Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 3,635 Words
  • 1,261 Views
  • 52 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Charlie and Michael Baxter lost their father at a young age. They have been brought up by a hard-working mother who loved and treasured her boys. Unfortunately, she passed away before they finished college and through no fault of their own, they found themselves homeless. This is their story.

What Happened To The Baxter Boys - 16. Epilogue

After the New Year celebrations, Harry decided it was time to re-organise the house to work better for 'his family'. The first thing Harry tackled was Mikey’s bedroom. Harry wanted to keep cherished memories of Mikey but make room for his new sons, Charlie and Michael to have a room each. There were many mementoes for Harry to keep, his favourite being a folder that Michael had created. It was his personal journal. It held photos taken over the years of family holidays and outings. Each collection of photos was accompanied by admission ticket stubs, small trinkets that Michael collected as a child and handwritten notes telling of his 'adventures' with his mum and dad. Michael had kept his birthday cards and notes of his parties. The last entries were from his twenty-first birthday. Everything was a testament to the love he had for his parents and contained his hopes and fears, dreams and goals for the future. This was a treasure to be kept, one that was more valuable than the items that had been stolen from Harry.

This reminded Harry that he had not collected the jewellery and other items that had been taken. They were still at the police station. Harry made arrangements with Max and Stacy to go with him to collect everything. When that was done, Max fitted a safe for Harry to keep his valuables in. Again, Max refused any payment for the work. Harry didn’t argue, but it did result in Harry making donations of five hundred pounds each to The Albert Kennedy Trust and The New Boot in his son's name. If he couldn’t pay for Max’s help, Harry was going to pay it forward!

After Harry kept what mementoes he wanted, the remaining furniture, soft furnishings, and clothing were donated to The Recycle Shop. Mikey’s room was then decorated and refurnished to Michael's taste, while what had been the guest bedroom was decorated and refurnished to Charlie's taste. The irony was not lost on anyone as Michael's room became Michael's room. The re-organising and decorating continued as a joint venture between Harry, Charlie and Michael until the house was completely redecorated and became their home.

The youths who attempted to assault Stacy and the boys while attempting to rob Harry appeared at Manchester Crown Court. Under legal advice, they entered a plea of guilty to charges brought under the Joint Enterprise Act of Attempted Armed Robbery and Attempted Assault with A Deadly Weapon, namely a bladed weapon with a seven-inch blade. The Crown Prosecution Service successfully argued that the following aggravating factors be taken into consideration: the offences were committed while on bail for other serious offences, there was the intention to cause serious harm to persons within the property, and the offence of robbery intentionally targeted a recently bereaved elderly veteran of the armed services. They were each sentenced to fifteen years imprisonment with a recommendation they not be considered for parole for a minimum of ten years.

 

Harry kept his promise to Janice to help her buy a dog of her own. In response to an appeal on TV, they visited Manchester Dogs’ Home on several occasions. Each time they visited, Janice came away very upset and in tears. She could not understand why some people spent hundreds of pounds buying a puppy to abandon it after a few weeks. After listening to Harry’s advice, Janice did not adopt a dog until she could control her emotions better.

It was approaching February when Janice felt ready to adopt and wanted to visit Manchester Dogs’ Home again. Harry contacted the manager of the home and asked for permission to bring Missy with him and Janice to help choose a dog for Janice to adopt. As Missy would spend time with the adopted dog, they wanted to make sure that the dogs would accept each other. It was an unusual request, one that had never been made before. After several days, the manager contacted Harry to agree to the request. It was on the condition that if Missy showed any aggression toward their dogs, they would have to leave. Harry was happy to accept the conditions, and an appointment was made for when members of the public were not normally admitted.

Harry and Janice, accompanied by Missy, were taken on a tour of the kennels by the manager. She was impressed by Missy's good behaviour and manners. They were halfway down the second aisle when Missy stopped and sat outside what appeared to be an empty kennel run. This surprised Harry as she refused to move, staring through the chainlink fence.

“Mr Willets, is everything okay?” the manager asked.

