Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 5,236 Words
  • 7,931 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

HMS Valiant - 34. Chapter 34

January 1, 1800

HMS Valiant

The Aegean Sea

 

“Before we discuss these matters, there are a few things I must attend to,” Granger said.

“Indeed? I will be interested to see what is more important than our discussion,” Daventry said with mild annoyance.

“Arranging quarters for you, attending to your staff, and making sure we are on the correct course, all demand timely attention,” Granger said. “You may relax here, or you may join me, as you see fit.”

“I am reluctant to deprive myself of your charming company, after being reunited with you after all these months,” Daventry said. Granger led him out onto the quarterdeck and introduced Daventry to all of his officers, something he should have done when the peer had first arrived. Both Treadway and Clifton knew him already, and Kingsdale had encountered him while under the tutelage of Granger’s father.

“Winkler, I’ll need you to establish a sleeping cabin for Lord Daventry in my quarters,” Granger instructed. “Dinner would be welcome as well. Lord Daventry will take his meals with me.”

“Of course, my lord,” Winkler said.

“That is most generous of you, Granger,” Daventry quipped.

“Ah, but there is a downside to that, in that if you annoy me, you will then be relegated to dining on the King’s bounty,” Granger teased.

“His Majesty usually provides an adequate table.”

“Not on board his ships. In this situation that consists of salt beef and pork, and weevilly biscuits” Granger teased.

“Then that is an extra incentive for me to remain charming,” Daventry said, with his boyish grin.

“Mr. Weston, I need you and Mr. Meurice to join me in the chartroom so we can plot our course.” They followed Granger to his chartroom, joined by Daventry. “We are going to Rhodes.”

“Rhodes, my lord?” Weston asked, unable to hide his surprise. He had assumed Valiant would simply retrace her steps and return to England. Rhodes was a bit out of the way.

“Rhodes, Mr. Weston,” Granger said, identifying it on the map. All of them, Daventry included, looked at him curiously.

“Of course, my lord,” Weston said nervously, since he had committed the sin of appearing to question Granger’s orders.

“I will trust you to guide us safely through these islands, but I am to be called if there is any need,” Granger emphasized.

“Aye aye, my lord,” Weston said. They agreed on a course, and then Granger led Daventry back into his cabin, and into his quarter gallery.

“It’s a bit cooler here,” Daventry complained.

“It is, but it is out of the way of the hubbub as we make room to accommodate you,” Granger said. “That is the price you pay for being so rude as to drop in unannounced.”

“I did not realize you were such a stickler for etiquette,” Daventry said. “I will watch my manners in the future.”

“That is always advisable,” Granger said. “You were going to Tenedos to see Major Jardines?”

“He is a most disreputable sort,” Daventry said contemptuously.

“He is my friend,” Granger asserted. He was unwilling to tolerate anyone denigrating Jardines to his face.

“And you have been known to associate with disreputable men,” Daventry joked, backtracking.

“As present company would indicate,” Granger said with a smile. “And why is Major Jardines so disreputable?”

“I am not sure why he left England, but before that he was linked to Arthur. Surely that is enough?” Daventry had been at school with Granger and Arthur Teasdale, and knew of Arthur and his attraction to other men. Daventry and Arthur had never been close, primarily because Daventry was one of the boys in school who had tortured Arthur mercilessly. It wasn’t until Granger had taken Arthur under his protection, more or less, that the others had left him alone.

“I have been linked to Arthur as well.”

“The talk was that they were sodomites, and had a lover’s quarrel, and that is why Jardines left,” Daventry said, ignoring Granger’s friendship with Arthur.

“And that makes them disreputable?”

“In some circles,” Daventry said. “I personally do not care a fig, but it has damaged Jardines’ reputation.”

“I have learned that when one is living in a glass house, it is inadvisable to throw stones,” Granger said with a smile, since Daventry’s reputation was certainly not above reproach.

“You are suggesting that I am a sodomite?” Daventry asked with a raised eyebrow. That was actually the farthest thing from Granger’s mind. Daventry had only shown an interest in ladies as far as he knew, and he had attracted quite a few of them into his bed.

