. A lot had happened to them in little more than a week. There had been many changes, yet it felt like they were still on the roller coaster ride that started the day they met Max. The last thing they heard before falling asleep was gentle snoring from Harry's room.

 

Charlie woke the following morning, not knowing what time it was. He didn't own a watch or mobile phone and had forgotten to arrange an alarm clock. Jumping out of bed, he quickly dressed and went downstairs. The first thing he noticed was the clock on the sideboard, which read 7:45 a.m. “Shit! I'm going to be late!”

Harry popped his head around the kitchen door. “Morning Charlie, I thought you had already gone to work. Do you want a cuppa?”

 

“Thanks, Gramps, but I don't have time. I'm supposed to be in work at eight o'clock. I'm already going to be late.” Charlie rushed through the kitchen, checking he had his keys, then dashed out of the door.

Michael came downstairs just as the front door closed. “I'm guessing that was Charlie?”

“Yes, he said something about being late. Did he sleep through the alarm?”

“No. Actually, Gramps, we forgot to ask if anyone had a spare alarm we could borrow.” Michael sounded apologetic as he went to the kitchen. “Gramps, do you want a cup of tea?”

“I've got one thank you, Michael. I made a fresh pot, so there should still be plenty for you to help yourself. I've got a spare alarm, so remind me to give it to you later. We don't want Charlie to be late for work again.”

The rest of the day was quiet and uneventful. Harry contacted his GP and made appointments to see the doctor and the nurse who would monitor his progress until his hospital appointment. Michael got on with the housework and preparing extra food to supplement the meals made by Stacy. They even managed to take Missy for a gentle, leisurely walk after lunch. It tired Harry out, but he maintained that he felt better for it.

However, the peace was broken when Jason and Danny dropped by to visit after college let out. Missy was excited to see her friends. After giving out doggy kisses and receiving a fuss, she settled at Harry's feet again.

Jason and Danny were excited at Michael's idea of repeating the Christmas show they had put on at The Boot and wanted to talk with Michael about it. Michael listened intently while the younger lads told them how they had put the show together in a short space of time. Some staff and volunteers had moved on since then, but both lads felt the remainder would do it again. The talk then was about how they could fill the gaps created by those who had left. Naturally, Michael was featured in most of the ideas. Danny suggested that Michael and Stacy perform You're The One That I Want, dressing in character, and maybe add one or two other songs from Grease.

“I just wish I still had my guitar.” Michael hadn't realised he had said aloud what he was thinking.

“What? You play the guitar as well?” Jason asked excitedly.

“I used to,” Michael sighed. “But when we lost our home, I sold it to buy food. It was a case of needs must.” Michael was lost in his thoughts but put on a more positive face. “I'll buy a new one when I can afford it. It's not a priority. Other things are more important.”

As they continued to plan, no one noticed Harry slip out of the room. Nor did they notice when Harry opened the door to let Charlie in as he arrived back home from work.

Harry signalled for Charlie to be quiet and follow him. He unlocked the door to the only bedroom that the lads had not been in and ushered Charlie into the room. The room was a shrine to Harry's son, Michael. Harry pointed out items for Charlie to carry downstairs. Initially confused, Charlie objected realising what the room and its contents meant to Harry.

“Charlie, while it sits here gathering dust it is being wasted. My Michael would not want that. He would want it to be making music and making people happy. Your Michael can do that. Then it is not wasted and would be a fitting tribute to my son. My Michael will also be helping your Michael, and I know he would want me to do this.” Harry took out a handkerchief and wiped away a tear.

Understanding, Charlie hugged Harry and kissed him on the cheek saying, “Thank you.” He then did as Harry asked, and quietly and quickly picked up what he could. With his hands full, Charlie followed Harry downstairs. Harry carefully and lovingly carried a black, polished hard case.

All eyes turned at the sound of the door opening as Harry re-entered the lounge closely followed by Charlie.