“I'm not sure,” replied Harry. “This kennel looks empty, but Missy doesn't want to move.”

Janice and the manager walked back to Harry. Before anyone said anything, Missy looked up to Harry, then back into the kennel and gave out one short, sharp bark. After several seconds had passed, two small furry faces could be seen peering out the kennel door at the end of the run. Missy lay down and whined. Then, the furry faces moved as two small and cute but undernourished pups slowly walked up to the fence near Missy. Missy stood and walked to the fence, trying to lick the pups as if she was cleaning them. Soon, the pups came to life and jumped at the fence to get closer to Missy.

One of the kennel staff, a young-looking girl, stood by, nearly crying. “It's a miracle! They won't come near us or the other dogs. They act like they're scared of us all.”

“Mr Willets, if I open the gate, would you let Missy off her lead, please?” Harry nodded. The manager was watching closely. This was unusual, but if it helped the pups, she would do anything.

Missy walked through the open gate to the pups. After licking them, she lay down and played with the lively balls of brown and white fluff. The best anyone could tell, they were crossbreeds with a lot of cocker spaniel showing through. After a short time, Missy stood and used her nose to push the pups toward the gate, then stepped over them, going to Janice and Harry who were crouching down. Giving them both a lick, she looked toward the pups who had followed her. The pups went to Janice and Harry and licked their hands, and then they started to nuzzle their hands as if craving for fuss. Unsurprisingly, the pups got the fuss they craved. The kennel maid, now smiling, and the manager joined in, and the pups lapped it up.

“Are you going to adopt one of them?” The kennel maid wanted to know.

Janice chuckled and spoke to Missy. “What do you think, Missy?” Missy gave two short, soft barks. “No, Missy says both of them. Isn't that right, Missy?”

Missy replied again with two short barks, and everyone laughed. Two hours later, after filling in a small mountain of paperwork and making a sizeable donation, Janice drove home with Harry in the passenger seat, and Missy with the two pups settled in the back seat. The main topic of conversation on the way home was what to call the pups. Eventually, Janice decided to wait and see what ideas Emma, her daughter, Charlie and Michael came up with.

When Janice parked on her drive, the only person at home was Emma. She was watching re-runs of an old American detective series on the TV. Emma paid no attention to Janice, Harry, Missy and the pups coming in until the pups started nipping at her toes. Her initial reaction was to scream and cuss, but as soon as she saw the pups, they quickly had a place in her heart. After hearing that they needed names, she decided they should be named after her favourite detectives, so they became Cagney and Lacey.

 

Max's New Year re-organisation had been successful, and his new employees fit in well. The smaller team headed by either Billy or George, depending on the job, was working through the backlog of smaller jobs and creating opportunities for further work. When Max metaphorically took a step back to evaluate matters, he decided that he needed his husband's support in seeking advice before he and his company became overwhelmed. Of course, Stacy just told Max to ‘get busy and do it’.

Kevin produced a financial report that confirmed they were in a strong financial position. Kevin's advice was that Max should move forward by creating a Limited Company and transferring all existing contracts and business assets to the new Limited Company. This would ensure a separation of business and personal assets and finances, further strengthening the finances of the business and having additional beneficial effects regarding business and personal taxation and liabilities.

Following the formation of M Robins Building Contractors Ltd, alterations were made at the work yard in Trafford Park to create offices. This was seen as essential to accommodate the business paperwork and extra admin created by increased work. Max employed a full-time admin clerk recommended by Jonathon, Christian's business manager and financial advisor, to manage the office. As Max started to work more from the office, he employed two more full-time experienced builders and an apprentice to work on-site. Ryan, the new labourer, had his status changed to apprentice, and his girlfriend, Amy, was employed part-time as an admin clerk in the office.

With business going well, Max and Stacy started investing in property. This was a new venture for them, investing in their future.

 

Michael started college in early January, and after some initial shyness, he soon settled down and became popular with his fellow students, earning the respect of his course tutors. Michael's participation in classes not only showcased his singing and musical talents but also helped him build and improve on his already considerable acting abilities.