“I would not put anything past you,” Granger said. “But your reputation is certainly not spotless.”

“And you make a good point,” he agreed. “I was going to Tenedos to see Jardines. There was an allegation that he was in league with the Guild, and he seemed to be the ideal candidate to assist in their latest venture. I do not know exactly what it is, but I suspect it is directed at John Company, and India.”

“Major Jardines told me that we had won a great victory in India, and had conquered Mysore,” Granger said. “Tipu Sultan was killed.”

“That is interesting,” Daventry said, even as he leaned back to ponder that. “There is concern that Mornington will soon absorb all of India into the company.”

“I would think people would be happy about that,” Granger said.

“People are worried that it is too expensive, and much more trouble than it is worth,” Daventry countered. “They are questioning whether John Company is building an empire, or is a trading concern.”

“It seems to me they are doing both.”

“And that is why people are worried, but no one is more worried about that than the Guild. Their dream of tapping into the Eastern trade is being slaughtered by Mornington’s gains.”

“As John Company grows stronger and bigger and more entrenched, they are more difficult to dislodge,” Granger concluded.

“Precisely,” Daventry said. “There is speculation the Guild has developed a plan to stop Mornington’s expansion plans.”

“How will they do that?” Granger asked, even though he already knew the answer.

“A large amount of specie has been purportedly transferred offshore,” Daventry said. “The Bank of England noticed it, because of a shortage of coin in circulation.”

“So they are stockpiling money somewhere, and they will use that to stop Mornington?” Granger asked.

“That is the suspicion,” Daventry said. “We do not know where the money is going, or how it will be sent. I was dispatched here to meet with Jardines and determine the plan.”

“What if he would not reveal it to you?”

“In the secret service, we do not always restrict ourselves to conventional means,” Daventry said, in deadly seriousness. It was interesting to see the transformation in Daventry. He was normally a polished courtier, and one would probably, upon meeting him, have not credited him with much personal depth or intellect, yet here was showing that beneath that veneer, there existed an intelligent and ruthless man.

Granger nodded, knowing that Daventry would have probably had to torture Jardines to get the information out of him, and even then, he may not have succeeded. “You would have found him well-entrenched in Tenedos, and difficult to assail.”

“There were British troops there, and Kemal Bey is not immune to pressure himself,” Daventry said.

“In the end, you did not have to resort to such measures,” Granger said. “Is there any reason, once this problem is resolved, that Major Jardines cannot be left alone, in peace, in Tenedos?”

Daventry eyed Granger carefully, understanding that this was part of the bargain. “There is not. He will be safe from us. The Guild may have different ideas, but there is not much we can do about that.”

“Perhaps they will be busy with other challenges,” Granger said with a smile.

“Begging your pardon, my lords,” Winkler said gently, interrupting them. “Lord Daventry’s quarters are ready, as is dinner.”

“Excellent,” Granger said. He led Daventry into the cabin, showed him his quarters, and then they sat at the dining table. “See that we are not disturbed.”

“Aye aye, my lord,” Winkler said, and left them. Granger prepared plates for both him and Daventry, and watched the surprise on Daventry’s face as he took his first bite.

“This food is marvelous!”

“My chef is renowned in the Royal Navy,” Granger said proudly. “I found him in an abandoned French ship during the siege of Toulon, and he has been with me since then. I have fought some of my greatest battles to keep him out of the hands of admirals and senior captains.”

“I am glad for your victory,” Daventry said. “It is quite likely, with this food as an incentive that I will be on my best behavior for this voyage.” They ate for a bit, enjoying the food, and then Granger rejuvenated their conversation.

“Lady Elgin was given a cypher, presumably by her father, and instructed to deliver it to Major Jardines in Tenedos,” Granger said.

“An excellent messenger,” Daventry noted. “No one would want to deal with her under any circumstance. I think the same people who arranged my marriage must have had a hand in his.”

“She was a good courier,” Granger said, chuckling. “Lord Elgin discovered the cypher, and gave it to me so I could make a copy.”

“So you have a copy of this code,” he mused.

“In the Royal Navy, we sometimes attract seamen who have not conducted themselves within the letter of the law,” Granger said.