“Michael, will this help? It was my son's. He treasured it, and I know he would approve if I gave it to you. I know you will treasure it as much as he did. I hope you will love playing it like my...well, it is yours now. It may need tuning.” Everyone heard the brief hitch in Harry’s speech and saw the small tear that accompanied Harry’s smile.

Michael took the case that Harry held out and placing it on the floor he slowly opened it. His eyes nearly popped out of his head as he lovingly stroked the Tanglewood TSB 59 BL semi-hollow electric guitar. The wood grain showed through its blue finish. It looked magnificent and well cared for.

Michael's voice was full of emotion as he realised how much this meant to Harry and the magnitude of the offer. “B...But Gramps... I can't, I can't accept this. It's too much.”

“Yes, you can and you will,” Harry said with conviction. His decision would not be swayed. “It's no use to me, and if it's to remain in my house, it should be loved and cherished and played by someone who will appreciate and value it! Not left to gather dust. If you don’t accept it, I'll sell it to the second-hand shop in Chorlton.”

With tears of gratitude in his eyes, Michael threw himself at Harry and hugged him. “Thank you, Gramps. I promise to look after it with the love and care it deserves.”

Harry had to peel Michael's arms from around his neck, then he gently pushed him away so he could speak. “I know you will. Now, let's hear if it still has a tune in it.”

Charlie put down the forty-watt amp and other equipment he was carrying and helped Michael set everything up. After tuning the guitar, Michael asked if there were any requests and was told by Harry to play what was in his heart. Michael placed the guitar strap around his neck, then stood and closed his eyes to calm himself and think. After a brief pause, he played a guitar solo of “The Sound Of Silence”, and another Simon and Garfunkel hit, “Bridge Over Troubled Water”. To end the set, Michael played a guitar solo of The Carpenters song, “Yesterday Once More”.

When Michael finished playing, he stood with his eyes still closed. He could not hear a sound. He finally opened his eyes and was greeted by the sight of Jason and Danny, speechless for once, with a look of awe on their faces. Charlie's face sported the biggest and cheesiest grin Michael could remember. Missy was staring up at Harry with love. Harry had tears running down his cheeks but was smiling happily.

“Well? Was that okay?” Michael hesitantly asked.

“It was more than okay. That...that was beautiful, just beautiful.” Harry beamed, his voice filled with loving appreciation.

The lads started to speak only to be silenced by Janice speaking from the kitchen door. “Michael sweetheart, if I wasn't twenty-odd years too old and married I could fall in love with you on the spot,” Janice gushed, causing Michael to blush. Michael removed the guitar strap from around his neck, unplugged the amp, and then reverently placed the guitar back in its case.

Janice chatted with Harry before leaving with a skip in her step. She had left rhubarb crumble, one of Harry's favourites, and a jug of custard for them to eat later. A short while after, as time was getting on, Jason and Danny left for Danny’s home eager to share the news of Michael's guitar-playing skills.

With the house quiet again, Michael made Harry a mug of tea, left him to watch the early evening news while he tidied up after the company, and put away the guitar and other equipment. He kept thinking about his dream and wondered if he really could have a chance at a career in musical theatre. While Michael took time out for his thoughts and Harry settled to watch the news, Charlie went for a walk with Missy. After their evening meal, the conversation centred around restoring the Mini Cooper.

 

Jason and Danny arrived at the Barton household in time for the evening meal. They were full of excitement talking about Michael playing the guitar. They tried to include Liam in the conversation but found him to be tired and irritable. When Steve let them know that Liam had an intense physio session that day, they understood. It wasn't just the physiotherapy that tired him, it was also the way he constantly pushed himself to walk unaided. It had been a tough few years for the teenager since the accident that had severely damaged his legs and taken his birth parents, but he refused to let it beat him. With patience and gentle persistence from Danny and Jason, Liam cheered up a little and joined them in conversation. Talk of possibly repeating The Boot Christmas show gave Liam something else to focus on and lifted his spirits.