The course tutors placed Michael in the top fifty per cent of students in the course. When they heard of the Christmas show that he assisted in producing, directing and performing in, they asked if he could produce any evidence of his part in the show. As the show had been recorded for future use at The New Boot, Michael was able to obtain a copy of it on DVD. Within a week of being asked, Michael produced a copy of the DVD and statements from Jeff and Stacy confirming the duties he performed as assistant director/producer. A week after handing them over, Michael was asked to give a presentation to his fellow students and the students attending year two of the course. Adele and Sue, being two of the year two students, were excited to see the DVD.

After the presentation and resulting feedback from students and course tutors, the Course Director granted Michael credits for the missed term and strongly suggested he apply for Equity Membership immediately. He also offered to accelerate Michael to year two of the course. After considering the offer, Michael chose to remain in year one and applied for Equity Membership.

Ian and Kevin were very disappointed when Michael gave up his part-time job but understood his decision. They made sure that Michael understood that they would happily employ him during college vacation times and any other time in the future if he wanted to return.

With Stacy's help and guidance, Michael replaced the lost income by performing in selected bars and clubs under his Equity-registered name, Baxter Willets. Initially, Michael was the support act, with his first few gigs supporting Miss Daisy Chain. One of those performances was at The Nightingale Club in Birmingham. At the end of the night, he was invited back as the main act for a much larger fee. This was the first of his gigs as the main attraction. Michael, professionally known as Baxter Willets, was fast gaining a following. He was always accompanied by either Max and Stacy or Brad and Charlie, his biggest and most vocal fans.

 

Brad's birthday, February the second, fell on a Thursday. Brad and Charlie decided to have a private celebration. The evening started at an Italian bistro in Chorlton, where they enjoyed a delicious traditional Italian meal and shared a bottle of Soave. Later, in Brad's studio apartment, they committed to each other by agreeing to be exclusive. This was sealed by taking their relationship to the next level as they experienced passionate lovemaking, giving themselves to each other and experiencing the giving and receiving of their love in the most intimate way possible.

The following Sunday, with the landlord's agreement, Brad and Charlie invited Michael, Harry, Max, Stacy, Kate, Steve, and the boys to join them in the lounge of Churchills for afternoon drinks and a light buffet. Brad and Stacy also invited as many of Blond Mikey's friends as they could contact. To Brad's surprise, Churchills’ lounge had been closed off for the private party, and a large number of Blond Mikey's friends attended.

Brad enjoyed the celebrations, and the cake that Kate made helped to make it special. When Brad and Charlie announced that they were officially a couple, they were showered with congratulations accompanied by whoops and cheers from the happy crowd.

Brad didn't forget that he also intended for Harry to meet his son's friends and introduce him to as many as possible. Although Harry was moved to tears several times, he enjoyed hearing how his son had helped and befriended so many people. Discovering how his son was loved and held in high regard by so many brought both comfort and pride to Harry.

Brad and Stacy agreed to take Blond Mikey's friends to Southern Cemetery to pay their respects. They hoped to arrange a memorial service for the same day. Harry promised to attend with them. John, Churchills’ landlord, did not know Blond Mikey, but he had heard a lot about him. After speaking with Harry and Mikey’s friends, John made an offer that astounded them.

John offered to hold a memorial show in honour of Mikey. The intention was to raise cash for a charity that Mikey would approve of. The following month, Stacy and Michael, as Miss Daisy Chain and Baxter Willets, led a line-up of entertainers performing at the packed bar. By way of donations collected at the door, tins strategically placed on the bar, and 'bucket runs’ through the audience, a very considerable amount was collected. When the performers added their fees, and John added twenty-five per cent of his profits from the bar, the total raised was almost four thousand pounds. At Harry's direction, proceeds were split equally between The Albert Kennedy Trust, The LGBT Foundation and The New Boot, and donated in the name of Michael Willets.