“And sometimes you attract passengers like that,” Daventry joked.

“Indeed,” Granger agreed. “One of my men is a somewhat skilled forger. I was able to have the cypher changed and forged, so that when Lady Elgin delivered it, the message made no sense.”

“That’s brilliant!” Daventry gushed. “I shall have to recruit you into the secret service.” That bothered Granger, since he wasn’t telling Daventry these things to tout his own successes, he was telling him so he’d be able to ascertain whether the message was legitimate or not. For Daventry, he was just admiring the handiwork of someone working in his field, much as Granger would compliment a fellow captain who had won a splendid victory.

“I feel as if that is whom I’ve been working for on this entire voyage,” Granger said.

“So you had half of the equation, but you did not have the message,” he mused.

“I did not, but I interrupted Lady Elgin and Major Jardines,” Granger said.

“Were they clothed?” Daventry asked lasciviously.

“They were, fortunately,” Granger said. Even the thought of seeing Lady Elgin naked was enough to destroy his libido. “I was able to persuade Major Jardines to transfer the letter to me.”

“How did you do that?”

“I reminded him of the loyalty that he owed me, as his friend, and that the people he was involved with were out to harm me,” Granger said, “And I agreed to give him the 5000 pounds that the Guild had promised him.”

“In that way, he could maintain his honor and his loyalty while still pocketing a substantial amount of money,” Daventry concluded.

“Yes,” Granger said.

“And what did this message say?” Daventry asked.

“Evidently the Guild is planning to finance a rising in India, targeting the Maratha people in particular,” Granger explained. Granger got up from the table and went to his safe, and pulled out the paper on which he’d written the decoded message, and handed it to Daventry.

You will go to the island that housed the Colossus and find a ruined fortress high on a rock hill. Inside the fortress is a chapel, where you will find a priest with one eye. You will tell him these words, in this order: The Knights Live On In The Guild. You will say them first in French, and then in English.

He will give you 10,000 ounces of gold, along with several vials of rare gems, and two envelopes. One envelope is addressed ‘courier’, and contains further instructions for you. It also contains your initial payment of 5000 pounds. Another envelope is labeled Yashwant Rao Holkar. You will take this envelope, along with the gold and gems, to the City of Indore and deliver them to Yashwant Rao Holkar. This will complete your mission. Once delivery has been confirmed, an additional 5000 pounds will be transferred to you.

Daventry studied the message, reading it several times, and then sat back and took a drink of wine. “With the exception of the forces of Mysore under Tipu Sultan, the Maratha Empire is the last remaining power opposing John Company in Southern and Central India,” Daventry mused. “And now with the victory over Tipu, the Maratha’s are the only real challenge to Company rule.”


Yashwant Rao Holkar

“So this money, and these instructions, must be purposed to fund the Marathas so they can defeat John Company,” Granger concluded.

“And then the Guild will be able to take over John Company’s role in India,” Daventry said.

“I am confused by one thing,” Granger said. “I was under the impression that the Indian trade was significantly less valuable than it used to be, and that the key to making money in that country was to rule it, not to trade with it.” He’d learned that during his time in Calcutta.

“Then perhaps our friends in the Guild are designing their own state from which they can rule and influence world trade,” Daventry said. “Or maybe they think they can do a better job of making India profitable than John Company.”

“While we have not seen the chest of riches, it must be worth more than 250,000 pounds,” Granger said. “While that is a great deal of money, is it enough to fund a war against John Company?”

“Probably not, but it will be a first payment, and more can follow once the relationship is established,” Daventry said. “How will you handle this?”

“My intention was to go to Rhodes and find a fort on a rock with a one-eyed priest,” Granger said simply, making both him and Daventry laugh. “I am open to alternative plans.”

“That is about the only plan I can see in front of us,” he said. “When we land, I think that you should let me and my men handle the retrieval of this chest.”

“I am willing to let you and your men accompany the party that retrieves the chest,” Granger replied.

“You do not trust me?” Daventry challenged.