 

Stacy was woken from his afternoon nap when he heard the sound of the front door closing. It was dark outside, and the house was quiet. After a refreshing shower that energized him, Stacy dressed and went downstairs to find Max drinking tea in the kitchen. Max looked lovingly at his husband and got up to pour a drink for Stacy from the freshly made pot of tea.

“Thanks, hun.” Stacy sat to drink his tea. “I'll make us a bite to eat when I've had this.”

“No rush, I could make something if you want?” Max glanced across the table. “Besides, Danny and Jason called me. They want you to call them before your shift tonight.”

“Uh oh. Why do I get the feeling that I'm about to be strong-armed and have my arm twisted behind my back?”

“Because he's our son, and you know him and his boyfriend so well.” Max chuckled knowing, what the conversation would be about.

Stacy sighed and reached for his phone. When the call connected his ears were assaulted by excited chatter describing Michael's talents playing the guitar. When the excitement died down a little, Stacy was told in detail what happened at Harry's house. He was not allowed to hang up until Jason and Danny had elicited a promise that he would speak to Jeff at The New Boot about Michael's idea. When he came off the phone he could smell lasagne and garlic bread cooking. Max was not the best cook, but when he found homemade gems like these in the freezer he would happily cook a meal.

 

Stacy arrived at The New Boot to find two other regular volunteers, Adele and Sue, in the kitchen cooking simple but nourishing meals for the expected guests. The young ladies were students and working a half shift that night. Jeff and Andy were in the dining room checking that everything was ready for when the guests arrived. Stacy joined Adele and Sue in the kitchen and started making the hot drinks everyone would clamour for on arrival. Stacy had only worked with them once before and didn't know them very well, so engaged them in conversation to rectify that.

He was surprised to learn that they were both studying performing arts at Manchester College, this got them sharing their different experiences on stage. Soon enough, Michael and his ambitions of a career in musical theatre crept into the conversation.

The conversation in the kitchen was overheard by Andy who smiled to himself. “What are you thinking of?” Jeff asked.

“Well, you know you've said a few times that The Boot Christmas Show was one of the best experiences you've had?” Andy's thoughts were racing through his head.

“Yes, it definitely was. So why bring it up now?” Jeff was curious.

“I have an idea, do you trust me?” Andy was grinning widely.

“I hope I don't regret this. Okay, I trust you.”

“Then follow me.” Andy led the way into the kitchen.

When Andy and Jeff entered the kitchen Sue was the first to see them. Taking Stacy by the hand she spoke excitedly, “Jeff's here now, ask him. Go on, ask him. Adele and I think it's a great idea, we'll support you. And you did promise the boys, so ask.”

“What's all of the excitement? And ask me what?” Jeff wasn't sure if he should be worried or not.

Nervously, Stacy turned to face Jeff and spoke about Michael's request. He had already told Jeff about Michael and given him some of Michael's background, but this time he spoke in more detail. He went on to tell Jeff about showing Michael the DVD of The Boot Christmas show and how Michael, with the support of Jason, Danny and Liam, would like to stage something similar for The New Boot. When Stacy finished speaking he felt more confident seeing Jeff's big smile.

Jeff looked at Andy and roared with laughter. “You thought you had a good idea, did you? Well sorry Andy, it looks like the boys are more than one step ahead of you and beat you to it.”

Seeing only the good in everything he heard, Andy joined in the laughter and clapped in delight. Andy was looking forward to meeting Michael and wanted to help get the Christmas show started.

“Stacy, would you ask Michael to bring his guitar with him tomorrow night, please? I'd like to hear him play.” Andy requested.

So, Janice was sly in using emotional blackmail on Harry, did she do the right thing? Do you agree or disagree with her method? And Michael shows us more of his talent, what do you think of his performance?
Let me know what you think, and please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know. I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Chapter 10 will be posted next Tuesday.
Thank you to @raven1 for all of your hard work editing and beta reading helping and supporting me in the writing of this story.
Copyright © 2023 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 34
  • Fingers Crossed 1
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..