 

Work on the Mini was coming along nicely. Most of the shell was salvageable, and after being taken back to bare metal, it needed a few minor rust spots treated. Both front wings, the bonnet, the boot lid, and the front and rear subframes were replaced. After being rust-proofed and primed, with Harry's permission due to the high cost, the complete body was sent to a specialist for a respray. After several coats of paint, each one individually baked, it received a baked-on coat of lacquer and returned in showroom condition. The Almond Green (GN37) body and Old English White (WT3) roof looked very impressive.

When the body was returned, it was completely covered in a protective wrap while the remainder of the work was carried out. When it came to refitting the running gear and other mechanical parts that needed to be re-attached, the original parts were used wherever they were serviceable except for the braking system, where all new parts, complying with the original spec, were used. The original wiring loom was in surprisingly good condition and refitted. Charlie and Joe rebuilt and reconditioned the engine, including the carburettor and gearbox, from scratch. Everything was in full working order. The only thing left to do was refit the interior and the external chrome work. After thorough but very careful cleaning, all of the original upholstery and interior were refitted, with only the glass in the dials being replaced. Most of the original exterior chrome work was refitted. Only the front grill was replaced.

It had taken a lot of man-hours over many weeks to accomplish, but finally, Harry's Austin Morris Mini Cooper S was fully restored and given a full twelve-month MOT certificate. It had taken almost five months of hard work, with the final cost coming in over budget at nearly three thousand pounds, this was mainly due to the specialist respray it had been given. All of the replacement parts were either OEM parts, original equipment manufacturers, or HOE parts, heritage original equipment.

Harry's reaction when he saw the beautifully finished Mini was one of overwhelming emotion. That was when Joe surprised Harry by telling Harry that he had entered the Triumph and the Mini in the Classic Car Show at Tatton Park back in February. It was two weeks away, from the second to the fourth of June. Both cars were entered and accepted. The car was free and came with two complimentary tickets per car. They would be examined and judged in competition with others.

That weekend was a great success despite some light rain on Sunday. Spencer went with Joe in the Triumph, while Harry and Charlie went in the Mini. Brad, Michael, Max, Stacy and Jason followed in Max's car. Kate, Steve and the boys were last in the mini convoy.

Joe was happy, and Harry was happy for Joe when his Triumph was given a Commendation. The Triumph attracted a lot of admiration and attention.

When the expert judges looked at the Mini, they were astounded at the amount of documented history that Harry had. When the Mini was given a Highly Commended Award, Harry, Charlie and Joe were ecstatic. The showroom condition Mini Cooper S attracted the attention of many spectators and the Mini Owners Clubs. Unfortunately, one rather belligerent man had to be escorted away as he would not accept that the Mini was not for sale even when he offered £65,000.

After the show, Joe and Spencer decided to open a classic car repair shop. Although it would be on the same premises, it would be a separate business from the garage. Charlie remained working for Spencer while occasionally working for Joe. The plan was that if the classic car business gained enough business, Charlie would work full-time for Joe.

 

Thursday, June 20th, 2012

Brad checked the rearview mirror as he pulled onto the M65. The traffic was heavy, and he expected it to thin out as they neared home. It was approaching 6:45 pm. If there were no hold-ups, the journey should take no more than two hours, hopefully less. It had been a long, emotional day, one that Charlie and Michael agreed they needed to get past together. It was the first time Charlie and Michael visited their mother's grave since leaving Burnley and two years since she passed away. It had been a long and emotional day and they were all quiet on the way home.

They had spent the morning at Burnley Cemetery, where Charlie introduced Brad to his mum as his boyfriend and asked that she approve. Michael referred to Brad as his other big brother, the one she never got to meet but would have loved. The three of them talked as though she was there and a part of their conversation. Before they left, all three kissed their fingers and touched the marker stone, vowing to set a proper headstone before the year was out.

Afterwards, they visited Charlie and Michael's old college in the hope of seeing some old friends. Unfortunately, their friends had now finished college and moved on. They did see a few of their old tutors, who were pleased to see them and find out they were now well on their way to success in their careers. Their tutors wished them well before they left.