“I think it is in your interest, as well as mine, that we are both there to verify what happens,” Granger said firmly. “In addition, we would be advised to take a significant party with us to prevent any malfeasance.”

“And what will happen to the treasure we retrieve?” Daventry asked.

“I would submit that the government would be obliged to reimburse the 5000 pounds I must transfer to Jardines, but beyond that, I am not clear as to how it will be handled,” Granger said.

“I am willing to pledge that they will reimburse your expense,” he said. “Beyond that, I am not sure.”

“What do you mean?”

“I say this because I think it is highly unlikely that you will get to retain this as prize money,” Daventry said. “I suspect it will be seized by the treasury, perhaps under the auspices of the return of stolen goods.”

“And how does this issue impact our mission?” Granger asked, annoyed that Daventry would make him sound like a mercenary only out for money.

“I am merely noting that you may not be as lucky this time as you were with the Galleon you were bribed to escort to Manila,” Daventry said with a smile.

“I think it is futile to argue about the division of the spoils when we have a relatively thin lead to go on, and it is quite likely there are no spoils to be had,” Granger said. “But I think that based on the sensitive nature of this treasure, and the way it is retrieved; while it is unreasonable for us to expect it to count entirely as prize money, I think it is fair that at least a portion is allocated to my crew and your men as a reward.”

“I agree, and I’m sure that some portion will be allocated. The question is how big that portion will be.”

“So we are only guessing at the size of the portion?” Granger asked.

“I would think so,” Daventry agreed, “but I do not get to make that decision.”

“And will they share it with you and your men?” Granger asked.

“Hopefully, a piece of it,” he said smiling. “I am in much the same situation that you are in.” He took a drink of wine. “There is an alternative approach.”

“Go on,” Granger said.

“We could agree to treat whatever money they pay out as prize money. I envision an arrangement where you and I split the captain’s portion, while my men receive shares as if they were lieutenants.” Granger could see the beauty of that, and he could also see the advantage of having Daventry involved. He would know how to extract the largest share from the government, and he would do all the labor involved to do that extracting.

“I am amenable to that arrangement,” Granger said. He pulled out a piece of paper and pen, and drafted an agreement just as Daventry had outlined. He then made a copy, both of them signed it, and each took one of the copies. Granger managed to fight back the irritation as he did this at being reminded that he’d done much the same thing with Calvert when they’d been outside Callao. “As I am operating under Admiralty orders, there is no admiral’s share to divide. That gives you and me an extra eighth between us.”

“I knew that working with you would be profitable,” Daventry joked.

“And it comes with good food, and comfortable quarters,” Granger agreed.

“Here is to thwarting the Guild, and to making it a profitable venture,” Daventry said, holding his glass up. Granger toasted with him, and then they finished dining. As they did, Daventry became alarmed. “I fear I have committed an almost unforgivable sin.”

“And what have you done now?” Granger asked, slightly in jest.

Daventry got up and went to his dispatch bag, and brought Granger a sealed packet addressed to him. “These are letters and dispatches I was ordered to bring you.”

“I will be in a sorry state if this is full of letters telling me to beware of you,” Granger joked.

“I would think you would expect that,” Daventry said. “If you will pardon me for leaving you, I think I will retire to my cabin and settle in.”

Granger went into his quarter gallery and opened the packet. There were letters from many people, mostly congratulating him on his success in capturing the Spanish Treasure Fleet. Whoever had put this packet together had thoughtfully thrown in some newspaper issues so he could see how it was reported. There was a letter from Lord Grenville, applauding his conduct in Portugal, which meant that he had handled the idiotic ambassador there correctly. And there were orders from Spencer, telling him to fully cooperate with Daventry. Granger thought it was interesting that if Daventry had given him this packet in the first place, he would have been all but compelled to take him to Tenedos as he had directed. And finally, there were the personal letters. He read the latest from his father and from Cavendish, full of gossip and stories of home, and then he got to Caroline’s letter. Normally he would have opened hers first, to make sure that the children were alright, but he knew that his father would have told him if there were news of his family.

 

Dear George,

The papers have been effusive in their praise of how you handled the capture of the Spanish Treasure fleet, and I cannot tell you how proud of you we all are. As you requested, I made sure half the funds were set aside for whatever purpose you have, and in fact, I only invested a portion of the remainder. There were some coal mines in the north that had attracted my attention, and you provided me with funds to make that acquisition.

The children are all doing well, and miss you terribly. William can talk of nothing but how much he enjoyed sailing with you. I fear you have turned him into a sailor, which is usually not the recommended occupation for the heir to a peerage. When you return, I think you will be pleased to see what accomplished swimmers both he and Charlotte have become, and even Alexander is being introduced to the water at his young age.

I appreciated your letter removing your objections to me being in London. It is difficult to handle our affairs from Brentwood during the season, and this has made things much easier. I hope you know how terribly sorry I am that rumors of my conduct reached you, and cannot tell you how thankful I am that you defended my honor.

When we parted, it was not on the best of terms. I am so terribly sorry for that, and I am hoping that you will return safely to England and that when you do, you will be willing to let me address the issue that so rightfully vexed you.

Caroline.

There was much to digest in her letter, but most of it was between the lines. She was doing what she could to please him, and he could tell from her letter that she was willing to try and atone for her sins, such as they were. Granger’s anger at her had faded over this voyage, but unlike in the past when he’d been vexed with her, as the anger waned, the love he’d had for her did not resurge. He was not sure what Caroline wanted from their marriage at this point, but he was fairly confident that he could not offer the kind of love and devotion he had given her before. He put the letters in the packet, and put it in his safe, then went out onto the deck. And like so many times before, he began to pace his quarterdeck and think of home, and like those other times, he wondered what awaited him when he returned.

 


 

They’d spent two days descending the Aegean, and had run into winds that were dead foul for their trip. Now, the winds had shifted from the north, but were very weak. It seemed that the only thing it had brought with it was cold temperatures, for the weather had been unseasonably frigid, even for January. Today, it felt warmer, and Granger hoped that was a good sign. Daventry joined him on deck, just as Granger had finished giving his orders to his officers. “Good morning,” Granger said to him.

“Good morning,” Daventry responded. “Have you ascertained where we are?”

“If our calculations are correct, dawn should find us off the western coast of Rhodes.”

“That is good news,” he said. “I cannot imagine how you conjure up the patience to deal with these fluky winds. At least in the army, one has a horse, and one knows how fast the horse will go.”

“Ah, but then you ignore the geographical challenges my military brethren must face,” Granger said with a smile. “A river that is unfordable, a desert that is unfit for human life, or a mountain range that is impassable, can cause a bit of delay as well.”

“They are at least predictable,” he countered.

“I would submit that you tell that to a soldier who has encountered heavy rains and a rising river, and finds that his intended bridge has washed away,” Granger said.

“And as usual, you make a good point,” Daventry said. Dawn rose slowly, or so it seemed, and Granger found himself off the coast of Rhodes, a bit closer than he had hoped, but not dangerously so. They looked around, and this ship appeared much different than she had just a few days ago, and that was the result of the plan hatched by Granger and Daventry. They were concerned that the one eyed priest would see a naval vessel, and would be suspicious. It was much more likely that the Guild would make use of merchant vessels, or privateers. So they had transformed Valiant into just that, a merchant vessel, at least to an inexperienced eye. They removed half of the guns on her upper deck to more accurately reflect what a merchant ship would carry to ward off pirates, and then with some paint and other disguises, they’d made Valiant look quite commercial.

“Mr. Weston, lay us on the starboard tack,” Granger said. “I will be aloft.”

“I will join you,” Daventry said, with a bit of apprehension. Granger scaled up the shrouds to the mizzen top with ease, while Daventry took much longer, and appeared quite unsure of himself. “This is liable to dislodge my breakfast.”

Granger chuckled. “The movement of the ship is more extreme the higher you go. I think we will spare you from the main topgallant.”

Daventry followed his gaze forward and up, and nodded. “I think that is advisable. So we are looking for a fortress on a hill.”

“A ruined fortress on a rock hill,” Granger corrected. He gestured to the shore. “That appears to be a fortress, and it is on a hill.”