After a quick bite to eat at McDonald's, they spent the afternoon in Briercliffe, where Charlie and Michael grew up. Their old home on Duke Street had new tenants. They didn't disturb them, but they were recognised by several of their old neighbours who insisted on plying them with tea, sandwiches and cake, all wanting to catch up with their news. One of the neighbours, Renee Hogan, otherwise known as Mrs News of The World, insisted they see Reverend Dalton before they left. Apparently, the reverend had something for them.

Brad was glad that he insisted on them checking it out. Reverend Dalton was very happy to see them and invited them into the Vicarage for a chat and cup of tea. Before they left, he showed them two large boxes, which were now in the boot. Apparently, a couple of the neighbours went into the lad's old house after they left. When they noticed some of the items left behind, they packed what they could and asked the Reverend to look after them in case the lads ever came back.

The boxes contained some of their mother's treasured possessions, including photos and documents. It may not seem much, but now they had something to remind them of their past and photos of two happy boys and their mum.

The photos led to tears falling from both boy’s eyes. This time the tears were not sad, but thankful for the love of their mother, their new lives, and the joy and pride it would have given their mom. They now had a future. As they held on to each other tightly, Brad added his embrace to hold them both.

First my apologies for the slight delay in posting the epilogue, this was to ensure that the editing was fully completed in order to bring you the best read possible. I hope you will understand.
I think you will agree that this is the right time to end this story and I do hope you have enjoyed it. There will be more stories to come after I've taken a short break.
Please leave your reactions they are appreciated and please leave your comments, I look forward to reading and answering them.
I'm hoping that you have enjoyed the story enough to leave a reaction to the story, or better still recommend it and leave a story review it really will be appreciated.
As usual, I give my thanks to my long-suffering and very hard-working editor @raven1, I hope you will too. I could not have brought this to you without his help and support.
Copyright © 2023 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 32
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



20 minutes ago, Cane23 said:

A good future for a good people! The way how should it always be. Unfortunately, world is cruel place, but this story tells us that there is always hope. 

Thank you @Cane23 for commenting. I have enjoyed your support and reading your comments throughout the story. :hug:

  • Love 5
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Thank you Chris for this wonderful story about two 'lost' youths Charlie and Michael Baxter; Michael's recovery from pneumonia and being homeless at sixteen and eighteen after the tragic death of their Mum. About being found and looked after by Max and Stacey. Finding a future that keeps them together as the only 'family' they have left, and in turn helping an old man, Harry Wallets, reconnect to the world outside his flat, after the tragic death of his only son "Blond Mikey".

Michael Baxter's love of singing and the arts continues with him entering Uni with a promising future in the Arts. Charlie discovers his love and knack for auto mechanics and helps completely restore Harry's 'vintage' Mini Cooper S. While the £3,000 cost may have seemed high to Harry, the judging at a 'Classic Car Show', an award for the restoration and an offer of £65,000 astonished Harry. (Who kept the car for Charlie and Michael, so they could drive him about).

73b1f9f5bdac604b39cc9b4e06bac473.jpg

They start the New Year with Harry asking them to stay with him as 'new  sons' which they accept.

Charlie, his boyfriend Brad and Michael make a trip to their old 'home' after two years to visit their Mum's cemetery, where the four of them had a conversation, as if Mum was sitting with them, sharing tears of happiness for their new lives. They visit former neighbours and receive family mementos of them and their Mom, thought to be lost after they became homeless, in the safe keeping of a local vicar who turns them over to the Baxter Boys.

A wonderful Epilogue. :read:

Looking forward to upcoming stories. 

:hug:

 

Thank you @Anton_Cloche for commenting and for your support throughout the story. It has been a pleasure to write Charlie and Michael's story for an appreciative readership. I'm sure we will hear from Charlie and Michael again at some point in the future, in the meantime, there are other stories to be told in The Boot World. Thank you for the picture of the Mini too, it allows other readers to see what Harry's would look like after restoration. :hug:

Craig

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..