Daventry trained his glass on the place Granger looked, and together they evaluated it. “It is a fortress on a hill, but it does not appear to be ruined.”

“Nor is the hill much of a ‘rock hill’,” Granger noted. “We will continue further south.” And so they sailed, enjoying the coast of Rhodes, the warmer weather in this part of the Mediterranean, and the sunny skies. When they were almost to the southern tip of Rhodes, they sighted what looked like a large pile of rocks on top of a hill. “There!”

Monolithos, Rhodes

They evaluated this fortress, and indeed it was ruined. It appeared that most of the walls had decayed, to the point where there was little left but a central keep, but even that was significantly eroded. The area where the central part of the castle had been was now dominated by a chapel. It was one of those times where it was hard to know what they were looking for, but when it was found, they were certain of it. “That has to be it.”

It was situated on top of a rocky plateau, with sheer sides all around. “It appears there is a staircase of sorts one must climb to get there,” Granger noted. Staircase was perhaps not the best term, as the rock was at least 100 yards high. “Mr. Weston, heave to!”

“Aye aye, my lord,” he said. Valiant hovered off the coast, while Granger and Daventry carefully took in the fortress and its environs. For Daventry, his focus was on the land around the fortress. For Granger, it was on seeking a suitable anchorage.

“I must return to deck and guide us to that bay,” Granger said, pointing to an inlet near the fortress. “You may follow at your leisure.” Granger grabbed a back stay and swung himself down to the deck like an acrobat, while Daventry descended using the shrouds in a much more deliberate manner.

“We are going to anchor in that bay,” Granger told Weston. “I’ll want the launch and cutter lowered, so they may take soundings ahead of us.”

“Aye aye, my lord,” Weston said. And so with reefed topsails, Valiant crawled toward the bay until Granger was satisfied with their position, then they anchored.

“I am thinking of how we should handle our visit to Rhodes, and have a few ideas to propose,” Daventry said, even as he watched the men take in Valiant’s sails.

“Then let us talk about them,” Granger said. “I have not explained the details of our mission to my officers yet. I would like them to attend so I can enlighten them, and include them in our deliberations.”

“You trust them?”

“Of course,” Granger snapped, and then calmed himself.

“I will invite my associates as well,” he said. Granger told Winkler he’d be hosting his officers for some refreshments, and while those preparations were taking place, he did just that. Some half an hour later found them seated around Granger’s table. He’d invited his three lieutenants, Treadway, and Meurice, and had also included Waltham. Daventry’s men, Boles and McGillivray, were here as well. In addition to providing muscle for Daventry when he needed it, Boles functioned as Daventry’s valet, while McGillivray acted as his private secretary.

“Welcome, gentlemen,” Granger said. “Lord Daventry and I have been working to unravel a plot by the Guild to discommode Lord Mornington and the Honorable East India Company.” He went on to explain the message and what it said, and their plans to this point.

“This could make our voyage one of the most profitable ever, my lord,” Weston said. “Two hundred and some pounds is a great deal of money.”

“I think our voyage already has been one of the most profitable ever,” Granger said with a smile. “I am not sure how much of that money we will be allowed to retain. Both Lord Daventry and I are concerned that the government will find a way to classify it as some other form than prize money.”

“Surely they’ll have to give us something, my lord?” Boles asked Daventry.

“They will, we just do not know how much,” Daventry answered. “I have entered into an agreement with Lord Granger to divide up whatever money we earn as prize money, where I will share the captain’s portion with Lord Granger, and you and McGillivray will count as lieutenants when dividing up the pot.” That resulted in a lengthy description of how prize money was divided up.

“Before we spend our time trying to divide up our riches, we must first acquire them,” Granger said, truncating the conversation on the division of spoils.

“Of course, my lord,” Weston said.

“Then let us formulate a plan,” Granger said, and the men around the table got down to business.

Copyright © 2017 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 71
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just loved the new chapter, Granger has a new friend that may actually be just a friend and a way of making what could be a great deal of money if their prize is classified a prize. I hope that this leads to a new series of adventures. Why do I not think that it will be as easy to get the money as it seems; after all how deadly could a one eyed priest be??? LOL...

 

I think the letter from Caroline and George's response to it was very significant. While they will continue to be partners, I have to wonder if they will not both find others to occupy certain places in their hearts.

 

Can't wait to see where you take us, Mark. Great job with this story, the writing is excellent as always but the plotting has been particularly good with this story...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Thank you Mark and team for posting another update to George's story it is greatly appreciated!

 

Very interesting byplay between Daventry and George and it definitely could've gotten touchy. George is always been decisive and sure in his actions and further blessed with some incredible luck! Money just seems to fall into his path!

 

The dispatchers are welcome news telling George how is exploits have been received by "the mob" and of course, those who are important to his career and further advancements to come. It is too bad that Caroline seems to have lost George's complete trust and the love he once had for her. It certainly doesn't appear that there is anything that will overcome his current state of feeling towards her. I can only guess that it will have to take Caroline managing to defend George and his family against some ongoing plot of the Guild that would've otherwise caused their downfall. Perhaps that is what it will take to restore Caroline into George's loving affectionats.

 

I do fear for Jardines long term safety because once George and Daventry presumably collect the treasure, it will become clear that George once again foiled the Guild and will certainly cast doubt on what Jardines role could have been. I'm sure that Lady Elgin's role, given her family, will not likely be cast into doubt thereby focusing attention on Jardines. Another thought is how will Lord Elgin react given that he knew George was actively seeking to uncover the plot, seemingly failed, but then George subsequently succeeds? Lord Elgin is cutout of any rewards/benefit of foiling the plan. George's safety may come from the fact that Lord Elgin presumably is not powerful enough in the right circles to cause Georgie serious discomfort. Indeed, I think George's biggest threat will be Lady Elgin in concert with the Guild.

 

To close, no one can accuse Mark of leaving us with a cliffhanger ending when George and company sits in the surface of the bay, looking up at the fortress on top of the mountain/cliff formation...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

And now we have a quest. It just gets better and better! :worship:

 

Also, Daventry is adorable. Let's keep him around for a while. ;)

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I loved this chapter. Daventry seems quite the character, and obviously a smart man. The letter from Caroline told us much about where George is at now with regards to his feelings for her. It was interesting when he thought briefly of Calvert... Is it lingering feelings for him that irritated him, or just the memory of what transpired. At any rate, George is in the midst of a very cool adventure. Thoroughly entertaining chapter, with the added bonus of no Lady Elgin. Thanks and cheers... Gary. PS... i loved how George stuck up for Jardines. I would expect nothing less from him,

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 07/23/2015 12:02 PM, centexhairysub said:

Just loved the new chapter, Granger has a new friend that may actually be just a friend and a way of making what could be a great deal of money if their prize is classified a prize. I hope that this leads to a new series of adventures. Why do I not think that it will be as easy to get the money as it seems; after all how deadly could a one eyed priest be??? LOL...

 

I think the letter from Caroline and George's response to it was very significant. While they will continue to be partners, I have to wonder if they will not both find others to occupy certain places in their hearts.

 

Can't wait to see where you take us, Mark. Great job with this story, the writing is excellent as always but the plotting has been particularly good with this story...

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it! We'll find out more details in Chapter 35.

 

I'm not sure if the issue with George and Caroline is one of other partners, rather, I think it's one where George has adjusted his view of their partnership. It's as if, in his mind, he and Caroline both turned 50, and now they're simply business and political partners. We'll see how that ends up.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 07/23/2015 12:03 PM, KevinD said:

Thank you Mark and team for posting another update to George's story it is greatly appreciated!

 

Very interesting byplay between Daventry and George and it definitely could've gotten touchy. George is always been decisive and sure in his actions and further blessed with some incredible luck! Money just seems to fall into his path!

 

The dispatchers are welcome news telling George how is exploits have been received by "the mob" and of course, those who are important to his career and further advancements to come. It is too bad that Caroline seems to have lost George's complete trust and the love he once had for her. It certainly doesn't appear that there is anything that will overcome his current state of feeling towards her. I can only guess that it will have to take Caroline managing to defend George and his family against some ongoing plot of the Guild that would've otherwise caused their downfall. Perhaps that is what it will take to restore Caroline into George's loving affectionats.

 

I do fear for Jardines long term safety because once George and Daventry presumably collect the treasure, it will become clear that George once again foiled the Guild and will certainly cast doubt on what Jardines role could have been. I'm sure that Lady Elgin's role, given her family, will not likely be cast into doubt thereby focusing attention on Jardines. Another thought is how will Lord Elgin react given that he knew George was actively seeking to uncover the plot, seemingly failed, but then George subsequently succeeds? Lord Elgin is cutout of any rewards/benefit of foiling the plan. George's safety may come from the fact that Lord Elgin presumably is not powerful enough in the right circles to cause Georgie serious discomfort. Indeed, I think George's biggest threat will be Lady Elgin in concert with the Guild.

 

To close, no one can accuse Mark of leaving us with a cliffhanger ending when George and company sits in the surface of the bay, looking up at the fortress on top of the mountain/cliff formation...

Thanks Kevin! I think that Daventry and Granger have personal styles that normally complement each other, as opposed to Granger and Mornington, who did not.

 

I think that the Guild will have an interesting time piecing what really happened together, but you're right in that Elgin may have some suspicions. And I think that once they figure things out, Jardines is probably safe only so long as he stays on Tenedos.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 07/23/2015 01:14 PM, impunity said:

And now we have a quest. It just gets better and better! :worship:

 

Also, Daventry is adorable. Let's keep him around for a while. ;)

I'm glad you like our new viscount! We'll keep him around, probably. :-)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 07/23/2015 02:36 PM, Headstall said:

I loved this chapter. Daventry seems quite the character, and obviously a smart man. The letter from Caroline told us much about where George is at now with regards to his feelings for her. It was interesting when he thought briefly of Calvert... Is it lingering feelings for him that irritated him, or just the memory of what transpired. At any rate, George is in the midst of a very cool adventure. Thoroughly entertaining chapter, with the added bonus of no Lady Elgin. Thanks and cheers... Gary. PS... i loved how George stuck up for Jardines. I would expect nothing less from him,

Thanks Gary. Daventry represents, in my mind, the quintessential dandy. He's cultured, witty and humorous, but in Daventry's case, seems quite principled.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Thanks for my Granger fix. It does seem fortuitous that Daventry did not deliver the correspondence first...

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Thanks for the update, I love how treasure mappy the whole message turned out. My heart is heavy over Caroline, but life goes on regardless.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I only began reading the series in 2012. The title Oddesy caught my eye and after reading the first chapter I decided I'd best go back and start at the beginning. Very glad I did. I was also glad when I caught up and was prevented from going on s reading binge - eyes burning at two in the morning so I could get in one more chapter.

 

I fear we have not heard the last of the Elgins, bad pennies just keep turning up. I have no doubt the quest for the one eyed priest will yield some surprises as well. You always keep us guessing.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/24/2015 12:18 AM, Daddydavek said:

Thanks for my Granger fix. It does seem fortuitous that Daventry did not deliver the correspondence first...

It does. Hopefully it was just an oversight.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 07/24/2015 04:34 AM, Miles Long said:

Thanks for the update, I love how treasure mappy the whole message turned out. My heart is heavy over Caroline, but life goes on regardless.

I haven't done the treasure mappy thing, so it's a bit fun and different. :-)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 07/24/2015 10:14 AM, KaimukiMan said:

I only began reading the series in 2012. The title Oddesy caught my eye and after reading the first chapter I decided I'd best go back and start at the beginning. Very glad I did. I was also glad when I caught up and was prevented from going on s reading binge - eyes burning at two in the morning so I could get in one more chapter.

 

I fear we have not heard the last of the Elgins, bad pennies just keep turning up. I have no doubt the quest for the one eyed priest will yield some surprises as well. You always keep us guessing.

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you liked Odyssey. I think that of all the books I've written, that is the one I am proudest of.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

George just can't seem to avoid prize money.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 3/23/2024 at 9:15 PM, drpaladin said:

George just can't seem to avoid prize money.

Such a problem!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..